PDA

View Full Version : Donington owner Tom Wheatcroft dies

ArrowsFA1
1st November 2009, 14:45
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79938

Tom Wheatcroft, the man who revived Donington Park as a motor-racing venue in the 1970s, died yesterday after a long illness.
Lifelong motor-racing fan, Wheatcroft was a regular at Donington during the 1930s, witnessing the clashes between Auto Union and Mercedes-Benz grand prix cars, and after making a fortune in construction and property he acquired the park in 1971.
Wheatcroft passed away peacefully at 10:30 yesterday morning at home with his family. Motorsport fans the world over will mourn the man they have to thank for bringing one of the world's most famous circuits back to life.

RIP

Dave B
1st November 2009, 14:54
He will rightly be remembered for the invaluable contribution he made to British motorsport, and I believe it's important to remember that the recent debacle was nothing to do with him.

Robinho
1st November 2009, 14:58
sad news, must have been gutting to see the debacle with Donington this last few months after all the work he did for the place over the last 40 odd years. i hope Donington can rise up from this and complete some/all of the planned work over the next few years and become the world class facility it could be

UltimateDanGTR
1st November 2009, 14:59
its a shame other people have made such a mess of his no doubt great pride-donnington park.

Rest in Peace, and huge thanks for reviving what is now one of britains best tracks, turning it into a great racing venue.

DazzlaF1
1st November 2009, 16:45
How sad his passing co-incides with the circuit he spent the majority of his life nurturing resembling a pig-sty after the recent debacle.

Here's hoping the problems can be sorted out for his sake, a top class racing facility is the only thing worthy of his legacy.

RIP

BeansBeansBeans
1st November 2009, 17:03
I'm something of an agnostic but I hope that he's up there somewhere getting re-acquainted with Roger.

Dave B
1st November 2009, 17:44
Excellent article from Joe Saward here:
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/tom-wheatcroft/

Wasted Talent
1st November 2009, 19:37
He will rightly be remembered for the invaluable contribution he made to British motorsport, and I believe it's important to remember that the recent debacle was nothing to do with him.

Very true

RIP

DazzlaF1
1st November 2009, 21:19
Very true

RIP

Indeed, all of his hard work is now being made to look like a laugh thanks to Simon Gillett and his cronies, what a disgrace.

The news of him being awarded the 1993 European GP (where Senna produced arguably his greatest ever performance) seems like a long time ago now :(

1st November 2009, 21:23

Amen

BDunnell
1st November 2009, 22:44
How sad his passing co-incides with the circuit he spent the majority of his life nurturing resembling a pig-sty after the recent debacle.

Here's hoping the problems can be sorted out for his sake, a top class racing facility is the only thing worthy of his legacy.

Quite right. I can't add anything to that.

wedge
1st November 2009, 23:00
RIP

A great contributor to British motorsport.

The museum sited next to the circuit is well a worth a visit. Quite simply thee most amazing collection of F1 cars amassed in one building was acquired and by none other than Wheatcroft and shares his passion to the general public.

AndyRAC
2nd November 2009, 08:24
Such sad news; all his hard work in getting Donington back to a racing facility, and the dream finally realised of a GP. And now, others have ruined what he built up....

RIP Tom.

ArrowsFA1
2nd November 2009, 08:26
I'm something of an agnostic but I hope that he's up there somewhere getting re-acquainted with Roger.
A nice thought :up:

ClarkFan
2nd November 2009, 18:36
A shame he had to see his track dragged through that without getting a chance to set it right himself. The best memorial would be to get Donington put back into proper shape, with or without a GP date.

ClarkFan

V12
2nd November 2009, 18:49
Everyone has already said what I wanted to say - can't add anything more.

R.I.P.