PDA

View Full Version : James May's Toy Stories at Brooklands

Mark
18th November 2009, 08:27
Just watched this last night. They set up a Scalextric track around the entire route of the old Brooklands circuit.

It's a good programme just from the point of view of Scalextric and the race they manage to do, but also to see what's left of Brooklands. Hard to believe that this circuit with all it's history, the first permanent race track in the world no less, and had a business park, dual carraigeway and housing estate built on the route of the track!

AndyRAC
18th November 2009, 08:46
Just watched this last night. They set up a Scalextric track around the entire route of the old Brooklands circuit.

It's a good programme just from the point of view of Scalextric and the race they manage to do, but also to see what's left of Brooklands. Hard to believe that this circuit with all it's history, the first permanent race track in the world no less, and had a business park, dual carraigeway and housing estate built on the route of the track!

Completely agree - I thought that part of it was quite depressing, all that history bulldozed. :mad:

Thought it was good, though I thought the 'marshaling' was a bit lax.... http://www.britishrally.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/smiley2.gif letting the speccies walk over the track, and photographers lie on it for a better head on shot... http://www.britishrally.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/smiley2.gif

Thought the experts would have won, mind you.

BeansBeansBeans
18th November 2009, 09:19
I think you're both being overly sentimental.

It was only used for 32 years (a blink of an eye in 'history' terms) and had lay dormant for decades before the housing estate and business park were built.

It was a cracking programme though.

Dave B
18th November 2009, 10:40
The whole series has been great, but last night's was the best yet. I was amazed at how steep an incline a little "toy" car could manage!

It's amazing what you can achieve with a TV budget and a celebrity name behind you :D

Sonic
18th November 2009, 11:30
Haven't seen the show yet but I've got it series saved so I'll probably watch it this weekend.

Did they show any of Merc World @ Brooklands?

Mark
18th November 2009, 12:06
Did they show any of Merc World @ Brooklands?

Yes. The local team were given training in real cars to help them understand how Scalextric works, and it did seem to help them.

Sonic
18th November 2009, 12:11
Cool. Even more reason to watch - so I can rib a few old mates!

UltimateDanGTR
18th November 2009, 16:40
fantastic series and this was a fantastic program-even better done than my personal favourite beforehand the airfix kits! i was amazed by the capabilities of scalextric cars up those steep hills, and the Tiff Nedell thing were he was the 'roving reporter' was great as well. (even if he has got quite an exxagerated voice)

also nice to see community spirit still exists in places of britain, and that the residents respect the history of the place, which surprised me to be honest.

PuddleJumper
18th November 2009, 22:01
According to the TV guide it was the last episode, but I thought there was one with a Lego house and another with a model railway. What happened to those?

Mark
19th November 2009, 08:47
According to the TV guide it was the last episode, but I thought there was one with a Lego house and another with a model railway. What happened to those?

Christmas specials, I believe.