PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Engine Performance

christophulus
26th November 2009, 20:31
Interesting piece on James Allen's blog about the engine performance from the last year. The difference in engine power is estimated at about 18bhp, so not a massive amount, with the Toyota lowest on power.

Also, there's a bit of data on fuel efficiency, with Renault coming out best - which could be crucial next year:

Compared to the Mercedes, the Renault would go four laps longer on a full tank of fuel, which is worth about 3/10ths of a second per lap next year. The Ferrari was less efficient than the Mercedes, as we saw on several occasions this year

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/11/analysis-of-f1-engine-performance-in-2009/

UltimateDanGTR
26th November 2009, 20:54
renault engines with a possible advantage of 3 tenths per second? ha, 2010 just got even more intriguing!

ioan
26th November 2009, 22:21
Interesting piece on James Allen's blog about the engine performance from the last year. The difference in engine power is estimated at about 18bhp, so not a massive amount, with the Toyota lowest on power.

Also, there's a bit of data on fuel efficiency, with Renault coming out best - which could be crucial next year:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/11/analysis-of-f1-engine-performance-in-2009/

Looks to me that JA picked up the 3/10ths of a second value and played with it through his article with the argument 'like we saw on several occasions'.

Also saying that 18hp is worth only 3 tenths per lap is a bit out of place when the difference between 1st and 10th was 0.3 -0.4 seconds.

Saint Devote
26th November 2009, 22:43
:eek: oh god!, the ANORAKS have arrived and its not even December yet!!!

Sonic
27th November 2009, 10:10
Since when do we believe JA?

jens
27th November 2009, 18:45

IMO the information presented on his website is more valuable than on many other sites. At least James isn't some kind of a "yellow journalist" trying to get attention with random empty rumours, but writes about what he has really heard. For instance Barrichello->Williams rumour first popped up on his site IIRC.

Anyway, his information seems quite similar to what has been rumoured so far - Toyota the least powerful (evidenced at Monza), Renault the most fuel-efficient (evidenced by pre-race weights and pitstops comparison). Like in a recent prediction thread, I still think that both Red Bull and Renault might impress next year - and such engine will certainly help their case. But what I gather from Allen's information is that Cosworth seems quite a fine engine in terms of power.

Robinho
27th November 2009, 18:53

cos its not him, he's just reporting it

There is a great piece of work on Auto Motor und Sport’s website with an analysis of the engines in this year’s world championship. The analysis is based on collating the information each engine builder has about each other.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

its actually quite a decent piece, like most of the things on his website - he may have been a proper e commentater, but he's reporting skills and take on the F1 world is as good as any other i've read - and i was a fully paid up, card carrying member of the James Allen hate campaign