PDA

View Full Version : From Sky News: Rubens signs for Williams in 2010

Mysterious Rock
12th October 2009, 22:45
On the red button, Rubens signs for williams and confirmed as team mate to Nico Haukenberg.
Not online yet but will be soon im sure

Steve2009
12th October 2009, 23:10
http://www.celebchefs.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/bam.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rubens-barrichello-joins-williams-gp-team/story-e6frf9if-1225786106144 :s mokin:

raikk
12th October 2009, 23:19
That doesn't make a ton of sense for either party involved ..I wonder how that came to be :s

CNR
12th October 2009, 23:36
this has been aroud for a few weeks if nico rosberg went to brawn gp then it would be rubens to williams

Saint Devote
13th October 2009, 00:01
On Euro News they showed Massa talking and Rubens arriving and unveiling his Brazilian Grand Prix helmet design - they did not confirm a Williams contract but just that it is speculation.

Until Rubens or Williams say so it is not a fact yet.

Alfa Fan
13th October 2009, 00:05
Until Rubens or Williams say so it is not a fact yet. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't it mean its not true!

woody2goody
13th October 2009, 01:23
But it is Sky News, and they always rush to break the news, sometimes forsaking accuracy. However I doubt they would get the name of the team or driver wrong LOL.

Garry Walker
13th October 2009, 08:35
If it is true, I wonder how Rubens will handle it mentally.
He seems a bit of a soft character who needs mental support and Williams is not known for baby-sitting their drivers like that.

But would be good to see him continue in F1 for a few more years.

Mark
13th October 2009, 08:41
I think it's mostly due to the Mercedes connection. Otherwise it makes no sense at all!

Sonic
13th October 2009, 09:55
Too many pieces of the jigsaw are still missing. Will Jenson stay on at Brawn? Will Kimi go to McLaren?

Until those drivers are confirmed in their seats (or to be leaving) the smaller players will just have to sit on their hands and wait.

For my money, if Williams lost Nico Rosberg to Brawn, Rubens would be a good choice. He has a reputation as a driver who can set up a car quickly - which could help Nico Hulk move into F1 quickly. You don't want a newbie like the Hulk trying to lead the team, or worse get Button as a team mate who seems clueless about setup.

Saint Devote
13th October 2009, 10:30
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't it mean its not true!

The issue is not whether or not it is true, it might be or not, we have no way of knowing until Rubens or Williams makes a statement.

Now if you wish to BELIEVE it, thats up to you but that does not change the reality - absent evidence it remains speculation.

Saint Devote
13th October 2009, 10:36
Too many pieces of the jigsaw are still missing. Will Jenson stay on at Brawn? Will Kimi go to McLaren?

Until those drivers are confirmed in their seats (or to be leaving) the smaller players will just have to sit on their hands and wait.

For my money, if Williams lost Nico Rosberg to Brawn, Rubens would be a good choice. He has a reputation as a driver who can set up a car quickly - which could help Nico Hulk move into F1 quickly. You don't want a newbie like the Hulk trying to lead the team, or worse get Button as a team mate who seems clueless about setup.

An experienced driver like Jenson I am sure understands a significant amount about a racing car - he has driven enough problematic cars.

But in the end it is irrelevant because thatis what the engineers are for and it has never prevented a good driver from winning.

The important issue is the ability of a driver to communicate the handling of a car to his engineer, have it remedied and improve.

We know that Raikkonen has no interest in the technical side and how much interest Jenson has is enoough to win and currently heading for a world title.

I am evil Homer
13th October 2009, 11:40
An experienced driver like Jenson I am sure understands a significant amount about a racing car - he has driven enough problematic cars.

But in the end it is irrelevant because thatis what the engineers are for and it has never prevented a good driver from winning.

The important issue is the ability of a driver to communicate the handling of a car to his engineer, have it remedied and improve.

We know that Raikkonen has no interest in the technical side and how much interest Jenson has is enoough to win and currently heading for a world title.

If Jenson understand so much how come he can't provide the feedback to make those poor cars better?

Dzeidzei
13th October 2009, 12:40

Well, not that many pieces. Jenson will stay and Nico will join Brawn and Kimi McL. The question is who gets to pick... If its Kimi then Nico will be at Brawn. If its Lewis then Nico will be at McL.

Note: Nico doesnt get to pick at all :)

Sleeper
13th October 2009, 12:48
If Jenson understand so much how come he can't provide the feedback to make those poor cars better?
Nobody could have made the last 2 Honda's fast (massively flawed concept and no technical leadership from within the team) and the 01 Benetton went from being as slow as a Minardi to finishing on the podium, but that was more Mike Gascoine than the two drivers.

ArrowsFA1
13th October 2009, 12:51
When ever these claims about Button come up Ross Brawn's comment earlier this season springs to mind: "The guys in the team told me Jenson was exceptional – I didn't see a lot of it last year, but now I believe them.”

I am evil Homer
13th October 2009, 12:55
Okay but he would say that. Anyway...I've not read this Rubens news anywhere else yet so has Sky jumped the gun or got genuine inside info?

CaptainRaiden
13th October 2009, 13:14
If this is indeed true, I wonder whether it's Rubens' own choice to leave Brawn or he has to make way for another driver? I guess Nico Rosberg, because I don't think Brawn can really afford to pay Kimi his salary.

keysersoze
13th October 2009, 13:25
Nobody could have made the last 2 Honda's fast (massively flawed concept and no technical leadership from within the team) and the 01 Benetton went from being as slow as a Minardi to finishing on the podium, but that was more Mike Gascoine than the two drivers.

Fisi did manage a points-scoring result early in the season (under the old system when only the top-6 scored) and when both drivers managed to finish the race, GF was 9-0 vs Jenson. Just saying.

Sonic
13th October 2009, 14:17

How many times this season have we heard the statement, "Jenson reverted to Rubens setup"?

ArrowsFA1
13th October 2009, 14:37
How many times this season have we heard the statement, "Jenson reverted to Rubens setup"?
No idea. It would be interesting to see how many (linked) quotes there are to that effect, if any.

In any case, that's what team work is all about. If the Brawn drivers are working closely together as a team to get the car the best it can be then it's likely that JB will have reverted to RB's setup, and visa versa, on many occasions. One driver may find a "tweak" that works for him and, if the team are sharing data, the other driver will try that same "tweak". What works for one driver may, or may not, work for the other.

I am evil Homer
13th October 2009, 15:01
More importantly...has anyone else got this announcement apart from Sky?

Josti
13th October 2009, 15:41
More importantly...has anyone else got this announcement apart from Sky?

http://www.nusport.nl/formule-1/2100214/barrichello-in-2010-bij-williams.html

From a Dutch news site, who received the news from TV Globo in Brazil, where Luciano Burti interviewed Barrichello on the matter, and confirmed he will be in a Williams in 2010. Nothing official yet, but it has been announced on Autosport too, few weeks ago.

Only a matter of time I guess.

ioan
13th October 2009, 15:54

He sure did drive in bad cars and his performance was abysmal, this only points to him being pants when it comes to sorting out a car. :D

ArrowsFA1
13th October 2009, 16:18
He sure did drive in bad cars and his performance was abysmal, this only points to him being pants when it comes to sorting out a car. :D
That's certainly one conclusion that can be drawn, but it's not the "only" one. If only it were as simple as Driver X is rubbish at car setup, where as Driver Y is a genius. The driver contribution is a part of it, but just a part.

UltimateDanGTR
13th October 2009, 17:57
oh rubinho. still stands a chance of being world champion, and has to go to another team. My guess is Riss has carefully explained the situation with brawn, mercedes and rosberg, and rubens has got the hint and done something to help brawn-must be a case of no rosberg no mercs.

Fair play to rubens he knows his time is up there, but i feel sorry for him and feel old barry is just as good as Rosberg. I think we can all agree that the Brawn will be a lot better than the williams next year-but im sure Rubens will do himself proud.

gloomyDAY
13th October 2009, 18:21
Sucks for Rubens.

Williams aren't going anywhere next year.
I'll be surprised if Williams are around in the next 5 years.

Steve2009
13th October 2009, 18:39
oh rubinho. still stands a chance of being world champion, and has to go to another team. My guess is Riss has carefully explained the situation with brawn, mercedes and rosberg, and rubens has got the hint and done something to help brawn-must be a case of no rosberg no mercs.

Fair play to rubens he knows his time is up there, but i feel sorry for him and feel old barry is just as good as Rosberg. I think we can all agree that the Brawn will be a lot better than the williams next year-but im sure Rubens will do himself proud.To me it's just plain bad vibes to win a WCC and then ditch a guy who got you there.
I suspect your not all that familliar with the NFL. However I can think of a similar anallogy.
Afew years back the Baltimore Ravens won the Superbowl. So what do they do?
They bad vibe the team by releasing, or trading Trent Green the quarterback.
He never was considered to be a world beater, but he did it.
That's just plane bad vibes bro
So what happened to Baltimore the next season?
In the words of Dennis Hopper:
Bad things man Bad things :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:..... :s mokin:

HU8gvF6WCIk

ioan
13th October 2009, 19:35
That's certainly one conclusion that can be drawn, but it's not the "only" one.

Go ahead, come up with a reasonable one too.

ioan
13th October 2009, 19:37
Sucks for Rubens.

Rubens won't be around for more than one or maximum two seasons either.

Stuartf12007
13th October 2009, 19:54
I think its time Rubens retired and let the new guys have a go.

gloomyDAY
13th October 2009, 19:59
I think its time Rubens retired and let the new guys have a go.Yes, why not? He had a competitive car and gave it his all for the championship. Rubens should quit and hold his head up high while he's ontop, rather than next season when Williams will be struggling to get into Q2. I also don't want to see Rubens turn into another David Coulthard at the end of an otherwise illustrious career. God, I still get chills when I think of DC in that RB4.

Sonic
13th October 2009, 21:38

I'm with you Ioan. Starting out at Haywood where the team gave the driver the car and said "drive it" didn't exactly set him up for life in terms of being able to develop a good setup and it looks like he hasn't learnt anything along the way.

ShiftingGears
13th October 2009, 23:16
If it's true its certainly an odd combination.

Rubens seems like one of the least suited drivers to Williams in the field.

Saint Devote
14th October 2009, 01:15

Even if that were the case it is irrelevant - it is not preventing him being the most successful driver in 2009 - and unlike Schumacher he has not tried to cheat his way to winning by using his car as a missile projected at his rival and, unlike the German driver has not been thrown out of a championship.

I'd support Jenson any day before the driver from Kerpen.

And in a bad car Button's performance was far from abysmal - Jenson Button finished THIRD in the 2004 championship in the BAR Honda and for most of the year he qualified well including a pole position at Imola [with his teammate Sato over a second slower] - where was Schumacher then? SECOND of the grid BEHIND Button in a FERRARI!!!

Must have just enraged you no end as you are normally all bent out of shape and angry and rude anyway.

Saint Devote
14th October 2009, 01:19
Sucks for Rubens.

I think you will be surprised then - on several occassions Williams has been written off.

Koz
14th October 2009, 01:30
Yes, why not? He had a competitive car and gave it his all for the championship. Rubens should quit and hold his head up high while he's ontop, rather than next season when Williams will be struggling to get into Q2. I also don't want to see Rubens turn into another David Coulthard at the end of an otherwise illustrious career. God, I still get chills when I think of DC in that RB4.

Totally agree, he should have announced his retirement a few races ago.

I personally hoped he would win the WDC this year, and retire. People should always go out on a high note, not when they are at the back of the grid - and sadly that is where he will be in the Williams. It will be sad to watch.

keysersoze
14th October 2009, 02:07
Wackos on this board for suggesting Rubens hang it up. He's still capable of winning and, if the early reports are true, he's set to quadruple his 2090 salary in 2010, from 2 million to 8 million.

Not many people would head to retirement under those circumstances.

ShiftingGears
14th October 2009, 02:27
Even if that were the case it is irrelevant - it is not preventing him being the most successful driver in 2009 - and unlike Schumacher he has not tried to cheat his way to winning by using his car as a missile projected at his rival and, unlike the German driver has not been thrown out of a championship.

I'd support Jenson any day before the driver from Kerpen.

And in a bad car Button's performance was far from abysmal - Jenson Button finished THIRD in the 2004 championship in the BAR Honda and for most of the year he qualified well including a pole position at Imola [with his teammate Sato over a second slower] - where was Schumacher then? SECOND of the grid BEHIND Button in a FERRARI!!!

Must have just enraged you no end as you are normally all bent out of shape and angry and rude anyway.

Who said the 2004 BAR was bad?

ArrowsFA1
14th October 2009, 08:51
Go ahead, come up with a reasonable one too.
I simply don't think it's as simple as Driver X is rubbish at car setup, where as Driver Y is a genius.

Look at Brawn this year. If Button is leading the championship by using Barrichello's set ups why hasn't Rubens produced the same results over the course of the year? They're (allegedly) his setups so surely he should be the Brawn driver with the advantage.

Garry Walker
14th October 2009, 08:55

What happened in the race? Oh yeah, Schumacher destroyed Button again.
Every time those two met on track (granted, it happened rarely because Schumacher was winning and Button was nowhere most of the time), Button turned into a mental midget and cracked.
2005 Canada: Button crashes out the moment Schumacher appears in his mirrors
2005 Imola: Schumacher overtakes Button with ease.
2003 Malaysia: Schumacher overtakes Button on last lap.

To call the BAR of 2004 a bad car is crazy. It helped someone like Sato take a podium and was easily the 2nd best car of the year. Someone like Schumacher would have won quite a few races in that car.

ArrowsFA1
14th October 2009, 10:09
Rubens Barrichello insists he has not yet finalised a 2010 deal, despite reports that Williams is on the verge of announcing him as its new driver.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79417

Sonic
14th October 2009, 12:18
He'll hold out and see what happens with Jenson. If Brawny won't back down and pay Button more then Ruby still has a very good shot at staying with the team for 2010.

Bezza
14th October 2009, 12:59
Rubens off to Williams according to yesterdays Daily Mirror.

Not the most accurate paper in the world, and somewhere in the story they even mentioned how good Gordon Brown is.

Sonic
14th October 2009, 13:01

:D :p

Mark
14th October 2009, 14:34

I'm surprised they didn't write Robbie Williams off to Brawn, or something...

Sonic
14th October 2009, 16:13
I'm surprised they didn't write Robbie Williams off to Brawn, or something...

......with a two ton pooch!

Everytime I open that publication there is always an overweight pet. :rolleyes:

AndyL
14th October 2009, 18:20
unlike Schumacher he has not tried to cheat his way to winning by using his car as a missile projected at his rival

At least, not yet :devil: ;)

Dave B
22nd October 2009, 19:44
But it is Sky News, and they always rush to break the news, sometimes forsaking accuracy. However I doubt they would get the name of the team or driver wrong LOL.
The same Sky News that yesterday announced the death of the Lockerbie bomber before issuing a rather fumbled retraction about half an hour later. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying they're wrong about Barrichello, but it wouldn't be the first time.