PDA

View Full Version : Do u guys really like Chicken Tikka Masala?

harsha
15th October 2009, 07:50
took a english citizen for dinner yesterday...he was all praises for Chicken Tikka Masala...now i've tasted it and I didn't find it all that great...Butter Chicken over Chicken Tikka Masala anytime eh storm ;)

Storm
15th October 2009, 08:24
Where did you eat this British national dish then?

Of course the one we get here is quite different to what they make over there but still Butter Chicken it is ;)

MrJan
15th October 2009, 08:26
Chicken Tikka can be vastly different depending on where you have it. I think that for most it's a 'safe' curry, not as hot as most stuff but still a bit more spice than a Korma. Personally I'd rather have a Jalfrezi or Balti

GridGirl
15th October 2009, 08:47
Its OK but chicken Tikka Masala and chicken Korma are two dishes that I would absolutely never order if I went to a Curry or Balti house. Apparently the korma at my other halfs local Balti house is really really nice but I cant bring myself to order it.

I found out from a stock take this year that pretty much all curry brands in the UK are actually made in the same place by the same company. ;)

Bezza
15th October 2009, 09:07
Agree with that, GG.

Try a Jalfrezi or Madras for a better curry. Better still, make your own from fresh ingredients - had a Madras the other day.

Seriously, it was textbook.

harsha
15th October 2009, 09:12
Where did you eat this British national dish then?

Of course the one we get here is quite different to what they make over there but still Butter Chicken it is ;)

went to a restaurant in hyderabad,my guest saw it in the Menu and he insisted on ordering it...He liked it,said it was tasting around the same as what it tastes in UK.

Aikidoka
15th October 2009, 11:59
I do like a Chicken Tikka Masala from time to time, but it can be a bit sweet, and a lot of places use way too much sauce.

But for me, variety is the spice of life [pun intended] and I like to choose something different every time I go for a curry. Tried a Tandoori Salmon the other day - delicious!

Mark
15th October 2009, 12:33
Our local place does nice curries but the Chicken Tikka Masala, although very nice is coloured luminous red, it looks radioactive!

donKey jote
15th October 2009, 19:15
Jalfrezi for me, but only with loads of those little green chilis :up:
failing that, a windy vindi or -if the place does it- a phaal :devil: :facelick:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Robinho
15th October 2009, 20:12
i do like Tikka, not fussed for the Masala part. definately prefer Butter chicken though, good call.

last time a went out i had a very nice Venison Curry at the Melbourne Arms

J4MIE
15th October 2009, 23:10
I do like a nice Tikka :up: I much prefer creamy curries, though I don't like Korma. I can eat hot curries but really don't enjoy them, so generally avoid.

Eki
17th October 2009, 14:29
U guys eat woodpecker (Tikka = woodpecker in Finnish)?

And why does it have to be from Masala (Masala is a village in Southern Finland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masala,_Kirkkonummi).

Brown, Jon Brow
17th October 2009, 16:20
This thread is making be hungry

Daniel
17th October 2009, 16:32
I do like a nice Tikka :up: I much prefer creamy curries, though I don't like Korma. I can eat hot curries but really don't enjoy them, so generally avoid.
I like a nice korma :) Don't see the point in eating something that's so hot you can't taste the nice delicate flavours.

pino
17th October 2009, 16:44
I still prefere my chicken & curry (hot) or the italian way (onions, carots, olives, garlic, rosmary and white wine) :lips: :D

harsha
17th October 2009, 16:46
I still prefere my chicken & curry (hot) or the italian way (onions, carots, olives, garlic, rosmary and white wine) :lips: :D

give the wine :p : you can keep the rest :cheese:

Brown, Jon Brow
17th October 2009, 17:01
I like a nice korma :) Don't see the point in eating something that's so hot you can't taste the nice delicate flavours.

TBH i reckon some people just eat the hottest curries because they think it makes them look like more of a man

Daniel
17th October 2009, 17:04
Yeah I think so too. I don't mind a bit of heat but too much just ruins it for me.

harsha
17th October 2009, 17:55
Yeah I think so too. I don't mind a bit of heat but too much just ruins it for me.

then andhra cuisine is def not for you guys.....

donKey jote
17th October 2009, 21:40
TBH i reckon some people just eat the hottest curries because they think it makes them look like more of a man
you reckognise those by looking at their faces to see whether they're enjoying it ;)

Fact is, the more you eat the more you crave and the higher the level you can take while still enjoying and savouring the different spices... my mouth waters at the mere thought of hot food :D

Chicken vindi at chez-donkey today for lunch... mine with additional habanero sauce :dozey:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Tomi
17th October 2009, 22:57
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif[/img]

Thats true, I eat very tasty and hot so that my nose is running, Im not a big fan of indian food, but Thai is spicy aswell.

Valve Bounce
18th October 2009, 05:11
took a english citizen for dinner yesterday...he was all praises for Chicken Tikka Masala...now i've tasted it and I didn't find it all that great...Butter Chicken over Chicken Tikka Masala anytime eh storm ;)

I have tasted some wonderful Indian cuisine in my time in Hong Kong - one of my favourites is the Ashoka Restuarant. There are numerous good Indian resturants and "Curry Clubs" in Hong Kong. As most people know, there is a huge Indian population in HK.

From all our eating out experiences, my wife has come up with a beaut Curry Chicken dish which we love, and my daughters insist that she makes it for them each time they visit us.

It is made with a mixture of Vindaloo and Madras Curry pastes as well as an addition of chilies to give it more heat. I also like to add a couple of hard boiled eggs into it (Malay style) as I just love the taste of the eggs.

We eat the curry with Basmati Rice.

Chicken Tika Masala, my wife likes but I am not that fond of.

Bezza
19th October 2009, 12:54

Some people probably do. But I like hot curries like Madras, Jalfrezi and Vindaloo because I have a high tolerance of spicy food. I can't stand a Korma, its too creamy for me. Just personal preference.

The link is probably that I have such a bad sense of smell that spicy food isn't as strong as it is to people with more sensitive smell & therefore taste.

Daniel
19th October 2009, 12:58
Some people probably do. But I like hot curries like Madras, Jalfrezi and Vindaloo because I have a high tolerance of spicy food. I can't stand a Korma, its too creamy for me. Just personal preference.

The link is probably that I have such a bad sense of smell that spicy food isn't as strong as it is to people with more sensitive smell & therefore taste.
Good point about peoples sense of smell. That might be a factor. Funny thing is I usually hate creamy foods but love Korma.

J4MIE
19th October 2009, 21:57
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I am hungry....will maybe have to go and do some extra travelling on the asian sub-continent to try soem of the proper stuff :lips:

Daniel
19th October 2009, 21:58
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I am hungry....will maybe have to go and do some extra travelling on the asian sub-continent to try soem of the proper stuff :lips:
No WRC events there though Jamie :p

J4MIE
19th October 2009, 22:06
Sometimes you have to sacrifice the sport you love to have decent food, Finland (makkara and steak apart) is pretty lean on the decent food front :s

harsha
19th October 2009, 22:09
you people should try having hyderabadi biriyani...if it's available at your place

GridGirl
19th October 2009, 22:11
I'm going to the football tomorrow night. I can already predict that I will be having a chicken balti pie for tea washed down with Bovril. It's oh so wrong but tastes oh so good. :D

Edit: I haven't had a good biriyani in ages. I find that British people don't often eat or have never heard of biriyani. It's a bit of a British mentality that if you go to a curry or balti house that you must have a curry.

Daniel
19th October 2009, 22:12
Sometimes you have to sacrifice the sport you love to have decent food, Finland (makkara and steak apart) is pretty lean on the decent food front :s
One thing I had in Finland which I quite liked was kebab and rice. Perhaps not quite as tasty as my usual donner meat and chips but a whole lot more healthy and still quite tasty :)

BDunnell
19th October 2009, 22:13
One thing I had in Finland which I quite liked was kebab and rice. Perhaps not quite as tasty as my usual donner meat and chips but a whole lot more healthy and still quite tasty :)

Rice with some sort of kebab is a cheap staple in Libya too. I must say the food there was really good.

CaptainRaiden
20th October 2009, 08:41
Damn, you guys should feel lucky you get to eat Indian food whenever. The part of Eastern Europe, where I am currently, there is NO Indian restaurant for miles, and the food people eat here is, well let's say bland, okay? Green chillies/cayenne pepper we get in the supermarkets are as spicy as cucumbers, and the bell peppers are sweet!

One good thing is that we get Basmati rice in the supermarkets, and with whatever I have in the kitchen, I manage to make spicy chicken curries from time to time. Made tandoori chicken in the oven not too long ago, and got surprisingly close to the original taste!

Saw a pack of frozen chicken/rice dish in the supermarket named "Indian Chicken". The ingredients had pieces of pineapple, corn and chicken with rice. :rotflmao:

Daniel
20th October 2009, 08:44
Lol pineapple, corn and chicken..... I feel sorry for you!

harsha
20th October 2009, 08:44
Saw a pack of frozen chicken/rice dish in the supermarket named "Indian Chicken". The ingredients had pieces of pineapple, corn and chicken with rice. :rotflmao:

:rotflmao:

Tomi
20th October 2009, 09:09

Thats true, especially in small villages it is, but in Helsinki or i guess in other bigger towns its not any problem to find whatever food you like.

Daniel
20th October 2009, 09:14
Yes the small towns are a bit rubbish for food.

stevie_gerrard
9th November 2009, 14:59
You can get some really nice chicken tikka masallas and kormas in the Uk provided you know the restaurants to go to. Not 5 star quality but not down the back of an alley quality either. When choosing a curry, i normally go for a balti or jalfrezi, but i do enjoy making a korma at home.

Dave B
9th November 2009, 18:27
A like a Tarka. It's like a tikka, but a little 'otter.

schmenke
10th November 2009, 16:25
...Finland (makkara and steak apart) is pretty lean on the decent food front :s

The most delicious wild salmon I've ever eaten was in Helsinki (well Vantaa), cedar planked by a birch fire.
Also, BBQ'd wild game sausage (not really makara), mostly raindeer and rabbit stuffing :facelick:
And of course, my all time favourite since I was a kid... Karjalainen piirakka :D

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the chicken tikka thread :p : , which is not my personal favourite. I much prefer a spicy daal or a creamy lamb korma!

VB, try Gaylords in Kowloon :up:

harsha
10th November 2009, 17:05
One good thing is that we get Basmati rice in the supermarkets, and with whatever I have in the kitchen, I manage to make spicy chicken curries from time to time. Made tandoori chicken in the oven not too long ago, and got surprisingly close to the original taste!

I don't think you can go wrong with some chicken marinated with lemons,curd and some masala :D

Eki
10th November 2009, 19:13
Yes, I've never seen haggish anywhere in Finland.