PDA

View Full Version : Sebastien Loeb video from Citroën UK

CitroenUK
20th October 2009, 11:16
Hi all!

My name's Ben Bose, and I'm a representative of Citroën UK. We're trying to take a first few steps in being a little more social online, and are starting off by making contact with some communities who are, hopefully, interested in talking with us.

We've just set up a YouTube page (http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialCitroen), to showcase some of our favourite videos around the web - involving Citroën cars, surprisingly enough :-).

The first video we've picked out is of Sebastien Loeb in the WRC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEcPL4uGpWU). We'd love your comments, and suggestions for cool other videos to post.

I'm not trying to sell anything, and feel free to say "Hi!" to me below, I'll do my best to respond ASAP.

Ben

MrJan
20th October 2009, 13:07
Fair play for reaching out but I'm not sure that was the best video to showcase. Ken Block did pretty much the same thing and a lot of people weren't overly happy as it doesn't show rallying in it's true form. Might be different for that video as everyone knows that Loeb is 20 times the rally driver Block could ever be but thought I'd warn you :)

Also my advice would be to try and find videos that aren't that common, Youtube etc. is packed with rallying stuff (most of it carp footage on camera phones) so careful selection can go a wrong way. personally I'd quite like to see older footage of the Grp B type stuff etc. Videos of things within the last 5 years or so are relatively common so a bit of nostalgia is always welcome :) Just IMO of course ;)

Brother John
20th October 2009, 13:37
Hi all!

My name's Ben Bose, and I'm a representative of Citroën UK. We're trying to take a first few steps in being a little more social online, and are starting off by making contact with some communities who are, hopefully, interested in talking with us.

We've just set up a YouTube page (http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialCitroen), to showcase some of our favourite videos around the web - involving Citroën cars, surprisingly enough :-).

The first video we've picked out is of Sebastien Loeb in the WRC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEcPL4uGpWU). We'd love your comments, and suggestions for cool other videos to post.

I'm not trying to sell anything, and feel free to say "Hi!" to me below, I'll do my best to respond ASAP.

Ben

We want to see rally and not this B*llSH!T! :eek:

MrJan
20th October 2009, 13:39
We want to see rally and not this B*llSH!T! :eek:

I warned you :D :p :

CitroenUK
20th October 2009, 14:03
@Mr Jan Yeo: Thank you, I really appreciate the tip! Do you have any examples of some of the older stuff? I'm not, as you can probably guess, an expert in rallying per se, so any more examples on what I should be hunting for would be good. I'd like to improve the channel with some more videos!

@Brother John: Sorry to offend - I did check with the mods before posting, and didn't intend to cause any problems. If you have any examples of good stuff, rally- and Citroen-wise, I'm happy to add it to the channel with a thank you! As I note with Mr. Yeo, I'm learning about the rally side of things; please do PM me if you want.

Josti
20th October 2009, 14:32
Fair play for reaching out but I'm not sure that was the best video to showcase. Ken Block did pretty much the same thing and a lot of people weren't overly happy as it doesn't show rallying in it's true form. Might be different for that video as everyone knows that Loeb is 20 times the rally driver Block could ever be but thought I'd warn you :)

Also my advice would be to try and find videos that aren't that common, Youtube etc. is packed with rallying stuff (most of it carp footage on camera phones) so careful selection can go a wrong way. personally I'd quite like to see older footage of the Grp B type stuff etc. Videos of things within the last 5 years or so are relatively common so a bit of nostalgia is always welcome :) Just IMO of course ;)

I agree with this post. This particulair video doesn't really showcase what Citroën is achieving in rallying, let alone what rallying is actually about. A nostalgia factor would indeed be nice (although in Citroën's case, the Group B era should be left alone :p ), but the stunning victories with the F2 Xsara in 1999 is something Citroën should be proud of. That including their recent success over the years, should make enough footage for a great highlight video.

But it's nice to see that people are making work out of this, because you rarely (if not at all) see the link to rallying in commercials or short videos when promoting their production models (I remember Fiat did a nice one on that with the Punto Abarth).

msten
20th October 2009, 14:37
I this vid is a good one, "rally and Citroen-wise" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwiOoT1868o&feature=related

Rallyper
20th October 2009, 15:28
Hi!

Maybe you could be so kind and tell us here on the forum some hot news about WRC-stuff regarding Citroen and even WRC on its all.

You seem maybe to be involved of some kind? ;)

Allyc85
20th October 2009, 17:20
Hi all!

Ben

Nothing wrong with posting videos like that. Some people on here need to pull their heads out of their arses and realise that some people like different things.

I think a mix of proper rallying footage and stuff like you posted will be great :D

serial jeff
20th October 2009, 17:25

It's a fine idea, but as lots of other people have mentioned, that is not "Sebastien Loeb in the WRC" and that isn't rally driving. Anyone with a car and a handbrake can spin around... Seb's real skill is shown when he's flying down twisty gravel roads at 150+ kph.

Onboards are where its at! :p

Buzz Lightyear
20th October 2009, 20:36
this one is not bad...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hvt4_sordo-crash-cyprus-rally-2006_auto

AndyRAC
20th October 2009, 21:01
Maybe a slightly unfair question, but why haven't Citroen made more of their Rallying success? Putting a few stickers on a car doesn't really cut it, does it?

PuddleJumper
20th October 2009, 22:42
Sorry but I have to agree with what others have posted, that's not rallying. In fact, if Mr. Loeb did that on a rally he'd likely get a ban or fine from the FIA!

As the official Citroën UK channel on YouTube I would heartily recommend showing something which showcases the winning pedigree of the C4 and the history of Citroën in the WRC. If you have access to, and permission to use official WRC material, I'm sure you could put together something showing the number of WRC wins the C4 has scored and why privateer drivers like Petter Solberg choose it. Whether it's on gravel, snow, ice or tarmac, the car is fast, strong and reliable, which is something you want to promote as a selling point for the road car.

If you have unlimited access to WRC footage, we'd all love to see some onboard videos, perhaps something exclusive to your channel, not already seen on the official WRC channel on YouTube. Things like a behind the scenes look at the building of the WRC cars at the Citroën factory in France, or videos of testing sessions or what the drivers do on their day off would be interesting. Some of these might already have been done for WRC programs, so could easily be uploaded, if you are allowed to.

JFL
20th October 2009, 23:11
Does it have to be Loeb?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S-Cy53Bpg4

serial jeff
20th October 2009, 23:22
Nice video... Petter was flying through there.

grugsticles
20th October 2009, 23:41
Personally I think you are going to struggle with this for one main reason.

To me, modern rally cars are very boring.
You turn the wheel, the car turns.
You stamp on the brakes, the car stops.
You hammer the accelerator, the car flys off in a straight line.

If you look at previous promotional videos, in particular from Group B and later Group A, the cars are constantly sliding under power with the tail out on big angles, the driver vigorously wrestling with the steering wheel , and most of all the car bordering the limit of control and speed.
You just cant do that with modern WRC cars like the C4 as it translates to slower stage times.

The famous Climb Dance video of Vatenen in the 407 is a good repusentation of what rallying can be like. The shots of the car nearly going over the edge while power sliding even captures the attention of non-motorsport inclined people through the 'Wow-factor'.
Ken Block has been successful in his publicity stunt videos because its all about the visual appeal of a car power sliding, smokeing the tyres and co-ordination between car and driver to pull off various stunts.

If your task is the make a publicity vido about Loab more than Citroen then find video of his base roots. His first car, first rally, French championship, Super 1600 days then move on to the battle to get up to speed on gravel in 2002/2003.
Then move to the 5 world championships.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

N.O.T
21st October 2009, 00:13
yes its a good video to showcase the company to sell cars...the average car buyer likes that short of stuff...put some half naked females in there as well and viola you have the average incompetent male who roams the streets pretty much covered.

For a rally fan it really don;t offer much though apart from a little smile and then he clicks on the video No1 on the related video list....only to get dissapointed that the rally sounds are doubed with some gay music.

Lousada
21st October 2009, 10:40
Nothing wrong with posting videos like that. Some people on here need to pull their heads out of their arses and realise that some people like different things.

I think a mix of proper rallying footage and stuff like you posted will be great :D

He is asking opinions on a rally forum. So it's not what some people somewhere may or may not perhaps like, it is what WE like. He is asking for OUR opinion about this, not our opinion about what other people might like.

My opinion:
This video is not doing it for me. I want to see rally videos, for example full stage onboards. I want to see content that is not anywhere else, stuff that Puddlejumper already remarked.
This channel could also be used to support British rallydrivers who drive Citroëns. There are a few drivers in the British Rally Championship with Citroën C2's who could sure help every bit of publicity.
Also I would like to see other championships. For example, Mark Watson driving a Xsara was last years Rallycross Open Champion. Their last race is coming up the end of October, do something with that?

CitroenUK
21st October 2009, 12:13
You guys are great, thank you!

Sorry for my delays in responding - I'm reading and thinking, I promise.

OK, so, first off, I need to change the title of the video if it's not rally driving or, indeed, brilliant :) . Any suggestions, bearing in mind I'm not actually going to be obscene? ;) .

Secondly, thank you so much for the video suggestions. I'll message Mr. Pasanen, and look around for some Sordo videos, preferably with crashing!

I'm working on getting some more videos - we have a few on the Citroën WRC site (http://www.citroen.co.uk/microsite/rally/). If anyone has a chance to pop over and tell me if any of these are actually any good from a rally expert's perspective, that would be awesome. I'll ask around about Group B footage; the Wikipedia page makes for some gruesome reading, though Josti's videos on it look incredible.

Lastly, specific replies:

@Josti - thank you, and PM'd.

@msten - Thanks, that's great! I'll contact Mr. Pasanen, for he clearly is very cool.

@Rallyper - I'll ask, and let you know.

@Allyc85 - Thank you very much - we'll get there!

@serial Jeff - Any favourites for the onboards?

@Buzz Lightyear - Nice username :) . Thank you for the video - and ouch!

@AndyRAC - That's not a question I can meaningfully answer, I'm afraid. The Citroen site (http://www.citroen.co.uk/) has a focus on Loeb and racing this week and next, if that's any help. If you have any suggestions on other stuff, please feel free to PM me.

@PuddleJumper - Thank you for the feedback, I'll pass that on, and see what can be done. I'll look at the videos on the Citroen WRC site, as noted above.

@JFL - Nope, it doesn't have to be Loeb - thank you!

@grugsticles - Thank you very much for the tips, and the insight onto what will work, and how things have changed; it's fascinating. I'm looking to find and put up good videos of Citroen in general, and start talking to people, rather than promote any specific thing. And the Climb Dance is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, thank you. The bit around 3:05 where he skids by the vertical drop is, as you say, a "wow-factor" :-).

@N.O.T - Sorry it doesn't work for you, I hope that some of the WRC stuff on the microsite is a bit better, and I'll keep on looking around YouTube for more cool stuff. But thank you for checking it out - I really appreciate you taking the time!

@Lousada - C2s and other rally championships, understood. Again, sorry the video isn't right for you, but I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks again guys, this is great!

Ben

noel157
21st October 2009, 12:50
"preferably with crashing!"

Ben, don't get too "tabloid" on the crashing thing. Sure it's part and parcel of rallying but try and not sensationalize things.

MrJan
21st October 2009, 12:55
Mind you it shouldn't be too hard to find videos of Dani crashing :D :p :

Old Frankie Duvet used to be a dab hand at it too

CitroenUK
21st October 2009, 13:29
noel157 - gotcha, and thanks!

N.O.T
21st October 2009, 18:53
You guys are great, thank you!

Sorry for my delays in responding - I'm reading and thinking, I promise.

OK, so, first off, I need to change the title of the video if it's not rally driving or, indeed, brilliant :) . Any suggestions, bearing in mind I'm not actually going to be obscene? ;) .

Secondly, thank you so much for the video suggestions. I'll message Mr. Pasanen, and look around for some Sordo videos, preferably with crashing!

I'm working on getting some more videos - we have a few on the Citroën WRC site (http://www.citroen.co.uk/microsite/rally/). If anyone has a chance to pop over and tell me if any of these are actually any good from a rally expert's perspective, that would be awesome. I'll ask around about Group B footage; the Wikipedia page makes for some gruesome reading, though Josti's videos on it look incredible.

Lastly, specific replies:

@Josti - thank you, and PM'd.

@msten - Thanks, that's great! I'll contact Mr. Pasanen, for he clearly is very cool.

@Rallyper - I'll ask, and let you know.

@Allyc85 - Thank you very much - we'll get there!

@serial Jeff - Any favourites for the onboards?

@Buzz Lightyear - Nice username :) . Thank you for the video - and ouch!

@AndyRAC - That's not a question I can meaningfully answer, I'm afraid. The Citroen site (http://www.citroen.co.uk/) has a focus on Loeb and racing this week and next, if that's any help. If you have any suggestions on other stuff, please feel free to PM me.

@PuddleJumper - Thank you for the feedback, I'll pass that on, and see what can be done. I'll look at the videos on the Citroen WRC site, as noted above.

@JFL - Nope, it doesn't have to be Loeb - thank you!

@grugsticles - Thank you very much for the tips, and the insight onto what will work, and how things have changed; it's fascinating. I'm looking to find and put up good videos of Citroen in general, and start talking to people, rather than promote any specific thing. And the Climb Dance is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, thank you. The bit around 3:05 where he skids by the vertical drop is, as you say, a "wow-factor" :-).

@N.O.T - Sorry it doesn't work for you, I hope that some of the WRC stuff on the microsite is a bit better, and I'll keep on looking around YouTube for more cool stuff. But thank you for checking it out - I really appreciate you taking the time!

@Lousada - C2s and other rally championships, understood. Again, sorry the video isn't right for you, but I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks again guys, this is great!

Ben

you sir are a master at your job...well done. Citroen UK should be proud of having you in their ranks.

urabus-denoS2000
21st October 2009, 19:36
CitroenUK,maximum respect to you my friend! ;)

cannyboy
22nd October 2009, 01:12
Any chance of a spin with Mr Loeb?
No harm asking :)

I'll take Sordos job if it's going as well.
Failing that, put a good word in for Kris Meeke.

janvanvurpa
22nd October 2009, 07:42
On bended knee beseeching you with hands clasped in earnest supplication I ask "Technical" shots (clear and steady and well lit) of the details of the whole car and previous versions. Suspension , hubs, brakes, intercoolers, manifolding, turbocharger, gearbox, diffs, links, details details,

In car, well OK but that shows the ROAD and it may be in Corsicxa or Finland but it doesn't show the car.

Hugely lacking since the advent of the "World Rally Car" rules is detail technical photos/vids.
None of it is secret since everything must be published and documented in the Homologation papers, but us the "interested laymen" are starving for details of what makes the car go, and stay together.

CitroenUK
27th October 2009, 17:26
Hi all!

Really sorry it's taken so long, but we've finally managed to get some - hopefully! - decent videos of actual rallying up on the channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialCitroen#g/u). There are two copies of each video, one in regular, and one in higher (though not HD, sadly) definition. I've also updated the title, description, and tags on the first video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEcPL4uGpWU), so it's not claiming to be something it's not. Lastly, we've chosen some videos for our favorites section, some based on what was suggested here, and some from Anna_VTR at the Saxo Sports Club.

An example of a higher definition video is this one of Ogier's second place in Greece. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBz4Yn95ucQ)

As usual, any comments or suggestions are very, very welcome!

@cannyboy - I suspect if I could arrange a spin with Mr Loeb, I might insert myself into the line ;-). Kris Meeke is an interesting one; I really enjoyed this video of him in a C2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpG7mr1OLRM) - I actually think that the car engine sounds are better than a rock track, at least most of the time.

@janvanvurpa - I hear you, and will make sure that I report that back; really sorry that I can't promise any more than that, but thank you so much.

@urabus-denoS2000 - Thanks, and right back at you :-).

@N.O.T. - Your comment put a really big smile on my face; you've very kind, and thanks very much. I really hope that the newer videos are at least a bit more in line with what you enjoy, and I'll keep on trying to find more stuff as I can.

And, just in case you thought I'd forgotten:

Hooray for Sebastien Loeb, Daniel Elena, Citroën, and victory in WRC 2009! :-).

Ben

Macd
27th October 2009, 20:00
Some kind of exclusive content would be good. Like some kind of interviews or old videos. Like Loeb in the JWRC.

CitroenUK
27th October 2009, 20:03
@Macd - Thank you, I'll take that on board!

pettersolberg29
27th October 2009, 20:14
Although some people don't like him (i.e. N.O.T), Petter Solberg is generally the most supported driver in the world. Some videos of him in a Citroen may get some more views from the obsessed fans like myself!

And like Macd said, clips of Loeb, Ogier and Sordo in their youth years with Citroens would be cool.

N.O.T
27th October 2009, 20:41
i just appreciated the fact that a person from a multibillion bussines company bothered to comment on every comment negative or positive, you almos never see that nowdays...that counts a lot fot the casual fan and person.

now i need a FULL incar coverage of the GB race from the Loeb/Elena and you even might get me happy :)

urabus-denoS2000
27th October 2009, 21:18
If only every P.R. employer in every team would be like you,rallying would be a much more popular sport than it is ;)

Congratulations once again ;)

As Macd said,put some older footage of Loeb (apart from FFSA Rallye Jeunes in an 106 and two rallies in a Corolla Super Seb drove only Citroens-from Saxo Kit Cars,Xsara Kit cars to the C4 - he is a true Citroen project ;) )

CitroenUK
27th October 2009, 22:12
Hey!

@pettersolberg29 - Understood, and thank you!

@N.O.T - I suspect full coverage is going to be tricky, but I will see if I can find anything! Is there anything here (http://www.citroen-wrc.com/spip.php?page=homeflash&langue=uk) that works for you?

@urabus-denoS2000 - Thank you! We'll get rallying to its proper place, sooner or later :-). And thank you again for the feedback - older footage, gotcha.

Ben