PDA

View Full Version : Lotus interested in IndyCar alongside new F1 effort

Giuseppe F1
20th October 2009, 17:20
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091020162601.shtml

Lotus eye IndyCar and Le Mans
20/10/09 16:26
Ambitious plans for Lotus outside of F1

The new CEO of the Lotus Group has revealed greater ambitions in motorsport, outside of Formula One. Dany Bahar, once Dietrich Mateschitz's right hand man at Red Bull, is now in charge of Lotus, whose name will be used by a new Malaysian-owned Formula One team in 2010.

"We will investigate participation in IndyCar series, GT and Le Mans racing amongst other series around the globe to demonstrate the shared technology," said Bahar.

However, it was clarified that the Lotus F1 team will be separate from Group Lotus, and reports on Tuesday said the Malaysian carmaker Proton - the owner of Lotus - is looking over the team's licence agreement for use of the name.

E.A. © CAPSIS International
Source: GMM

Chamoo
20th October 2009, 20:01
I'd doubt we'd see the Lotus name in the IRL, unless they bring engines with them. I don't think Lotus would want a Honda powering a car they have their name on.

However, I would love to see this group bring their talents to the IRL. If they have the money they say they do, it would be a welcome addition to the lineup.

DBell
20th October 2009, 20:10
I'd doubt we'd see the Lotus name in the IRL, unless they bring engines with them. I don't think Lotus would want a Honda powering a car they have their name on.

Considering the cozy relationship they have developed with Toyota due to using Toyota based engines for their road cars, then it would be hard to see them have race cars powered by Honda without jeopardizing that relationship.

Jag_Warrior
20th October 2009, 20:13
I'm not sure that Lotus really has engines to bring. Doesn't Proton source Toyota engines for use in the Lotus Elise/Exige? I don't think the Esprit is built anymore. So isn't about every car they make now some variation of the Elise?

Still, this will be interesting, if Proton can buy or sponsor a team in the IRL under the Lotus name.

NickFalzone
20th October 2009, 23:55
The Lotus Esprit was always one of my dream cars. I would definitely like to see them in the series, as a manufacturer.

Easy Drifter
21st October 2009, 01:43
There are a lot of old cliches that could apply here.
One is don't bite off more that you can chew.
Get your F1 team operational and competetive before you even consider another series.

grungex
21st October 2009, 03:00
I don't think Lotus would want a Honda powering a car they have their name on.

Why not?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Lotus_100T_left_Honda_Collection_Hall.jpg

Lousada
21st October 2009, 10:21
Why not?

The difference being Lotus the Racing Team and Lotus the Car Manufacturer. If I understand correctly this F1 team is derived from the Car Manufacturer.

From the looks of it, these guys are overly ambitious. That they are investigating multiple racing series indicate to me that they are looking into the world engine concept.

Oli_M
21st October 2009, 11:15
There seems to be a number of "Lotus" companies...... and the connection between them all can be a little complicated.

Lotus cars (road cars) I believe are owned by Proton/Malaysian government. Team Lotus (the F1 team) is a separate entity, however funded by a consortium including Malaysian money, and (I believe) hence the rights to use the name "Lotus". This is not connected to the previous Lotus racing teams (in either F1 or Indycar) in any way other than name.......

Obviously more teams and more exposure = good thing, but the real worry is how long would they be around for in the long term?

Chris R
21st October 2009, 13:21
It seems like any Lotus racing car that comes along now is a Lotus in name only - there is no continuity or real connection to the original company or Colin Chapman - is there??

That being said - Indycar desperately needs something to spice things up - another solid manufacturer would be great (which, I am guessing also precludes the new "Lotus")

grungex
21st October 2009, 17:58
Old history. Why not show a John Player Special with a Cosworth? Times, and relationships, have changed.

So what? The statement was "I don't think Lotus would want a Honda powering a car they have their name on." Your post does not bolster that statement.

grungex
21st October 2009, 17:59
If I understand correctly this F1 team is derived from the Car Manufacturer.

I believe this is incorrect.

Jag_Warrior
21st October 2009, 18:24
The Lotus situation is, and has always been, very convoluted. As best I understand, the new F1 team is owned by or being funded by a Malaysian group with ties to Proton, which owns Group Lotus (the road car company). The Group Lotus road car company and the Team Lotus racing team were separate entities as of the mid 50's, as best I can remember. But after Team Lotus went tits up in the mid 90's, James Hunts' brother (David?) bought the rights to Team Lotus (the grand prix team). After being bounced from one company to another, Proton eventually ended up with Group Lotus (road cars and engineering outfits). I don't know if the Hunts sold the rights to this new group of racers to use the "Team Lotus" name, or if they will use the "Team Lotus" name in F1. But the person quoted in the OP is with Group Lotus, the car company.

It's so screwy that I've read that GM thought they had bought the F1 racing team when they bought Group Lotus in the mid 80's. Group Lotus engineering did some work for Team Lotus over the years, but they were never really one and the same.

Except for a name with rights attached to it, the grand prix racing team hasn't really existed for over a decade. The car company is essentially the same company that Chapman once owned, though like Jaguar and Lamborghini, it's had its share of different owners.

My memory is not what it used to be. But I believe the above is essentially correct. Someone can fact check it though - I probably missed something somewhere.

mileman
23rd October 2009, 04:35
Old history. Why not show a John Player Special with a Cosworth? Times, and relationships, have changed.

Or - a Lotus type 29 with a Ford Fairlane engine? This Lotus "dreaming" is bringing back fond memories of when Dan Gurney got Colin Chapman and Ford together back in the 60's. In 1963 they barely lost the 500, and then won the Bettenhausen 200 at the Mile for the first ever Indycar rear engine victory with the legendary Jim Clark driving.

I was lucky enough to be there to witness an incredibly dominating performance by Clark. It was a boring race from the standpoint that he lapped the entire field excepting A.J. - but it was a treat just to see Clark. That year Clark won seven F1 races and the championship in addition to his Indycar performances. Ah - for the good old days. Ha!

There's an older article about the Lotus effort and the Milwaukee race at:

http://www.allamericanracers.com/dino/case.html