What's word up and down pitlane...

All the teams planning on being back?

Anybody iffy?

penske15
12th October 2009, 01:02

Anybody iffy?

i'm sure you saw that sarah has added another car for next year with jay howard doing the driving on a limited basis. she'll run 9 and he'll run 4. so it was reported.

NickFalzone
12th October 2009, 01:17
Just to get off topic for a sec, I'm a big fan of Sarah and I really respect what she's doing with her team and I think she's a great benefit to the league. That being said, her results this season have been a lot less than impressive. I really thought that yesterday she would have at least done a top 12-15 effort, but she was quickly several laps down and finished over 10 laps down in 18th. This is with a new car and a team that has good experience on oval setup, and the time to perfect the car. Does anyone know what actually happened in yesterday's race? But my point is that each time they've been out this year they've had some lame thing happen to the car or the electronics and she starts going laps down. I've seen her compete near the front on ovals, so I know it's not her ability. But I think they need to work on figuring out the engineering side a little more because being a regular IRL backmarker is not a place that team should be.

SarahFan
12th October 2009, 02:19
I too have e xpected more also ......
Respect the Tanacity and drive though....

Loved her PR in may

chuck34
12th October 2009, 13:10
Just to get off topic for a sec, I'm a big fan of Sarah and I really respect what she's doing with her team and I think she's a great benefit to the league. That being said, her results this season have been a lot less than impressive. I really thought that yesterday she would have at least done a top 12-15 effort, but she was quickly several laps down and finished over 10 laps down in 18th. This is with a new car and a team that has good experience on oval setup, and the time to perfect the car. Does anyone know what actually happened in yesterday's race? But my point is that each time they've been out this year they've had some lame thing happen to the car or the electronics and she starts going laps down. I've seen her compete near the front on ovals, so I know it's not her ability. But I think they need to work on figuring out the engineering side a little more because being a regular IRL backmarker is not a place that team should be.

That's why I'm a bit surprised by her adding a second car. I would have thought that perhaps they would want to used that "extra" money on some testing or what-not. However, perhaps that money is tied to Howard somehow. And if that's the case then unless he also brings a crew, equipment, transporters, etc. I think it would have been a better idea for her to turn the deal down. Splitting resources is ALWAYS a bad idea, especially if you are struggling.

That being said, I wish her and Jay Howard all the best. I hope they prove me wrong and win a race next year (or at least finish in the top 5).

Chris R
12th October 2009, 15:00
That's why I'm a bit surprised by her adding a second car. I would have thought that perhaps they would want to used that "extra" money on some testing or what-not. However, perhaps that money is tied to Howard somehow. And if that's the case then unless he also brings a crew, equipment, transporters, etc. I think it would have been a better idea for her to turn the deal down. Splitting resources is ALWAYS a bad idea, especially if you are struggling.

That being said, I wish her and Jay Howard all the best. I hope they prove me wrong and win a race next year (or at least finish in the top 5).

don't many of the teams say they gain more from a second car than they lose in terms of track time and engineering input and "bang for the buck"??

MDS
12th October 2009, 15:08
Just to get off topic for a sec, I'm a big fan of Sarah and I really respect what she's doing with her team and I think she's a great benefit to the league. That being said, her results this season have been a lot less than impressive. I really thought that yesterday she would have at least done a top 12-15 effort, but she was quickly several laps down and finished over 10 laps down in 18th. This is with a new car and a team that has good experience on oval setup, and the time to perfect the car. Does anyone know what actually happened in yesterday's race?

She, like most of the drivers in the pre-2008 IRL, was never that good to begin with and benefited from being with a strong team in a weak field. Now she is in weak car in a strong field.

Mario Mareas has speed, and showed it in practice at Homestead, and all he could do is hang in the top 10. The weather knocked a lot of people out of contention.

Chamoo
12th October 2009, 16:17
I think the way that Sarah, her husband, and her father-in-law have run the team, that they would have taken everything into consideration before making this deal happen.

This deal might allow them to bring a couple more people on board, which if I'm not mistaken, would add to the 9 full-time employees they actually have. If bringing on the second car allows them to up the average knowledge they have in their work force, I think it's a very good idea.

EagleEye
12th October 2009, 16:26

Anybody iffy?

Waiting for the first shoe to "officially" be dropped. The hold up is on the small details (if she gets hurt in another series, who pays for this and that, compensation if she misses races, H does not want her in a T, etc.). Nothing a few lawyers can not work out.

The owners, as you know, have not been pleased with the TV ratings and the entire Versus/Direct TV/TV package for next year saga. That and some internal IRL issues/possible changes/Brazil/engines/chassis/schedule/start times/rule changes/....glad we get a bit of a break really. There were a lot of meetings taking place.

I'll try and have a good (or bad) silly season update soon.

Gluaistean
12th October 2009, 17:32
Watching that Homestead debacle makes me cry. Champcar, please come back.

penske15
12th October 2009, 21:27

OH MAN!! do you need a drink or what?!

penske15
12th October 2009, 21:36
I think the way that Sarah, her husband, and her father-in-law have run the team, that they would have taken everything into consideration before making this deal happen.

This deal might allow them to bring a couple more people on board, which if I'm not mistaken, would add to the 9 full-time employees they actually have. If bringing on the second car allows them to up the average knowledge they have in their work force, I think it's a very good idea.

i think it will allow them to hire some folks but i doubt it will be a full time deal for them. i've been knocking on their door for awhile now and they aren't budging. we'll see what happens i guess.

Gluaistean
13th October 2009, 00:01
OH MAN!! do you need a drink or what?!

Why would I need a drink. watching these parades imitating racing and drivers unable to race on a road course because they can't is a sham.

That's why I wish that Champcar would stil be here.

ykiki
13th October 2009, 00:45
Why would I need a drink. watching these parades imitating racing and drivers unable to race on a road course because they can't is a sham.

That's why I wish that Champcar would stil be here.

Yes, I realize we can't go back in time - but what really drew me to CART in the 80s/90s was that there were plenty of drivers who were darn good racers on road courses AND ovals.

Chamoo
13th October 2009, 01:08
Yes, I realize we can't go back in time - but what really drew me to CART in the 80s/90s was that there were plenty of drivers who were darn good racers on road courses AND ovals.

Well, I think we'll start to see more American's who are good on both ovals and road courses. Now that Star Mazda is beginning to run some ovals, it will help bring up good road racing American's, who will also have experience with ovals instead of having to learn ovals in the FIL series.

spiritone
13th October 2009, 04:28
Right now the irl is a poor imitation of what the irl was only a few years ago. Champ car with the new car had the makings of a excellent series. The merging of the two series has not produced more fans or better racing.

Your right about not being able to go back, but the series right now is in a great deal of trouble whether anyone here wants to admit it. The tv contract is not working now matter how hard anyone tries to spin it.

The series is dominated by two teams with money and that is not about to change. As long as there is the same old dallara chassis your going to get the same two teams winning, ask Robin Miller.

The question everyone should be asking is, how many teams or fans will be left by the time the new engines and chassis come around. Better yet will the teams left be able to afford the new cars.

The damage that tony has done cannot be fixed quickly and the future of openwheel racing right now looks pretty bleak. Time for a complete overhaul.

chuck34
13th October 2009, 12:35
Another thread turned into an IRL vs CART/ChampCar debate.

So old, so boring. Let's talk about the teams, drivers, etc.

Ok blast away at me now.

TURN3
13th October 2009, 13:45
Another thread turned into an IRL vs CART/ChampCar debate.

So old, so boring. Let's talk about the teams, drivers, etc.

Ok blast away at me now.

The only suggestion I see of an IRL/Champ Car debate is yours. There is little doubt our beloved racing is in trouble, big trouble. To suggest a model more similiar to where Champ Car was headed, or more accurately all of our dreams of where CART was is completely legitimate. We all know it isn't going to happen but that doesn't mean sit back and deal with the pathetic series we have now does it? And if you're trying to start an IRL/Champ Car string within this thread, maybe consider that the IRL has basically copied everything that embodied the past series' (plural)...see next years schedule and probably driver entrants. Champ Car was absolutely on the right track with the new car, and that is what the IRL needs desparately along with another 1 or 2 engine manufacturers. Champ Car tried a TV package on Spike, it failed miserably much like the viewership on Versus (although coverage was excellent). Kevin Kalkoven has strongly suggested to learn from the mistakes Champ Car made in that area and it has fallen on deaf ears. The bottom line is that it isn't a war discussion, it is a discussion of how we all hope our racing is saved, before it is too late. You seriously need a life for trying to make more of this portion of the thread than its intent.

garyshell
13th October 2009, 15:36
Champcar, please come back.

...but what really drew me to CART in the 80s/90s was ...

...Champ car with the new car had the makings of a excellent series. ...

Another thread turned into an IRL vs CART/ChampCar debate. ...

The only suggestion I see of an IRL/Champ Car debate is yours. ...

Don't you think that is just a tad bit disingenuous given the other quotes above?

Gary

chuck34
13th October 2009, 15:49
Don't you think that is just a tad bit disingenuous given the other quotes above?

Gary

No Gary he's technically right. There was no debate in the quotes you posted. Only bashing of the IRL and lauding of the old CART/Champcar. Everyone seemed to be in agreement that CART/Champcar were the best series ever. The IRL never entered into the discussion until I brought it up.

So shame on me for that one I suppose.

It's just getting really old. This thread was supposed to be about "Team scuttlebutt", that is if you go by the title. And so far there hasn't been much posted on what the teams are doing, only moaning about the "glory days".

garyshell
13th October 2009, 15:50
No Gary he's technically right. There was no debate in the quotes you posted. Only bashing of the IRL and lauding of the old CART/Champcar. Everyone seemed to be in agreement that CART/Champcar were the best series ever. The IRL never entered into the discussion until I brought it up.

So shame on me for that one I suppose.

It's just getting really old. This thread was supposed to be about "Team scuttlebutt", that is if you go by the title. And so far there hasn't been much posted on what the teams are doing, only moaning about the "glory days".

Point taken. Turn3, I hereby retract my question. <shakes head>

I know, it is getting old. I was a die hard CART and Champcar guy, dissing King George and his "vision" at every turn. (I still wouldn't spit on the SOB if he were on fire.) But in the last year of ChampCar, I saw the handwriting on the wall and realized that neither sanctioning body was ever really in charge. The suits on Madison Ave. were and always had been. The 13 year war proved that to me. I'd love to be able to turn the clock back to 1990 again too. But what's the old adage about wishing in one hand and crapping in the other?

Gary

Gary

SarahFan
13th October 2009, 16:14
wilson?

where does he end up?

his season at Coyne was a highlight for me....

but I'd like to see him straddled with a bit more speed on ovals....KV would seem a good fit also

NickFalzone
13th October 2009, 16:18
The only suggestion I see of an IRL/Champ Car debate is yours. There is little doubt our beloved racing is in trouble, big trouble. To suggest a model more similiar to where Champ Car was headed, or more accurately all of our dreams of where CART was is completely legitimate. We all know it isn't going to happen but that doesn't mean sit back and deal with the pathetic series we have now does it? And if you're trying to start an IRL/Champ Car string within this thread, maybe consider that the IRL has basically copied everything that embodied the past series' (plural)...see next years schedule and probably driver entrants. Champ Car was absolutely on the right track with the new car, and that is what the IRL needs desparately along with another 1 or 2 engine manufacturers. Champ Car tried a TV package on Spike, it failed miserably much like the viewership on Versus (although coverage was excellent). Kevin Kalkoven has strongly suggested to learn from the mistakes Champ Car made in that area and it has fallen on deaf ears. The bottom line is that it isn't a war discussion, it is a discussion of how we all hope our racing is saved, before it is too late. You seriously need a life for trying to make more of this portion of the thread than its intent.

That's interesting, because a lot of the discussion on here has been about the fact that the IRL since unification has started to become TOO much like ChampCar and is thus falling into the same financial traps that led to bankruptcy. So some argue here that the IRL sucks because it's too much like CC, others argue that the IRL sucks because it's not enough like CC, and others just want it to be its own thing and get back onto decent footing financially.

NickFalzone
13th October 2009, 16:19
wilson?

where does he end up?

his season at Coyne was a highlight for me....

but I'd like to see him straddled with a bit more speed on ovals....KV would seem a good fit also

For better or worse, I don't see him going anywhere. At least he'll have a fulltime ride, which is more than can be said of many other talents like PT and Servia.

Gluaistean
13th October 2009, 16:28
Champcar may have been a valiant attempt to salvage the past, but it was a joke compared to, and pale imitation of CART in the glory years. Back when all were one series, Indy included.

True, but my naming it Champcar was deliberate becuase that is what the series was known as at the end. Not CART.

The worst Champcar race I have seen is still better than that snooze fest with three cars on the lead lap. When Champcar/CART ran on ovals can you remember a similar scenario? I pose this question to everyone.

Oh, by the way, well done Ms. Duno. You finished ahead of many of the "better" drivers and yes, Danica I'M GREAT AND SEXY Patrick. :)

SarahFan
13th October 2009, 16:36
For better or worse, I don't see him going anywhere. At least he'll have a fulltime ride, which is more than can be said of many other talents like PT and Servia.

I have no problem with him at coyne..... in fact i think his personality gels well with the underdogs......

just like to see a bit more oval speed is all.... and it appears KV has a tad bit more...

i agree.... likely a return to coyne....

chuck34
13th October 2009, 17:58
I have no problem with him at coyne..... in fact i think his personality gels well with the underdogs......

just like to see a bit more oval speed is all.... and it appears KV has a tad bit more...

I think he'll be good at Coyne. Hopefully they can find a bit of time in the off season to get into a wind tunnel. That should help a bunch. From the sounds of it, they spent much of the off season last year on a 7 post rig. That certainly helped them on the road courses. So if they put that same amount of time/effort into a tunnel program, they should improve a step or two on the ovals.

TURN3
13th October 2009, 18:07

With Wilson in Coyne's seat, I wouldn't say they are that much an underdog anymore. I mean they are a threat to win every non-oval race and if Coyne continues to commit to improving his oval program I could see Justin in the top 5 or 6 during the championship fight next year. Coyne, much like Fisher, has built his team from the boot straps and equally deserves credit for perservering. His hires of Pappas and Wilson last offseason prove how committed he is to building a contender.

SarahFan
13th October 2009, 18:10
With Wilson in Coyne's seat, I wouldn't say they are that much an underdog anymore. I mean they are a threat to win every non-oval race and if Coyne continues to commit to improving his oval program I could see Justin in the top 5 or 6 during the championship fight next year. Coyne, much like Fisher, has built his team from the boot straps and equally deserves credit for perservering. His hires of Pappas and Wilson last offseason prove how committed he is to building a contender.

totally agree....

SarahFan
13th October 2009, 18:11
how about NHL...

two car team in 2010?

I've heard rumors of loyd in the second seat?..... is that confirmed?.... sponsorship $$$$has got to effect these guys at some poiint

chuck34
13th October 2009, 18:43
how about NHL...

two car team in 2010?

I've heard rumors of loyd in the second seat?..... is that confirmed?.... sponsorship $$$$has got to effect these guys at some poiint

I would love to see Lloyd in a car nex year. I think he's shown he deserves a ride. And NHL partnering with Rahal would be really cool, IMHO.

indyracefan
13th October 2009, 20:17
how about NHL...

two car team in 2010?

I've heard nothing about McDonald's but have read that NHL was committed to keeping Rahal. I'm not sure if that translates to McDonald's return or if other sponsors are being sought. I had read leading up to Homestead that NHL was actively seeking sponsorship for Oriol as well.

From May forward 'HER' has made it known that they wanted to be in the series full-time in 2010. They were very pleased with Alex in May as demonstrated by them pairing up again at Homestead. I've seen nothing official although this is looking like a done deal.

Of course this is the IndyCar series so all of that may or may not happen at all...or change three times with 2 'other' drivers before next season.

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 00:12
True, but my naming it Champcar was deliberate becuase that is what the series was known as at the end. Not CART.

The worst Champcar race I have seen is still better than that snooze fest with three cars on the lead lap. When Champcar/CART ran on ovals can you remember a similar scenario? I pose this question to everyone.

Oh, by the way, well done Ms. Duno. You finished ahead of many of the "better" drivers and yes, Danica I'M GREAT AND SEXY Patrick. :)

You would have to go back a few years. Champ Car bailed on ovals (one of their mistakes) for the most part when we got to the 2000's.

Kudo's to Duno to beating a few drivers, but she still aint better than most of the ones she beat, even Patrick. I have knocked Danica a lot over the years, but I will say she isn't a menace out there. Not sure about Duno.

What do I hope for next year? That the rules are opened up and someone can break through besides Penske and Ganassi on a regular basis. Open up the development of the chassis or add chassis sooner rather than later. We need to split up the field, open up opportunities. With god knows how many years worth of development on this Dallara, Penske and Ganassi have this care figured out, and no one else can afford to figure it out to that level. The will win for the most part, and it is only great drivers from the likes of Justin Wilson that have changed the picture. I think by opening up the rules on a little on the road courses anyhow, someone might stumble across the better mouse trap.

I for one enjoyed the old scrap with the IRL fans when I was a CART loyalist, but I didn't see much point in it when CART died, Champ Car came along, and commited economic suicide flailing about looking for a magic formula to get back to where CART was once. The said reality is, OW may be done for past being a niche sport. The war's greatest victim was the race fan...he just went away..or rather, went to NASCAR and he isn't coming back. I am watching a lot more NASCAR myself of late.....and that wasn't really my focus when OW wasn't ripping itself apart.

NickFalzone
14th October 2009, 02:18
But Mark, don't you think that 3 (or 4) cars on the lead lap halfway into a race is just as often going to happen when the rules get opened up even more? I blame the lack of yellows in particular for having the field get so spread out at Homestead, because several other races this season also had a small # on the lead lap, but not as bad as homestead (Richmond certainly was about as bad and it did have some cautions). I think the real solution is yes, open up the rules with new tech packages, but ALSO the only way that will work is if there are more than 2-3 teams that have the $$ and resources to compete. NASCAR has many, many teams through the field that are well sponsored and thus can throw a lot of money on their equipment. Look at Michael Waltrip Racing in 09, or EGR, or Red Bull. They have a good 7-10 teams with lots of money to spend, so the competition is better. Until the IRL can have more depth with a well-sponsored field of teams, it will be a less than entertaining situation with TCG, Penske, sometimes AGR/NHL, and then a rare Coyne win. If a title sponsorship happens, and money starts coming into the series and is spread amongst the teams, good things could happen. But sadly I do not see this kind of financial bailout coming any time soon, at least not at the level needed.

And all this being said, I do think that Franchitti, Dixon, and Briscoe are the best of the best talentwise in the series as far as their abilities across all types of tracks. So I don't think it's fair to say take away from their results by putting it on the equipment. But in the bigger picture, there may be a few other very talented drivers in the field that are being held back due to very poor equipment/little sponsorship. I look at someone like Wheldon, who I don't think is as strong all around as Dario, but he should have been much stronger this season if it was not for Panther's engineering issues.

Hoop-98
14th October 2009, 03:42
Time flys...
The older I get the faster I was and the better the times were....

http://i38.tinypic.com/23pl4w.jpg

rh

Lousada
14th October 2009, 10:11
Time flys...

rh

Of course, I count eight different chassis/engine combinations. I think people expect parity if everyone drives exactly the same cars.

SarahFan
14th October 2009, 15:01
Time flys...

rh

whats your point?

it lists Paul Tracy out because of Contact

Double Duh

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 15:09
But Mark, don't you think that 3 (or 4) cars on the lead lap halfway into a race is just as often going to happen when the rules get opened up even more? I blame the lack of yellows in particular for having the field get so spread out at Homestead, because several other races this season also had a small # on the lead lap, but not as bad as homestead (Richmond certainly was about as bad and it did have some cautions). I think the real solution is yes, open up the rules with new tech packages, but ALSO the only way that will work is if there are more than 2-3 teams that have the $$ and resources to compete. NASCAR has many, many teams through the field that are well sponsored and thus can throw a lot of money on their equipment. Look at Michael Waltrip Racing in 09, or EGR, or Red Bull. They have a good 7-10 teams with lots of money to spend, so the competition is better. Until the IRL can have more depth with a well-sponsored field of teams, it will be a less than entertaining situation with TCG, Penske, sometimes AGR/NHL, and then a rare Coyne win. If a title sponsorship happens, and money starts coming into the series and is spread amongst the teams, good things could happen. But sadly I do not see this kind of financial bailout coming any time soon, at least not at the level needed.

And all this being said, I do think that Franchitti, Dixon, and Briscoe are the best of the best talentwise in the series as far as their abilities across all types of tracks. So I don't think it's fair to say take away from their results by putting it on the equipment. But in the bigger picture, there may be a few other very talented drivers in the field that are being held back due to very poor equipment/little sponsorship. I look at someone like Wheldon, who I don't think is as strong all around as Dario, but he should have been much stronger this season if it was not for Panther's engineering issues.

If you change the rules and chassis regs enough, there will be a enough retrenching that a small team might just find the speed. Short of of banning Penske and Ganassi, not sure how we can bring parity for the small teams unless you change the game enough that they stumble across the solution first.

SarahFan
14th October 2009, 15:20
If you change the rules and chassis regs enough, there will be a enough retrenching that a small team might just find the speed. Short of of banning Penske and Ganassi, not sure how we can bring parity for the small teams unless you change the game enough that they stumble across the solution first.

what about making them 'claiming races'......might make things interesting

SarahFan
14th October 2009, 18:42
I believe (not to put words in his mouth) that he's referenceing this:

Note the finishing positions and laps down in Hoop's post.

I know ... I was kidding

aren't these forums suppossed to be Fun?

djparky
14th October 2009, 21:45

CART at it's best say 1991-99 absolutely- the farce that was CCWS- no thank you!

PA Rick
15th October 2009, 05:27
CART at it's best say 1991-99 absolutely- the farce that was CCWS- no thank you!
Bottom line is when there was Goodyear and Firestone tires; Chevy, Ford, Honda, Toyota, and Mercedes (and Buick and Chev pushrod for Indy) engines, and Lola, Reynard, March, Swift, and Penske tubs, the competition was breathtaking. For a short period CART was on a par or even above F1.

EagleEye
16th October 2009, 19:00
Bottom line is when there was Goodyear and Firestone tires; Chevy, Ford, Honda, Toyota, and Mercedes (and Buick and Chev pushrod for Indy) engines, and Lola, Reynard, March, Swift, and Penske tubs, the competition was breathtaking. For a short period CART was on a par or even above F1.

I remember all the early testing we used to do. Getting new cars/engines/electronics every year, as early as September/October. Testing after the last race (or even before!), and into the winter. Trying to keep the photogs away from hill at Phoenix.

Good times, when "living the dream" was indeed a dream.

SarahFan
16th October 2009, 19:54
I remember all the early testing we used to do. Getting new cars/engines/electronics every year, as early as September/October. Testing after the last race (or even before!), and into the winter. Trying to keep the photogs away from hill at Phoenix.

Good times, when "living the dream" was indeed a dream.

It's when you read a post like this^...

And you relize just how fuked up the vision was

EagleEye
22nd October 2009, 20:15
There is still a lot going on, and there will be some interesting things between now and the start of the 2010 season.

As of today, DP still has not signed on with Andretti, though it is likely to occur once she gets a deal on the NASCAR side of things.

Formula Dream and Honda are still peeved at GDF, for asking for more money than they presented. The money could stay with Andretti, or go with Sato to F1. Andretti's plans hinge on what DP does, and what FD does.

Ganassi has looked into running three cars again. Might Chip go after TK again? JW? GR?? Or, just run two cars.

Coyne looks to secure JW, and maybe add a team mate for him.

NHL is looking to secure GR for next season and beyond, though there might be some other changes in the team and/or structure.

That is the good news.

Many of the other teams are having a big struggle at the this time, and lot of them have released staff. I hope the crews can get some work, or have savings stashed for the holidays. My prayers are out for those on the street. I've seen a lot of resumes being sent in from mechanics and engineers, and it does not bode well for many given the times.

If anyone feels like they want to help, please send letter in support of the series to the series sponsors. Honda, Firestone, Izod, Menard, Marlboro, Target, 7-11, Motorola, McD's, Zline, Go Daddy, Dollar General, and any others deserve to hear your praise (not complaints) for supporting the series and teams.

Thanks,

MDS
22nd October 2009, 22:55
EE,

I would have thought with your "connections" at NHL you'd have the inside sources about Newman Wachs coming to the IRL next year.

DanicaFan
23rd October 2009, 05:12
A little discrepancy with the Danica report. My AGR sources told me awhile back, a 1 year deal was done for sure, then later they told me about the 3 year deal, that came out later, with some finalizing to be done. Its also a sponsor issue with the contract, not just a NASCAR thing.

EagleEye
23rd October 2009, 18:35
A little discrepancy with the Danica report. My AGR sources told me awhile back, a 1 year deal was done for sure, then later they told me about the 3 year deal, that came out later, with some finalizing to be done. Its also a sponsor issue with the contract, not just a NASCAR thing.

No deal done yet, though it should be shortly. The issue is H versus T, and who pays for what if she is injured in another series and can not make races in the IRL. It will get done, but it has been an interesting time. TJ has been very quiet, even on the course!

Wachs is looking at options, but does not made any choice on what they will do in 2010.

MDS, whose silly season crystal ball did not even include one of the most active drivers in the paddock, Hinchcliff, continues to be out of the loop. Hinch will be going will have a team-mate if the deal goes as planned with.............

BTW, it is good to see you back. The series needs 1,000,000 fans like you. Maybe go a bit easier on Danica winning every week though...

SarahFan
23rd October 2009, 18:54
BTW, it is good to see you back. The series needs 1,000,000 fans like you. Maybe go a bit easier on Danica winning every week though...

she didn't?

DanicaFan
23rd October 2009, 22:03
Sorry eagle eye but the 1 year deal was done already, the 3 year deal is being finalized.

EagleEye
26th October 2009, 02:22
Sorry eagle eye but the 1 year deal was done already, the 3 year deal is being finalized.

We can agree to disagree.

MDS
26th October 2009, 14:22
MDS, whose silly season crystal ball did not even include one of the most active drivers in the paddock, Hinchcliff, continues to be out of the loop. Hinch will be going will have a team-mate if the deal goes as planned with.............

Seriously? You brag about hanging out with Mike Lanigan and didn't say word one about NWR coming up to the IRL this year? Seems like a pretty big thing for a self-proclaimed insider like yourself to not know about. Or about the possible buyout of an existing team by a former driver. Haven't seen you say anything about Bobby East trying to buy an Indy one-off ride with an established team either. You're elimination of Ranger as a potential driver for 2010 doesn't appear to be accurate either.

Play whatever silly game you want to by pretending like you know the team Hichcliffe is talking with, all you're doing is making yourself sound like Mother Cleo, which I think is funny. As far as Hinch goes I tried to explain the situation to you through PM, but since you blocked me you must not want to know.

Lousada
26th October 2009, 15:14
My dad is better than both your dads nananana

Chamoo
26th October 2009, 15:30
Seriously? You brag about hanging out with Mike Lanigan and didn't say word one about NWR coming up to the IRL this year? Seems like a pretty big thing for a self-proclaimed insider like yourself to not know about. Or about the possible buyout of an existing team by a former driver. Haven't seen you say anything about Bobby East trying to buy an Indy one-off ride with an established team either. You're elimination of Ranger as a potential driver for 2010 doesn't appear to be accurate either.

Play whatever silly game you want to by pretending like you know the team Hichcliffe is talking with, all you're doing is making yourself sound like Mother Cleo, which I think is funny. As far as Hinch goes I tried to explain the situation to you through PM, but since you blocked me you must not want to know.

You're getting out of hand here pal.

vintage
26th October 2009, 17:14
EagleEye - what does "The issue is H versus T" mean?

Thanks

Jag_Warrior
26th October 2009, 18:50
EagleEye - what does "The issue is H versus T" mean?

Thanks

I assumed that he meant Honda versus Toyota. But if she's really in talks with Tony Stewart, he's a GM/Chevy dude - and so is RCR. So I don't know who or what "T" is. Maybe Michael Waltrip will take the Princess under his capable (Toyota) wing and make her a champeen! Course these days, poor ol' Mikey can't drive down a side street without hitting something. Wonder how many points are on his drivers license now? :D

Whoops! I can't let myself get distracted while I'm bashing Danica though. Time to straighten up! :p :

EagleEye
26th October 2009, 19:59

Bragged? I only mentioned that we were at his house last year for a party prior to the Chicoland race, and I was impressed at they size of the house and bowling on "Payton Lanes."

Bobby East. LOL. That is all I have to say on the matter. It does not take anyone that is part of the series to speculate on anyone buying a ride. If daddy has the money (he does) then he can pay whom ever he wants...including 3G.

If you want to start a thread on who is trying to buy their way into the Indy 500 next year, feel free to do so.

Where exactly, did I eleiminate Ranger? My post only referenced your poor cyrstal ball skills in your Silly season post, as you did not mention the one driver who was making the rounds at almost every event, which was Hinch.

NWR is considering several series next year and are a seperate operation. They have not made any announcment about coming to the IRL, so I'm not sure what more you want. As you can tell by some of their press releases, they are very sensative to what is reported about their plans next year, and even if I did hear anything, you won't hear a peep from me. You can run with it all you want.

As for "silly" game, you are the king. I had dinner with Hinch and his manager (TL) at one of the races this year, and they spoke about directly what they are looking for next year. You were blocked becuase all you do is chase my posts, and play games yourself. I made it clear, that if you acted like an adult, I would be happy to respond. So far you have failed to act like an adult, and only want to argue every detail.
Someone PM'd me about a team, with info they got from a PR person. It was different information than what the Team Manager has been saying. I do not doubt this person got information from the PR person, so who is right, who is wrong? In that case, we are both right, as I heard one thing from one person, and the other from another source. We could argue who knows more, a PR person or TM...

Even DPFan, has different information from me. Very polite (as usual) in saying my info was bad. We sometimes have to agree to disagree. No name calling, or chasing, or bad mouthing.

When I was asked to post about next year, I said very clearly I was waiting for the first shoe to drop. It has yet to happen. I also indicated there is a lot going on, and there is. It would not make sense to post anything at this time, becuase there are so many questions marks. Even teams that I know extremely well have not signed certain drivers yet.

You claim to be a former Patrick employee (and based on your own description of yourself, I think I might know who you are) and that was a team I knew extremely well. I sent you an PM about that, but you may have blcoked me as well. I spent a lot of time at the shop there....for a variety of reasons. I did not spend time there later in the team's existance, when the ran Al Jr, for example.

I know Bev, Ward, Newey, McCaulley, Matt, Snodgrass, Darren, Krisoloff, and Mr. McGee extremely well. I even got coaxed into working on Kyle's car by Steve on more than one occasion, as you might have been as well. I saw and spoke with Mr. McGee at Phil's charity earlier this month , and he has been a regular in the NHL garage at Indy the last two years. He is, as you know, a genius.

There are some teams I know/knew extremely well:Rahal(When Cindric was there), Ganassi, Penske (When Teddy was there), Della Penna, Patrick, PacWest, NHL, Fernandez, Menards, AGR/TG, Forsythe, Kelley, Tasman, Matco (lights), PPI, RGR, AAR, Cheever, Walker, Mo Nunn, DCR, Project Indy, Blair, Beck, PDM, Mears to name a few. (Sad to see how many are gone...)

I had dinner with PJ and his dad at the little italian resturant everyone goes to in Seaside after one of the Laguna races back in the day. We can talk about his old girlfriend from CA (who later was Adrian's GF), and you might find that once you get over your resentment of me, our paths have surely crossed and I have no enemies. You would know the one, as we all did back then. Very sharp little number, with some added features supplied by PJ.

Scooter, was one of my best friends in California, and I have had wine with him at his house in Folsom, when I am out that way in addition to spending with him at Daytona last year.

Not sure what I ever did to you, but I have only posted information based on conversations in the paddock. That does not make me better than anyone though it does provide me with as much information as anyone else would have in the paddock.

EagleEye
26th October 2009, 20:01
I assumed that he meant Honda versus Toyota. But if she's really in talks with Tony Stewart, he's a GM/Chevy dude - and so is RCR. So I don't know who or what "T" is. Maybe Michael Waltrip will take the Princess under his capable (Toyota) wing and make her a champeen! Course these days, poor ol' Mikey can't drive down a side street without hitting something. Wonder how many points are on his drivers license now? :D

Whoops! I can't let myself get distracted while I'm bashing Danica though. Time to straighten up! :p :

you are correct sir. H had an issue with her Go Daddy spot, in which she drove a Ford, and they have issues IF she drives a T.

EagleEye
30th October 2009, 15:55
Looks like it will be out next week.

Chris R
30th October 2009, 17:10

what "it" is going to be out?? - sorry I have lost track of the "conversation" in this thread....

garyshell
30th October 2009, 17:48
what "it" is going to be out?? - sorry I have lost track of the "conversation" in this thread....

Whew! Glad I wasn't the only one who had no idea what that refereed to. I thought I was having a "senior moment".

Gary

Blancvino
30th October 2009, 17:56
Is the Vision Racing Team fork tender yet? AR1 rumor page does not paint a pretty picture.

Let's see: House for sale, fired from his dream job, pissed off his sisters, his race team seems to be in tatters ... anything working for the grandson these days?

MDS
30th October 2009, 19:04
Well, there's that rumor about Bryan Herta buying out Tony George and Ed Carpenter and Menards staying on board. So in theory the firings aren't a horrible sign, but rather Bryan getting rid of Tony's people to bring in his own.

EagleEye
4th November 2009, 21:25

Seems her deal is now done with JR, so she will be in a Chevy. Honda is ok with that...and the deal can be completed with Andretti.

Since the IRL is having the IZOD pressy 11/5, I think her team will wait to announce all the details.

Chris R
5th November 2009, 12:59
Seems her deal is now done with JR, so she will be in a Chevy. Honda is ok with that...and the deal can be completed with Andretti.

Since the IRL is having the IZOD pressy 11/5, I think her team will wait to announce all the details.

interesting - JR huh?? It seem like a bad move on first glance - but I suppose she is positioning herself for Mark Martin's seat when he actually retires????

Anyway, it will be sad to see yet another open wheeler flop in NASCAR but I suppose you have to think about your earning potential when you are in any professional sport.....

TURN3
5th November 2009, 13:27
interesting - JR huh?? It seem like a bad move on first glance - but I suppose she is positioning herself for Mark Martin's seat when he actually retires????

Anyway, it will be sad to see yet another open wheeler flop in NASCAR but I suppose you have to think about your earning potential when you are in any professional sport.....

Do you think she'll actually show well enough to ever get to Cup? C'mon. I'm actually happy to see she's going to be with Jr. and in top level equipment...much like at AGR there are now NO EXCUSES. She will fail miserably and when she does I predict the end of The Brand much like Anna Kournakova fell off the map when it became obvious that she just couldn't cut it.

dataman1
5th November 2009, 16:35
Dreyer laid off a bunch of their mechanics last week. Don't know exact numbers.

Chamoo
5th November 2009, 16:44
Dreyer laid off a bunch of their mechanics last week. Don't know exact numbers.

D&R do that every offseason. It's how they save money. It's unfortunate for the mechanics, but they will most likely be hired in a few months to start testing.

MDS
6th November 2009, 16:45
Another rumor that has been going around is that NHL is going to be a three car team next season.

With Ryan going to Andretti and taking Hideki's spot, and Gil upsetting Honda by asking for too much money it looks like the Formula Dream money could end up going to NHL as a third car for either Sato or Hedki. If this happens its a bonus all around. Andretti gets an upgrade at driver, NHL gets more funds, which it clearly needs, and another competitive team is added to the field.

What I don't think anyone knows yet is if the the Formula Dream sponsorship would be kicked to Newman Wachs Racing, which I doubt because they have John Edwards, or used to fund one of the existing cars, again doubtful because they want a full time Japanese driver in the series and NHL appears to have two full time sponsors, or if Hideki or Sato gets the seat in this scenario.

Also from PT's twitter: "Had a good talk with the new vp of monster , keep the shoutouts flowing , it has to help."

SarahFan
6th November 2009, 16:47
MDS... is it fact that hedeki wont be back... or is that just the assumption?

*I haven't seen that in print besides rumor...did I miss something?

MDS
6th November 2009, 16:52
Ken, I thought I kinda clearly stated that no one seems to know if Hideki is staying or going.

This just popped up on my news feed from Kurt about an hour ago:

In a related note, Hunter-Reay is expected to use Izod backing to land the fourth car (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091106/IRL/311069998#) on what is currently known as Andretti Green Racing. That car was driven by Hideki Mutoh the past two seasons, but he and the Formula Dream sponsorship might be on the move to Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, which also will field Graham Rahal and Alex Lloyd. http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091106/IRL/311069998

SarahFan
6th November 2009, 17:01
My bad M....

gotta admit... i only read the first 1/2 of the post

Mark in Oshawa
7th November 2009, 04:02

She has stepped in it. Put up or shut up. JR runs a top flight team in the Nationwide series. I don't like her chances. She hasn't the right attitude to go over to NASCAR. That princess act that people in Indy Car have tolerated wont fly over there.....

as for her taking Mark Martin's seat, in her dreams. Mark is in it for 2 more years. If Danica has survived two years without her rep being shredded as not up to handling NASCAR, maybe it happens.....but that is a lot of if's and I live in the land of is, not if.

beachbum
7th November 2009, 13:05
She has stepped in it. Put up or shut up. JR runs a top flight team in the Nationwide series. I don't like her chances. She hasn't the right attitude to go over to NASCAR. That princess act that people in Indy Car have tolerated wont fly over there.....

as for her taking Mark Martin's seat, in her dreams. Mark is in it for 2 more years. If Danica has survived two years without her rep being shredded as not up to handling NASCAR, maybe it happens.....but that is a lot of if's and I live in the land of is, not if.Danica (or her marketing people) has already stepped in it. Since mid-Sept, the media has been reporting that she had a 2 year deal signed with JR Motorsports, but a quote from Junior this week paints a different picture. Junior's comments (http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/nationwideseries/JR_Motorsports_continues_work_on_bringing_Danica_P atrick_to_NASCAR.html)

“She’s really serious about it, and she’s going to do it with somebody. We’re working on details and trying to be part of that puzzle. We’ll know more in the future.”

That doesn't sound like a done deal to me. This has been in the rumor mill since June, but nothing yet seems firm. Rumors were for her to run Phoenix this year, then Daytona next spring, then Daytona in ARCA, then ....... Regardless, she certainly doesn't sound like she wants to stay in the IRL.

IMHO, she should just stop talking and make the plunge. Like some of the media, I think this is becoming a comedy of errors and unfulfilled hype. Either she wants to race in NASCAR, or not. But this current mess just looks to be all about the money and where she can get the most.

Mark in Oshawa
7th November 2009, 14:39
Danica (or her marketing people) has already stepped in it. Since mid-Sept, the media has been reporting that she had a 2 year deal signed with JR Motorsports, but a quote from Junior this week paints a different picture. Junior's comments (http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/nationwideseries/JR_Motorsports_continues_work_on_bringing_Danica_P atrick_to_NASCAR.html)

“She’s really serious about it, and she’s going to do it with somebody. We’re working on details and trying to be part of that puzzle. We’ll know more in the future.”

That doesn't sound like a done deal to me. This has been in the rumor mill since June, but nothing yet seems firm. Rumors were for her to run Phoenix this year, then Daytona next spring, then Daytona in ARCA, then ....... Regardless, she certainly doesn't sound like she wants to stay in the IRL.

IMHO, she should just stop talking and make the plunge. Like some of the media, I think this is becoming a comedy of errors and unfulfilled hype. Either she wants to race in NASCAR, or not. But this current mess just looks to be all about the money and where she can get the most.

You are on the money. The rumour on the NASCAR channel was she wanted 300000 a race. Funny..no real pedigree in stock cars and she wants Dale Jr. money...

Every week we hear a new rumour of a contract she is supposed to sign but there never is a contract signed. Whether it be in the IRL or NASCAR. Her management seem to be the masters of putting rumours and trial balloons out. THAT wont fly in NASCAR land if she keeps it up.