PDA

View Full Version : Is Penske buying BMW Sauber to join F1 in 2010?

Giuseppe F1
26th November 2009, 16:06
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091126163707.shtml

Sauber linked with US investors

26/11/09 16:37

With the Qadbak buyout reportedly in tatters, another investor is set to step in and rescue the Sauber team, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport......

.......The collapse of the Qadbak deal would explain the FIA's reluctance so far to grant Sauber the thirteenth guaranteed slot on the 2010 grid, vacated when Toyota announced its decision to leave formula one. But Auto Motor und Sport insists there is still hope for the Hinwil based team, in the form of American investors.

The report did not name the investors, but said they are "known" and would be welcomed into the paddock by Bernie Ecclestone, who is keen to bring the US back to his annual race calendar.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

Chamoo
26th November 2009, 16:18
It seems like a big stretch from that article that Penske is coming. It could be any known American racer.

Why not Andretti Autosport? It has a rather european tone.

beachbum
26th November 2009, 17:21
How about US F1? They need a car.

Sonic
26th November 2009, 17:45
It seems like a big stretch from that article that Penske is coming. It could be any known American racer.

Why not Andretti Autosport? It has a rather european tone.

Indeed. There is nothing there to suggest Penske (unless you know something we don't). That said i 'd like to see a North American team get the job done next year.

Jag_Warrior
26th November 2009, 17:47
Penske? I'd like to see it. Love him or hate him, at least if he was involved, you know it would be done right from stem to stern.

Dr. Krogshöj
26th November 2009, 18:32
How about US F1? They need a car.

If they do, they can probably buy the design of the 2010 Toyota for considerably less money, I suppose.

Chamoo
26th November 2009, 19:36
If they do, they can probably buy the design of the 2010 Toyota for considerably less money, I suppose.

I believe Lotus already has the inside line on that one.

anthonyvop
26th November 2009, 19:39
You know that BMW already has a car on the drawing board.

Hondo
26th November 2009, 20:09
Penske? I'd like to see it. Love him or hate him, at least if he was involved, you know it would be done right from stem to stern.

That's why you won't see Penske in F1. After all the CART-IRL garbage, why would he want the headache of FIA-F1's full time bickering, bitching, whining, and rule changing?

Shifter
26th November 2009, 20:24
It should be noted that Penske did just shut down their sports car program entirely, so that leaves them only IRL and Nascar...A successful team in a weak motorsport and a weak team in a strong motorsport. Furthermore Penske backed out of the Saturn deal. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if all this was to free up capital for F1.

Saint Devote
26th November 2009, 22:38
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091126163707.shtml

Sauber linked with US investors

26/11/09 16:37

With the Qadbak buyout reportedly in tatters, another investor is set to step in and rescue the Sauber team, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport......

.......The collapse of the Qadbak deal would explain the FIA's reluctance so far to grant Sauber the thirteenth guaranteed slot on the 2010 grid, vacated when Toyota announced its decision to leave formula one. But Auto Motor und Sport insists there is still hope for the Hinwil based team, in the form of American investors.

The report did not name the investors, but said they are "known" and would be welcomed into the paddock by Bernie Ecclestone, who is keen to bring the US back to his annual race calendar.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

It will not be any Americn racing team, they are not wealthy enough - money from the US as "investors" will come from the same source as CVC, US financial market investors, if this story is true.

Dr. Krogshöj
26th November 2009, 22:40
You know that BMW already has a car on the drawing board.

They obviously do, and probably have started manufacturing as well, but so has Toyota. And they are selling just the design, not an entire team, and that ought to be cheaper.

Chamoo
26th November 2009, 23:51
Furthermore Penske backed out of the Saturn deal. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if all this was to free up capital for F1.

The reason Penske shut down the Grand-Am program is because Penske stopped paying him to run Grand-Am. He also needed the men who ran the Grand-Am team to move over to the third IRL car for Will Power.

bblocker68
27th November 2009, 17:48
Peter Sauber bought back the BMW share of his team. No Penske.