PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes GP drivers

truefan72
17th November 2009, 17:47
so now that Button is gone to Mclaren

Will Rosberg be confirmed soon at brawn.
btw he was making 4.5 mill last year and I can't see him taking apay cut to be at Brawn. Seems like Brawn, I mean Mercedes GP, are already a bit stingy in terms of driver compensation.

I think the odds on favorite to join Rosberg would be Kimi, but I think that if they want to be cheap, they will sign Davidson in that second seat.

Kimi will go to Renault or sit a year out.

ioan
18th November 2009, 18:26
I hope Heidfeld gets the 2nd seat, especially if the Sauber Qadback plans don't materialize.

18th November 2009, 18:54
It will be Kubica.

That's the big "surprise" Haug was hinting at.

Possibly, maybe, worth a quid at the bookies!

woody2goody
18th November 2009, 19:06
It will be Kubica.

Doubt it, but it's only a quid mate ;)

Heidfeld is my guess. Kubica does have a contract with Renault, and I'm pretty sure they'll be sticking around.

F1boat
18th November 2009, 21:03
It will be Kubica.

I thought about this. But it doesn't make sense if they want to make Nico the star, as claimed in the media. But you might be right. I guess we have to wait and see what happens...

ClarkFan
19th November 2009, 00:20
Doubt it, but it's only a quid mate ;)

Heidfeld is my guess. Kubica does have a contract with Renault, and I'm pretty sure they'll be sticking around.
Well, the maybe, sorta stories around Renault leaving make Kubica/Brawn at least a sporting proposition. With the right odds from your bookie, it could be attractive. ;)

ClarkFan

Valve Bounce
19th November 2009, 00:23
Well, it's almost December, and if they drag this out, it could turn out to be Santa. :p :

Julle69
19th November 2009, 06:49
Raikkonen - Rosberg ??
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80215

Roamy
19th November 2009, 07:13
http://totalf1.com/details/view/325736/Villeneuve_resumes_intensive_training/

F1boat
19th November 2009, 08:08
Raikkonen - Rosberg ??
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80215

Wow.

Bagwan
19th November 2009, 12:37

Shhhhhhh .
Don't jinx it , cowboy .

Garry Walker
19th November 2009, 12:56
Hopefully Kimi and Nico. Nico is of course pretty much 100% certain.

Roamy
19th November 2009, 16:15
i assume they have to neg with ferrari who is paying the ticket on kimi this year. that probably gives merc and pretty good deal and chance of signing kimi. but getting dumped in favor of alonso and massa should trigger some kind of question mark

Roamy
19th November 2009, 16:16
Shhhhhhh .
Don't jinx it , cowboy .

its ok BAG he would train just as hard for CRASHCAR.
but he should be driving something I would think.

UltimateDanGTR
19th November 2009, 16:31
I hope Heidfeld gets the 2nd seat, especially if the Sauber Qadback plans don't materialize.

agreed. heidfeld would be the best option, now that kimi is off to rallying. and if merc has a good race winning car, then two drivers (the other being rosberg) who i strongly believe in their talents would finally get a chance to show their worth. i hope i am right and they are as good as i think they am, time will tell.

Bagwan
19th November 2009, 16:35
its ok BAG he would train just as hard for CRASHCAR.
but he should be driving something I would think.

Merc just saved themselves $12mill on the boy band , and our boy don't need the dosh , dude .
He's talking about how nasty working out in the sauna for Bahrain will be , and the Crashcars aren't going there any time soon .

They were offering Bun bun $8mill plus cash for wins . Drop the $8mill , and you have a driver , a really hungry one .

ratonmacias
19th November 2009, 16:54

i wish jv comes back. but if he comes back i think it will be with one of the new teams.

truefan72
19th November 2009, 16:58
so the story is not as clear cut as I thought. I did not know that Brawn offered 12 mill ( actually more like 8mill guaranteed) and would have been 2 mill more than he got from mclaren and potentially double that with some race wins.

On the other hand, Brawn should not have gotten angry at button visiting another team, it happens and they overacted by rescinding the offer.

Anyway. looks like Kimi is having a change of hear and might just end up at Brawn, if not, my odds on favorite is now sutil to join Rosberg.

gloomyDAY
19th November 2009, 17:00
http://totalf1.com/details/view/325736/Villeneuve_resumes_intensive_training/You just ruined my day.

Thanks you b@stard. :p

Bagwan
19th November 2009, 19:15
i wish jv comes back. but if he comes back i think it will be with one of the new teams.

Rat , aint it great to see that there may be a spot , wherever it is ?

Jock , being an old dog like Ross , and someone who has seen it on the ground , wants JV back in , and Ross will have noticed this .

If you could spend a mint on a Finn , or a pittance on a Canuck , what would you do ?

woody2goody
19th November 2009, 19:22
Villeneuve back next year would be great.

Hey, my honest opinion is that he's still got it, and would do well. He's younger than a couple of the guys who might be on the grid next year, so why not?

Koz
19th November 2009, 23:35
I want Juan Pablo Montoya in a Mercedes next year!

ShiftingGears
20th November 2009, 04:40
Villeneuve back next year would be great.

Hey, my honest opinion is that he's still got it, and would do well. He's younger than a couple of the guys who might be on the grid next year, so why not?

Villeneuve didn't do anything remarkable in F1 for a long time before he retired, and hasn't shown anything in other series since. I see no reason at all to have him back in F1.

woody2goody
20th November 2009, 04:42
Villeneuve didn't do anything remarkable in F1 for a long time before he retired, and hasn't shown anything in other series since. I see no reason at all to have him back in F1.

Well the slick tyres and lack of electronic aids should help Jacques. I realise he wasn't great in 05, but he was improving in 06 before being dumped out of the team. He would have done well in those fast BMWs of 07 and 08.

F1boat
20th November 2009, 06:01

I agree. I never understood why some people are so crazy about him.

ShiftingGears
20th November 2009, 06:46
Well the slick tyres and lack of electronic aids should help Jacques. I realise he wasn't great in 05, but he was improving in 06 before being dumped out of the team. He would have done well in those fast BMWs of 07 and 08.

Look, the best drivers adapt to whatever cars they are given. So Villeneuve's experience in driving cars with slicks is completely irrelevant.

Drivers in feeder series that are much more rapid than JV have slicks and no drivers aids, they would be an infinitely better choice.

Kubica performed much better than JV ever did in BMW, and that was just in Kubica's first few races.

aryan
20th November 2009, 07:43
Well the slick tyres and lack of electronic aids should help Jacques.

Keep flogging that dead horse.

Dave B
20th November 2009, 08:18
Jock , being an old dog like Ross , and someone who has seen it on the ground , wants JV back in , and Ross will have noticed this
This myth is based on a comment Clear made to the effect that Villeneuve "would enjoy" driving the current breed of car. Jock never said that he'd be any good at it, nor that his services might be required.

Heck, I "would enjoy" singing the greatest hits of Queen in the Royal Albert Hall, but I wouldn't inflict that on anybody's eardrums.

Villeneuve faded into obscurity during his time at BAR, and his subsequent outings with Renault and Sauber did nothing to suggest he was still F1 material. Dragging him back would be an embarrassment all round.

Bagwan
20th November 2009, 13:08
This myth is based on a comment Clear made to the effect that Villeneuve "would enjoy" driving the current breed of car. Jock never said that he'd be any good at it, nor that his services might be required.

Heck, I "would enjoy" singing the greatest hits of Queen in the Royal Albert Hall, but I wouldn't inflict that on anybody's eardrums.

Villeneuve faded into obscurity during his time at BAR, and his subsequent outings with Renault and Sauber did nothing to suggest he was still F1 material. Dragging him back would be an embarrassment all round.

Yes , Dave , you must be right .
The conversation he had with Jacques only lasted one sentence .
"You would enjoy it" , he said , and hung the phone up straight away .

And , based on that four word sentence , Jacques is now training hard .

I don't think so , Davey .

"Dragging him back" , I agree , would be an embarrassment , but not for all , just for those he beats .
Jock knows Jacques , and says "you would enjoy it " , knowing he would do well .
He knows Jacques is easy on the tires , and that is paramount in no refuelling
times .
He knows he can develop a car , which is something the Brawn team was unable to accomplish over the season .
He knows he has the hunger , and the dosh to drive for little cash .

If he's back in the seat , it will be hat eating time for you , Dave .
You're gonna have to learn how to say nice things about JV . It's gonna be hard , but I'm here for you , man .

F1boat
20th November 2009, 13:24
Yes , Dave , you must be right .
The conversation he had with Jacques only lasted one sentence .
"You would enjoy it" , he said , and hung the phone up straight away .

And , based on that four word sentence , Jacques is now training hard .

I don't think so , Davey .

"Dragging him back" , I agree , would be an embarrassment , but not for all , just for those he beats .
Jock knows Jacques , and says "you would enjoy it " , knowing he would do well .
He knows Jacques is easy on the tires , and that is paramount in no refuelling
times .
He knows he can develop a car , which is something the Brawn team was unable to accomplish over the season .
He knows he has the hunger , and the dosh to drive for little cash .

If he's back in the seat , it will be hat eating time for you , Dave .
You're gonna have to learn how to say nice things about JV . It's gonna be hard , but I'm here for you , man .
IMO he can't develop a car. The Williams went backwards even in 1997, ehen the Renault was still there and were getting weaker in 1998. In BAR he never made an impression of good developer IMO. If he comes back in Mercedes, Nico will be able to say that he beat a WDC.

ozrevhead
20th November 2009, 13:27
I know this is nothing but gut feeling but ive got a funny feeling that Vettel will end up there in 2010 somehow - contracts in F1 are about as much worth as the paper they are written on!

Nothing concreate but just a hunch

Bagwan
20th November 2009, 13:43
IMO he can't develop a car. The Williams went backwards even in 1997, ehen the Renault was still there and were getting weaker in 1998. In BAR he never made an impression of good developer IMO. If he comes back in Mercedes, Nico will be able to say that he beat a WDC.

Boatman , he fought tooth and nail with Reynard at BAR . It's hard to develop a car with the wings falling off and the chassis flexing all over .
Once JV and JC used the ballast weight in carbon fibre stiffeners on the chassis , the car improved , but it was a struggle to even get the OK to try to develop the thing .

pettersolberg29
20th November 2009, 15:22
I don't know if anyones seen this, but seems interesting to me:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=352579&FS=F1

Basically:
- Rosberg already signed
- second seat not to be filled soon
- Haug wants Kimi

woody2goody
20th November 2009, 16:20

I agree with that, he never has shown much in that regard.

Anyway, nobody said anything about Mercedes for Jacques, that would be stupid on their behalf.

What I was saying is that maybe he would have something to offer USF1 for instance - an experienced driver with a good reputation and marketability.

woody2goody
20th November 2009, 16:21
I reckon this wasn't so unlikely after all:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8368107.stm

Looks like they are trying to broker a deal with Michael after all :)

pettersolberg29
20th November 2009, 16:29
That suggests Schumacher is back for real. Last time EJ predicted a change he was right so theres no reason this shouldnt be right.

Have to admit my heart sunk when I read it though. Where's Nick going to go? Been an obsessive fan since 01 and I cant believe its the end. I now sympathise with Kimi fans.

UltimateDanGTR
20th November 2009, 16:32
Have to admit my heart sunk when I read it though. Where's Nick going to go?

hopefully Sauber if they come into fruition (if the fia let them and just get on with saying yes or no :rolleyes: )

christophulus
20th November 2009, 16:49
Great for publicity but far too much of a risk for Schumacher. What if he isn't fit enough to do the whole season? What if the car is off the pace? He'd be better served staying in retirement having ended on a high, rather than come back for another season - it's hardly going to be a long term comeback.

woody2goody
20th November 2009, 17:08
That suggests Schumacher is back for real. Last time EJ predicted a change he was right so theres no reason this shouldnt be right.

Have to admit my heart sunk when I read it though. Where's Nick going to go? Been an obsessive fan since 01 and I cant believe its the end. I now sympathise with Kimi fans.

I agree with that about Nick, he's one of my top 3 drivers. It's a shame for him, but he's easily good enough to take another seat. There are still seats at Renault, Force India and all the new teams, so it's not over for Nick by a long shot.

Anyway, Michael might not decide to join Mercedes.

Julle69
20th November 2009, 23:52
I know it's aint gonna happen...but Raikkonen-Schumacher in Mercedes would be the greatest announcment for formula 1.

aryan
21st November 2009, 00:06
I know it's aint gonna happen...but Raikkonen-Schumacher in Mercedes would be the greatest announcment for formula 1.

No, it will NEVER happen, but I grant you that, it will be a hell of a team. Perhaps the only combination that can not only match Massa/Alonso and Button/Hamilton, but overshadow them.

Valve Bounce
21st November 2009, 00:31
I reckon this wasn't so unlikely after all:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8368107.stm

Looks like they are trying to broker a deal with Michael after all :)

This is not fair. Somebody should have warned ioan to sit down comfortably, with his safety belt firmly tightened before he accesses this article.

But having now warned ioan, I think that Eddie's article and arguments are compelling, as he was involved in some wheeling and dealing with Mercedes to get SchM started in F1. His reasoning that Mercedes will ultimately be after Vettel is very persuasive, and I think this all pans out when we find how good the Renault engine will be next year.

Saint Devote
21st November 2009, 00:49

I dont see any reason to have any driver back that has retired.

But the BAR team was long-term project and JV struggled through it. In interviews he has often mentioned how he drove harder than when he was winning in the Williams.

He achieved nothing since 1997? JV stated that he is also proud that Jenson won in the Brawn, because it was the creation of BAR from Tyrrell that led to Honda and finally Brawn.

Jacques Villeneuve was a significant part of this and it IS remarkable.

And while failure is a lonely orphan and success always has many fathers claiming - in this case the claim would be true.

ioan
21st November 2009, 09:37
This is not fair. Somebody should have warned ioan to sit down comfortably, with his safety belt firmly tightened before he accesses this article.

I guess I'm lucky as I didn't read it. :)
So your warning is in time.

curry
21st November 2009, 10:25

EJ also stated in the Abu Dhabi BBC coverage that there is no way Button will go to Mclaren!

Sonic
21st November 2009, 10:43
EJ also stated in the Abu Dhabi BBC coverage that there is no way Button will go to Mclaren!

EJ gets it wrong so often the law of averages auggests he'll stumble across the truth once in a while.

Saint Devote
22nd November 2009, 11:36
It would be totally out of character for Mercedes to govern the team in such a reactionary way.

The modern trend requires at least medium term - three years - investments in drivers.

The cars are very difficult to handle since the advent of control tyres iin 2007 and Schumacher would return to a situation where current top drivers generally have a three year advantage.

And no matter how much time he could spend in the simulator it is no substitute.

Then there is the abundance of good drivers that Mercedes could use to groom alongside Nico Rosberg. Rosberg has served an able apprenticeship and is ready for the challenge to be team leader in 2010. He is quite capable of winning for the team.

EJ is seriously stuck in the past and remembers Schumacher as he was - where someone like Hulkenberg is now.

I'd agree that they would rather be after Vettel with a hawkeyes tracking of Hulkenberg or someone like Bianchi - who Ferrari appear to be after or Ricciardo.

The grid for GP2 2010 is AS exciting as the line-up in f1 for 2010.

I'd say that at the most Schumacher could go to Mercedes as their test driver - problem however is that someone like Schumi would only do that if the stupid testing rules were abandoned. he is not a simulator kind of guy!!

Garry Walker
22nd November 2009, 13:59

He would have got beaten in 2007 and in 2008 too.
There is nothing to indicate he would have done better with those cars than with other cars.

Bagwan
22nd November 2009, 18:10
He would have got beaten in 2007 and in 2008 too.
There is nothing to indicate he would have done better with those cars than with other cars.

You could be right about this , Gary , as they were clad with groovy tires , and had crazy aeros those years . Along with the loathing of politics , this was a main reason for no pleasure out of the driving , and hence , his leaving .

This is evident because he was apparently lured back by Jock saying he would enjoy the cars now .

No re-fuelling has a guy who can baby his tires , at a distinct advantage .

There's one point that hasn't been made in this thread yet , and that is that Haug did say the announcement would be a surprise .
There is a list in the press of drivers that might fit the seat , but , bar Shuey , none would be really surprising .

JV is training hard , and I don't think anybody on the board here would be anything but surprised if he got the seat .
JV said things are going well with negotiations for a seat , with a big smile . I don't think he'd be smiling so wide if he were alluding to USF1 . He doesn't need a ride that badly .

I have seen pics of JV and Haug , smiling together .

airshifter
22nd November 2009, 18:35
You could be right about this , Gary , as they were clad with groovy tires , and had crazy aeros those years . Along with the loathing of politics , this was a main reason for no pleasure out of the driving , and hence , his leaving .

This is evident because he was apparently lured back by Jock saying he would enjoy the cars now .

No re-fuelling has a guy who can baby his tires , at a distinct advantage .

There's one point that hasn't been made in this thread yet , and that is that Haug did say the announcement would be a surprise .
There is a list in the press of drivers that might fit the seat , but , bar Shuey , none would be really surprising .

JV is training hard , and I don't think anybody on the board here would be anything but surprised if he got the seat .
JV said things are going well with negotiations for a seat , with a big smile . I don't think he'd be smiling so wide if he were alluding to USF1 . He doesn't need a ride that badly .

I have seen pics of JV and Haug , smiling together .

Stranger things have happened. :laugh:

I do appreciate that everyone speculates who it might or might not be, and debates to know end why it should be that person. At least you and some others regard it as speculation.

It seems that some think every opinion is a known fact, and try to convince everyone else that their delusion is true!

K-Pu
22nd November 2009, 18:44
What would be REALLY surprising is Rosberg being out of Merc because they´ve signed Schumacher and Raikkonen :D . Or even more surprising, because they chose de la Rosa as 1st driver with Schumacher 2nd and Raikkonen 3rd...

Now seriously, I think it´s far more easy to make Raikkonen drive than bringing back Schumacher from wherever he is (a hard task if we hear all the rumors).

Saint Devote
22nd November 2009, 18:44
As Norbert Haug says it will be a surprise and thatthe team is "international" - maybe they have selected someone like Vitaly Petrov!!!

I cannot believe that they would try and "resurrect the dead" - it just does not fit.

And even Raikonnen - he is a driver that does not care whether he is in or out of f1 and definitely a team like Mercedes will require pr work.

Bagwan
22nd November 2009, 23:21
Stranger things have happened. :laugh:

I do appreciate that everyone speculates who it might or might not be, and debates to know end why it should be that person. At least you and some others regard it as speculation.

It seems that some think every opinion is a known fact, and try to convince everyone else that their delusion is true!

I'm trying to figure out just whether you think I'm deluded or not .
From your smiley face , I'm kinda thinkin' you're thinkin' I am .

You are not alone .

But , I don't think you will be one of the most surprised , either , being the thinking man you are .

Jacques was evasive when asked if he had a ride .
He asked the reporter why he would train so hard , and be away from his kids if things weren't looking good .

This is Jacques-straight forward no BS tell it like it is -Villeneuve being evasive , asking a question in response to a question .
Hence , something's up .

Bagwan
22nd November 2009, 23:38
As Norbert Haug says it will be a surprise and thatthe team is "international" - maybe they have selected someone like Vitaly Petrov!!!

I cannot believe that they would try and "resurrect the dead" - it just does not fit.

And even Raikonnen - he is a driver that does not care whether he is in or out of f1 and definitely a team like Mercedes will require pr work.

So , you be one of the more surprised then , would you ?

You do recall that it was JV's former race engineer , who works for BGP , who suggested the idea , don't you ?

Saint Devote
23rd November 2009, 01:01
So , you be one of the more surprised then , would you ?

You do recall that it was JV's former race engineer , who works for BGP , who suggested the idea , don't you ?

How clear can Clear be? :D

If Mercedes were to select Villeneuve, it would be a CLEAR sign that Ross Brawn has already been sidelined.

Exactly what logical reasons can be presented to install JV in one of motor racings top seat? None.

In this case I would not be surprised, I would be flabbergastered [spelling?] and do not be mistaken that the German auto press would not react with great disatisfaction.

There is such an abundance of ability at top level international racing today - why shut them out and select anyone that has already had their chance in f1?

Garry Walker
23rd November 2009, 12:30
There is more chance of me having sex with all the supermodels of Victorias Secret than Villeneuve getting the seat at Mercedes.

Bagwan
23rd November 2009, 13:30
There is more chance of me having sex with all the supermodels of Victorias Secret than Villeneuve getting the seat at Mercedes.

They are busy , in training with JV .
Wait your turn .

Dave B
23rd November 2009, 13:30
I've not seen any credible journalist or commentator linking Villeneuve with any top teams. Nor indeed any evidence of any link with any team, save from that much-mentioned throwaway comment by Clear that JV "would enjoy" driving.

keysersoze
23rd November 2009, 13:32
If the selection is, according to Haug, going to be a surprise, then I'm guessing either Kubica being bought out of his Renault contract, or Adrian Sutil.

Bagwan
23rd November 2009, 13:41
How clear can Clear be? :D

If Mercedes were to select Villeneuve, it would be a CLEAR sign that Ross Brawn has already been sidelined.

Exactly what logical reasons can be presented to install JV in one of motor racings top seat? None.

In this case I would not be surprised, I would be flabbergastered [spelling?] and do not be mistaken that the German auto press would not react with great disatisfaction.

There is such an abundance of ability at top level international racing today - why shut them out and select anyone that has already had their chance in f1?

Question #1 -Clearly , Clear was clear . He said he should come back .

2-Clear , I would assume , speaks to Ross , and if signed , would clearly show Ross is still in charge .

3-He's a fast , smooth , cheap WDC , and a PR magnet .

4-Rosberg should satisfy the Germans .

5-See above .

This is fun . More questions before you get your surprise ?

Bagwan
23rd November 2009, 13:44
I've not seen any credible journalist or commentator linking Villeneuve with any top teams. Nor indeed any evidence of any link with any team, save from that much-mentioned throwaway comment by Clear that JV "would enjoy" driving.

So , you don't take his own words as having any weight , Dave ?

"Going well" from the horses mouth holds no sway ?

RS
23rd November 2009, 16:04
I could see Raikkonen there (Haug is probably quite fond of him, no?) and Heidfeld would be solid.

But Nico is team leader material these days, I would take someone young but with experience who deserves another chance in F1. Christian Klien maybe, he is also from a Germanic country.

Dave B
23rd November 2009, 16:07
So , you don't take his own words as having any weight , Dave ?

"Going well" from the horses mouth holds no sway ?
No, we've been though this before. Clear said that JV "would enjoy" driving the current spec of cars. He did not say that there was the remotest chance of this ever happening, nor that he would be any good at it.

I "would enjoy" playing Ronnie O'Sullivan at the Crucible or singing lead vocals for Queen at the Royal Albert Hall, but I think we could all predict how that would end up. Jaques returning to the cockpit of an F1 car would be equally embarrassing for all concerned.

F1boat
23rd November 2009, 16:57
Jeez, there are rumors about Kimi and MS and we are discussing JV...

Dave B
23rd November 2009, 17:45
Any truth in the rumour that Uncle Bryn will be the test driver? :p

23rd November 2009, 18:25
Saying that James Corden was a VIP with Brawn in Abu Dhabi so anything is possible.

Perhaps Brawn wanted to see what it was like having a talentless fat unfunny twxt in the garage before they let Norbert Haug take the role full-time?

Actually, that's unfair on Haug. He looks like he might be a laugh. Unlike Corden, who isn't.

Valve Bounce
23rd November 2009, 22:14
Jeez, there are rumors about Kimi and MS and we are discussing JV...

Look at it from our viewpoint: the next race is nearly 4 months away, the Bunsen to McLaren topic has been done to death, and there is nothing else to talk about here. Everyone is desperate to find something, anything to avoid extreme somnolence.

Arriva Jacques!! Hola!! Let's jive man!! Go cat Go!!

Bagwan
23rd November 2009, 23:39
No, we've been though this before. Clear said that JV "would enjoy" driving the current spec of cars. He did not say that there was the remotest chance of this ever happening, nor that he would be any good at it.

I "would enjoy" playing Ronnie O'Sullivan at the Crucible or singing lead vocals for Queen at the Royal Albert Hall, but I think we could all predict how that would end up. Jaques returning to the cockpit of an F1 car would be equally embarrassing for all concerned.

Jacques once said he was done with F1 , and it was done with him .
You believed him , didn't you ?
Now , when he says he is going to make a comeback , because Jock says he would enjoy it again , you don't . I am assuming you saw the interview with JV and Mika when he expressed this .

You seem to think it was either just a "flip" comment from Jock , or that he said no more than that .
JV said the conversation was why he changed his mind .

Now , if JV were offered the mic in front of Queen , I might see it as embarrassing .

Saint Devote
23rd November 2009, 23:46
Question #1 -Clearly , Clear was clear . He said he should come back .

2-Clear , I would assume , speaks to Ross , and if signed , would clearly show Ross is still in charge .

3-He's a fast , smooth , cheap WDC , and a PR magnet .

4-Rosberg should satisfy the Germans .

5-See above .

This is fun . More questions before you get your surprise ?

No, it is clearly quite clear - to be clear about this. Clear?

Long live John Cleese! :D

Saint Devote
23rd November 2009, 23:53
Ouch
I must admit though tamb, I do tend to laugh harder on here than I do watching Gavin and Stacey at people who don't realise their own talent. Not directed at you btw. :p

With Ross directing things, dear old Norbert could grow a moustache and have the British mecahnics name him Schultz.... ;)

Seriously - I wonder how secure the Brits are in their positions? This is a team that Mercedes have said they will leave intact BUT I just wonder how long the new owners will get restless to install a team which apart from its drivers [probably Heidfeld??] and name will remain British.

And at what stage do they reach a point of disagreement with Ross?

It is evident that Brawn was a very significant motivating factor for Rosberg to join.

Roamy
24th November 2009, 00:00
I think merc should extensively test JV, Kimi and MS and hire the fastest one!!

Then everyone can STFU and move on to the exciting upcoming season.

airshifter
24th November 2009, 03:03
I'm trying to figure out just whether you think I'm deluded or not .
From your smiley face , I'm kinda thinkin' you're thinkin' I am .

You are not alone .

But , I don't think you will be one of the most surprised , either , being the thinking man you are .

Jacques was evasive when asked if he had a ride .
He asked the reporter why he would train so hard , and be away from his kids if things weren't looking good .

This is Jacques-straight forward no BS tell it like it is -Villeneuve being evasive , asking a question in response to a question .
Hence , something's up .

I don't think you're crazy Bagwan, just that you're involved in what is probably wishful thinking. To some extent we all are during the off season. I was simply pointing out that at least you are validating why Jacques could possibly come back, yet not stating as fact that he is.

I've quit thinking much about who will get a ride where, and just wait until it becomes official.

Saint Devote
24th November 2009, 03:14
Any truth in the rumour that Uncle Bryn will be the test driver? :p

Actually seeing that the been there done that and over the hill drivers are being mentioned, they have offered the spot to the geriatrics.

Stirling Moss, with his long time links to Mercedes and winning the Mille Miglia has been offered the positon :eek:

If Mercedes want a disgruntled driver in the form of Nico Rosberg then they will be stupid and offer the seat to MS or JV.

They are not idiots and the surprise will be just that - one of the future not trying to recreate the goddam past based on drivers bored with life and deluding themselves that they would win against the current top line drivers in f1.

Ain't gonna happen.

CNR
24th November 2009, 03:23
http://www.anthonydavidson.com/site/news/

Anthony was on track this weekend, driving the Brawn GP F1 car at the first-ever Powered by Mercedes-Benz Live event held at Mercedes-Benz World at Brooklands, Surrey, UK.

Dave B
24th November 2009, 08:18
I'd love to Anthony Davidson back in F1, he's a cracking bloke who deserves another chance. However, and it pains me to say this, I think he'd be more suited to helping a new team to develop their car than challenging for a championship in a front-runner.

Saint Devote
25th November 2009, 04:28
You first comment is a bit over the top IMO, and not everything relating to Germany is relevent to 65 years ago...
I doubt Mercedes are going to relocate their factory and lay off the British workforce anytime soon. They are very skilled engineers who have shown they can produce a championship winning car, and some have been in F1 for 20 years plus. Many of them live in my home town and moving to Germany would not be an option for many. With the backlash witnessed when Honda pulled out, it would not be a very good marketing move on Mercedes part IMO, but I'm not saying that it'll never happen either. As much as people give us Brits stick, we seem to be very good in regards to motorsport, as many foreign teams over the years have chosen to base themselves here. Even certain Ferrari components are manufactured in England which may be a shock. The consumer car industry is virtually dead in the UK, but motorsport is thriving so I find little in your statement that makes sense in the current climate.

One last thing, If Mercedes were to take their F1 facility back to Germany, would they take the Mercedes high performance engine facility in Brixworth too? Nearly everything about this team is British and its been highly successfull in both counts, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

Haug does resemble the actor who played the part of Schultz. He just needs the little moustache!!! [chortle]

Yes I remember the Ferrari situation. John Barnard did not want to move and the entire car was at one stage being built in England - not the engine.

The issue is for how long can Mercedes claim to be Mercedes when everything about them is essentially English? What anthem do they play upon Rosberg winning?

I guess the same can be said for Red Bull - Austrian but also British in disguide with significant French component.

Britain is the centre of motor racing and the REASON why Toyota failed is because they refused to recognize that formula one is a British pursuit and it HAS to be done the British way.

Ferrari are discovering what life is like without Ross Brawn and I think despite the hiring of Alonso they do not have the core required to win championships. 2007 and 2008 were still based on the Ross effect in my view but that ended with the new regulations.

I remain sceptical that Ferrari will return to winning - its not Mclaren. Italian comic operas are on the way. The Italian version of the Keystone Cops?? :D

By mid-season following Alonso histrionics, Domenicali suffering from acute dispepsia will announce that the Scuderia is concentrating on the 2011 car.

Massa will begin to get the upper hand while Alonso fumes, festers and screams and threatens to expose the entire secret relationship to Todt - he has a "hotline red phone" to Ferrari, if they do not slo Massa down.

The call to Kimi to return will be made and Alonso does a Fittipaldi and moves to Campos Meta 1!! Ole Pedro, Ole!!!

I am evil Homer
25th November 2009, 09:18
Toyot'a problem wasn;t being based in Germany - it didn't hold the WRC team back when they competed. The problem was interferance from Japan in the day-to-day operations

Valve Bounce
25th November 2009, 09:30
Toyot'a problem wasn;t being based in Germany - it didn't hold the WRC team back when they competed. The problem was interferance from Japan in the day-to-day operations

How dare you contradict the deity, who has the ability to communicate with the departed. :p :
These people can claim papal infallibility.

Valve Bounce
25th November 2009, 10:49
I concur your honour :p

You are risking excommunication, you infidel!! :D

Saint Devote
25th November 2009, 11:44
Well thats the controversy in todays F1, do you honour the workforce who designed and built the car, or the financial backers who are watching from the VIP area?

I do think thats a little false and sounds a touch big headed. There is a reason why teams choose to base themselves in Britain and thats because we have a very good engineering industry, although in recent years its working mainly with foreign investors. The United States is also a country which invests alot into this sector, so really USF1 should be the flagship of what they can demonstrate to the Formula One community IMO. Toyota failed because they were out in the wilderness and decisions took far too long to be directed back from Tokyo. Ferrari are keen to inject an Italian influence into the team, and this is something which we will only find out if its successfull or not, further down the line.

Anyway this surprise driver, why has no one mentioned Montoya? Seems as likely as Villeneuve and Schumacher IMO.. :p

My preference is to eliminate nationality or country entirely from f1 and stop the pretense that each driver or team represents any country - they do not.

I've mentioned before that Jenson for example has not LIVED in the UK for ten years and I doubt he will ever again.

It has nothing to do with arrogance on my part - I really do consider it imperative that any team seriously wanting to succeed in f1 has a far better probability if they base themselves in Britain.

The boutique engineering companies that are available in close vicinity are essential.

USF1 are just too far and I consider their Spanish base to be a little exotic.

Yes I am aware of doing it the "Toyota way" - but it was Gascoyne who began to coalesce the team - he was not German or Japanese but a tough experienced Brit and the mechanics were British.

Montoya? :D I think he could be an excellent addition to f1. Onhis day he was brilliant - unfortunately inconsistent. In Nascar with those clunkers his ability is wasted. I wonder how long he would take to adapt to f1 again - I have never "forgiven" him for turning his back on f1.

But he has become fat and too lazy in nascar to be effective in f1 again I think.

Saint Devote
25th November 2009, 11:45

With respect - WRC is not Formula One and as a result of conviction, I do accept and admit to being utterly and unmercifully arrogant where it relates to F1.

cali
25th November 2009, 12:24
My preference is to eliminate nationality or country entirely from f1 and stop the pretense that each driver or team represents any country - they do not.

I've mentioned before that Jenson for example has not LIVED in the UK for ten years and I doubt he will ever again.

It has nothing to do with arrogance on my part - I really do consider it imperative that any team seriously wanting to succeed in f1 has a far better probability if they base themselves in Britain.

The boutique engineering companies that are available in close vicinity are essential.

USF1 are just too far and I consider their Spanish base to be a little exotic.

Yes I am aware of doing it the "Toyota way" - but it was Gascoyne who began to coalesce the team - he was not German or Japanese but a tough experienced Brit and the mechanics were British.

Montoya? :D I think he could be an excellent addition to f1. Onhis day he was brilliant - unfortunately inconsistent. In Nascar with those clunkers his ability is wasted. I wonder how long he would take to adapt to f1 again - I have never "forgiven" him for turning his back on f1.

But he has become fat and too lazy in nascar to be effective in f1 again I think.

Nationality will affect on many markets, people and fans in their subconsciousness anyway. This will help selling cars, affect different markets etc. It even does not matter if JB is not living in UK, it will still have an impact to regular people or F1 fans in UK.

Even Your writing in here is having big influences from your subconsciousness and your subjective preferences. You just simply cannot disregard this, it's just how human brain works.

gloomyDAY
25th November 2009, 20:02
Jeez! Still nothing on the second driver.

Montoya? I have never "forgiven" him for turning his back on f1.I'm sure Juanito is crying in his pillow! :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone on this planet would want to take any crap from Ron Dennis (his wife divorced his ass), so Juan decided to leave for a brighter future. Kimi hated Ron, Fernando the same, and I bet Lewis would slowly but surely start to distance himself from that bald-headed tyrant.

ioan
25th November 2009, 20:34
Anyway this surprise driver, why has no one mentioned Montoya? Seems as likely as Villeneuve and Schumacher IMO.. :p

They would need to bring in weight handicap for the other 27 drivers!

F1boat
25th November 2009, 21:49
They would need to bring in weight handicap for the other 27 drivers!

Hahahahhahah!

Saint Devote
26th November 2009, 01:08
Jeez! Still nothing on the second driver.

I'm sure Juanito is crying in his pillow! :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone on this planet would want to take any crap from Ron Dennis (his wife divorced his ass), so Juan decided to leave for a brighter future. Kimi hated Ron, Fernando the same, and I bet Lewis would slowly but surely start to distance himself from that bald-headed tyrant.

Your view of Ron Dennis is narrow to say the least. I really do recommend learning who Dennis i and what he achieved.

Suffice to say that basing your judgement on the comments of disgruntled former employees is severely skewed towards the negative.

I would not call Montoya in Nascar a "brighter future" - it was a step down into a domestic series that is clumsy, heavy and monotonous by comparison to f1.

keysersoze
26th November 2009, 01:36
I read that Mike Conway and Marcus Ericsson are driving for Brawn next week on all three days of the Jerez test.

curry
26th November 2009, 10:23
If I was Ross I would be waiting until Renault announce what they are doing, because Kubica is probably the best driver left in the market (potentially).

As a result I don't expect an announcement about the 2nd driver until that Renault announcement. Over to you Renault.

Saint Devote
27th November 2009, 02:48
If I was Ross I would be waiting until Renault announce what they are doing, because Kubica is probably the best driver left in the market (potentially).

As a result I don't expect an announcement about the 2nd driver until that Renault announcement. Over to you Renault.

That Renault are taking this long is perhaps indicative of a fight going on at board level. With automobile production weak, job losses, an absolute mountain to climb in racing to even become competitive with the top four teams, why should the racing program be continued?

That is the question that has to be answered. Renault have no top designer, no star manager and a team that has no confidence.

We have no idea even if they are building a car. There is no news.

Perhaps Kubica is privy to the situation - on the other hand he may be working furiously to extract himself from the Renault contract and join Mercedes Benz. Perhaps that is the Haug surprise.

pettersolberg29
27th November 2009, 16:46
I assume Heidfeld is now back at Sauber now they have a 'place' on the grid. Leaves Kubica, Kimi and Scumacher for it.

jens
27th November 2009, 19:24
Why are people so emotionally discussing about Villeneuve in a thread about Mercedes GP drivers? :crazy:

Anyway... As for the second driver, I still hope Heidfeld gets the seat. Looking at recent developments, it seems like it could be between him and Kubica (if Renault pulls out), but still I'd prefer Nick for the seat, because Kubica is much younger and can still wait for his opportunity, while for Heidi this is literally "now or never".

I'd imagine some would say that a pairing of Rosberg-Heidfeld is "rather unimpressive, who wouldn't stand a chance against other top teams", which IMO would be an unfair underrating. Neither may have won a GP yet, but let's firstly give them an opportunity in a genuine top car before writing them off. Häkkinen was winless for almost 100 races, but nowadays is often acknowledged as Schumacher's toughest championship rival.

truefan72
30th November 2009, 18:44
I mentioned this on the Kubica thread but may be relevent here too.. There's rumours that RK may be in talks with Mercedes, as his contract will be null and void should Renault be unable to commit to F1 by the end of the year.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/155011/1/kubica_out_briatore_back_in_at_renault_f1.html

I personally would rather have Heidfeld given the choice, but alot of insiders rate him highly it would seem. :)
given the choice of Kubica or heidfeld, the answer is a simple no-brainer. Kubica.

K-Pu
30th November 2009, 18:49
given the choice of Kubica or heidfeld, the answer is a simple no-brainer. Kubica.

Totally agree, but that would mean seeing Renault out of F1 as a team and (maybe) as engine supplier, so I´d prefer not to see Kubica with a null contract out there...

Saint Devote
1st December 2009, 02:26
With Rosberg and Heidfeld or Kubica, Brawn will probably be the only championship winning team ever whose drivers have none or one grand prix win between them!

Roamy
1st December 2009, 06:21
looks like kubica will get out of renault and if kimi passes on the seat it will go to kubica. I expect they can't pay Kimi enough so look for kubica to go to merc.