PDA

View Full Version : What will Jean Todt do for the WRC.....?

GigiGalliNo1
25th October 2009, 15:00
What will Jean Todt do that Ari Vatanen couldn't do for the WRC sport?!

I could see Ari doing a much better job at promoting and working on the WRC... more that Jean Todt.... but I must admit I don't know who Jean is or what his past motorsport history is.

Any thoughts guys?

GigiGalliNo1
25th October 2009, 15:01
Ok - Peugeot sport in the 80's.

badterminal
25th October 2009, 15:08
Sod all!!.

Francis44
25th October 2009, 15:26
Let's wait he may surprises all.

Josti
25th October 2009, 15:44
Ok - Peugeot sport in the 80's.

Plus he was a codriver for years, even almost became world champion with Guy Fréquelin in 1981.

As a rallyfan, I'd prefered Vatanen, but I think Todt still knows the sport well. At least, let's hope so, because I haven't seen the word 'rallying' in any article or interview about the FIA election (F1 this, F1 that...).

GigiGalliNo1
25th October 2009, 15:46
Plus he was a codriver for years, even almost became world champion with Guy Fréquelin in 1981.

As a rallyfan, I'd prefered Vatanen, but I think Todt still knows the sport well. At least, let's hope so, because I haven't seen the word 'rallying' in any article or interview about the FIA election (F1 this, F1 that...).

To me he just pop'd out of no where....

SubaruNorway
25th October 2009, 16:01

He ran the Ferrari F1 team for many years

Josti
25th October 2009, 16:38

Well, He has quite a record. To be perfecly clear.

- WRC codriver in the 1970's and early 80's. 4 wins in total, 2nd in the championship in '81 with Guy Fréquelin, ironically behind Vatanen.
- Became head of Peugeot Sport and introduced the 205 Turbo 16 in 1984. The team took the constructors and drivers title in '85 and '86.
- Peugeot left WRC after the demise of the Group B, to enter Paris-Dakar. Winners in ´87, ´88, ´89 and 1990 (and in ´91 with Citroën).
- Peugeot went to Sportscar racing, took Le Mans wins in ´92 and ´93.
- Peugeot refused to enter F1, so Todt left to join Ferrari. Was a team manager until 2007 and then became CEO of Ferrari until early 2009.

Oh yeah, he is also married to a former Bond girl. :p

Sulland
25th October 2009, 16:47
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Todt

Donney
25th October 2009, 18:05
And ironically Vatanen has driven for him in many ocassions and very succesfully.

Rally Power
26th October 2009, 13:43
Todt’s reputation comes from his resolution capacity, and God knows how urgently needed is a decision about the 2011 WRC regulations…

Other main issue to be resolved by the new FIA president is the cohabitation of the two main international rally series, WRC and IRC. Their rivalry is becoming more and more obvious and the sport wont profit from it.

Todt connections on both series – Chandler that has supported the ISC deal is one of Todt’s V.P. and Nicolas, member of Eurosport Events, is a Todt long time friend - could be a decisive aspect to establish a proper balance between WRC and IRC.

If Todt’s capacity to transform F1 is limited, his main job will be the “circus” pacification after Mosley’s troubled years, in world rallying we can only expect from him a truthful reform. Nothing less is acceptable.

Rally_Rocks
26th October 2009, 15:12
I hear one of the first things that he has done is to remove Rally Bulgaria from the 2010 WRC callendar. With Rally Argentina already commited to IRC there are no plans to replace it. Thanks Jean!

Tomi
26th October 2009, 16:11
Dont know much about Todt, but when he was at Peugeot he was a quite fair guy. Hopefully he listen to the rally comissions ideas.

Helstar
27th October 2009, 04:12
The team took the constructors and drivers title in '85 and '86.

1986 title a total farce, thanks to the people who were in maF1A at that time obviously. Let's hope something different starting from now, but I'm pessimist (because in this way I won't get disappointed ^^).

Josti
27th October 2009, 08:58
1986 title a total farce, thanks to the people who were in maF1A at that time obviously. Let's hope something different starting from now, but I'm pessimist (because in this way I won't get disappointed ^^).

Not surprised this comes from an Italian point of view. ;)

Peugeot's exclusion in San Remo was a farce, they did nothing that breached any homologation rules. But I sort of agree, the FIA was very inconsistent at that time and obviously didn't care much about rallying (not that much has changed since, but let's hope it does now with Todt).

Helstar
27th October 2009, 15:37
Not surprised this comes from an Italian point of view. ;)
Peugeot's exclusion in San Remo was a farce, they did nothing that breached any homologation rules.
lol it has nothing to do to being italian or not, Alen is finnish btw !
You seem too young and don't remember (or maybe weren't even born) ? Or you must have weak memories... let me refresh you: even WITHOUT the exclusion Alen had won the championship ! But what did maF1A decide to favour Peugeot ? Let's DELETE the whole rally ! No points for nobody ! ROTFL !

Tomi
27th October 2009, 16:28
Forgot 1986 incident, have to take back a little when said Todt is fair, according to Markku Lancia and Peugeot did have a gentlemans agreement that the outcome of the Olympus Rally desides the winner, Todt did not keep his word, Alen was quite pissed, he said he took such risks he has never taken before.

Rally Power
27th October 2009, 17:46
I do remember S. Remo incident: at the end of 2nd leg, italian technical commissaries found Peugeot side protections illegal - considered to provide aerodynamic effect - and decided to exclude the french cars before rally’s end.

Cars were scrutinised before rally and inspected in previous courses, and side protections always considered legal.

At disqualification time, Peugeot’s cars were dominating the Lancia fleet, and Alen was delayed after several punctures…

After S.Remo, Peugeot appealed to FIA’s court and was found innocent. Because Peugeot cars were exclude during the rally, final results were simply invalidated.

Only aspect to censure FIA was the court delay, witch came several weeks after last season rally, making Alen take unnecessary risks at RAC and Olympus.

Josti
27th October 2009, 20:23
lol it has nothing to do to being italian or not, Alen is finnish btw !
You seem too young and don't remember (or maybe weren't even born) ? Or you must have weak memories... let me refresh you: even WITHOUT the exclusion Alen had won the championship ! But what did maF1A decide to favour Peugeot ? Let's DELETE the whole rally ! No points for nobody ! ROTFL !

I winked at that remark, you shouldn't take it serious. After the exclusion, Biasion was in the lead, and he and Cerrato let Markku by in the closing stages. And it's quite controversial that the Italian organisation favoured the protest of the Italian Lancia team without a proper reason.

Rally Power's explanation is the extention of what I was trying to say. And me being "too young" has nothing to do with it, I've read and saw lots of material about the subject.

But as I agreed with you, the FIA didn't play a good role in this either.

AndyRAC
27th October 2009, 20:41
Jean Todt will do exactly what Bernie tells him.....i;e nothing.

janvanvurpa
29th October 2009, 00:12
Forgot 1986 incident, have to take back a little when said Todt is fair, according to Markku Lancia and Peugeot did have a gentlemans agreement that the outcome of the Olympus Rally desides the winner, Todt did not keep his word, Alen was quite pissed, he said he took such risks he has never taken before.

I was there after I DNF on SS19, and HOLY PAASKA POIKI!
I run into Arne Hertz and we watch some stages being we both spent years in V4 Saabs and he was giggling and had giant smile the whole time. Kept saying "Now THIS is real rally!!!"