PDA

View Full Version : s2000 cars in wrc 2010?

snellman
25th October 2009, 15:14
only s2000 cars in WRC 2010?

Francis44
25th October 2009, 15:26
Next year teams will still use actual wrc's, 2011 is the year for the new regulamentations. It is yet to decide if it's S2000 or something else.

snellman
25th October 2009, 15:50
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3526&desc=New%20World%20Rally%20Car%20details%20reveale d

Francis44
25th October 2009, 15:55
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3526&desc=New%20World%20Rally%20Car%20details%20reveale d

Yeah but recently they changed their mind and they still are thinking on what to do, and since FIA has changed of president you never know what they'll do next.

snellman
25th October 2009, 16:50
okey, i'm hoping for the s2000 to get more top runners :cool:

Francis44
25th October 2009, 17:03
okey, i'm hoping for the s2000 to get more top runners :cool:

yeah and boringness because S2000 are awful to watch :( .

Josti
25th October 2009, 17:15
yeah and boringness because S2000 are awful to watch :( .

They could be quite exciting at WRC level and especially when driven on the limit, which I witnessed at the Condroz Rally last year with Loix and Vouilloz.

Other than that, I like the fact that the cars are less high-tech. Letīs hope for something good in 2011.

Francis44
25th October 2009, 17:26
They could be quite exciting at WRC level and especially when driven on the limit, which I witnessed at the Condroz Rally last year with Loix and Vouilloz.

Other than that, I like the fact that the cars are less high-tech. Letīs hope for something good in 2011.

I've already seen two IRC events therefore i've already seen Loix and Vouillouz too but theres something about actual wrc cars that make you feel amazed and sometimes even scared....The sound, the speed.

Sladden
25th October 2009, 17:46
S 2000 should have been someting better. They lack power and even more importantly: The chassis are too stable. They act too much like tarmac cars. Sure they can slide sometimes, but low power and good control makes no heart jump in my trunk!

Simmi
25th October 2009, 19:03
This old chestnut again.

Like Group A following Group B there will be a 'meh' factor initially. But getting the costs down and the manufacturers/competition back is vital. When you have works teams and a thriving series then you add the power and turn on the development taps.

You have to smash it all down in order to build it up again.

I was thinking about making a thread regarding the new S2000 cup. I am hoping this will be popular and eventually see both the Ford and Citroen cars in action next year.

Are there any confirmations/intentions of drivers to compete in the S2000 cup next year?

RS
25th October 2009, 20:50
I was spectating at Myherin on Friday and one of the things which really stood out for me was that there seemed very little difference between the slower WRCs and S2000s and even Grp Ns.

I think it has as much to do with drivers as anything else. I was disappointed that you could really visually see the driving talent dry up after the first 5 or 6 cars.

In summary I would say:

- WRCs (especially Citroen) sounded slightly better than I thought. Nice and grumbly at low revs, but Ford especially sounds too muffled and they change gear to early.

- S2000s pretty much as I expected. You can hear them coming for longer and they look more agile than WRCs, which I prefer.

- Top Grp Ns better than I expected. They look good on gravel, but I don't like them on asphalt becuase they are too soft and heavy looking.

In summary I would prefer to see more manufacturers and good drivers in S2000 cars than just a handful in WRCs.

S1600T could be the perfect solution, if indeed it does bring more manufacturers in.

Wim_Impreza
25th October 2009, 21:19

The Condroz was a very wet and muddy event. On dry tarmac, S2000's are really boring to watch.

Josti
25th October 2009, 21:32
The Condroz was a very wet and muddy event. On dry tarmac, S2000's are really boring to watch.

I have to agree on that. Though, current World Rally Cars aren't a big joy on asphalt either.

In any way, I don't think S2000's are perfect either, but I think in WRC competition (Loeb, Hirvonen etc. behind the wheel) they could be quite a good watch. But as what Simmi pointed out, it's more important to make rallying cheaper and get more manufacterers to join the championship, because in these conditions the series is slowly dying.

snellman
25th October 2009, 22:15
but wouldn't they be allowed to fit turbos in the s2000 cars?

Tomi
25th October 2009, 22:24
S 2000 should have been someting better. They lack power and even more importantly: The chassis are too stable. They act too much like tarmac cars. Sure they can slide sometimes, but low power and good control makes no heart jump in my trunk!

Lets hope that there is enough spectators at Himos next year to push the s2000 up the hill.

Buzz Lightyear
25th October 2009, 23:07
Did I not read that the lastest from FIA central is that they would also S2000 with 1.6T, and normally aspirated S2000, and GpN... and tweak the rules that all cars would be off equal performance. Might be complicated, but could be done roughly with restrictors, then tighened up with ballast.

alleskids
26th October 2009, 16:10
WRCars will stil be the cars to have in WRC 2010, but the Ford and Citroen M1teams have to use the 2009 specifications. They are not allowed to devellop the cars in 2010, so no more homologations for them.
The FIA has stil not yet decided what specifications wil be allowed on the 1.6 turbo concept :(

Allyc85
26th October 2009, 16:50
Did I hear right yesterday that WRC cars will be restricted mor next year to make the power more similar to group N and S2000 cars?

Allyc85
30th October 2009, 13:47
Anyone?

Mirek
30th October 2009, 15:05
I don't think so but it's just my opinion, I have no information about that.

Rally Power
30th October 2009, 20:15
Did I hear right yesterday that WRC cars will be restricted mor next year to make the power more similar to group N and S2000 cars?

2010 WRC cars will use 2009 specs (GPweek, page 18). Obviously won’t match them with N4 and S2000 and will give Citroën and Ford more time to prepare future cars!

Maybe off-topic: besides Opel and MG, witch S2000 cars use S2000 touring cars modified engines?

Allyc85
30th October 2009, 21:29
Ah I see. I just caught the end of what the commentators were saying at Walters Arena and thought it couldnt be right.

Cheers :)

Mirek
30th October 2009, 23:24
Maybe off-topic: besides Opel and MG, witch S2000 cars use S2000 touring cars modified engines?

I think that Fabia engine is based on Seat WTCC unit (also by Oreca), of course further developped. I'm not sure though...

OldF
31st October 2009, 10:43
WTCC cars have little bit different regulations regarding valves. A WTCC engine’s valve diameters for a 4-valve cylinder head is: intake = 34 mm, exhaust = 28 mm. In S2000 rally the valves are those homologated in the N-group (2500 manufactured).

Francis44
31st October 2009, 10:55
Why not fit a Turbo in s2000 car?? It's not like will double the cost.

grugsticles
31st October 2009, 10:59
Why not fit a Turbo in s2000 car?? It's not like will double the cost.
Initally your right, fitting a turbo to a S2000 car is not that costly, but its the associated changes that are required to make the car, or more so the drive-line, reliable is where the costs increase.

Francis44
31st October 2009, 11:28
Initally your right, fitting a turbo to a S2000 car is not that costly, but its the associated changes that are required to make the car, or more so the drive-line, reliable is where the costs increase.

I understand what your saying....But WRC is the top category in rally and the top category menas top machinery and teams with money, you dont see F1 changing the formula of the cars very much because teams can't afford to design one, if a manufacter wants to enter rally with low costs it's okay, enter in IRC or something....This is not how it should be done....If Manufacters dont have the money look elsewhere. I suspect that this S2000 story will hurt the sport itself and less and less spectators will travel huge amount's of miles too see poor cars struggling to go fast on the stages, because we have to face it, non hardcore fans spectators dont care about the drivers, they want to see huge, powerfull, and noise cars.

AndyRAC
31st October 2009, 13:20
I understand what your saying....But WRC is the top category in rally and the top category menas top machinery and teams with money, you dont see F1 changing the formula of the cars very much because teams can't afford to design one, if a manufacter wants to enter rally with low costs it's okay, enter in IRC or something....This is not how it should be done....If Manufacters dont have the money look elsewhere. I suspect that this S2000 story will hurt the sport itself and less and less spectators will travel huge amount's of miles too see poor cars struggling to go fast on the stages, because we have to face it, non hardcore fans spectators dont care about the drivers, they want to see huge, powerfull, and noise cars.

The huge expense of a WRCar has damaged the sport - so much, that we only have 2 Manufacturers. That is unsustainable, and together with less than brilliant media coverage; something had to change, i;e the car regs. Also, it could be that Rallying is no longer relevant to Manufacturers, though I hope not.
Personally, I'd like simple, but inexpensive cars, that are loud, spectacular; based on all the Hot Hatches we see on the roads.
I'm not totally convinced by the S2000 cars, but if it gets more Manufacturers involved, then that's the way to go. Probably followed later by the S1600T cars. Hopefully we'll then see 4-5,6,7 Manufacturers with maybe 3 car teams, and plenty of Privateers.

Brother John
1st November 2009, 08:10
The huge expense of a WRCar has damaged the sport - so much, that we only have 2 Manufacturers. That is unsustainable, and together with less than brilliant media coverage; something had to change, i;e the car regs. Also, it could be that Rallying is no longer relevant to Manufacturers, though I hope not.
Personally, I'd like simple, but inexpensive cars, that are loud, spectacular; based on all the Hot Hatches we see on the roads.
I'm not totally convinced by the S2000 cars, but if it gets more Manufacturers involved, then that's the way to go. Probably followed later by the S1600T cars. Hopefully we'll then see 4-5,6,7 Manufacturers with maybe 3 car teams, and plenty of Privateers.

I agree entirely with you AndyRAC and we all have to think also about socio-economic development.