PDA

View Full Version : Penske and Will Power plans for 2010

garyshell
9th October 2009, 17:17
In the same story about Sarah's announcments this morning Curt had this pair of tidbits:

Fernandez Racing, which at its zenith employed 52 people for two IndyCar and onehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://www.indystar.com/article/20091009/SPORTS0107/910090348/1004/SPORTS/Another+car/driver++more+races+for+Fisher+s+team+in+2010#) American Le Mans Series program, will participate in its final race this weekend as the ALMS concludes its season in Monterey, Calif.
The team will release the last of its 19 employees Oct. 31 because of a lack of sponsorship. The shop, owned by team co-owner Tom Anderson and his wife, Cheryl, will be leased "with or without the equipment."

"We shook the trees pretty hard for eight months, but we haven't sold anything," Anderson said.

The season-ending Grand Am Series race in Homestead also could have a farewell as Penske Racing is expected to convert its sports (http://www.indystar.com/article/20091009/SPORTS0107/910090348/1004/SPORTS/Another+car/driver++more+races+for+Fisher+s+team+in+2010#) car program to an IndyCar operation for Will Power.

Gary

champcarray
9th October 2009, 19:39
Thanks for spotting that. Good news for Will Power, bad news for a thinning ALMS field...

bblocker68
9th October 2009, 19:58
Cavin said something to the effect that Penske will have 3 cars for next season. Looks like the GrandAm crew will head over to the IndyCar side. I'm sure Bernhard and Dumas will find rides in other sports cars, they're both very fast and experienced. hate to see it dissolve, but I love seeing my favorite driver get a full time ride with a class organization. The is the first time I ever rooted for the Captain :)

Question is: Will Verizon come over to IndyCar??

TURN3
9th October 2009, 20:58
Thanks for spotting that. Good news for Will Power, bad news for a thinning ALMS field...

Correct me if I'm wrong but, it is Penske's Grand Am operation as he left ALMS last year to run Grand Am this year. Sounds like ALMS is hurting for teams but Penske's conversion won't affect them.

Chamoo
10th October 2009, 06:23
Correct me if I'm wrong but, it is Penske's Grand Am operation as he left ALMS last year to run Grand Am this year. Sounds like ALMS is hurting for teams but Penske's conversion won't affect them.

The first post also refers to Adrian Fernandez' team closing shop in the ALMS.

beachgirl
10th October 2009, 12:14
RP's GrandAm crew is experienced in IndyCar too, since they were Will's pit crew this year. I am so happy Will will be running in 2010. I had faith in the Captain - Will is wayyyyy too good to let go!

wedge
10th October 2009, 13:38
Dag

Bad news for ALMS

bravefish
14th October 2009, 10:14
Thats great news to have another very competitive car on the street/road courses. Hopefully he can get his act together on the ovals now.

Wade91
14th October 2009, 16:15
great decision by Rodger,

i think Will has a great future in indycar

anthonyvop
14th October 2009, 17:14
Thinning?
You don't follow the ALMS do you? They just added The Drayson/Aston Martin and Jaguar teams.
The Formula LeMans Class will add at least 5 more cars.

anthonyvop
14th October 2009, 17:15
I'm sure Bernhard and Dumas will find rides in other sports cars, they're both very fast and experienced. hate to see it dissolve,
They are both Porsche factory drivers....they have rides.

SarahFan
14th October 2009, 17:33
did the panske/power full season actually get announced this weekend?

garyshell
14th October 2009, 21:07
did the panske/power full season actually get announced this weekend?

Not that I heard or saw reported anywhere. But then again I am not surprised. I would not expect such an announcement until closer to the opening of next season, for maximum PR effect.

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 23:58
Penske hasn't been in ALMS for a year, but him leaving Grand AM I don't think would have happened if not for the need to try to hang onto Power.

Good for Will, but I would love to see Penske stay in GARRA since they were only there one year. I bet he keeps a hand in it and maybe runs the Daytona 24 hour race as a stand alone for Busch, and the Indy car guys....

Chamoo
15th October 2009, 16:43
If Power ends up in the ICS for 2010 for the full season, I would expect him to be on top of the series points. He is a dominant racer and once he is in dominant equipment, he will be recognized as such.

Anyone who doubted his idea for 2009 of taking a drive he wasn't guarenteed must be thinking he is a genius now. Getting to know Roger Penske and getting in his good books is a very good idea.

garyshell
15th October 2009, 17:14
Anyone who doubted his idea of taking ANY sort of job from Roger, doesn't know much about the sport. If Roger calls and says he wants you to work for him sweeping the garage, you jump at the opportunity.

Gary

champcarray
15th October 2009, 22:19
Sorry for my post above about the ALMS field thinning. My bad. I'll remove my foot from my mouth in just a minute.