PDA

View Full Version : Moto2 buildup and speculation

patnicholls
29th October 2009, 13:27
Well folks, as we prepare for the final round of the season it'll also be the last ever (for now) 250cc Grand Prix. Kind of sad but we also have a lot to look forward too, with Moto2 set to launch for 2010.

We also have the official announcement of the teams list here:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2009/moto2+announcement

and things are set to start being confirmed over the coming weekend in fact.

In the time-honoured style, how about a few rumours? At present we know exceedingly little about which teams are using which chassis (indeed, which chassis are available!) and which riders might be aboard. But here's the list with some mostly-speculation-and-a-couple-of-rumours-or-informed-guessing-by-me included. At times like this we could do with Matt showing up again, he might know something! :)

-----

(text from MotoGP site)

The Selection Committee comprising delegates of the FIM, Dorna and IRTA met on the 2nd October in Estoril to select the teams which will be invited to participate in 2010.

"Teams comprising a total of 39 riders were accepted. Teams comprising a total of 10 riders were placed on a reserve list. A detailed list is reproduced below.

Accepted teams now have until the 2nd of November to finally confirm the names of their riders and to lodge a security deposit with IRTA. Should any of the accepted teams propose riders not acceptable to the Committee, or if the security deposit is not paid, then consideration will be given to the teams on the reserve list.

It should be noted that no team applied to participate with 250cc class machines meaning that the entire 2010 grid will be comprised of Moto2 class machines."

Accepted Teams and number of entries accepted (reserve entries in brackets):

AJO MOTORSPORT (FTR chassis?): 1 (1) - Cortese?
BALATON RACING TEAM 250: 1 - Nemeth/Talmasci/Angel Rodriguez?
CAMPETELLA RACING: 1
CARDION AB MOTORACING: 1 - Abraham
CIP MOTO - GP250: 1 (1) - Tomizawa/Debise
EMMI - CAFFE LATTE: 1 - Luthi/Pasini/Pesek
G22 RACING TEAM (FTR): 2
HAYATE RACING TEAM: 2
HONDA GRESINI (MORIWAKI?): 2 - Elias?/de Angelis?
JIR: 2 - Ayrton Badovini?
KINO RACING: 1 (1)
MAPFRE ASPAR TEAM: 2 - Julian Simon & di Meglio
MATTEONI RACING: 1 (1) - Cluzel?
PONS RACING PEPE WORLD (KALEX): 2
PRAMAC RACING: 2 - Canepa?
RACING TEAM BY QUERESENO: 2 - Debon & Daniel Rivas (current Blusens-sponsored team)
RACING TEAM GERMANY (FTR?): 1 (1) - S. Aoyama
SCOT RACING TEAM 250 (MORIWAKI?): 2 - Talmacsi & de Rosa
SPEEDUP APRILIA: 2 - Talmacsi & Locatelli (ex-Gilera team run by Luca Boscoscuro, I think it's this one?)
SPRINT TECNOLOGY RACING: 2
STOP AND GO RACING TEAM S.L.(FTR?): 2 - Wilairot & Faubel
TEAM ROBERTS: 2
TECH 3 (TECH3?): 2 - de Angelis/Canepa/Takahashi/de Rosa/Cluzel (interview with Herve linked at motomatters.com)
VIESSMANN KIEFER RACING: 1 (1) - Stefan Bradl
WTR SAN MARINO TEAM: 1 - Alex Baldolini

SUB TOTAL: 39 (6)

Reserve Teams:
MZ: 2
PROMORACING: 2 - Olive (team backed by Antonio Banderas!)
SUB TOTAL: 4

----

As you can see, we're still very much in the dark!

harsha
29th October 2009, 14:25
looks a very woollly concept to me...here's hoping that It doesn't be the failure that the Formula 2 series is ...the relaunched one

CaptainRaiden
29th October 2009, 15:17
Talmacsi linked with three teams!

And also, wasn't the Blusens team also there? Why don't I see them in the list?

Anyway, this new series in a way is an interesting scenario, because for now we don't know which teams would be competitive, and so at this moment we don't have any idea who will be the first Moto2 champion next year. I just dearly hope that some team hasn't jumped the gun in development, and are already miles ahead, otherwise we will be in for a borefest.

Copse
29th October 2009, 18:09
looks a very woollly concept to me...here's hoping that It doesn't be the failure that the Formula 2 series is ...the relaunched one

That is not a very valid comparison, IMO. Moto2 will have the same or better participants than the series it replaces, and keep the place in the weekends, be a part of tv broadcasts and will be watched by MotoGP teams. All good things.

The new so-called Formula 2 only has those kind of improvements if you consider it a new step above Formula Palmer Audi. And that is what it is.

The series to compare Moto2 to is GP2, when it replaced F3000 as the main support for F1. That was nothing but successful. Let's hope that is how this will go as well.

The Phantom
29th October 2009, 22:16
The inception of Moto2 is nothing if not exciting! For me anyway :p While I value the history and competitiveness of 250GP, I've just never been a two stroke fan for some unfathomable reason...

I'm still not happy about the sole engine arrangement - because of how it excludes all of the other manufacturers from competing - but the introduction of bespoke chassis manufacturers is fantastic, and just might lead to a few new teams in MotoGP over the next few years.

As for who or which teams will be strong - hard to go past Tech3 given their proven abilities in running four stroke racing bikes.

patnicholls
11th November 2009, 12:15
As ever, looks like Kropotkin has the latest:

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2009/11/11/moto2_provisional_line_up_so_far.html

My initial predictions above might as well have been written on some form of cracker... :p

Roby44
12th November 2009, 11:57
Italtrans
1° Roberto Rolfo
2° Robertino Pietri

jonny hurlock
13th November 2009, 13:48
no pramac, no roberts : (

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/154478/1/updated_moto2_entry_list_-_pramac_roberts_gone.html

Jarman
13th November 2009, 19:12
About some spanish' riders:
- Alex Debon will ride for Ajo Motorsport
- Fonsi Nieto with G22 (his brother's team) and Yannik Guerra will be his probably partner.
- Axel Pons will ride with his father's team
- Joan Olive and Keny Noyes will ride for Promoracing/Banderas
- Ángel Rodriguez probably won't ride during the next two years, he failed an antidopping control this year at the second race of the CEV (the sustance consumed was cocaine)

tha_jackal
19th November 2009, 07:39
more moto2 machines in action during this weekends CEV finale at Valencia.

poorly translated from an article on bikeracing.it:-

"Define "Boom" is perhaps an exaggeration, but certainly see as many as 9 units of Moto2 at the start of the last test in Valencia CEV Extreme is good news. After the 7 presence of Jerez, in Cheste, there will be significant new entry, or with rookie Anthony West MZ, historical brand of motorcycle racing back "alive" from the investments Ralf Waldmann and Martin Wimmer.

In addition to the MZ will keep the winner of the last two races, Javier Fores (pictured) with Laglisse YM2, as the pair team Blusens, Daniel Rivas and Shuhei Aoyama.

Two drivers for the AJR, Daniel Arcas again joined by Pablo Garcia Barrio, also confirmed the participation of the FTR Joe Darcey with Graeme Gowland and Harris-Promoracing with Joan Olive.

As for our colors, Roberto Rolfo back in action. After the experience of Valencia with the team Laglisse now be on track with the rookie team Italtrans MMX Suter Racing team which will face the World Cup 2010."

cheers.

Roby44
19th November 2009, 18:07
Roberto Rolfo back in action.

Go Roby!!!! :)

Jarman
19th November 2009, 19:38
Extracted from http://www.motociclismo.es/Deporte/moto-gp/moto2-fichajes-y-movimiento-pilotos-y-equipos/8749

TEAM************* RIDERS********************BIKES

Ajo Motorsport*******Álex Debón*****************Aprilia
Campetella Racing****Dominique Aegeter************B&B Team
Cardion AB Motoracing*Karel Abrahan***************Aprilia
CIP Moto –GP250*****Valentin Debise**************Suter
Emmi Caffe Latte*****Thomas Luthi****************Suter/Kale/Moriwaki
G22 Racing Team*****Fonsi Nieto-Yanick Guerra******Moriwaki
Hayate Racing Team***Jules Cluzel-?***************Suter
Honda Gresini********Toni Elías-?*****************Moriwaki
JIR****************Mattia Pasini-Roger Lee Hayden**TSR
Kino Racing**********Fabrizio Perren**************BQR
Mapfre Aspar Team****Julían Simón-Mike Di Meglio*****Aprilia
Matteoni Racing******Lucas Pesek****************Moriwaki
Pons Racing*********Axel Pons-Sergio Gadea********Kalex
Promoracing*********Joan Olivé-Kenny Noyes********Harris
BQR***************Bernat Martínez?-************BQR
******************José David De Gea?-
******************Alex De Angelis?
Racing Team Germany**Arne Tode*****************Suter
Scot Racing Team*****Niccolo Canepa-?************NCR
Speedup Aprilia*******Andrea Iannone-Gabor Talmacsi*Aprilia
SprintTecnology Racing*Roberto Pietri-Roberto Rolfo****Suter
Stop and Go Racing****Héctor Faubel-Ratt.Wilairot****Aprilia/FTR
Tech 3*************Raffaele De Rosa-Yuki Takahashi*Tech3
Viessmann Kiefer Racing*Stefan Brald-Vladimir Leonov***Suter
WTR San Marino Team**Claudio Corti***************ADV/CRP

Rod Richardson
19th November 2009, 21:38
Valencia final round of Spanish CEV Buckler series this weekend.
Log onto site and possibly on Saturday, the Live Timing (well... sort-of) will scroll across the top of the page.
Moto2 racing with "Extreme" class. (including Ant West)

http://www.cevbuckler.com/en/circuitos_2009.htm?lc_circuit_id=6&id_temp=2009

Rod Richardson
20th November 2009, 20:52
Nuevo Horario / New Schedule
HORARIO CEV BUCKLER 2009 “Provisional”
Circuit de la Comunitat Valencia Ricardo Tormo. 21 y 22 de Noviembre.

Sábado, 21 de Noviembre – Saturday, 21th November
08:30 – 17:10 Verificaciones Técnicas / Technical Checks

Entrenamientos oficiales / Qualifying practices
09:00 - 09:30 Kawasaki Ninja Cup
09:40 - 10:20 Supersport
10:30 - 11:10 Extreme/Moto2
11:20 - 12:00 125GP Grupo A
12:10 - 12:50 125GP Grupo B
13:00 - 13:30 Kawasaki Ninja Cup
13:40 - 14:20 Supersport
14:30 - 15:10 Extreme/Moto2
15:20 - 16:00 125GP Grupo A
16:10 - 16:50 125GP Grupo B
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

Domingo, 22 de Noviembre – Sunday, 22th November
08:15 Comienzo Verificaciones Técnicas / Start of Technical Inspections

Warm-up
08:45 – 09:00 Extreme/Moto2
09:05 – 09:20 125GP
09:25 – 09:40 Kawasaki Ninja Cup
]09:45 – 10:00 Supersport

Carreras / Races
10:30 Extreme/Moto2 19 Vueltas/Laps
11:45 125GP 18 Vueltas/Laps
13:00 Kawasaki Ninja Cup 18 Vueltas/Laps
14:00 Supersport 19 Vueltas/Laps

tha_jackal
21st November 2009, 08:10
timing here:

moto2 on at 10.30am (8.30pm) and 2.30pm (12.30am)
(aussie time)

http://www.circuitvalencia.com/live/index.htm

tha_jackal
21st November 2009, 11:56
doesn't look like ant competed in FP1 :(

tha_jackal
22nd November 2009, 03:42
http://www.motorsport-aktuell.com/images_msa/21946_6.jpg

The first public performance of the team MZ Moto2 with Anthony West in Valencia was marked by some margin.

In the first session in the context of the final weekend for the Spanish League West could only turn two laps before he came back with the Honda into the pits. The complete redesign of the front fork had to be revised, as the steering head was too stiff.

In the afternoon, then graduated from West ten rounds. "I had the feeling that the fork twist as it comes on turn-stated the Australians. "In the course of today we will be testing with a conventional fork." The only thing then there's just a prototype, which is reinforced swingarm at the Stiggy Honda.

Contrary to the message list Robby Rolfo was still with the new chassis Suter into training. Equipped with an engine from Yamaha Rolfo despite Chatteringproblemen felt quite comfortable. "For starters, I am quite satisfied. On 9 and 10 December we will test here again. Until then, the motorcycle still done a lot.
google translate from:-

http://www.motorsport-aktuell.com/grand-prix/news/mz-zahlt-lehrgeld-11246.html

Rod Richardson
22nd November 2009, 04:45
Must have taken some effort to dig up that article. I see West still has his Monster Energy drink helmet.

I had not realized that MZ had been taken over by the Chinese and is now owned by Ralf Waldmann & Martin Wimmer.

Jan '09 article from Kneeslider.com

"Ralf Waldmann and Martin Wimmer, 2 former motorcycle GP racers, are planning to revive production of MZ motorcycles which, as we reported (http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/06/08/mz-motorcycles-scheduled-to-close-this-year/), ceased operations at the end of last year. They are buying the trademarks and worldwide rights to the brand from the Hong Leong Group which currently owns MZ. The old German factory is now a nightclub, MZWerk, so Waldmann and Wimmer plan to work with a Chinese company to produce the bikes. Martin Wimmer has lived in China and evidently has good connections there.
According to the racers, they want to begin by producing a new 125cc model similar to the old MZ RT125 and eventually expand with models up to 500cc."

Mach24
25th November 2009, 08:13
Aprillia = Gone!

axxexs
25th November 2009, 22:12
Must have taken some effort to dig up that article. I see West still has his Monster Energy drink helmet.

I had not realized that MZ had been taken over by the Chinese and is now owned by Ralf Waldmann & Martin Wimmer.

Jan '09 article from Kneeslider.com

"Ralf Waldmann and Martin Wimmer, 2 former motorcycle GP racers, are planning to revive production of MZ motorcycles which, as we reported (http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/06/08/mz-motorcycles-scheduled-to-close-this-year/), ceased operations at the end of last year. They are buying the trademarks and worldwide rights to the brand from the Hong Leong Group which currently owns MZ. The old German factory is now a nightclub, MZWerk, so Waldmann and Wimmer plan to work with a Chinese company to produce the bikes. Martin Wimmer has lived in China and evidently has good connections there.
According to the racers, they want to begin by producing a new 125cc model similar to the old MZ RT125 and eventually expand with models up to 500cc."

Ralf did have this MZ bike with him to some race in Germany this year to show. Its a 250cc.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn78/axxexs/DSCN1112.jpg

Ralf still race but with the classic 50cc. Or as the Germans says, schnapsglas klasse. :)
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn78/axxexs/DSCN1113.jpg

mx311
25th November 2009, 23:07
Aprillia = Gone!
Yeah I think this is a real shame, Aprilia have been such a great supporter of the 125 and 250 class for many years it's sad that they won't be on the grid in 2010 in Moto2 (same goes for KTM), not surprising but sad. This was always going to be the problem when the one engine supplier was announced. Interesting to see which way Aspar goes, develop the Aprilia chassis in-house or switch to Moriwaki.

The grid is coming together quickly now (as shown by motociclismo's list posted by Jarman). Alex de Angeles is probably the biggest name not yet confirmed somewhere although he may go to WSBK is Aprilia do expand their team over there as rumoured.

Just a bit of personal insight, I think Moto2 next year is going to be great. Joan has said that the bikes are nice to ride and you can really attack on them so fingers crossed they are going to produce some great racing. Speaking of Joan, seems Promo Racing will now go by the name Jack & Jones Racing with Antonio Banderas, much easier to say. :p

Rod Richardson
26th November 2009, 06:12
With Aprilia gone, does that clear the way for MZ to be elevated from the reserve list???????

tha_jackal
27th November 2009, 12:24
impressive if true..

http://www.motorsport-aktuell.com/images_msa/21968_6.jpg
West: Had chances for victory!

The team MZ Moto2 gained important insights and pilot Anthony West was convinced by the package.

Only in early November 2009 could be started in 2010 to MZ with the implementation of the planned entry into the class Moto2. In order to have a baseline MZ bought the bike used by Team Stiggy of the Supersport World Championship. In order to have a baseline MZ bought the bike used by Team Stiggy of the Supersport World Championship. This bike has been converted for a first outing at the last round of the Spanish Championship in Valencia. This bike has been converted for a first outing at the last round of the Spanish Championship in Valencia.

To clarify the regulatory compliance of the reconstructions, the Spanish Federation has been contacted. To clarify the regulatory compliance of the reconstructions, the Spanish Federation has been contacted. The main changes were to allow one hand, a rocker in the area of the steering angle setting, and many other additional reinforcements to the Hintterradschwinge. The main changes were to allow one hand, a rocker in the area of the steering angle setting, and many other additional reinforcements to the Hintterradschwinge. These are difficult to detect externally. These are difficult to detect externally.

After only two days of testing Anthony West achieved with his MZ Moto2 formal degree training in a time of 1.37.581 minutes. After only two days of testing Anthony West achieved with his MZ Moto2 formal degree training in a time of 1.37.581 minutes. and was thus only 0.1 sec behind Xavier Fores Suter on a Yamaha on rank 2 of Moto2 downloads. And thus was only 0.1 sec behind Xavier Fores Suter on a Yamaha on rank 2 of Moto2 downloads.

Despite consultations with the Spanish Federation to the MZ Racing team was denied the opportunity at the start race Sunday. Despite consultations with the Spanish Federation to the MZ Racing team was denied the opportunity at the start race Sunday. The team, represented by team manager Ralf Waldmann and Managing Director at Martin Wimmer accepted the decision. The team, represented by team manager Ralf Waldmann and Managing Director at Martin Wimmer accepted the decision.

"Despite the extremely short preparation time, it is managed to achieve very good times," said Waldmann. "Despite the extremely short preparation time, it is managed to achieve very good times," said Waldmann. "Our approach to test out with already a tried and tested material, and this will improve gradually grew out of our long racing experience. "Our approach to test out with already a tried and tested material, and this will improve gradually grew out of our long racing experience. Our team in Zschopau has done an outstanding job." So in Zschopau our team has done an excellent job. "

"For us it was" this deployment without Rennteilnahme extremely important, said CEO Martin Wimmer MZ. "For us it was" this deployment without Rennteilnahme extremely important, said CEO Martin Wimmer MZ. "We were able to enter the first results of our patented suspension system and have now go on a base of data to the next design steps. "We were able to enter the first results of our patented suspension system, and have now go on a base of data to the next design steps. Our goals are still a permanent starting spot in the World Cup Moto2 and potential customer teams in World Cup and in national racing series to offer the best possible suspension. "Our goals are still a permanent starting spot in the Moto2 World Cup, as well as offering potential customer teams in the World Cup and national racing series in an optimal gear to be able to. "

Anthony West was impressed: "It was very interesting for me to test for MZ and meet the many adjustments to suspension tuning. Anthony West was impressed: "It was very interesting for me to test for MZ and meet the many adjustments to suspension tuning. It is a pity that I could not attend the race because I would have had winning chances." It is a pity that I could not attend the race because I would have had winning chances. "

TheFamousEccles
27th November 2009, 23:02
Most impressive - It would be interesting if this project went ahead and Westy was lead rider... and wiped the floor with all-comers ;)

tha_jackal
27th November 2009, 23:14
apologies for the doubled-up version of the press release, i blame google translate!

here's a more readable version:-

The team MZ Moto2 gained important insights and pilot Anthony West was convinced by the package.

Only in early November 2009 could be started in 2010 to MZ with the implementation of the planned entry into the class Moto2. In order to have a baseline MZ bought the bike used by Team Stiggy of the Supersport World Championship. This bike has been converted for a first outing at the last round of the Spanish Championship in Valencia.

To clarify the regulatory compliance of the reconstructions, the Spanish Federation has been contacted. The main changes were to allow one hand, a rocker in the area of the steering angle setting, and many other additional reinforcements to the Hintterradschwinge.

After only two days of testing Anthony West achieved with his MZ Moto2 formal degree training in a time of 1.37.581 minutes. and was thus only 0.1 sec behind Xavier Fores Suter on a Yamaha on rank 2 of Moto2 machines.

Despite consultations with the Spanish Federation to the MZ Racing team was denied the opportunity at the start race Sunday. The team, represented by team manager Ralf Waldmann and Managing Director at Martin Wimmer accepted the decision.

"Despite the extremely short preparation time, it is managed to achieve very good times," said Waldmann. "Our approach to test out with already a tried and tested material, and this will improve gradually grew out of our long racing experience. Our team in Zschopau has done an outstanding job." So in Zschopau our team has done an excellent job. "

"For us it was" this deployment without Rennteilnahme extremely important, said CEO Martin Wimmer MZ. "We were able to enter the first results of our patented suspension system and have now go on a base of data to the next design steps. "Our goals are still a permanent starting spot in the World Cup Moto2 and potential customer teams in World Cup and in national racing series to offer the best possible suspension.

Anthony West was impressed: "It was very interesting for me to test for MZ and meet the many adjustments to suspension tuning. It is a pity that I could not attend the race because I would have had winning chances."

:look:

Rod Richardson
28th November 2009, 05:32
Thanks Jackal. We'll believe you!
Thanks Jackal. We'll believe you.

NinjaMaster
29th November 2009, 07:20
Call me cynical, but it sounds like a sponsor seeking PR stunt to me. Hopefully the MZ project will be a well-funded competitive outfit and the marque as a whole can make a successful comeback.

tha_jackal
9th December 2009, 22:52
Ant West Fastest On Day 1 Of Moto2 Test At Valencia

The first large-scale outing for the Moto2 teams started today at Valencia, with 5 teams, 6 bikes and 8 riders out on track. According to the times issued by the teams afterwards, Ant West was the fastest of the Moto2 riders, though this requires the first of a number of sizable pinches of salt. According to GPOne.com, West's MZ-badged Moto2 bike was just a Supersport CBR600 in disguise, and consequently an already sorted package.

From there, it all gets very difficult to judge, as the different bikes have engines in very different states of tune, varying from kitted standard engines to full Supersport, and producing anywhere between 115 and 140 hp depending on the level of tune. The real test will come when Honda starts supplying the standard engines to the teams in March next year.

Julian Simon certainly put in a strong performance, the Aspar team once again running the BQR chassis, and edging closer to deciding to use this chassis as the replacement for the missing Aprilias. The Italtrans bike of Roby Rolfo was also impressive, Rolfo setting some strong times, while Raffaele de Rosa made a strong debut on the Tech 3 Moto2 bike, especially given the very low level of tune the Tech 3 team is running their Honda CBR 600 engine in.

Mike di Meglio struggled with mechanical issues, before finally finding his rhythm on the bike. But the Pons Kalex bike appears to need the most development at the moment, with both Axel Pons and Sergio Gadea close to the bottom of the timesheets.

Testing continues tomorrow.

Unofficial - and difficult to interpret - times, courtesy of Racesport.nl: Pos Rider Bike Time
1 Anthony West MZ 1'37.4
2 Julian Simon BQR 1'37.9
3 Roberto Rolfo Suter-MMX 1'38.4
4 Raffaele De Rosa Tech3 1'39.2
5 Mike di Meglio BQR 1'39.3
6 Axel Pons Kalex 1'40.4
7 Sergio Gadea Kalex 1'40.4
8 Alessandro Brannetti CRP 1'40.5

TheFamousEccles
10th December 2009, 08:01
Agreed, Jackal. Much too much salt in this diet at the moment. Interesting though - I read an interview with Herve Poncheral (spelling - i couldn't be bothered looking up the correct way... :) ) who advised just the same, given the relatively low level of tune in their engine. Does using the CBR 600 motor mean that the control engine has the same mounting points? Is there any adjustability in the engine position (that would be a frame issue, wouldn't it?)?

NinjaMaster
10th December 2009, 08:16
Agreed, Jackal. Much too much salt in this diet at the moment. Interesting though - I read an interview with Herve Poncheral (spelling - i couldn't be bothered looking up the correct way... :) ) who advised just the same, given the relatively low level of tune in their engine. Does using the CBR 600 motor mean that the control engine has the same mounting points? Is there any adjustability in the engine position (that would be a frame issue, wouldn't it?)?
...and what will the power curve be like and the weight distribution and dimensions of the engine. It's almost pointless to start testing now though I assume that the teams have been given some engine specs to work with and are just getting a very rough idea of the direction they intend to head.

leopard
10th December 2009, 09:50
Just a bit of personal insight, I think Moto2 next year is going to be great. Joan has said that the bikes are nice to ride and you can really attack on them so fingers crossed they are going to produce some great racing. Speaking of Joan, seems Promo Racing will now go by the name Jack & Jones Racing with Antonio Banderas, much easier to say. :p
heheh it's more than likely they are going to name their team Desperado?... :)

mac853
10th December 2009, 18:52
Could somebody tell me how about the Bimota?
What i saw was just that prototype photo took by some guy of its factory, then nothing been added more in the last moments.
Will they really put a bike in the Moto2, or just a rumour?
In fact there's no team had reported with any agreement with them.

Best regards

Rod Richardson
10th December 2009, 20:20
Bimota's intention to construct a Moto2 bike was first reported back in about February but there are no reports I have since seen about Bimota entering a team in this category. Maybe it was their intention to manufacture bikes and sell them to others.

mac853
10th December 2009, 20:58
Bimota's intention to construct a Moto2 bike was first reported back in about February but there are no reports I have since seen about Bimota entering a team in this category. Maybe it was their intention to manufacture bikes and sell them to others.
Intention to selling bikes are doing also by other small manufacturers.
But efectively, the news of Bimota are totally disappeared, they should tell about the progress to be attracted.

mac853
2nd January 2010, 20:24
Finally, the nice Moto2 of Bimota is on, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ytQ-GaHe0

The Phantom
4th January 2010, 07:24
Good stuff! Neat looking bike, and Bimota knows how to build a chassis, could be interesting.

TheFamousEccles
4th January 2010, 10:48
Cool. Hope it works well. On another note, its interesting to read the (un)informed comment on YouTube, lots of trolling going on there :dozey:

mac853
4th January 2010, 11:59
Cool. Hope it works well. On another note, its interesting to read the (un)informed comment on YouTube, lots of trolling going on there :dozey:
What, you meaning that ones which are insulting Bimota then those one which are defending itself? :confused:
Maybe some of them are Aprilia and Bimota fans, they are just trying to intimidating each other, that's why appeared some trash talk, isn't that you are meaning?

NinjaMaster
5th January 2010, 07:47
Sweet video. Looks like they're testing on a go-kart track! Should handle the tight corners well then. Would love to see Bimota back and competitive. As mentioned, they are used to building frames around other companies engines so perhaps have a leg-up on the rest of the competition.

TheFamousEccles
5th January 2010, 12:09
What, you meaning that ones which are insulting Bimota then those one which are defending itself? :confused:
Maybe some of them are Aprilia and Bimota fans, they are just trying to intimidating each other, that's why appeared some trash talk, isn't that you are meaning?

Yep, that's what I mean. I did get dragged off on a tangent looking at other video (as you do at youTube) and am always amazed at the quality of the discourse...

This place is much better ;)

mac853
5th January 2010, 15:20
Sweet video. Looks like they're testing on a go-kart track! Should handle the tight corners well then. Would love to see Bimota back and competitive. As mentioned, they are used to building frames around other companies engines so perhaps have a leg-up on the rest of the competition.
Bimota has always the know-how to make good chassis to fit a "well done" engine.
They have always a good motive to start any project then ended suddenly without any continuity or any handover then lately withdraw to zero, likely as Ilmor happened in MotoGP.
A lot of project which began well but suddenly disappeared, i believe mostly reason is the matter of the budget, since the factory is small.
Even Hopkins refuse to riding their Moto2, as we can see their team is still small then can't afford a "Big rider".
I think they always hope, maybe some customer teams will purchase their bikes during the work progress, lately they can't find any of them, so the history is always terminated early, i think this is the factor.

Yep, that's what I mean. I did get dragged off on a tangent looking at other video (as you do at youTube) and am always amazed at the quality of the discourse...

This place is much better ;)
+1 ;)

The Phantom
6th January 2010, 07:21

Good old YouTube comments. You could be forgiven for thinking that 90% of people using YouTube are 13 years old.

I love this observation on YouTube - on the money or what? :D

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/youtube.png

NinjaMaster
6th January 2010, 12:17
"Tell Louis Armstrong" :rotflmao:

leopard
7th January 2010, 02:42
from what I see, Mike posted once... Mark is repeatedly reported spam... ;)

TheFamousEccles
7th January 2010, 11:35
Nice one, Phantom :D

NinjaMaster
8th January 2010, 12:32
I'm actually quite looking forward to this class. Whilst is will no longer be a real (complete prototype) GP class, it should be pretty interesting. I'm expecting it to be a bit like F1 last year actually. Someone will come up with the right combination immediately, others to catch up after 3 or 4 rounds with others slowly getting competitive as the season goes on.

It will be good for the likes of Toni Elias and Alex De Angelis to remain in GP. I know they are hot and cold at the very top level but they do have plenty of speed, just not consistently compared to the absolute cream. They should be front runners assuming their machinery is competitive.

patnicholls
18th January 2010, 13:03
Kropotkin's excellent site is currently carrying the latest (rumoured) list showing 39 riders:

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2010/01/16/unofficial_moto2_list_39_riders_many_sti.html

Toni Elias' ride was finally confirmed with Gresini today; Vladimir Ivanov (did WSS a couple of years ago) will be his surprise team-mate. Looking good!

tha_jackal
18th January 2010, 13:05
it says Elias' teammate is vacant?

patnicholls
18th January 2010, 13:08
Yep, sorry - the list went up sometime last week and Gresini officially announced today...

tha_jackal
18th January 2010, 13:08
oh ok cool..

good chance for the lad :up:

mac853
18th January 2010, 14:00
Kropotkin's excellent site is currently carrying the latest (rumoured) list showing 39 riders:

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2010/01/16/unofficial_moto2_list_39_riders_many_sti.html

Toni Elias' ride was finally confirmed with Gresini today; Vladimir Ivanov (did WSS a couple of years ago) will be his surprise team-mate. Looking good!
RSV? Does it mean Aprilia of last year?
So few, with just 3 on the grid?

Is possibly some riders will make appearance in some rounds?
I am so doubt could be totally 39 in the grid in all rounds.

patnicholls
19th January 2010, 12:39
Oh go on, since we're at it let's have a slightly updated list - this time with 43 riders on it:

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2010/01/18/updated_moto2_list_40_entries_so_far.html

Yes, I believe the RSV may be an adaptation of the mooted-but-canned Aprilia Moto2 project by the Aspar and Cardion teams, although if anyone knows better please correct me!

ShiftingGears
19th January 2010, 13:41
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/youtube.png

Fantastic.

Jarman
21st January 2010, 16:02
Yes, I believe the RSV may be an adaptation of the mooted-but-canned Aprilia Moto2 project by the Aspar and Cardion teams, although if anyone knows better please correct me!

I read that RSV bike is a project of Althea Team (they have ridden in WSS with Honda many years), Aprilia has not implication in that project. The bike uses a tubular chassis.

mac853
21st January 2010, 21:41
Oh go on, since we're at it let's have a slightly updated list - this time with 43 riders on it:

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2010/01/18/updated_moto2_list_40_entries_so_far.html

I read that RSV bike is a project of Althea Team (they have ridden in WSS with Honda many years), Aprilia has not implication in that project. The bike uses a tubular chassis.
What a shame, i forgot the 2 strokes called RS250, not RSV.
But for the coincidence, handled by former Aprilia officials "Aspar" Martinez, the chassis is from Althea which related with Ducati?
Could not be possible about this RSV is created by Aprilia before, but suddenly they transferred this project to other people?

tha_jackal
17th February 2010, 03:40
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2205/mzmoto2.jpg

non-naked version of the MZ.

they'll be testing in catalunya only on thursday and friday.

if they don't get a fixed place in moto2 for this season (still pending), they'll start in the spanish championship instead and look for wild-card rides in the big game.

Rod Richardson
19th February 2010, 21:20
MOTO2 & 125 TESTS FRIDAY 19 FEB. 2010

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/report+moto2+final+day

West 5th only .2 sec down.

However, there is no point in getting too excited about the results before they are all running with identical engines.

patnicholls
16th March 2010, 12:38
Today is probably the final piece of the jigsaw coming together with the Thai/Stop & Go team - absent from preseason testing after falling out with Suter - announcing that they will return to run Wilairot and Faubel on Bimota machinery:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/thai+honda+signs+with+bimota

However, not so good for Kino Racing who were hoping to run Fabricio Perren - they've not made it:

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2010/03/15/moto2_latest_kino_racing_folds_wilairot_.html

I think that puts us at a nice round 40 riders or therabouts - will have a count later!