PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Silly Season Chart

Pages : [1] 2

MDS
7th November 2009, 20:18
I figured this would be a good time to just post a chart for next year based on all the rumors and announcements. At this point I count 22 full time teams, with a realistic shot at 23-26 depending on what happens with Gil de Ferren. If we could have one thread that doesn't really address Danica's behavior that would be nice.

Expected teams:

Penske Racing
3- Helio Castroneves* “Sponsor who must not be named”
6- Ryan Brisco* “Sponsor who must not be named”
12-Will Power Verizon?

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon* Target
10- Dario Franchitti* Target

Andretti Racing
7- Danica Patrick Boost Mobile
11- Helio Castroneves* 7-11
26- Marco Andretti* Conglomoration
27- Ryan Hunter-Reay Izod/Macy’s?

Newman Hass Lanigan Racing
02- Alex Lloyd HER energy drink
06- Graham Rahal McDonalds
08?- Hideki Mutoh?/Takumo Sato? Formula Dream?

KVRT
5- Mario Moraes

Dale Coye Racing
18- Justin Wilson Z-Line Designs

Vision Racing
20- Ed Carpenter* Menards

FASTT Racing
??-Alex Tagalini ??

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos
24?- Takumo Sato/Hediki Mutoh Formula Dream?

Conquest
00-Nelson Phillipe *

Panther racing
4- Dan Wheldon * National Guard

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria* ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos *

Dryer and Rienbold racing
24-Mike Conway?

Expected Part time

Sarah Fisher Racing
67 Sarah Fisher Dollar General
76 Jay Howard Discount Tire

KVRT
15 Paul Tracy Gieco/Honda of Canada Indy, ABC races and Edmonton and Toronto

Potential full time operations either full time or part time

Dale Conye Racing
19 James Hinchcliff? David Martinez?

Newman Wachs Racing
34 John Edwards

HVM
13- James Hinhcliffe?

3G
98 Hinchcliffe?/David Martinez?

de Ferren Motorsports?
?-Simone Pagenuard?
?-???

DR&R
43-Thomas Shekter? Milka Dunno?

Free agents/ride buyers

James Hinchcliff has talked with a number of mid and low-tier teams. Supposedly he has fund, but I doubt that funding is in the form of sponsorship, and more than likely are “Backers.”

EJ Viso: I’ve heard he’s lost PDVSA support and could be out of the series. I’ve also heard he might land at KVRT or Conquest, so clearly the rumors haven’t settled at all

Townsend Bell: I haven’t heard anything. His Herbalife sponsorship went with Viso

John Andretti: Will probably buy his way into the 500 with a third-tier team again

Adam Carrol: Irish driver with some buzz around him, and the all but assured death of A1GP might end up in the ICS, I heard someone throw his name out for the 19 DCR car.

Oriol Servia: Great driver but no money. I haven’t heard anything about him landing anywhere, although there are a couple of teams that would run him if they had the money

Bruno Junquiera: I would expect him on the grid in Brazil in some fashion for a one-off and then again at Indy.

Paul Tracy: Geico is back for Indy and the American races on ABC. Honda of Canada is on board for Toronto and Edmonton. He’s actively searching for more money and is meeting with some of the VPs of Monster.

EagleEye
8th November 2009, 00:05
I figured this would be a good time to just post a chart for next year based on all the rumors and announcements. At this point I count 22 full time teams, with a realistic shot at 23-26 depending on what happens with Gil de Ferren. If we could have one thread that doesn't really address Danica's behavior that would be nice.

Expected teams:

Penske Racing
3- Helio Castroneves* “Sponsor who must not be named”
6- Ryan Brisco* “Sponsor who must not be named”
12-Will Power Verizon?

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon* Target

Andretti Racing
11- Helio Castroneves* 7-11

08?- Hideki Mutoh?/Takumo Sato? Formula Dream?

KVRT
5- Mario Moraes

Dale Coye Racing

Vision Racing
20- Ed Carpenter* Menards

FASTT Racing
??-Alex Tagalini ??

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos
24?- Takumo Sato/Hediki Mutoh Formula Dream?

Conquest
00-Nelson Phillipe *

Panther racing
4- Dan Wheldon * National Guard

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria* ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos *

24-Mike Conway?

Expected Part time

Sarah Fisher Racing

KVRT

Dale Conye Racing

Newman Wachs Racing
34 John Edwards

HVM
13- James Hinhcliffe?

3G
98 Hinchcliffe?/David Martinez?

de Ferren Motorsports?
?-Simone Pagenuard?
?-???

DR&R
43-Thomas Shekter? Milka Dunno?

Free agents/ride buyers

James Hinchcliff has talked with a number of mid and low-tier teams. Supposedly he has fund, but I doubt that funding is in the form of sponsorship, and more than likely are “Backers.”

EJ Viso: I’ve heard he’s lost PDVSA support and could be out of the series. I’ve also heard he might land at KVRT or Conquest, so clearly the rumors haven’t settled at all

Townsend Bell: I haven’t heard anything. His Herbalife sponsorship went with Viso

John Andretti: Will probably buy his way into the 500 with a third-tier team again

Adam Carrol: Irish driver with some buzz around him, and the all but assured death of A1GP might end up in the ICS, I heard someone throw his name out for the 19 DCR car.

Oriol Servia: Great driver but no money. I haven’t heard anything about him landing anywhere, although there are a couple of teams that would run him if they had the money

Bruno Junquiera: I would expect him on the grid in Brazil in some fashion for a one-off and then again at Indy.

Paul Tracy: Geico is back for Indy and the American races on ABC. Honda of Canada is on board for Toronto and Edmonton. He’s actively searching for more money and is meeting with some of the VPs of Monster.

Penske Racing
3- Helio Castroneves
6- Ryan Brisco
12-Will Power TBD

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon* Target
TBD- TBD

Chip is scrambling to get the funding for a third car. Rahal, Wilson and Moraes in the mix. Hearing TK might be as well, but at a greater cost...

Andretti Racing
11- Tony Kanaan 7-11
37- Ryan Hunter-Reay Izod

TK has a lot of personal issues, and might be granted a release if he wants to have a new start at Ganassi. If TK moves on look for Rahal, or Moraes.

Newman Hass Racing
TBD- Hideki Mutoh Formula Dream

FD was all set to go to GDR, but they ticked Honda off by asking for more dough. Not sure what happended with Sato as he was tabbed for FD for some time.

Rahal has yet to sign, but seems happy with the team's progress. Lloyd's side says they have a done deal, but nothing announced by the team..yet.

Could Edwards move up? Graham now becomes the second shoe that has to drop.

Lanigan might not be back. If he leaves, would someone else come in? NHW?

KVRT
5- TBD

Moraes should be back...which means he probably won't. His stock has risen, and the team is working to secure his services. Look for Wilson if Moraes moves on.

Dale Coye Racing
18- TBD Z-Line Designs
19- TBD

Justin will return, if nothing else presents itself and that is not a bad thing. Wilson and the team got on well. The win this year, was one of the best in years and was well earned. Two wins if not for a late yellow at St. Pete.

Hinchcliff has an inside edge if Wilson stays. If Wilson moves on look for Bruno or Servia.

Vision Racing
20- Ed Carpenter Menards

FAZZT Racing
77-Alex Tagalini

Luczo-Dragon Racing
2- Rafa Matos

Conquest
00-Nelson Phillipe

Hoping this is a full season effort. Eric has worked long and hard, and the team has done a great job.

Panther racing
4- Dan Wheldon National Guard

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos

Will Bobby D be in for the entire year? Team is hoping to run a second car, but time will tell.

23- Milka Dunno
TBD-

Conway had an up and down year. More down at the start, but did well at times. The team could take on anyone that brings some funding, including Tomas, Hinch, or others.

Expected Part time

Sarah Fisher Racing

KVRT

3G
98 TBD

Needs money

de Ferren Motorsports
TBD- TBD

Will Gil and honda kiss and make up?

Rahal
17-TBD

Might be closer to something than they were a year ago. Probably the best bet of any new entry.

It is going to be a long offseason, with plenty of changes. The IZOD deal is outstanding. Thank you Terry, job well done.

anthonyvop
8th November 2009, 00:32
Conquest
00-Nelson Phillipe *

You heard something?

NickFalzone
8th November 2009, 03:45
After Nelson's wreck at Sonoma he or someone from Conquest was interviewed and they said that it was disappointing, but they were still on track for a full 2010 program with him driving. I think he brings the money.

As far as driver count, Curt Cavin said on trackside this week that Barnhart is expected "22-26" at the start of next season. My guess is it will be about even with 2009, with maybe an avg of 1 add'l car per race.

indyracefan
8th November 2009, 05:47
After Nelson's wreck at Sonoma he or someone from Conquest was interviewed and they said that it was disappointing, but they were still on track for a full 2010 program with him driving. I think he brings the money.

I had last heard something along those lines as well.

Chamoo
8th November 2009, 06:40
I had last heard something along those lines as well.

As did I.

anthonyvop
8th November 2009, 15:02
At Homestead nelson told me he was still looking for a ride for 2010. Of course his injuries isn't making it any easier.

Chamoo
8th November 2009, 15:38
What about Dan Clarke at HVM in the second car? Curt Cavin keeps bringing it up over and over as a "why not?".

anthonyvop
8th November 2009, 18:46
Why would anyone want such an erratic and crash prone driver in the series? We need a slightly higher caliber of driver to start coming to the series.

So why not Dan Clarke? he is of higher quality than 3/4 of the current field.

Chamoo
8th November 2009, 20:11
Why would anyone want such an erratic and crash prone driver in the series? We need a slightly higher caliber of driver to start coming to the series.

I've got to agree with Anthonyvop. Dan Clarke has a higher pedigree then half the series. And so what if he crashes, most people do at some point.

I remember a fast, dorky kid wearing corrective glasses who used to crash all the time, Pete Tracy or something like that? What did he ever end up doing?

chuck34
9th November 2009, 00:58
I've got to agree with Anthonyvop. Dan Clarke has a higher pedigree then half the series. And so what if he crashes, most people do at some point.

I remember a fast, dorky kid wearing corrective glasses who used to crash all the time, Pete Tracy or something like that? What did he ever end up doing?

I've heard of him. He's still crashing a lot, and generally making all the wrong moves, on and off the track. That's why he's been "looking for a ride" for some time now.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Runs for cover.

MDS
9th November 2009, 01:08
Dan Clarke has a reputation as a crasher, and rightly so perhaps, but here's the thing, a lot of good aggressive drivers, PT for example, had that same reputation until they got it under control. Its been two years. If he manages to come to the IRL I'm okay with it.

If nothing else it would mean the end to caution-free races... which I think we can all agrea is a good thing.

TURN3
9th November 2009, 01:13
I've heard of him. He's still crashing a lot, and generally making all the wrong moves, on and off the track. That's why he's been "looking for a ride" for some time now.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Runs for cover.

? Could you explain that one please?

chuck34
9th November 2009, 01:52
? Could you explain that one please?

I thought it was pretty self explanitory. What don't you get?

TURN3
9th November 2009, 02:37
I thought it was pretty self explanitory. What don't you get?

It may be self explanatory if we're talking about a different driver but my impression was we're talking about PT. Saying he still crashes a lot and keeps making the wrong moves on and off the track is anything but an accurate statement. So, I asked for an explanation which you're either not capable of providing or you're as clueless as the person that said it.

garyshell
9th November 2009, 03:12

By what possible measure? Certainly not brains.

Gary

chuck34
9th November 2009, 12:37
It may be self explanatory if we're talking about a different driver but my impression was we're talking about PT. Saying he still crashes a lot and keeps making the wrong moves on and off the track is anything but an accurate statement. So, I asked for an explanation which you're either not capable of providing or you're as clueless as the person that said it.

You're right, we are talking about Paul Tracy. And you are also right, I was wrong in saying that he still crashes a lot because he doesn't drive a lot anymore so he doesn't have many oportunities to crash. That could have something to do with bad moves off track, don't 'cha think?

TURN3
9th November 2009, 13:57
You're right, we are talking about Paul Tracy. And you are also right, I was wrong in saying that he still crashes a lot because he doesn't drive a lot anymore so he doesn't have many oportunities to crash. That could have something to do with bad moves off track, don't 'cha think?

Bingo on the crashing issue...he doesn't drive full time. That is part of what I didn't get but more so, what bad moves is he making off the track? That is really what I'm curious about now that we got passed the smart talk with each other.

EagleEye
9th November 2009, 15:37

A sad sign of the times. Nelson's $$>than Speedy Dan's. This is also the only reason Milka is in a car. Not sure Conquest will make it the entire year...

It would be great if they would only allow drivers who have raced with success (wins, poles, fast laps, championships, etc.) in the series.

DD never won or finished on the podium in any single seat series. She won in Grand Am, despite being almost 8 seconds slower than her other co-drivers.

bblocker68
9th November 2009, 15:56
Hey, we don't need Dan Clarke if D&R retains Mike Conway. They're the same guy!! :)

Lousada
9th November 2009, 16:28
Dan Clarke? You mean that guy who recently claimed the IRL was into race-fixing???

Chamoo
9th November 2009, 18:05
Dan Clarke? You mean that guy who recently claimed the IRL was into race-fixing???

Sure, need some controversy in the league.

chuck34
9th November 2009, 18:14
Bingo on the crashing issue...he doesn't drive full time. That is part of what I didn't get but more so, what bad moves is he making off the track? That is really what I'm curious about now that we got passed the smart talk with each other.

The fact that he doesn't have a ride would be the bad moves he's making off the track. If he really is as great as everyone says he is (and I'll admit, he has talent), shouldn't he be rumored to be in talks with some of the "big teams" from time to time? Penske, AGR, and Ganassi have all had open slots in the past couple of years, yet no talk of PT? Other than KV I haven't even heard his name mentioned at any other team. To me that suggests that he might be p!ssing someone off in team management.

In a simmilar vane, if he's so good and such a great draw for sponsors, why is it that the only thing he can seem to (barely) scrape together is the Geico/Monster deal? And even then, he's got to beg his fans to write in to the CEO? That doesn't seem to me that everyone is on board with PT being the best thing since sliced bread, except for PT of course.

MDS
10th November 2009, 00:05
Not to distract from the PT/Speed Dan Hijack, but Gordon Kirby has a great in-depth look at Newman Wachs Racing and John Edwards. Its sounding more and more like they're going to be in the ICS next year with a single car team piggybacking off of NHL.

It's a good read:
http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2009/the_way_it_is_no208.html

gofastandwynn
10th November 2009, 04:43

I'll quote Marshall Pruett on that one:

[quote="an actual journalist"] Dan Clarke earned the nickname &#8216]
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/pruett-triple-stint-1021/

Oh, snap...

TURN3
10th November 2009, 05:27
The fact that he doesn't have a ride would be the bad moves he's making off the track. If he really is as great as everyone says he is (and I'll admit, he has talent), shouldn't he be rumored to be in talks with some of the "big teams" from time to time? Penske, AGR, and Ganassi have all had open slots in the past couple of years, yet no talk of PT? Other than KV I haven't even heard his name mentioned at any other team. To me that suggests that he might be p!ssing someone off in team management.

In a simmilar vane, if he's so good and such a great draw for sponsors, why is it that the only thing he can seem to (barely) scrape together is the Geico/Monster deal? And even then, he's got to beg his fans to write in to the CEO? That doesn't seem to me that everyone is on board with PT being the best thing since sliced bread, except for PT of course.

A terrible economy and lack of good teams have been more a culprit. Even Penske can't (couldn't) find sponsorshipt of Will Power. Ganassi hasn't been able to jump up to a full-time 3rd car when he had Alex Lloyd in the wings. AGR basically lost Motorola and they were backing the "biggest" draw the IRL has to offer...they still haven't found a full-time sponsor for Marco and he has Andretti as his last name. NHL isn't fully funded for even 1 car, let alone the 2 they are running. I think it is clear that sponsorship is an extremely hard thing to come by and you surely would agree.

The fact PT has yet to find a full-time gig I don't think has anything to do with moves he's made on or off track...and that is why you said. As for the teams, he's drove for Penske (burned that bridge long ago + the 500 fiasco), he's not driving for the Rog. Mikey and he are old enemies and he basically left AGR (Team Green) of his own accord when Mikey took ownership. I think if AGR was on strong ground with sponsorship they'd welcome him considering the steady regression they've had while their talent has moved on...but at AGR $$$ is the only thing keeping the doors open. Chip was reportedly ready to offer PT a ride before Champ Car folded and a contract dispute became public with Gerry. Chip offered him rides for Indy during the split so I don't think Chip would have a hard time giving him a shot if the dollars where available...which they aren't for anybody.

So, seriously, depsite you're disdain for him (which I can understand), wouldn't you agree that your statement was completeley baseless, inaccurate, and false? So I asked for the explanation...that's all.

chuck34
10th November 2009, 12:41
So, seriously, depsite you're disdain for him (which I can understand), wouldn't you agree that your statement was completeley baseless, inaccurate, and false? So I asked for the explanation...that's all.

I don't have disdain for him. I was a huge fan when he came into the series in the early 90's. But his actions on and off the track, there were sponsor issues that I didn't go into as well, have changed my mind. So, no, I don't have disdain for him, I just see him for what he is ... A hot-head with a bunch of wasted talent.

You talked about burned bridges and heated rivalries, don't you think that could be considered "bad moves off the track"?

You mentioned a bunch of other excuses about the economy and other things as well, don't you think that if PT was such a great assest as everyone keeps saying, that he could find ways around these other issues? How many drivers have come and gone in this series since he's been sitting on the sideline? How long does it take for the "reasons" he doesn't have a ride to become "excuses"?

The simple fact that he has been looking for a full time ride for at least 2 years now with nothing to show for it is the bassis of my comment "bad moves on and off the track", and you have done nothing but give the same old lame "reasons" everyone else always gives, PT included. For me, those "reasons" have now turned into excuses, and I stand by my statement. If you don't like it, that's fine, I'm not asking you to agree with me. But perhaps you can look at things from a different standpoint from time to time.

Hijack off/

MDS
10th November 2009, 18:01
Again, not to detract from this excellent flame war that wouldn't at all be better served by moving to another thread, but Panther has all but ruled out running two FT teams next year

http://www.pantherracing.com/pantherpack/qa.cfm#q664

The Panther Q&As and twitter feeds are always good reads btw

NickFalzone
10th November 2009, 19:17
Again, not to detract from this excellent flame war that wouldn't at all be better served by moving to another thread, but Panther has all but ruled out running two FT teams next year

When did anyone think Panther would run 2 FT teams next season? They barely had enough cash to get Wheldon in the top ten this year, and I got the impression they were shutting down their Lights program to get a few more bucks into Wheldon's team, certainly not starting up another.

MDS
10th November 2009, 19:30
It was rumored for a while that Scott Sharp was going to take his Patron sponsorship to Panther for a full time effort. I don't think anyone thought Panther would do more than an Indy-only one off, but to see it officially stated is interesting I think

TURN3
10th November 2009, 23:53

I've never known you to be shy to carry on off topic for pages and pages so I'm not sure why you're concerned. In my opinion, PT being a part of silly season is fair game for this thread.

MDS
11th November 2009, 17:17
Graham Rahal has a nice article at Racer. His contract isn't signed yet, but it looks like he wants an long-term deal at NHL, and is talking with more sponsors. He doesn't say it, but he eludes to Alex Lloyd being signed for next year.

It's a good read, but the pic Racer used is of Servia's car, not Graham's.
http://www.racer.com/Gaining-on-them/article/149754/

TURN3
11th November 2009, 18:26
Graham Rahal has a nice article at Racer. His contract isn't signed yet, but it looks like he wants an long-term deal at NHL, and is talking with more sponsors. He doesn't say it, but he eludes to Alex Lloyd being signed for next year.

It's a good read, but the pic Racer used is of Servia's car, not Graham's.
http://www.racer.com/Gaining-on-them/article/149754/

To add to that, he has made certain comments on his twitter account implying some good things at NHL. Personally, I think him being at NHL long-term is a win-win-win. He's talented, NHL is getting better and better, etc. I know rumors were that he'd get snatched up by TCGR or Penske but lets all pray not...this breeds more competition. Hopefully they can get the funding where they need it to make it 3 teams at the top and who knows, if AGR gets a good driver to go with TK maybe 4.

indyracefan
11th November 2009, 23:04
That Racer story is two months old.

NickFalzone
13th November 2009, 16:36
Anyone else getting a little more concerned that the Brazil race is not going to happen? What could possibly be the hangup at this stage of the game? On trackside radio last night Curt Cavin and Kevin Lee said there was still no news on it, and that with Menard's looking at a Milwaukee deal, we might see that race rushed onto the schedule if Brazil doesn't happen.

MDS
13th November 2009, 18:59
Nick,

The rumors change on that every day, or more, depending how connected your facebook/IM account is. I heard it was Salvador and then they supposedly dropped out and now its supposedly Rio but the contract isn't done, and the start of the season is what, four and half months away?

From what I'm hearing for my friends on a few teams is that more and more people are getting a bit restless about not knowing. Traveling for international race is expansive, even when promoters are picking up all the freight. Since the schedule isn't locked they can't lock in any part of their budget, and that's frustrating.

indyracefan
13th November 2009, 19:22

I'd rather see a deserving and talented driver from the FILS get promoted, in this case J.R. Hildebrand who's an American. Other drivers from the series such as Wade Cunningham, James Hinchcliffe and Sebastian Saavedra deserve a look too. It would be nice to see the ladder system work and actually graduate it's best drivers to the ICS.

jackmart
15th November 2009, 23:02
To add to that, he has made certain comments on his twitter account implying some good things at NHL. Personally, I think him being at NHL long-term is a win-win-win. He's talented, NHL is getting better and better, etc. I know rumors were that he'd get snatched up by TCGR or Penske but lets all pray not...this breeds more competition. Hopefully they can get the funding where they need it to make it 3 teams at the top and who knows, if AGR gets a good driver to go with TK maybe 4.

NHL is a good team but penske and gnassi are top tiers teams. I had no idea there was mention of Graham going there but I feel with a lilttle bit better car he would do much better there than NHL.

TURN3
16th November 2009, 06:16
NHL is a good team but penske and gnassi are top tiers teams. I had no idea there was mention of Graham going there but I feel with a lilttle bit better car he would do much better there than NHL.

Well of course, right now, who wouldn't. NHL has always been a powerhouse and evidence of that is them being the top Champ Car convert. In their first full year with prep, they were not far off the speed of Penske and Ganassi...in fact at times talk of them being the 3rd of the big 3 while AGR has regressed. My point was that I'd like to see a young, good/talented, American in the NHL stable while they continue to march back up to the dominant level they've been used to and compete with Ganassi and Penske. If all the good drivers drive for those 2 teams then we don't have much of a chance of parity.

jackmart
16th November 2009, 06:23
gotcha, I'd like to see graham go to a top tier team or NHL become one soon, haha

and they have made huge strides with 1 win last season and poles this season, i think graham will only continue to improve

Chamoo
16th November 2009, 14:46
I think things could be shaping up very well to see four or five competitive teams up front in 2010.

Of course we will see Penske and Ganassi up there as usual, they aren't going anywhere. But NHL has another off-season to catch up and I'm think with Graham and Lloyd, they have two competent drivers who will both be fully funded in 2010.

Then with AGR picking up RHR (if all goes as expected), that might be the skilled driver TK needs paired with him. Instead of seeing TK doing all the work for that team, he can share that load with RHR. AGR will grow from what they were last year.

KVRT should be competitive as well. If they can find money for a second car, which they need for the information, and Mario Moraes said might happen, they could indeed field a strong 2-car effort. The speed was there all season with Moraes, but they need that extra little bit, and that might come from having a second car to compare data with.

I think 2010 might be a great year to be an Indycar fan.

TURN3
17th November 2009, 03:35
I think things could be shaping up very well to see four or five competitive teams up front in 2010.

Of course we will see Penske and Ganassi up there as usual, they aren't going anywhere. But NHL has another off-season to catch up and I'm think with Graham and Lloyd, they have two competent drivers who will both be fully funded in 2010.

Then with AGR picking up RHR (if all goes as expected), that might be the skilled driver TK needs paired with him. Instead of seeing TK doing all the work for that team, he can share that load with RHR. AGR will grow from what they were last year.

KVRT should be competitive as well. If they can find money for a second car, which they need for the information, and Mario Moraes said might happen, they could indeed field a strong 2-car effort. The speed was there all season with Moraes, but they need that extra little bit, and that might come from having a second car to compare data with.

I think 2010 might be a great year to be an Indycar fan.

I'm with you almost 100%. I'm not sure about AGR. I love TK and RHR but while both have shown they can be fast and TK is a former champion, neither has proven they can "lead" a team. While TK has been given a ton of respect maybe he gets too much credit for their setup. I'm not trying to insult TK but maybe Herta and Dario were the only studs. Wheldon won a bunch for AGR back then too and even with Ganassi he's never been able to match that performance. I hope I'm making my point clearly. I just don't think TK is the set-up guru we all thought he was.

Chamoo
17th November 2009, 15:31
I'm with you almost 100%. I'm not sure about AGR. I love TK and RHR but while both have shown they can be fast and TK is a former champion, neither has proven they can "lead" a team. While TK has been given a ton of respect maybe he gets too much credit for their setup. I'm not trying to insult TK but maybe Herta and Dario were the only studs. Wheldon won a bunch for AGR back then too and even with Ganassi he's never been able to match that performance. I hope I'm making my point clearly. I just don't think TK is the set-up guru we all thought he was.

I think that once TK has someone to share information with he will be a much better set-up guy. RHR can be that guy.

EagleEye
18th November 2009, 20:57
I think that once TK has someone to share information with he will be a much better set-up guy. RHR can be that guy.

The divorce, and reason for it, are rather messy. This certainly puts a strain on him as he tries to do his job. I love TK, but C'mon Man!!

I think once he gets his house and personal life in order, he can work on getting more out of himself and the team.

chuck34
18th November 2009, 21:05
The divorce, and reason for it, are rather messy. This certainly puts a strain on as they try to do their job. I love TK, but C'mon Man!!

I think wants he gets his house and personal life in order, he can work on getting more out of himself and the team.

What? I completely missed that one. Any links?

MDS
18th November 2009, 21:06
Penske will announce his driver lineup tomorrow at 3 p.m.

EagleEye
18th November 2009, 21:17
What? I completely missed that one. Any links?

It has been discussed quite a bit in the paddock and here in Indy.
Miller mentioned it in one of his mailbags.

I don't feel I should provide more details here though. He just needs to clean it up so he can focus 100% on driving.

MDS
19th November 2009, 03:59
Will Power will more than likely be announced with a full time ride with Penske Racing. No word on sponsorship yet, but if it turns out to be Verizon score one for the team and the IRL

jackmart
19th November 2009, 04:50
will someone please fill me in about whats going on with tk? im so lost

chuck34
19th November 2009, 13:26
Will Power will more than likely be announced with a full time ride with Penske Racing. No word on sponsorship yet, but if it turns out to be Verizon score one for the team and the IRL

I thought the Power/Penske/Verizon deal was already done. I thought Penske was moving his Grand-Am team over to run the car for Will. Was that not "official" yet?

MDS
19th November 2009, 14:12
It may be a done deal, but it hasn't been announced yet, hence the announcement. Honestly I haven't heard anything about Verizon yet, but I heard from someone who was in Power's pits at Indy that they were very happy with the results of the 500

Chamoo
19th November 2009, 14:39
Viso back to the Izod Indycar Series in 2010, just not sure with who yet. Will be announced shortly.

EagleEye
19th November 2009, 15:06
I thought the Power/Penske/Verizon deal was already done. I thought Penske was moving his Grand-Am team over to run the car for Will. Was that not "official" yet?

And he will actually be a "seperate" team: Penske Racing. Briscoe and HCN will continue to operate under the Team Penske banner. Team Penske is backed by Phillip Morris, while Penske Racing will be backed by several different sponsors for the year. We would love to see the yellow throw back colors again!

Cindric indicated that the team really likes the chemistry between the three drivers, and that Will earned his spot in the orginization with his performance over the year.

bblocker68
19th November 2009, 16:16
And he will actually be a "seperate" team: Penske Racing. Briscoe and HCN will continue to operate under the Team Penske banner. Team Penske is backed by Phillip Morris, while Penske Racing will be backed by several different sponsors for the year. We would love to see the yellow throw back colors again!

Cindric indicated that the team really likes the chemistry between the three drivers, and that Will earned his spot in the orginization with his performance over the year.

Excellent! Will Will (lol) be sporting different liveries through the season like Marco did in the past?

bblocker68
19th November 2009, 16:24
Nevermind. Power is set with Verizon backing for the year.

MDS
19th November 2009, 17:16
Great news. Another top team to mix things up with and a ligit sponsor, and a car that isn't red and white.

http://www.penskeracing.com/news/index.cfm?series=i&cid=24360

Oli_M
19th November 2009, 19:07
Great news. Another top team to mix things up with and a ligit sponsor, and a car that isn't red and white.

http://www.penskeracing.com/news/index.cfm?series=i&cid=24360

Given that the Verizon NASCARs are now switching from black to white with the red "V" symbols, I'd expect the Indycar to do the same to keep the brand awareness. So another red and white car looks likely :D

Turn-In
22nd November 2009, 15:01
Dan Clark has a reputation as a crasher, and rightly so perhaps, but here's the thing, a lot of good aggressive drivers, PT for example, had that same reputation until they got it under control. Its been two years. If he manages to come to the IRL I'm okay with it.

If nothing else it would mean the end to caution-free races... which I think we can all agrea is a good thing.

He puts lives in danger. Dangerous Dan, Crashy Dan. Those were his real nicknames in the paddock in Champ Car. He is reckless and no one would want him as a liability on the team unless he brings money. When was the last time he was actually in a car....any car?

His professional open wheel career is over, he is getting too old to prove himself as a competent driver.

Chamoo
22nd November 2009, 16:06
He puts lives in danger. Dangerous Dan, Crashy Dan. Those were his real nicknames in the paddock in Champ Car. He is reckless and no one would want him as a liability on the team unless he brings money. When was the last time he was actually in a car....any car?

His professional open wheel career is over, he is getting too old to prove himself as a competent driver.

Quite recently actually. I believe he ran a couple of Superleague Formula races this season. He also ran A1GP last season.

If he has money to bring, he can always find time to prove himself.

Turn-In
22nd November 2009, 17:33
2008 A1GP - 3 races, poor results, 2008 did a superleague test, no race
2009 - no racing - any series.

Chamoo
23rd November 2009, 04:06
2008 A1GP - 3 races, poor results, 2008 did a superleague test, no race
2009 - no racing - any series.

Well if you knew that already, why did you bait someone into answering?

Turn-In
23rd November 2009, 14:20
Rhetorical question to emphasize ones point. Go, "oh yeah, he hasn't raced".

EagleEye
23rd November 2009, 21:17
Former PacWest engineer and long time AGR engineer goes to FAZZT with tags and car #77.

Andy "Squirel" is a very solid engineer, and should do well with the team. And yes, that is his nickname!

GDF still does not have anything solid for next year, according to some of their guys we see at the gym.

Danica and her hubby were in Sacramento Airport Friday, but no one really noticed her. Not sure if they were headed for Tahoe, or some place else in No Cal. She is a texting freak!

Chamoo
23rd November 2009, 21:44
Former PacWest engineer and long time AGR engineer goes to FAZZT with tags and car #77.

Andy "Squirel" is a very solid engineer, and should do well with the team. And yes, that is his nickname!

GDF still does not have anything solid for next year, according to some of their guys we see at the gym.

Danica and her hubby were in Sacramento Airport Friday, but no one really noticed her. Not sure if they were headed for Tahoe, or some place else in No Cal. She is a texting freak!

Whats the word on FAZZT? Full time one car? Part time two cars? Part time one car? I've heard all of them through the media, yet not sure which is actually true.

jcolbert
23rd November 2009, 21:52
Whats the word on FAZZT? Full time one car? Part time two cars? Part time one car? I've heard all of them through the media, yet not sure which is actually true.

Full time with one car and maybe a second at Indy. They got everything they needed to run two cars full-time (including 4 cars) when they bought all of Roth's stuff.

EagleEye
23rd November 2009, 22:10
Full time with one car and maybe a second at Indy. They got everything they needed to run two cars full-time (including 4 cars) when they bought all of Roth's stuff.

Roth had two cars, no spare tubs, last time I checked. Did they (FAZZT) buy two additional tubs?

First line is spot on.

Chamoo
24th November 2009, 00:53

Thats what I thought, but there were whispers of them running Daniel Morad full season.

NickFalzone
24th November 2009, 01:25
I read somewhere that they were heavily looking into a 2nd car. Personally I'm just impressed with the 1-car team they've assembled, including veteran AGR engineer Allen McDonald on Tag's car. It's hard to have really high expectations for a first year team, but I'll bet that on the road courses Tags will be a regular top 5 and may even get a podium here and there. I'd say they will be at least at Wilson/Coyne level, and perhaps even a bit more competitive.

EagleEye
24th November 2009, 02:36
I read somewhere that they were heavily looking into a 2nd car. Personally I'm just impressed with the 1-car team they've assembled, including veteran AGR engineer Allen McDonald on Tag's car. It's hard to have really high expectations for a first year team, but I'll bet that on the road courses Tags will be a regular top 5 and may even get a podium here and there. I'd say they will be at least at Wilson/Coyne level, and perhaps even a bit more competitive.

Yep, very impressive indeed. Alex, Squirrel, Brendon, Rob and a new shop in Fishers. It appears the funding is in place, and they are going about it the right way.

They certainly have gone after some good people!

TURN3
27th November 2009, 18:37

I'm glad to see Tags putting this together and hope that they can be competitive on some courses. They are absoutely making great impressions on paper. Lets be honest though, Tags isn't a top 5 driver in top equipment. He's had a few races where he has put together some impressive runs but all in all, he's a mid-packer from day 1. He's not going to be a regular top 5'er, sorry. I will say though I'm happy to see 1 more car that Danica will be toward the back of the grid on road courses. She's having a miserable off-season...Tags, Will Power full-time, KV possible bringing a 2nd car more often than not, Ganassi talking potential 3rd car...I'm sure I'm missing some other new additions but people like her and Wheldon and Carpenter have to be thinking top 20's instead of top 10's.

DanicaFan
27th November 2009, 21:26
There are rumors coming out of in Indy now that say EJ Viso is possibly working a deal out with Target Chip Ganassi Racing to be their 3rd car next year.

This is some shocking news to me. Great news for Viso if it pans out.

Chamoo
27th November 2009, 22:59
There are rumors coming out of in Indy now that say EJ Viso is possibly working a deal out with Target Chip Ganassi Racing to be their 3rd car next year.

This is some shocking news to me. Great news for Viso if it pans out.

Agreed and heard the same thing. I hope EJ can pull it off. If he does that, he would definately add to the top cars.

EJ at Ganassi and HVM still manages to find a second car, we're looking at a pretty strong line up and a good number of cars for 2010.

Scheckterfan54
28th November 2009, 02:49
Where has Viso landed this money from? I thought I had read in an earlier post that he had lost his PDVSA money. This move would be very intriguing as he would be in top equipment for the first time in ICS.

TURN3
28th November 2009, 04:47
Where has Viso landed this money from? I thought I had read in an earlier post that he had lost his PDVSA money. This move would be very intriguing as he would be in top equipment for the first time in ICS.

Herbalife I believe. They were partial sponsor of HVM last year as well as personal sponsor for EJ and Townsend...primary on Townsend's car at Indy. Heard they left Townsend to go big with EJ. There are a couple of other big names in line for that Ganassi seat also and I'd bet on him doing it...he is too competitive to let Penske dominate next year with the big 3.

NickFalzone
28th November 2009, 07:08
Herbalife I believe. They were partial sponsor of HVM last year as well as personal sponsor for EJ and Townsend...primary on Townsend's car at Indy. Heard they left Townsend to go big with EJ. There are a couple of other big names in line for that Ganassi seat also and I'd bet on him doing it...he is too competitive to let Penske dominate next year with the big 3.

It's late, so maybe I misread it. Are you saying Ganassi is going to have 3 cars because Penske will, and Chip doesn't think he can compete with his 2 cars? I don't buy that at all. He finished 1-2 in 09 with Power in a 3rd Penske car in quite a few races. Having 2 drivers in 2010 will not hurt their team performance a bit. And personally, while I like EJ and think he's a fun guy to have in the series, I do not like the idea of him being in the top ride available, with TCG. Actually I'd like to see PT in that ride, but that's another story. EJ is just nowhere near the level of Dario and Scott IMO. A guy like Wilson is more deserving I think.

TURN3
28th November 2009, 15:08
It isn't that I necessarily agree but I read somewhere Chip was trying to put sponsorship together for a 3rd car "because" Penske has a 3rd now. He can compete with just the 2 but lets face it, with Penske running 3, they have a huge advantage. Chip is going to need a 3rd car in the mix just to distribute points. You'll have NHL in there too but probably not consistently. I would be a little upset if it were EJ just because I don't feel he's earned that ride but if he's the one bringing the money that allows Chip to do it, what makes them different that 80% of the rest of the grid? Would prefe RHR, JW, or PT...which would be a great choice for a 1 year deal.

garyshell
28th November 2009, 17:24
If Chip or anyone adds a third car it will because they think they can make money by doing so. This will be a business decision, pure and simple.

Gary

DanicaFan
29th November 2009, 04:52
Danica is in New York this weekend in reference to a big announcement on Monday(reference to GoDaddy.com) the 30th on her next year's plans. She will also be appearing on Good Morning America Monday.

jwhite9185
29th November 2009, 10:46
including veteran AGR engineer Allen McDonald on Tag's car.

Interesting move!

Out of interest anybody know where many of the former PacWest crew ended up? I know Ziggy is/was at AGR and Daryl Fox at HVM but not heard where any others ended up?

indyracefan
29th November 2009, 14:15
I don't know if this really means anything or not but EJ is saying this morning that today he "walked into his new era".

DanicaFan
30th November 2009, 05:15
It appears Danica will be announcing that she will be racing in the ARCA season opener in February at Daytona. This effort will be sponsored by GoDaddy.

Im sure her contract will come up as well.

MDS
30th November 2009, 08:05
J.R. Hildabrand gets a test with Force India:

http://www.racer.com/force-india-to-test-jr-hildebrand/article/158393/

jackmart
30th November 2009, 18:54
I really don't think EJ deserves a ride with TCG.

EagleEye
30th November 2009, 20:46
Just remember, the driver and his group may say one thing, while a particular team may say another.

I ran into a certain driver over the weekend, who indicated he had a ride with a certain team (and told others as well) while someone on the team has told me something very different.

There are two-three drivers saying they have something, but the team has yet to make it so.

Silly season, indeed.

MDS
4th December 2009, 19:28
Viso is testing with D&R... would seem like an odd thing to do if you had a ride lined up at Ganassi.

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=15518

MDS
4th December 2009, 19:32
AA inks a multi-year contract with Venom Energy drink for Marco, replete with a robust activation.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/venom-energy-drink-signs-multi-year-sponsorship-with-andretti-autosport-78440542.html

NickFalzone
4th December 2009, 20:49
Yeah I just don't see Viso at Ganassi, sorry. It would certainly be entertaining though.

harvick#1
4th December 2009, 21:08
Viso at Ganassi will be like when Tomas was there, a very fast driver, but alot of problems.

I'd like to see EJ at Ganassi to put a new face in the game, and EJ would be very difficult to beat if he had that equipment

MDS
5th December 2009, 12:58
John Oreo gives his rundown of the ICS silly season nothing major, maybe a bit on the conservative side.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/indycar/columns/story?columnist=oreovicz_john&id=4686292

MDS
7th December 2009, 15:19
There's starting to be some rumors about a one-off for Robby Gordon at the Indy 500. Jim Beam has pulled out as his primary sponsor in NASCAR and he only has funding for the first eight races, which would mean April 18 at Texas , which means he'll either have to shut the doors or go part time from there. However, his Dakar and SCORE programs are both going to go on with sponsorship from Monster.

One of the rumors floating around is that Robby is looking for a two-race deal with a team for Kansas and Indy with Monster's backing. He could get a good deal with a top team for about $500,000 for both races, which is a believable number for a sponsor for Monster to pay for the 500. The usual suspects are mentioned in the rumor, including Andretti

Phoenixent
7th December 2009, 17:11
One of the rumors floating around is that Robby is looking for a two-race deal with a team for Kansas and Indy with Monster's backing. He could get a good deal with a top team for about $500,000 for both races, which is a believable number for a sponsor for Monster to pay for the 500. The usual suspects are mentioned in the rumor, including Andretti

I think that you can take Andretti off of that list of teams for Robby as his sponsor is a direct conflict with Marco's sponsor.

MDS
12th December 2009, 17:03
I decided to update the list given on the last round of developments. At this point I'm pretty sure we'll see 21-22 full time teams with a number of part time efforts fulling up the field. By all accounts the IRL is getting heavier at the top with the inclusion of Will Power at Penske and the likely 3-car team at NHL. We're also starting to see new teams start to form like FAZZT and NWR.

Full Time

Team Penske/Penske Racing
3- Helio Castroneves “Sponsor who must not be named”
6- Ryan Brisco “Sponsor who must not be named”
12-Will Power Verizon

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon Target
10- Dario Franchitti Target

Andretti Racing
7- Danica Patrick GoDaddy (3-year deal)
11- Helio Castroneves 7-11
26- Marco Andretti Venom Energy Drink (3-year with an option for a fourth)

08- Hideki Mutoh Formula Dream

KVRT
5- Mario Moraes

Dale Coye Racing

FAST Racing
77-Alex Tagalini
From their website, “FAZZT Race Team will unveil the teams paint scheme and sponsor lineup in Montreal in conjunction with the Montreal Auto Show in January 2010.”

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos Marines/Air Force

Conquest
00-Nelson Phillipe I Drive Green

Panther racing

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria* ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos
78-Simona de Silvestra Stargate Resistance

24-Mike Conway?

Part time

Sarah Fisher Racing
67 Sarah Fisher Dollar General (St. Petersburg, Barber, Kansas, Indy, Texas, Iowa, Chicago, Kentucky, Miami)
76 Jay Howard Discount Tire (Indy, Texas, Mid-Ohio, Chicago)

Vision Racing
20- Ed Carpenter Menards (ovals only)

KVRT
15 Paul Tracy Gieco/Honda of Canada (St. Pete, Kansas Indy, Toronto, Watkins Glen, Edmonton and maybe Long Beach)

8? KV wants to go to three cars next year and have been talking with a lot of sponsors and drivers to make it happen. I've heard every driver whose ever thought of driving an Indy Car linked to them.

Dale Conye Racing

Newman Wachs Racing
Everything now points to going to be an FIL team, will probably do a partial schedule, or at least an Indy one off with NHL's help.
34 John Edwards

3G
98 Jaques Lazier (ovals) and Richard Antinucci (Road Courses)

de Ferren Motorsports?
?-Simone Pagenuard?
?-???

DR&R
43-Thomas Shekter? Milka Duno?

Team Rahal
17 I haven't heard anything, but some people who know more than I do think they could make a comeback this year.

Free agents/ride buyers

Ryan Hunter Reay: He's doing commercials with Izod, so that means he will be in the series somewhere, most likely AGR, but he could slide over to KVRT as well, but those are the only two teams that I can see landing him.

James Hinchcliff has talked with a number of mid and low-tier teams. Supposedly he has funding, but I doubt that funding is in the form of sponsorship, and more than likely are “Backers.”

EJ Viso: Yes there have been the rumors of him ending up at Ganassi, but I don't buy it. I expect him to be back with the series in some capacity, but its still an open question as to where.

Paul Tracy: Geico is back for Indy and the American races on ABC. Honda of Canada is on board for Toronto and Edmonton. A recent twitter post said he needs more sponsorship but there might be a tv show in his future

Milka Duno: Going to race at Daytona in ARCA probably going to return to D&R in a limited capacity.

Frankie Muniz: He made some twitter posting about being stabbed in the back the day after Simona's HVM test, I'm not sure that's related. There has been some talk of Stargate Worlds coming up full time next year, which I don't buy. However, there's a good chance he'll be a one-off at Indy with if the Stargate Worlds deal goes through with HVM or KVRT

Jan Heylen: Doesn't have the funding he once had, but still a talented shoe. If Conquest finds money for a second car he could be a good fit, but I doubt we'll see him,

Sebastien Bourdais: He doesn't have anything lined up other than his ride in the 24 hours of Le Mans next year and probably returning to the Superleague. Unless he buys a ride, which doesn't seem likely I don't see him a full-time ride next year, but someone might be want to bring him back for an Indy one-off or a limited schedule.

Bobby East: Looking to buy his way into the 500.

Daniel Morad: Rumored as second driver for FAZZT, but I can't imagine as anything other than a partial schedule for the Canadian rounds and maybe Indy.

Alex Ranger: A possible entry at Toronto and Edmonton with Conquest, FAZZT or Coyne. Very talented and popular Canadian driver.

harvick#1
12th December 2009, 17:58
Helio is superman, gonna be in two cars for two different teams :p :

its really kinda sad to see so many good drivers listed there not to be named for a drive, such a shame

gofastandwynn
13th December 2009, 03:21
Where did you get your info about Nelson & Conquest running a full year? I say this somewhere else too and was wondering where they info came from.

MDS
13th December 2009, 03:43
Conquest and Nelson made the announcement last year and since then I haven't heard anything to the contrary since then. They've been very quiet this off-season, but isn't anything unusual for a small race team to go silent during the off-season. If you don't have any announcements to make and your driver isn't involved in any off-season racing there isn't much cause to generate coverage. Until I hear something different I'm assuming they're still doing the full schedule in 2010.

Also Conquest's website, one of the best of any team btw, still has Nelson's 34 car up there with a bevy of small sponsors. I Drive Green is a ride-buy by the Phillipe family, but by making it green they can bring in eco-companies to defray the cost and, I'm guessing, advance a cause he believes in.

Conquest hasn't closed its doors btw. I called about some parts their selling at the end of November and talked with a couple of people.

EagleEye
14th December 2009, 02:48
Team Penske
3- Helio Castroneves PM
6- Ryan Brisco PM

Penske Racing
12-Will Power Verizon

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon Target
TBD-TBD

Moraes, Wilson and Rahal in the mix

Andretti Autosport
7- Danica Patrick GoDaddy
11- Tony Kanaan 7-11
26- Marco Andretti Venom
37- Ryan Hunter-Reay Izod

02- TBD - TBD
06- Alex Lloyd - HER
TBD- Hideki Mutoh Formula Dream

Two cars, unless McD's come back

KVRT
5- TBD

Moraes, Wilson?

Dale Coye Racing

FAZZT Racing
77-Alex Tagalini

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos Marines/Air Force

Conquest
34-Nelson Phillipe I Drive Green

Panther racing

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria* ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos
78-Simona de Silvestra Stargate Resistance (partial?)

23- Dunno Citgo
24- TBD brings money

Helio will not be running with Andretti and Penske, FAZZT Racing not FAST, NHL may not get McD's back and if Rahal returns he will be in the 02.

MDS
14th December 2009, 03:27
Where did you get your info about Nelson & Conquest running a full year? I say this somewhere else too and was wondering where they info came from.

In an odd strike of timing apparently Cavin got a hold of Nelson this week and he in fact isn't coming back with Conquest.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20091211/SPORTS0107/912110361/1217/SPORTS0107

The French driver hasn't been cleared to compete and has split from Conquest Racing, but he has given the motor sports community something to talk about.As far as whose coming back at KVRT, I was up in Indy visiting some relatives for Thanksgiving and ran into some guys from KV at a restaurant and Jimmy was their with a scruffy looking Mario Moreas, so yeah, I know its not official confirmation or anything, but the fact that they're hanging out during the off season, and the fact that Mario is in town during the off season bodes well for his dedication to the series, as some drivers return to their country of origin, or their homes in Miami and rarely, if ever visit the shop during the off-season.

DanicaFan
14th December 2009, 05:11
Mario Moraes will be back with KV Racing.

MDS
18th December 2009, 16:20
Add Bryan Herta Autosport as a potential one-off at Indy this year. They're moving into to the old Fernandez Racing shop and will be doing a full year of Indy Lights again.

They're also looking at doing a one shot at Indy, not sure if they're going to look to a ride buyer, or try to bring Daniel Herrington or Felipe Guimaraes, but it would be great to see another young American in the field.

http://www.bryanhertaautosport.com/?p=423#respond

fugariracing
18th December 2009, 17:54
Add Bryan Herta Autosport as a potential one-off at Indy this year. They're moving into to the old Fernandez Racing shop and will be doing a full year of Indy Lights again.

They're also looking at doing a one shot at Indy, not sure if they're going to look to a ride buyer, or try to bring Daniel Herrington or Felipe Guimaraes, but it would be great to see another young American in the field.

I could see them as a satellite second Vision or Vision/BHA entry for the '500, prob with James Davison as I think he is a little more prepared for IndyCars than either Herrington or Guimaraes. They had a car on the initial 2009 entry list but it never materialized. This is a good team though, I interviewed Bryan last year and they have come a long way in a short amount of time.

Scotty G.
18th December 2009, 22:00

How about Robby Gordon? Don't be surprised if that happens.

It would be great at this point just to see a few American drivers of ANY age in the field.

MDS
19th December 2009, 00:11
How about Robby Gordon? Don't be surprised if that happens.

It would be great at this point just to see a few American drivers of ANY age in the field.

I hear Robby is looking at doing the 500 this year given the sponsorship struggles he's having with his cup program, but knowing Robby he wants a top team and I hear is talking with Chip and Andretti about a ride.

MDS
22nd December 2009, 15:29
No third car at Ganassi per Mike Hull:

“At present, we’re not in a position to be able to do that,” Hull discloses. “We don’t have a deal with anybody. There isn’t anything presently that’s going to be announced. We would like to have another entry in the IndyCar Series full-season, full-time – not a part-time deal, not an Indy-only deal. But we would like to have it be a quality situation with equal sponsorship money, equal brand representation and equal talent driving the car.”

Read the full article and listen to the lengthy pod cast here:
http://planet-irl.com/2009/12/22/an-interview-with-mike-hull/

Chamoo
22nd December 2009, 17:50

“At present, we’re not in a position to be able to do that,” Hull discloses. “We don’t have a deal with anybody. There isn’t anything presently that’s going to be announced. We would like to have another entry in the IndyCar Series full-season, full-time – not a part-time deal, not an Indy-only deal. But we would like to have it be a quality situation with equal sponsorship money, equal brand representation and equal talent driving the car.”

I've heard that before from various teams. Just playing it safe. Not saying they will have a third car, but it doesn't exclude a third car from their plans.

TURN3
22nd December 2009, 18:28

Obviously, Danica never was an option at Ganassi. At best any talks Chip had with her were to drive the price up for Mikey as most of us agree. Mike says among other things that they wanted equal sponsorship money, equal brand representation, both of which they would get from her but the equal talent part disqualifies her from consideration.

EagleEye
22nd December 2009, 20:18

At the present time the situation is looking more like the WSOP.

Ganassi wants to have a third entry, but they do not have a deal done with anybody.

No drivers signed at NHL, KVR, DCR, Conquest, 2nd HVM, 4th Andretti....

NHL- Looking to secure Rahal, despite lack of sponsorship. Lloyd's folks say his deal is done, yet he was not at the test. Mutoh could be signed soon, but they are working hard to keep Rahal. The rumor here in town is that Chip might go after Rahal, since he just might be able to offer a bit more than Carl. If Rahal does not return, look for the team to secure Justin.

KVR- Both the team and Mario feel he deserves to be paid, instead of paying for a ride. The only issue, is the team does not have a big sponsor in place..yet. And there is now the presence of one RHR with sponsorship in hand.

DCR- Will have things in place, late as usualy, and Wilson should be here unless he gets snatched away.

Conquest- They need funding to move forward. Viso mihas talked to them, but he has talked to everyone.

RHR- Still on for Andretti? Maybe...Maybe not. Has touched base with KVR and possibly another team...

D&R, 2nd HVM- Show us the money, and you can be an Indycar driver.

Silly season indeed

Scotty G.
23rd December 2009, 00:37
Show us the money, and you can be an Indycar driver.

Pretty sad, isn't it?

This is just a glorified F2000 or Indy Lights series.

Money talks and talent walks. Been happening in Indy Car Racing for about 20 years now.

And people wonder why nobody cares or watches anymore....

Chamoo
23rd December 2009, 01:38
I don't know if I like Rahal at Ganassi or not. We'd have an American on arguably the top team, but at the same time, I liked having Graham competing for top fives with NHL as they grew into the Dallara. I had NHL with Graham and Lloyd pegged ahead of AA this year, and after they more or less officially picked up Hideki Mutoh, I felt good about seeing NHL join the elite in the IRL.

If Rahal goes to Ganassi and Wilson goes to NHL, does Oriol go to DCR? Or does DCR run J.R. Hildebrand or another young American to give them their start?

What are the odds KVR runs two cars with RHR and Mario Moraes? If it comes down to it, will Moraes buy his ride if they cannot find anyone to sponsor his car?

Any word on Tomas Scheckter?

MDS
23rd December 2009, 17:38
Anna Beatriz announced on her website that she will be in the ICS opener in Brazil. No details as to which team though.

After two seasons in Firestone Indy Lights Ana Beatriz (Healthy Choice / Nova Schin / Bardahl / PowerZol) gets ready to debut in the IndyCar Series in 2010, between many activities in Brazil.
In late November, she ran in the International Challenge of the Stars, a kart tournament organized by Felipe Massa in Florianopolis, contested by drivers from many series, including Michael Schumacher, and almost all Brazilian IndyCar drivers: Tony Kanaan, Vitor Meira Mario Moraes and Raphael Mattos.
In December, between interviews with the Brazilian press and participating in television and radio, Ana Beatriz debuted her column in WebMotors´s website wich is the most important site in the Brazilian automotive sector.
And by Christmas, she took part of the F1 2009 game launch, by Warner Bros, in Brazil, alongside journalists Fábio Seixas and Flávio Gomes, specialized in racing, at Saraiva Bookstore, in a chating session about racing.
From now on she will take care of the preparations for her first race in the IndyCar Series, which will be held on a street circuit in Sao Paulo, her own city, on 14 March 2010.

http://www.biaracing.com/eng/news.bia.1

Scotty G.
24th December 2009, 02:43
1. If Rahal goes to Ganassi and Wilson goes to NHL, does Oriol go to DCR?

2. Or does DCR run J.R. Hildebrand or another young American to give them their start?

3. What are the odds KVR runs two cars with RHR and Mario Moraes? If it comes down to it, will Moraes buy his ride if they cannot find anyone to sponsor his car?

1. No offense to Oriol, but he's about 35 now, right? His best years, sadly, are likely already behind him. Not saying he can't get the job done, but many car owners seem to think race drivers in Indy Cars can't get it done after 35 now. Not sure why a spec car with MUCH less horsepower is so much more difficult to handle then it was in 1985 or 1995, but that is the strange logic used by most of our owners today.

2. I could see Scheckter taking his Mona-Vie money to Coyne to pair it with Dale's Z-Line money. Might even let Dale run a 2nd car more often this year with a driver of his choosing (for once). I don't see Hildebrand as a fit here. Scheckter for sure, is going to be somewhere. He has what matters most....$$$$ (or at least he supposedly has $$$$).

3. I think Vasser will run 2 cars full-time in 2010. Moraes in the full-time ride with Tracy and ???? splitting the 2nd car (maybe Hildebrand here???). 3 cars with all 3 drivers at Indy. The fact that Moraes hasn't been announced yet is a bit puzzling though.

I do agree though, if Rahal leaves for Ganassi (the sport desperately needs this to happen, BTW), then Wilson will go to NHL. If Rahal stays, then Wilson stays at Coyne and Scheckter likely stays with Dreyer&Reinbold (even though he and Viso cannot stand one another and Viso is likely to land the other D&R seat. It would be funny to watch these two on the same team).

Of course Ganassi would have to actually hire an American driver, which he has avoided like the plague for a decade now. So Graham is probably s-out of luck.

Hildebrand has to land somewhere, in at least a part-time capacity. If he doesn't, it renders dominating Indy Lights basically meaningless (again) and makes other young American drivers wonder what kind of future they actually have in this sport (not that there is much evidence they have much of one).

And if (and its a big IF) Vision scales back to only ovals or (gulp) shuts its doors to become a Indy-only team (in the mold of John Menard from the early 90's), that would be a devastating and embarrassing PR blow for the sport (no matter what you think about Tony George). That would say a lot about the state of Indy Car Racing if that happens.

chuck34
24th December 2009, 21:13
Pretty sad, isn't it?

This is just a glorified F2000 or Indy Lights series.

Money talks and talent walks. Been happening in Indy Car Racing for about 20 years now.

And people wonder why nobody cares or watches anymore....

It's been MUCH longer than 20 years

MDS
31st December 2009, 00:58
Griiogio Pantano supposedly has a better than 50-50 chance of ending up at Panther next year.

http://www.stopandgo.tv/news/slf/it/esclusivo-stop-go-intervista-giorgio-pantano-per-lui-si-profila-l-avventura-in-indycar-con-il-team-panther-racing-.html

MDS
31st December 2009, 01:15
Also, don't want to start a new thread for this but thought it was interesting; Bleacher Report lists the most impressive F-1 failed prospects. Has a couple of ICS guys like Ryan Brisco and Richard Antucci as we as a few guys who should be in the IRL like Andrew Ranger and Jonathan Summerton

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/316259-failed-f1-prospects-then-and-now

Scotty G.
31st December 2009, 03:14
Griiogio Pantano supposedly has a better than 50-50 chance of ending up at Panther next year.

http://www.stopandgo.tv/news/slf/it/esclusivo-stop-go-intervista-giorgio-pantano-per-lui-si-profila-l-avventura-in-indycar-con-il-team-panther-racing-.html

That will put some butts in the seats.

Remember when Panther Racing actually employed American drivers? I think its teh last time they were relevent.

Phoenixent
31st December 2009, 05:51
That will put some butts in the seats.

Remember when Panther Racing actually employed American drivers? I think its teh last time they were relevent.

It's also before the ex-CART teams showed up and up the game so Panther Racing was no longer relevant in the series. Then their American driver went to one of those ex-CART teams. Panther Racing needs to go find more money so they can also up their game instead being a mid-field team.

Civic
31st December 2009, 07:36
Was Pantano the supposed driver for that Sunoco team that never made it past the press release a few years ago?

Nikki Katz
31st December 2009, 15:13
I think Pantano's a really good driver, but would this be an additional car or as a replacement to Wheldon? I'd be against that!

Chamoo
31st December 2009, 16:13
I think Pantano's a really good driver, but would this be an additional car or as a replacement to Wheldon? I'd be against that!

You'd assume it would be as a second car, unless Danglin' Dan has found another ICS ride and wants out from Panther?

MDS
31st December 2009, 16:38
NHL- Looking to secure Rahal, despite lack of sponsorship. Lloyd's folks say his deal is done, yet he was not at the test. Mutoh could be signed soon, but they are working hard to keep Rahal. The rumor here in town is that Chip might go after Rahal, since he just might be able to offer a bit more than Carl. If Rahal does not return, look for the team to secure Justin.

Well there is this add IZOD is running in time square featuring not only Graham Rahal, but his McDonald's car pretty predominately as well. While I wouldn't take that as direct confirmation that a deal was done, I would expect IZOD's PR people to make a call to Newman Hass as a heads up before making the commercial.

Although, there have been gaps in common sense before, but as an marketing guy I would at least check to make sure that he was going to be in that car this year before making a commercial featuring him and his car.

garyshell
31st December 2009, 22:53
Well there is this add IZOD is running in time square featuring not only Graham Rahal, but his McDonald's car pretty predominately as well. While I wouldn't take that as direct confirmation that a deal was done, I would expect IZOD's PR people to make a call to Newman Hass as a heads up before making the commercial.

Although, there have been gaps in common sense before, but as an marketing guy I would at least check to make sure that he was going to be in that car this year before making a commercial featuring him and his car.

From Graham's twitter feed before Christmas, it was obvious that the ad is not from stock footage but recently done. He talked about filming commercials and PR stuff for IZOD.

Gary

jackmart
1st January 2010, 00:00
^^yeah it was specially filmed. I love to see him move up to TCG but I don't think it's gonna happen. Hopefully things can really come together and NHL and he can have some winS this year!

Scotty G.
1st January 2010, 06:09
It's also before the ex-CART teams showed up and up the game so Panther Racing was no longer relevant in the series. Then their American driver went to one of those ex-CART teams. Panther Racing needs to go find more money so they can also up their game instead being a mid-field team.

No, Panther beat Penske with that American driver in 2001. Won the championship over both of Penske's boys (and they were one of those big "ex-CART" teams, right?).

They even helped Mikey Andretti make the Indy 500 in 2001 (which he was struggling to do) and I believe that was also a "ex-CART" team, right?

Panther Racing has become a shadow now of their former self. Many of the folks that made that organization so good, are now long gone. Really a shame too.

Panther Racing won't go out and find any money. They will just be like everybody else and hope a ride-buyer writes them a check to keep their head above water for another year.

Georgio Pantano? Just another failed F1 guy, looking for work. Will fit in nicely with all the other F1 scrubs in Indy Cars now.

Chamoo
1st January 2010, 17:04
^^yeah it was specially filmed. I love to see him move up to TCG but I don't think it's gonna happen. Hopefully things can really come together and NHL and he can have some winS this year!

I think it's better for the IRL to have Graham at NHL as he brings up the talent level of that team and offers another team to compete with Ganassi and Penske.

I'd love some clarification from NHL in regards to their 2010 lineup. I'd love to know if Alex Lloyd will be bringing his HER Energy sponsorship to them or if he will be taking it elsewhere. You'd think they would have this sorted out by now as he has the sponsorship in hand.

Chamoo
1st January 2010, 17:09
Georgio Pantano? Just another failed F1 guy, looking for work. Will fit in nicely with all the other F1 scrubs in Indy Cars now.

As for Pantano, he is one of the most talented europeans not to do something big in F1. He just never got the chance to succeed in F1.

He is one of the most successful drivers at the feeder level in Europe and is a recent GP2 Champion.

He'll turn some heads on the road courses, and I'm not upset he will be bringing money to add another car to the field if it happens.

DazzlaF1
1st January 2010, 18:43
How is it looking so far

* Running a limited season program
# Widely expected to get drive
~ Rumoured

PENSKE: Castroneves, Briscoe, Power
ANDRETTI: Kanaan, Patrick, Marco Andretti, ???
TARGET/GANASSI: Dixon, Franchitti#, possible 3rd car for Viso
KV: Moraes#, Tracy~, ???
N/H/L: Rahal#, ???
PANTHER: Wheldon, Pantano#
HVM: Doornbos, ???
DALE COYNE: Wilson#, ???
VISION: Carpenter#, ???
SARAH FISHER: Fisher*, Howard*
LUCZO DRAGON: Matos
FOYT: Meira
FAZZT: Tagliani
NEWMAN WACHS: Edwards
CURB/3G: Antinucci~
RAHAL-LETTERMAN: ???
WALKER: ???
DE FERRAN: ???
CONQUEST: ???

MDS
1st January 2010, 18:44
I'd love some clarification from NHL in regards to their 2010 lineup. I'd love to know if Alex Lloyd will be bringing his HER Energy sponsorship to them or if he will be taking it elsewhere. You'd think they would have this sorted out by now as he has the sponsorship in hand.

It hasn't been NHL's style over the past several years to make announcements about their driver lineup until pre-season testing, which hasn't been announced yet. They've been rather low-key in recent years about their lineup and haven't had big events or announced them early in the off season.

From what I've heard from sources close to the team is that Graham is back in the 02, Alex Lloyd's deal is done, and he might have the Text number on his car again, and the deal with Hedki is all but done.

Phoenixent
1st January 2010, 21:10
No, Panther beat Penske with that American driver in 2001. Won the championship over both of Penske's boys (and they were one of those big "ex-CART" teams, right?).

I think you should check you facts on 2001. Team Penske ran 2 races in the IRL that year Phoenix and Indianapolis. Panther won at Phoenix as both Penske car DNF. But you know what happened at Indy as Penske took first and second. Also the top 5 finishers were CART teams that were running just the 500 and Panther Racing finished 14th four laps down. The CART team were just better at preparing the cars. Penske was running a full season in CART and won the championship in that series.

In 2002 Panther Racing won the championship by 20pts over Penske but that was a learning year for Penske in the IRL. But from 2003 on it has been ex-CART teams that have won both Indy and the championship.

Ex-CART teams are just better orginized due to the years of experience they have and the depth of the teams. The top CART teams are now the top IRL teams and everyone else will have to come up to their level or stay mid pack forever.

Panther Racing need to go out and find money to up their game same goes for the ex-Champcar teams.

Yes there is a difference between CART and Champcar teams.

Happy New Year to all Indycar Fans :)

MDS
2nd January 2010, 05:52
Not that its a big surprise but Johnathan Summerton is heading to Europe next year and not the IRL.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=354182&FS=

Chamoo
2nd January 2010, 15:01
It hasn't been NHL's style over the past several years to make announcements about their driver lineup until pre-season testing, which hasn't been announced yet. They've been rather low-key in recent years about their lineup and haven't had big events or announced them early in the off season.

From what I've heard from sources close to the team is that Graham is back in the 02, Alex Lloyd's deal is done, and he might have the Text number on his car again, and the deal with Hedki is all but done.

Oh, I completely understand that NHL doesn't do driver announcements until spring training. I just would love to know what is happening over there with a confirmation (knowing I won't get it). I appreciate your and Eagleeyes information but a confirmation from the teams is so much better.

Scotty G.
2nd January 2010, 15:38
1. In 2002 Panther Racing won the championship by 20pts over Penske but that was a learning year for Penske in the IRL.

2. But from 2003 on it has been ex-CART teams that have won both Indy and the championship.

3. Panther Racing need to go out and find money to up their game same goes for the ex-Champcar teams.

1. So big Penske gets a "excuse" for not beating Panther and their 1 car operation in 2002? Panther beat them fair and square. Of course that Panther Racing and the 2009 version aren't even close to the same team. Many of the key components that made Panther special are long gone.

2. Andretti-Green Racing never raced in CART.

3. Panther isn't going to find money. Neither are most of the other teams in Indy Car. They will just do what is easiest....which means wait for a ride-buyer to show up with a check and hope it works out. These teams aren't interested in "competing" with the big boy teams. They are just looking to survive from year-to-year.

Scotty G.
2nd January 2010, 15:40
As for Pantano, he is one of the most talented europeans not to do something big in F1. He just never got the chance to succeed in F1.

He is one of the most successful drivers at the feeder level in Europe and is a recent GP2 Champion.

He'll turn some heads on the road courses, and I'm not upset he will be bringing money to add another car to the field if it happens.

This series doesn't need any more Pantano's. It doesn't matter how talented he may or may not be.

Chamoo
2nd January 2010, 15:57
This series doesn't need any more Pantano's. It doesn't matter how talented he may or may not be.

So you're willing to turn away another car added to the field? If it's a difference between Panther running a 2 car team with Pantano and Wheldon, or Panther running a 1 car team with Wheldon, and Pantano staying away from the IRL, what would you rather?

MDS
2nd January 2010, 16:42
Oh, I completely understand that NHL doesn't do driver announcements until spring training. I just would love to know what is happening over there with a confirmation (knowing I won't get it). I appreciate your and Eagleeyes information but a confirmation from the teams is so much better.

We're going to start to get some answers soon. I'm hearing that there will be some testing at Homestead the week of Jan. 4. Its not the big preseason test, but supposedly Alex Tagliani will be there, and although I haven't heard anything I would expect HVM to be there as well if the deal with Stargate Worlds is going to happen because Simona is having a difficult time getting a full license because of her lack of oval experience.

There is a lot of mystery sort of swirling around HVM at the moment as far as I'm concerned. From what I've heard they're arguing with the league about how many miles she needs to have in order to get her full license. Supposedly the league wants her to have 2,500 miles on an oval before she can get her license, and HVM/Stargate worlds is objecting because 2,500 miles on an empty oval doesn't help you become that much of a better driver because it doesn't help you deal with traffic and just costs the team a ton of money that could be spent elsewhere.

At issue is Franck Perera, Mario Moraes, Enrque Bernoldi, E.J. Viso and Milka Dunno. The league made Milka do the required run-in miles on an oval, but allowed Perera, Moraes, Viso, and Moraes to get a full license with no oval race experience and limited oval testing. So the league is stuck between the fact they let a bunch of drivers with limited oval experience, Moraes and Viso having done rather well for themselves who didn't have to do the run in. It's a point of contention I expect to be resolved because its unfair to require Simona to do the run in miles and not Moraes and the others, who proved you can transition to ovals with little experience.

What also has me curious about HVM is that on their website they list Red Bull and ING as their top two sponsors, both longtime sponsors of Robert Doornbos, also Jumbo Supermarkten, which was with the team back when it was Team Minardi. None of those companies which had any signage on the HVM or NHL car last year; so either they're listing Bobby D's personal sponsors as team sponsors, or HVM could have considerably more money than last year.

Phoenixent
2nd January 2010, 20:33
1. So big Penske gets a "excuse" for not beating Panther and their 1 car operation in 2002? Panther beat them fair and square. Of course that Panther Racing and the 2009 version aren't even close to the same team. Many of the key components that made Panther special are long gone.

Panther won 5 races and Penske 4 races in 2002. Never said that that get a pass on that year. It just takes time to build data on the tracks if you have not raced on them before. As for 2009 Panther not being the same team the only that problem rests entirely on John Bernard as it's his team.

Andretti-Green Racing was in CART as Team KOOL Green. Berry sold the whole team to Michael Andretti and Kim Green. The team then went to the IRL as Honda's factory team.

Scotty G you need to look at the history of Indycar as a whole from 1909 to now.

TURN3
3rd January 2010, 03:50

3. Panther isn't going to find money. Neither are most of the other teams in Indy Car. They will just do what is easiest....which means wait for a ride-buyer to show up with a check and hope it works out. These teams aren't interested in "competing" with the big boy teams. They are just looking to survive from year-to-year.

You aren't looking at your facts very objectively. As former CART teams came to the IRL, they took over and dominated. It is pure and simple, Penske and Ganassi and TKG (AGR) were competitive out of the box and then dominated. Panther may have been the best pre-league credibility but once the real teams started making the transition they were toast inside of 2 years. And if memory serves me correct that is whilst Penske and Ganassi struggled with Toyota being uncompetitive.

Andretti-Green did race in CART, the team name simply changed. Michael was part owner of the team before the transition, Barry Green just sold out. Not something you can argue against. Otherwise your rationale would be the Andretti Autosports is a first year team and all their records are starting with a clean sheet of paper. I'll guaranty you that Dario and TK's championship banners are hanging in their shop.

Lastly, you are correct (finally) in that Panther isn't going to find any money. Neither is anybody else. If Penske struggles for over a year to find $$ for a driver like Will Power, and a guy like PT that would instantly be the 2nd most popular driver in the series can't find $$, then Panther has no chance either. It is sad, sad, and sad. As has been argued in other threads, like it or not, the only way Indycar gets it's mojo back is to open the rules and let innovation take over and let the speeds climb. Otherwise, all we have is a poor product with mostly average and below drivers that don't excite anybody.

Scotty G.
3rd January 2010, 15:31
Panther may have been the best pre-league credibility but once the real teams started making the transition they were toast inside of 2 years.

Panther WAS a real team, when they were being bankrolled by Chevy and had a REAL driver in their car. They could have competed with ANY team from CART in the early 2000's (and did).

There were only about 3 REAL teams in CART anyway (NHL needed all the other good teams to go away before they could start dominating. They were always competitive but never funded well enough to run with the Penske's and Ganassi's). They dominated just as much there as they did once they came into the IRL. Plus Honda and Toyota skewed the rules so absurdly in their favor, that it would have been a miracle for anyone else to stay with them (which was proven out, when guys like Scott Sharp and Felipe Giaffone were winning races with the Honda bankrolled Nunn team and even Tora Takagi looked like a real racer).

Panther started to fall by the wayside once Chevy was priced out of competition by the yen and they replaced Hornish with Scheckter. Hiring Scheckter proved to be a mistake and the team fell apart because of it. Now, its just a shadow of its former self with it being basically Barnes and a bunch of his lackey's. Wheldon would love to get out, but his contract says he can't and there isn't anywhere else to go anyway. He'll be gone by 2011 and Panther might be too.

They haven't been the same since and never will.

TURN3
3rd January 2010, 21:33
Panther WAS a real team, when they were being bankrolled by Chevy and had a REAL driver in their car. They could have competed with ANY team from CART in the early 2000's (and did).

There were only about 3 REAL teams in CART anyway (NHL needed all the other good teams to go away before they could start dominating. They were always competitive but never funded well enough to run with the Penske's and Ganassi's). They dominated just as much there as they did once they came into the IRL. Plus Honda and Toyota skewed the rules so absurdly in their favor, that it would have been a miracle for anyone else to stay with them (which was proven out, when guys like Scott Sharp and Felipe Giaffone were winning races with the Honda bankrolled Nunn team and even Tora Takagi looked like a real racer).

Panther started to fall by the wayside once Chevy was priced out of competition by the yen and they replaced Hornish with Scheckter. Hiring Scheckter proved to be a mistake and the team fell apart because of it. Now, its just a shadow of its former self with it being basically Barnes and a bunch of his lackey's. Wheldon would love to get out, but his contract says he can't and there isn't anywhere else to go anyway. He'll be gone by 2011 and Panther might be too.

They haven't been the same since and never will.

You are correct, Panther was a real team when they had Chevy support and a failed Atlantic driver that only got his shot because the IRL was weak. Granted, Sammy became a good oval driver albeit with the dominant team in a weak series. I think he showed what chemistry and confidence could do given that change and my kudos go to him for that (i.e. Danica still hasn't gotten that far in similiar circumstances). I have to correct you though, Panther, in no way shape or form could've competed with any of the 4 top teams in CART at that time. All you have to do is look at what happened when the CART teams started coming across. Starting with Indy, CART teams not only won every 500 they began to enter but were sweep to top 3 and sometimes 5 spots. It isn't to put Panther down but they were swimming with fishes until the sharks came.

As for NHL, please check your stats but pre-Champ Car with Bourdais, NHL was a close 2nd to number of wins to Penske and had dominated a Ganassi and Penske stocked field for 2+ years with DaMatta. It was always a NH and Penske league until Ganassi went with Firestone and made all the right moves with Reynard/Lola and Honda/Toyota. His team busted onto the scene when open wheel was at its most competitive and TKG came along shortly after with PT, Dario and eventually the 3 car team with Michael. You could bank that the winner was coming from one of those 4 teams. Your analysis of NHL is far off as is further evidenced by their competitive level on last minute notice at the transition and last year almost becoming the 3 in the big 3. I have been a fan of pretty much anybody they were beating so believe me crediting them isn't something I like to do but I am hopeful they continue their long a rich history of success for the overall sake of our sport.

Scotty G.
4th January 2010, 15:07
1. You are correct, Panther was a real team when they had Chevy support and a failed Atlantic driver that only got his shot because the IRL was weak.

2. I have to correct you though, Panther, in no way shape or form could've competed with any of the 4 top teams in CART at that time.

3. As for NHL, please check your stats but pre-Champ Car with Bourdais, NHL was a close 2nd to number of wins to Penske and had dominated a Ganassi and Penske stocked field for 2+ years with DaMatta.

1. I don't think anyone here has to defend what Sam did in Indy Car Racing. He was the BEST oval racer of the past decade. He got his "shot" in Indy Cars with PDM Racing, thanks to his father's trucking money. He showed well there (back when lower buck teams still could actually compete in Indy Cars and weren't beaten by the time the green flag flew each race) and got HIRED by Panther because of his results with PDM and the testing he did with Panther auditioning for the ride.

Sam was no more a "failed Atlantic driver" as Ryan Briscoe was a "failed Indy Car driver" or Dario Franchitti was a "failed NASCAR driver" when they were hired by Penske and Ganassi respectively. We all know Atlantics and all feeder series are just about who has the biggest check and that a lot of truly talented kids get left in the dust and never are able to show their true abilities because of that. Its a reason why Indy Car is so screwed up now).

2. Check the 2002 IRL points championship standings and your point becomes meaningless. They did compete with them and they beat them. They only fell off the map, when the IRL decided to link itself to Honda and Toyota's teat and they ran Chevy out of the sport. That sent Hornish away. That sent much of their funding away. Couple that with many of the key people leaving the team and the hiring of Scheckter and you have a recipe for disaster. But in the early 2000's, they would have held their own with ANYONE from CART on a oval.

3. I used the word "dominated" for a reason. Newman-Haas was always a competitive team. They won their share of races, with Andretti and Mansell. Nobody is saying otherwise. They didn't start "dominating" though, until the Penske's and Ganassi's left their series though. If you use the logic about Panther only being strong because they were in a "weak series" then it has to apply to Newman/Haas as well in the mid 2000's of Champ Car. And both Panther and NHL won the same amount of races last year in Indy Cars. Both are struggling with funding now and both have lost many of their key components that made them strong in their glory years. They really mirror one another, in that regard.

MDS
4th January 2010, 21:59
Not to interrupt the flame war about things that happened five or six years ago, but Andretti Autosport announced a partial schedule for Ryan Hunter Reay today

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80733

Chamoo
4th January 2010, 22:08
Not to interrupt the flame war about things that happened five or six years ago, but Andretti Autosport announced a partial schedule for Ryan Hunter Reay today

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80733

Was about to mention that, and was about to mention that they should be taking this war to PM and not discussing it in the Silly Season Thread.

TURN3
4th January 2010, 23:09
Was about to mention that, and was about to mention that they should be taking this war to PM and not discussing it in the Silly Season Thread.

Granted we have gotten off topic regarding silly season. It has come in the course of discucssing Panther, their driver, and ability to get sponsorship and money to stay competitive. Far be it from you to EVER get off topic, don't ever let me see it happen from you. When Starter appoints you moderator you can pipe in...otherwise practice what you preach or shut up and ignore what you choose to find irrelavent.

Phoenixent
5th January 2010, 03:13

As a writer/reporter you should know that if some fact is mentioned about the past then it should be backed up historically. If it's incorrect and left as fact then you are putting out a poor product and misleading people. Some items Scotty G. said were not correct and had to be corrected. It does not matter if it's USAC, CART, Champcar, or the IRL history is history and it's part of today and tomorrow.

Now back to Silly Season.... :D

MDS
5th January 2010, 17:15
A couple more notes. Curt Cavin released his take on the entry list for next year

A.J. Foyt Racing: Vitor Meira. Andretti Autosport: Marco Andretti, Tony Kanaan, Danica Patrick and Ryan Hunter-Reay (expected to be full-time).
Team Penske: Helio Castroneves, Ryan Briscoe, Will Power.
Ganassi Racing: Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon.
Panther Racing: Dan Wheldon.
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing: Likely two cars.
Sarah Fisher Racing: Sarah Fisher at nine races, Jay Howard at four.
Vision Racing: Likely Ed Carpenter.
Dale Coyne Racing: Likely Justin Wilson.
Conquest Racing: TBD.
HVM Racing: Robert Doornbos and second TBD.
Team 3G: TBD.
Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing: Graham Rahal, Alex Lloyd and Hideki Mutoh.
KV Racing Technology: Mario Moraes and second TBD.
Luczo Dragon Racing: Rafa Matos.
Rahal Letterman Racing: TBD.
Fazzt Race Team: Alex Tagliani and second TBD.

Also, if you're looking to get into racing Mathiasen Motorsports is selling its Formula Atlantic equipment. http://www.mathiasenmotorsports.com/news.htm

MDS
7th January 2010, 22:13
Since we've talked so much about sponsorship and whatnot, racer has an excellent look at how deals like Target work

http://www.racer.com/industry-insight-vendor-partner-based-sponsorships-explained/article/160731/

Also FAST posted a video snap shot of Tags pounding around Homestead

http://www.fazztraceteam.com/

jackmart
8th January 2010, 06:56
I wonder if there is issues with Grahams contract bc his latest tweets are about how racing concerns are taking away from his sleep. Also will NHL have 3 cars then as I see above? I don't see that happening. I wonderr if TK will still push for Hidieki to get a gf now that they aren't on the same teams.

TURN3
8th January 2010, 13:39
I wonder if there is issues with Grahams contract bc his latest tweets are about how racing concerns are taking away from his sleep. Also will NHL have 3 cars then as I see above? I don't see that happening. I wonderr if TK will still push for Hidieki to get a gf now that they aren't on the same teams.

I quit following Graham on Twitter because every other tweet he referenced his girlfriend. He was starting to sound like a high school freshman instead of a stud Indycar driver. Hope his mention of losing sleep is more to the point of getting the NHL up to speed now that testing is starting for teams. I think Graham having a solid ride is as sure of thing as anybody currently locked into a seat or not. The teams and league are not that stupid despite other obvious evidence to the contrary....they couldn't possible foul that up.

MDS
8th January 2010, 19:03
The Dutch version of Autosport posted their list, nothing new, but I thought the bable-fish translation was funny

IndyCar-seizoen 2010 concerning something more than two months of start go in Brazil, where the class for the first time the circuit of Interlagos strikes as. As yet not yet clear how many cyclists are there in Brazil to start, for this reason below update of the Silly Season in the IndyCar serials will stand!

Team Penske
#3 team Penske: For the number 3-bolide of team Penske Helio Castroneves for 2010 have been confirmed. The Brazilian remains therefore at the team.
#6 team Penske: For the number 6-bolide of team Penske Ryan Briscoe for 2010 have been confirmed. Also he will remain therefore at the team.
#12 Verizon Wireless team Penske: For the third car of Penske Will Power for 2010 have been meanwhile confirmed.

Ganassi Racing
#10 Target chip Ganassi: The first bolide of Ganassi-team have been reserved for the champion of last season, Dario Franchitti.
#9 Target chip Ganassi: Just like the previous season Scott Dixon the fellow-member will be of Franchitti.

Andretti motor sport
#11 7-11 Andretti motor sport: The team with the new name Tony Kanaan in the number 11-bolide will leave races in 2010.
#7 GoDaddy.com Andretti motor sport: Danica Patrick also in 2010, for the team of Michael Andretti races.
#26 Venom Energy Andretti motor sport: Also Marco Andretti will continue drive coming season at the team.
#27 Andretti motor sport: Ryan Hunter-Reay have been confirmed as ' part-time' cyclist for 2010 at the team. Which races Hunter-Reay will be will drive, still unknown.

Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing
#02 McDonald' s N/H/L Racing: Graham Rahal will end up also in 2010, for Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing.
#06 N/H/L Racing: This is the first open place which we encounter in our lijstje. The coureur who will drive in 2010, beside Rahal has been not yet confessed, but Alex Lloyd make a large chance. Furthermore make at Andretti on the side the Hideki put Mutoh also a chance, but also Oriol by means of, which was previous season the substitute of Robert Doornbos, can return to the team.

Luczo Dragon Racing
#2 US air Force Luczo tarragon: Raphael Matos will end up also in 2010, for Luczo Dragon Racing, with which he made last year its debut.

KV Racing
#5 Tequilla Azul KVRT: KV Racing coureur still absolutely no has confirmed for 2010, already Mario Moraes make a large chance of staying on as of the, after a good a first season.
#15 GEICO KVRT: It seems that KV Racing also in 2010 Paul, Tracy in the Canadian races and in will use the Indy 500. This has been not yet confirmed.

Phanter Racing
#4 National Guard Phanter: Then Wheldon are certainly already of stoeltje at Phanter Racing for 2010. There also rumours do the round that the team a second car want use for Giorgio Pantano.

Dale Coyne Racing
#18 Z-Line Dale Coyne: gravy tin Wilson provided its first victory to Dale Coyne in 2009, and the Briton makes a large chance of staying on as cyclist. Furthermore Dale Coyne can use a second car, probably for Bruno Junqueira.

AJ Foyt Racing
#14 ABC Supply AJ Foyt Racing: Vitor Meira have been already confirmed and in 2010, will end up for AJ Foyt Racing.

HVM Racing
#13 PDVSA HVM Racing: Probably EJ Viso the team will be left preceding the season. The team tested earlier already the female Simona the Silvestro and she makes a good chance on the number 13-bolide.
#33 HVM Racing: Robert Doornbos signed Racing, with which he also in 2010, races at its ' in the middle of 2009 a contract at HVM; oude' champCar team.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#24 Dreyer& Reinbold: The chance which Mike Conway at Dreyer & return; Reinbold Racing for 2010 are very large.
#23 Dreyer& Reinbold: EJ Viso are with Tomas Scheckter the best candidate for the second bolide of D& R assigned Racing to get. Possibly the team will use still a third car.

Remaining teams and cyclists Beside aforesaid teams, there are cyclists still some and teams which have not yet released much over 2010. Thus for example Sarah Fisher nine races will drive this season with the #67 dollars General SFR-auto. Moreover the briton will drive John Howard in #66 the Tire Kingdom SFR-auto in four of the seventeen races this seasons. Moreover the new team FAZZT Racing Alex Tagliani have already confirmed for 2010.

Above cyclists are certainly therefore already of stoeltje, there are however also still rijders who are present in uncertainty over 2010. Thus is still highest uncertain or the new team the Ferran Motorsports, however, to the start will appear. According to bulletins the team of Gil has the Ferran financiele problems. Further is also not clear or Vision Racing, however, to the start stand in Interlagos. Because of this also the future of cyclist Ed Carpenter uncertain is. Moreover Conquest want Racing that in 2009, drove some races, in 2010, fulltime return to the IndyCar serials. The team will stand then probable to the start with Nelson Phillippe. Team 3G Racing also fulltime wants return to the IndyCar with probable Richard Antinucci behind the wheel. Buddy Lazier are however also still a possibility for #98-bolide.

Finally Newman/Wachs Racing consider, which end up at present in the Atlantics, making the overstap to the IndyCar. The team cyclist John Edwards wants take along. YOU see it, there are still a heap obscurities for the coming season. That it will becomes stretching is now already certain, thus Autosportweb.nl for the last news watch serials 2010 around the IndyCar.

MDS
8th January 2010, 22:52
Oreo seems to have some information that points to Hedeki Mutoh and Takuma Sato having rides. Supposedly de Ferran Motorsports isn't as dead as the rumor mill has it

Japanese connection: There are likely to be two Japanese drivers on the IndyCar Series grid in 2010 as former Formula 1 racer Takuma Sato (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/driver?seriesId=1&driverId=432) looks set to move to the American open-wheel scene with de Ferran Motorsports. Sato has an existing relationship with team boss Gil de Ferran, who served as the Honda F1 team's sporting director several years ago.
De Ferran has ceased its Honda-funded, Acura-branded American Le Mans Series program to eliminate conflicts of interest and allow its transition into the IndyCar Series, where all competitors are powered by spec Honda engines.
Hideki Mutoh (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/driver?seriesId=1&driverId=917), a veteran of two years in the IndyCar Series, is looking to move to Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, which is likely to field three cars in 2010. Emerging star Graham Rahal (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/driver?seriesId=1&driverId=872) returns for his fourth season with the team, while Alex Lloyd (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/driver?seriesId=1&driverId=4302) hopes to complete his first full IndyCar campaign.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4807912&name=oreovicz_john

Scotty G.
9th January 2010, 06:46
Hot rumor is that JR Hildebrand is supposedly close to a deal with Sam Schmidt Motorsports, to run selected races in Indy Lights (the road courses) and selected races in Indy Car (a few oval races, including the Indy 500). The Indy Car program will likely be a low enough number (under 5 races) to keep his "rookie" status for 2011 (should he be a full-time Indy Car driver by then).

DanicaFan
13th January 2010, 19:41
For the 2nd year in a row, Sam Schmidt Motorsports and Chip Ganassi Racing will team up for this year's Indianapolis 500. The driver will be Townsend Bell and he will be driving the #99 car.

Townsend Bell finished 4th at last year's Indy 500.

Ironcurtainantihero
13th January 2010, 21:34
I'm very glad for Townsend, as he is a talented driver who sadly hasn't gotten a chance in a real good car for a full season, but hopefully he'll do well here again and it leads to something.

Slightly off-subject, I would also love to see Townsend join the IndyCar broadcast team in some capacity or another. He filled in as an analyst on SPEED's F1 coverage a while back and was really very good.

MDS
16th January 2010, 17:29
It’s been a month, so here’s the update

Full Time

12-Will Power Verizon
(There's a pretty good chance we may see some different sponsorship on the 3 and 6 as there are rumored changes with the Phillip Morris deal)

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon Target

Andretti Racing
7- Danica Patrick GoDaddy (3-year deal)
11- Helio Castroneves 7-11
26- Marco Andretti Venom Energy Drink (3-year with an option for a fourth)

Alex Lloyd HER energy drink
Hideki Mutoh Formula Dream
Graham Rahal McDonalds?

KVRT
5- Mario Moraes

Dale Coye Racing
18- Justin Wilson? Z-Line Designs
19- ??? Boy Scouts of America

FAST Racing
77-Alex Tagalini, at least three different sponsors

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos (They are going to have a new paint scheme, and hopefully a sponsorship to go with it, but they might go part time too.)

Panther racing

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos

24-Mike Conway?/Justin Wilson?/E.J. Viso?
42-Milka Dunno?/Tomas Sheckter?/James Hinchcliff?/Anyone with a check?

Part time

Sarah Fisher Racing
67 Sarah Fisher Dollar General (St. Petersburg, Barber, Kansas, Indy, Texas, Iowa, Chicago, Kentucky, Miami)

Vision Racing
20- Ed Carpenter Menards (ovals only)

Andretti Autosport
37 Ryan Hunter Reay Izod (Brazil, St. Pete, Long Beach, Indy, Toronto and Homestead)

Panther
There’s a good chance that GP2 champ Giorgio Pantano brings money to the team for a second car. He’s a good shoe that will never get a sniff at F-1 and could have a long and successful career in the ICS.

KVRT
15 Paul Tracy Gieco/Honda of Canada (St. Pete, Kansas Indy, Toronto, Watkins Glen, Edmonton and maybe Long Beach)

8? KV wants to go to three cars next year and have been talking with a lot of sponsors and drivers to make it happen. I've heard every driver whose ever thought of driving an Indy Car linked to them, but they’ve been rather quiet lately.

Team Rahal
17 I still haven’t heard anything rumored about this team.

de Ferren Motorsports
According to Cavin Graham Rahal isn’t signed yet and Gil is very high on him, but only has half the budget he wants to have and the clock is not his friend at this point.

Conquest Racing
No idea what is going on with this team, but according to Cavin Eric Bachelart was at the driver’s meeting with Bruno and Jan Heylen, but really good shoes with nothing else lined up.

3G
98 Jaques Lazier is listed as their driver but he hasn’t drive on a road course ever

Sam Schmidt Racing
??- There is a rumor floating around that J.R. Hildabrand is trying to put together a partial with SSR that would include Indy 500, but I’m also hearing that he’s going to be a develop driver for Force India and go to GP2.

Potential Indy One offs

Newman Wachs Racing
34 John Edwards

Sam Schmidt Racing + Support from Ganassi Racing
99 Townsend Bell

Bryan Herta Autosport
Is expanding and will probably run an one-off at Indy and has a plethora of young talented drivers to choose from if he doesn’t decide to go the ride buyer route

KVRT
If they have to return to a one-care team look for them to field more two cars again in the 500, Paul Tracy and another car for another driver, unsure who that might be at this point, J.R. Hildabrand has been rumored as have any number of drivers.

D&RR
Look for them to field one to two extra cars for the 500 depending who comes to them with a check

Free agents/ride buyers

Graham Rahal: He’s wanted by a number of teams that supposedly don’t have the money they need to put him in a good car. He doesn’t have a contract with NHL, despite the Izod commercials, and there have been rumors that McDonalds has been gone, but some of the same people spreading that rumor were the same folks that said McD never contributed much money anyway, so I’m not sure I believe that. Could end up at a third car at Ganassi, NHL, KVRT, or the primary at de Ferran.

James Hinchcliff: He’s been rumored with a lot of teams. What I heard most recently is if Justin Wilson goes elsewhere Hinch a likely candidate to end up in the Z-Line Ride, but could also end up in the BSA car or DR&R

Ana Beatriz: She’s announced she will be at the Sao Palo race, but no details as to which team. She was at the driver’s meeting this week with Gil.

EJ Viso: Yes there have been the rumors of him ending up at Ganassi, but I don't buy it. I expect him to be back with the series in some capacity, but its still an open question as to where. He’s a good shoe, wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up at D&RR or DCR

Kevin LaCroix: He is rumored to be the second driver that FAZZT is looking at running at Indy and the Canadian races.

Bruno Junquiera: Maybe Bachelor can get enough money to put him in a car for a season.

Nelson Phillipe: He’s pulled out of the Conquest ride. Someone told me he’s spooked about racing after

Paul Tracy: Geico is back for Indy and the American races on ABC. Honda of Canada is on board for Toronto and Edmonton. Perhaps coquinciently he was in Homestead the same time as FAZZT and Chip Ganassi’s outfit was doing some testing.

Milka Duno: Going to race at Daytona in ARCA probably going to return to D&R in a limited capacity.

Jan Heylen: Doesn't have the funding he once had, but still a talented shoe. If Conquest finds money for a car he could be a good fit, but I doubt we'll see him,

Sebastien Bourdais: He doesn't have anything lined up other than his ride in the 24 hours of Le Mans next year and probably returning to the Superleague, because the Superleague has a rather rich prize fund at the moment.

Ironcurtainantihero
18th January 2010, 21:11
Thank you, MDS. I look forward to hearing from you who will/may be where because that fascinates me and truthfully, it's hard to get the information anywhere else.

EagleEye
19th January 2010, 16:46
From the one who first posted about #37, #77 and McD's going away...among other things.

Fazzt, not FAST. Kanaan, not HCN. Andretti Auotosport, not Andretti Racing.

3- Helio Castroneves Phillip Morris
6- Ryan Brisco Phillip Morris
12-Will Power Verizon

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon Target
TBD- TBD

The team is trying to secure Rahal, as this is being written.

Andretti Autosport
11- Tony Kanaan 7-11
26- Marco Andretti Venom Energy Drink
37- RHR Izod/VH

06- Hideki Mutoh Formula Dream

KVRT
5- TBD
8- Viso
15- Paul Tracy (part time)

Moraes is still in the picture, but will have to bring some money. Hearing Rahal called KK.

Dale Coye Racing
18- TBD Z-Line Designs
19- TBD Boy Scouts of America

Hinchcliff, and maybe Hilderbrad. One paid, one paying driver. Still trying to secure Wilson.

FAZZT Racing

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos

Panther Racing
TBD- TBD

Pantano looking to bring some $$

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos

24-Justin Wilson
TBD-Anyone with a check?

Justin close to signing, but looking at options.

Sarah Fisher Racing

Vision Racing
20- Ed Carpenter Menards (part time, may use a ride buyer for RR)

Others trying:

Team Rahal
Looking for $$

de Ferren Motorsports
Almost everyone released, gone. No $$, still looking. Partial budget might be used for lites.

Conquest Racing
No idea what is going on with this team, but according to Cavin Eric Bachelart was at the driver’s meeting with Bruno and Jan Heylen, but really good shoes with nothing else lined up.- spot on, and anyone's guess. Hope they get funding. Partial season?

3G
Other than Indy an an oval or too, this is now the new Eldon Rassmusson rent-a-ride.

Sam Schmidt Racing/Ganassi
99- Townsend Bell (aka tinker Bell) for Indy. He did a great job last year.

Free agents/ride buyers

Graham Rahal: He’s wanted by a number of teams that supposedly don’t have the money they need to put him in a good car. He doesn’t have a contract with NHL, despite the Izod commercials, and McDonalds is gone. Could end up at a third car at Ganassi, KVRT, or the primary at de Ferran. Money is the issue and there is a scramble for his services.

Ana Beatriz: She’s announced she will be at the Sao Palo race, but no details as to which team. She was at the driver’s meeting this week with Gil.

Bruno Junquiera: Trying to get funding for Brazil and Indy.

Nelson Phillipe: He’s pulled out of the Conquest ride due to a lack of funding.

Jan Heylen: Has a few $$ for a some races.

Chamoo
19th January 2010, 16:56
What does Justin Wilson see in switching from DCR to D&R? If the EagleEye is right in that DCR is willing to pay 1 driver and have a paying driver for the other ride, why wouldnt JW take the paid drive? DCR showed a lot of potential on ovals last season, and we already know they are good on road and street courses. I would had ranked DCR ahead of D&R all of 2009.

If this does happen, he will be the first CCWS driver to join a non ICS team since the merger (I believe). Until now, IRL teams have stuck with IRL drivers, and CCWS teams have stuck with CCWS drivers.

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2010, 17:31
I think Justin not being with Coyne is just wrong. He got them their first win and now he is out the door? I don't see the Dreyer and Reinbold people putting the same quality of ride under him on road/street courses and that is where Justin is his strongest...

EagleEye
19th January 2010, 17:45
What does Justin Wilson see in switching from DCR to D&R? If the EagleEye is right in that DCR is willing to pay 1 driver and have a paying driver for the other ride, why wouldnt JW take the paid drive? DCR showed a lot of potential on ovals last season, and we already know they are good on road and street courses. I would had ranked DCR ahead of D&R all of 2009.

If this does happen, he will be the first CCWS driver to join a non ICS team since the merger (I believe). Until now, IRL teams have stuck with IRL drivers, and CCWS teams have stuck with CCWS drivers.

Justin might end up elsewhere including back with DCR but what he really wants is to get 2010 settled so he can start working with the team in order to get the best results. I know he enjoyed DCR, and if something firm was offered he would probably stay on, but he does not want another deal that comes just prior to the start of the season.

The biggest issue for just about everyone is money or lack there of. While there is a glimer of hope the DTV/Versus issue will be resolved, there has yet to be ANY promotion of the series or drivers by the IRL, and so far few see any real improvement of TV ratings in 2010.

jwhite9185
19th January 2010, 18:35

Apart from Will Power at Penske.

Scotty G.
19th January 2010, 22:09
Having Moraes, Viso and Tracy on the same team might put Vasser out of business. Hope they have plenty of spare parts and tubs. :eek:

I have heard the Moraes family checkbook has closed, after his father's death. And if that's the case, Mario will be a goner (because nobody would hire this guy without the big check he has written the past 2 years).

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2010, 22:44
Having Moraes, Viso and Tracy on the same team might put Vasser out of business. Hope they have plenty of spare parts and tubs. :eek:

I have heard the Moraes family checkbook has closed, after his father's death. And if that's the case, Mario will be a goner (because nobody would hire this guy without the big check he has written the past 2 years).

Tracy doesn't wreck cars like he once did....but that still doesn't mean he isn't capable of tearing up stuff. Just the difference is Tracy used to compete for wins....never saw Moraes or Viso compete for wins....

Scotty G.
19th January 2010, 22:54
Tracy doesn't wreck cars like he once did....but that still doesn't mean he isn't capable of tearing up stuff. Just the difference is Tracy used to compete for wins....never saw Moraes or Viso compete for wins....

Now, this we can agree on. :)

Although, if PT had more races each year, he would have more chances to tear up stuff. ;)

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2010, 23:21
Now, this we can agree on. :)

Although, if PT had more races each year, he would have more chances to tear up stuff. ;)

Naah...PT has tamed down his act quite a bit really.....

TURN3
20th January 2010, 06:21
Naah...PT has tamed down his act quite a bit really.....

There is no bigger fan of PT than me. He hasn't tamed down anything, he is balls to the wall and ready to make stuff happen as always. Just look at the restarts at Indy last year, even Danica was commenting on him on those restarts after the race. Look at his charge in Toronto, his opening lap aggressiveness at Edmonton. I say his heart is still where it needs to be. The difference is these cars are just more stuck to the ground and much easier to maintain control of. I think that also is why he is as competitive as he was last year as a part timer at his age. Frankly, I know his prime has passed but in this car formula, I think he can compete to the max ability of the team he is on. He should've won Toronto last year and that was on shear speed (or really how well his car was under braking). If KV is still on par this year I think he'll make some noise and Moreas really came on at the end of last year...KV is no part of the big 3 or whatever but they are competitive now.

MDS
20th January 2010, 15:37

Really? After his father's death Mario finished 4, 3, 5, and 7. The kid is 20 and has shown impressive speed on road and oval tracks. He's poised to have a breakout year.

MDS
20th January 2010, 15:49
From the one who first posted about #37, #77 and McD's going away...among other things.

Seriously, we have to post whose first about things? So now I have to point out I was first about Robert Doornbos leaving NHL, Comcast buying NBC and with the rumors that GDF had closed up his shop among other things at the top of my posts?

Also, if you're just going to cut and paste large sections of my posts and pass them off as your own its normal procedure to use the quote button, something you've used well in the past, so as to give credit to the person who actually did the work.

EagleEye
20th January 2010, 15:49
Really? After his father's death Mario finished 4, 3, 5, and 7. The kid is 20 and has shown impressive speed on road and oval tracks. He's poised to have a breakout year.

The money has been reduced, and he is indeed showed great speed. Even JV said he should be paid, instead of paying, for a ride. BUT, the team lacks the money to offer him a paid ride. That has been the hold up, just as it has been for some time for other teams. Rahal, Wilson, and Moraes all have earned to be paid to race and hopefully teams will find funding to get them signed.

Things, are quite bad right now...just ask TG.

SarahFan
20th January 2010, 16:06
so whats the recap at this point?

if St Pete was this weekend how many confirmed team/driver would be on the grid?

MDS
21st January 2010, 03:09
so whats the recap at this point?

if St Pete was this weekend how many confirmed team/driver would be on the grid?

I don't know, its that time of year where everything is in flux; this time Graham Rahal is at the center of the uncertainty. Once his fate is known a lot of other things will fall into place, but I would expect about 22 ft cars.

My IM has been lit up all date with people trying to get info, and it all comes back to Graham, who will have a ride in the series next year, but no bets as to where. TCG and NHL are trying to finalize deals to get him into a third car there. KV Racing is looking at having to self-fund the 5 next season and if they can't do that they want the best driver available, and Graham has a good relationship with both of them. If those all fail Dale Coyne has reached out to him for the BSA ride. I don't expect we'll see many announcements until Graham's fate is known, after that I'd expect we'll know what the field looks like in short order.

Then there is Gill. The rumors are all over the map about de Ferran. He has let most of his crew go, including John Anderson who is now with F1GP, but most of them haven't found jobs yet and could be recalled on short notice. I've heard everything from he's done to he's close getting a multi-year deal done for Graham Rahal to drive and could make an announcement "Any day now." Supposedly he's working two plans, one for Graham and one with a backup driver whose name I don't know at this point. I know Gil has talked about needing two cars, but at this point I think he'd take one well-funded entry with a part-time entry, and there are a couple of Brazilian drivers with cash looking to make that first race.

jackmart
21st January 2010, 06:43
I can't believe Graham hasn't signed yet. I secretly hopes he goes to TCG, then he would win a whole lot of races.

ahh, the anticipation

Scotty G.
21st January 2010, 15:12
I realize this is a very unlikely possibility, but if it came true! What a marketing coup. The all American boy in the series driving for the perpetually underfunded, but valiant, team. What's not to root for? How marketable is that for the series? How many BSA members become fans - dragging family and friends along with them?

Actually, I think it would be kinda sad if the best ride Graham could find (and get hired for) was a 2nd car with Dale Coyne's midpack team. Dale has good people and they work hard. But its still miles behind the 3 big dog teams at most places.

The sport desperately needs a Graham Rahal to be challenging for race wins and running up front on a consistant basis. Not running 10th, playing footsie with the EJ Viso's and Hideki Mutoh's of the series.

He can run up front on both ovals and road courses with Gil, Vasser or Ganassi's team. He won't with Coyne.

The BSA ride would be perfect for a new American driver, just getting their feet wet in Indy Car Racing. Maybe one, that has won races at every level he's ever driven at. Maybe one, that won the top feeder series championship just last year. Maybe one, who's personality and background would be a perfect fit for the Boy Scouts partnership.

That is who should get the call, to drive the #19 in 2010. Maybe for once, common sense will prevail in this sport. Maybe. :s mokin:

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2010, 17:30
Actually, I think it would be kinda sad if the best ride Graham could find (and get hired for) was a 2nd car with Dale Coyne's midpack team. Dale has good people and they work hard. But its still miles behind the 3 big dog teams at most places.

The sport desperately needs a Graham Rahal to be challenging for race wins and running up front on a consistant basis. Not running 10th, playing footsie with the EJ Viso's and Hideki Mutoh's of the series.

He can run up front on both ovals and road courses with Gil, Vasser or Ganassi's team. He won't with Coyne.

The BSA ride would be perfect for a new American driver, just getting their feet wet in Indy Car Racing. Maybe one, that has won races at every level he's ever driven at. Maybe one, that won the top feeder series championship just last year. Maybe one, who's personality and background would be a perfect fit for the Boy Scouts partnership.

That is who should get the call, to drive the #19 in 2010. Maybe for once, common sense will prevail in this sport. Maybe. :s mokin:

I am not going to disagree with you on this one. Graham has proven to be worthy of a decent ride, and if the economy was better, we are not having this conversation. It is the only factor in there that doesn't care about how good you are. If you are in a good ride and the deal is locked up, you are insulated from this turmoil, but if you are good and rideless, then you are fighting the economy, and the whims of people who have no idea of how sponsorship in racing really works. Graham will get a ride, and if he ends up at Coyne, it will be bad in that he wont be able to win everywhere, but it isn't the end of the world either. Graham's talent will eventually shine through...

Chamoo
21st January 2010, 18:06
I am not going to disagree with you on this one. Graham has proven to be worthy of a decent ride, and if the economy was better, we are not having this conversation. It is the only factor in there that doesn't care about how good you are. If you are in a good ride and the deal is locked up, you are insulated from this turmoil, but if you are good and rideless, then you are fighting the economy, and the whims of people who have no idea of how sponsorship in racing really works. Graham will get a ride, and if he ends up at Coyne, it will be bad in that he wont be able to win everywhere, but it isn't the end of the world either. Graham's talent will eventually shine through...

I wonder if running a season with Coyne would actually be a bad thing for Graham? I mean, he has been with a top flight team for 3 seasons now, a team with all the resources a driver would need. Maybe running a season with DCR would afford Graham the opportunity to learn the things guys who start with lower rung teams have to learn.

I would bet that Justin Wilson, Paul Tracy, Oriol Servia, and several others that moved on to other drives would say that running and working with DCR made them better drivers in the long run.

Both Marco Andretti and Graham Rahal have never been in the position where they have had to scrape and scratch to get a setup that would get them into the top 10. They've usually shown up expecting to run near the front of the pack.

The point I'm getting across is that maybe running with DCR will help Graham become a more consistent driver, and that in a year after running with DCR he would come out of it as a better overall driver.

Just something to think about. Of course, I'd love to see him stay at NHL, but maybe moving to DCR wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

SarahFan
21st January 2010, 18:54
interesting take chamoo.....

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2010, 19:17
Chamoo, I don't think it will hurt his development as a driver if he chooses to look forward and take advantage of the education. Some drivers however never seem to cope with these sort of setbacks. I think Graham having his dad as a sounding board will make the difference.

That said, I like Graham and his doing well is a good thing for the IRL. (I know Scotty G will find it hard to believe I said that). That said....young Mr. Rahal has to earn his way. One of the reasons I think Marco isn't progressing is because he hasn't had to work for anyone but his dad. No free lunches in racing if you want to improve...

EagleEye
22nd January 2010, 03:53
Seriously, we have to post whose first about things? So now I have to point out I was first about Robert Doornbos leaving NHL, Comcast buying NBC and with the rumors that GDF had closed up his shop among other things at the top of my posts?

Also, if you're just going to cut and paste large sections of my posts and pass them off as your own its normal procedure to use the quote button, something you've used well in the past, so as to give credit to the person who actually did the work.

You tend to post quite a bit of what has been reported elsewhere. Comcast buying NBC was reported in the WSJ long before you posted it, and had yet to have any affect on the IRL races.

Certain reasons prevented me from posting about Doornbos...some day I will tell you all about it. GDF had no money after he got greedy with Honda....again, not a big surprise or major annoucement.

I'll give you a big star, though I had talked to Ando between racquetball games at the gym about the money issues they were having.

I give credit to the other reporters who posted information before you repeated it. I did give you credit on one of your updates, saying it was spot on, can not remember which one.

Additionally, I did say updates with corrections. I copied your post, becuase the format YOU CREATED is simple and informative. Hopefully, you can make the proper corrections (Fazzt, Kanaan, Andretti autosport, etc.)

Ypu certainly have been reading up on things, and touching base with some.

Update on DR:

Larry and Dennis appear ready to up the program, and are really going after Wilson and Conway. The team is looking to take it to the next level, and i this happens they could be the fan favorite for 2010! Kudos to Dennis and Larry for moving forward in a such a way and I hope the funding comes together.

So this is a split as you have had Conway here for some time, and I added Wilson.

Money can and will change everything. Things are going to be interesting from here on out. We can, all get along. See you in Brazil.

EagleEye
22nd January 2010, 04:05
12-Will Power Verizon

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon Target
TBD- TBD

The team is trying to secure Rahal, as this is being written. The team that gets funding, might be the first to get Rahal.

Andretti Autosport
11- Tony Kanaan 7-11
37- RHR Izod/VH

06- Hideki Mutoh Formula Dream

KVRT
5- TBD
8- Viso
15- Paul Tracy (part time)

Moraes is still in the picture, but will have to bring some money. Hearing Rahal called KK. Viso might do part time in races not featuring Tracy.

Dale Coye Racing
18- TBD Z-Line Designs

Hinchcliff, and maybe Hilderbrad. One paid, one paying driver. Still trying to secure Wilson.

FAZZT Racing

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos

Panther Racing
TBD- TBD

Pantano looking to bring some $$

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos

24-Justin Wilson
TBD- Conway

Justin close to signing, but looking at options. Team trying to sign Conway as well.

Sarah Fisher Racing

Vision Racing
20- Ed Carpenter Menards (part time, may use a ride buyer for RR)

Others trying:

Team Rahal
Looking for $$, not likely unless Graham does not find a home.

de Ferren Motorsports
Almost everyone released, gone. No $$, still looking. Partial budget might be used for lites.

Conquest Racing
TBD- Jan Heylen for some races, Bruno to race Brazil and maybe Indy.

3G
Other than Indy an an oval or too, this is now the new Eldon Rassmusson rent-a-ride.

Sam Schmidt Racing/Ganassi
99- Townsend Bell (aka tinker Bell) for Indy. He did a great job last year.

Free agents/ride buyers

Graham Rahal: He’s wanted by a number of teams that supposedly don’t have the money they need to put him in a good car. He doesn’t have a contract with NHL, despite the Izod commercials, and McDonalds is gone. Could end up at a third car at Ganassi, KVRT, or the primary at de Ferran. Money is the issue and there is a scramble for his services.

Ana Beatriz: She’s announced she will be at the Sao Palo race, but no details as to which team. She was at the driver’s meeting this week with Gil. Most likely a one off or so in conjuntion with HVM, DR, KVRT or?

Bruno Junquiera: Trying to get funding for Brazil and Indy.

Nelson Phillipe: He’s pulled out of the Conquest ride due to a lack of funding.

Scotty G.
22nd January 2010, 04:08
Some tidbits gleaned tonight from the Trackside radio show...

1. Luzco Dragon officially will be a full-time team again in 2010. Matos will the driver. A 2nd car at Indy "and a few other events" is likely as well.

2. Bob Rahal is talking with a number of folks including a program for Alex Gurney for Indy.

3. Hildebrand reports that his search for a ride (and $$$$) has taken a positive turn recently. Says he is confident of announcing something soon and would be willing to take a lower-tier full-season deal, instead of a 5th car/Indy-only program with Andretti. Cavin thinks Coyne is the likely destination.

4. Viso looks good for KV, with Moraes looking shakier by the day with cashflow problems.

SarahFan
22nd January 2010, 05:19
So it's like 20 cars for the opening round?

Mark in Oshawa
22nd January 2010, 05:54
20 Cars is a start. It is the bar in which I hope we never go below.....

Scotty G.
22nd January 2010, 07:44
Judging by Cavin's comments on Trackside tonight and the "hints" he gave, I think Davey Hamilton is in line to drive a 2nd Luzco Dragon entry this year at a few ovals (Indy and Texas for sure) with Matos as the full-time driver for the team. I was originally thinking this could be the Beatriz ride, but now am leaning towards Hamilton here. I could see Ana running Brazil and possibly Indy for KV. Viso looks good there as a full-timer and Tracy will run Indy and a few others (at the minimum) for them as well. For Indy, KV should be a 3 car team again with Viso, Tracy and possibly Beatriz.

Hamilton once again will be sponsored by HP, BTW.

And I also think, just to prove me wrong, that Graham is somehow going to end up with Ganassi in a full-season 3rd car. I am sure the league is working diligently to make this happen (Hildebrand admitted tonight they have been helping him as well in his search for a ride). Its his best option and the only real "step up" from NHL (compared with the other 2 or 3 teams also in the running). Maybe Gil ends up (at the last minute) coming up with something and puts Graham in a car. But I think Gil might be more inclined for a Indy-only or limited schedule type of deal (at best) for 2010.

In Indy Cars, isn't it always "silly season"?

SarahFan
22nd January 2010, 17:07
So it's like 20 cars for the opening round?

22nd Oct 09, 20:24
33 at Indy... No bumping
low of 19...high of 23

well see

^I posted the above back in October.......

*and as of now is Beatriz in for Brazil?

SarahFan
22nd January 2010, 17:34
You want to post a few stock picks here? :D :D :D

no.... but wanna post our Indy 500 Tv ratings quesses?......that's bound to ruffle some feathers

SarahFan
22nd January 2010, 17:45
http://saopauloindy300.com.br/pilotos/

^then again it looks like Brasil will have the biggest grid next to the 500

MDS
22nd January 2010, 19:36
You tend to post quite a bit of what has been reported elsewhere.

And there is a reason for that. You're probably aware teams routinely patrol these boards and if there is a significant leak, and they know who leaked that employee is often terminated. I hear things that I don't post because I don't want people to get fired. So yeah, I tend to wait until something gets announced before posting it here, and will often post conflicting rumors so as to protect people who talk to me. I'm sure you do the same thing with your Sister Cleo like predictions.

EagleEye
23rd January 2010, 00:47
And there is a reason for that. You're probably aware teams routinely patrol these boards and if there is a significant leak, and they know who leaked that employee is often terminated. I hear things that I don't post because I don't want people to get fired. So yeah, I tend to wait until something gets announced before posting it here, and will often post conflicting rumors so as to protect people who talk to me. I'm sure you do the same thing with your Sister Cleo like predictions.

My "predications" are based on facts and my being part of the seires. It certainly is a bit harder in teh off season, as you do not get to hear the latest gossip at the track.

See you in Brazil!

SarahFan
23rd January 2010, 01:12
EE.... is your flight booked for brazil already?

MDS
23rd January 2010, 01:35
My "predications" are based on facts and my being part of the seires. It certainly is a bit harder in teh off season, as you do not get to hear the latest gossip at the track.

See you in Brazil!

Anyways, yeah, I don't travel with the series anymore, so I miss out on a number of things, most recently the BSA/DCR thing. I won't be in Brazil, but I'll be at Barber for one of the days of testing next month. I'll have my old Tecate/Quaker State Patrick hat on if you want to say hello.

Civic
23rd January 2010, 01:38
I don't know about Townsend Bell with a SS/Ganassi entry. Chip seems to hate that guy, especially after he "took out" Jaques Lazier at one of the oval races a few years ago.

DiverDown
23rd January 2010, 01:48
EE is part of the series for some time and he has been spot on time and time again. I used to be part of the series (97-03ish), and I still hang out at races from time to time. I even get to work on Dallaras now and again. He has been here a long time. Some might say too long (just kidding). We have had good times...

MDS seems to be a great fan, but his crystal ball and strong opinions seem to miss as often as they hit. He does offer differing and interesting views, and we know the series needs more fans. We need less arguements, more good conversations.

I don't post much, but like to read threads. I liked the tone better over the last few months, just sharing info, so maybe I can buy you both a beer. Or two. Or wine. Two bottles.

I won't be in Brazil, once was enough, but I will be at Indy and maybe more.

Go Colts!!

Chamoo
23rd January 2010, 16:01
EE is part of the series for some time and he has been spot on time and time again. I used to be part of the series (97-03ish), and I still hang out at races from time to time. I even get to work on Dallaras now and again. He has been here a long time. Some might say too long (just kidding). We have had good times...

MDS seems to be a great fan, but his crystal ball and strong opinions seem to miss as often as they hit. He does offer differing and interesting views, and we know the series needs more fans. We need less arguements, more good conversations.

I don't post much, but like to read threads. I liked the tone better over the last few months, just sharing info, so maybe I can buy you both a beer. Or two. Or wine. Two bottles.

I won't be in Brazil, once was enough, but I will be at Indy and maybe more.

Go Colts!!

Great Post DiverDown!

EagleEye
23rd January 2010, 18:31
See you in Brazil!

Parrot with one T, got it. The, (not teh). Got it. Predictions...got it. When I get attacked, I get a bit angry, and the fingers stumble over the keys...I thought we had moved on from past attacks.

I agree with DD, especially: Go Colts!

I am still waiting to see what logo will be on our hats!

EagleEye
23rd January 2010, 18:36
EE.... is your flight booked for brazil already?

Not really, but I assume we will get our travel packets a week or so before we head out.

All kidding aside, someone gave me the Autosport 1995 and 1996 Indycar year books. Made me both smile and cry. We had our drivers, cars and team set before Thanksgiving back then....not anymore.

Scotty G.
23rd January 2010, 22:44
Graham is in Charlotte today, BTW.

Chip and Sabates might also be down there too (since their shop just happens to be located in Charlotte).

I wonder if they happen to "bump" into one another. ;)

TURN3
23rd January 2010, 22:56
Graham is in Charlotte today, BTW.

Chip and Sabates might also be down there too (since their shop just happens to be located in Charlotte).

I wonder if they happen to "bump" into one another. ;)

If Graham goes to TCGR I don't know what to think? I mean it is good he'll be in a top ride but it leaves a huge hole with a really competitive team now becoming a non-factor (NHL that is). On the other hand, you are looking at 6 cars winning every race this year instead of 4 so that will at least mix things up at the front (yes I realize J-Dub won at the Glen also). But seriously, why don't Penske and Ganassi just split the field down the middle and each field half the grid? Sign of the times but this series is way past a joke to me right now and it breaks my heart. I just hope the season gets here so we can get another year of bs out of the way.

PS...and by the way, the Colts are a joke too...we'll see if the can squeak out another victory so the NFC can guaranty a SB win finally.

Chamoo
24th January 2010, 05:23
If Graham goes to TCGR I don't know what to think? I mean it is good he'll be in a top ride but it leaves a huge hole with a really competitive team now becoming a non-factor (NHL that is). On the other hand, you are looking at 6 cars winning every race this year instead of 4 so that will at least mix things up at the front (yes I realize J-Dub won at the Glen also). But seriously, why don't Penske and Ganassi just split the field down the middle and each field half the grid? Sign of the times but this series is way past a joke to me right now and it breaks my heart. I just hope the season gets here so we can get another year of bs out of the way.

I think Alex Lloyd at NHL would be capable of winning any given weekend in their equipment. I also think Hideki would be capable of winning any given weekend the IICS runs on ovals in NHL equipment.

Lousada
24th January 2010, 12:00
I think it would be best for NHL and for Rahal if he went to another team. If I was a ridebuyer I would get angry pretty quick if I felt that the team spend more effort on the other driver who gets paid. A feeling of: "they take my money to invest in the other driver". Perhaps this was also why Doornbos never felt comfortable last year.
With Mutoh and Lloyd they would have two fresh young guys (former rivals in Indy Lights) with sponsorship. They'd both start with a clean sheet and could push eachother to great heights.

MDS
24th January 2010, 16:08
Davey Hamilton has a sponsor for three races but hasn't chosen a team yet. Curt reports he'll be at Indy, Texas and another race (most likely an oval) TBA later.

Two-time IndyCar runner-up Davey Hamilton and his sponsor, Hewlett Packard, will compete in at least three races this season, including the Indianapolis 500, with a team to be named later. One of those races is at Texas Motor Speedway, where he suffered severe foot injuries in 2001.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100122/SPORTS0107/1220326/Belskus-ponders-delegating-IRL-role

Scotty G.
24th January 2010, 17:15
Perhaps this was also why Doornbos never felt comfortable last year.

Either that, or because he was a jerk to work with and he wadded up his car too often before he was mercifully shown the door (I mean, left on his own). after he ran himself out of money. ;)

Lloyd has talent and if this team is still up to it (which could be the issue), he will do well.

NickFalzone
24th January 2010, 18:35
That's good to hear about Hamilton, he's an excellent oval racer and I like to see some of the older pros still getting a ride here and there.

Chamoo
24th January 2010, 19:27
That's good to hear about Hamilton, he's an excellent oval racer and I like to see some of the older pros still getting a ride here and there.

Yea, Hamilton is a welcome addition to the grid. Does anyone know how he hooked up with Hewlett Packard? They've been together for a while now.

Wilf
25th January 2010, 00:48
Yea, Hamilton is a welcome addition to the grid. Does anyone know how he hooked up with Hewlett Packard? They've been together for a while now.
On radio last year Davey said one of their execs took a ride in the two seater with Davey driving and it grew from there.

Josh1985
25th January 2010, 23:11
Could someone please update the chart?

Chamoo
26th January 2010, 00:35
Could someone please update the chart?

I don't believe there has been any change since the last post a couple of days ago (Post #181).

MDS
27th January 2010, 23:12
Per Josh's request. I got stuck at work tonight so I figured I'd update it while waiting for a call from the Left Coast. We're into the time of year where deals either come together or they don't. It could be a nasty year for AOWR.

Full Time

12-Will Power Verizon

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon Target

Andretti Autosport
11- Tony Kannan 7-11
37 Ryan Hunter-Reay Izod (Brazil, St. Pete, Long Beach, Indy, Toronto and Homestead, + looking for more cash)

02- Hideki Mutoh Formula Dream
06 Alex Lloyd HER energy drink

Supposedly there is a lot of turmoil at NHL, there might be a name change, and they might be down to one car for Hideki.

KVRT
5-E.J. Viso/ Mario Moraes
Money talks, possibly Mores walks....
15 Paul Tracy (Indy, Canadians, as well as the ABC races)

Dale Coye Racing
18- Justin Wilson?/James Hinchcliff?/Bruno Junqueria Z-Line Designs
19- J.R. Hildabrand? Boy Scouts of America

FAZZT Racing

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos (They are going to have a new paint scheme, and hopefully a sponsorship to go with it, but they might go part time too.)

Panther racing

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos
78?-Simona de Silvestra (Supposedly finances are in shape and she just has to pass an oval test before Kansas)

24-Mike Conway?/Justin Wilson?/E.J. Viso?
42-Milka Dunno?/Tomas Sheckter?/James Hinchcliff?/Anyone with a check?

Sarah Fisher Racing

Vision Racing
20- Ed Carpenter (ovals only)/Ride buyer (Road and street courses)

Indy One offs

Team Rahal
17 Alex Gurney (Lots of rumors about this)

Newman Wachs Racing
34 John Edwards (Although the Nuclear money might have fallen through the Atlantics haven't made good on their points money yet)

Sam Schmidt Racing + Support from Ganassi Racing
99 Townsend Bell

Bryan Herta Autosport
Is expanding and will probably run an one-off at Indy and has a plethora of young talented drivers to choose from if he doesn’t decide to go the ride buyer route

Unknown
de Ferren Motorsports
Gil has been logging a lot of air-miles looking for sponsorship, he says he's not at square one and can put together a team rather quickly.

Free agents/ride buyers

Graham Rahal: He's the big foot everyone is waiting to land. There are several teams interested in him, but as of today no one has sponsorship lined up. Ganassi, NHL, KVRT, de Ferran are all searching. He just landed in Indy today for more meetings.

James Hinchcliff: Lots of rumors, but he said in an interview that he'll probably be full time in the FIL again.

EJ Viso: Yes there have been the rumors of him ending up at Ganassi, but I don't buy it. I expect him to be back with the series in some capacity, but its still an open question as to where. He’s a good shoe, wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up at D&RR or DCR

Robby Gordon: Is looking at doing a partial NASCAR schedule and is trying to get together a program, either on his own or through another team to do Indy.

Bruno Junquiera: No money, trying to put together something, has talked with DCR lately.

EagleEye
28th January 2010, 17:03
It could be a nasty year for AOWR.

Full Time

12-Will Power Verizon

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon Target
TBD-TBD

Andretti Autosport
11- Tony Kannan 7-11
37 Ryan Hunter-Reay Izod (Brazil, St. Pete, Long Beach, Indy, Toronto and Homestead, + looking for more cash)

Newman Hass ? Racing
02- Hideki Mutoh Formula Dream
06- TBD

Supposedly there is a lot of turmoil at NHL, there might be a name change, and they might be down to one car for Hideki.

KVRT
5-E.J. Viso/ Mario Moraes
Money talks, possibly Moraes walks....

Dale Coye Racing
18- TBD Z-Line Designs
19- J.R. Hildabrand? Boy Scouts of America

FAZZT Racing

Luczo-Dragon Racing

Panther racing
TBD-TBD

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos
78?-Simona de Silvestra (Supposedly finances are in shape and she just has to pass an oval test before Kansas)

24-Justin Wilson?
42-Conway?

Sarah Fisher Racing

Vision Racing
20- TBD????

Indy One offs - too early

Vision has suspened their operation. As indicated w hile back, McD's is gone, and Lanigan might be as well.

Rahal and Wilson remain the hot prospects.

This is getting worse, instead of better.

EagleEye
29th January 2010, 18:26
Ganassi, KVRT and....Penske are working to secure young Rahal.

They are hoping to get money and get this done.

jackmart
29th January 2010, 18:56
penske is trying for Rahal hoping to have a 4th car?

also, if racing is all baout money Graham doesn't have a sponsor right? Or if you're a big team like TCG or Penske al their cars are sponsored byt the team pretty much. Is that right?

EagleEye
30th January 2010, 02:22
penske is trying for Rahal hoping to have a 4th car?

also, if racing is all baout money Graham doesn't have a sponsor right? Or if you're a big team like TCG or Penske al their cars are sponsored byt the team pretty much. Is that right?

The Captain has coveted Rahal for some time, but until now, was not available. If money were not an issue, he would be on the time by now.

There is a race within-a-race to see who can get enough money to sign him, or if someone might snatch him and worry about money later.

Scotty G.
31st January 2010, 00:38
D&R are supposed to name their drivers on Tuesday.

Looks like Wilson and Conway.

NickFalzone
31st January 2010, 03:23

Perhaps, although Scheckter has recently been commenting on Twitter that he will be in Brazil, and I presumed it was with D&R.

jwhite9185
31st January 2010, 11:18

Hmm seems like a backwards step for wilson if true. DCR really looked like they were moving up last season, where if he went to DRR he would be lucky to get in the top 5.

Although i seem to remember them having a good run with Briscoe at Watkens Glen a few years back?

beachbum
31st January 2010, 22:39
Wilson didn't sound so positive when interviewed at the Rolex. He implied he has nothing firm yet for 2010.

Chamoo
31st January 2010, 23:53
Wilson didn't sound so positive when interviewed at the Rolex. He implied he has nothing firm yet for 2010.

Justin will have a seat at DCR if he wants it I assume.

Scotty G.
2nd February 2010, 05:28
Justin will have a seat at DCR if he wants it I assume.

No, he'll have a seat with D&R, because that is where Z-line is going for 2010.

Dale gets the shaft again, it appears.

Chamoo
2nd February 2010, 13:25

I hope this isn't true. I will not cheer for D&R if they poached Dale Coynes sponsor!

Lousada
2nd February 2010, 14:01
I hope this isn't true. I will not cheer for D&R if they poached Dale Coynes sponsor!

It is true. There are a lot of interesting comments from Wilson and Z-Line in this article:
http://www.racer.com/justin-wilson-signs-with-dreyer-reinbold/article/162887/

EagleEye
2nd February 2010, 17:38

Dale is awesome, and we were all happy for him getting win last year. No one does more with less. He alsways answers teh bell, and treates everyone like family.

But check out the websites of DCR, and DR. Check who has a full time team manager, crew, engineer, and data guys. Which site has a better representation?

Look at pictures from the start of last season. See any wing bits missing from Justin's car, that most everyone else has? Notice the latest bits are on the DR cars?

DR has decided to make a bold move to increase their program, and it shows.

Chamoo
3rd February 2010, 00:28
Dale is awesome, and we were all happy for him getting win last year. No one does more with less. He alsways answers teh bell, and treates everyone like family.

But check out the websites of DCR, and DR. Check who has a full time team manager, crew, engineer, and data guys. Which site has a better representation?

Look at pictures from the start of last season. See any wing bits missing from Justin's car, that most everyone else has? Notice the latest bits are on the DR cars?

DR has decided to make a bold move to increase their program, and it shows.

Do you see D&R/Justin Wilson getting to the top 6 in points as Justin set as an attainable target?

Scotty G.
3rd February 2010, 03:20
Rumors, rumors, rumors...

-John Andretti has Window World sponsorship again for his Indy 500 ride. With the Larry Curry connection, I'd look for John to likely wind up with D&R again (not sure if Petty will be involved again or not).

-Look for D&R to possibly run 4 cars again at Indy, with Wilson in the #22, maybe Duno in the #23, Conway in the #24 and Andretti in the #43. Duno is no sure thing though, especially after her comments about D&R recently. If they need the check though, they'd still probably take her. They'd prefer just the 3 cars, with the 3 actual race drivers. 4 cars spread them too thin last year.

-Luzco-Dragon was going to run the #22 for their part-time 2nd car, but must have lost it when D&R decided to go full-time with Wilson and the #22.

-I still think Davey Hamilton and HP are likely to land at Luzco-Dragon (possibly in connection with Kingdom Racing). Likely using #32. 3 race deal, if it gets signed. Teammate to Matos. Hope this happens. Davey deserves to go out (if this is his final hurrah in Indy Car Racing) in a solid ride.

-If Andretti Autosport decides to run a 5th car at Indy, it could be for Robby Gordon.

-Could Anthony Foyt run a Lucas Oil sponsored car (thanks to his Indianapolis Colts, uhh, connections ;) ) in Grandpa's 2nd car at Indy?

-Vision will likely be back for at least Indy. If Menards doesn't sponsor Gordon, they will be with Carpenter. TG and Menard still have a good relationship and both still have a huge passion for the Indy 500. Its the rest of the series both don't have much interest in anymore.

TURN3
3rd February 2010, 03:48
I don't see Robby at AA given the sponsorship conflicts. Who knows but AGR doesn't seem like a good fit for his package on the surface. Frankly, the more talented drivers AA field the worse they make their bank machine Princess DP look.

MDS
3rd February 2010, 19:05
Dale Coyne confirms he's waiting on Rahal to make up his mind before naming a driver.

“Obviously Graham Rahal would be our first candidate, for both his speed and the image we'd want to portray for the No. 19 car,” said Coyne of the American ace who, currently, has no ride for 2010. “Graham's a proven winner who matured a lot as team leader at Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing last year.”
“If I were to put a second name out there, I'd say J.R. Hildebrand,” Coyne continued. “He's Indy Lights champ, and I know he'd shine in the big cars. If [Atlantic Series champion] John Edwards or [runner-up] Jonathan Summerton had Indy Lights – particularly, oval – experience, I'd add them to the list.”
http://www.racer.com/dale-coyne-not-bitter-about-wilsonz-line-exit/article/162946/

Also, DCR is still looking at being a two car team in 2010, per their own press release

The team is in the final stages of finalizing their driver line up for its two car entry in 2010. Testing is scheduled for later in February in preparation for the first race of the year in Sao Paulo, Brazil in mid March.

http://www.dalecoyneracing.com/release020210.html

TURN3
3rd February 2010, 19:12
Graham is probably the brightest up and coming star in the entire league, proven speed and an image that sponsors can salavate over, and even a last name known around the globe....and even he is in this boat now. All I can say is WOW! It truly is sad to have people like Danica, Hideki, etc. with high end rides and the single greatest hope for a winning American is out. I realize there are scores of others left on the sidelines too but man this just puts an exclamation point on the sad state.

Chamoo
3rd February 2010, 21:23
Graham is probably the brightest up and coming star in the entire league, proven speed and an image that sponsors can salavate over, and even a last name known around the globe....and even he is in this boat now. All I can say is WOW! It truly is sad to have people like Danica, Hideki, etc. with high end rides and the single greatest hope for a winning American is out. I realize there are scores of others left on the sidelines too but man this just puts an exclamation point on the sad state.

Graham isn't in this boat, he is simply holding out waiting for the best ride possible. He has a seat at DCR if he wants it, but he is waiting for Ganassi to figure out if they can put a deal together or any other team for that matter.

DCR isn't that much of a step downward.

Scotty G.
3rd February 2010, 22:14
Dale Coyne confirms he's waiting on Rahal to make up his mind before naming a driver.

http://www.racer.com/dale-coyne-not-bitter-about-wilsonz-line-exit/article/162946/

Summerton does have oval experience, in Indy Lights.

Not that I'd pick him, but that is a fact.

SUBARUTEAM
4th February 2010, 03:46
rahal to Chip's team would be great for the series!!!!

jackmart
4th February 2010, 05:37
so y can't graham get sponsorship, that's whats holding him back right?

i'd love to see him at tcg or penske!! :)

Lousada
4th February 2010, 13:53
I've read some rumours that Marlboro is out of the IRL? If so, that is great news for the series. Now they can finally market to young people, and use all the star drivers. Race promotors would find it less amusing probably.

MDS
4th February 2010, 14:44
Yeah, I've heard different variations on the rumor that Marlboro is gone. I'm hoping to get some answers to that when I go out to Barber for testing this month.

SarahFan
4th February 2010, 15:20
I've read some rumours that Marlboro is out of the IRL? If so, that is great news for the series. Now they can finally market to young people, and use all the star drivers. Race promotors would find it less amusing probably.

what has stopped the IRL from marketing to kids since 2006?

Scotty G.
4th February 2010, 22:23
what has stopped the IRL from marketing to kids since 2006?

Tony George. Everybody knows he hates kids. :p

If Marlboro "leaves" (would likely be more a rebranding with Philip Morris then a actual sponsor "loss") then a whole lot of freebie tickets will go by the wayside too. Especially at a place like St. Pete.

Could be a big hit on crowd-size at some places.

Scotty G.
5th February 2010, 22:34
Robby Gordon looks "very likely" to race at Indy this year. Larry MacReynolds mentioned this today at Daytona.

Most likely landing spot is Andretti, running their 5th car.

Would team up Robby with his brother-in-law, Ryan Hunter-Reay, at AA.

Phoenixent
6th February 2010, 00:55
Robby Gordon looks "very likely" to race at Indy this year. Larry MacReynolds mentioned this today at Daytona.

Most likely landing spot is Andretti, running their 5th car.

What sponsors would Robby have on his Indy 500 car? His personal sponsor is a direct conflict with AA driver Marco Andretti's sponsor Venom Energy Drink.

MDS
6th February 2010, 01:38
What sponsors would Robby have on his Indy 500 car? His personal sponsor is a direct conflict with AA driver Marco Andretti's sponsor Venom Energy Drink.

Don't assume there is a conflict between Venom and Monster. We don't know the particular's of Venom's contract. They may or may not have a no-compete clause, or a right of refusal on other contracts. We don't know, and you can't assume the negotiated for that, or that AA was willing to give that up. With four cars to feed....

MDS
6th February 2010, 05:14
Also, just got a FB email from a pissed off soon to be former employee. KV to be a two-car team with a Brazilian raising star and a Japanese driver with F-1 experience, both of whom are bringing money. Lots of anger from a team who thought they had a done deal. Good for KK and JV though; Ride Buyer poaching take two for KVRT.

Chamoo
6th February 2010, 05:39

I believe that RHR is actually Robby Gordon's son-in-law. Not to nit-pick or anything, just figured it was worth pointing out.

Don't assume there is a conflict between Venom and Monster. We don't know the particular's of Venom's contract. They may or may not have a no-compete clause, or a right of refusal on other contracts. We don't know, and you can't assume the negotiated for that, or that AA was willing to give that up. With four cars to feed....

MDS brings up a good point. Although I may not be completely sober at the moment (I'm getting close), I do remember Robin Miller and someone else of knowledge on these forums saying there wasn't much money behind the Marco Andretti - Venom Engery Drink - Andretti Autosport deal. If that is the case, Venom does not have much choice but to accept the fact that Robby is bringing Monster aboard.

[quote="MDS"]Also, just got a FB email from a pissed off soon to be former employee. KV to be a two-car team with a Brazilian raising star and a Japanese driver with F-1 experience, both of whom are bringing money. Lots of anger from a team who thought they had a done deal. Good for KK and JV though]

See! The sky is not falling!

From MDS' post, I'm not sure if we should assume that KVRT will be campaigning Mario Moraes as the Brazilian rising star or if they have found another young buck with cash to spare.

Also, looking through the list of recently active F1 drivers that could be coming to Indycars, it leads me to believe that Takuma Sato will be piloting a KVRT entry in the 2010 Izod Indycar Series (but does he have enough oval experience?! ;) )

garyshell
6th February 2010, 06:14
I believe that RHR is actually Robby Gordon's son-in-law. Not to nit-pick or anything, just figured it was worth pointing out.

Huh? RHR is married to Robby's sister.

Gary

Chamoo
6th February 2010, 07:44

Gary

Notice how I said I wasn't sober? You're absolutely right.

My apologies everyone, especially Scotty G.

garyshell
6th February 2010, 18:24

You're absolutely right.

Whew! I was afraid you had some Oedipus Rex story to tell us about Robby. Ewwww!

Gary

MDS
6th February 2010, 21:03
Chamoo,

While I agree that the sky is not falling, this may not be the best news ever. I've had some time to talk and apparently Honda is putting their money behind Sato and taking it away from Hedeki, after making motions that it going to take its funds to NHL. Maybe that will still happen. Maybe Panasonic and Formula Dream will show up on the side of Sato's or Hedeki's car, or maybe not and Hedeki gets dropped.

In blackjack terms Sato to KVRT amounts to a push. The money was already out there, it was going to go somewhere just a matter of with whom and where. The good news is that KVRT might have landed a sponsor for Mario, but that remains to be seen. I think there is supposed to be an announcement on Tuesday?

SarahFan
6th February 2010, 21:28
If KV has an actual paying sponsor why in the world would hire moreas instead of tracy?

Chamoo
6th February 2010, 21:59
If KV has an actual paying sponsor why in the world would hire moreas instead of tracy?

Brazilian sponsor most likely wants a Brazilian driver.

TURN3
6th February 2010, 22:18

Absolutely but I read it different, as in KV may be announcing a 2 car team with a paying sponsor...that paying sponsor might be covering both cars. Nothing official or anything so who knows but if that were the case you'd think Moreas (upcoming Brazilian star) and Tracy if I where choosing in the KV camp. Doesn't sound like Tracy would be the guy here...who knows at this point.

MDS
6th February 2010, 22:52

I would assume that, there could be any number of reasons why a sponsor would like Moreas over Paul Tracy, the least of which being Paul already has a deal with Gieco for the 500.

Scotty G.
7th February 2010, 00:32

KV, like most teams, don't have any real sponsors. Moraes has paid his way his entire career and will continue to do, if he wants to keep racing. It came down to which ride-buyer (Moraes or Viso) came up with the most coin. Moraes evidently has more then Viso. That is all that matters.

If Formula Dream leaves Mutoh, I think this will be the end of Newman/Haas/Lanigan. They certainly don't have real sponsorship and the whole situation sounds like a mess.

And if Formula Dream/Japanese bucks go with Sato to KV, I wonder why they just didn't take it to Gil's team? Ohh, I bet I can guess why....KV was asking for fewer $$$$ then deFerren. KV wins.

Chamoo
7th February 2010, 03:59
I would assume that, there could be any number of reasons why a sponsor would like Moreas over Paul Tracy, the least of which being Paul already has a deal with Gieco for the 500.

I would think that PT would have an out clause with Geico he could invoke if he finds a full time sponsor.

MDS
7th February 2010, 04:47
KV, like most teams, don't have any real sponsors. Moraes has paid his way his entire career and will continue to do, if he wants to keep racing. It came down to which ride-buyer (Moraes or Viso) came up with the most coin. Moraes evidently has more then Viso. That is all that matters.

I wouldn't assume that. Yes Moraes has paid his way through the ladder, as most drivers do, and his first two years in the IRL, but I don't think any team was working harder to find sponsorship, and they were working with Moraes the entire off season, and its rumored his money stopped with his father's death. It's not out of the possibility to think that they found a real sponsor that wanted to back him, maybe APEX, or Azul/1800, or someone else. I'm sure some of it were vaporware, but KK has always had decent sponsors on his car, Pay By Touch, Red Bull, Nextel, Team Australia.

If Formula Dream leaves Mutoh, I think this will be the end of Newman/Haas/Lanigan. They certainly don't have real sponsorship and the whole situation sounds like a mess.

Yeah, its a mess, there's no getting around that, but and this is somewhat important. Apparently while I was at the Thrashers game tonight Alex Lloyd tweeted something and then took it down. Based on the rumors around him and some of the comments he's made online recently it looks like his deal has grenaded in the last two weeks.

There's a lot rumored to be going on with NHL and some of it is good though. One scenario I heard was the new name would be Newman Haass Wachs Racing, and Jonathan Edwards would be the sole driver. Just a rumor though.

EagleEye
7th February 2010, 17:24
12-Will Power Verizon

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon Target
TBD- Graham Rahal TBD

Andretti Autosport
11- Tony Kannan 7-11

Newman Hass ? Racing
02- TBD
06- TBD

There is a lot of turmoil at NHL, not sure of anything.

KVRT
5-Ride buyer, race-race.
8- Ride Buyer, race-race

Dunno looking at running some races with this ride selling joke of a team...
Moraes on the outs unless he brings a check...another Brazilian has the line for race one.

Dale Coye Racing
18- TBD TBD

JR, Hinch, Edwards, and still looking at Rahal if the Ganssi things does not happen.

FAZZT Racing
77-Alex Tagalini

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos

Panther racing
TBD-TBD

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria ABC

HVM
33-Robert Doornbos Daddy Doornbos (will money come for all races?)
78?-Simona de Silvestra (Brazil and a handful of races, depending on funding)

22-Justin Wilson Z-Line
24-Mike Conway Dads, among others

Sarah Fisher Racing

Indy One offs - too early

Depending on how team owner meetings go with the new CEO in the next few weeks there could be a boycott/strike/work stoppage prior to the first race, unless several team owner concersn are met. The series is starting to revert back to the old USAC/CART battles of 1978/79. I am not writing that it will happen, but there are some strong feelings in the paddock about some things going on, and hopefully the IRL will make some of the changes that are being discussed.

SarahFan
7th February 2010, 17:53
EE.......is RHR a go for brasil?

Wilf
7th February 2010, 20:43
Depending on how team owner meetings go with the new CEO in the next few weeks there could be a boycott/strike/work stoppage prior to the first race, unless several team owner concersn are met. The series is starting to revert back to the old USAC/CART battles of 1978/79. I am not writing that it will happen, but there are some strong feelings in the paddock about some things going on, and hopefully the IRL will make some of the changes that are being discussed.

What in the world are several team owners concerns which could be changed by a simple meeting with the new CEO? I have yet to see him carrying a magic wand.

Scotty G.
7th February 2010, 21:50
What in the world are several team owners concerns which could be changed by a simple meeting with the new CEO? I have yet to see him carrying a magic wand.

Why should anyone be surprised if this happens?

Most of these Indy Car owners, are the same snakes and losers, that helped sink the sport.

Now that they have Bucky Bronco running the show, it will be time to see if they can "influence" the racing virgin to get (surprise) what is in the best interest of THEMSELVES. Its time to pounce on the new guy.

It wasn't going to work, with TG in charge. Plus TG "helped" several of them since their transition. That "help" is now gone.

Hopefully, there are still a few people in power positions in the league, that know what's up and notify Bernard to tell some of these chronic whiners and self-serving dipweeds, to stuff it. ;)