PDA

View Full Version : The Most Prosperous Countries

Eki
26th October 2009, 08:41
Finland may not be the most beautiful country according to the Motorsport Forums, but according to the 2009 Legatum Prosperity Index it's the most prosperous:

http://prosperity.com/rankings.aspx

Or do you beg to differ?

DexDexter
26th October 2009, 09:57
If only we had a similar climate to Canary Islands, for example :)

555-04Q2
26th October 2009, 10:21
Cant comment on that.

But they produce great rally drivers. That much I know!

Valve Bounce
26th October 2009, 10:39
And, most importantly, they have The Eagle

....................or is it Iceland? :confused:

OK. I'm sorry, Hallgrim Ørn Hallgrimsson is from Iceland. :( Maybe they are rich too? No??

Eki
26th October 2009, 12:21
http://prosperity.com/prosperiscope.aspx?sel=FI,AS,CA,US,UK&index=prosperity&year=2009

I wonder why Britain scores so low in security&safety and personal freedom. I'd imagine that less personal freedom = more security&safety. I wonder how dangerous Britain would be if they had more personal freedom.

anthonyvop
26th October 2009, 14:16
A totally subjective and bias ranking!

They have the US ranked 27th in heath????? Please. Not having the US ranked 1st or at least the top 3 in health just betrays the pollsters agenda

gadjo_dilo
26th October 2009, 14:29
I'm not in denial of this clasification but I find it odd that for nothing in the world I would like to live in any of the top 5 countries. :laugh:

Eki
26th October 2009, 14:49

They have the US ranked 27th in heath????? Please. Not having the US ranked 1st or at least the top 3 in health just betrays the pollsters agenda
The ranking is probably correct. Just hope that Obama will fix it.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th October 2009, 14:56

It's not rating the healthcare system, but just the general health and well being of the citizens. You can't deny that with 34% of American citizens being overweight (the highest in the world) that you are not a very healthy nation.

Lousada
26th October 2009, 16:00

:rolleyes:

Just one quote from the report, the rest you can look for yourself:

However, the US ranks at 37th on this variable for the number of doctors and nurses per capita, and 43rd for the availability of hospital beds, which equals 32 per 10,000 people.

DexDexter
26th October 2009, 16:11
I'm not in denial of this clasification but I find it odd that for nothing in the world I would like to live in any of the top 5 countries. :laugh:

Have you ever even been to those top 5 countries? My guess is you haven't.

What do you know of these top 5 countries? Ever visited them? Any other information? How much do you know about health care in Sweden or Finland?

Garry Walker
26th October 2009, 17:45
I wonder why Britain scores so low in security&safety

Multiculturalism.

Any other information? How much do you know about health care in Sweden or Finland?

I have no personal experience with healthcare in either country, but I have a friend who worked as a doctor in one of those countries and she only had bad things to say about the experience. Something that surprised me a lot.

Jag_Warrior
26th October 2009, 18:31

Just in taking a quick glance at the data, it appears that this study is actually based on objective, not subjective data.

But to get the U.S. in 1st, 3rd, or any other position, would require objective data which countered the conclusion of the study. I haven't seen any such data, so I can't comment.

Just an anecdote: I went with a friend to pick her kid up from elementary school last year. And while waiting for him, I watched the kids walk out. I have never seen such a collection of roly-poly little fat people in my life! Little girls and boys waddled out with their guts hanging over their pants and their thighs scrapping together. From what my friend tells me, Physical Ed. is no longer mandatory! And they can actually buy soft drinks and junk food snacks in the cafeteria now! No wonder childhood obesity, diabetes and heart disease is going off the charts in this country. We're killing our kids by allowing them to live irresponsible lifestyles. We let them play video games all day and eat like pigs all night. It's really shameful, IMO. I'd say the majority of kids that I saw were at least chubby enough to be considered overweight. 10 year olds with double chins! That's just wrong!!! :mad:

Jag_Warrior
26th October 2009, 18:41

My issue is, I don't have or make enough money to live comfortably in Switzerland. :(

veeten
26th October 2009, 18:47
such reports as this...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33480141/ns/health-health_care

... seems to poke pretty big holes in anthonyvop's assumptions, but then again when one relies pretty much on FOX News, Rush Limbaugh and other conservative outlets, it stands to reason why such comments.

Malbec
26th October 2009, 18:49
Multiculturalism.

Yeah it all started when they let in all those coloured people right?

Its a pity but British society has always had a tendency for violence, one popular Victorian fashion accessory for the well heeled gentleman was a cane or walking stick which hid a metre long sword for self-defence. They were popular because they were needed. Some things don't change, and the arrival of immigrants hasn't reduced that tendency for thuggery.

Jag_Warrior
26th October 2009, 18:56
Yeah it all started when they let in all those coloured people right?

Its a pity but British society has always had a tendency for violence, one popular Victorian fashion accessory for the well heeled gentleman was a cane or walking stick which hid a metre long sword for self-defence. They were popular because they were needed. Some things don't change, and the arrival of immigrants hasn't reduced that tendency for thuggery.

Just admit it, Dylan... when the Romans pulled out (esp. Hadrian's boys), you people just went NUTS!!! :p :D

Eki
26th October 2009, 20:42
Daily Mail has found igloos in Finland. I wonder where, because I have never heard of any igloos in Finland. And looking out the window, I don't even see any snow, +10 degC and raining.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1223033/Unhappy-UK-fails-make-10-worlds-prosperous-countries.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/26/article-1223033-02D7A236000005DC-505_468x304.jpg

driveace
26th October 2009, 20:49
have been to all the top 15 countrys, BUT quite happy where i am at present thanks!

Tomi
26th October 2009, 20:58
Daily Mail has found igloos in Finland. I wonder where, because I have never heard of any igloos in Finland. And looking out the window, I don't even see any snow, +10 degC and raining.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1223033/Unhappy-UK-fails-make-10-worlds-prosperous-countries.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/26/article-1223033-02D7A236000005DC-505_468x304.jpg

do you know eki, what those are built for?

Camelopard
26th October 2009, 21:17

Just an anecdote: I went with a friend to pick her kid up from elementary school last year. And while waiting for him, I watched the kids walk out. I have never seen such a collection of roly-poly little fat people in my life! Little girls and boys waddled out with their guts hanging over their pants and their thighs scrapping together. From what my friend tells me, Physical Ed. is no longer mandatory! And they can actually buy soft drinks and junk food snacks in the cafeteria now! No wonder childhood obesity, diabetes and heart disease is going off the charts in this country. We're killing our kids by allowing them to live irresponsible lifestyles. We let them play video games all day and eat like pigs all night. It's really shameful, IMO. I'd say the majority of kids that I saw were at least chubby enough to be considered overweight. 10 year olds with double chins! That's just wrong!!! :mad:

Could be Australia as well, certainly the schools near me.

Eki
26th October 2009, 21:37
do you know eki, what those are built for?
No, I don't even know where they are. I'd guess they are greenhouses or something, because I don't believe anyone would like to live in a totally transparent building, except maybe the Big Brother contestants.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th October 2009, 21:48
Just in taking a quick glance at the data, it appears that this study is actually based on objective, not subjective data.

But to get the U.S. in 1st, 3rd, or any other position, would require objective data which countered the conclusion of the study. I haven't seen any such data, so I can't comment.

Could be Australia as well, certainly the schools near me.

I think the Aussies are second after the US when it come to obesity. But the UK is probably the fattest in Europe. Jamie Oliver ran a campaign to make school meals more healthy but kids just started bringing unhealthy food from home.

Eki
26th October 2009, 22:07
I think the Aussies are second after the US when it come to obesity. But the UK is probably the fattest in Europe. Jamie Oliver ran a campaign to make school meals more healthy but kids just started bringing unhealthy food from home.
Do you have free school meals in the UK? How about the US and Australia?

Jag_Warrior
26th October 2009, 22:14

No, in U.S. public schools there is normally a charge for lunches. Depending on the parents' income, kids can get reduced price or free lunches though.

Tomi
26th October 2009, 22:48
No, I don't even know where they are. I'd guess they are greenhouses or something, because I don't believe anyone would like to live in a totally transparent building, except maybe the Big Brother contestants.

built for tourists, especially japaneese, so they can watch northern lights from inside when its cold.

donKey jote
26th October 2009, 23:08
cool ! :erm: :p :

Camelopard
27th October 2009, 01:57

No free meals here that I'm aware of, although boarding schools would probably have different arrangements. Boarding schools where they also have daytime students? Don't know about either.

leopard
27th October 2009, 03:20
giraffe is your food running out of stock and now moving out to different country... , half-day school will not give you free meal, full-day school although they give the students meal, it's not completely free, we must pay it inclusive in advance.

Eki
27th October 2009, 06:19
No, in U.S. public schools there is normally a charge for lunches. Depending on the parents' income, kids can get reduced price or free lunches though.
I'd imagine free healthy lunches for everyone could reduce the number of snacks brought to school and therefore obeseity.

Eki
27th October 2009, 07:11
built for tourists, especially japaneese, so they can watch northern lights from inside when its cold.
Yes, I found it. It's in Saariselkä. Daily Mail has probably just googled 'igloo Finland' and found that photo:

http://goscandinavia.about.com/od/scandinaviahotels/ss/icehotels_6.htm

555-04Q2
27th October 2009, 09:39

Watch the documentary Sicko and you will know why the US is ranked so low. I'm actually surprised the US is not ranked lower to be honest.

gadjo_dilo
27th October 2009, 09:50
Have you ever even been to those top 5 countries? My guess is you haven't.

What if I haven't? It's a fact that a romantic like me ( :laugh :) to whom prosperity means nothing doesn't match those places.

chuck34
27th October 2009, 11:28
Watch the documentary Sicko and you will know why the US is ranked so low. I'm actually surprised the US is not ranked lower to be honest.

If you think Sicko is an actual documentary and not a biased view of things, you've got bigger issues.

anthonyvop
27th October 2009, 11:34
What does "health" have to do with prosperity anyway?

Eki
27th October 2009, 11:34
Yes, I remember hearing that the Japanese are superstitious about northern lights. They believe the northern light bring male children. I guess those igloos are also an attraction for local Finns, so they can watch from the outside Japanese tourists having sex inside during northern lights.

http://www.novaarctic.com/northern_light.php

The most anxious 'Northern Lights tourists' are the Japanese. Many guest groups in Lapland ask the night porters of hotels to wake them at any time of night if the Northern Lights are to appear. And no wonder - the Japanese believe that the Northern Lights bring happiness and male children.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th October 2009, 12:07
What does "health" have to do with prosperity anyway?

Health is the cornerstone of prosperity. It is much harder for a country to flourish if its workforce is ill and unhealthy.

555-04Q2
27th October 2009, 14:50
If you think Sicko is an actual documentary and not a biased view of things, you've got bigger issues.

I dont see how it is biased. It shows people being turned down by their medical plans for genuine problems that need treatment and it also shows citizens being dumped at the side of the road. Thats not biased, its a fact in full colour.

It also shows how good most European countries health systems are as well as how your neighbours above you (thats Canada if you look on the map) have a great system too.

The problem with US health care is in the 80's it was decided that bottom line came before the patients. We see the same problems that the US has over here as well. It sees the turning down of genuine health claims cause they will cost too much money for shareholders liking.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th October 2009, 15:21
I dont see how it is biased. It shows people being turned down by their medical plans for genuine problems that need treatment and it also shows citizens being dumped at the side of the road. Thats not biased, its a fact in full colour.

It also shows how good most European countries health systems are as well as how your neighbours above you (thats Canada if you look on the map) have a great system too.

The problem with US health care is in the 80's it was decided that bottom line came before the patients. We see the same problems that the US has over here as well. It sees the turning down of genuine health claims cause they will cost too much money for shareholders liking.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134593

chuck34
27th October 2009, 18:03

As Mr. Brown said this is getting a bit off topic. So let me address this quickly here and then anything further please direct it to the other thread. Just look at Mr. Moore and his politics and tell me that he's not biased. It would be on the same level as Rush Limbaugh making a movie.

You say that the movie shows people being turned away in the US and generally crappy stuff. But in Europe it is some type of Utopia. You don't think that I could make the exact opposite movie if it suited my agenda?

schmenke
27th October 2009, 20:30
Chuck is correct. Sicko, and anything else produced by Michael Moore, is not a documentary. It is a film produced merely to exploit one-sided opinions of an issue for the end result of maximizing revenues for Moore :mark: .

Malbec
27th October 2009, 22:27
Just look at Mr. Moore and his politics and tell me that he's not biased. It would be on the same level as Rush Limbaugh making a movie.

Speaking as someone who has sympathy for some of Michael Moore's political beliefs (not all) I couldn't agree with you more. Many of Michael Moore's 'documentary techniques' are sickeningly biased and dependent to a large degree on the ignorance of his audience. Its often a pity that he descends to such lows in order to drive home his message but I guess that using more traditional using truth without adding any ridiculous twists wouldn't get him the profit he so clearly is after.