PDA

View Full Version : Works Healey DG95

Terence Bower
24th October 2009, 08:31
Hi,I'm new to this forum but wondered if anyone might have any ideas as to the best Archive site to continue my research on Donald Grimshaw and his Healeys.I know/have photographic proof that the car was shunted heavily on,I think,the 63 Monte,unfortuneatly the kind soul who sent me the photo cannot remember the dat he bought the car.I am aware of the fact that the car completed the 62 Monte and of Graham Robsons excellent book on the cars,just trying til fill in the last pieces of the puzzle. Thanks in advance,Terence

FAL
27th October 2009, 20:43
As you'll know, Robson writes that DG95 was the former works SMO745. Turner also writes somewhere that Don Grimshaw's car was ex-works.
I noticed DG95 for sale not so long ago, described as "eventually works spec but not ex-works".
I've not seen Peter Browning's book, so don't know what he says about it.

If it was a race car question, I would unhesitatingly answer that Autosport/The Nostalgia Forum (TNF) was the best place to ask but we rally history people are a very small minority on there. Graham Robson's son Hamish does post there however. Don Barrow has also appeared on there and might know something as a contemporary (or ask him via his web site?).

The obvious I suppose is a/the "Big" Healey Club but I sometimes find owners' clubs are short on competition detail.

Terence Bower
9th November 2009, 09:19
Hi Fal,thanks for the response.DG 95 is a rally car,Coy's had advertised it as 'being close' etc,wrongly at that,another rather long story that I'll not go into.
Donald actually owned two works cars,there was also a replica that was sold on but that car lacked some of the 'works' mod's as are still present on DG95.
I am trying to get info on what happened to the car in 63/64. I have a photograph of the car having been shunted on what I am told was the Monte,quite heavey left front and some damage to the right rear wing.I have the 'after' photo of when the car was repaired.Indeed,after restoring the car for a previous owner,the evidence of the frontal repair was still there,just trying to put dates together etc.

Francis44
9th November 2009, 09:48
What car is this??!!

Terence Bower
9th November 2009, 15:57
It's one of the works Healeys that Donald Grimshaw bought direct from the works.It was fitted with the 2.9ltr engine and not the earlier 2.6s

FAL
16th November 2009, 20:58
If the Monte in 63 or 64, the best place on line to find (or ask for) old photos is probably here:
http://www.forum-auto.com/sport-auto/theme51/sujet243862.htm
(let me know if French is a problem and I'll ask there)
I've got a DVD of the 63 Monte but don't have access to it right now.

FAL
16th November 2009, 21:18
Also it might be worth asking on the "Rally History" thread in the "World Rally Championship" section on this forum if anyone has results of early 60s European rallies (Monte, Tulip, Coupe des Alpes?) that include Don Grimshaw or photos of Healey DG95.

Terence Bower
26th November 2009, 08:58
Many thanks Fal,sorry for my absence,been a bit busy of late.