http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=350683

harvick#1
29th October 2009, 23:59
:( RIP Greg

his time came way too early

garyshell
30th October 2009, 00:35
Thanks Wedge.

That article should be required reading for every fan. I have my own personal fond memories of two one on one encounters with Greg. He was the classiest most friendly guy.

Gary

Hoop-98
30th October 2009, 00:37
RIP , may the 99 be on the pole in the big oval in the sky...

Easy Drifter
30th October 2009, 00:46
What many do not know was that his father Ric was also a racer.
A great tribute to him.

Jag_Warrior
30th October 2009, 00:52
In some ways, it seems like it's been a lot longer than 10 years - so much has happened. In other ways, it doesn't seem like it's been nearly that long ago.

R.I.P. Greg.

SarahFan
30th October 2009, 01:24
I was in the grandstands sitting with some friends.... lowest of lows..

I've wondered from time to time what the landscape of AOWR would be today had the accident not happened...

would penske have still headed to the IRL with a canadian star and the canadian races being on the CC schedule?

hmmmm.....

EagleEye
30th October 2009, 01:27
Since the passing of Greg Moore

:(

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=350683

One of the longest days. I will never forget the gathering in the garage area, with Father Phil and Greg's dad late in the day after the race. We all were one, feeling and sharing the pain.

fugariracing
30th October 2009, 01:32
I spent several months working on this and it was very much a struggle and a challenge to write.

It seems like such a long time for me as its been half my life. I was 10 when it happened and I rarely get emotional about things, but when it all happened I was so gutted watching on TV. Still cried about it at parts when writing this.

Mainly, wanted to avoid the accident as much as possible - 1999 was a tough enough year with the Rodriguez fatal accident and then Walter Payton died the day after Greg did.

Sure, you wonder what the OW landscape could have been. But I don't want this thread to worry or concern itself with that. Mainly just about the memories.

From that time in the Long Beach airport, I'd always liked him but that really transformed me. How genuine he was with everyone, regardless of who they were, I think was spectacular.

-TDZ

garyshell
30th October 2009, 01:43
Tony,

What a fabulous article about such a tragic event for all of us. Thank you!

Gary

SarahFan
30th October 2009, 01:45
It's Funny the things that stick out....

Anyone else remember him playing 31 with his crew during the rain delay at road America

maxmach
30th October 2009, 03:06
I never met him personally
Always liked him from the time I knew about him...
Life is not fair, it will never be fair, remember the good, the bright, the talented, let the rest go

garyshell
30th October 2009, 03:48
It's Funny the things that stick out....

Anyone else remember him playing 31 with his crew during the rain delay at road America

My first encounter with Greg was at MidOhio at a CART race. As I was walking through the garage area I looked in his garage noticing that his crew was working on his car. Sitting on the table was Greg, back against the wall, knees up almost under his chin. Rather than heading off to his trailer or some comfy spot, he chose to be there with his team. I leaned in to the garage and asked why he was still there and I wish I could remember his exact words, but it was something along the line of... if my guys are here I owe to them to stay behind for moral support or to fetch water for them. That moment spoke volumes about who he was. I spent a few more minutes talking to him since he was so easily approached.

Gary

garyshell
30th October 2009, 04:35
Max Papis just tweeted a link to a story that I thought I'd share here:

http://www.canada.com/sports/years+tears+Greg+Moore+friends+family/2158385/story.html

Another fine tribute to Greg. The bit about the red gloves Max wears is so friggin' cool. Way to go Max!

Max also sent a link to Tony DiZinno's story as well.

Gary

woody2goody
30th October 2009, 12:36
RIP Greg, not forgotten ten years on.

milwaukeefan
30th October 2009, 18:29
GREAT articles. That was the saddest day of racing I remember. I loved watching Greg race.

He made me look like I knew what I was talking about once - I brought some non-racing fans to the Milwaukee race and picked him pre-race to have his first win that day, and he did!

And Max is awesome for insisting on the red gloves.

RIP Greg

garyshell
30th October 2009, 21:18
And Max is awesome for insisting on the red gloves.

I know, I just want to go plant a big kiss on his cheek for it. Being an Italian, he would totally understand that sentiment.

Gary

994ever
30th October 2009, 23:58
Greg was special. When I think about it and everything we lost that day it still feels like a fresh wound.

R.I.P.

V12
31st October 2009, 01:32
10 years already (!!!!) seems like only yesterday I'd sat down in front of the telly as a fresh faced 16 year old with a pack of beer and plenty of munchies ready to watch Juan and Dario (each of whom I had (and have) a soft spot for, even if I was rooting for Dario ultimately) to do battle for the title over the next 3 hours. Of course for most of that time what was happening on the track became an irrelevance.

RIP Greg.

TURN3
31st October 2009, 02:30
The memories I have of that day are absolutely chilling. I'd had many encounters with Greg. Although he never remembered my name, every race I went to he knew my face. At MIS, after spinning wildly out of turn 2 and saving it, his Mercedes blew shortly thereafter. My GF at the time was crushed and raced to the infield to see him. He invited us into his hospitality area and literally made us feel like we were friends. I sat in the stands at Fontana that day and as the crash happened I immediately realized how simliar to that spin and save at MIS. I wish that day never happened, I lost a friend that day. He touched so many people in such a short time, the mark a true champion and a real hero.

Yesman
31st October 2009, 02:41
Greg was brilliant. He was my favourite Cart driver of the late 90's. Such a shame. You just knew he was going be a big star in the future. I think everyone is gonna remember him.

Placid
31st October 2009, 06:12
Who would have thought he had to go this early in his career.

I wish we would have seen him in an F1 car

DBell
31st October 2009, 13:07
It's hard to believe it's been 10 years. I was still living in Phoenix then and was going to attend the race in Fontana. Something with my job came up and I couldn't go to California that weekend. I was really mad about not being able to go until I watched the race that Sunday. Only time I was glad to miss a race I had planned to attend.

RIP Greg and I hope your family is doing well.

gm99
31st October 2009, 18:54
I think it is a testimony to Greg's character and racing ability that ten years on, people still remember him so fondly, as this thread clearly shows.

To me, Champ Car racing has never been the same again after Greg lost his life and I am very sad that he never got the chance to compete in the Indy 500, as I am sure that if he had, his face would be on the Borg-Warner trophy several times over.

So Godspeed Greg, we miss you!

Mark in Oshawa
1st November 2009, 07:37
I remember that day as the day I almost gave up on this sport. Watching the race with tears in my eyes as the announcers told us on TV that we lost Greg Moore. I watched Greg as a kid coming up through the F1600 series here in Canada driving the 99 his Dad sponsored. I remember seeing him all over the place at Mosport, always a happy-go-lucky sort of guy, I remember him kicking butt at the street race in Halifax, and I remember him just in general for being a good man first, and a good driver as well.

It is a tribute that the international community of drivers he brought to be his buddies and the beautiful Ashley Judd he hooked up with his bud Dario have never forgotten him. Ashley contacting Ric at home when Dario sewed up the championship, the pranks Kanaan pulls and Max's Red gloves are all bits of Greg.

We have lost a few great names in racing in the last 30 years, but none hurt as much as Greg Moore, because Dario pointed out, he was 10 times a better man than he was a racer, and he was a damned good racer....

I must remember to dig out my Tragically Hip CD's and give Courage a listen.....