PDA

View Full Version : The future for the IRL?

vikingraider
17th October 2009, 15:49
I've watched the series since its inception and more so since the IRL ended up as the sole series after the demise of Champcar.

At this moment in time, I thought we were in for some changes within the IRL that would consolidate the series into a powerhouse for the future, with more competitive racing, a newer enhanced fan base, etc.

Sadly this didn't transpire and the current circus is a sad reflection of what might have been.

Was enough done once there was no more competition from Champcar, did TG really not understand what was required, did the people apart from TG who run IRL not know either? I don't have the answers to any of that nor answers on how to improve the series, but I do think I know that the series seems to be going nowhere fast.

On the surface, it looks like that each race is solely a contest between Ganassi & Penske as to who will win, all the others including Andretti racing, look like the best they can hope for is if the big 2 stumble, they might come along and pick up a win............see Coyne & Wilson. (not taking the win away from them, but it looked like a fluke and wasn't repeated)

The reality of life is, that the big 2, far outbudget the spending ability of any of the other Teams, and thus will win, be that by fair means or foul, but they will win. Unfortunately, you cannot legislate against spending money can you, so I don't know how there can ever be any sort of more equality in the racing? But I'd certainly be interested in hearing other peoples' opinion, ideas etc, as unless there are some sort of changes forthcoming, I sadly cannot see much of a future for the IRL.

Jag_Warrior
17th October 2009, 19:21
I think you're wondering the same things that a lot of us (most?) are wondering. Early on, I believe the IRL did have a mission statement (something besides winning the AOWR Civil War, I mean). But now, if the IRL has a mission statement, I'm not sure that anyone knows anything about it, besides the person who wrote it.

IMO, there is one pro racing series in the U.S. right now which is (philosophically) following the mission that the IRL originally set out on: Grand Am. Equipment stability, schedule stability, team stability, decent sponsorship and TV package, variety of chassis and affordable engines, not much of an emphasis on being "high tech"... and TV numbers which easily rival or exceed those of (non Indy) IRL races. So what happened to the IRL? Almost looks like Grand Am stole its thunder, eh?

How can it be fixed? The question that's asked most often on here. I think it's safe to say that none of us really know. And sadly, I'm not sure that anyone in the IRL knows either. But we are beginning to see some of the exact same wishful, hopeful theories that circulated when CART and CCWS were nearing the end (a big network TV package out of no where, mystery buyers with bags of money for all, title sponsors who are 95% there, teams that will expand... subject to sponsorship, etc, etc.). The rumor that the FIA/Bernie Ecclestone has an interest in the IRL is already floating around the bowl. As soon as I hear a Johnny Herbert/Jos Verstappen rumor, I figure you can reach for the light switch.

DBell
17th October 2009, 20:29
How can it be fixed? The question that's asked most often on here. I think it's safe to say that none of us really know. And sadly, I'm not sure that anyone in the IRL knows either. But we are beginning to see some of the exact same wishful, hopeful theories that circulated when CART and CCWS were nearing the end (a big network TV package out of no where, mystery buyers with bags of money for all, title sponsors who are 95% there, teams that will expand... subject to sponsorship, etc, etc.). The rumor that the FIA/Bernie Ecclestone has an interest in the IRL is already floating around the bowl. As soon as I hear a Johnny Herbert/Jos Verstappen rumor, I figure you can reach for the light switch.

The "how can it be fixed question" for me is being replaced by "can it be fixed at all". AOW racing has been off in the wilderness for so long that that I'm thinking there may be no way back. The fan base that once was has only gotten older while the last 12 or 13 years has not been helpful for attracting the next generations of fans. Times change and the entertainment taste change over time. Boxing, tennis and even MLB have all seen a big decline in their popularity over the last couple of decades. The IRL is in a serious catch 22 situation where, without more people interested in the sport, the sponsors aren't willing to spend money on the sport. Without an influx of money coming in, the sport can't maintain itself. Without big money coming in, the sport cannot make the changes that are necessary to even begin rebuild itself into what it once was. I don't think the current IRL package will ever reverse the downward trend that AOW has been in.

I agree with your observation that it's feeling like the end of Champ Car. I've thought this summer has had a feel of 06/07 Champ Car.

I do think Herbert and Jos are a bit old for even them to generate rumors. Maybe they are being replaced by Seabass/NP jr. ;)

Lousada
17th October 2009, 21:06
I agree with your observation that it's feeling like the end of Champ Car. I've thought this summer has had a feel of 06/07 Champ Car.

That was exactly what I was thinking. The rumours are getting more extreme, but concrete announcements are getting scarce.
For the first time the schedule does not look solid (Brazil?). After 2010 some oval contracts need to be renewed, I think every ISC track!? This might have critical implications for the schedule, let alone the IRL revenue.
Remember when Rocketsports en Rusports merged? That was the first time people realised even the owners didn't really believe anymore. Now the same is happening with Vision Racing who might not make it in 2010.