PDA

View Full Version : WRC moves to Motors TV

Pages : 1 [2]

gravelman
14th November 2010, 23:28
To be fair to the Motors TV coverage, the commentary does not have to be read off of a script, like the majority of other coverage of WRC. That is something I have noticed in recent years; the lack of actual comment or opinion of note on anything being done in the WRC, more than likely for fear of offending anyone involved. The coverage seems very lifeless, dead and lacking personality...balls even. Motors TV have provided coverage where in my opinion the commentator has been providing great information that is of interest to the hardcore fan, yet not isolating the newbie. Also there hasnt been any sign of this inoffensive, dull commentary normally compulsary with North One feeds. All in all, I'm very happy with the Motors TV coverage

Juha_Koo
15th November 2010, 00:40
Are there any other channels in any country that sends WRC, and has its own touch from the North-One material ?

Finland maybe ?

Yes, MTV3 channel has rather tailored WRC programs. Nearly all of them are broadcasted on the pay channel MTV3 MAX. Some small clips are shown on the normal MTV3 channel. The shows are a rather nice mix of footage and MTV3 has some of it's own stuff incorporated to them, like for example longer, a bit more in-depth interviews, expert analysis and usually Finnish (co)drivers presenting the overall stage description etc.

After the beginning the MAX broadcasts were excellent, even the day reviews ran for one hour and lots of different kind of footage and after the review it was a 30-minute Incar Special which offered ~5 minute onboards from all the leading drivers plus all crashes etc. from onboard cameras. I really loved it.

Nowdays they only run for 30 minutes and the Incar Special has been dropped. Shame. It's a bit more North One-like but still possible to watch.

To be fair to the Motors TV coverage, the commentary does not have to be read off of a script, like the majority of other coverage of WRC. That is something I have noticed in recent years; the lack of actual comment or opinion of note on anything being done in the WRC, more than likely for fear of offending anyone involved. The coverage seems very lifeless, dead and lacking personality...balls even. Motors TV have provided coverage where in my opinion the commentator has been providing great information that is of interest to the hardcore fan, yet not isolating the newbie. Also there hasnt been any sign of this inoffensive, dull commentary normally compulsary with North One feeds. All in all, I'm very happy with the Motors TV coverage

Very true, luckily in Finland MTV3 utilizes many professionals (interviews, working as commentators, so on) like Tomi Tuominen, Timo Rautiainen, Bosse, Garde and Paasonen to bring comments and opinions to the shows so here it's not a problem. But for example wrc.com videos are really polite and totally objective. Not even the slightest biased opinions/comments are said.

GigiGalliNo1
15th November 2010, 03:58
Neil Cole won't be presenting for DAVE anymore.... does this mean no more DAVE coverage?! :(

nzabevAMSM
15th November 2010, 08:41
RAI picks the 55-minutes coverage that North One produces for all (so the "standard coverage", like Eurosport had in the past), Motors TV has a customized coverage.

RAI has lots of external footage, etc.

On RAI 1 or on RAI 2 is broatcasting the show?

wrc_flipper
15th November 2010, 13:12
Neil Cole won't be presenting for DAVE anymore.... does this mean no more DAVE coverage?! :(

Dave contact comes to an end this year - they are in discussion apparently with Dave as well as other free-to-air channels.
The extra live elements for next year are not that appealing to Dave as they will have pay for more shows and time.

We will see - perhaps Quest will take it next year :rolleyes:

AndyRAC
15th November 2010, 13:20
Dave contact comes to an end this year - they are in discussion apparently with Dave as well as other free-to-air channels.
The extra live elements for next year are not that appealing to Dave as they will have pay for more shows and time.

We will see - perhaps Quest will take it next year :rolleyes:

Don't joke, this is an important deal; what about QVC, buy a S1.6T...
NorthOne need to realise charging loads is not the way to promote a sport which has disappeared from mainstream.

wrc_flipper
15th November 2010, 13:33
Don't joke, this is an important deal; what about QVC, buy a S1.6T...
NorthOne need to realise charging loads is not the way to promote a sport which has disappeared from mainstream.

Well NorthOne Sport has a remit to look at free to air options as part of the FIA contact, so it just the case of see who wants it compared to price etc.

One rumor around Wales was that BBC could take it, but don't really see this as there are a lot of F1 / WRC clashes in 2011. Though this could be a good point as they could do a "afternoon of motorsports" offering F1 and WRC.

ITV possibly not an option as they wanted to put ITV2-4 on Sky paid per view, so that leaves?

JAM
15th November 2010, 14:22

Totally agree

Simmi
15th November 2010, 22:27
Ripped on Dave a fair amount over the years but 2010 they have been brilliant. Life saving coverage as far as I'm concerned. I thought I was a hardcore fan but the Motors stuff just hurt to watch. To bring in a new era of the sport through onboard coverage would be too much to bear. So just as much as finding somewhere to put the coverage, they need to provide some pictures that are worth a crap for a reasonable price.

Barreis
15th November 2010, 23:05
Bad move to remove it from Eurosport..

BDunnell
17th November 2010, 00:03
Well NorthOne Sport has a remit to look at free to air options as part of the FIA contact, so it just the case of see who wants it compared to price etc.

One rumor around Wales was that BBC could take it, but don't really see this as there are a lot of F1 / WRC clashes in 2011. Though this could be a good point as they could do a "afternoon of motorsports" offering F1 and WRC.

ITV possibly not an option as they wanted to put ITV2-4 on Sky paid per view, so that leaves?

It ought to be more attractive in 2011, what with the new regulations. We can but hope. Though does anyone even care about this important change?

gravelman
17th November 2010, 00:20
Could be on a British terrestrial for all we know. DR wouldnt have been able to persuade Mini and BMW to commit without a sound return and exposure for their product. Stranger things have happened

MJW
17th November 2010, 15:08
Motorsport News in UK is reporting that DAVE TV will not be showing WRC in 2011. I have criticised this in previous years, but in fact the 2010 offering has been quite acceptable. Far more so than the absolute cr@p that is Motors TV!!!!
Interestingly North One Sport are quoted in MN saying that they would like to get WRC back onto a free to air channel and feel that in iots current state WRC wont be interesting enough to a broadcaster especially in the F1 dominated media.
Its a great shame that BBC2 Wales report programme was broadcast so late on monday 15th November, an 11.20 pm start isnt ideal.
I may be very naiieve and nostaligic for quality reporting and coverage that we had when BBC Sport had WRC, but I am just wondering if as many of ys on here download the BBC2 Wales programme from the I player it may persuade the suits at BBC & NOS to get WRC back on BBC Sport, afterall Jake Humphrey really enjoyed his time rallying in North Wales on the Cambrian rally.
Please download here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ales_Rally_GB/

gravelman
17th November 2010, 19:00
Motorsport News in UK is reporting that DAVE TV will not be showing WRC in 2011. I have criticised this in previous years, but in fact the 2010 offering has been quite acceptable. Far more so than the absolute cr@p that is Motors TV!!!!
Interestingly North One Sport are quoted in MN saying that they would like to get WRC back onto a free to air channel and feel that in iots current state WRC wont be interesting enough to a broadcaster especially in the F1 dominated media.
Its a great shame that BBC2 Wales report programme was broadcast so late on monday 15th November, an 11.20 pm start isnt ideal.
I may be very naiieve and nostaligic for quality reporting and coverage that we had when BBC Sport had WRC, but I am just wondering if as many of ys on here download the BBC2 Wales programme from the I player it may persuade the suits at BBC & NOS to get WRC back on BBC Sport, afterall Jake Humphrey really enjoyed his time rallying in North Wales on the Cambrian rally.
Please download here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ales_Rally_GB/

BBC wont let me watch the show on the iplayer in the good ol Emerald Isle. Is there any alternative means of viewing it?

dcr22B
17th November 2010, 21:16
BBC wont let me watch the show on the iplayer in the good ol Emerald Isle. Is there any alternative means of viewing it?Feck it Tommy, I had it recorded on my DVD recorder but deleted it from the hard drive after watching.

Well worth watching IMO.

noel157
18th November 2010, 00:26
BBC wont let me watch the show on the iplayer in the good ol Emerald Isle. Is there any alternative means of viewing it?

Tommy, use a proxy such as hidemyass.com or similar.
As Dave says, it's worth watching.