PDA

View Full Version : Homestead Rating...

SarahFan
29th October 2009, 16:26

http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2009/10/29/irl-tv-viewership-down-28-percent/PARAMS/post/10811

SarahFan
29th October 2009, 16:33
season update

Rtg (H-holds) Ntwk Race

0.3 (233,000) VS St. Pete
0.5 (388,864) VS Long Beach
.15 (171,000) VS Kansas
4.0 (???,???) ABC Indy 500
0.7 (852,000) ABC Milwaukee
.36 (467,000) VS Texas
0.8 (???,???) ABC Iowa
.22 (248,000) VS Richmond
.87 (???,???) ABC Watkins Glen
1.0 (770,000) ABC Toronto (overnight)
.24 (279,000) VS Edmonton
.14 (165,000) VS Kentucky
0.2 (233,000) VS Mid-Ohio
.25 (281,000) VS Sonoma
.24 (271,000) VS Chicagoland
.14 (165,000) VS Motegi
.15 (171,000) Vs Homestead

10.26 YTD with Indy... or a .603 average

6.26 without Indy.... or a .39 average

2.89 on Versus...or a .24 average

SarahFan
29th October 2009, 16:34
posted so there will be a comprehensive comparison for 2010 ratings

MDS
29th October 2009, 17:40
I tried a couple of ways to find positive ways to spin the ratings to a potential sponsor and couldn't come up with any. The fact that the first races started with a .3 on the first two races and dropped to a .15 for the last two races is really a killer. Had they started with .3 and ended with .5, you could sell growth, but you don't have that here.

Shy of having anything good to report the only thing I could spin to a sponsor is a potential NBC Comcast deal and the likeliness 3-4 more races could be on broadcast television and with the buy in from a major network would boost the IRL's ratings in 2010 and beyond, so you might as well sign a 3-year deal now, knowing the price goes up once Comcast/NBC deal goes through and the long-term outlook is much brighter.

On the bright side though a Comcast/NBC deal appears to be getting closer and could be announced by the end of the month. If that happens I expect that Comcast will bring the IRL, at least in part, to NBC.

MDS
29th October 2009, 19:13
I mean the end of next month, not Saturday

anthonyvop
30th October 2009, 01:30
I expect that Comcast will bring the IRL, at least in part, to NBC.
Why do you expect that? NBC already has a pretty full sports lineup. If they were to take anything from Vs to NBC logic dictates their higher rated shows. MMA and Rodeo

MDS
30th October 2009, 02:11
Why do you expect that? NBC already has a pretty full sports lineup. If they were to take anything from Vs to NBC logic dictates their higher rated shows. MMA and Rodeo

Basically my thinking is that Comcast has invested enough money into getting the series that it makes sense to cross-promote the IRL. It makes little sense to have a multi-layered platform and not fully use that platform to promote all of your assets, especially if a Comcast owned NBC picks up the Indy 500 from ABC when that contract runs out. It doesn't make sense for the whole thing to not be packaged together with a half dozen races on NBC and the rest on Versus. It's not about what has the greatest ratings today, but what has the best growth potential.

anthonyvop
30th October 2009, 13:16
Basically my thinking is that Comcast has invested enough money into getting the series that it makes sense to cross-promote the IRL. It makes little sense to have a multi-layered platform and not fully use that platform to promote all of your assets, especially if a Comcast owned NBC picks up the Indy 500 from ABC when that contract runs out. It doesn't make sense for the whole thing to not be packaged together with a half dozen races on NBC and the rest on Versus. It's not about what has the greatest ratings today, but what has the best growth potential.
ABC/ESPN does it all the time. Their are many sports/events that are on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN Classic....ect that never see the light of day on ABC.

They are going to put on what they believe will draw viewers in their target demo. Right now the IRL isn't it.

MDS
30th October 2009, 14:23
I'm being positive

anthonyvop
30th October 2009, 20:10
So you are saying that you believe, should a Comcast buy out of NBC (or controlling interest in) happen, that Indy will only be shown on Versus?
Depends on ABC/ESPN. If NBC can get the Indy 500 then I would expect them to put it on their network. If not...I see no reason for them to broadcast ICS races on their network.

NickFalzone
30th October 2009, 20:30
If a big goal of Comcast/NBC is to grow their cable channel VS into an ESPN competitor, than it only makes sense that they will run a variety of VS promos on the channel along with "Versus on NBC" type events, whether it's IRL, Tour De France, or NHL. I don't see Pro Bull Riding or WEC getting on NBC, regardless of their VS ratings, because they're not thought of as classy enough for the network.

anthonyvop
31st October 2009, 05:40
If a big goal of Comcast/NBC is to grow their cable channel VS into an ESPN competitor, than it only makes sense that they will run a variety of VS promos on the channel along with "Versus on NBC" type events, whether it's IRL, Tour De France, or NHL.
Why does it make sense?
It makes sense for NBC to broadcast shows that will bring in ratings # that will attract sponsor $$$$.

I don't see Pro Bull Riding or WEC getting on NBC, regardless of their VS ratings, because they're not thought of as classy enough for the network.

Hate to disappoint ya but the Professional Bull Riders(PBR) World Finals will be on NBC. SO I guess it is classy enough.

http://www.pbrnow.com/MEDIA/TV/

Cart750hp
31st October 2009, 06:06
Why does it make sense?
It makes sense for NBC to broadcast shows that will bring in ratings # that will attract sponsor $$$$.

NBC have UniversalSports and it would make sense to promote IRL/VS as well as NBC/US. Cycling's two of the three grand tours (Giro D'Italia & Vuelta A Espana) are in NBC/Universal Sports and most likely be at NBC for next year. NBC doesn't have a full schedule of big time sports and the addition of IRL would most likely be better than fighting for 3AM delay slot on ESPN42/ABC, or Fox or even CBS. It's a wishful thinking but it would make sense.

Hate to disappoint ya but the Professional Bull Riders(PBR) World Finals will be on NBC. SO I guess it is classy enough.

Haha! There is something about this Pro Bull Riders thing...When Champ Car was at CBS, Champ Car gets delayed just because of these cowboys being kicked in the ... by the bull. When CC went to Spike, same thing. Those Bulls really have something with CC. It would be funny to see IRL with those Bulls again.

DBell
31st October 2009, 13:22
If a big goal of Comcast/NBC is to grow their cable channel VS into an ESPN competitor, than it only makes sense that they will run a variety of VS promos on the channel along with "Versus on NBC" type events, whether it's IRL, Tour De France, or NHL. I don't see Pro Bull Riding or WEC getting on NBC, regardless of their VS ratings, because they're not thought of as classy enough for the network.

Considering NBC's position in the television at the moment, I think if it drew eyeballs to TV screens they would show it, regardless of how classy they felt it was. The question still remains of whether Indycar in it's current form is capable of drawing significant ratings. It hasn't demonstrated that ability so far.

MDS
31st October 2009, 14:38
DBell,

I could be just wrongly optimistic here but I have to think if you look at the pre-split CART when Indy was routinely pulling in 12 + ratings and most races were pulling in a 1 to 2.+ there is no reason to think that a unified ICS with a dedicated broadcast partner like NBC and Versus couldn't reach at least half that, which would be a success in this media market, again.

Also, Versus is contracted to at least a dozen Saturday and Sunday afternoon for the next nine years. Prime time they contractually can't fill will more popular spillover programming from NBC, such as the Olympics, Golf, Tennis, so it makes no sense to not get the 500 from ABC, which the ICS would be crazy not to give them, and promote the whole thing in house.

Jag_Warrior
31st October 2009, 17:16
Considering NBC's position in the television at the moment, I think if it drew eyeballs to TV screens they would show it, regardless of how classy they felt it was. The question still remains of whether Indycar in it's current form is capable of drawing significant ratings. It hasn't demonstrated that ability so far.

From the looks of it, there might be an open time slot at 10PM ET on NBC: M-F! The IRL could have a nightly show. Say, can Danica tell jokes? Can Marco play an instrument?

-Helix-
31st October 2009, 19:47
Its funny how the ratings drop off after the first half so much. After Toronto there aren't really any interesting races. They really need to bring back Michigan or California and Road America to get people to keep tuning in.

More exciting championship runs would be pretty helpful too.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd November 2009, 00:26
Its funny how the ratings drop off after the first half so much. After Toronto there aren't really any interesting races. They really need to bring back Michigan or California and Road America to get people to keep tuning in.

I think it is also part and parcel of the competition for viewers. NASCAR is getting more interesting come summer. Baseball picks up as does the NFL come the end of August. I think a lot of the tailing off is just the sheer weight of choices people have in sports and contrary to popular belief, the average sports fan isn't loyal to any one form of racing. NASCAR get's the lion's share of people wanting racing but they too fight for attention once NFL training camp gets going....that is why they created their "Chase"

SarahFan
9th November 2009, 18:23
season update

Rtg (H-holds) Ntwk Race

0.3 (233,000) VS St. Pete
0.5 (388,864) VS Long Beach
.15 (171,000) VS Kansas
4.0 (???,???) ABC Indy 500
0.7 (852,000) ABC Milwaukee
.36 (467,000) VS Texas
0.8 (???,???) ABC Iowa
.22 (248,000) VS Richmond
.87 (???,???) ABC Watkins Glen
1.0 (770,000) ABC Toronto (overnight)
.24 (279,000) VS Edmonton
.14 (165,000) VS Kentucky
0.2 (233,000) VS Mid-Ohio
.25 (281,000) VS Sonoma
.24 (271,000) VS Chicagoland
.14 (165,000) VS Motegi
.15 (171,000) Vs Homestead

10.26 YTD with Indy... or a .603 average

6.26 without Indy.... or a .39 average

2.89 on Versus...or a .24 average

CART 1995 ratings

3/5 Miami ABC 2.7
3/19 Australia ABC 2.2
4/2 Phoenix ABC 3.1
4/9 Long Beach ABC 2.9
4/23 Nazareth ABC 2.9
5/28 Indy 500 ABC 8.4/26 (9.4/28 race only)
6/4 Milwaukee ABC 2.2
6/11 Detroit ABC 3.3
6/25 Portland ESPN 1.7
7/9 Road America ESPN 1.0
7/16 Toronto ABC 2.6
7/23 Cleveland ABC 2.3
7/30 Michigan ABC 4.0
8/13 Mid-Ohio ABC 2.5
8/20 New Hampshire ESPN 0.6
9/3 Vancouver ESPN 1.4
9/10 Laguna Seca ESPN 0.7

45.5YTD with Indy...or a 2.67avg
36.1 YTD without Indy..... or a 2.26 verage
5.4 on ESPN or a.... 1.08 average

indyracefan
9th November 2009, 19:00

Three drivers needing the conclusion of the last race to decide the championship, not sure how it could get any more exciting. Unless of course you're meaning other teams other than Penske & Ganassi going for the championship. What I was disappointed with at Homestead was that Dario was able to win on a fuel mileage strategy when clearly he didn't have the fastest car.

I'm in agreement that MIS & RA need to be on the schedule, California not so much.