PDA

View Full Version : Avg 9

wedge
5th November 2009, 23:22
Anyone having problems with this?

Having installed this its been raping my HDD

Jag_Warrior
5th November 2009, 23:50
I've got 8.5 and was looking at the upgrade. What problems are you having? What's it doing???

wedge
6th November 2009, 00:19
It's doing *something* on my HDD and my PC is running slow.

Apparently its some optimization scan and apparently - didn't seem to notic it first time round but you can disable it on the installation process.

Edit: I installed yesterday which is why I'm a bit worried

Daniel
6th November 2009, 00:44
I just use microsoft essentials. Doesn't use much power at all.

Valve Bounce
6th November 2009, 01:48
What is Avg 9?

anthonyvop
6th November 2009, 02:35
It's doing *something* on my HDD and my PC is running slow.

Apparently its some optimization scan and apparently - didn't seem to notic it first time round but you can disable it on the installation process.

Edit: I installed yesterday which is why I'm a bit worried

If you go to msconfig you can un-check it to disable it at startup.

I have AVG9 and had the same problem. Once i disabled it everything has run fine.

Dave B
6th November 2009, 08:55
Riiiiight :\

Disable your antivirus and everything will be fine. I'm sure there's some sense to that, but I'm damned if I can find it.

Wasted Talent
6th November 2009, 15:47
What is Avg 9?

Free anti-virus software

WT

Wade91
6th November 2009, 16:30
i'm useing AVG 8.5 which seems to work fine

Valve Bounce
6th November 2009, 21:56
Well, I'm using AVG also, and thanks for the warning. I'll resist any attempt at updating the program. (tho' I will continue to update the definitions)

Mark in Oshawa
7th November 2009, 03:51
AVG does tend to slow things down when doing its things.

Anthony...there is no point in an antiviral program if you shut the sucker off....

anthonyvop
7th November 2009, 05:10
Riiiiight :\

Disable your antivirus and everything will be fine. I'm sure there's some sense to that, but I'm damned if I can find it.
Not the program but the optimization scan. 2 different things.

wedge
7th November 2009, 13:20
Everything's working fine now

So be warned, update AVG when you've got hours to spare

Daniel
7th November 2009, 17:34
Not the program but the optimization scan. 2 different things.

I would never trust anything that pretends to optimise your PC. Pure BS.

Valve Bounce
10th November 2009, 23:50
Has anyone else had problems with AVG9? I remember quite a few guys here use AVG.

Valve Bounce
13th November 2009, 22:05
Everything's working fine now

So be warned, update AVG when you've got hours to spare

OK! I'm being nagged by AVG on a daily basis to update to AVG9 before the deadline of Dec 1. So! have you worked out what to do to get around your problem? Exactly, step by step, what do I have to do during the upgrade?

Many thanks.

Jag_Warrior
15th November 2009, 18:19
OK! I'm being nagged by AVG on a daily basis to update to AVG9 before the deadline of Dec 1. So! have you worked out what to do to get around your problem? Exactly, step by step, what do I have to do during the upgrade?

Many thanks.

There's a Dec. 1 deadline to move to AVG9??? Lovely. Yeah, someone please detail this so both of us can keep our machines from being duds.

Valve Bounce
16th November 2009, 01:55
There's a Dec. 1 deadline to move to AVG9??? Lovely. Yeah, someone please detail this so both of us can keep our machines from being duds.

I gave in and upgraded this morning - so far so good. I resisted the optimise option, and the PC is running OK still.

22nd November 2009, 04:39
Check out reviews for Avast, I've been using it for some time now. Avast is expected to celebrate having 100,000,000 users by sometime in December (that's what they are saying anyway).

Wade91
3rd December 2009, 16:22
Check out reviews for Avast, I've been using it for some time now. Avast is expected to celebrate having 100,000,000 users by sometime in December (that's what they are saying anyway).
i installed Avast last night but ended up uninstalling it, becouse it was cousing problems becouse i also run spybot to protect my computer, and Avast thought spybot was a virus

i guess i'm gonna have to give AVG 9 a shot, becouse i dunno what else to use :s

Wade91
3rd December 2009, 18:54
ok, i'm a bit confused here,

the optimazation scan is what has been cousing problems? but the optmazation scan only runs once right?

did you guys still have problems with your computers after the optmazation scan was finished?

i just downloaded AVG 9 and i'm currently running the optmazation scan and so fer i havn't noticed any major problems

any scan is always gonna slow things down though

should i be worried though? when would any problems show up?

Wade91
3rd December 2009, 19:42
i dont sopose this forum is kinda slow for anybody else right now is?

i might have to uninstall AVG 9, but i dont know of anything else to use :(

3rd December 2009, 21:51
I haven't had any conflict problems with Avast. I run Spybot and Malwarebytes.

Valve Bounce
4th December 2009, 03:46
I haven't had any conflict problems with Avast. I run Spybot and Malwarebytes.

I also run Malwarebyres, A-Squared free, and Ad-Aware. A-Squared takes a helluva long time to download any updates, but seems to be quite good as it also scans for viruses.

I don't have any problems with my AVG 9, but then I schedule it to run at 4 am when I'm asleep.