PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Silly Season Chart

Pages : 1 [2]

Lousada
7th February 2010, 21:52
What in the world are several team owners concerns which could be changed by a simple meeting with the new CEO? I have yet to see him carrying a magic wand.

Well, this would be quite a test for the new CEO. If he bulges too much he will lose all authority and if he resists too much they might riot. It will also expose how independent he is from the IMS board.

Lousada
7th February 2010, 21:55
Why should anyone be surprised if this happens?

Most of these Indy Car owners, are the same snakes and losers, that helped sink the sport.

Now that they have Bucky Bronco running the show, it will be time to see if they can "influence" the racing virgin to get (surprise) what is in the best interest of THEMSELVES. Its time to pounce on the new guy.

It wasn't going to work, with TG in charge. Plus TG "helped" several of them since their transition. That "help" is now gone.

Hopefully, there are still a few people in power positions in the league, that know what's up and notify Bernard to tell some of these chronic whiners and self-serving dipweeds, to stuff it. ;)

Who do you propose to replace these "chronic whiners and self-serving dipweeds"?? Because if they refuse to race, the IRL is basicly toast.

Scotty G.
7th February 2010, 21:55
Dunno looking at running some races with this ride selling joke of a team...
Moraes on the outs unless he brings a check...another Brazilian has the line for race one.

Sounds like Kalkhoven should probably join his skiing buddy TG, and take a hike.

Some nobody named Merlo (tasty, too!) is the Brazilian guy you speak of for KV's one-off Brazilian ride-buy.

Milka Duna (as NASCAR called her yesterday) should concentrate on tearing it up in ARCA and give up playing Indy Car driver. And any Indy Car owner worth his salt, should NEVER take a dime from her. But we all know, nobody puts their hands out and takes money, like a Indy Car owner. :D

Scotty G.
7th February 2010, 21:58
Who do you propose to replace these "chronic whiners and self-serving dipweeds"?? Because if they refuse to race, the IRL is basicly toast.

Then dare em' to quit. I am sure the public would side with them. :p

If they want to start their own series, go right ahead.

See how many folks follow them and how many sponsors stay with them, without the Indy 500.

Maybe the IRL as its currently constructed needs to be "toast" anyway. ;)

Lousada
7th February 2010, 21:59
Sounds like Kalkhoven should probably join his skiing buddy TG, and take a hike.

Some nobody named Merlo (tasty, too!) is the Brazilian guy you speak of for KV's one-off Brazilian ride-buy.

Milka Duna (as NASCAR called her yesterday) should concentrate on ing it up in ARCA and give up playing Indy Car driver. And any Indy Car owner worth his salt, should NEVER take a dime from her. But we all know, nobody puts their hands out and takes money, like a Indy Car owner. :D

If the choice is between Duno-bucks and laying off your whole staff, anyone with a slightly human feeling would pick the first option. It's up to the league to maintain a decent driving standard. The teamowners just pick the best they can find to keep the shop running.

Lousada
7th February 2010, 22:02
Then dare em' to quit. I am sure the public would side with them. :p

If they want to start their own series, go right ahead.

See how many folks follow them and how many sponsors stay with them, without the Indy 500.

Maybe the IRL as its currently constructed needs to be "toast" anyway. ;)

Again I ask, what will the 2010 Indy500 be without them? Whose going to fill the 33 spots? The IMS board has to bulge if they want a race.

Scotty G.
7th February 2010, 22:02
The teamowners just pick the best they can find to keep the shop running.

Just "getting by" is what far too many so called "professional" Indy Car and Indy Lights teams have done, for FAR too long.

Maybe that's why, the sport hasn't grown and many of these teams never go any farther then having to take checks from whoever has money in the bank to give them.

If it comes down to shutting down or taking Milka Duno's check, I'd shut it down. You aren't a real race team anyway. ;)

Lousada
7th February 2010, 22:07
Just "getting by" is what far too many so called "professional" Indy Car and Indy Lights teams have done, for FAR too long.

Maybe that's why, the sport hasn't grown and many of these teams never go any farther then having to take checks from whoever has money in the bank to give them.

If it comes down to shutting down or taking Milka Duno's check, I'd shut it down. You aren't a real race team anyway. ;)

Yes you are right in a way, but that's the reality nowadays. No ordinary sponsor will be in the IRL unless it's with Penske/Ganassi/Andretti because it has no value otherwise. Still, servicing Milka Duno's car is a nicer job than most of us have ;)

Scotty G.
7th February 2010, 22:08
The IMS board has to bulge if they want a race.

Why? You really think Target or Izod or the National Guard or Go-Daddy or Firestone or Honda, would really let this happen? Hell no.

These teams would be in litigation and would all be out of business tomorrow, if they bailed now on the Indy 500. Let em' whine and threaten all they want. They ain't running the series (even if they think they are).

Plus, these team owners need the Indy 500 a heck of a lot more then the Indy 500 needs these team owners. I thought they learned that already. ;)

Lousada
7th February 2010, 22:19
Plus, these team owners need the Indy 500 a heck of a lot more then the Indy 500 needs these team owners. I thought they learned that already. ;)

I hope everyone learned they need eachother. If there will be an actual strike, even if it's just for the first race, the IRL will be toast. I don't know what would be the gain of that.

garyshell
8th February 2010, 03:32

Yes we all know 33 is just a number, and so is zero. Do you really think Indy doesn't need the owners? Ridiculous.

Gary

Scotty G.
8th February 2010, 15:26
Do you really think Indy doesn't need the owners? Ridiculous.

Gary

Yes.

Owners come and go. Many of the owners would never leave the Indy 500 anyway.

Call their bluff. They aren't going anywhere. They have nowhere to go.

Chris R
8th February 2010, 15:29
I believe TG called their bluff in 1996 - see what it got us... Indy is important and so are team owners.... Again, I agree with assigning a higher value to Indy but you are waaayyy undervaluing the rest of the pieces of the puzzle....

It would be pretty difficult to argue that Indy had the same luster in 1996-2000 as it did after Penske and Ganassi came back or from 1980-1995. Granted, those are just team owners - but they are QUALITY outfits and those are hard to find these days... I the past, it was much easier to run a top notch team on more modest budget - but not today....

Chris R
8th February 2010, 15:32
Why? You really think Target or Izod or the National Guard or Go-Daddy or Firestone or Honda, would really let this happen? Hell no.

These teams would be in litigation and would all be out of business tomorrow, if they bailed now on the Indy 500. Let em' whine and threaten all they want. They ain't running the series (even if they think they are).

Those sponsors let them bail before - I don't think they put much value on any of the series - even the 500 - it is just a small advertising expense for most.....

8th February 2010, 16:34
Hi,

Nice post.......

8th February 2010, 16:36
Hi,

Nice post......

Regards,
Khushbu Malik
Dodge Steering (http://www.carsteering.com/dodge_steering.htm)

8th February 2010, 16:37
Hi,

Nice post........

Dodge Steering (http://www.carsteering.com/dodge_steering.htm)

Scotty G.
8th February 2010, 17:32
Those sponsors let them bail before - I don't think they put much value on any of the series - even the 500

Which is why they won't let them bail again. ;)

You are correct, they don't put much value on the series. Its because the series as a whole has so little value.

But the value that it does have, is what happens each year in the month of May. That's it.

Take it away, and the sponsors would not stay around and the sport now, would be gone in 5 minutes.

MDS
9th February 2010, 03:19
Simona twittered that she did her oval test today.

Also she appears to have support from both Stargate Resistance and Swiss watch maker BRM.

MDS
9th February 2010, 15:35
Team Penske picks up another associate sponsors, Snap On Tools

http://motorage.search-autoparts.com/motorage/Industry+News/Snap-on-to-Sponsor-Sprint-Cup-Nationwide-IRL-NHRA-/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/655881?contextCategoryId=43145

EagleEye
9th February 2010, 17:19
Yes.

Owners come and go. Many of the owners would never leave the Indy 500 anyway.

Call their bluff. They aren't going anywhere. They have nowhere to go.

The owners do have other places to go. Remember 1979? They created their own series, and still raced in the 500....so they do have options.

Like it or not, things have come full circle and we are faced with many of the same issues that resulted in the creation of CART. The irony is now TG is siding with the owners, and there are some interesting things going on behind the scenes. I think the IRL will blink first this time around, and I am hoping that certain requested changes are made.

There has been change on many levels with the Speedway and IRL, and there are a few more that the ownership would like to see. Read some of the latest articles, and it is pretty easy to see where the lines are being drawn and what the latest beef is all about.

MDS
9th February 2010, 18:40
Hey EE,

Have you heard anything about the rumors that Graham is looking at racing for his dad with sponsorship from Gainsco and Alex Gurney running Kansas and Indy?

Chamoo
10th February 2010, 00:47
So AR1.com says Moraes and Sato to KVRT for 2010 with Nelson Merlo for the first race of the season.

They said Moraes has gotten everything sorted out for 2010 just as MDS said earlier.

Norris McDonald up in Canada is reporting that a current Nascar star will be running an Indycar race this season that isn't Indy.

I'm thinking it will probably be a Penske driver (Kurt Busch, Sam Hornish Jr., or Brad Keselowski, but probably one of the first two).

Scotty G.
10th February 2010, 14:42
Read some of the latest articles, and it is pretty easy to see where the lines are being drawn and what the latest beef is all about.

Yes, the same beef its ALWAYS been about....CONTROL of the sport and their own self-interests FIRST. From Pruett's latest...

"The paddock wants a seat at the table – just like the F1 entrants did which resulted in the Concorde Agreement, and as the USAC entrants did which spawned Gurney’s White Paper."

The thing is, the owners aren't running the series anymore. The owners don't run NASCAR. The owners don't run NHRA. The owners don't run most successful series.

The owners ran CART and Champ Car.....right into the ground and into bankruptcy.

I don't blame the league for running things the way they see them and what would be best for ALL parties (as they see it). Whether they make the right decisions or not, remains to be seen.

And if the owners throw a fit and want to go somewhere else, let em' go. There are only a few owners around with any money or are actual professional racing teams anyway (and none would have any without the Indy 500).

The fans are tired of the whining and the complaining and the politics of the sport. The owners need to realize that. Soon. ;)

EagleEye
10th February 2010, 18:53
Hey EE,

Have you heard anything about the rumors that Graham is looking at racing for his dad with sponsorship from Gainsco and Alex Gurney running Kansas and Indy?

Graham is working hard to make the TCGR thing happen, and the Chipster is doing all he can on his end. Papa Rahal might provide a chassis to TCGR, along with equipment, maybe support....looks like it could happen.

I have yet to hear anything about the Gurney deal, though I know Justin Gurney quite well, and might shoot him an email...not sure why papa Rahal would offer his equipment to Alex, unless Graham was all set.

All I know is what I have read on AR1...

Big Gurney fan here, so if this happens, it would be great!

EagleEye
10th February 2010, 18:58
Yes, the same beef its ALWAYS been about....CONTROL of the sport and their own self-interests FIRST. From Pruett's latest...

The thing is, the owners aren't running the series anymore. The owners don't run NASCAR. The owners don't run NHRA. The owners don't run most successful series.

The owners ran CART and Champ Car.....right into the ground and into bankruptcy.

I don't blame the league for running things the way they see them and what would be best for ALL parties (as they see it). Whether they make the right decisions or not, remains to be seen.

And if the owners throw a fit and want to go somewhere else, let em' go. There are only a few owners around with any money or are actual professional racing teams anyway (and none would have any without the Indy 500).

The fans are tired of the whining and the complaining and the politics of the sport. The owners need to realize that. Soon. ;)

Things went quite well for CART from 79-1995...when the owners ran the series, and IMS operated the 500. In fact, it was the healthiest the series and open wheel racing had ever been.

The split in 1996 tipped the balance, and while CART went belly up, so did those in the IRL (TG, anyone?).

It might be good to have one side operate the series, and another operate the 500....note I said "might". Maybe shared control is the answer.

Scotty G.
12th February 2010, 15:29
Judging by Keith Wiggins comments on Trackside this week, I wouldn't pencil Bob Doornbos in yet with HVM in the Indy Ridebuyer League.

Sounds like Daddy Doornbos's checkbook hasn't opened far enough to suit Keith.

Its the middle of February and Wiggins sounds like he has no idea what he is going to do for 2010. Sad. :(

Lousada
12th February 2010, 23:21
Judging by Keith Wiggins comments on Trackside this week, I wouldn't pencil Bob Doornbos in yet with HVM in the Indy Ridebuyer League.

Sounds like Daddy Doornbos's checkbook hasn't opened far enough to suit Keith.

Its the middle of February and Wiggins sounds like he has no idea what he is going to do for 2010. Sad. :(

That's because some genius at the IRL sold the Dutch TV-rights to a pay-tv channel. So last year the public tv-broadcaster had to buy the individual races back. (Which was financed by the Doornbos entourage). Because of Doornbos' less than impressing results and the failure to attract big sponsors, nobody is jumping to broadcast the IRL next year.

DanicaFan
15th February 2010, 08:47
EJ Viso is testing for KV Racing Technology today (Monday) at Sebring.

MDS
15th February 2010, 17:38
JR Hildebrand is also testing at Sebring today per his twitter, "Cold, early morning today, but I don't care. Why? Bc I'm drivin an IndyCar today! Here in Sebring with DCR, can't wait."

From my understanding he's close to a deal with Dale Coyne, but Coyne is waiting to see what Graham Rahal does before going forward.

MDS
15th February 2010, 18:06
I've heard from a couple sources that Luczo Dragon Racing is going to have an announcement soon, which probably means this week or next week at Barber.

According to an interview Rafa Matos gave a Brazilian website he's back with LDR, the Marines are gone, but HP has stepped up in their place, with more funding according to him. He also said they'll have a second car for five races, and since the sponsor is HP we can only assume that Davey Hamilton will be in a second HP car at Indy, Texas and three other ovals.

One of my Brazilian friends tipped me off about the interview and told me what Rafa said, and a rough translation is available here :
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diariomotorsport.com.br%2F2 010%2F02%2Findy-rafa-matos-revela-o-novo-patrocinador-da-luczo-dragon-racing%2F&lp=pt_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

SUBARUTEAM
15th February 2010, 21:02
Graham Rahal seamed to be happy to speak up and tow the company line with dixon and dario at the delta wing announcement - I wonder if he travelled in Chips plane to the announcement and is close to a deal? (i have no evidence of this, just a gut feeling). I really hope this is the case and we have 3 cars from Chip and Roger, and 4 cars from Michael.

Scotty G.
15th February 2010, 22:00
Graham Rahal seamed to be happy to speak up and tow the company line with dixon and dario at the delta wing announcement - I wonder if he travelled in Chips plane to the announcement and is close to a deal? (i have no evidence of this, just a gut feeling). I really hope this is the case and we have 3 cars from Chip and Roger, and 4 cars from Michael.

I have a feeling you will end up seeing Mr. Rahal "farmed out" to Rahal/Letterman Racing this year, in a "psuedo Ganassi 3rd car".

He will be under contract to Ganassi and it will be a TCGR chassis, but Rahal's team will run him and share info/setups with Chipper's boys and crew. Chip doesn't have the cash to run him full-time, but with help from RLR and, uhh, Indy Car, the deal gets done.

Similar to the deal TCGR did with RLR in 2008, to run Alex Lloyd at Indy.

And I think we could also see Alex Gurney in a Indy ride with RLR too, with sponsorship from GAINSCO.

jackmart
16th February 2010, 04:07
seems there ins't money to run graham.

I'm curious since the TCG cars seem to mostly be target, does that mean they don't have a lot of other sponsors?

Here is a quote from an article,

"Chip Ganassi said he would like to field a car for Graham Rahal, who remains unsigned for 2010 but lacks the funding. "I'm not Houdini," Ganassi said. Rahal said all his sponsorship possibilities are for 2011. . "

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100212/SPORTS0107/2120324/1052/SPORTS01/IRL-Chassis-diversity-isn-t-cost-effective

Interesting that he can get sponsors for next year and not this one. I'm gonna be so sad if he ends up without a ride.

TURN3
16th February 2010, 16:33
So AR1.com says Moraes and Sato to KVRT for 2010 with Nelson Merlo for the first race of the season.

They said Moraes has gotten everything sorted out for 2010 just as MDS said earlier.

Ugghh...Jeemy says he's on his way to Tokoyo so the Sato part of this rumor could be why. I hate that is the case, another driver nobody cares about in a halfway decent ride.

MDS
16th February 2010, 17:43
Here's another wild card being thrown on the table: James Rossiter

He's been to Indy where he had a seat made and then traveled to Sebring to watch, but not participate in the testing down with KVRT. Apparently he's going to be at the Barber test with KV, where they could have five drivers going in and out of the cars.

Rossiter has done a lot of development work for Honda, and he was trying to buy a seat at USF1, but apparently that has fallen through, so he's looking at taking what money he does have to KVRT.

Early in the off season I heard that KV wanted to have three FT teams this year and not its looking like they might pull it off with a limited deal for PT.

Also, don't read too much into Viso testing with KVRT, he may have just paid for the seat time, but could also be in contention for the ride. My initial source that said Sato and Moraes works for a team, but not KV.

Chamoo
16th February 2010, 17:49
Also, don't read too much into Viso testing with KVRT, he may have just paid for the seat time, but could also be in contention for the ride. My initial source that said Sato and Moraes works for a team, but not KV.

Care to clarify that statement? I'm confused when you say Sato and Moraes works for a team, but not KV.

Are you trying to say Sato and Moraes are signed elsewhere?

Also, Viso had PDVSA on the sidepods of his KVRT Dallara at Sebring. Of course, those decals are easy to put on and remove. Viso will end up somewhere as he had backing.

There are only so many teams I could see him going. I wonder if LDR became an option now that de Ferran is part of the team?

MDS
16th February 2010, 18:42
Care to clarify that statement? I'm confused when you say Sato and Moraes works for a team, but not KV.

The guy who told me Sato and Moraes was going to KVRT didn't work for KVRT and may have been speaking out of turn about Moraes, but seems to have been accurate about Sato. What I meant to say is the guy who told me worked for a team, but not KVRT

Apparently Sato broke the news is a non-English news site and that's how people found out about it, so it wasn't like he was trading insider information.

Chamoo
17th February 2010, 03:10
Hinchcliffe will be announcing his 2010 plans on Thursday. Apparently news might leak out early due to an early press release.

Here's hoping he'll be driving IICS and finally move up from the second tier.

Scotty G.
17th February 2010, 05:17
Hinchcliffe will be announcing his 2010 plans on Thursday. Apparently news might leak out early due to an early press release.

Here's hoping he'll be driving IICS and finally move up from the second tier.

I have heard he would likely be heading back to Indy Lights full-time.

He really didn't have a very good year in Lights last year, so maybe he could use another year there. He is the only driver to ever run the #7 Lights car (the #1 SSM entry) to not win a race in a year.

Hopefully "Hinch-town" comes back to sponsor him. :p :

Scotty G.
17th February 2010, 05:24
I wonder if LDR became an option now that de Ferran is part of the team?

Nope.

Matos and Hamilton will be Luzco's drivers in 2010. Matos fulltime and Hamilton for selected ovals. I believe this deal has been done or close to done for weeks. Matos will be helped greatly by having a veteran teammate with as much oval experience as Davey has (especially at Indy).

HP and Macafee apparently have stepped up the $$$ for this group, and should provide one of the better funded "Non Big 3" teams in the league. Penske and Luzco have spent a lot of their own money (and they both have PLENTY of it to spend), so hopefully this helps them. I don't think the Marines/Air Force deal was all the lucrative and they will likely slide back to secondary status (which is all they were giving anyway).

Matos had a "so-so" rookie year, so its time he step up and show he belongs. He is approaching 30, so its time to for him to step up his game.

MDS
17th February 2010, 19:04
There should be an announcement in Tokyo today announcing Takuma Sato has signed with KV racing. Since the time difference is 13 hours don't expect anything before 5 p.m.

Scotty G.
17th February 2010, 23:09
Hinchcliffe will run for Team Moore in Indy Lights this year.

Junior Strous somehow got himself fired before he ever ran a lap for them and Hinch is taking the seat. Probably a "off track" issue for Mr. Strous. ;)

I have a bad feeling, that we will find out by Friday that Newman/Haas/Lanigan is no more. I think the Formula Dream/Honda money being poached by KV for Sato, was the last nail in the NHL coffin. As soon as Sato is officially announced, I'd look for the bad news to come from NHL. deFerren announcing he was joining LD this week, was no coincidence either. He was still in the running for the FD yen, until recently.

This is another team, that has been hurt by Tony George not running the league anymore. TG's $$$ helped NHL big time, in the past few years.

Hopefully Newman/Haas can reorganize (I am sure there have been talks with Eddie Wachs to get involved) but they may be looking at "Indy only" (at best) for this season.

Chamoo
18th February 2010, 04:19
There should be an announcement in Tokyo today announcing Takuma Sato has signed with KV racing. Since the time difference is 13 hours don't expect anything before 5 p.m.

It was just confirmed on the Indycar.com website.

MDS
18th February 2010, 04:58
Yep, here's the KV press release.

http://kvracingtechnology.homestead.com/

EagleEye
18th February 2010, 16:23

RARKVRT Racing would be more appropriate.

Rent A Ride KVRT. The guy has millions, yet offers a rent a ride program. I know, a sign of the times, but he has enough to put a real talent (Rahal, Servia, Gurney, Long, Edwards, Tracy, etc.) in the car.

SarahFan
18th February 2010, 17:08
EE

whats the status of NHL

garyshell
18th February 2010, 17:12
RARKVRT Racing would be more appropriate.

Rent A Ride KVRT. The guy has millions, yet offers a rent a ride program. I know, a sign of the times, but he has enough to put a real talent (Rahal, Servia, Gurney, Long, Edwards, Tracy, etc.) in the car.

Pretty quick to spend someone else's money aren't you?

Gary

Lousada
18th February 2010, 17:59
Does somebody know who will sponsor Sato? It is basic marketing 101 to mention the moneygivers in the press release. Even if it's Honda/Formula Dream, they could at least mention it....

MDS
18th February 2010, 21:08
EE

whats the status of NHL

Last I heard they let 10 people go and were looking at being a one car team for Hedeki Mutouh.

EE,

Rich people don't get rich by spending their money, they get rich by getting you to to spend yours.

EagleEye
18th February 2010, 21:33
Last I heard they let 10 people go and were looking at being a one car team for Hedeki Mutouh.

EE,

Rich people don't get rich by spending their money, they get rich by getting you to to spend yours.

That was the basis of Dede Rodger's DSTP Racing: Don't Spend The Principle!

Dede was a great car owner and person. She supported many causes, and was known from sneaking up on you and smacking you on the bum. I wish she had been able to grow the team...

Tough days for NHL, or whatever the name will be...as is with others right now. Probabaly one car, with another for the 500 (Servia).

There are a lot of good people on the street right now.

Scotty G.
18th February 2010, 21:48
Pretty quick to spend someone else's money aren't you?

Gary

Or maybe these owners need to get off their asses and actually find a sponsor for once. ;)

Scotty G.
18th February 2010, 21:49
Does somebody know who will sponsor Sato?

Formula Honda. ;)

TURN3
22nd February 2010, 02:01
Waiting on PT to be on WindTunnel in a few minutes. I see on the Speed Channel ticker where under IRL news it says KV "hires" F1 vet Sato...

I suppose it is nice of them to use terms like that for him and most others. Better than KV "rents" ride to....etc.

Scotty G.
22nd February 2010, 03:18
According to a report, Mario Romancini (or is it Romeo Marioncini???) :p has bought his way into a seat with Conquest's rent-a-ride team for the season. Should be announced tomorrow.

(Sarcasm alert)...

Man, I hope the ticket takers at places like Kentucky, Chicago and Kansas are up early this week, to take all the calls for tickets for the IRL races this year. :D These are exactly the kind of drivers, who move people to buy tickets, buy merchandise and watch the races on TV. These titanic announcements of Sato, Mutoh, Rossiter and Romancini to rides have shaken up the racing world. Look out NASCAR, here we come! :D

Chamoo
22nd February 2010, 03:26
According to a report, Mario Romancini (or is it Romeo Marioncini???) :p has bought his way into a seat with Conquest's rent-a-ride team for the season. Should be announced tomorrow.

(Sarcasm alert)...

Man, I hope the ticket takers at places like Kentucky, Chicago and Kansas are up early this week, to take all the calls for tickets for the IRL races this year. :D These are exactly the kind of drivers, who move people to buy tickets, buy merchandise and watch the races on TV. These titanic announcements of Sato, Mutoh, Rossiter and Romancini to rides have shaken up the racing world. Look out NASCAR, here we come! :D

Another un-needed post.

Maybe you should step up to the plate and acknowledge the fact that this is plus 1 car to the grid. Not many people were expecting to see Conquest this year for a full season effort.

Hey, didn't Paul Tracy's father buy PT his first ride with Coyne back in the day?

Chamoo
22nd February 2010, 03:31
Oh, and Jonathan Summerton might be at Barber this week.

Scotty G.
22nd February 2010, 03:59
1. Another un-needed post.

2. Maybe you should step up to the plate and acknowledge the fact that this is plus 1 car to the grid. Not many people were expecting to see Conquest this year for a full season effort.

3. Hey, didn't Paul Tracy's father buy PT his first ride with Coyne back in the day?

1. Why? It was pretty factual. This is a message board, where folks are supposed to give some opinion on things. Or maybe you think that all of these nobody's that keep buying their way into the sport, are going to get folks motivated to watch again. I don't. Edwards might. Summerton might. Hildebrand might. Rahal might. Rice might. Mutoh? Matos? Duno?Sato? Rossiter? Romancini? Not likely.

2. Again, its great for the folks on the TEAM who will be employed by this effort. Those folks work hard and long hours, whether they have a good driver or stroker in their car. Conquest's list of drivers in the past few years has been less then overwhelming, so this guy fits right in. I wouldn't get too excited about this being a "full season" deal. We have all seen other guys who supposedly had "full season" deals with Conquest, evaporate pretty quickly. Especially, if Mr. Romancini wads a few up early in the season.

3. Sure he did. That's how most folks in the current day Indy Car world, "impress" an owner to employ them. Sometimes, it works out. Sometimes, it does not.

Tracy's credentials when he came into the sport and this guy's, aren't close, BTW. And I am far from the biggest PT fan. :p

Scotty G.
22nd February 2010, 04:03
Oh, and Jonathan Summerton might be at Barber this week.

That would be great. Better him, then some of the guys and gals we have been subjected to in the past few weeks, getting rides.

Although, I do know that Summerton didn't exactly light it up last year in Lights (especially in the couple of ovals he did) and his attitude didn't exactly endear him to many of the people within the series.

But, he's a talent and he deserves a shot in the top rung of AOW a hell of a lot more then many others.

Chamoo
22nd February 2010, 04:33
1. Why? It was pretty factual. This is a message board, where folks are supposed to give some opinion on things. Or maybe you think that all of these nobody's that keep buying their way into the sport, are going to get folks motivated to watch again. I don't. Edwards might. Summerton might. Hildebrand might. Rahal might. Rice might. Mutoh? Matos? Duno?Sato? Rossiter? Romancini? Not likely.

It's just frustrating seeing you post the same thing over and over again. I understand it's factual, but when in every thread you post multiple times that ride buyers are bad and europeans are bad, it gets old, and stops being a discussion.

I appreciate that you seem to have a passion for the sport, even though you take a hard line and piss people on this forum off, however, I think a bunch of us are tired of reading the same material over and over, simply retitled.

Lousada
22nd February 2010, 13:00
So where are we now?
3 Andretti
3 Penske
2 Ganassi
2 D&R
2 KV
1 Panther
1 Coyne
1 Foyt
1 Luczo
1 NHL
1 FAZZT
Total: 18

Still waiting for extra Coyne, HVM and Conquest. With all the parttimers there should be between 22 and 25 cars at every race.

Chamoo
22nd February 2010, 13:42
Anyone curious who Jonathan Summerton is testing for this week?

There are a bunch of drivers that are not signed that are testing this week at Barber, many of whom we do not know where they are driving this week. They have kept their testing plans secret.

Simona de Silvestro will be at Barber this week.
Jonathan Summerton is supposed to be there this week.
Ana Beatriz is supposed to be there this week.

Anyone else not really confirmed to a team, but supposed to be testing?

SarahFan
22nd February 2010, 15:01
So where are we now?
3 Andretti
3 Penske
2 Ganassi
2 D&R
2 KV
1 Panther
1 Coyne
1 Foyt
1 Luczo
1 NHL
1 FAZZT
Total: 18

Still waiting for extra Coyne, HVM and Conquest. With all the parttimers there should be between 22 and 25 cars at every race.

who are the D&R drivers?
who is the second KV?

Chamoo
22nd February 2010, 15:08
who are the D&R drivers?
who is the second KV?

D&R - Conway and Wilson
KV - Not confirmed yet, but Viso, Rossiter, and Sato should be their drivers.

vintage
22nd February 2010, 15:09
Saying you're going to be at Barber and testing are two different things. For all we know they could be going there to try to talk to the owners, or running a lights car on Friday.

Chamoo
22nd February 2010, 15:11
Saying you're going to be at Barber and testing are two different things. For all we know they could be running a lights car on Friday, or going there to try to talk to the owners..

Sorry, but the three names I've posted as being at Barber are supposed to be on track in a Dallara IC.

jwhite9185
22nd February 2010, 19:50
apparently milka duno has had a seat fitting at dale coyne racing

Scotty G.
22nd February 2010, 20:46

Truly embarrassing. :(

Anyone who employs this woman, should not be allowed to even field a race car in a professional race series.

And if this is what you need to do to lower yourself to keeping your doors open, you might as well close down and start preparing for 2011 anyway.

Chamoo
22nd February 2010, 20:53
A lot of big news coming up to the Barber test.

Saavendra to drive 5 ICS races on top of FIL series for BHA.
Jaime Camara to Conquest.
Simona de Silvestro should be testing at Barber.
Mario Romancini to Conquest.
Third car for KVRT entered for Barber, which is probably for James Rossiter.
Milka Duno to DCR's second car part-time in my opinion.
Hideki Mutoh confirmed at NHL.
E.J. Viso confirmed at KVRT.
Takuma Sato confirmed at KVRT.

Check the blog for more details.

Scotty G.
22nd February 2010, 20:54
Sounds like Jy-May Camara has bought his way into a 2nd Conquest ride for Brazil.

Why not just start all Brazilians in that race and be done with it?

Of course, when we need 10 Brazilians in the series for that race, its OK. When we think we need 10 Americans for the series for the majority of the other races, people are being "xenophobic" and are shouted down by the minions.

Pretty sad state of affairs, huh Eagle Eye? :(

Scotty G.
22nd February 2010, 21:05
A lot of big news coming up to the Barber test.

Saavendra to drive 5 ICS races on top of FIL series for BHA.
Jaime Camara to Conquest.
Simona de Silvestro should be testing at Barber.
Mario Romancini to Conquest.
Third car for KVRT entered for Barber, which is probably for James Rossiter.
Milka Duno to DCR's second car part-time in my opinion.
Hideki Mutoh confirmed at NHL.
E.J. Viso confirmed at KVRT.
Takuma Sato confirmed at KVRT.

Check the blog for more details.

All ridebuyers and no Americans. Could be the Indy Car slogan. :D

Meanwhile Atlantics Champions Newman/Wachs Racing think so much of AOW, that they are bailing on fielding either a Indy Car or Indy Lights car and are heading to sports cars.

See ya, John Edwards. Tell Buddy, Jon and the rest of the AOW bred drivers hello for us. :(

Chamoo
22nd February 2010, 21:07
All ridebuyers and no Americans. Could be the Indy Car slogan. :D

Meanwhile Atlantics Champions Newman/Wachs Racing think so much of AOW, that they are bailing on fielding either a Indy Car or Indy Lights car and are heading to sports cars.

See ya, John Edwards. Tell Buddy, Jon and the rest of the AOW bred drivers hello for us. :(

You're absolutely useless!

Scotty G.
22nd February 2010, 21:15
You're absolutely useless!

Yep, the truth hurts sometimes. ;)

Chamoo
22nd February 2010, 21:22
Yep, the truth hurts sometimes. ;)

Some people don't give two sh*ts if they are all ride buyers. Some people are content to see cars on the grid.

I feel bad about the people around you in life. If you are anywhere near as negative in society as you are on here, you must lead a terribly depressing life.

Scotty G.
22nd February 2010, 21:42
1. Some people don't give two sh*ts if they are all ride buyers. Some people are content to see cars on the grid.

2. I feel bad about the people around you in life. If you are anywhere near as negative in society as you are on here, you must lead a terribly depressing life.

1. Yep. Probably the 200,000 or so still watching. :D LOTS of others do care that all this sport has now are ride-buyers and a couple of token American drivers. Sorry that it actually matters, but it does. I am glad you don't care and love seeing Jamie Camara, Milka Donuts and James Rossiter taking up space out there. You are a better man then most. :D

2. Sorry to disappoint you, but I am very happy and live a very satisfying life.

Its not my fault that Indy Car Racing is so royally screwed up and that so many good drivers from ALL nationalties are on the sidelines. Again, the facts suck sometimes.

DanicaFan
22nd February 2010, 22:20

This is a total waste of time, money, and the opportunity to get a good driver in that seat.

TURN3
22nd February 2010, 22:39
This is a total waste of time, money, and the opportunity to get a good driver in that seat.

Just like 2 of those seats at AGR and 3/4 of the rest of the grid.

DanicaFan
22nd February 2010, 22:59
Just like 2 of those seats at AGR and 3/4 of the rest of the grid.

I dont like the fact we dont have a confirmation on Rahal or Moraes at the moment but the AGR team is just fine.

Oh, and just wait, Danica will win the 2010 IndyCar Championship.

Scotty G.
22nd February 2010, 23:45
Charlie Kimball is the lone American driver listed (of the 14 total entries) for Indy Lights testing at Barber.

But, we got 2 more girls racing there though. :p

Girl power, baby!

TURN3
22nd February 2010, 23:47

When they commit you ask if they can put Danica posters on the padded walls. In other words, :D :D :D :D :D (limit of 5 reached)!

NickFalzone
22nd February 2010, 23:55

Sometimes DF, I can't tell if you're cheerleading, or trolling. The line between the two gets very blurry.

Chris R
23rd February 2010, 02:31
DF - I admire our optimism - we could use a dose of that here these days!! :p

Scott - Is Simona a ride buyer? I was under the impression she was actually a decent driver.....

I think Americans are perfectly happy to support good drivers/personalities regardless of national origin.... the problem is not where they come from or their gender or whether or not the buy rides - it is that most have marginal talent and no personality...... However, remember Alex Zanardi came here as a ride buyer with dubious talent and he kicked butt and America LOVED him....

Let us not forget that some of the homegrown drivers have fallen to the wayside because they are not all that great and they do not have much in the way of personality, NASCAR is full of these guys because the are molded into the company image so the shortcomings do not matter - they are the field fillers who occasionally shine but typically tool around, carry the NASCAR flag, and collect a nice salary for their efforts. Really the ride buyers are no worse in many ways..... (not that I am singing their praises)...

TURN3
23rd February 2010, 03:00
I just seen the report on AR1's homepage where Lotus is considering an alliance with a current team to run the Indy 500 with an eye on series participation in the future. So if this goes anywhere...what team could they form this "alliance" with? I'm thinking RLR with Graham if nothing has happened there yet. Any thoughts?

Scotty G.
23rd February 2010, 05:59
I just seen the report on AR1's homepage where Lotus is considering an alliance with a current team to run the Indy 500 with an eye on series participation in the future. So if this goes anywhere...what team could they form this "alliance" with? I'm thinking RLR with Graham if nothing has happened there yet. Any thoughts?

RLR with Alex Gurney?

Scotty G.
23rd February 2010, 06:28
Ana Beatriz apparently has bought her way into Brazil and Indy with D&R, in the #23 (the former Milka mobile).

How many Brazilian drivers do we need for this Brazilian race? Are they a bunch of "xenophobes" down there, that won't support this race without a bunch of countrymen/women to root for? :D

Either that, or their drivers write better checks then other countries drivers do. :p

Josh1985
23rd February 2010, 07:42
Ana Beatriz apparently has bought her way into Brazil and Indy with D&R, in the #23 (the former Milka mobile).

-Indylights Rookie of the Year in 2008 (3rd in points with 1 win)
- 1 win in 2009 (8th in points despite missing two races)

Sounds like maybe an opportunity in her hometown and at the Indy 500 might be deserved....if only she was American, right? :rolleyes:

Civic
23rd February 2010, 09:14
However, remember Alex Zanardi came here as a ride buyer with dubious talent and he kicked butt and America LOVED him....

Like Chip Ganassi hires ride buyers. Zanardi and C. Fittipaldi were recommended by Adrian Reynard to test since they drove Reynard F3000 cars. (Gil de Ferran might've been recommended by Reynard too)

Jeff Krosnoff also tested with Chip Ganassi and from what I read the #4 car was narrowed down to those two guys.

Scotty G.
23rd February 2010, 15:03
Latest rumor from the grapevine, isn't a particularly good one for the JR Hildebrand fans out there hoping for a full-time ride.

Looks like JR may only do 3 Indy Car races this year. Indy, Long Beach and Sears Point.

Looks like the Coyne deal could be dead for him.

The positive is, that he could be heading to Andretti Autosport, for his 3 races (with help from Gary Peterson). At least he would be in a good ride. Maybe that is why JR has looked in this direction. Coyne's team is probably going to fall way off this year (and with them looking at Duno, that tells you that) and he probably wouldn't be competitive at all with that ride. At least with a couple race deal with AA, he should be good.

But its really a shame, that this kid can't find (or get hired on merit) a full-time ride in this sport.

And as Chamoo speculated a few days ago, I think if Summerton has a deal that it would be with Coyne. Possibly sharing a car with Donuts and both running at Indy and maybe another race or two. But that is just speculation at this point.

MDS
23rd February 2010, 15:42
Bunches of announcements either scheduled or made today

Bia Figueiredo, aka "Ana Beatriz"in a third DR&R car for Brazil, Indy and other races.

Mario Romancini in at Conquest, allegedly for the entire season.

Penske will unveil their liveries for the year today, none of the cars will be red and white this year.

Milka Duno is going to be testing with DCR, possibly sharing the car with JR Hildebrand

Chamoo
23rd February 2010, 15:54
Penske will unveil their liveries for the year today, none of the cars will be red and white this year.

Just stumbled upon this on another forum.

Penske Livery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hInsm0b14KQ)

garyshell
23rd February 2010, 16:53
Just stumbled upon this on another forum.

Penske Livery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hInsm0b14KQ)

Wow does that ever look like the old NH livery back when Nigel drove for them.

Gary

Scotty G.
24th February 2010, 02:54
Lots of rumors flying about Coyne today.

Have heard Milka Duno and Citgo bucks are likely for a partial schedule deal.

Have heard Alex Lloyd will be at DCR tomorrow for a seat fitting and will test at Sebring.

I have heard Jonathan Summerton could also be in the mix, for at least a partial schedule (the other races that Milka doesn't run???). BSA obviously wants an American driver and he might be the best fit. Likely not full-season.

Dale evidently through some sort of combination of drivers, will run 2 cars full-time and gets the TEAM money for both cars.

I have heard JR Hildebrand is looking elsewhere now (likely Andretti) and will run Indy, Long Beach and Sears Point for Andretti's team (remember, RHR is not scheduled to run Long Beach early in the season). Andretti would run 5 cars at Indy (although JR's car would be more of a AFS entry, using the AFS Lights crew). 3-4 cars everywhere else (RHR only has 6-7 races on his schedule right now).

JR will be banking on 3 races with a top-end team being better for his future then a partial season or full season with a midpack (maybe) team. Plus, Andretti might be in need of a replacment for Danica in 2011, and they are very high on Hildebrand.

Scotty G.
24th February 2010, 07:38
As you first heard here weeks ago, Davey Hamilton will announce his 2010 Indy Car plans with Luzco/Dragon Racing on Wednesday.

Scotty G.
24th February 2010, 15:03
Rahal says there is a "0% chance" of racing in Brazil.

Sounds like he is just hoping for a Indy 500 only ride at this point.

He is meeting with NASCAR next week and if NASCAR is smart (which they are), they will scoop him up and put a final nail in the AOW coffin.

If Indy Car was smart (which they aren't), an owner like John Barnes would have made a decision in the best interest of the SPORT and put a 2nd car program together for Graham to team with Wheldon. Or if they hadn't run Tony George off, Vision could have put a 2nd car together for him to team with Carpenter.

But nobody makes decisions for the best interest of the sport in Indy Car. Nobody looks at the future. Nobody looks to what the fans want or could get behind. Its all about "survival" for another month or another year. Its about doing the "easy" thing. Its about blaming others and having excuses ready. Its about putting yourself over the health of an entire series. That's Indy Car in a nutshell.

vintage
24th February 2010, 15:05
Lots of rumors flying about Coyne today.

Have heard Milka Duno and Citgo bucks are likely for a partial schedule deal.

Have heard Alex Lloyd will be at DCR tomorrow for a seat fitting and will test at Sebring.

I have heard Jonathan Summerton could also be in the mix, for at least a partial schedule (the other races that Milka doesn't run???). BSA obviously wants an American driver and he might be the best fit. Likely not full-season.

Dale evidently through some sort of combination of drivers, will run 2 cars full-time and gets the TEAM money for both cars.

I have heard JR Hildebrand is looking elsewhere now (likely Andretti) and will run Indy, Long Beach and Sears Point for Andretti's team (remember, RHR is not scheduled to run Long Beach early in the season). Andretti would run 5 cars at Indy (although JR's car would be more of a AFS entry, using the AFS Lights crew). 3-4 cars everywhere else (RHR only has 6-7 races on his schedule right now).

JR will be banking on 3 races with a top-end team being better for his future then a partial season or full season with a midpack (maybe) team. Plus, Andretti might be in need of a replacment for Danica in 2011, and they are very high on Hildebrand.

Have you actually heard any of this from someone who knows, or just seen it on the internet?

Chamoo
24th February 2010, 15:35
Have you actually heard any of this from someone who knows, or just seen it on the internet?

He's not the only one hearing these rumors asides from on forums.

TURN3
24th February 2010, 16:41

He is meeting with NASCAR next week and if NASCAR is smart (which they are), they will scoop him up and put a final nail in the AOW coffin.

If Indy Car was smart (which they aren't), an owner like John Barnes would have made a decision in the best interest of the SPORT and put a 2nd car program together for Graham to team with Wheldon. Or if they hadn't run Tony George off, Vision could have put a 2nd car together for him to team with Carpenter.

But nobody makes decisions for the best interest of the sport in Indy Car. Nobody looks at the future. Nobody looks to what the fans want or could get behind. Its all about "survival" for another month or another year. Its about doing the "easy" thing. Its about blaming others and having excuses ready. Its about putting yourself over the health of an entire series. That's Indy Car in a nutshell.

Scotty your post is startling if accurate and you are right "if Indycar were smart", which we all know they are not, they would make d%$n sure Graham isn't snatched up by NASCAR. At this point under these circumstancess though it is not the mid level owner that should be responsible for putting the stars in cars, it is the league itself...it is THEIR product they are trying to sell.

And don't go ruining an otherwise good post by saying if they hadn't run off Tony George. For God's sake what is it with you and this guy? By everybody's account in the world but yours he is a complete moron and is more responsible than any other individual for the fact Open Wheel Racing is on its death bed. Unless I misunderstand you, you seem to think TG being gone is a bad thing?

garyshell
24th February 2010, 16:44

So where's your checkbook?

Gary

jackmart
24th February 2010, 17:12
Where did you hear there is 0% chance of him running in Brazil??

He played it too risky by turning to Coyne, hoping to get picked up by someone else. I can't see him going to Nascar or staying there because he always talks about how boring it is.

I'd be interested in where you heard there was no chance of him running in Brazil and that he is meeting with Nascar next week. I hope this isn't true. I will be so sad if he is out of Indycar!!! :(

Lousada
24th February 2010, 18:18
Where did you hear there is 0% chance of him running in Brazil??

He played it too risky by turning to Coyne, hoping to get picked up by someone else. I can't see him going to Nascar or staying there because he always talks about how boring it is.

I'd be interested in where you heard there was no chance of him running in Brazil and that he is meeting with Nascar next week. I hope this isn't true. I will be so sad if he is out of Indycar!!! :(

He also slammed the IRL when he was in Champcar. Let him go to Nascar if he wants. I doubt he'll make an impression, he's a roadracer first afterall.

TURN3
24th February 2010, 19:14
With respect to Luczo/DeFerran announcement, I think it is worth pointing out that they have been "building" this program from the ground up the "right" way. Nice to see legit sponsorship announcement, a talented driver that has won championships at literally every level, etc. Kudos to this group. Along with Sarah Fisher's team maybe some others should take note of what it is like to be a professional race team.

Scotty G.
24th February 2010, 22:28
And don't go ruining an otherwise good post by saying if they hadn't run off Tony George. For God's sake what is it with you and this guy? By everybody's account in the world but yours he is a complete moron and is more responsible than any other individual for the fact Open Wheel Racing is on its death bed. Unless I misunderstand you, you seem to think TG being gone is a bad thing?

It was more "tongue-in-cheek" then anything.

TG was a moron and he fit right in with all the morons in this sport.

But, if TG were still in charge, you can damn well be sure that Graham Rahal would be testing with somebody today instead of getting ready to go to Charlotte next week to talk to NASCAR.

But now that you have bean-counters and bull riders running things, these moron team owners are left to fend for themselves. Which they have proven over-and-over again, that they cannot do.

Scotty G.
24th February 2010, 22:31
With respect to Luczo/DeFerran announcement, I think it is worth pointing out that they have been "building" this program from the ground up the "right" way. Nice to see legit sponsorship announcement, a talented driver that has won championships at literally every level, etc. Kudos to this group. Along with Sarah Fisher's team maybe some others should take note of what it is like to be a professional race team.

What do Jay Penske, Steve Luzco and Sarah Fisher all have in common?

They never owned a race car team in CART. And those CART-ways, are tough to change, for most of the rest of the current group of ownership genius's.

Scotty G.
24th February 2010, 22:36
1. Where did you hear there is 0% chance of him running in Brazil??

2. He played it too risky by turning to Coyne, hoping to get picked up by someone else.

1. From today's article in the IndyStar:

...."to begin testing today for the season opener next month in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Rahal said the chances of participating in that race are "zero," leading him to meet next week with NASCAR officials to see if there's something available for him in stock car racing."

2. He thought he was going to have a ride with Newman/Haas/Lanigan. By the time he found out he wasn't, it was too late to get anything else decent. And no, Coyne's team in 2010, is not decent.

gofastandwynn
25th February 2010, 01:46
2. He thought he was going to have a ride with Newman/Haas/Lanigan. By the time he found out he wasn't, it was too late to get anything else decent. And no, Coyne's team in 2010, is not decent.

So Rahal is the equivalent of Cousin Eddie holding out for a management position? Yea, my sympathy for he his declining by the second...

TURN3
25th February 2010, 02:00
So Rahal is the equivalent of Cousin Eddie holding out for a management position? Yea, my sympathy for he his declining by the second...

What is he supposed to do under the circumstances? Hardly comparable to cousin Eddie since he's probably the 5th or 6th most talented driver in the series full-time (or was). I can tell you this, as good as Will Power is (and he will contend for the championship this year), I assure you that he is very fortunate to have been secured before Rahal's situation at NHL popped up. Otherwise Rahal would be driving the 3rd Penske, without question. I say that as a huge fan of Will too.

Chris R
25th February 2010, 02:27
for Marco to have a ride and Rahal to not have a ride is just wrong.. this guy is a proven winner, a proven name, and he is only getting better......

Chamoo
25th February 2010, 03:57

I'd take a wait and see approach to that. I'm thinking one of the two cars might do well.

garyshell
25th February 2010, 04:29

Certainly not decent enough to commit to the two year deal Dale wanted. For those who are saying they have little sympathy for Graham because he didn't take Dale's offer. Don't forget it was a two year offer only. As much as I admire Dale for his efforts over the years, I can't blame Graham for not wanting to be locked in there for two years.

Gary

Scotty G.
25th February 2010, 04:47
Certainly not decent enough to commit to the two year deal Dale wanted. For those who are saying they have little sympathy for Graham because he didn't take Dale's offer. Don't forget it was a two year offer only. As much as I admire Dale for his efforts over the years, I can't blame Graham for not wanting to be locked in there for two years.

Gary

Plus, Graham probably wouldn't get paid squat from Coyne. That is why Wilson left.

Not going to Coyne is probably the best move a Rahal or a Hildebrand could make in these times. For Summerton, who wasn't as impressive in Lights as JR (and doesn't have the IRL connections with Andretti that JR has) and wasn't as impressive in Atlantics as Edwards, and seems kinda "stuck" with his career, taking a Coyne ride makes sense.

Plus, do we really know if Graham was offered a FULL-TIME ride with Coyne or not? You can count on one hand (and have about 3 fingers left) how many drivers Dale has hired over the years, that didn't fund the program.

gofastandwynn
25th February 2010, 04:58
Plus, Graham probably wouldn't get paid squat from Coyne. That is why Wilson left.

How much is he getting paid sitting on the sideline?

gofastandwynn
25th February 2010, 05:15
for Marco to have a ride and Rahal to not have a ride is just wrong.. this guy is a proven winner, a proven name, and he is only getting better......

A proven winner?

I think he is very good, but he has won 1 race using pit strategy to win a rain shorted race. Danica & Marco have as many wins as Graham. Kevin Cogan has as many wins as Graham. He can sit on the side lines and cry, or he can prove himself drive the wheels off of a mid pack car (like rookies used to have to).

MDS
25th February 2010, 05:18
The problem I see is the only team with solid sponsorship is TCG, Luczo Dragon and Andretti Autosport, and only Panther AJFE, and to a lesser extent DR&R have any sort of legitimate sponsor. I'm not sure where the Penske funding is coming from, and at least half of the field is composed of ride buyers.

I don't have anything against ride buyers, and the ones coming into the league this year certainly seem to have resumes meriting a ride, but the problem is without sponsors there isn't any long-term stability or a number of corporations working on growing the league.

jackmart
25th February 2010, 05:21
wow that is so sad for graham. that really changes how many races im gonna go see this year if he gets no ride

MDS
25th February 2010, 06:26
Although it appears that James Rossiter has a legit sponsor, and a sense of racing history. Marisco is a vodka Liqueur, and I love the Lotus John Player throwback. Given that PDVSA is a legit company as well I guess that means we add KVRT to the team with actual sponsor backing.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4385273915_8ca799fe94.jpg

garyshell
25th February 2010, 07:36
A proven winner?

I think he is very good, but he has won 1 race using pit strategy to win a rain shorted race. Danica & Marco have as many wins as Graham. Kevin Cogan has as many wins as Graham. He can sit on the side lines and cry, or he can prove himself drive the wheels off of a mid pack car (like rookies used to have to).

Oh please, are you REALLY going to compare Graham to the princess or the golden boy? That has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have seen on this forum in a very long time.

Gary

garyshell
25th February 2010, 07:37
Although it appears that James Rossiter has a legit sponsor, and a sense of racing history. Marisco is a vodka Liqueur, and I love the Lotus John Player throwback. Given that PDVSA is a legit company as well I guess that means we add KVRT to the team with actual sponsor backing.

That is a GREAT look. I always loved the LJP cars.

Gary

Chris R
25th February 2010, 15:19
A proven winner?

He also won in champ car didn't he?? (asking not telling...)

Your point is valid - but I think he has shown more talent than either Marco or Danica - granted that is my opinion - but I think it is likely shared by the majority....

As far as taking a mid-pack ride - that is a judgement call... They say to be very careful about "downgrading" your job because it is very hard to move up once yo have shown a willingness to move backwards.... Once you have driven for a top-flight team it might not be a good idea to step back.....

Chamoo
25th February 2010, 15:31
He also won in champ car didn't he?? (asking not telling...)

Your point is valid - but I think he has shown more talent than either Marco or Danica - granted that is my opinion - but I think it is likely shared by the majority....

As far as taking a mid-pack ride - that is a judgement call... They say to be very careful about "downgrading" your job because it is very hard to move up once yo have shown a willingness to move backwards.... Once you have driven for a top-flight team it might not be a good idea to step back.....

No, he never won in CCWS. He came close a couple of times.

As for gofastandwynn saying Graham should drive the wheels off a mid-pack car like rookies used to do, not sure if you noticed or not, but Graham Rahal is no where near a rookie. He has put his time in, and should not need to prove himself.

jwhite9185
25th February 2010, 18:22
IMO Newman haas was a midpack team once they came to Indycar. Infact I'd say DCR showed more promise last year than they did. Seems like Paul Newman was the one keeping that team going. Now he's gone, i can see them going the same way as Panther.

TURN3
25th February 2010, 19:46
IMO Newman haas was a midpack team once they came to Indycar. Infact I'd say DCR showed more promise last year than they did. Seems like Paul Newman was the one keeping that team going. Now he's gone, i can see them going the same way as Panther.

On road courses DCR was right there with NHL last year but nowhere close on ovals. NHL was the only team (outside of KV mid season or so on) that could regularly challenge Ganassi and Penske on all course types as far as speed, there were right there with Graham week in and week out. They didn't always get the results at the end because of crashes or strategy but speed wise they were definately the best of the rest. We were talking last year on this forum that the the were the 3 in the big 3 instead of AGR.

As far as their downward fall since PN passed, yes I'm afraid it seems to be a rapid decline in terms of operation and sponsorship, performance likely to but we'll soon see.

gofastandwynn
25th February 2010, 21:49
Oh please, are you REALLY going to compare Graham to the princess or the golden boy? That has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have seen on this forum in a very long time.

Gary

He has as many wins as Marco & Danica, is that not true?

Neither Marco or Danica have made the same mental mistake at turn 4 in the Indy 500 in back to back years.

I think Graham is very talented but if you look at his results, if his name were anything but Rahal there would not be anybody who would care if he were in a car. And in that, he is like Danica & Marco.

garyshell
25th February 2010, 21:55

Neither Marco or Danica have made the same mental mistake at turn 4 in the Indy 500 in back to back years.

I think Graham is very talented but if you look at his results, if his name were anything but Rahal there would not be anybody who would care if he were in a car. And in that, he is like Danica & Marco.

If you say so... I still think the comparison to the princess and the golden boy are ridiculous. Graham has show more talent, maturity and "stage presence" than the two of them put together.

Gary

TURN3
25th February 2010, 21:57

One big difference between him and those 2 is that he runs at the front consistently. Very very rarely will you see Marco or Danica even in mid-pack these days on a road course and not much better on ovals. Marco seemed to have talent coming out of lights but apparently he lacks technical skill just like Danica. A factual reason AGR/AA is no longer an elite team. Graham on the other hand has been THE guy at NHL and they continuously improved throughout the course of that first year (which they should hardly be judged on) and of course last year. Mind you he didn't miss a single fast 6 last year on a road course. Yes, they all have 1 win amongst them but much like I illustrated in a NASCAR forum thread, look at the circumstances. Graham is notably touted as the young American with all the hope across all the boards, teams, engineers, reporters...you don't hear that about Marco and you DA$# sure don't hear it about Danica.

gofastandwynn
26th February 2010, 00:22
One big difference between him and those 2 is that he runs at the front consistently. Very very rarely will you see Marco or Danica even in mid-pack these days on a road course and not much better on ovals. Marco seemed to have talent coming out of lights but apparently he lacks technical skill just like Danica. A factual reason AGR/AA is no longer an elite team. Graham on the other hand has been THE guy at NHL and they continuously improved throughout the course of that first year (which they should hardly be judged on) and of course last year. Mind you he didn't miss a single fast 6 last year on a road course. Yes, they all have 1 win amongst them but much like I illustrated in a NASCAR forum thread, look at the circumstances. Graham is notably touted as the young American with all the hope across all the boards, teams, engineers, reporters...you don't hear that about Marco and you DA$# sure don't hear it about Danica.

The problem with what you say is, the stats just don't back it up. Graham had 4 finishes last year outside of the top 20 (by comparison Dario only had 2 finishes outside of the top 10) The only drivers who had more 20+ finishes were Mike Conway & EJ Viso. He had a lot of races where he qualified well (fyi he did miss the fast 6 at Long Beach) and raced (ironically for all of those Fast 6 qualifings he did not have a single top 6 finish on a RC last year) but had a lot where he was piss poor (Iowa, Texas, Homestead) and races where he was just dumb (Indy, Toronto).

Let me make myself clear, I think that Graham has more talent and is a better driver that Danica & Marco, but he has the same results as both of those 2 at this point and time, and unless he starts producing wins he is going to become the Joe Namath of indycar racing, a Danica.

DanicaFan
26th February 2010, 05:19
You are wrong Turn3, Danica runs at the front of the pack very consistently.

Scotty G.
26th February 2010, 05:46
Who knows if it means anything or not (but I am guessing, it has some meaning), Summerton will be at Sebring this weekend watching the goings on.

TURN3
26th February 2010, 06:07

Obviously, as per as the results have shown. As usual, all I ask is that you back up your ludicrous claims with some stats. Go ahead, do some studying and by next October see if you can lay any claim of PROOF to you pipe dream of a claim.

Oh yeah, until then, I am right because that is what they stats have told me for 14 years with her. When you realize she isn't going to bear your children maybe you'll wake up.

TURN3
26th February 2010, 06:10
The problem with what you say is, the stats just don't back it up. Graham had 4 finishes last year outside of the top 20 (by comparison Dario only had 2 finishes outside of the top 10) The only drivers who had more 20+ finishes were Mike Conway & EJ Viso. He had a lot of races where he qualified well (fyi he did miss the fast 6 at Long Beach) and raced (ironically for all of those Fast 6 qualifings he did not have a single top 6 finish on a RC last year) but had a lot where he was piss poor (Iowa, Texas, Homestead) and races where he was just dumb (Indy, Toronto).

Let me make myself clear, I think that Graham has more talent and is a better driver that Danica & Marco, but he has the same results as both of those 2 at this point and time, and unless he starts producing wins he is going to become the Joe Namath of indycar racing, a Danica.

Fair enough GoFast...I just feel like if you look at the respective circumstancses, all things considered, Graham is far ahead of the level Marco and especially Danica have shown with more time in the Dallara. Stats don't lie but they certainly can be skewed on a short term basis. We can agree that Graham has the talent while the other 2 are still looking to substantiate it.

beachbum
26th February 2010, 12:00

GaryI think that points out one reason there aren't many Americans in the series. Every driver wants the best deal, the best car, and the best team. But it seems to me that many of the foreign drivers take whatever they can find. They don't want to be left standing when the music stops. Their first goal is to be driving - anything, anywhere. Their career goal is to race. What happens after that is icing on the cake.

While I agree that Rahal needs to be in the series, being picky may just leave you standing, just like others like Buddy Rice. Waiting for the best deal seems to be the American way, but you may be left picking up crumbs. IMHO, too many have a goal of getting more icing before getting the cake.

Scotty G.
26th February 2010, 13:57
Waiting for the best deal seems to be the American way, but you may be left picking up crumbs. IMHO, too many have a goal of getting more icing before getting the cake.

When you have won championships and won the Indy 500 and are still in your racing prime, you have earned the right to pick the best deal and not play the formula car/Indy Car game.

A guy like Buddy Rice is a PROFESSIONAL race driver. He should be paid to do his job and should be HIRED on merit. He shouldn't have to play the "ride-buyer" game that so many of these nobody's and no-talent's are playing today.

On principle, I don't blame him for what he has done. Somebody has to stand up and do the right thing for once.

MDS
26th February 2010, 18:10
I wanted to wait until after the Barber test, as it gave us a number of answers. As of today I count 20 full time teams with the possibility of four more (Hunter Reay, one or two at DCR, a second at HVM) four part time times and three more confirmed Indy-only rides. This year has been massively derailed by the DirectTV/Versus spat, but all told it could be a lot worse. If all the deals come together there could well be 36-38 teams at Indy this year

Penske Racing
3- Helio Castroneves
6- Ryan Brisco
12-Will Power Verizon

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon Target
10- Dario Franchitti Target

Andretti Autosports
7- Danica Patrick Go-Daddy
11- Tony Kannan 7-11
26- Marco Andretti Venom
37- Ryan Hunter-Reay Izod (Brazil, St. Pete, Long Beach, Indy, Toronto and Homestead, + looking for more cash)

Newman Hass Lanigan Racing
06- Hideki Mutoh Formula Dream

KVRT
5- Takuma Sato Azul?
8- E.J. Viso PDVSA
15- Paul Tracy (Indy only at this point, likely the ABC and Canadian races)
32-James Rossiter Marico/Lotus

Dryer and Rienbold racing
22-Justin Wilson Z-Line Designs
24-Mike Conway

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos Airforce/HP
21- Davy Hamilton HP (Indy, Texas Oval TBD)

Panther racing
4- Dan Wheldon National Guard

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria ABC

FASTT Racing
77-Alex Tagalini Several sponsors

Dale Coye Racing
19- JR Hildebrand?/Graham Rahal?/Milka Duno/Alex Lloyd? BSA

Conquest
34-Mario Romancini

HVM
78-Simona De Silvestro

Sarah Fisher Racing
67 Sarah Fisher Dollar General (St. Petersburg, Barber, Kansas, Indy, Texas, Iowa, Chicago, Kentucky, Miami)
76 Jay Howard Discount Tire (Indy, Texas, Mid-Ohio, Chicago)

Brazil Only

DR&R
Ana Beatriz
Has signed with DR&R is looking to add Indy and other races.

According to the Brazilian press Nelson Merlo, Jamie Camara, and Mario Moraes are all looking for rides for the race.

Indy Only

Sam Smidt Motorpsors
99 Townsend Bell

Panther Racing
16- Scott Sharp? Graham Rahal?

Bryan Herta Motorsports
?- Sebastian Saavedra?/Stefan Wilson?

Free Agents:

There aren't a lot of potential dancing partners left at this point, the ones I'm hearing about include

Alex Loyd: Testing with DCR at Sebring this week, is wearing his Wii Fit race suit, so that might tell you something about his relationship with HER. I still don't believe that email that was posted on another forum from the HER CEO.

Graham Rahal: Has been offered the BSA ride at Dale Coyne Racing, and could still end up there. There have been rumors floating around that his father would bring RLR back this year to run Graham with little or no sponsorship.

Robby Gordon: There has been of talk about him at Indy, possibly with Derrick Walker, but Hummer's shutdown has hurt his off-road operation and will take money out of his pot. There's also some talk about him and John Menard buying Vision's assets, but I'm pretty sure that's just talk.

Tomas Scheckter: Has been working hard to make a deal happen and could still end up at DCR, HVM or Conquest in a full-time ride.

Mario Moraes: Despite not being at the Barber test there is still a chance he could end up in a full time ride at KVRT, also DCR and HVM are options.

JR Hildebrand: Isn't signed at Coyne, there's rumors he going to split time between Coyne and an AA satelite team.

Milka Duno: Still has funds, will travel.

vintage
26th February 2010, 18:35
On the Marco/Rahal comparison, I'm not sure you can say that Graham is "clearly" better than Marco. They actually seem to be pretty comparable, other than the fact that Marco rubs a lot more people the wrong way.

I think one being better than the other is a decision we'll have to wait a few more years to make.

TURN3
26th February 2010, 18:37
What happened to Doornbos? Like him or not he is a fast driver with a lot of personality. I know he didn't make friends at NHL but thought going back to HVM they might be able to step up their program a little this year. Now he's disappeared or did I miss something.

TURN3
26th February 2010, 18:43
On the Marco/Rahal comparison, I'm not sure you can say that Graham is "clearly" better than Marco. They actually seem to be pretty comparable, other than the fact that Marco rubs a lot more people the wrong way.

I think one being better than the other is a decision we'll have to wait a few more years to make.

All you have to do is look at the time sheets on pretty much any weekend. That coupled with the fact at NHL, Graham is developing a car for a team in their 2nd season with it while Marco has been with what was a dominate team for 4 years and had people to set his car up for him. I'm not really sure how Marco can be considered a top 10 driver, where Graham is by pretty much everybody.

A few more years to sample both will certainly be useful. Together, they may be the 2 saviors of American auto racing...we'll now down the road.

Chamoo
26th February 2010, 18:51
Jonathan Summerton is testing this weekend he says. I wonder if he might end up with Team 3G?

vintage
26th February 2010, 19:08
Doesn't sound to me like Summerton ended up driving anything there.

From twitter "had fun at Sebring heading home gotta get back to hard work need to find a ride!"

MDS
26th February 2010, 19:30
What happened to Doornbos? Like him or not he is a fast driver with a lot of personality. I know he didn't make friends at NHL but thought going back to HVM they might be able to step up their program a little this year. Now he's disappeared or did I miss something.

He's still with GR8 Industries and he won't end up at HVM, unless something changes. I haven't heard anything, but according to his twitter feed he's been in Amsterdam working out and working a deal, but I have no idea with whom or in what series.

garyshell
26th February 2010, 20:05
I think that points out one reason there aren't many Americans in the series. Every driver wants the best deal, the best car, and the best team. But it seems to me that many of the foreign drivers take whatever they can find. They don't want to be left standing when the music stops. Their first goal is to be driving - anything, anywhere. Their career goal is to race. What happens after that is icing on the cake.

While I agree that Rahal needs to be in the series, being picky may just leave you standing, just like others like Buddy Rice. Waiting for the best deal seems to be the American way, but you may be left picking up crumbs. IMHO, too many have a goal of getting more icing before getting the cake.

What you are not taking into account with this are the reports that Graham is finding sponsor interest for 2011. Graham got hung out to dry by Carl Haas. He thought he had a ride but found out a tad late in the game that he didn't . As soon as he started beating the streets looking for sponsorship, it became obvious he was a bit late in the annual sales cycle (2010) for such things, but did have real interest for 2011. So therefore he does not want to commit to Dale for anything other than 2010. I am pretty sure the deal would have already been done with Dale had he been willing to do a one year contract.

Gary

garyshell
26th February 2010, 20:06

Got any FACTS to back this up? Real stats only, not your perceptions.

Gary

garyshell
26th February 2010, 20:19
When you have won championships and won the Indy 500 and are still in your racing prime, you have earned the right to pick the best deal and not play the formula car/Indy Car game.

A guy like Buddy Rice is a PROFESSIONAL race driver. He should be paid to do his job and should be HIRED on merit. He shouldn't have to play the "ride-buyer" game that so many of these nobody's and no-talent's are playing today.

On principle, I don't blame him for what he has done. Somebody has to stand up and do the right thing for once.

His championship was in Atlantics. In 97 starts in the IRL he has three wins.

In the IRL he placed:
22nd in 2002
16th in 2003
3rd in 2004
15th in 2005
15th in 2006
9th in 2007
16th in 2008

That averages out to a 13th or 14th place (13.7) finish.
I don't really think this qualifies him for a free ride. Sorry Buddy get in line with everyone else and play the same game.

Gary

Scotty G.
26th February 2010, 21:35
37- Ryan Hunter-Reay Izod (Brazil, St. Pete, Long Beach, Indy, Toronto and Homestead, + looking for more cash)

Bryan Herta Motorsports

Hunter-Reay is not running Long Beach. He said that on Trackside with Cavin and Kevin this week.

Doesn't mean Andretti won't run a 4th car at Long Beach though. That is where the Hildebrand rumors for a 3 race schedule with AA/AFS come in. Long Beach, Indy and Sears Point? Could be.

Herta has announced that he will run Saavedra at Indy. I think its a HUGE mistake, to run a 19 year old with limited oval expereince in his first Indy Car race at Indy with a 1 car team, but money talks.

jackmart
27th February 2010, 04:02
Latest from grahams twitter

I just want to reiterate that IndyCar is where I currently want to be, and I am focusing all my effort on that, there is opportunities.

I think he means are opportunities which sounds promising. I guess he probably did make that nascar comment to make indycar people think twice about passing him up. How I would love to see him at TCG, but that doesn't sounds like an option. He says he has funding for next year just not this year, I wonder if he will have enough to go with them next year.

garyshell
27th February 2010, 07:26
Latest from grahams twitter

I think he means are opportunities which sounds promising. I guess he probably did make that nascar comment to make indycar people think twice about passing him up. How I would love to see him at TCG, but that doesn't sounds like an option. He says he has funding for next year just not this year, I wonder if he will have enough to go with them next year.

Did he make a NASCAR statement? Or did Robin Milller imply it?

Gary

jackmart
27th February 2010, 07:33
Robin implied it and he gave a link to robins article on his twitter

EagleEye
27th February 2010, 19:06
I wanted to wait until after the Barber test, as it gave us a number of answers. As of today I count 20 full time teams with the possibility of four more (Hunter Reay, one or two at DCR, a second at HVM) four part time times and three more confirmed Indy-only rides. This year has been massively derailed by the DirectTV/Versus spat, but all told it could be a lot worse. If all the deals come together there could well be 36-38 teams at Indy this year

Penske Racing
3- Helio Castroneves
6- Ryan Brisco
12-Will Power Verizon

Target Chip Ganassi
9-Scott Dixon Target
10- Dario Franchitti Target

Andretti Autosports
7- Danica Patrick Go-Daddy
11- Tony Kannan 7-11
26- Marco Andretti Venom

Newman Hass Lanigan Racing
06- Hideki Mutoh Formula Dream

KVRT
5- Takuma Sato Azul?
8- E.J. Viso PDVSA
15- Paul Tracy (Indy only at this point, likely the ABC and Canadian races)
32-James Rossiter Marico/Lotus

Dryer and Rienbold racing
22-Justin Wilson Z-Line Designs
24-Mike Conway

Luczo-Dragon Racing
12- Rafa Matos Airforce/HP
21- Davy Hamilton HP (Indy, Texas Oval TBD)

Panther racing
4- Dan Wheldon National Guard

AJ Foyt Enterprises
14- Vitor Meria ABC

FASTT Racing
77-Alex Tagalini Several sponsors

Dale Coye Racing
19- JR Hildebrand?/Graham Rahal?/Milka Duno/Alex Lloyd? BSA

Conquest
34-Mario Romancini

HVM
78-Simona De Silvestro

Sarah Fisher Racing
67 Sarah Fisher Dollar General (St. Petersburg, Barber, Kansas, Indy, Texas, Iowa, Chicago, Kentucky, Miami)
76 Jay Howard Discount Tire (Indy, Texas, Mid-Ohio, Chicago)

Brazil Only

DR&R
Ana Beatriz
Has signed with DR&R is looking to add Indy and other races.

According to the Brazilian press Nelson Merlo, Jamie Camara, and Mario Moraes are all looking for rides for the race.

Indy Only

Sam Smidt Motorpsors
99 Townsend Bell

Panther Racing
16- Scott Sharp? Graham Rahal?

Bryan Herta Motorsports

Free Agents:

There aren't a lot of potential dancing partners left at this point, the ones I'm hearing about include

Alex Loyd: Testing with DCR at Sebring this week, is wearing his Wii Fit race suit, so that might tell you something about his relationship with HER. I still don't believe that email that was posted on another forum from the HER CEO.

Graham Rahal: Has been offered the BSA ride at Dale Coyne Racing, and could still end up there. There have been rumors floating around that his father would bring RLR back this year to run Graham with little or no sponsorship.

Robby Gordon: There has been of talk about him at Indy, possibly with Derrick Walker, but Hummer's shutdown has hurt his off-road operation and will take money out of his pot. There's also some talk about him and John Menard buying Vision's assets, but I'm pretty sure that's just talk.

Tomas Scheckter: Has been working hard to make a deal happen and could still end up at DCR, HVM or Conquest in a full-time ride.

Mario Moraes: Despite not being at the Barber test there is still a chance he could end up in a full time ride at KVRT, also DCR and HVM are options.

JR Hildebrand: Isn't signed at Coyne, there's rumors he going to split time between Coyne and an AA satelite team.

Milka Duno: Still has funds, will travel.

The best update you have ever had. Really. Amazing what you find when you walk the paddack. Good job.

I would add that HVM, and Conquest will be hard pressed to make every race, without help. There is also an expected drop off after Indy.

With the DTV/Versus issue still in play, and unless ratings improve, the series will essentially die out.

MDS
28th February 2010, 02:46
I would add that HVM, and Conquest will be hard pressed to make every race, without help. There is also an expected drop off after Indy.

Yeah, but with some luck, and decent finishes in the 500, they could make the whole season. I'm cautiously hopeful about this year, but

With the DTV/Versus issue still in play, and unless ratings improve, the series will essentially die out.

That's absolutely accurate, but the ratings should be up this year. Danica Patrick has received more coverage than ever before, and IZOD is doing a stellar job promoting the series. Danica will probably get 25,000 fans or so to follow her from NASCAR to Indy, and honestly, that's a 10 percent bump right there. Also Robby Gordon running the Indy 500 should help, there's also rumors of a current NASCAR driver looking to make at least one more race this season, although that could be Robby looking at a deal for Long Beach. Also Barber, St Pete and Long Beach all have reported strong sales. One of the better signs is that Barber has sold out of its reserved camping spots, that means they have a solid base of dedicated fans with money, because those spots. The three day tickets you really need, aren't cheap and there's really no other track activity that weekend than the ICS. I honestly believe the DirecTV/Versus dispute will be settled before July.

I'm confident we'll see better ratings this year. The average on Versus last year was about .24, if the series doubles that, which is possible, it's a good start, and something you can sell to sponsors for 2011. If the year average goes up to a 1.5, it'll be a successful year.

Plus there are rumors out there about a major, major announcement coming in the next couple of weeks, not really sure what that could be, but a couple of credible people are tweeting about it.

Scotty G.
28th February 2010, 04:50
But the ratings should be up this year.

How could they not be? They almost statistically can't go any lower.

I don't see any reason why there will be any more interest in the series this year then last.

So they double a .2 rating to a .4 You think any company is going to jump on board, in this economy, for that? Not likely. A .4 is still worthless for companies and Versus, a worthless network to be associated with.

Most of the races are still on Versus. Many of us, still cannot get Versus and there is no reason to believe (since college football and the NHL haven't made any difference) that will change anytime soon.

The driver lineup has very few American drivers and the first oval race isn't until May.

Sorry, but unless Dale Jr, Stewart and Kyle Busch announce tomorrow they are quitting NASCAR and coming to Indy Cars, ratings are still going to be VERY miniscule. And the future, very murky.

Lousada
28th February 2010, 12:05
That's absolutely accurate, but the ratings should be up this year. Danica Patrick has received more coverage than ever before, and IZOD is doing a stellar job promoting the series. Danica will probably get 25,000 fans or so to follow her from NASCAR to Indy, and honestly, that's a 10 percent bump right there. Also Robby Gordon running the Indy 500 should help, there's also rumors of a current NASCAR driver looking to make at least one more race this season, although that could be Robby looking at a deal for Long Beach. Also Barber, St Pete and Long Beach all have reported strong sales. One of the better signs is that Barber has sold out of its reserved camping spots, that means they have a solid base of dedicated fans with money, because those spots. The three day tickets you really need, aren't cheap and there's really no other track activity that weekend than the ICS. I honestly believe the DirecTV/Versus dispute will be settled before July.

I'm confident we'll see better ratings this year. The average on Versus last year was about .24, if the series doubles that, which is possible, it's a good start, and something you can sell to sponsors for 2011. If the year average goes up to a 1.5, it'll be a successful year.

Plus there are rumors out there about a major, major announcement coming in the next couple of weeks, not really sure what that could be, but a couple of credible people are tweeting about it.

If the trend continues of pre-indy races being substantially higher as post-indy races, St-Pete, Barber and Brazil need to score at least a .7 on Versus. They are lucky Kansas is on ABC now, I think that was the lowest rating last year, and Milwaukee was the lowest ABC rating I think. Izod has done a ton of promotion, Danica in Nascar, the Delta Wing controversy, if they can't improve ratings this year they never can.
As for the spectator numbers. Barber only has a capacity of 30.000. Brazil only sells 36.500 tickets. If they can make the bills with that it's fine by me. But I don't see how that is better than a half-full Richmond which is around 50.000.

SoCalPVguy
28th February 2010, 15:55
Originally Posted by http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/aria/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=0#post0)
I just want to reiterate that IndyCar is where I currently want to be, and I am focusing all my effort on that, there is opportunities.

Graham needed to spend more time in English class... "are" opportunities not "is"... All athletes need to get an education so when that playing career is over - generally sooner than later - they have something to fall back on...

MDS
28th February 2010, 16:41
So I was taking a closer look at car counts, I think we'll probably see 22 FT cars, even if one or more of them is a ride share. The biggest fields will probably be Brazil, Texas and Kansas where Davey Hamilton, Paul Tracy, Robby Gordon, Sebastian Saavedra and Ed Carpenter might be running there as an Indy warm up, plus the race is on ABC.

The smallest field will probably be Infineon Raceway where it will just be the full time teams, which by that point could be 19/20

So here's a list of probable Indy one offs, not counting the less stable teams who haven't ever turned a lap at the speedway but claim they will one day. So going under the assumption of 23 cars fulltime teams (the 20 announced between DCR, Ryan Hunter Reay, and HVM getting enough sponsorship to run the full series) four announced part-time teams whose schedule include Indy (2 SFR, 1 KVRT for PT, and Davey Hamilton at LDR), that brings us to 27 teams. Here's how I see the rest of the field playing out at this point

Announced entries
Sam Schmit Racing
99- Towsend Bell

Bryan Herta Autosport
27-Sebastian Saavedra

Likely one offs

Vision Racing
20 Ed Carpenter

Hemelgarn/Johnson
91-Buddy Lazier

3G Racing
98-Jaquces Lazier?/Mario Antinucci?

Extra cars
Panther
16-Scott Sharp?

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
41- Anthony Foyt IV?

DR&R
43-Ana Biatrix

NHL/NWR?
02-Mario Moraes?John Edwards?

That brings us to 35, and that's not counting Robby Gordon, because I'm not sure where he's going to land. A lot pf people are speculating Andretti, but while I was in Daytona I heard Robby was talking with Derrick Walker about the prospect of doing Indy, Kansas and potentially Long Beach. He might also want to go to NHL because they showed some speed last year, and there is a possibility of Robby Gordon replacing Mike Lanigan as a partner.

As a side note there is a lot, a lot of rumors floating around about Robby Gordon at the moment. He has been mentioned of forming a partnership with Carl Hass and Derrick Walker while selling most of his NASCAR assets to BAM racing. Will be very interesting with to see him play out. I went on the double with him years ago, and asked him about owning an IRL team, and he said words to the effect that he'd like to be Carl Hass one day.

John Andretti is probably going to find his way into the field somewhere, but right now I don't know where. Add in potential rides for John Edwards, Mario Moreas, Graham Rahal and Alex Gurney you could be looking at a 40-car field. I don't think its likely to happen, but even with nothing unexpected happening their should be some bumping going on during the last day. The two big announcements that should give us an idea of what the field will look like will be Robby Gordon and Rahal Letterman Racing.

Scotty G.
28th February 2010, 20:58
Announced entries

Bryan Herta Autosport
27-Sebastian Saavedra

Likely one offs

DR&R
43-Ana Biatrix

John Andretti is probably going to find his way into the field somewhere, but right now I don't know where.

Herta will likely run the #29 for Saavedra. That is the number they are running in Lights. The #27 is a Andretti team number, that could be used by JR Hildebrand this year.

Ana Beatriz has only signed on for Brazil with D&R in the #23. I think Scheckter will end up in the #23 at Indy. And I would expect John Andretti back with D&R in the #43 at Indy, sponsored by Window World.

Both Scheckter and Andretti are big favorites of Larry Curry, who calls the shots at D&R. They have plenty of cars now (which they did not have last year, when they ran 4 entries at Indy) and are better prepared for it.

EagleEye
1st March 2010, 03:02
So I was taking a closer look at car counts, I think we'll probably see 22 FT cars, even if one or more of them is a ride share. The biggest fields will probably be Brazil, Texas and Kansas where Davey Hamilton, Paul Tracy, Robby Gordon, Sebastian Saavedra and Ed Carpenter might be running there as an Indy warm up, plus the race is on ABC.

The smallest field will probably be Infineon Raceway where it will just be the full time teams, which by that point could be 19/20

So here's a list of probable Indy one offs, not counting the less stable teams who haven't ever turned a lap at the speedway but claim they will one day. So going under the assumption of 23 cars fulltime teams (the 20 announced between DCR, Ryan Hunter Reay, and HVM getting enough sponsorship to run the full series) four announced part-time teams whose schedule include Indy (2 SFR, 1 KVRT for PT, and Davey Hamilton at LDR), that brings us to 27 teams. Here's how I see the rest of the field playing out at this point

Announced entries
Sam Schmit Racing
99- Towsend Bell

Bryan Herta Autosport
27-Sebastian Saavedra

Likely one offs

Vision Racing
20 Ed Carpenter

Hemelgarn/Johnson
91-Buddy Lazier

3G Racing
98-Jaquces Lazier?/Mario Antinucci?

Extra cars
Panther
16-Scott Sharp?

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
41- Anthony Foyt IV?

DR&R
43-Ana Biatrix

NHL/NWR?
02-Mario Moraes?John Edwards?

That brings us to 35, and that's not counting Robby Gordon, because I'm not sure where he's going to land. A lot pf people are speculating Andretti, but while I was in Daytona I heard Robby was talking with Derrick Walker about the prospect of doing Indy, Kansas and potentially Long Beach. He might also want to go to NHL because they showed some speed last year, and there is a possibility of Robby Gordon replacing Mike Lanigan as a partner.

As a side note there is a lot, a lot of rumors floating around about Robby Gordon at the moment. He has been mentioned of forming a partnership with Carl Hass and Derrick Walker while selling most of his NASCAR assets to BAM racing. Will be very interesting with to see him play out. I went on the double with him years ago, and asked him about owning an IRL team, and he said words to the effect that he'd like to be Carl Hass one day.

John Andretti is probably going to find his way into the field somewhere, but right now I don't know where. Add in potential rides for John Edwards, Mario Moreas, Graham Rahal and Alex Gurney you could be looking at a 40-car field. I don't think its likely to happen, but even with nothing unexpected happening their should be some bumping going on during the last day. The two big announcements that should give us an idea of what the field will look like will be Robby Gordon and Rahal Letterman Racing.

NHL has nothing for a second car, and any potenital surround Servia.

3G- DOA, unless past expenses paid...to Honda and more...

Gordon, spot on for Walker, at least they are trying.

Vision should be at the 500, but with what crew?

But again, it is way too early to work on the 500.

Versus has to get the DTV deal done...or ratings will not improve.

The Danica factor will be a positive factor...

Rahal/TCG/Rahal in the works? They might of found a sponsor, but it is tied to DTV/Versus issue.....

DCR, who knows. Milka and ???

And Moraes will have to write a check. So far, no deal, but he could end up with something in the final hour. Not saying he does not deserve a ride, just the way it is.

px400r
1st March 2010, 13:08

Any ratings increase will have to come from a huge bump in the Indy 500 ratings. There is no way Versus will come close to the 1.0 ratings for non Indy 500 telecasts that the IRL used to get from ABC/ESPN.

It is time for AOW to find a new economic model for the sport. It cannot continue to rely on the old model anymore. It has lost to NASCAR.

jwhite9185
1st March 2010, 19:52
Andretti Autosport to announce new driver this week. Any guesses? Stayed tuned for details!

hmm wonder if this is for lights or indycar?

Scotty G.
1st March 2010, 20:54
hmm wonder if this is for lights or indycar?

I am pretty sure its for Indy Car.

Fingers crossed, the rumor first posted here last week, actually comes to fruition. :) I know Angstadt and the boys have been working hard on it for months to get this kid into a Indy Car.

I'll be very disappointed for the sport, if its something else.

Scotty G.
2nd March 2010, 07:16
Alex Lloyd has reportedly signed with whatever team is left at Coyne.

Unfortunately, Milka has found another taker for her checko (also with Coyne). IF (and its a big IF) this gets Summerton into this car on at least a limited basis (for the love of God, at least get her off the road and street courses), then I guess it will be a semi-positive. The fact that this woman is still around, in any capacity, is laughable at this point.

If it doesn't happen for Summerton, then it just is another sad mark for Indy Car Racing. Because, (in mine and many others opinions) an American driver should be driving a car sponsored by the National Guard and should be driving one with an association with the Boy Scouts of America. If you can't get an American driver in those cars with those sponsors, then is it any surprise we are in the shape we are in? (and yes Mark, on this issue, we probably disagree). ;)

Also one bit of news I read about today is that Vision Racing still has 2 race ready Dallara's and another chassis that could be race-ready, in their possession. They have sold 2 chassis (one to KV and one to D&R) in the past few weeks.

So if and when Vision returns to the track, equipment will not be an issue.

DazzlaF1
2nd March 2010, 19:03
Simona de Silvestro gets a fulls eason deal with HVM

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81811

How it leaves everything

* = Part-time

ANDRETTI: Patrick, Kanaan, Marco Andretti, Hunter-Reay*
KV-RT: Sato, Viso, Rossiter, Tracy*
PENSKE: Castroneves, Briscoe, Power
DREYER & REINBOLD: Wilson, Conway, Beatriz*
GANASSI: Dixon, Franchitti
DE FERRAN/LUCZO-DRAGON: Matos, Hamilton*
SARAH FISHER: Fisher*, Howard*
N-H-L: Mutoh
PANTHER: Wheldon
FOYT: Meira
HVM: de Silvestro
CONQUEST: Romancini
FAZZT: Tagliani
SAM SCHMIDT: Bell*
HERTA: Saavedra*
RGM: R. Gordon*
DALE COYNE: ???

Full time entries: 21
Part time entries: 9
Entries for season opener in Brazil: 23

TURN3
2nd March 2010, 19:24
Simona de Silvestro gets a fulls eason deal with HVM

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81811

How it leaves everything

* = Part-time

ANDRETTI: Patrick, Kanaan, Marco Andretti, Hunter-Reay*
KV-RT: Sato, Viso, Rossiter, Tracy*
PENSKE: Castroneves, Briscoe, Power
DREYER & REINBOLD: Wilson, Conway, Beatriz*
GANASSI: Dixon, Franchitti
DE FERRAN/LUCZO-DRAGON: Matos, Hamilton*
SARAH FISHER: Fisher*, Howard*
N-H-L: Mutoh
PANTHER: Wheldon
FOYT: Meira
HVM: de Silvestro
CONQUEST: Romancini
FAZZT: Tagliani
SAM SCHMIDT: Bell*
HERTA: Saavedra*
RGM: R. Gordon*
DALE COYNE: ???

I see you put it in your info above but wanted to point out Bell going to Chipster's satellite operation with Schmidt. Carrying Herbalife sponsorship again this year, it is a great company and I wish they'd get more involved. This will be a strong team, Lloyd was pretty quick in this capacity last year.

Chamoo
2nd March 2010, 19:37

I'm thinking you are short by one car as I'm expecting Dale Coyne to run two cars full time somehow.

Car counts should be pretty good with all the partial schedules we are going to see.

DazzlaF1
2nd March 2010, 21:16
I'm thinking you are short by one car as I'm expecting Dale Coyne to run two cars full time somehow.

Car counts should be pretty good with all the partial schedules we are going to see.

In the meantime though I can only see them beign able to run 1 car like last year.

I agree also the entry level is good, the only downside beign we could see a below 33 entry for the Indy 500 unless we get these late one off entries that seem to occur.

Chamoo
2nd March 2010, 21:59
I agree also the entry level is good, the only downside beign we could see a below 33 entry for the Indy 500 unless we get these late one off entries that seem to occur.

Coyne is strongly rumored to have signed Alex Lloyd and Milka Duno to seperate cars.

I doubt that. By your count of 21 Full Time entries plus 8 part-time driver's announced that will participate at Indy then add Robbie Gordon who is not confirmed but it's more or less the worst kept secret right now, and you get 9 ANNOUNCED Indy part-time or one-offs.

Add to that a rumored second car for FAZZT at Indy, a more or less guarenteed second car from A.J. Foyt, a car from Vision, a car from Hemelgarn, John Andretti landing somewhere as usual, a second HVM and a second Conquest, a second car from NHLR, a possible RLR car, and the fact that you can more or less guarentee that Graham Rahal will be running the Indy 500 in 2010.

We've got plenty of cars for the 2010 Indy 500.

Chamoo
2nd March 2010, 22:15
As a side note, I just heard from a reputable source that 24 cars have been shipped to Brazil.

Oli_M
2nd March 2010, 22:37
I just have this feeling that the "21 full time cars" we have now will dwindle slightly throughout the year. I'm very intrigued to see who actually turns up in Brazil.......

Chamoo
3rd March 2010, 00:08
I just have this feeling that the "21 full time cars" we have now will dwindle slightly throughout the year. I'm very intrigued to see who actually turns up in Brazil.......

The nice thing about the 21 Full Time cars is the amount of part time deals. Of course we would all like those part time deals to be full time deals, but unfortunately that's not how it worked.

With all the part time deals, we will see a bunch of races with 23-24 cars, and even if that number drops off, the part time deals should be good enough to keep us around 20 or 21 for the rest of the season.

SarahFan
3rd March 2010, 00:14
the grid looks to be about 2-3 cars larger than i expected.....thats cool!

Chamoo
3rd March 2010, 00:21

Agreed. There were some pleasant surprises this off-season and even though we are missing some guys we should have, it could be a lot worse than it is.

Scotty G.
3rd March 2010, 03:51

Yep. A few more ridebuyers showed up then first expected. ;)

Chamoo
3rd March 2010, 14:03
Yep. A few more ridebuyers showed up then first expected. ;)

Lol. That is true. For some though, that is not the worst thing that can happen.

MDS
3rd March 2010, 23:32
The Indy Business Journal confirms what many of us have known for a while, Graham is going to be sitting at home because he could come to terms with Dale Coyne

http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2010/03/03/indycars-graham-rahal-playing-dangerous-waiting-game/PARAMS/post/18448

Phoenixent
3rd March 2010, 23:56
The Indy Business Journal confirms what many of us have known for a while, Graham is going to be sitting at home because he could come to terms with Dale Coyne

Well if Graham is not going to take DCR's ride then Paul Tracy should as DCR is as good as Vision Racing and could be on par with KVRT.

TURN3
4th March 2010, 00:30
Well if Graham is not going to take DCR's ride then Paul Tracy should as DCR is as good as Vision Racing and could be on par with KVRT.

He was offered the Coyne ride the past 2 years from what I've heard. I don't blame PT. At the point in his career he is at he's openly stated he wants a chance to win. He would rather do a part time gig than be a field filler. I don't blame Graham for not wanting to go 2 years if he seems to have a gig with Chip next year. I'm a little curious why Dale wouldn't go 1 year with Graham all things considered. Dale has had a revolving door and let Justin in and out so....DCR, Indycar, and Graham all benefit most from a 1 year deal as far as I'm concerned.

gofastandwynn
4th March 2010, 01:01
He was offered the Coyne ride the past 2 years from what I've heard. I don't blame PT. At the point in his career he is at he's openly stated he wants a chance to win. He would rather do a part time gig than be a field filler. I don't blame Graham for not wanting to go 2 years if he seems to have a gig with Chip next year. I'm a little curious why Dale wouldn't go 1 year with Graham all things considered. Dale has had a revolving door and let Justin in and out so....DCR, Indycar, and Graham all benefit most from a 1 year deal as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry, who were the 3 teams who won last year? Penske, Ganassi &...last I checked COYNE. And outside of Toronto PT was little more than a field filler, so I see that as BS.

TURN3
4th March 2010, 01:16
I'm sorry, who were the 3 teams who won last year? Penske, Ganassi &...last I checked COYNE. And outside of Toronto PT was little more than a field filler, so I see that as BS.

Ok, you're obviously correct. Justin was bad fast on most of the rc's last year and he was able to come through for Coynes first win in like 30 years. so I see you're point, Coyne is one of the big 3...my mistake. Nevermind that they were still incapable of competing on the ovals which still made up the majority of the sched. According to you, they are one of the top 3 teams so now we're all much more well informed because of your post.

You ever think for 1 second that guys like PT and Graham, and even Justin for that matter prefer to go where a team has resources? Wait, you know more than they do right? Don't get me wrong I love Coyne and he deserves a ton of credit for always answering the bell. But his role in the series is to answer the bell, not dominate it.

gofastandwynn
4th March 2010, 01:54
Ok, you're obviously correct. Justin was bad fast on most of the rc's last year and he was able to come through for Coynes first win in like 30 years. so I see you're point, Coyne is one of the big 3...my mistake. Nevermind that they were still incapable of competing on the ovals which still made up the majority of the sched. According to you, they are one of the top 3 teams so now we're all much more well informed because of your post.

You ever think for 1 second that guys like PT and Graham, and even Justin for that matter prefer to go where a team has resources? Wait, you know more than they do right? Don't get me wrong I love Coyne and he deserves a ton of credit for always answering the bell. But his role in the series is to answer the bell, not dominate it.

No, but then again PT just wanted to win races, never said anything about trying to win a championship. Short of driving a red car, no body was close to any of them on the ovals this year, but Justin & Coyne were fast on the RC, as were other teams, so I don't wanna hear B.S. from people on the sidelines about not having a good enough ride. (PS if PT only wanted to be in a car that could win how do you spin his ride in the Foyt car last year?)

I am sure that they would prefer to go on one of those red teams, but the important fact you are forgetting is that they aren't getting offers from those teams. PT wasn't turning down D&R so he could take the 3rd Penske. If Ganassi REALLY wanted Graham, he would have him in a car, be it his or somebody else's for 1 year. And if Graham REALLY wanted to be in a car at Brazil, he would have (If Lane Kiffin has proven anything, it is that contracts don't mean anything anymore in the world of sports)

But sit on the sidelines for a year and wait for a better ride, I'm sure that won't hurt your skills.

TURN3
4th March 2010, 15:53
A full time ride at Coyne is way better than a part time ride anywhere else with the possible exception of Penske. Race car drivers have a limited shelf life, similar to football players. To throw away a year of your career sitting on the side lines is an error.

As for PT, he's done as a regular front runner. He just won't admit it. If he wants a drive he can't afford to be picky.

I disagree with you to some extent. The argument was made last year sometime on this subject so I don't intend to go through it all again. Your point has merit but I think under circumstances unique to each potential driver. You can look at Rahal's situation as similiar to Will Power's from last year...Will didn't get any slack for turning down Dale and look where he ended up this year. Contrarily, Justin took it and had a 50/50 year from the look on the surface but all things considered his year with Coyne was stellar. Graham and PT aren't the only 2 to turn that ride down over the years, Bruno did as well. We all don't know all the circumstances.

With respect to your comment on PT not being a regular front runner, I strongly disagree with you based on his part time performance last year. I'm not going to say he is as fast as he once was but I look at how much easier driving these cars are to those he spent a career driving. You've all seen the talk the drivers had last year about the old 900hp days, etc. There shouldn't be any argument these cars today don't require nearly the reaction times they used to. After a year plus off, he came into Indy last year and was very respectful with regard to the top teams yet on a short month program. If not for the damage from TK's debris he might have been able to take some advantage of the 3rd place post position late in the race. He didn't look good at the Glen, was very rusty but came to Toronto and ran at the front all weekend with a chance to win it. He was the best of the rest in Edmonton and he was 2nd best of the rest at Mid-Ohio...not quite sure how anybody can say he can't be a regular front runner when he ran that well under all those circumstances last year. Again, all due to the fact the current car formula just isn't challenging to somebody like him.

Lousada
4th March 2010, 16:37
Rahal must be pretty sure that he will get that Ganassi ride in 2011. I hope he has everything in writing because the Chipster might change his mind 100 times again. Alex Lloyd even had a contract and look where it got him.

MDS
4th March 2010, 18:12
Milka Duno full time in the 18 at Dale Coyne, 19 to be announced next week, could be any or a combination of Rahal, Lloyd or Hildebrand, possibly even Jonathan Summerton.

http://www.dalecoyneracing.com/release030410.html

dataman1
4th March 2010, 20:26
Milka Duno full time in the 18 at Dale Coyne, 19 to be announced next week, could be any or a combination of Rahal, Lloyd or Hildebrand, possibly even Jonathan Summerton.

http://www.dalecoyneracing.com/release030410.html

Just what every boy scout needs is a pin up girl.

DanicaFan
4th March 2010, 20:27
Milka Duno signing full-time is truly, a dark and sad day in the history of IndyCar and for Dale Coyne Racing. What a joke and a waste of equipment and time.

I feel bad for the other drivers now they have to worry about this dangerous, slow moving chicane at every track now.

Nikki Katz
4th March 2010, 20:36
Coyne does have a 2nd car this year doesn't it?

TURN3
4th March 2010, 21:14
Milka Duno signing full-time is truly, a dark and sad day in the history of IndyCar and for Dale Coyne Racing. What a joke and a waste of equipment and time.

I feel bad for the other drivers now they have to worry about this dangerous, slow moving chicane at every track now.

DanicaFan. Could you please quite posting nothing but negativity about Milka! Whaaaah!

What would be really funny is if Milka leads more laps than Danica again this year!! No that's racin'!

Scotty G.
4th March 2010, 21:51

Its the Indy Ridebuyer League. Milka Donuts is a perfect fit.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why Graham didn't "sign" any contract with Coyne. If Milka is your full-time driver, you have to know that team is a joke and will not compete for anything.

The Boy Scouts of America though, will just love being associated with a Venezuelan woman who can barely speak english. At least she is hot though. Will give the kids, something to look at. ;)

I am glad Graham turned him down.

Coyne would take a check from ANYONE (which he has shown in his career as a ride-selling owner), so taking on Milka and pretending you are going to "compete" is right up his alley.

TURN3
4th March 2010, 22:36
To add to the points earlier regarding why somebody would turn the Coyne ride down, PT just tweeted that every driver he knows that has ever driven there is still owed money. So like I said earlier, all of us don't always know all the circumstances. If I were in Rahal or PT's position I'd turned him down regardless but if what PT says is factual, then it is a no brainer.

Scotty G.
4th March 2010, 22:51
To add to the points earlier regarding why somebody would turn the Coyne ride down, PT just tweeted that every driver he knows that has ever driven there is still owed money. So like I said earlier, all of us don't always know all the circumstances. If I were in Rahal or PT's position I'd turned him down regardless but if what PT says is factual, then it is a no brainer.

Probably is factual.

Coyne has never paid drivers jack squat and that is one of the MAIN reasons why Wilson left.

Dale is a nice fellow and somehow still has a race team going. But his team has been a joke for a long time and he has never truly tried to be a REAL professional racing team; relying on anyone with a pulse (and a big check) to fund his team from year-to-year.

Nothing is ever going to change for DCR.

He only got a little more "competitive" recently, because Champ Car was funding him for a few years and then TG and his welfare plan funded him for the past 2 years.

With no more sugar daddy CEO's running the show, Dale will slide right back into the back of the grid again, where he has always been when he wasn't being propped up by series leaders.

Again, blaming Rahal for not taking a bottom-feeder ride, with a teammate who couldn't race her way out of a paper bag, for very little real salary (don't believe the 6 figuers BS in that story) and absoluetly no chance of competing at Indy, is blaming the wrong people.

Blame the 3 or 4 owners out there that actually DO hire drivers, without the drivers funding the team. Blame them, for the pathetic numbers of American drivers and lack of interest in this sport by American fans, companies and media. Guys like Kalkhoven, Coyne, Bachelart and Haas are just ride-sellers, who can't find money on their own and would rather rely on the easy way of selling out and just trying "survive" from race-to-race/year-to-year, then actually building a product that could actually be sold to the consumer.

DanicaFan
4th March 2010, 23:40
Not technically Indycar but deals with Andretti Autosport..

Their driver announcement was they signed 15 year old Sage Karam to drive for their team in the 2010 USF2000 National Championship. This kid was great in karting, let's see how he does now.

px400r
5th March 2010, 00:04
Not technically Indycar but deals with Andretti Autosport..

Their driver announcement was they signed 15 year old Sage Karam to drive for their team in the 2010 USF2000 National Championship. This kid was great in karting, let's see how he does now.

I'm still wondering how these great short track racers are going to make it to Indy...

MDS
10th March 2010, 17:41
Hearing a few rumors that Graham will be FT from St. Pete onward, and it might be with Lotus rather than RLR.

MDS
10th March 2010, 19:11
Whatever the news Graham has it will be announced tomorrow. He was in Indy today finishing up a deal.

From his Twitter, "Workin hard today. Good news to be announced tomorrow! I'd imagine it will shock everyone!"

gofastandwynn
10th March 2010, 21:32
Whatever the news Graham has it will be announced tomorrow. He was in Indy today finishing up a deal.

From his Twitter, "Workin hard today. Good news to be announced tomorrow! I'd imagine it will shock everyone!"

Nope, it's with Sarah Fisher Racing...

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100310/SPORTS0107/100310045/1004/SPORTS/Graham-Rahal-to-drive-for-Sarah-Fisher-Racing

Graham Rahal to drive for Sarah Fisher Racing
By Curt Cavin
Posted: March 10, 2010

Graham Rahal has finally landed an Izod IndyCar Series ride, and it's an unexpected pairing.

Rahal will drive Sarah Fisher's Dollar General-sponsored car at two early-season races as he prepares his program for the rest of the 2010 season.

Fisher owns Indianapolis-based Sarah Fisher Racing with other members of her family. She is scheduled to enter the No. 67 car at nine races this season with Jay Howard driving a team car at five. Both will be in the Indianapolis 500.

Rahal, 21, is one of IndyCar's bright young stars. He won the 2008 race in St. Petersburg, Fla., one of the two places where he will drive Fisher's car this season. That race is March 28.

The other is the April 11 race at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Ala.

Rahal was left unemployed when Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing opted to end his contract for 2010.

MDS
10th March 2010, 21:50
yeah, didn't see that one coming

Scotty G.
10th March 2010, 22:24
A new team, or just a rebadging of 3G? From their press release today...

"Tsunami Racing plans to enter a full time entrant into the IZOD IndyCar Series, with a second entry as a strong possibility."

Steve Sudler from 3G, is one of the co-owners. I have heard Richard Antinucci (likely fulltime starting at St. Pete) and possibly Jaques Lazier (for Indy) will likely be the drivers.

Wonder where Greg Beck winds up in all of this?

Scotty G.
10th March 2010, 22:29
Coyne announced today that Englishmen Alex Lloyd would drive the #19 Boy Scouts of Wales :p Car, at Brazil.

Interesting, that it was worded that way.