PDA

View Full Version : insurance

Sonic
7th November 2009, 17:06
ARGGGGHHHHH!

What the F@*# is the point??

Recently had both my cars stolen (but thankfully recovered by the cops) so without transport I went to my insurance company to get a hire car sent over.

"Ah well we can't do that sir"

Long and the short of it is that because the police are holding the cars for forensic testing the insurers will not provide a temporary car. Ironically had the cars not have been recovered I'd be pottering around in a vauxhall corsa or other such hire car fodder by now. And as its now the weekend I won't get a car till Tuesday at the earliest.....GRRRR!

Rant over. Feel better.....ish.

Wade91
7th November 2009, 17:10
thats pretty cheap on the part of the insurance company,

its really the fault of the cops though, for not just giving you your cars back

MrJan
7th November 2009, 17:20
That sucks. Were both stolen together or are you just really unlucky?

If you are paying anything like what I do for insurance then you should go ape at the person on the phone, wouldn't surprise me if they eventually gave in and provided something.

Daniel
7th November 2009, 17:37
Personally I wouldn't want my car back if anyone had driven it any distance. If our 500 is written off in the first 4 years we get a new car. If the Subaru got stolen and then ragged by a thief I think we'd probably prefer to find another one.

What cars were they Sonic?

GridGirl
7th November 2009, 17:58
So you took out gap insurance Daniel? The gap insurance on my car runs out next month so if anyone wants to write it off in the next few weeks feel free. ;) :p Some idiot on the M1 nearly took me out a few weeks ago and I was almost tempted not to swerve out the way but then I thought that if we crashed at atleast 70mph it would probably hurt and thought better of it. Stupid mentality to have but it was quite tempting.

Back on topic but yes insurance companies are rubbish!!!

Sonic
7th November 2009, 18:07
Yup, both cars at the same time :(

Broke into the house and as well as walking away with the TV, wii, ipod and all the other electrical stuff they took the car keys too.

Strangely they didn't take them far - my C2 was found less than half a mile away!

So not only am I fighting two separate car insurance companies, no doubt the house insurance will be just as bad.

Ps yes I did give them a mouthful and will be speaking to a manager on Monday to vent some more.

Daniel
7th November 2009, 18:18
So you took out gap insurance Daniel? The gap insurance on my car runs out next month so if anyone wants to write it off in the next few weeks feel free. ;) :p Some idiot on the M1 nearly took me out a few weeks ago and I was almost tempted not to swerve out the way but then I thought that if we crashed at atleast 70mph it would probably hurt and thought better of it. Stupid mentality to have but it was quite tempting.

Back on topic but yes insurance companies are rubbish!!!
Yeah I took out 3 years cover and the first year of my insurance policy is new for old :) Our 500 is now £400 more expensive than when we bought it and likely to go up buy another £300 when VAT rises in Jan so we thought it a good idea :)

GridGirl
7th November 2009, 18:23
Why would anyone leave their car keys downstairs where a thief can easily find them? I'm sorry that you got broken into Sonic and this isn't meant directly at you but the majority of house break in's are done by thieves that just want your car keys and will take anything else to hand if they have the time. My house is alarmed on the ground floor and garage at night and in anycase my car keys are kept upstairs in a place I would expect no thief to find them. Surely this is just common sense good house keeping.

Sonic
7th November 2009, 18:35
I'm glad it was not directed at me because my car keys were locked in my safe whislt away on holiday.

No matter how many precautions you take it seems if they are desperate enough they'll find a way to take your stuff.

Daniel
7th November 2009, 18:39
Exactly Sonic. Thieves will alwyas find a way. One of the very reasons we didn't bother to spec an alarm on our 500. It stops nothing.

Ranger
7th November 2009, 23:57
thats pretty cheap on the part of the insurance company,

its really the fault of the cops though, for not just giving you your cars back

It is an inconvenient situation no doubt.

But punishing a criminal for breaking the law is a higher priority than a few days inconvenience. It's just principle.

Sonic
8th November 2009, 11:30
Indeed Malllen. My grump was directed at the insurance company. The police on the other hand have been top draw; they found my wifes handbag 2 towns away where it had been dumped by the roadside having been stripped of anything of value. The old bill could have just put it in lost property but they followed every tiny scrap of info left in the bag and less than 12 hours after the break in had located us in our hotel room 6000 miles away.

I know the police take some stick sometimes but in this situation have been great.

J4MIE
8th November 2009, 12:19
That sucks Sonic, I hope you had a good holiday otherwise though :)

Sonic
8th November 2009, 15:18
Yeah Vegas was good as ever. Spent the last two days stormin' around like a bear with a bad head after we heard the news tho.

Sonic
10th November 2009, 18:55
Ladies and gentlemen.

I have a car! Success.

Ps it is a vauxhall corsa (why would anyone spend 9K on one of these, its sooooo poor).

Lousada
11th November 2009, 13:44
Why would anyone leave their car keys downstairs where a thief can easily find them?

Someone desperate enough to break-in for car keys, would be desperate enough to come and 'ask' you for them upstairs. A car is just a car and it's insured anyway. I prefer my own safety over my worldly possesions.

Jag_Warrior
11th November 2009, 18:35
Ladies and gentlemen.

I have a car! Success.

Ps it is a vauxhall corsa (why would anyone spend 9K on one of these, its sooooo poor).

Congrats, Sonic. Glad to hear that you got that sorted out. I have no idea what a Vauxhall Corsa is, but I'm assuming it isn't on the same level as a McLaren SLR? :D

I've never had a car stolen, but I did have a break-in years ago while I was away. The feeling that someone had violated "my space" is what bothered me the most. A trip to the hardware and dept. stores can replace most everything that's been stolen. But there's no way to really deal with that sick feeling that someone has been in your home. :mad:

As for making a home burglar proof, that's impossible. If a thief can get into a museum with hundreds of millions in artwork, etc., he can get into a residential property. The best you can do is slow them down.

harsha
11th November 2009, 18:47
Is the Vauxhall Corsa somewhat related to the Opel Corsa ?

Donney
11th November 2009, 18:56
http://blog.wikifotos.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/vauxhall_corsa.jpg (http://blog.wikifotos.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/vauxhall_corsa.jpg)

Sonic
11th November 2009, 20:26
Yup. Vauxhall is the British brand of Opel. All cars are identical aside from the badge.

Captain VXR
11th November 2009, 22:00
Yup. Vauxhall is the British brand of Opel. All cars are identical aside from the badge.

Ive never heard of an Opel OPC8

I HATE thieves with a passion

J4MIE
11th November 2009, 22:03
Well I read that one of the people who won £6,500,000.00 on the euromillions is going to treat herself to a Corsa ("a blue one"), so they must be decent ;)

Sonic
12th November 2009, 08:22
Well I read that one of the people who won £6,500,000.00 on the euromillions is going to treat herself to a Corsa ("a blue one"), so they must be decent ;)

Lol. Some people have no imagination! I'm richer than my wildest dreams and I'm gonna splurge it on a........Corsa. And let's go nutts - make it blue!

Mark
12th November 2009, 08:24
To be fair, they might not want a bigger car, they may not be confident in driving anything bigger, or more powerful. Of course there are better small cars than the Corsa!

Daniel
12th November 2009, 08:32
To be fair, they might not want a bigger car, they may not be confident in driving anything bigger, or more powerful. Of course there are better small cars than the Corsa!
Like all other small cars :mark:

Sonic
12th November 2009, 10:09
Like all other small cars :mark:

hehehehehehe :D

Daniel
12th November 2009, 10:28
hehehehehehe :D
You should buy a Fiat 500 :p

Mark
12th November 2009, 10:55
You should buy a Fiat 500 :p

That would indeed be a better choice :p

GridGirl
12th November 2009, 12:17
Depends on the small car really. If I see men driving 500's I generally assume them to be gay unless they are wearing absolutely shocking clothing. I don't think that when I see men driving Corsa's.

Mark
12th November 2009, 12:19
Depends on the small car really. If I see men driving 500's I generally assume them to be gay unless they are wearing absolutely shocking clothing. I don't think that when I see men driving Corsa's.

LOL! You mean even after watching James May ... oh wait :laugh: :p

Daniel
12th November 2009, 12:44
I'm almost always wearing shocking clothes in my car, nothing in my hair :p Plus I haven't got a gay-spec 500 :p

Here's what a gay person's 500 looks like and yes that person is 100% ghey :p

http://www.fiatforum.com/members-motors/214949-original-cindy-v2-0-a.html

Valve Bounce
12th November 2009, 13:02
That's why I drive a Volvo. In Oz, Who the hell would want to steal a Volvo?
My son-in-law would be seen dead driving a Volvo. :D

Sonic
12th November 2009, 15:05
That's why I drive a Volvo. In Oz, Who the hell would want to steal a Volvo?
My son-in-law would be seen dead driving a Volvo. :D

Thought I could say the same about my Citroen - who in there right minds wants one of thosee? I don't and I owned it!

Daniel
12th November 2009, 15:20
Thought I could say the same about my Citroen - who in there right minds wants one of thosee? I don't and I owned it!
Why have you bought two cars that you don't like?

Sonic
12th November 2009, 15:27
The corsa isn't mine - just provided by the insurance company whilst I sort mine out. As for the C2 - I did like it when I bought it, but it has been far from a good car during the last 2 years I've owned it.

harsha
12th November 2009, 18:33

http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/articles/newcar_corsa_a/images/Elite%20main.jpg

atleast i hope the car is better looking than the corsa model which was in India...thankfully it's discontinued here

Sonic
12th November 2009, 18:42
That's a Corsa mark I. I think I'm right in saying we are on the mark III now. Still pish poor though.

Daniel
12th November 2009, 18:45
That's a Corsa mark I. I think I'm right in saying we are on the mark III now. Still pish poor though.

I just don't get how Vauxhall is still making such horrible cars and getting away with it.

The Corsa looks OK I guess, the Astra always looked ugly and the Insignia is horrible and even more chavvy looking in VXR form and the dynamics are nothing to write home about.

Malbec
12th November 2009, 19:02
I just don't get how Vauxhall is still making such horrible cars and getting away with it.

The Corsa looks OK I guess, the Astra always looked ugly and the Insignia is horrible and even more chavvy looking in VXR form and the dynamics are nothing to write home about.

I think Vauxhall's newer cars are getting better and better, the Insignia might not be sporty but it never pretends to be and is a nice place to be inside. Thats why they're selling more than they predicted which is why I guess GM isn't so interested in selling Vauxhall off any more. The new Astra looks pretty good too.

The Corsa though has always been woeful, utterly boring and crap to boot, lets forget about that one.

Still, I'm glad that the new Vauxhalls are better and people recognise that by buying them, they didn't deserve to go bust.

Rollo
12th November 2009, 19:29
The Corsa though has always been woeful, utterly boring and crap to boot, lets forget about that one.

Holden went from selling the Corsa C to foisting on us the Daewoo Kalos (also called the Chevy Aveo), and as such replaced a 4-star NCAP car with a 2-star NCAP car.
The Corsa in comparison to the Kalos is a dream.

Mark
13th November 2009, 08:30
I don't think the Corsa is particularly bad. I drove the previous model quite a few times as hire cars and they were perfectly fine. I haven't driven the new type but I believe it's a considerable improvement. They aren't bad cars, they just aren't particularly good either. Not to mention considerably overpriced.

Mark
13th November 2009, 08:31

Not sure that's right, because the Corsa mark I. Or Corsa A I believe it's officially called was marketed in the UK as the Nova. Favourite of chavs for a long time!

Daniel
13th November 2009, 08:42
I don't think the Corsa is particularly bad. I drove the previous model quite a few times as hire cars and they were perfectly fine. I haven't driven the new type but I believe it's a considerable improvement. They aren't bad cars, they just aren't particularly good either. Not to mention considerably overpriced.
Well the current one shares its base with the Grande Punto but I believe has Vauxhall engines in it and it's also made in Spain.

Donney
13th November 2009, 09:17
Something wrong with the made in Spain? It is the most profitable GM plant in Europe....

Daniel
13th November 2009, 09:19
Something wrong with the made in Spain? It is the most profitable GM plant in Europe....
I was merely highlighting the differences :p Didn't say made in Spain was worse than made in Italy :p

Sonic
13th November 2009, 10:10
Not sure that's right, because the Corsa mark I. Or Corsa A I believe it's officially called was marketed in the UK as the Nova. Favourite of chavs for a long time!

Ahhh yes I forgot that. Still see a couple of boy racer Nova's spluttering around town.

Donney
13th November 2009, 11:07
I was merely highlighting the differences :p Didn't say made in Spain was worse than made in Italy :p

OK, sorry, my bad.

:erm:

Jag_Warrior
13th November 2009, 21:09
Sonic, are you going to come back and let us know how this affected your insurance rates?

Sonic
13th November 2009, 21:20
No claims protected Jag, so there shouldn't be a rise.

Jag_Warrior
14th November 2009, 19:34
Wow, that's a good deal. Two cars stolen and a breakin: mine would go through the roof!

Sonic
14th November 2009, 19:47
Yeah. I'm sooooo please we spent the extra money to take out the protection on the insurance.