PDA

View Full Version : Monster Energy Ford Team

Pages : [1] 2

Doon
14th October 2009, 20:10
I read in Motorsport News that Ken Block is planning to start his own team, doing selected rounds in 2010 and a full season in 2011. He is currently in talks with Malcolm Wilson....

....and that Chris Atkinson will drive the 2nd car.

Anyone else heard this?

Juha_Koo
14th October 2009, 20:15
Sounds interesting. I've gotten the image that Atko and Block are friends, so I guess it has some sense to it.

Francis44
14th October 2009, 20:29
OH NOES!!!!

Just kidding....

Now seriously, from all american rally drivers, Block is the only one i really think that has the chance to shine, he's fast and unlike Pastrana he does rally because he likes and if he takes Atkinson with it than major good news!!!!

N.O.T
14th October 2009, 20:34
yes Brock/block/glock or what his name is should quit doing those promotion american stuff running around cones and cows and small cats and try some real rallying and see if he is man enough.....Pastrana another wonder boy wasting his time doing everything tried rallying and got creamed.

pettersolberg29
14th October 2009, 20:35
Would be great news. Wilson wants Block but its a matter of money. Personally I'd have thought Block has money by the barrowfull to give for a top car.

Doon
14th October 2009, 20:50
Would be great news. Wilson wants Block but its a matter of money. Personally I'd have thought Block has money by the barrowfull to give for a top car.

I guess he has, and I think he'd be about Rautencrash pace......but it would be worth helping Atko out!

Saw a video of Block and Atko playin in Mk2's, so i guess they are mates. I hope it comes together.

wotaguy
14th October 2009, 21:14
he has gained a bigger profile , thanks to dirt 2, if he is bringing money to the table, theres no harm another team in wrc is great news, but lets not start the slagging off block/pastrana thing again threr rally drivers all the same , irespective of there expierance :)

306 Cosworth
14th October 2009, 21:19
A Focus WRC would look pretty cool in Monster colours :D

Allyc85
14th October 2009, 21:31
Agreed, surely some photoshop experts can knock something up ;) :D

Mirek
14th October 2009, 21:32
Hummer WRC would be better :D

grugsticles
15th October 2009, 00:06
Now Im going to go out on a lib here and possibly get shot down drastically, but oh well...

Is it just me or is Rallying as we know it about to make a big change?
To me, the American influence on rallying (through Blocks participation and his marketing stunts) isnt really a good thing.
Yes, the guy has more skill than most Joe Blow's,
Yes, the guy has seemingly substantial backing,
Yes, the more interest generated in the sport the better in the long term,

but...

do we really want rallying, which in my mind is an art form of navigating a car through a wide variety of stages while thinking tactically about road position, grip levels, mechanical preservation, all in the quickest possible time as opposed to a larger/longer version of the X games/Race Of Champions that its turning into be?

If there is truth to the Block/Atkinson relationship and possible partnership id be absolutely stoked as I believe Chris deserves a decent chance at the WRC title. If a good deal is done there, similar to Petter/Citreon's current deal, then I dont see why Chris couldn't be a world champion.

N.O.T
15th October 2009, 00:25
Now Im going to go out on a lib here and possibly get shot down drastically, but oh well...

Is it just me or is Rallying as we know it about to make a big change?
To me, the American influence on rallying (through Blocks participation and his marketing stunts) isnt really a good thing.
Yes, the guy has more skill than most Joe Blow's,
Yes, the guy has seemingly substantial backing,
Yes, the more interest generated in the sport the better in the long term,

but...

do we really want rallying, which in my mind is an art form of navigating a car through a wide variety of stages while thinking tactically about road position, grip levels, mechanical preservation, all in the quickest possible time as opposed to a larger/longer version of the X games/Race Of Champions that its turning into be?

If there is truth to the Block/Atkinson relationship and possible partnership id be absolutely stoked as I believe Chris deserves a decent chance at the WRC title. If a good deal is done there, similar to Petter/Citreon's current deal, then I dont see why Chris couldn't be a world champion.

rallying is not yet threated by those american jokes yet...look at pastrana he came he saw how ridiculous he was and left.....same goes for this guy he will come he will get creamed by the rallying nobodies and will return home to continue his fake stage stunts and slow motion cameras and a million tries before they look good.

Tomi
15th October 2009, 05:32
If this rumour is true it would be good for Atkinson, but there is so much crap made up in mindless heads people post as rumour , a good example is Räikkönen is joining Solbergs team, lol, very likely yes.

L5->R5/CR
15th October 2009, 06:36
yes Brock/block/glock or what his name is should quit doing those promotion american stuff running around cones and cows and small cats and try some real rallying and see if he is man enough.....Pastrana another wonder boy wasting his time doing everything tried rallying and got creamed.

Ken has done some international events (with not so stellar results).

Whether he has the driving skill to be successful I do not know nor profess him to have.

He does, however, understand what it takes, and where his skills are.

His passion, desire, and dedication are very Petter like...

Ken's showmanship would be interesting to see in the WRC as he brings a certain entertainment and personality quotient to events.

Personally I think he would be smarter to run the S2000 cup, but I can see the motivation to expand his calendar as the current situation in the states for rallying as it relates to his team is about to radically change.

Doubtful he'll be much slower than Wilson, Al-Qassimi, and Conrad after a season under his belt...

Also, from the FWIW department, I would think it more likely that it would be a single car effort unless Monster brings A LOT of money to the table, as I would expect Ken to not make more than half of the events so unless they only run a second car some of the time Catko and Ken trading off would be more likely (although there are other American's Malcolm is keen on that maybe could fill a second seat?)...

WRCfan
15th October 2009, 07:19
I think DC would be brought in to front a good chunk of the cash. Ken has said time and time again how passionate he is for the sport.

I think it could be viable, Monster is going crazy with sponsorship recently. DC shoes would not be short of cash to pay up either with Ken being the co-founder of the company.

If it gets Atko back in the seat then its a win win!

Also a Monster Focus would be an eye catcher!

macksrallye
15th October 2009, 07:29
the current situation in the states for rallying as it relates to his team is about to radically change.

What do you mean?

ProRally
15th October 2009, 07:48
oho... the car is out of the bag now....

urabus-denoS2000
15th October 2009, 08:40
Block owns Monster too?

I think that if he comes to WRC it will be a win-win situation for everyone ;)

bluuford
15th October 2009, 08:43
I guess he has, and I think he'd be about Rautencrash pace......but it would be worth helping Atko out!

Saw a video of Block and Atko playin in Mk2's, so i guess they are mates. I hope it comes together.

Well, I think you are bit hard on him. Looking his times on New Zealand I believe he would be bit faster that Rautenbach from the word Go!

And I think that the team would be Super 2000 cup with new Fiesta. It is somehow logical that an American is going to take part in WRC in American brand. Definitely it would be good for the overall rallying publicity in US. And you have to remember that Block practically did those few international rallies as his first proper rallies. As I understood, they are not writing pace notes on their own in US?

Koppomsbo
15th October 2009, 10:19
At least we are going to see the Fords in nice liverys then...

Josti
15th October 2009, 13:10
Well, i'm not really a fan of the "Monster" green, but the gymkhana Subaru looked decent and I think everything is better than the awful Abu Dhabi livery of the factory Ford's.

As far as the rumour goes, there's an article about it on autosport, so it seems to be quite serious.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79442

Atkinson could do some good in a Focus, but I don't expect much of Block. He'd be good for a couple of stunts, though. Should spice up the WRC...

GigiGalliNo1
15th October 2009, 13:31
What would the Americans think of having Abu Dhabi sponsored on Block's American car?!

haha

But I think it would be good for the sport, more coverage in the US.... but hope the WRC won't turn into something like the X-Games.... WRC is WRC X-Games is X-Games. Leave it at that. :)

Block will impress after a season or two... don't forget the regulations are changing in a year or so.... So he would get use to driving a current WRC then have to learn how to drive a lower/different spec car the season after!

cannyboy
15th October 2009, 15:28

Are you so completely clueless as to the current state of rallying, and the dire consequences it faces if it does not gain new fans and competitors, that you posted the above?

The WRC has just started to be shown in the us again, and this is a huge win to get the sport more exposure.

Added to the mix that Chris would be part of this proposed team, I cannot for the life of me see why you would be so blinded to one of the biggest promoters of the sport.

Block never claimed to be a future champion, but give the man some credit for trying to bring some life back to a sport on the brink.

The extra exposure that guys like this bring, puts a bigger spotlight on the sport, so that the chamions get more respect and more manufacturers may be tempted to join the fray.

L5->R5/CR
15th October 2009, 15:31
Well, I think you are bit hard on him. Looking his times on New Zealand I believe he would be bit faster that Rautenbach from the word Go!

And I think that the team would be Super 2000 cup with new Fiesta. It is somehow logical that an American is going to take part in WRC in American brand. Definitely it would be good for the overall rallying publicity in US. And you have to remember that Block practically did those few international rallies as his first proper rallies. As I understood, they are not writing pace notes on their own in US?

Ken went to NZ to do NZ Championship rallies to get 2 pass recce experience.

He also personally finances running some 2 pass recce US and Canadian events, but due to the cost of the US championships as well as the need for volunteers almost all of the events utilize organizer supplied notes (commonly produced from the JEMBA system) with a good deal allowing a single recce pass for modifications.

As for the changes coming to the situation in the states. I'll post more details on Sunday when my source will not be in jeopardy of the negative consequences revealing the information provided to me could bring.

Gard
15th October 2009, 15:38
Are you so completely clueless as to the current state of rallying, and the dire consequences it faces if it does not gain new fans and competitors, that you posted the above?

The WRC has just started to be shown in the us again, and this is a huge win to get the sport more exposure.

Added to the mix that Chris would be part of this proposed team, I cannot for the life of me see why you would be so blinded to one of the biggest promoters of the sport.

Block never claimed to be a future champion, but give the man some credit for trying to bring some life back to a sport on the brink.

The extra exposure that guys like this bring, puts a bigger spotlight on the sport, so that the chamions get more respect and more manufacturers may be tempted to join the fray.

Well said. You must just ignore some of the bashers here. They probably never going to contribute with anything positive in this forum

N.O.T
15th October 2009, 16:37

rallying needs to get exposure by rally drivers not 1000 tries drift sick dogs who waste their time doing everything.

Chris would be a nice adition but again he might be forced to stop on stages like kankkunen did for the italian joke.

cannyboy
15th October 2009, 17:13
rallying needs to get exposure by rally drivers not 1000 tries drift sick dogs who waste their time doing everything.

Perhaps spending less time posting and more time thinking, you would see the that the wrc is not exactly brimming with talent at the moment.
More exposure = more manufacturers = more opportunities for drivers.
Anything that helps in this regard should be welcomed.

But I am sure your 10,397th post will be just an informative as the previous 10,396 or them..........

Allyc85
15th October 2009, 18:09

%100 spot on mate :)

N.O.T
15th October 2009, 18:20
Perhaps spending less time posting and more time thinking, you would see the that the wrc is not exactly brimming with talent at the moment.
More exposure = more manufacturers = more opportunities for drivers.
Anything that helps in this regard should be welcomed.

But I am sure your 10,397th post will be just an informative as the previous 10,396 or them..........

most of these jokes bring sponsors and when the sposors see how crap they are they advise them to turn elsewere...when was the last time you saw someone who is clueless about the sport he is involved bring more exposure ?? he maybe get 2-3 mins of coverage and thats it.....manufacturers need more to enter the wrc than sick sponsor dogs.

Motorsportfun
15th October 2009, 18:21

Totally agree, not a full stop is needed. :D

WRC, without Dave Richards and Gary Connelly as the commercial pinnacle of the sport, is finally going in the right way.

Mixed surfaces, long-term deals with best events (Finland was the 1st one, but I think that France, Poland, Turkey [will move to Istanbul area], etc.), more flexible format, from 2 to 4 days of competition, more interesting cars from 2011...

...WRC is going better and better, though. But someone insists looking to the past. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Motorsportfun
15th October 2009, 18:27
most of these jokes bring sponsors and when the sposors see how crap they are they advise them to turn elsewere...when was the last time you saw someone who is clueless about the sport he is involved bring more exposure ?? he maybe get 2-3 mins of coverage and thats it.....manufacturers need more to enter the wrc than sick sponsor dogs.

I don't know if Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority and Red Bull are angry about the TV-coverage, as they already renewed their contracts. :D

Allyc85
15th October 2009, 18:43

Do you ever have anything positive to say as you seem like the most miserable person ive ever seen on the internet!

Juha_Koo
15th October 2009, 18:58
Do you ever have anything positive to say as you seem like the most miserable person ive ever seen on the internet!

LOL, I was about to ask the same question. :)

COD
15th October 2009, 19:00
Why is everyone assuming it's a WRC? Wouldn't it be more logical to do S2000 next year as it will THE main car for 2011...

anthonyvop
15th October 2009, 19:03
Pastrana and Block are teammates in the Rally America Series. Pastrana has won 3 championships in a row and Block has won none. Pastrana regularly beats Block with the same equipment.

Current Rally America points with one event to go

1.Travis Pastrana 129
2.Andi Mancin 95
3.Andrew Comrie-Picard 85
4.Ken Block 66

pettersolberg29
15th October 2009, 20:08
That suggests Block is worse than awful...but I'll think the best until I'm proven wrong!

JFL
15th October 2009, 20:10
Why is everyone assuming it's a WRC? Wouldn't it be more logical to do S2000 next year as it will THE main car for 2011...

Very good point! :)

Doug Woods
15th October 2009, 20:23
Pastrana regularly beats Block with the same equipment.

While that statement is true, it is misleading.

Block either wins or does not finish (usually by crashing).

Ken should not be underestimated. He will do well at times and not so great at other times.

However, as you can see from this thread, he will attract attention. Which is what his sponsors want and probably something that the WRC could use.

grugsticles
15th October 2009, 20:25
After thinking about this over night I have come to look at it from another perspective.

We, myself included whinge and complain about WRCars being to like F1 cars in that they seem to run on rails. The old days of maintaining momentum regardless of what angle the car was on are gone.
Obviously that reduces the visual appeal to the spectators.
Although Block may or may not be a championship contender he will certainly be good to watch as thats how he drives - with flare and aggression. In that way he shares similarities with McRae and Vatanen.
You never know, he may turn out to be quicker than we all expect.

Tomi
15th October 2009, 21:04
You never know, he may turn out to be quicker than we all expect.

Split personality, or why do you use we?

anthonyvop
15th October 2009, 22:45
While that statement is true, it is misleading.

Block either wins or does not finish (usually by crashing).

Ken should not be underestimated. He will do well at times and not so great at other times.

However, as you can see from this thread, he will attract attention. Which is what his sponsors want and probably something that the WRC could use.

I was not attempting to denegrate ken block in any way I was just correcting the assumption that Pastrana has not talent.

grugsticles
15th October 2009, 23:01
Split personality, or why do you use we?
We being the majority of users on this forums, unless I am miss-interperating the opinions of others?

steve_spackman
16th October 2009, 01:17
Pastrana and Block are teammates in the Rally America Series. Pastrana has won 3 championships in a row and Block has won none. Pastrana regularly beats Block with the same equipment.

Current Rally America points with one event to go

1.Travis Pastrana 129
2.Andi Mancin 95
3.Andrew Comrie-Picard 85
4.Ken Block 66

Just another rich kid joining the fray, driving alongside the likes of Conrad Rautenbach and Matt Wislon.

Got the money, but not the talent.

Pinto
16th October 2009, 01:25

i agree and this N.O.T lad is just a sh1.t stirer once a clown allways a clown

anyway back to the topic in hand this can not be a bad thing it can only help to improve the wrc and bring back another quality driver in atko and i woulnt judge block untill we have seen him in action in a world car

Doug Woods
16th October 2009, 01:38
Just another rich kid joining the fray driving alongside the likes of Conrad Rautenbach and Matt Wislon.

ROTFLMAO.

If this occurs, Block would be one of the oldest drivers in the WRC.

Unlike the other two, Block got his money the old-fashioned way, he earned it.

Now he gets to spend it on things he likes to do.

For some reason, this seems to send most of the internet rallyists into a frenzy.

Mitch555
16th October 2009, 02:39
I don't understand the bitching. Its great news for the WRC.

1. Ken Block is extremely famous through his gymkhana videos. A lot of people enjoy his driving so are naturally going to be interested in the WRC because he is in it.
2. It brings another team to the championship, and possibly brings back another decently fast driver (Atkinson) into the fray.
3. Brings USA back into the WRC in some shape or form. Which could possibly see more sponsors attracted to the WRC (e.g. Rockstar Energy Drink)
4. A team committing for three years, which is good if other private teams fold (I personally don't think Munchis will bother for much longer)

Can't wait to see Ken and Alex Gelsomino in the championship!

tmx
16th October 2009, 03:07
You can pretty much expect lots of negativity about anything here, but this is such great news and completely surprising, I could never have thought of this. I missed watching Chris in competition, didn't knew he know Kevin that well. First WRC broadcast in USA, then this, both is going to results in increase rally interests in US. I would expect Chris to outperform Kevin and the Stobart team in the Ford. Ken is 41yo btw.

GigiGalliNo1
16th October 2009, 03:19
Just another rich kid joining the fray, driving alongside the likes of Conrad Rautenbach and Matt Wislon.

Got the money, but not the talent.

Though this is true.... would you rather just see Ford and Citroen teams only? Its good to have more variety like the Solberg brothers, Munchi's, Wilson and Conrad plus Novikov and the likes of others if I left them out.

At least Block is keen on coming on board to the WRC.... and a potential boost for the WRC and it's image.

Stop the negativity about it all. It's either someone new comes to join the WRC and people complain or people leave the WRC/Rule changes and people complain. WRC is what it is right now and be happy there even is such a sport that continues to be!

steve_spackman
16th October 2009, 03:27
Though this is true.... would you rather just see Ford and Citroen teams only? Its good to have more variety like the Solberg brothers, Munchi's, Wilson and Conrad plus Novikov and the likes of others if I left them out.

At least Block is keen on coming on board to the WRC.... and a potential boost for the WRC and it's image.

Stop the negativity about it all. It's either someone new comes to join the WRC and people complain or people leave the WRC/Rule changes and people complain. WRC is what it is right now and be happy there even is such a sport that continues to be!

Sorry i should of stated that i was being sarcastic in my last post...

Block entering the WRC will be a good thing in terms of exposure in the USA i agree 100%

GigiGalliNo1
16th October 2009, 03:29
Sorry i should of stated that i was being sarcastic in my last post...

Block entering the WRC will be a good thing in terms of exposure in the USA i agree 100%

Oh no that's okay, I wasn't attacking you but it seems that is what some people are thinking here in the forum and abroad....

All good :)

grugsticles
16th October 2009, 04:40
Block is 41 years old?
He certainly doesn't look it! I would have picked him for 30 tops!

WRCfan
16th October 2009, 06:14
It can be nothing but good news. Whoever said that he is not a rich-boy coming in, but rather someone who worked hard, earned his OWN money and now is enjoying the fruits of success is spot on.

Cant compare him to Conrad as daddy isn't funding anything here...

Tomi
16th October 2009, 06:40
Get's quite funny dimensions, this thread, whats the difference from where the money is? Is it better if a guy drive with own earned money or sponsor money, or daddys money it's all the same. Is Block bringing something of value to WRC? I think yes if he bring Atkinson back, even here is big toughts or wishes about how 2 seasons will develope Block as driver, he will never be any serious contender in WRC.

bennizw
16th October 2009, 08:15
What, is Block 41?! Wow! Just like Grugsticles I thought he was maximum thirty.

Daniel
16th October 2009, 08:43
Get's quite funny dimensions, this thread, whats the difference from where the money is? Is it better if a guy drive with own earned money or sponsor money, or daddys money it's all the same. Is Block bringing something of value to WRC? I think yes if he bring Atkinson back, even here is big toughts or wishes about how 2 seasons will develope Block as driver, he will never be any serious contender in WRC.

I agree. If it brings Atkinson back I guess it's a net improvement but I still wish guys like Block would just sponsor decent drivers rather than wasting money on himself. But it's his money......

Tomi
16th October 2009, 09:00
But it's his money......

Thats the case, motorsport on top level has always been expensive, some can arrange the sponsors needed, some can not, it has always been like this and will be in the future too, different case is if there is some really exceptional driver, then maybe some team might invest in him, else they offcourse take the sponsor money, it benefits the whole team.

AndyRAC
16th October 2009, 09:04
There has always been place for the wealthy Amateur/Privateer - however, they were usually seeded in the 20's or 30's. Now with the lack of competition, they're seeded in the top 10-15.
And, as another Ford team, there is always the possibility of being involved in 'running order tactics'.

Vojcek
16th October 2009, 09:25
Block is 41 years old?
He certainly doesn't look it! I would have picked him for 30 tops!
Yes. Block is 41 years old but in November celebrate 42

Maui J.
16th October 2009, 10:25
The unfortunate reality is that rallying is a sport where money speaks louder than pure skill.
Money (well lots of money) can buy you fame in this sport. Buy a WRC car, join the WRC circus and you become an instant rally celebrity.
You receive international television coverage, you are invited to sign posters during the pre-event signings alongside the real stars, your comments are broadcast live on Rally Radio, and with the state of the sport is at the moment you are able to get top 10 results.

Now, look at other sports to see if money can buy you a top ten result.
Athletics... money can't get you any closer to Usain Bolt.
Tennis... only talent can get you a start at Wimbeldon.
Golf... start hitting those balls as a kid, practice for the next 15 years and maybe you will be good enough to become a pro.
I could go on but I think you get the picture.

Now I'm not pointing the finger at Ken at all. I've meet him a few times at Rally NZ and he has a real passion for the sport. There's nothing wrong with that. He must know himself that he's not in the top echelon of drivers, but if he's wants to give the wrc ago, then go for it. If his team can drag Atko back into the mix, then I can only applaud him.

Can't wait to see the Monster Energy team at Rally NZ 2010.

Daniel
16th October 2009, 10:30
The unfortunate reality is that rallying is a sport where money speaks louder than pure skill.
Money (well lots of money) can buy you fame in this sport. Buy a WRC car, join the WRC circus and you become an instant rally celebrity.
You receive international television coverage, you are invited to sign posters during the pre-event signings alongside the real stars, your comments are broadcast live on Rally Radio, and with the state of the sport is at the moment you are able to get top 10 results.

Golf... start hitting those balls as a kid, practice for the next 15 years and maybe you will be good enough to become a pro.

Now I'm not pointing the finger at Ken at all. I've meet him a few times at Rally NZ and he has a real passion for the sport. There's nothing wrong with that. He must know himself that he's not in the top echelon of drivers, but if he's wants to give the wrc ago, then go for it. If his team can drag Atko back into the mix, then I can only applaud him.

I think that you've pretty accurately described the grievance that people on the forum have with the Ken Block's, Conrad Rautencrash's and so on of this world.

Tomi
16th October 2009, 10:37

Thats not really true, you can buy you a seat, but thats it, the rest is up to you self, I think to become a rallystar takes a little bit more than knowing how to sign autographs, guys like Rautenbach etc... are no more rallystars than you, even that they happen to drive in WRC.

Daniel
16th October 2009, 11:04
but these days you can get coverage just by competing with a WRCar in most events.

wotaguy
16th October 2009, 11:11
as with the prevoius thread about blocks gymkana video, this was allways going to be a subject of disscussion,
but andyRAC is right , along with others on here. privateers have been rallying alongside teams for years Fredric Dor for example, also ken has been rallying for a few years now started in standard group n , worked his way up, so what if rallies in U.S. arnt!! like WRC,its still rallying isnt it???,still fast , still exciting
same with rallying in China, Indonesia, India,ETC its still the sport we all love he could have plowed his millins into other things but chose what he loves rallying!!! all the better for the sport no matter which way you look at it.

AndyRAC
16th October 2009, 11:18
as with the prevoius thread about blocks gymkana video, this was allways going to be a subject of disscussion,
but andyRAC is right , along with others on here. privateers have been rallying alongside teams for years Fredric Dor for example, also ken has been rallying for a few years now started in standard group n , worked his way up, so what if rallies in U.S. arnt!! like WRC,its still rallying isnt it???,still fast , still exciting
same with rallying in China, Indonesia, India,ETC its still the sport we all love he could have plowed his millins into other things but chose what he loves rallying!!! all the better for the sport no matter which way you look at it.

It's funny you mention Frederic Dor - it was him I was thinking of. I seem to remember he had a Prodrive Impreza WRC, in either white or pale blue. Don't remember him getting stick for his lack of pace - though he was seeded low down.

I am evil Homer
16th October 2009, 11:33
If it gives a driver of Atko's qualities a drive I really don't care who runs the team. People really need to see the bigger picture here

Josti
16th October 2009, 12:12
I would welcome Block into the championship, especially when Atkinson comes along, but I hope he just threats rallying as it is, and doesn't promote it to America in the wrong way, like he does with those ridiculous stunts.

My fear is that the general American public likes to see that interpretation of 'rallying', rather than the way it is, which could never really break grounds in the USA I'm afraid.

wotaguy
16th October 2009, 12:42
yeah thats right andy, it was white, saw it years ago getting preped at Prodrive, and no i dont recall him getting stick, and his stunts i think are for the american market, dont forget rallying has a lot of competion over there from nascar, indy , etc , but i think he will learn alot from being with ford, and from atkinson, and as many have said if it brings back atko, then thats a good thing

koko0703
16th October 2009, 13:07
If Atko can get Ford, it's great news no matter who runs team. I personally don't care about Block and don't think he can have a big influence on the image of rallying in the US even if he runs in the WRC. I mean, not many people will be excited for a guy who tries so hard to get into, maybe, top 10 at best.

I am evil Homer
16th October 2009, 13:11
What Ken Block is very good at is publicity - see his You Tube vids etc. And for sponsors that means exposure, way more than they'll get with some stickers on the side of car travelling through a forest.

Okay he may not be the best driver out there but if he can build a team who knows what they could do. It's about time rallying got back oto having people who wanted to go out there and give it a go rather than spending their parents money ;)

cannyboy
16th October 2009, 15:08

The same is true for all motorsport.
Check out the F1 grid - most of them born with a nice big silver spoon in the right place. Senna - rich daddy - Barachello - rich daddy - they're all products of rich daddies.
Half the skill in motorsport has always been about finding the money to do the sport in the first place.

While I'd love if this was not the case, the average works rally car has always been more than the price of an average house or more, and most people just don't have that sort of money to throw around. Add to it a championship that goes around the world, and you can see why there is such a big barrier to entry, and why money rules the sport.

It's always been that way.

Atko is/was a trader and even his finances from that could not sustain him in rallying.

JFL
16th October 2009, 16:15
the average works rally car has always been more than the price of an average house or more, and most people just don't have that sort of money to throw around.
More like 2 or 3 average houses for a WRC car(where I live)..+parts+ +mech+ facilities + testing + obligated services (for a privateer) + + + :eek: :eek:

All WRC drivers should at least once a year competed in "cheap" equal Gr.N car delivered by one company to really see the differenses..and raced against the guys with no money..

Tomi
16th October 2009, 17:40
Half the skill in motorsport has always been about finding the money to do the sport in the first place.

And most drivers start to do this "finding the money" too late, it should be done soon as there is coming somekind of local success, not when they start on international level.

serial jeff
16th October 2009, 18:18
The same is true for all motorsport.
Check out the F1 grid - most of them born with a nice big silver spoon in the right place. Senna - rich daddy - Barachello - rich daddy - they're all products of rich daddies.

While I'd love if this was not the case, the average works rally car has always been more than the price of an average house or more, and most people just don't have that sort of money to throw around. Add to it a championship that goes around the world, and you can see why there is such a big barrier to entry, and why money rules the sport.

It's always been that way.

I agree completely. While it would be awesome if all the skilled drivers could get a chance at driving a world rally car, the fact is that money (and cars) dont grow on trees. Somebody needs to pay for them. Auto racing has always been a wealthy man's sport, especially at the top level.

Personally I'm glad Ken Block is showing an interest in the WRC. Sure, he may not have the skill of the WRC guys (excluding Conrad etc), but he's no amateur and he's bringing Chris with him.

Also, some of the stuff those Americans do with their rally cars is kind of awesome: http://espn.go.com/action/surfing/news/story?id=4565015

anthonyvop
16th October 2009, 18:58
......... I hope he just threats rallying as it is, and doesn't promote it to America in the wrong way, like he does with those ridiculous stunts.

You are right. The last thing rally needs is some contrived stunts for video consumption.
Could you imagine a champion like Loeb doing something similar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w1JUz-qP6g

Oh!!!!

Josti
16th October 2009, 19:37
You are right. The last thing rally needs is some contrived stunts for video consumption.
Could you imagine a champion like Loeb doing something similar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w1JUz-qP6g

Oh!!!!

Seems more like a sponsor promotion thing to me. Loeb, as a 5-time World Champion, is an excelent choise for exposure.

But wiith those stunts, Ken Block tried to lock an image on rallying which in my opinion is the wrong one, let alone it's not representable to what rallying is about. But if the message could be as good as his videos, I'm looking forward to seem them next year (WRC/Ken Block combination).

janvanvurpa
16th October 2009, 20:12
It can be nothing but good news. Whoever said that he is not a rich-boy coming in, but rather someone who worked hard, earned his OWN money and now is enjoying the fruits of success is spot on.

Cant compare him to Conrad as daddy isn't funding anything here...

Rautencrash at least doesn't pay people to produce extravagant, over-produced, over edited schlock consciously portraying himself to be some sort of super-driver.
Nor does he have an "Image management" company sending press releases out calling him a "Rally Super Star".

Further, while his driving is uninspiring in a way enough to turn even crazy fans into zombies, he has finished in the top 20 occasionally---thanks to the thinnest talent in WRC history, and does not consistantly crash out on the first or second stage.

Despite Block being 41, his business and life is all about impressing 10-14 year old suburban kids, and as we know, most games for that demographic have just what Block needs: a RESET button aka Superrally.

Good luck for Atko, strange state of affairs that a guy with reasonable talent doesn't have any sort of ride anywhere.

Saabaru
17th October 2009, 02:40
Rautencrash at least doesn't pay people to produce extravagant, over-produced, over edited schlock consciously portraying himself to be some sort of super-driver.
Nor does he have an "Image management" company sending press releases out calling him a "Rally Super Star".

Further, while his driving is uninspiring in a way enough to turn even crazy fans into zombies, he has finished in the top 20 occasionally---thanks to the thinnest talent in WRC history, and does not consistantly crash out on the first or second stage.

Despite Block being 41, his business and life is all about impressing 10-14 year old suburban kids, and as we know, most games for that demographic have just what Block needs: a RESET button aka Superrally.

Good luck for Atko, strange state of affairs that a guy with reasonable talent doesn't have any sort of ride anywhere.

Block is just like the rest of the pampered little rich kids that come out of the X scene with more money than talent who seeks rally as a last grasp at the spotlight in the twilight of their careers. I honestly don’t understand the hype over his stunt driving videos when it takes splicing together the best parts of a hundred passes to make a single pass video. Also don’t be fooled by hem crying about not having enough experience on two pass recce rallies, there are some USRC/NASA events with tow pass recce that he refuses to participate in. For what reason I don’t know, a lot of people in RA look down at the USRC. He might be playing it safe because he doesn’t want to be beaten by the likes of Seamus Burke or Martin Donnelly (two awesome drivers!!!). On the bright side it will be good to see hem on an equal playing field having his backside handed to hem by some truly talented drivers. Also whatever it takes to get Atkinson back on the stages!

Tomi
17th October 2009, 07:28

Thats a tragedy, i think he is the only one out there without a ride who could make top 4 fininshes with a competitive car.

ProRally
17th October 2009, 09:11
Just RUMORS says Ken himself yesterday :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hEYze1tnVk

WRCfan
17th October 2009, 10:01
He said he is exploring options for next year and what he says doesn't rule this move out. Not like he has to keen Subaru happy as they don't have a WRC team to supply him with cars.

A partial calendar in the WRC and rally US events are very capable of being executed. Malcolm Wilson has said he has talked to Ken, I think everyone is being tight lipped about details.

noel157
17th October 2009, 10:17
He said he is exploring options for next year and what he says doesn't rule this move out. Not like he has to keen Subaru happy as they don't have a WRC team to supply him with cars.

A partial calendar in the WRC and rally US events are very capable of being executed. Malcolm Wilson has said he has talked to Ken, I think everyone is being tight lipped about details.

+1. No denial, agrees that it's rumours but does not say that rumours are not true. Politician speak.

ST205GT4
17th October 2009, 10:30
Good on him if it's true.

If I had the money I'd buy myself a car and do the same thing. And I'd be surprised if a large percentage of people on this forum wouldn't do the same thing given the opportunity.

You only live once so you may as well do the things that you enjoy.

And anyone who thinks that motorsport at practically any level you care to name doesn't boil down to who has the biggest budget (yes even club level events) has either never competed in anything or is delusional. Why would top level sport be any different?

GigiGalliNo1
17th October 2009, 10:36
What Ken Block is very good at is publicity - see his You Tube vids etc. And for sponsors that means exposure, way more than they'll get with some stickers on the side of car travelling through a forest.

I haven't seen Loeb doing publicity for anything...... Block yes..!

If Loeb was more media friendly don't you think it would be better for the sport?

Like Petter Solberg?! Hollywood....?

Daniel
17th October 2009, 10:41
Media friendly or idiot friendly?

speedsnake74
17th October 2009, 11:38
Yes ken has money

Yes he has spent some on rallying...

But has anyone thought that maybe all the exposure he has generated for monster, may just of put him in a position to ask them for how ever much malcom wants to run 2 cars in the wrc ?????

He may not actually be paying for anything............................

but does it really matter ?

for those of you who are oh so moral then pick on the Russian/Zimbabwean moneybags - at least with them you can all speculate WHERE the money has come from...

Daniel
17th October 2009, 12:11
Sadly we know just where Conrads money has come from

ProRally
17th October 2009, 12:36
Yes ken has money

Yes he has spent some on rallying...

But has anyone thought that maybe all the exposure he has generated for monster, may just of put him in a position to ask them for how ever much malcom wants to run 2 cars in the wrc ?????

He may not actually be paying for anything............................

for those of you who are oh so moral then pick on the Russian/Zimbabwean moneybags - at least with them you can all speculate WHERE the money has come from...

At least we know Ken worked for his money....
Good for him.

Google his history (of DC shoes) he started with nothing and got lucky

Kamikaze
17th October 2009, 12:36
Media friendly or idiot friendly?

You think Solberg is an Idiot cause he is Media friendly?
Or his Fans are Idiots cause they like it ?

Sometimes i wonder who is the Idiot.........

Daniel
17th October 2009, 12:39
I never called Solberg an idiot. All I'm saying is that rallying was fine before people started hanging out the windows and driving with the doors open.

Kamikaze
17th October 2009, 12:45
This Forum was also fine, before someone came and made 31,468 Posts

Francis44
17th October 2009, 12:47

Yay now this thread turned into a fanboy discussion....Seriously stop!!!!

pettersolberg29
17th October 2009, 13:01
Its not a fanboy discussion (despite my name!) but saying rallying was fine before Solberg came is not just wrong, but also a bit petty and stupid.

If and when Solberg leaves the WRC, the fanbase will be cut by about half, and WRC will be even more dull than it is at the moment.

I suppose Mikko could always be a character who the fans love for his exciting ways...or maybe not. Petter and Gigi are WRCs only characters nowadays.

pettersolberg29
17th October 2009, 13:02
And to make it topical, my two cents worth are that Block would also add to the championship - not results-wise but it might give it more coverage and attention. He's not as dull as the Wolrd Teapot Convention, unlike drivers like Mikko, Seb, Sordo et al.

Tomi
17th October 2009, 13:19
And to make it topical, my two cents worth are that Block would also add to the championship - not results-wise but it might give it more coverage and attention. He's not as dull as the Wolrd Teapot Convention, unlike drivers like Mikko, Seb, Sordo et al.

Maybe, but rally is still a sport where skill and results are what counts, thats the reason those guys you mentioned are where they are, then when its more like figure skating or dancing things might be different.

pettersolberg29
17th October 2009, 13:25
Yes results count, and yes that should be the focus. But Block being involved doesn't mean Loeb/Mikko are going to get worse does it?

Results count, but any entertainment drivers like Block can bring is a welcome bonus in my opinion.

L5->R5/CR
17th October 2009, 13:27
I haven't seen Loeb doing pubicity for anything...... Block yes..!

If Loeb was more media friendly don't you think it would be better for the sport?

Like Petter Solberg?! Hollywood....?

Wasn't there a media circus stunt show for Citroen and Red Bull in Argentina this year before the rally?

I seem to remember Seb doing figure 8s and going over little jumps on some urban street.

Then there are the media days by the test track in France where he takes journalists out for a lap or two....

Daniel
17th October 2009, 14:33

How can you remember the forum before then. You weren't even on it before I was here. What a meaningless little whiney silly statement.

Daniel
17th October 2009, 14:46
Wasn't there a media circus stunt show for Citroen and Red Bull in Argentina this year before the rally?

I seem to remember Seb doing figure 8s and going over little jumps on some urban street.

Then there are the media days by the test track in France where he takes journalists out for a lap or two....
Things like that have their place in the WRC but I think the problem is that when the show gets confused with what makes the sport good.

Back in 2000 when I first saw Solberg in a WRCar I was a great fan of his and personally he seems like a nice guy. But I don't like the clowning around that he does. For me top level international motorsport is about professionalism and not just arsing around. The problem for me is that because of drivers basically playing to the crowd it overshadows the skillful driving of guys like Loeb and Mikko. The problem is not Loeb, it's people who are too ignorant to realise what they're seeing.

One of my favourite moments of rallying was back in 2002 I think when there was a regroup in York and Juha entered the regroup in his Hyundai and did some donuts to a tiny crowd, got out did a little wave, had a grin on his face and walked off. Just a classic little moment.

If someone doesn't like my opinion that's fine but I don't agree with PetterSolber29 but you don't see me going on about how his 1,382 have ruined the forum and robbed my pet hamster of sight :rolleyes: He has his opinion and I have mine

Daniel
17th October 2009, 14:53

But Makinen, Sainz, Kankkunen, Burns and Auriol were hardly electric in comparison to Loeb, Mikko and Dani were they? McRae was always a character but one driver doth not make the championship. A good championship also makes characters of drivers and brings out the best/worst in them. Back in the 90's when rallies were far closer if a driver had an off or a mechanical failure you were far more likely to see tears or anger rather than a driver getting out of their car and calmly inspecting the damage as they do now.

I think people are putting the cart before the horse here, a good championship should have good coverage yes, but coverage doesn't make the championship good, it's a good championship that demands good coverage and right now we simply don't have a championship that is that great.

JFL
17th October 2009, 18:04
Mr.Block answering a littlebit about the rumours about joing the WRC...

Tomi
17th October 2009, 18:09
Mr.Block answering a littlebit about the rumours about joing the WRC...

is this a different clip from what ProRally posted?

Kamikaze
17th October 2009, 18:51
I never called Solberg an idiot. All I'm saying is that rallying was fine before people started hanging out the windows and driving with the doors open.

OK, so you called him Idiot friendly when he do this.

So who are the Idiots ?
Please tell me !

ProRally
17th October 2009, 19:23
is this a different clip from what ProRally posted?

No Tomi, it is the same.... :D

pettersolberg29
17th October 2009, 20:12
But Makinen, Sainz, Kankkunen, Burns and Auriol were hardly electric in comparison to Loeb, Mikko and Dani were they? McRae was always a character but one driver doth not make the championship. A good championship also makes characters of drivers and brings out the best/worst in them. Back in the 90's when rallies were far closer if a driver had an off or a mechanical failure you were far more likely to see tears or anger rather than a driver getting out of their car and calmly inspecting the damage as they do now.

I think people are putting the cart before the horse here, a good championship should have good coverage yes, but coverage doesn't make the championship good, it's a good championship that demands good coverage and right now we simply don't have a championship that is that great.

Fair enough - that is very true and I do agree actually.

jens
17th October 2009, 21:53
Good to see some positive news in WRC after years of decline. The Atkinson part in the information is most interesting for me. :D The 2009 Focuses, at least according to rumours, would be quite a good choice. Don't know about Block, but I would be certainly looking forward to some great performances by Atko!!! :s mokin: Hopefully the rumours will materialize!

MR666
18th October 2009, 00:13
I am a Ford person at heart so I think this team would be great, but it would also be great if Block could make a deal with prodrive and add a manufacture (WRC car) to the championship.

L5->R5/CR
18th October 2009, 16:47
The championship program that Block runs in today announced the removal of three rallies from the championship and the inclusion of 3 stadium, euro-rallycross/X Games wanna be events.

With the removal of events and Monster looking to increase their exposure a turn to the WRC looks promising...

jbmarcus21
18th October 2009, 17:47
3 wrc rallies next year ? Official ?

GigiGalliNo1
19th October 2009, 02:54
But Makinen, Sainz, Kankkunen, Burns and Auriol were hardly electric in comparison to Loeb, Mikko and Dani were they?

First 5 guys there had Charisma compared to Loeb....

*Brings back old discussions :p

J.Lindstroem
19th October 2009, 07:56
First 5 guys there had Charisma compared to Loeb....

*Brings back old discussions :p

"Please define charisma," gigigalli! ;)

ShiftingGears
19th October 2009, 08:16
Hopefully the team will be good enough to allow Atkinson to get podiums. He's going to cream Block, undoubtedly.

raybak
19th October 2009, 10:49
Tried to get some info out of Ben Atkinson on the weekend. No luck there, he pleaded the 5th!!

Ray

Ondra WRC
19th October 2009, 19:20
with which the car will go? Focus WRC?
much I did not pursue the matter if it's already so sorry :s tare:

TKM
25th October 2009, 01:24

I wouldn’t worry about what’s said on here Andrew, you’ll find it’s mostly negativity about most things by Monday’s experts. You probably know Ken better than anyone else on this forum, and from what I’ve heard he’s a damn nice guy that his passionate about is rallying and would love to compete at the highest level of the sport. And if you have the money, why the hell not, where’s the harm in that? I know I would if I could!!

I for one love his gymkhana clips, purely for their entertainment value, (which is a hell of a lot more than what could be said about the WRC or ARC at the moment). I know they’re not rallying and have never regarded it as rallying, I don’t know why anyone else would. They’re nothing more than publicity stunts for his sponsors and he gets to have a hell of a good time doing them.

I think Ken would be a breath of fresh air to the WRC whether he brings Chris with him or not (although I hope that rumour’s true as I’m a big Atko fan). And personally I find the RA DVDs far more exciting to watch than the later WRC DVDs in my collection, those RA Open class cars are pretty spectacular. Ken strikes me as a trees or trophies kind of driver and I think people maybe surprised how well he does if he stays on the road, particularly in the fast events like Finland. I think he’ll be quicker than Rautenbach and Al Qassimi and will be fighting it out for the final point scoring place with Wilson.

JFL
25th October 2009, 02:07
Ken Block said on the World rally radio that the most beatiful clip on youtube was Gigi Galli sliding pass those cars before a hairpin. That was his motivation ++++ Maybe Galli and Block? if not Atko and Block?

grugsticles
26th October 2009, 08:45
Ken Block said on the World rally radio that the most beatiful clip on youtube was Gigi Galli sliding pass those cars before a hairpin. That was his motivation ++++ Maybe Galli and Block? if not Atko and Block?

I did listen to that radio interview and the thing that struck me the most was his attitude to rallying.
He knows he doesn't have the driving talent of the main WRC contenders, but he is damn passionate about the sport and though his own hard work (his own words) he has managed to give himself a chance to compete against his hero's. If I were in the same boat as Ken, Id do the same even with all the critics going mad. He doesn't seem to think that he will be competitive, nor to overrate his own skills, but he does seem to follow rallying from around the world very closely and in great detail.

Much respect to you, Ken Block!

raybak
27th October 2009, 09:31
I did listen to that radio interview and the thing that struck me the most was his attitude to rallying.
He knows he doesn't have the driving talent of the main WRC contenders, but he is damn passionate about the sport and though his own hard work (his own words) he has managed to give himself a chance to compete against his hero's. If I were in the same boat as Ken, Id do the same even with all the critics going mad. He doesn't seem to think that he will be competitive, nor to overrate his own skills, but he does seem to follow rallying from around the world very closely and in great detail.

I wreckon good on him. You never know he might be quicker than Slowson. If you have the bucks and are passionate you are halfway there. I'm passionate just don't have the bucks so I'll codrive. Although anyone wanting to give me the bucks pm me :)

Ray

curry
29th October 2009, 02:08
To all you knockers out there - get your head out of the sand and think long term!

This is/could bring another team into the WRC and last time I checked there wasn't too many existing teams. Yeah sure Ken Block might not be that good but he will be bringing big sponsors with big dollars and its not unforeseeable that in 3 years time Mr Block will be the team manager with two very good drivers in the team. But this won't happen unless Ken drives next year and does what he does best and that is attract interest and money. Hpefully Chris can put some good results together and reward the sponsors.

Guys, this is a good thing!

bowler
29th October 2009, 07:14
Be great to see. Go Ken.

Maui J.
29th October 2009, 07:33
To all you knockers out there - get your head out of the sand and think long term!

This is/could bring another team into the WRC and last time I checked there wasn't too many existing teams. Yeah sure Ken Block might not be that good but he will be bringing big sponsors with big dollars and its not unforeseeable that in 3 years time Mr Block will be the team manager with two very good drivers in the team. But this won't happen unless Ken drives next year and does what he does best and that is attract interest and money. Hopefully Chris can put some good results together and reward the sponsors.

Well said Mr Curry. I fully agree, I couldn't have said it better.

AndyRAC
29th October 2009, 08:33

This is/could bring another team into the WRC and last time I checked there wasn't too many existing teams. Yeah sure Ken Block might not be that good but he will be bringing big sponsors with big dollars and its not unforeseeable that in 3 years time Mr Block will be the team manager with two very good drivers in the team. But this won't happen unless Ken drives next year and does what he does best and that is attract interest and money. Hpefully Chris can put some good results together and reward the sponsors.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I sometime wonder whether people realise just how far the WRC has fallen - after watching RallyGB, it was painfully obvious that apart from the top 6 (and a few S2000's/GpN's), who were 'on it', there was a lack of real speed/spectacle. Any new teams/drivers, especially if it is Chris, is welcome news.

karo
29th October 2009, 14:19

applause

Koppomsbo
10th November 2009, 15:33
well at least he have som intresting ideas ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDNLUzjkpg&feature=player_embedded

Josti
11th November 2009, 21:04

If we'd think long term, the WRC shouldn't have to rely on private entries, but much rather on potential manufacturers that could enter.

Block can enter the series, no problem, especially when Atkinson comes along, but I just hope he'll take it serious and not do anything like Koppomsbo posted before me.

J4MIE
11th November 2009, 23:09

:up:

curry
12th November 2009, 23:30
If we'd think long term, the WRC shouldn't have to rely on private entries, but much rather on potential manufacturers that could enter.

Agreed 100%, but I just don't see it happening at the moment. Therefore the Block/Monster entry is essential in the current environment.

gloomyDAY
13th November 2009, 05:00

Guys, this is a good thing!Leave it to the Oz-men to be optimistic.

:D Great posts.

Camelopard
13th November 2009, 05:45
Some one has to be, this place if full of doom and gloom merchants! :)

(from yet another aussie)

Josti
13th November 2009, 14:26
Agreed 100%, but I just don't see it happening at the moment. Therefore the Block/Monster entry is essential in the current environment.

I don't think another private Ford team (which they'll probably use if it happens) is essential for the WRC in the next couple years. A good package of rule setting which is solid and has structure, that is essential. S2000 proved that it can attract different manufacturers, albeit not fully works supported, but at least there's an interest. It's a good base to build on in my opinion.

eppel
16th November 2009, 19:50
The organizer of the Norwegian Subaru Cup, John Haugland, is trying to get Ken Block to Norway few weeks before Rally Sweden. Haugland wants the American driver in the cupcar in one of the national rallies, either Sigdalsrally or Mountain Rally on snow.

Kamikaze
27th November 2009, 18:36
What a Livery :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.rallylink.it/news//images/rsgallery/display/mrs09_b_78.jpg.jpg

http://www.rallylink.it/news//images/rsgallery/display/mrs09_a046_rossi_.jpg.jpg

grugsticles
27th November 2009, 21:34
What a Livery :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.rallylink.it/news//images/rsgallery/display/mrs09_b_78.jpg.jpg

http://www.rallylink.it/news//images/rsgallery/display/mrs09_a046_rossi_.jpg.jpg
What event is Rossi competing in?
The livery sure looks HAWT!

alleskids
27th November 2009, 22:22
Monza Rally. the livery needs only some small adjusting, to win the best livery ever seen on a WRCar :)

MartijnS
27th November 2009, 22:27
There are also two of these 'Monster' Focus WRC's at the start.

http://www.rallylink.it/news//images/rsgallery/display/mrs_09_c_64_salucci.jpg.jpg

Both very nice liveries!

306 Cosworth
27th November 2009, 23:03
Ken Block in the Green and Black for 2010 and Chris Atkinson in Silver and Black :p :

Macd
27th November 2009, 23:29
No DC branding?

Simmi
27th November 2009, 23:45
No DC branding?

These two Focus WRC's have nothing to do with Ken Block.

wotaguy
28th November 2009, 01:42
i think this is kens? but dont quote me :)

MIC
28th November 2009, 03:30
i think this is kens? but dont quote me :)

That is Block's current Subaru Impreza for the 2009 Rally America series, part of Subaru Rally Team USA and prepped by Vermont Sports Car. So it would probably look different in WRC

http://rallyehq.com/photos/100-Acre-Wood-Rally-2009/Ken-Block_action2.jpg

gloomyDAY
28th November 2009, 06:17
Livery look fan-freakin'-tastic!

Welcome aboard Mr. Block.

wotaguy
28th November 2009, 12:20
mic sorry mate pic i uploaded was a focus? so i dont know whwere scubbie pic came from :(

MIC
29th November 2009, 01:23
Block has driven a Ford recently in some other North American series

http://formulaphoto.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83456107869e20120a5bc88fa970c-800wi

wotaguy
29th November 2009, 12:11
yeah Rally New York.

L5->R5/CR
29th November 2009, 13:53
yeah Rally New York.

Canada as well...

Although, he DNFed in the first couple stages in the first event in Cannuckistan...

userwave
29th November 2009, 14:50
that picture is from this years Rallye Defi - St Agathe in Quebec Canada, part of the Canadian Rally Championship, Ken Block drove himself out of the rally on the first stage of the event.

He has come up to Rally of the Tall Pines (another event in the canadian championship) and has also DNF'd every single time, he can't keep the pace of the privateer Canadian teams..

Money wins though.

L5->R5/CR
30th November 2009, 02:23
that picture is from this years Rallye Defi - St Agathe in Quebec Canada, part of the Canadian Rally Championship, Ken Block drove himself out of the rally on the first stage of the event.

He has come up to Rally of the Tall Pines (another event in the canadian championship) and has also DNF'd every single time, he can't keep the pace of the privateer Canadian teams..

Money wins though.

And Ken beat the field in 2008 at Baie....

He just has just developed a fondness for trees in the last 16 or so months....

Simmi
3rd December 2009, 14:22
Autosport magazine this week says an announcement is thought to be imminent on the team. Still looks like Monster will put their weight behind Ken and Chris.

And also Vale for a third car in Mexico. Really hope Atko gets a full programme.

chrisc
4th January 2010, 17:13
Well anymore word on this??

ProRally
4th January 2010, 18:09
Apparently still possible.... we have to be patient a bit more

Buzz Lightyear
4th January 2010, 18:37
I dont think it just happens like that.
By now, either the deal is done or its not.
You just cant organise to send a two card team to Sweden within a few weeks.

ProRally
4th January 2010, 18:42
I dont think it just happens like that.
By now, either the deal is done or its not.
You just cant organise to send a two card team to Sweden within a few weeks.

Who says they will start in Sweden ?

chrisc
4th January 2010, 18:51
If they want to score team points their entry has to be in for today

Motorsportfun
4th January 2010, 19:08
The deadline for WRC teams (AKA Manufacturer Teams) is in March, so there is a bit time yet.

Simmi
4th January 2010, 19:36
I was thinking this has gone seemingly quiet. Mexico would have made sense for a debut with 3-cars and Rossi. But now Rossi is a non-starter what will become of the rest of the season...

ProRally
4th January 2010, 19:39
The plan was the Ken and Chris would 'share' a car.... so there was never talk of 3 car team Ken/Chris/Rossi, that where wild speculations.

Simmi
4th January 2010, 19:48
The plan was the Ken and Chris would 'share' a car.... so there was never talk of 3 car team Ken/Chris/Rossi, that where wild speculations.

Oh right. I'm sure I read it would be a two car effort. Hence why everyone is thinking they need to get their registration sorted.

chrisc
4th January 2010, 20:14
The deadline for WRC teams (AKA Manufacturer Teams) is in March, so there is a bit time yet.

Its says on WRC.com Today is the registration deadline for manufacturer teams

Francis44
4th January 2010, 20:30
Want promotion for the Wrc....

Let an Wrc driver date an hollywood star!!!!

Motorsportfun
4th January 2010, 20:37
Its says on WRC.com Today is the registration deadline for manufacturer teams

"While arch rivals Ford and Citroen resume their duel for the manufacturers' crown, another selection of teams will take up the challenge in the WRC teams' contest. Now is the time that deals are done, drivers are signed and cars are ordered. Rumours are flying around about big name contracts nearing completion, but we'll have to wait until the entry deadline of 16th of March to discover exactly who's in this fight."

Roy
4th January 2010, 20:45
Until 16 March teams like Monster, Stobart and eventually other teams can be registered.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wrc/2009/Pages/wrc_regs.aspx

L5->R5/CR
5th January 2010, 05:18

Interestingly enough there are still no SRT-USA entries at Sno Drift here in the states. Not that the rally is just about to happen (it is at the end of the month), but, all of the SRT-USA/driver contracts expired in 2009 (I believe Travis is still on contract with Subaru, just not a formal rally contract though I am not sure).

Maybe Ken is waiting for the WRC deal to happen or not, maybe it is all just taking an unusually long time. DC Shoes and Monster funding were key to Ken's US/Canadian programs, that is for sure...

Koppomsbo
5th January 2010, 06:20
Want promotion for the Wrc....

Let an Wrc driver date an hollywood star!!!!

Or an WRC fan :D

anthonyvop
5th January 2010, 13:38
DC Shoes and Monster funding were key to Ken's US/Canadian programs, that is for sure...

DC shoes funding shouldn't be a problem. He co-founded the company.

JAM
5th January 2010, 14:07
Ken Block is good to WRC. He could bring the money to put Chris Atkinson rallying and open WRC to USA. And at the same time, Matthew Wilson could fight with Block... :p :

ProRally
5th January 2010, 14:48
Wilson will loose to Ken :D :D

Sami
5th January 2010, 15:15
Wilson will loose to Ken :D :D

Never.

JAM
5th January 2010, 15:56
Never.

Never say never :D

ProRally
5th January 2010, 16:02
Ken can run donuts around Wilslow.... he practiced enough for his Ghymkana videos :D :D :D

janvanvurpa
5th January 2010, 20:28
Ken Block is good to WRC. He could bring the money to put Chris Atkinson rallying and open WRC to USA. And at the same time, Matthew Wilson could fight with Block... :p :

Jam we know what rally is in USA, we've had it here in same stage format since the early 70s, it's been on TV on and off, and in magazines for the 30 years I have paid any attention to it.

What we don't have is enough local participation anywhere, not enough affordable events for the sort of people interested, and a typical American belief in the SIMPLE cure eg "If we just get it on TV, then the sport will TAKE OFF!!!!!!" or "If we just get a WRC event, then the sport will take OFF!!!!!" or "if we just get some Media personalities, the sport will take offf!!!!!!"

meanwhile you have a few voices saying "If we just get a BUNCH of guys into solid decent cars with good performance that they can afford to keep using and enough events that they can work on their race-craft for 5-6-7 years, there might be enough of a show that LOCALS will want to take part LOCALLY----then in 10 years or so we might have something to call decent competition"

And I've been saying that since 1984.

And we still have 20-25 cars at most events, with half at such low spec that any rally fan would be thinking of suicide to stop the misery of watching people drive 65-75 km/hr on stages---and then make "press releases" about their stunning victories....

I am sorry but you cannot begin to understand the almost invisible and worse than amatuerish nature of the sport here.

Americans DO want EASY stuff, and rallying at even club level most places is not easy.

Sitting and watching a crazy guy do 2 second tricks is easy, hence the popularity of travvie and Kenny's stunts and antics.

And, as slow as Wilson is, the record shows that he does not stuff or roll on the first or second stage of half of his events, so he's usually not under "Super rally" rules and would likely finish approximately 1 hour ahead of Kenny.

(Try and remember to only use the friendly version of the first name when referring to American "Rally Gods", we must all pretend we are old close friends, so never say "Block" or "Pastrami" , that's too formal and distant and cold, but only Ken or better "Kenny" and "Travvie"--very important for marketing. Thank you for your co-operation)

Macd
5th January 2010, 20:39
-snip-

Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed :p . However I do agree that "Kenny" may be quicker than Wilson but will no doubt be the new Novikov, unable to keep his car on the road for more than two stages.

anthonyvop
5th January 2010, 21:43
-rant-

I could explain to you the lack of popularity if rallying in the US but because it if from me your head would explode.

Basically it is a mix of Cultural, Media and Marketing issues. Rally can become popular in the US but i can see nobody who has the power, influence and money to make it so.

janvanvurpa
6th January 2010, 06:02
I could explain to you the lack of popularity if rallying in the US but because it if from me your head would explode.

Basically it is a mix of Cultural, Media and Marketing issues. Rally can become popular in the US but i can see nobody who has the power, influence and money to make it so.

You just figuring that out?
It was obvious to me at the first event I entered in 1984.

Nothing makes my head explode so lets see what a complete outsider-non-participant says is the key to mass participation on the scale of say a small country of only 5 million, example Finland.

Compare and contrast, I assume since you're a cultured world traveler you can tell us all about the roots of Finnish culture, why Finnish culture differs from the other Noric/Lutheran cultures and why a country with 1/60th the US population has approx multiples more drivers active, hundred more events and has produced generation after generation of WRC caliber drivers...

Background information on your activities in rally would add weight to your explanations.

We await your thesis.

If you don't like to talk about Finland choose some other country where rally has mass participation: Sweden, UK, France come to mind.

SubaruNorway
6th January 2010, 06:07
Guess it's done then!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2010-01-05-rally-block_N.htm?csp=usat.me

janvanvurpa
6th January 2010, 06:11
Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed :p . However I do agree that "Kenny" may be quicker than Wilson but will no doubt be the new Novikov, unable to keep his car on the road for more than two stages.

Goodness, did I somehow suggest that Kenny would be quicker than Mattie?

I must have mistyped, I doubt he would break into the top 40 on SS times, not on real roads.

I do not think most elsewhere understand the extremely simple and FAST roads all in North America.
People are always bragging everything is bigger in where ever but I've been on loadsa gravel all over USA and Canada and in UK, Sweden, and on French "D" roads.
Our trees are BIG, the roads BIG, the roads must be to haul 20m tress out longways with Kenworth semi tractors. It is in a word simple and a big horsepower race.

BIG room for error and big room for recovery.

The stages I've seen elsewhere are relatively speaking bastids for narrowness with ditches and stumps and rocks a couple of inches on one side or the other and thereby very unforgiving.

The level of skill to go quickly is far far higher than over here just from the road width....

janvanvurpa
6th January 2010, 06:17
Guess it's done then!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2010-01-05-rally-block_N.htm?csp=usat.me

Hope he learns some history:
quote: "Rally just hasn't been as popular in the States because it's been deemed more a European-type sport," Block says. "We haven't had many U.S. drivers that have gotten to that level. There have been a few people that have done one-off events. No one has done multiple events. It's a huge honor to go try to do that.

"There's a lot of pride, and to do it in an American brand, I'm really stoked to have this opportunity."

he forgets John Buffum who is still, in equal machinery, quicker than Block. See Colin McRae Stages 08.

Shameful he is so full of himself he totally misses Buffum who did do multiple events and did quite respectable placings in tough events, as in top 6.

But he's from SoCal, if it wasn't on TV last week it never happened.....

Camelopard
6th January 2010, 06:33
I was down at Hume today (aussies will know where I mean) and the word there was that a 2 car team of customer Focii for Ken and Chris was a done deal.

Lets hope so, if this is true then I'll be going to NZ as well as Jordan and Turkey.

noel157
6th January 2010, 07:06
Let's hope Atko is included in the deal, otherwise.... No mention of him in the press article.

ProRally
6th January 2010, 07:24
So Ford Focus WRC in WRC and Ford Fiesta S2000 in Rally America series , very interesting.

Mitch555
6th January 2010, 07:45
@ProRally, or a version of the Fiesta Rallycross car which was at X-Games

ProRally
6th January 2010, 08:49
see the news here : http://monsterworldrallyteam.com/

ProRally
6th January 2010, 08:56
@ProRally, or a version of the Fiesta Rallycross car which was at X-Games

Car must be road legal, maybe a bit too much for the Rallycross version.

Koppomsbo
6th January 2010, 09:53
These people really got to be mad.

I also reacted to this.. Come on..

JAM
6th January 2010, 10:05
Malcolm Wilson found a new big costumer.

Afetr read that comparison with NASCAR, i think Ken Block deserves to be beaten by Matthew Wilson and the faster SWRC cars!!!!

But i still consider positive his presence in WRC.

Simmi
6th January 2010, 10:06
Zero mention of Atko anywhere at the moment.

Livewireshock
6th January 2010, 10:54
The press release is all a marketing ploy. Ken Block's market is the USA, so he panders to what the needs of that market are. It was not directed at the rally faithful from around the world but as a self-promotion catering to the lowest common denominator in US society. Flamboyance sells in America so that is what he needs to do in order to be noticed.

Remember that the USA in very insular in their outlook to most sports. Major motorsport competition is all domestic with NASCAR & Indy. Look at the names of the most featured sports NFL, NBL and NHL (that N stand for National). They play World Series Baseball but only US & Canadian teams are involved.

This is not be critical of the USA but just to highlight what Ken is trying to sell his efforts to. I have met Ken twice in NZ while he was trying to gain Group N experience and learn the international ways of rallying. He was not naive or trying to big note himself and conducted himself well.

At the end of the day, he is another competitor. Another bum in a seat providing us fans with a spectacle of some sort to enjoy. Be he in a WRC car or one of the amateur drivers at the back of the rally field, all competitors deserve to be supported for making the effort in our beloved sport.

swordsman
6th January 2010, 10:59
The press release is all a marketing ploy. Ken Block's market is the USA, so he panders to what the needs of that market are. It was not directed at the rally faithful from around the world but as a self-promotion catering to the lowest common denominator in US society. Flamboyance sells in America so that is what he needs to do in order to be noticed.

Remember that the USA in very insular in their outlook to most sports. Major motorsport competition is all domestic with NASCAR & Indy. Look at the names of the most featured sports NFL, NBL and NHL (that N stand for National). They play World Series Baseball but only US & Canadian teams are involved.

This is not be critical of the USA but just to highlight what Ken is trying to sell his efforts to. I have met Ken twice in NZ while he was trying to gain Group N experience and learn the international ways of rallying. He was not naive or trying to big note himself and conducted himself well.

At the end of the day, he is another competitor. Another bum in a seat providing us fans with a spectacle of some sort to enjoy. Be he in a WRC car or one of the amateur drivers at the back of the rally field, all competitors deserve to be supported for making the effort in our beloved sport.

Agree 100% and your analysis of the press release is 100% correct.
BTW... Trying to get the PDF on the website I just get an error. Has anyone managed to get hold of it?

Livewireshock
6th January 2010, 11:17
BTW... Trying to get the PDF on the website I just get an error. Has anyone managed to get hold of it?

I got the same problem. However the news reported on various websites is the same word for word. So they have obviously just copied the press release. But I could be wrong and there could be more to come.

anthonyvop
6th January 2010, 13:24
And so the hate begins.

swordsman
6th January 2010, 13:25
And so the hate begins.

?

Koppomsbo
6th January 2010, 13:37
And so the hate begins.

?

That people think this is an marketing ploy and i agree at some part of it.
But hate is a strong word.

But on the other hand, we have all been crying after more cars/drivers..
And to be honest, i rather see this then more conrads...

swordsman
6th January 2010, 13:42
?

That people think this is an marketing ploy and i agree at some part of it.
But hate is a strong word.

But on the other hand, we have all been crying after more cars/drivers..
And to be honest, i rather see this then more conrads...

Agree about Conrad - but... A marketing ploy? Yeah, sure it is! The whole WRC is a marketing ploy and wouldn't exist if it wasn't marketing. :) It's a bit more hands-on marketing with Americans, as their society is probably a little bit more commercialised than in Europe - but I mean... Isn't that much a good thing? Why try to hide the fact that marketing pays the championship! Better to be open then... And I'm sure the WRC have seen worse drivers than Ken Block and also worse financers (read: Billy Rautenbach).

anthonyvop
6th January 2010, 13:46
You just figuring that out?
It was obvious to me at the first event I entered in 1984.

Nothing makes my head explode so lets see what a complete outsider-non-participant says is the key to mass participation on the scale of say a small country of only 5 million, example Finland.

Compare and contrast, I assume since you're a cultured world traveler you can tell us all about the roots of Finnish culture, why Finnish culture differs from the other Noric/Lutheran cultures and why a country with 1/60th the US population has approx multiples more drivers active, hundred more events and has produced generation after generation of WRC caliber drivers...

Background information on your activities in rally would add weight to your explanations.

We await your thesis.

If you don't like to talk about Finland choose some other country where rally has mass participation: Sweden, UK, France come to mind.

Who is talking about participation? I am discussing popularity. It is great that you are so up on statistics of Finland but what does it have to do with the popularity of the sport in the USA?
I know it upsets people like you but the USA isn't Europe.

Rally is as or more popular in other countries as well. Argentina gets up to a Million Spectators to it's WRC. Are you suggesting that the US applies the Argentinian example to boost popularity?

If you want a real marketing plan for Rally in the USA feel free to contact and don't forget your checkbook. I am not cheap but I am worth it.

wotaguy
6th January 2010, 13:58
reading thru thread,i have to agree with livewire,i support all the drivers they are doing what i love. its another driver in WRC if he is aloud to mature this season, learn the car stages etc, then who knows, marketing ploy, well isnt most sport about sponsership =selling . i would like to see Atko in team thou, think he would help Ken :)

Koppomsbo
6th January 2010, 13:58
Agree about Conrad - but... A marketing ploy? Yeah, sure it is! The whole WRC is a marketing ploy and wouldn't exist if it wasn't marketing. :) It's a bit more hands-on marketing with Americans, as their society is probably a little bit more commercialised than in Europe - but I mean... Isn't that much a good thing? Why try to hide the fact that marketing pays the championship! Better to be open then... And I'm sure the WRC have seen worse drivers than Ken Block and also worse financers (read: Billy Rautenbach).

Agree that everything about this is marketing :)

But, u can put the monster energy stickers on a car that maybe Kris Meeke, Pg Andersson, Guy Wilks, Gardeister or whatever is driving :)

swordsman
6th January 2010, 14:06
Agree that everything about this is marketing :)

But, u can put the monster energy stickers on a car that maybe Kris Meeke, Pg Andersson, Guy Wilks, Gardeister or whatever is driving :)

Yup, but you obviously wouldn't get the same out of it. Not on the global market - and especially not on the US market.

wotaguy
6th January 2010, 14:12
saying that , if this makes intrest in rallying increase in America, and they all flock to the rallies, they wont see Block cos he is in Europe lol :) , With just Travis Pastrana, main driver in Rally America series that will suffer, which is a shame as there are some great rallies over there.....note just my opinion OK! :)

Koppomsbo
6th January 2010, 14:15
Yup, but you obviously wouldn't get the same out of it. Not on the global market - and especially not on the US market.

Not them but WE (the rally fans) would :D

Well i agree, but this is to bad. Rally is starting to look like circuit racing..
Only nice stickers and cool team wear (including sunglasses)

swordsman
6th January 2010, 14:19
Not them but WE (the rally fans) would :D

Well i agree, but this is to bad. Rally is starting to look like circuit racing..
Only nice stickers and cool team wear (including sunglasses)

Agree and disagree at the same time. Maybe it's like that, but let's wait and see for a while. The guy has been a top scorer in other sports and I don't think he's a happy loser.

rallymatt
6th January 2010, 14:39
saying that , if this makes intrest in rallying increase in America, and they all flock to the rallies, they wont see Block cos he is in Europe lol :) , With just Travis Pastrana, main driver in Rally America series that will suffer, which is a shame as there are some great rallies over there.....note just my opinion OK! :)

Ken is competing in the Rally America series as well, in a Fiesta.

userwave
6th January 2010, 14:39
the WRC needs a public figure like Ken Block right now, it will gain some much needed hype to the series.

If he can't deliver decent results, then it's all for nothing though !

:)

as for the WRC coming to America, I think it's still quite a long way's off in terms of gaining enough attention to stadium sport crazed American's...

userwave
6th January 2010, 14:47
Pat Richard (A Canadian) ran quite a few WRC event's in group N car's a few years back, quite unsuccessfully however.. but still, there have been a handfull of North American's in the WRC in some shape or form over the years...

Hope he learns some history:
quote: "Rally just hasn't been as popular in the States because it's been deemed more a European-type sport," Block says. "We haven't had many U.S. drivers that have gotten to that level. There have been a few people that have done one-off events. No one has done multiple events. It's a huge honor to go try to do that.

"There's a lot of pride, and to do it in an American brand, I'm really stoked to have this opportunity."

he forgets John Buffum who is still, in equal machinery, quicker than Block. See Colin McRae Stages 08.

Shameful he is so full of himself he totally misses Buffum who did do multiple events and did quite respectable placings in tough events, as in top 6.

But he's from SoCal, if it wasn't on TV last week it never happened.....

wotaguy
6th January 2010, 14:51
thanks rallymutt, i didnt know that, but thats good, is he in a team with Kyle Sarassin? i thought i read he got a drive?, and yeah Richard entered some rounds of the British championship as well.

JFL
6th January 2010, 15:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zve4h1IhfLU

L5->R5/CR
6th January 2010, 16:17
Car must be road legal, maybe a bit too much for the Rallycross version.

Manufacturer...

Should be able to bring the cars into the US for limited amount of miles for up to two years under a carnet...

Could always stamp them with a VIN and register them in a state with less strict inspection laws.

I know a certain driver who needed some help with plates because of emissions where the team was based making it difficult to register the car back in 2007 (I believe you should be familiar with this particular circumstance).

ProRally
6th January 2010, 16:20
Manufacturer...

Should be able to bring the cars into the US for limited amount of miles for up to two years under a carnet...

Could always stamp them with a VIN and register them in a state with less strict inspection laws.

I know a certain driver who needed some help with plates because of emissions where the team was based making it difficult to register the car back in 2007 (I believe you should be familiar with this particular circumstance).

hahhaa :D :D you gave me the dealer plates ..... :D :D

GigiGalliNo1
6th January 2010, 16:24
You guys speak of advertising in the WRC, Ken and his DC Shoes + Monster Drink.... so what.

Remember when oh no Abu Dhabi were and still are all over the Ford WRC cars? Complaints here and there.

Pirelli on Gigi Galli's Pug and Xsara. GOOO!!! on Loeb's old car and Stobart + Expro with Henning.

Petter Solberg was a marketing tool for many of Subaru's sponsors. With out him Subaru wouldn't have been so big, same with it's sponsors.

You watch the WRC and once a camera pans a car it stops right where the sponsors have been placed with big (bill)boards on the side of each stage. If you haven't noticed watch coverage from any round! The WRC, with Ken Block; will get more notice in the US of A no doubt - more money invested into the sport - Yes, just as Abu Dhabi has with Ford and it's WRC sponsorship. Don't forget now that the ISC has changed to North One Sport. Is that good news? What will we see from that?

Livewireshock
6th January 2010, 16:42
Sponsorship and who-pays-the-bills rules this sport not matter what level you are at, from club rallying to WRC. You act and perform to cater to the needs and tastes of the people who are supporting you.

That is why there is always a big push for a French driver to be seen driving a French car in the WRC. Luckily for the past few years, Loeb has been able to provide, but in the past there have been lack lustre efforts made by people who got their drive simply because they fitted the marketing strategy at the time. There are many other drivers who were knocked back because they were not the right person from a marketing point of view, despite their obvious talent.

Ken has a specific support base that is not from a traditional rallying background and so he has to pander to their needs in a non-traditional way. Heck, if I was to be supported by opera singing bingo players in my rallying efforts, I would be more than happy to sing falsetto while calling out bingo numbers in order to get it done.

The important thing here is that we have an extra car competing which is always better than have none.

alleskids
6th January 2010, 16:46
http://www.monsterworldrallyteam.com/
no sign of Chris Atkinson. Ken will do "some" WRC rallies, not news yet which ones, and drive a Fietsa S2000 in Rally America Series.

ProRally
6th January 2010, 16:49
First event looks to be Mexico. Ken drove there already.... good place to start.

Simmi
6th January 2010, 17:19
WRC coverage can be tailored to a certain market to give it a regional balance. So I'm sure coverage in America can be made to heavily include Ken, a bit like what Dave in the UK did with Matt Wilson.

But in Europe I doubt he will get any more coverage than a Villagra or a Rautenbach. Obviously when he debut's he will get a decent mention/interview but beyond that he will be lucky to get a couple of glimpses per show in Europe IMO. Unless he crashes that is.

That is why hiring Atko would increase visibility for the brand and hence make it a more worthwhile marketing exercise for Monster. That can be the only issue really and is something that a few people on the forum share. I have no problem with any new sponsor or driver entering. The more machinery the better. The car will look great also I have no doubt.

But if they want to be taken seriously they need a top 8 calibre driver like Chris to back up all the posturing with some actual results. If you're going to do it then why not do it properly.

Anti-Lag-Rocks
6th January 2010, 18:03
When I first heard of this rumour, I thought this would be a great thing to have Atko back in the sport again. Perhaps there are loose ends to tie up, as the rumor seemed back on the reality - apart from Chris.

Sounds like a dream team to me - Ken for the exposure and Chris for the speed / talent. He needs to get back in the WRC again!

SubaruNorway
6th January 2010, 18:23
http://www.monsterworldrallyteam.com/
no sign of Chris Atkinson. Ken will do "some" WRC rallies, not news yet which ones, and drive a Fietsa S2000 in Rally America Series.

It's not a S2000 Fiesta, but a Open class one I'm pretty sure of since it's buildt by Olsbergs MSE.

Josti
6th January 2010, 18:30
Also on autosport now.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80754

Even though not confirmed yet, I do expect Atkinson to be a part of it.

janvanvurpa
6th January 2010, 18:41
Who is talking about participation? I am discussing popularity. It is great that you are so up on statistics of Finland but what does it have to do with the popularity of the sport in the USA?
I know it upsets people like you but the USA isn't Europe.

Rally is as or more popular in other countries as well. Argentina gets up to a Million Spectators to it's WRC. Are you suggesting that the US applies the Argentinian example to boost popularity?

If you want a real marketing plan for Rally in the USA feel free to contact and don't forget your checkbook. I am not cheap but I am worth it.

Only everybody involved in building cars, building parts, organising events, entering events, dropping the sport because of lack of competition in local areas, so in short everybody involved....

You're going to solve the "problem" of rally in the US and your reading comprehension is so poor that you can't parse a sentence well enough to see the question was "how to make rally......up to the level of say a tiny country"

And I said you can choose any other country to compare and contrast.

And really if you can't see there is a direct link between participation and popularity then I suggest you drown yourself....but that's just me.

And you think you should be paid???

You're beyond a price! No price could capture your value.
And if there's no price, it must be worthless!

anthonyvop
6th January 2010, 19:09
Java,

Even somebody from the People's Republic of Seattle could see the correlation between a sports popularity and the amount of competitors it attracts.

Right now Pro-Rally in the USA is a Regional Niche sport with little or no media coverage.

Don't think for a minute that if R/A announced a good TV package on a viable TV network that the entrees wouldn't start flowing in.

anthonyvop
6th January 2010, 19:12
Also on autosport now.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80754

Even though not confirmed yet, I do expect Atkinson to be a part of it.

Atkinson has to finish up some sponsor deal before the announcement.

Motorsportfun
6th January 2010, 20:42
Atkinson has to finish up some sponsor deal before the announcement.

Source?

anthonyvop
6th January 2010, 23:08
Source?

Phone call

Motorsportfun
7th January 2010, 00:08
Thanx!

Really hope to see him competing in the WRC in 2010, he definitely deserves to be in a top-team in the WRC. And the Monster WRT, as it's run by M-Sport, is a real top-team. :)

GigiGalliNo1
7th January 2010, 02:35
http://wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=6697&desc=Ken+Block%27s+Monster+World+Rally+Team+is+go! +

grugsticles
7th January 2010, 02:39
I hope Block knows that there is no editing in this , you get one shot and that is it.
Brilliant call!!!

L5->R5/CR
7th January 2010, 02:46
hahhaa :D :D you gave me the dealer plates ..... :D :D

Not me persay but, yeah, I know where, how, why, and by whom those plates appeared....

Just pointing out there are ways around certain kinds of problems.....

N.O.T
7th January 2010, 03:08
Block will probably use his car like a moving advertisement trying to finish every rally and get as much tv time for his sponsors as possible...He has no rally skills at all to do otherwise....maybe a few clown tricks on superspecials as well to get some attention. i will be surprised if he manages to be faster than the fastest SWRC and N cars in every rally. Wilson has no future in the sport but will eat block for breakfast lunch and supper.

I don;t think Atkinson should sign with this team...i doubt any of the memebrs block will use will know anything about rallying or how to setup a rally car and that can be bad fr Atko. But maybe he gets some help from the official mechanics...we will see.

WRCfan
7th January 2010, 03:51
With the money Block is bringing to the table himself and with his sponsors they will have good mechanics working on the cars I am sure, also I think this would have been worked out already. Chris would not sign on to something like this if it was going to be run like a side street circus...

Tomi
7th January 2010, 07:05
With the money Block is bringing to the table himself and with his sponsors they will have good mechanics working on the cars I am sure, also I think this would have been worked out already. Chris would not sign on to something like this if it was going to be run like a side street circus...

Thats good, now the talk is done then, its time for the walk.

Koppomsbo
7th January 2010, 09:43
Which rallies after Mexico??

Cross my fingers for Finland ;)

ProRally
7th January 2010, 10:09
Thats good, now the talk is done then, its time for the walk.

My feeling is by midway the season in front of the Wilson, Al Qassimi, Rautenbach and even H Solberg....

Time will tell.....

Tomi
7th January 2010, 10:22
My feeling is by midway the season in front of the Wilson, Al Qassimi, Rautenbach and even H Solberg....

Time will tell.....

I have no idea, last time was less promising, but time will tell.

JAM
7th January 2010, 10:37

Time will tell.....

Very optimistic

Andy Harrison
7th January 2010, 10:40
I think Block will be good for WRC!

Even if you don't like him you can't deny that he will raise the profile of the sport along with Raikkonen this year.

I think he seems like a cool guy!

Interview with Block on rally and WRC:
http://grid1.tv/#browse/media_vault/drivers?id=2_276

kolvas
7th January 2010, 10:43

Time will tell.....

that´s not my feeling, he hasn´t any experience from any event besides Rally New Zeeland so to be competitev the first time around isn´t easy, but I hope that he can be competitev with Wilson/Rautenbach/H Solberg or else it´s at big possibility that he only drive these rounds for 2010, the interest falls very quickly, especally in USA

wotaguy
7th January 2010, 12:38
he entered Mexico in 2007 in group N

cannyboy
7th January 2010, 12:59
Why does this lad always get such stick.
So far with Kimi and Block, we have a much higher profile for the sport for the new year.
With Atko possibly back too, we should have a very interesting year.
Rossi's occasional outings will increase the profile of the extsting drivers, and do wonders for the championship.

Rallying needed a shot in the arm, and with all these new lads, more relaxed rules regarding distances and organization, and a host of new manufacturers lining up for 2011, it's not bad for a sport that was on the verge of death until recently.

Looking forward to the year already.

With Kimi and Block, I've seen more coverage of the WRC in the media than I have for years. The best drivers will be elevated to a higher level once their skills are highlighted by the expected steep learning curve of the new lads. More interest = more fans = more teams = better rallying.

Block is not going to challange for the lead anytime soon, but he never said he would. He will add a whole bunch of buzz to the championship though.

Andy Harrison
7th January 2010, 13:14
So far with Kimi and Block, we have a much higher profile for the sport for the new year.
Rossi's occasional outings will increase the profile of the extsting drivers, and do wonders for the championship.

Rallying needed a shot in the arm, and with all these new lads, more relaxed rules regarding distances and organization, and a host of new manufacturers lining up for 2011, it's not bad for a sport that was on the verge of death until recently.

With Kimi and Block, I've seen more coverage of the WRC in the media than I have for years. The best drivers will be elevated to a higher level once their skills are highlighted by the expected steep learning curve of the new lads. More interest = more fans = more teams = better rallying.

Block is not going to challange for the lead anytime soon, but he never said he would. He will add a whole bunch of buzz to the championship though.

I completely agree!

Simmi
7th January 2010, 14:01
Well said cannyboy. I can't bring myself to knock anyone who commits to running the championship. I'm not the biggest fan of his other exploits but he is making the effort to step up to the world stage and do things properly.

There is always the age old argument about ability but he is not taking a car away from anyone else. There isn't a shortage of Ford Focus's so I don't see why he shouldn't be in one. If nothing else he will be driving the best looking one. I'm also assuming he plans to give this a go over a few years and so we will see him in the Fiesta from 2011. Maybe then there will be more scope to run a two-car team.

Still hoping to see Atko. I think a fair bit of the negative backlash is as a result of his absense from this team launch.

AndyRAC
7th January 2010, 15:32

Good post! Agree, if it wasn't for Kimi and Block, there wouldn't have been any coverage. As already said, Kimi's drive with Citroen was mentioned all over the place. However, it is sad that none of the WRC regulars can generate media interest.

Doug Woods
7th January 2010, 15:50

Interesting. From your time spent in the Rally America championship, you certainly know Ken's pace.

Ken has always been a win or crash driver. So, I suspect that we will see some reasonable times from him. However, I think he might be better served by maximizing his seat time in 2010 and learning about the events for 2011.

Tomi
7th January 2010, 15:51
However, it is sad that none of the WRC regulars can generate media interest.
Maybe because its off season and they are under contract already, may I ask whatkind of stuff would you like to read about them now when nothing happens?

ProRally
7th January 2010, 16:06
Interesting. From your time spent in the Rally America championship, you certainly know Ken's pace.

Ken has always been a win or crash driver. So, I suspect that we will see some reasonable times from him. However, I think he might be better served by maximizing his seat time in 2010 and learning about the events for 2011.

Seat time won't be a problem I guess, WRC (still we need to know how many events) in a Focus, Rally America series in a Fiesta (still we need to know if open class and by who or modified S2000 with turbo engine or Olbergs car) they will get plenty of seat time and airmiles :D :D :D :D

Simmi
7th January 2010, 17:25
Maybe because its off season and they are under contract already, may I ask whatkind of stuff would you like to read about them now when nothing happens?

I think AndyRAC's post was in reference to the entire 2009 season and not just the off season. And really rallying from the last few years I'd imagine.

The easiest way for Loeb to get in the mainstream press is to do something outside of rallying such as going F1 testing or go do Le Mans - not just win another rally. And that is the problem because being a six time champion should be enough.

Tomi
7th January 2010, 17:33
I think AndyRAC's post was in reference to the entire 2009 season and not just the off season.

ahaa, i dont think there was so much about kimi's rallydriving last year, and even less about block, maybe because they was not driving, kimi only 1 wrc rally.

Simmi
7th January 2010, 17:52
ahaa, i dont think there was so much about kimi's rallydriving last year, and even less about block, maybe because they was not driving, kimi only 1 wrc rally.

Yeah that is true. Probably just the part you quoted is in reference to the WRC as a whole these days.

Has Block's entry been getting a lot of decent coverage in Europe?

Tomi
7th January 2010, 18:09
Yeah that is true. Probably just the part you quoted is in reference to the WRC as a whole these days.

Has Block's entry been getting a lot of decent coverage in Europe?

It was mentioned here in same way they mention other drivers entrys, dont know how it is else where, but else here is the rally journalism about same as it has been for many years, only that this year they are going to show more from the WRC events on tv, somekind of special agreement with ISC, more live stages, and more own material etc... interesting.

JAM
7th January 2010, 22:22
I totaly agree with Cannyboy. The big names, wherever they come from, are always usefull to WRC. The new public, not familiar with rallying, will see his heroes beaten by others, and probably could start to look to these names with interest.

Things are changing, and rallying too, for better and for worse. But the WRC actors must work more in promotion. The center are the stages and the rallies, but besides that there is space to do something more promotional, and they must do it. Newcommers as Block shown that a lot more in terms of promotion could be done. If we are wayting by FIA and ISC, then we could wait seated on a chair.

AndyRAC
7th January 2010, 22:24
I think AndyRAC's post was in reference to the entire 2009 season and not just the off season. And really rallying from the last few years I'd imagine.

The easiest way for Loeb to get in the mainstream press is to do something outside of rallying such as going F1 testing or go do Le Mans - not just win another rally. And that is the problem because being a six time champion should be enough.

Yeah, you're quite right. I did mean the whole season. Hell, it was even mentioned on BBC Radio 1!!! I don't think anything from the 2009 WRC got a single mention in the mainstream media (non Motorsport). I've said before, we have a Motorsport legend in the WRC, but virtually nobody knows who he is. That is sad. While some people may not like it, Block, Kimi, Rossi etc are welcome in the WRC as it give greater exposure to the sport.

anthonyvop
7th January 2010, 22:44

Well the ken Block Story made USA Today. That is significantly more rally coverage than ever before. In fact I can't remember any rally coverage on USA except some 3 line blurb in the sports section back page that Loeb won another championship.

In fact is you google WRC Rally USA today you get pages of Ken Block or a Video game review.

Boudica
7th January 2010, 23:36

There has been a lot of interest in Kimi doing rallying. There was lots of discussions about Kimi doing rally Finland in F1 and F1 forums for example. According to some of the fans there was also a lot of Kimi fans who went to rally Finland.
There is currently a lot of discussions going on about Kimi's participation in WRC in F1 circles and F1 forums, which wasn't the case before Kimi started to show an interest in rallying. Most of Kimi's fans comes from places like China, India, or the Philippines for example, and a lot of those fans have expressed that they will definitely follow Kimi in rally. The problem is just that it is a bit difficult for most of us, at this stage to join in the discussions especially in the off season, because we dont know much about rallying. I think people still needs to get used to the idea. But there is definitely some interest.
Kimi going to WRC was the 2nd and 3rd most read articles of autosport in 2009:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80707

As for Block, he also has a very large fan base. Many of his loyal fans will defintily want to see him in action so they will follow him WRC, and the USA have a very large market, which will also be benefical to the sponsors. The advatage of Block's fans is that they at least already know something about rallying.

Once the season gets under way and there is a bit more action, I think there will generally be a lot of interest.

Tomi
8th January 2010, 00:57
I've said before, we have a Motorsport legend in the WRC, but virtually nobody knows who he is. That is sad.

Can you explaine why it is sad that if someone who is not interested in rally dont know who Loeb is? There is for sure many legendary cricket players or rugby players, im not interested in neither one of those sports, would it somehow be important for me to know who they are, or would the sports get some extra value if I did? If people are not interested in something is it so big deal, or does it make you unsecure if you like something big mainstream masses dont?

Tomi
8th January 2010, 01:00
Well the ken Block Story made USA Today. That is significantly more rally coverage than ever before. In fact I can't remember any rally coverage on USA except some 3 line blurb in the sports section back page that Loeb won another championship.

In fact is you google WRC Rally USA today you get pages of Ken Block or a Video game review.

It was sport news thats why they mentioned it here too, in same way they mentioned the Skoda swede a few days earlier.

anthonyvop
8th January 2010, 13:39
It was sport news thats why they mentioned it here too, in same way they mentioned the Skoda swede a few days earlier.

But the point is that Rally isn't ever news for the major media in the US until Ken Block