PDA

View Full Version : A fall Indy 400?

MDS
29th October 2009, 15:02
This is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Why not either use the road course or host a 400 mile oval race at Indy? It would add another high-value event to the schedule and potentially add more profits to IMS, which funds the IRL anyway.

Seriously, use the road course, put $1 million up for the winner, and have yourself a big fall event, something that is missing from the schedule.

SarahFan
29th October 2009, 15:06
This is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Why not either use the road course or host a 400 mile oval race at Indy? It would add another high-value event to the schedule and potentially add more profits to IMS, which funds the IRL anyway.

Seriously, use the road course, put $1 million up for the winner, and have yourself a big fall event, something that is missing from the schedule.

makes more sense than Brazil or China

dataman1
29th October 2009, 15:06

I'd buy a ticket.

EagleEye
29th October 2009, 16:39

I agree. Maybe start or end the season in Indy on the road course with a series of events. Maybe even a road race, and short 100-200 mile oval sprint race.

That or look to do something the Saturday before the 500, or month of May. I know turning the cars over would be hell on the teams, but having something early saturday (push the parade out) might be attractive to those that are already there for the 500. Move the final practice to Sat. evening. Practice, qual and pitstop practice Friday.

Pick any number you use for the 500 attendance, and sell tickets at $20-50. 200Kx $25>>> $5 million and even a $1.5 million purse might make up for the time spent for turning the cars.

Daytona "Speedweeks" are nice as you get a ton of racing over a period of time. 24 hour race, shootouts, practice, qual, etc. Multiple events would also garner more press leading up to the 500.

SarahFan
29th October 2009, 16:50
I agree. Maybe start or end the season in Indy on the road course with a series of events. Maybe even a road race, and short 100-200 mile oval sprint race.

That or look to do something the Saturday before the 500, or month of May. I know turning the cars over would be hell on the teams, but having something early saturday (push the parade out) might be attractive to those that are already there for the 500. Move the final practice to Sat. evening. Practice, qual and pitstop practice Friday.

Pick any number you use for the 500 attendance, and sell tickets at $20-50. 200Kx $25>>> $5 million and even a $1.5 million purse might make up for the time spent for turning the cars.

Daytona "Speedweeks" are nice as you get a ton of racing over a period of time. 24 hour race, shootouts, practice, qual, etc. Multiple events would also garner more press leading up to the 500.

any and or all of that sounds like a hell of an idea....right now IMS is by the AOWR biggest asset.... useing it more sure seems like a no brainer to me

bblocker68
29th October 2009, 17:26
I'd love to see that!

Jag_Warrior
29th October 2009, 20:06

Yes! Combining what you and MDS have posted, create some sort of week long series of events. Do it in Indy and make it as fan friendly as possible. Try to create some of the (general) media and fan buzz that used to surround Indy Car events. But don't just make it a one year, make or break thing. Build it. Be devoted to it longer term.

NickFalzone
30th October 2009, 05:25
Yes! Combining what you and MDS have posted, create some sort of week long series of events. Do it in Indy and make it as fan friendly as possible. Try to create some of the (general) media and fan buzz that used to surround Indy Car events. But don't just make it a one year, make or break thing. Build it. Be devoted to it longer term.

Some callers suggested something along those lines to Kevin on Trackside radio. They read a bunch of emails about "how to improve the IndyCar series" tonight. Also spoke with Paul Tracy:

http://www.1070thefan.com/trackside/podcast.aspx

I think what the IRL needs is an exhibition event, an "all star" type race that runs in the fall. It should have a good $$ award for the winner. And it should take place over the course of 2-3 "race days". A qualifying day, and a road course day, and an oval day. I don't know how all the logistics of this would work, or the expenses. I think for the broadcast, they would actually air the road course race in a shortened tape delay prior to the live 100-200 mile oval race. A good 3 hour or so tv package. The results from your road course race will play into where you qualify on the oval. Could be a cool event esp without all the points in consideration, a different strategy would be in play.

call_me_andrew
31st October 2009, 05:30
No No No No No No No

We do not need another ICS event at Indy. Without the name power of the 500 behind it, an ICS at Indy will only draw 40,000 (high estimate) at a track that seats 200,000. I'm sorry, but I can't make that look good on television.

Cart750hp
31st October 2009, 06:28
Some callers suggested something along those lines to Kevin on Trackside radio. They read a bunch of emails about "how to improve the IndyCar series" tonight. Also spoke with Paul Tracy:

http://www.1070thefan.com/trackside/podcast.aspx

I think what the IRL needs is an exhibition event, an "all star" type race that runs in the fall. It should have a good $$ award for the winner. And it should take place over the course of 2-3 "race days". A qualifying day, and a road course day, and an oval day. I don't know how all the logistics of this would work, or the expenses. I think for the broadcast, they would actually air the road course race in a shortened tape delay prior to the live 100-200 mile oval race. A good 3 hour or so tv package. The results from your road course race will play into where you qualify on the oval. Could be a cool event esp without all the points in consideration, a different strategy would be in play.

First of all, IRL needs a lot, I mean a lot of money to start with. Second thing would be the marketing on how to promote the series. Back in the 90's OpenWheel was pretty much was at the top because racing back then wasn't that complicated. Complicated in a way that when CART was around, their races were diversed. They had the idea of oval, night races, road, street, airports....you name it. And fans back then loved it and that was the best idea. Formula 1 was stuck in Europe and NASCAR was just doing same old same old and these two were not that close to how CART was popular in US. The split came and that put a dagger on the Open Wheel. NASCAR and Formula One took advantage of the split and used similar strategy that CART once was its secret weapon. Now that these split is over...a bit too late to use the old ways coz the other two have taken the spot. MotoGP, Rolex, GP2, NHRA, LeMans...etc....there are too many out there to choose from and too little chance of attracting new fans. Look at this forum alone.

Anyhow, IRL better come up with tons of cash, a good plan for the series and better exposure.

Just my opinion of course.

SarahFan
31st October 2009, 14:16
how much would an additional event at INDY cost the league and teams?

I would assume that IMS would be in the black...

league and teams have already spread administrative costs over 17 events.....adding an 18th can't much more than travel and raceweekend expensives (tires, fuel, parts etc)

so how much?

Mark in Oshawa
1st November 2009, 07:42
I think it is a gamble fraught with peril. On the surface, it sounds great. Put over 150000 in there if they run the road course or maybe get 200000 plus for a 400 in the fall...BUT..what if it doesn't get the attendance? Then what?

This is a decision that will make or break the IRL in a serious way. Dilute the meaning and the impact of the 500 at your peril. It is your last jewel. The last bullet in the chamber. Put up another race on the same track later in the year...and you may or may not make the 500 less than what it is.

That said, NASCAR gets away with two dates at lot of its big tracks, so it CAN be done...but I just worry about diluting the jewel of the whole thing.

The 500 is the oldest and most special race maybe on earth. To run something similar just a bit shorter on the same track doesn't do it for me.......

SarahFan
1st November 2009, 14:26
I think it is a gamble fraught with peril. On the surface, it sounds great. Put over 150000 in there if they run the road course or maybe get 200000 plus for a 400 in the fall...BUT..what if it doesn't get the attendance? Then what?

This is a decision that will make or break the IRL in a serious way. Dilute the meaning and the impact of the 500 at your peril. It is your last jewel. The last bullet in the chamber. Put up another race on the same track later in the year...and you may or may not make the 500 less than what it is.

That said, NASCAR gets away with two dates at lot of its big tracks, so it CAN be done...but I just worry about diluting the jewel of the whole thing.

The 500 is the oldest and most special race maybe on earth. To run something similar just a bit shorter on the same track doesn't do it for me.......

it was diluted the day tony let the cabs in....

ClarkFan
1st November 2009, 16:02

The 500 is the oldest and most special race maybe on earth. To run something similar just a bi't shorter on the same track doesn't do it for me.......
OK, run the season finale on the roval course. It can't possibly get any less attention than the IRL does now - 0 really is a lower bound for both attendance and ratings.

And if the race doen't perk up attendance and ratings, the IRL has really, truly failed. But where the IRL is today already represents failure. On its current trajectory, the series won't survive 2010, if it makes it through the full 2010 season.

ClarkFan

Jag_Warrior
1st November 2009, 18:40
it was diluted the day tony let the cabs in....

Yeah, that^. And especially considering that Indy ran F1, now runs motorcycles and pretty soon (I'm guessing) will run Grand Am cars, I really don't see the risk to the "good name" of the track by adding another race for the IRL. In fact, if the Grand Am race takes place, I'd be surprise to see the IRL not there that weekend for a road course race as well. It's just a question of whether they'll make it an EVENT or just another race.

Mark in Oshawa
1st November 2009, 23:20
Maybe so. As for letting the taxicabs into Indy being a bad idea, the IRL needed that revenue that that race generated. Ditto with the f1 experiment. Tony George let the barbarians in to get the money to finance his money losing IRL which at the time was being run with 2nd and 3rd rate CART equipment with drivers equally distinguished. It wasn't til 2000 that the tide turned....

SarahFan
2nd November 2009, 00:23
Maybe so. As for letting the taxicabs into Indy being a bad idea, the IRL needed that revenue that that race generated. Ditto with the f1 experiment. Tony George let the barbarians in to get the money to finance his money losing IRL which at the time was being run with 2nd and 3rd rate CART equipment with drivers equally distinguished. It wasn't til 2000 that the tide turned....

Link

champcarray
4th November 2009, 16:01
I really like the proposed "speed week" concept. I think it would be great to have the Indy Cars AND Indy Lights race the road course in advance of the Indy 500. Wether that's the day before, a week before, or a month before is up to the powers that be.

ClarkFan
4th November 2009, 16:32
I really like the proposed "speed week" concept. I think it would be great to have the Indy Cars AND Indy Lights race the road course in advance of the Indy 500. Wether that's the day before, a week before, or a month before is up to the powers that be.
I think it makes more sense to use the IMS road track as a season ender. Right now, the season ends with an absolute whimper. The final race, the champion crowned, and no is watching in the stands or on TV. Putting the final race at IMS would give a better chance to draw a reasonable live crowd and move the ratings dial a little, so "Who won the IndyCar championship in 20xx?" isn't a question that only a select few can answer.

ClarkFan

EagleEye
4th November 2009, 16:54
I think it makes more sense to use the IMS road track as a season ender. Right now, the season ends with an absolute whimper. The final race, the champion crowned, and no is watching in the stands or on TV. Putting the final race at IMS would give a better chance to draw a reasonable live crowd and move the ratings dial a little, so "Who won the IndyCar championship in 20xx?" isn't a question that only a select few can answer.

ClarkFan

Adding another date (Fall) would depend on the cost to operate the speedway for the weekend versus the expected attendance.

There are two thoughts on this. Some say another event would not draw more than 50K-100k, based on the fact there are so many races within driving distance in the Mid West (Kentucky, Chicagoland, Mid-O). Others think it might draw more.

Why I like the "speedweek concept" is that you have a large crowd in town for the 500 weekend already. Other than the public driver's meeting (which is not the actual drivers meeting) there is nothing going on at the track.

Have an event Saturday, at a price where you can get 75% of those who will be there Sunday, and you have the second largest IRL race of the year!

Even doing something at the start of the month might attract more people to practice and quals. The two most well attended events during the month of May have been race day and carb day.

A fall race could work if they were able to get a large crowd, which seems to be a difficult task once Football starts. An early spring race might have weather issues.

Claus Hansen
4th November 2009, 21:21
Arent some teams based in Indy area, making the race a kind a home race ? I think its a no brainer, put in ALMS, or Grand Am and AMA superbike, make and event out of it...

nigelred5
5th November 2009, 00:31
Yeah, that^. And especially considering that Indy ran F1, now runs motorcycles and pretty soon (I'm guessing) will run Grand Am cars, I really don't see the risk to the "good name" of the track by adding another race for the IRL. In fact, if the Grand Am race takes place, I'd be surprise to see the IRL not there that weekend for a road course race as well. It's just a question of whether they'll make it an EVENT or just another race.

I always assumed the Grand Am test was likely to feel out the possibility of a combined IRL/GA race weekend at the Brickyard. Certainly Grand Am could never draw enough of a weekend crowd alone to even pay the concession employees.

Chamoo
5th November 2009, 01:46
I think the Grand-AM's fell out of favor with IMS at some point, otherwise IMS would had been on their 2010 schedule.

I still feel ALMS would be a much better fit. The highest technologically advanced cars in North America fits right in with IMS, and they are simply more fun to watch.

call_me_andrew
5th November 2009, 02:23
Maybe IMS should host the SCCA runoffs.

Jag_Warrior
5th November 2009, 03:42
I think the Grand-AM's fell out of favor with IMS at some point, otherwise IMS would had been on their 2010 schedule.

I don't think that 2010 was ever in the cards. They just did the test a little over a month ago.

Chamoo
5th November 2009, 17:03
I don't think that 2010 was ever in the cards. They just did the test a little over a month ago.

I disagree. I think GA wanted to be on the road course badly at IMS in 2010. They wanted that track badly, and the sooner the better.

Jag_Warrior
5th November 2009, 19:07
I disagree. I think GA wanted to be on the road course badly at IMS in 2010. They wanted that track badly, and the sooner the better.

That's possible. And Grand Am may be in a "sooner the better" mode. I'm not a Grand Am insider so I don't know. But the G/A schedule was due to be released in early October (and it was), yet the IMS test didn't take place until September. I can't imagine that would have provided enough time to do anything other than put a TBA on the schedule.

Plus, here's what was said shortly after the Grand Am test at IMS:

Indianapolis – Do not assume that this week’s test of the infield road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway means that holding a Rolex Grand-American Series race at the world’s most famous track is a done deal.
But also do not rule out the possibility of a sports car race at IMS.

“Right now, we are not looking at it,” IMS spokesman Ron Green said of racing Grand-Am cars at Indy. “But, we have had unofficial talks about it for years with Grand-Am. I think they’d like to come. This test opens the door to that possibility at least.”

Could happen, Green said. Perhaps as early as the centennial celebration at IMS in 2011. Perhaps with a true endurance race.

“The test served its purpose,” Green said. “It was a compatibility test.”

http://www.racintoday.com/archives/9583

When I heard about the test, I just never heard anyone from G/A say anything about 2010, and based on Green's comments, there's no reason why they should have. But like I said, I don't know.

indyracefan
6th November 2009, 04:49
I would be all for an autumn IndyCar race at IMS, and it wouldn't matter to me whether it was an oval race or a road-course race.

DBell
6th November 2009, 05:02
Maybe IMS should host the SCCA runoffs.

That would be the best racing the Speedway has seen this year. Imho.