PDA

View Full Version : Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Koz
9th October 2009, 14:12
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/09/nobel.peace.prize/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

(CNN) -- President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, a stunning decision that comes just eight months into his presidency.

Less than nine months into his presidency, Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.
1 of 2

The Norwegian Nobel Committee said it honored Obama for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

The president had not been mentioned as among front-runners for the prize, and the roomful of reporters gasped when Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel committee, uttered Obama's name.

The president, who was awakened to be told he had won, said he was humbled to be selected, according to an administration official.

The Nobel committee recognized Obama's efforts to solve complex global problems including working toward a world free of nuclear weapons.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.

Jagland said the decision was "unanimous" and came with ease.

That was... unexpected...

ShiftingGears
9th October 2009, 14:26
Someone out there is struggling to bring freedom to an oppressed country out there, trying to end famine, clearing minefields so that people can walk knowing that their legs will get blown off, actively campaigning for equal rights for women knowing the dangers of doing so...

There are far more worthy candidates than Barack Obama.

chuck34
9th October 2009, 14:27
Mr. Nobel must be spinning in his grave. Take the politics out of the equation and really look at things. What has he DONE? He TALKS a good game I guess, but he hasn't DONE one thing. He could end up being the best Pres. ever, no one knows at this point (I personally doubt it, but who knows?). But he hasn't DONE anything.

The Nobel Peace Prize has just lost a bunch of credibility.

Alexamateo
9th October 2009, 14:46
If I understand correctly, the nomination deadline is February 1. If that is true, He had been president for less than two weeks. The only thing he had really done, was give really inspiring speeches and win an election.

Hey, I'm in sales and feel like selling is a noble profession, but giving the Nobel Peace Prize to Obama at this stage of his career is like giving it to Zig Ziglar for his ability to inspire. Obama is a wonderful and inspiring speaker, but shouldn't we wait for a few years to see what fruits are actually produced by his effort?

I agree with theugsquirrel, surely there is someone out there in the trenches who is much more deserving right now.

chuck34
9th October 2009, 14:46
Here's the real tragedy in all of this.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1929395,00.html

"Compare this to Greg Mortenson, nominated for the prize by some members of Congress, who the bookies gave 20-to-1 odds of winning. Son of a missionary, a former army Medic and mountaineer, he has made it his mission to build schools for girls in places where opium dealers and tribal warlords kill people for trying. His Central Asia Institute has built more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan — a mission which has, along the way, inspired millions of people to view the protection and education of girls as a key to peace and prosperity and progress."

What have we come to?

Brown, Jon Brow
9th October 2009, 14:48
I think it's quite cute

Koz
9th October 2009, 14:54
Maybe next year they can give one to Mr W. Bush.

Koz
9th October 2009, 14:57
If I understand correctly, the nomination deadline is February 1. If that is true, He had been president for less than two weeks. The only thing he had really done, was give really inspiring speeches and win an election.

Absolutely shocking.

Easy Drifter
9th October 2009, 15:20
The Nobel Peace prize has been a bit of a joke for years. Like a giving it to a terrorist, which they have done.
Obama may deserve it in the future but so far he has actually accomplished zip. Yes he has made several excellent speeches but so far there have been no results.

Eki
9th October 2009, 15:50
But he hasn't DONE anything.

Yes he has. He's not George W Bush. Anyone would look good after Bush.

ShiftingGears
9th October 2009, 15:53

Be quiet.

Eki
9th October 2009, 16:09
Be quiet.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/09/president-barack-obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize/

The award appeared to be a slap at President George W. Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for his largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks. The Nobel committee praised Obama's creation of "a new climate in international politics" and said he had returned multilateral diplomacy and institutions like the U.N. to the center of the world stage.

chuck34
9th October 2009, 16:10

Man that's out there, even for you. So if McCain would have been elected, he should have gotten the prize too?

My name's not Bush, don't I deserve a prize?

edv
9th October 2009, 16:13
I'll be grabbing some popcorn and watching FoxNews tonight...

Lousada
9th October 2009, 16:15
Man that's out there, even for you. So if McCain would have been elected, he should have gotten the prize too?

You honestly think this was not a political statement from the nobel committee?

schmenke
9th October 2009, 16:22
...The Nobel Peace Prize has just lost a bunch of credibility.

All Nobel credability was lost on me when Gore was awarded one :mark:

chuck34
9th October 2009, 16:25
You honestly think this was not a political statement from the nobel committee?

It quite clearly was. Does that make it right? Shouldn't the committee be a-political?

chuck34
9th October 2009, 16:26

Either him or Carter. But still ... I think this is even beyond that.

edv
9th October 2009, 16:36

Also seems odd to me that Yassar Arafat won it, yet Mahatma Ghandi never did....

Lousada
9th October 2009, 16:36
It quite clearly was. Does that make it right? Shouldn't the committee be a-political?

It's per definition political because the members are chosen by Norwegian parliament.

wedge
9th October 2009, 16:38
Will Obama have to give the Prize back after he bombs Iran/N. Korea?

Roamy
9th October 2009, 16:38
Shouldn't this thread be under "Joke Time"

Eki
9th October 2009, 16:41
Yes it should, and the UN should serve the whole world equally and not just the US. Things aren't always like they should be.

Koz
9th October 2009, 17:07
This will be even more if rather WHEN Obama rejects it. It'll make him look like a noble hero...

Anyone read the Charlie Sheen interview of this guy?

Easy Drifter
9th October 2009, 17:44
The UN serves the US?
Now I know Eki has been into some really good stuff!!!!!!
Does anyone know if Eki is on the Nobel Peace Prize Committee? He would make a great member with his support of terrorists and dictators.

chuck34
9th October 2009, 18:02
Yes it should, and the UN should serve the whole world equally and not just the US. Things aren't always like they should be.

The UN serves the US? Aren't you the one that rattles on and on about how Kofi Anan said the Iraq war was illegal, etc. That doesn't seem to be very much of "service" to the US. But I guess they can be an example of whatever you want them to at any time you want. Or a model of what not to do whenever you want. Convienient that way aren't they?

But beyond that ... How exactly is Obama more deserving of a Peace Prize than Greg Mortenson, the guy I posted a story about earlier, or any number of other more deserving people? What has Obama done, actually DONE?

Eki
9th October 2009, 18:06
The UN serves the US?

Why aren't Finland and Iran permanent members of the UN Security Council with a veto right? Or at least Germany and Japan? Why is there a Security Council in the first place? Why aren't matters solved in the General Assembly on one country = one vote principle? IMO the UN is a very undemocratic institution that favors the winners of the WW2.

Roamy
9th October 2009, 18:09

The UN is worthless and should be disbanded. The smaller countries of the world can start a Independent Nations organization to represent their interests.

chuck34
9th October 2009, 18:13
Why aren't Finland and Iran permanent members of the UN Security Council with a veto right? Or at least Germany and Japan? Why is there a Security Council in the first place? Why aren't matters solved in the General Assembly on one country = one vote principle? IMO the UN is a very undemocratic institution that favors the winners of the WW2.

So you have absolutely no clue about the history of the organization then. Go read a book.

If you feel like you Finns are not well represented then maybe you the Iranians, Germans, and Japaneese can all go start your own club. You're all welcome in ours, but no one is forcing you to stay, nor are they preventing you from doing your own thing.

chuck34
9th October 2009, 18:17
Anyway Eki, this is not a thread about the UN. Please tell us why you think Obama should have won the Nobel Peace Prize. Other than he's not Bush. 'Cause the way I see that would be that there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 billion, give or take, that would qualify for the Prize. So what makes that non-Bush more special that that other non-Bush?

Eki
9th October 2009, 18:41
So what makes that non-Bush more special that that other non-Bush?
Probably the fact that he's the President of the US, just like Bush was.

chuck34
9th October 2009, 18:45
Probably the fact that he's the President of the US, just like Bush was.

So if being the President of the US is all that it takes to win this Prize, why didn't Bush?

Eki
9th October 2009, 18:56
So if being the President of the US is all that it takes to win this Prize, why didn't Bush?
Because he's Bush. Didn't you get it? Being the President of the US is not all that it takes to win, you also have to be not Bush.

chuck34
9th October 2009, 19:06
Because he's Bush. Didn't you get it? Being the President of the US is not all that it takes to win, you also have to be not Bush.

So then why didn't Clinton win?

Face it you have no logic, only hatred of Bush.

Eki
9th October 2009, 19:48
So then why didn't Clinton win?

Face it you have no logic, only hatred of Bush.
Because Clinton was before Bush, not after him, so they didn't know what it could be like at worst. Like they say - "Siberia will teach you". After that even a small frost feels like a tropical breeze.

chuck34
9th October 2009, 19:52
Because Clinton was before Bush, not after him, so they didn't know what it could be like at worst. Like they say - "Siberia will teach you". After that even a small frost feels like a tropical breeze.

So again, if McCain had won the election he would have won the Nobel Prize as well?

At this point you're just trying to stir up the sh*t. Stop it, and give us all 1 good reason Obama won.

Eki
9th October 2009, 20:47
So again, if McCain had won the election he would have won the Nobel Prize as well?

He didn't, so we will never know.

anthonyvop
9th October 2009, 21:30
Every day more and more people in the US are thinking this!

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/bush-miss-me-yet.jpg

Yet us see....Under Bush Iraq and Afghanistan are free. Libya renounced Terrorism. Egypt held actual elections. Syria has been humbled.

Under Obama????????Oh he wants to being the Taliban back.

Eki
9th October 2009, 23:04
Under Obama????????Oh he wants to being the Taliban back.
That's just because Bush had 8 years to beat them but couldn't do it. Obama maybe realizes that he's not fighting against a regime or a military, but against an ideology, and you can't beat an idealogy with brute force, you have to give the supporters a more attractive alternative.

race aficionado
9th October 2009, 23:25
Good for Obama.
:s mokin:

Now let's move on.

I'm rooting for JPM this weekend.
Let's see if he wins something.

Mark in Oshawa
9th October 2009, 23:37
Let me get this straight. A man gets elected President, based on a few good speeches, white libreal guilt and a definate fatigue factor of an unpopular president and 2 weeks later, someone nominates him for the Nobel Peace Prize based on potential? What kind of drugs does one smoke to do the nomination? I want to know who filled out the nomination papers for putting Obama up for the prize. WHen you find THAT out, you probably have a great story.

AS for the Nobel Commitee, well they can give this prize out, but when you have Arafat as a man of Peace on your rolls, you have zero credibility. I seized giving a damn about who wins this @sskissing exercise a long time ago. Giving one to Gore was pure politics, and so is this. THe nobel isn't for apolitical people like Chuck's suggestion. No...this is a prize for liberals who all can hold hands and feel good about, while nothing happens. Sounds like most liberal solutions. Great in theory, never works in the real world.

As for you Eki, quit hijacking threads for your Anti-Bush crusade, he isn't worthy of a Nobel but he is more worthy than Obama. Hell, Gore's prize made more sense to me than this one...and I didn't agree with that one either.

AAReagles
10th October 2009, 00:20
I'll be grabbing some popcorn and watching FoxNews tonight... :laugh: The tele will experience a meltdown.

... Anyone read the Charlie Sheen interview of this guy?...
Now there's a guy who deserves a Nobel Peace prize, for being able to maintain peace, as well as his sanity while struggling with diplomatic relations with his ex, Denise Richards.

steve_spackman
10th October 2009, 22:07
quote Howard Zinn

I was dismayed when I heard Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize. A shock, really, to think that a president carrying on wars in two countries and launching military action in a third country (Pakistan), would be given a peace prize. But then I recalled that Woodrow Wilson, Theodore Roosevelt and Henry Kissinger had all received Nobel Peace Prizes. The Nobel Committee is famous for its superficial estimates and for its susceptibility to rhetoric and empty gestures, while ignoring blatant violations of world peace.

People should not be given a peace prize on the basis of promises they have made (as with Obama, an eloquent maker of promises) but on the basis of actual accomplishments towards ending war. Obama has continued deadly, inhuman military action in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The Nobel Peace Committee should retire, and turn over its huge funds to some international peace organization which is not awed by stardom and rhetoric, and which has some understanding of history.

Howard Zinn is a historian, playwright and social activist, and has received the Thomas Merton Award, the Eugene V. Debs Award, the Upton Sinclair Award and the Lannan Literary Award. He is perhaps best known for "A People's History of the United States."

Captain VXR
10th October 2009, 22:13
Can I have an Oscar for a film I've thought of but haven't made yet?

steve_spackman
10th October 2009, 22:48
As for you Eki, quit hijacking threads for your Anti-Bush crusade, he isn't worthy of a Nobel but he is more worthy than Obama. Hell, Gore's prize made more sense to me than this one...and I didn't agree with that one either.

Mr Bush is in no way deserving of a Nobel Peace Prize...

donKey jote
10th October 2009, 22:52
Can I have an Oscar for a film I've thought of but haven't made yet?

"Yes you can" :erm: :uhoh: :dozey: :p :

Alexamateo
11th October 2009, 01:40
Obama wants World Peace, Global Cooperation, Nuclear Disarmament, and to combat climate change. If he looks good in a swimsuit and an evening gown, he just might win Miss America too! :p :

steve_spackman
11th October 2009, 03:30
Obama wants World Peace, Global Cooperation, Nuclear Disarmament, and to combat climate change. If he looks good in a swimsuit and an evening gown, he just might win Miss America too! :p :

:rotflmao:

Steve2009
11th October 2009, 04:53
I want to know who filled out the nomination papers for putting Obama up for the prizeI'm not sure if that information is available!
I know that it is their absolute policy not to divulge who the finalists were for fifty years.
So hang in there untill 2059!!! :eek:

At any rate here is my tribute: :s mokin:

R0iGenPD1B4&feature=related

Hondo
11th October 2009, 07:25
I don't see what the big deal is. The Nobel Prize, like most awards, is nothing more than a trendy popularity contest. Obama is trendy. Obama is popular. So unless someone can prove that ACORN had a hand in the election or the Panthers were hanging over the committie member's shoulders, assisting them with their selections, I have no problems with Obama receiving it.

When you consider the vast amounts of money the Nobel family made from explosives, the chemistry thereof, and armaments, you might want to question by what logic do people like that decide to fund, of all things, a Peace Prize? I would suspect the motive is no more genuine than the tobacco companies urging people not to smoke and offering ways to help smokers quit nowadays. If you really believe that strongly, then quit selling tobacco and tobacco products. You can get some stop smoking plans from Phillip-Morris or a pack of Marlboros. You can get a peace prize from Nobel or a really nifty Bofors automatic cannon.

Obama, in person or by representitive, has approached numerous countries with the message of "You are doing some things that concern us and the rest of the world. If you are willing to stop these endeavors, then I'm willing to sit down with you to explore solutions that will benefit all of us." For the most part the man has been laughed at, spanked, and sent on his way. Maybe he hasn't done anything, but he made the offer.

I have no problem with him getting the prize.

Eki
11th October 2009, 13:18
When you consider the vast amounts of money the Nobel family made from explosives, the chemistry thereof, and armaments, you might want to question by what logic do people like that decide to fund, of all things, a Peace Prize?
Just because of that. He had guilty conscious of what he had done. Originally he had meant his explosives for mining industry, not warfare.

Steve2009
11th October 2009, 13:41
Why not just accept this accommodation for whatever you think it is worth!? :confused: :s mokin:

Steve2009
11th October 2009, 14:07
[Brown, Jon Brow http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/aria/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=668450#post668450)
At least we can use quotes in sigs now]

Even more fun to use Youtubes as sigs :)

Malbec
11th October 2009, 14:20

I suspect Eki has a point, the fact that Obama isn't Bush and brings a breath of fresh air into US diplomacy is probably one of the main reasons Obama got the Nobel prize. After all, there isn't much else he can be awarded the prize for is there, he hasn't really achieved anything yet.

Someone else commented that the Nobel prize has degraded itself by awarding prizes to terrorists. I don't see why those who have laid down arms to achieve peace should not be rewarded for their efforts. Nelson Mandela may have tried to blow up a cafe but you can't dismiss his efforts to end Apartheid through peaceful means afterwards.

gloomyDAY
11th October 2009, 19:45
http://i34.tinypic.com/2mwe3no.jpg

steve_spackman
11th October 2009, 22:04
Let me get this straight. A man gets elected President, based on a few good speeches, white libreal guilt and a definate fatigue factor of an unpopular president and 2 weeks later, someone nominates him for the Nobel Peace Prize based on potential? What kind of drugs does one smoke to do the nomination? I want to know who filled out the nomination papers for putting Obama up for the prize. WHen you find THAT out, you probably have a great story.

AS for the Nobel Commitee, well they can give this prize out, but when you have Arafat as a man of Peace on your rolls, you have zero credibility. I seized giving a damn about who wins this @sskissing exercise a long time ago. Giving one to Gore was pure politics, and so is this. THe nobel isn't for apolitical people like Chuck's suggestion. No...this is a prize for liberals who all can hold hands and feel good about, while nothing happens. Sounds like most liberal solutions. Great in theory, never works in the real world.

In all of the other categories, the Nobel Prize is given for a completed work. In literature a book must be finished, in chemistry a reaction must be re-tested and proven beyond doubt, in science a discovery or theory must be proven to hold true again and again. Why has a prize been given for just thinking about a conclusion?

ArrowsFA1
12th October 2009, 14:45
Let me be clear: I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women, and all Americans, want to build - a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes. And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action -- a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Building-a-World-that-Gives-Life-to-the-Promise-of-Our-Founding-Documents/

BDunnell
12th October 2009, 14:56
The decision is rather laughable, isn't it? So too are all the complaints from right-wingers who feel very put-upon at the moment about this being some sort of 'liberal' conspiracy, but the concept of the Nobel prizes is surely about achievement, as it is in other fields. I look forward to receiving next year's Nobel prize for literature on the grounds that I've had a good idea for a novel.

race aficionado
12th October 2009, 15:56
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Building-a-World-that-Gives-Life-to-the-Promise-of-Our-Founding-Documents/

:up: :up: :up:

wedge
12th October 2009, 16:05
In all of the other categories, the Nobel Prize is given for a completed work. In literature a book must be finished, in chemistry a reaction must be re-tested and proven beyond doubt, in science a discovery or theory must be proven to hold true again and again. Why has a prize been given for just thinking about a conclusion?

They gave the Peace Prize to Henry Kissinger yet he advocated secret bombing campaigns during and after peace talks.

Hondo
12th October 2009, 19:30
The decision is rather laughable, isn't it? So too are all the complaints from right-wingers who feel very put-upon at the moment about this being some sort of 'liberal' conspiracy, but the concept of the Nobel prizes is surely about achievement, as it is in other fields. I look forward to receiving next year's Nobel prize for literature on the grounds that I've had a good idea for a novel.

Actually, the Norwegian's handle the Peace Prize, which is what Nobel requested. I think the 5 committee members come from various Norwegian political parties and more often than not have a more liberal outlook. But, thats just the way it happens to be. There is no conspiracy there, just a prize and a million dollar check. It's not like the winner gets made King of the World or God. It's more like being voted "best of show" at a dog show. Sure other mutts can do other things but this is the mutt that won.

BDunnell
12th October 2009, 19:50
Actually, the Norwegian's handle the Peace Prize, which is what Nobel requested. I think the 5 committee members come from various Norwegian political parties and more often than not have a more liberal outlook. But, thats just the way it happens to be.

Yes, the award of the peace prize to Henry Kissinger certainly indicated the liberalism of those involved, didn't it?

anthonyvop
12th October 2009, 22:38
Yes, the award of the peace prize to Henry Kissinger certainly indicated the liberalism of those involved, didn't it?

You are not insinuating that Kissinger was a conservative are you?

steve_spackman
12th October 2009, 22:49
They gave the Peace Prize to Henry Kissinger yet he advocated secret bombing campaigns during and after peace talks.

Oh yes, the Committee saw fit to give a peace prize to Henry Kissinger, because he signed the final agreement ending the war in Vietnam, of which he had been one of the architects. Kissinger, who obsequiously went along with Nixon's expansion of the war with the bombing of peasant villages in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Kissinger, who matches the definition of a war criminal very accurately, was given a peace prize!

Theodore Roosevelt brokered a peace between Japan and Russia. But he was a lover of war, who participated in the US conquest of Cuba, pretending to liberate it from Spain while fastening US chains around that tiny island. And as president he presided over the bloody war to subjugate the Filipinos, even congratulating a US general who had just massacred 600 helpless villagers in the Phillipines. The Committee did not give the Nobel Prize to Mark Twain, who denounced Roosevelt and criticised the war, nor to William James, leader of the anti-imperialist league.

BDunnell
12th October 2009, 23:06
You are not insinuating that Kissinger was a conservative are you?

This was a man who actively advocated some appalling policies while serving two Republican presidents. I would have thought that such a person would be a subject of your typically considered admiration.

Hondo
12th October 2009, 23:31

I suppose I could goggle this but didn't Kissinger's Vietnamese counter-part also get the award? Wasn't that a split award?

I suppose peace or being a man of peace is one terms that leaves a lot of room for individual definition.

chuck34
12th October 2009, 23:56
Theodore Roosevelt brokered a peace between Japan and Russia. But he was a lover of war, who participated in the US conquest of Cuba, pretending to liberate it from Spain while fastening US chains around that tiny island. And as president he presided over the bloody war to subjugate the Filipinos, even congratulating a US general who had just massacred 600 helpless villagers in the Phillipines. The Committee did not give the Nobel Prize to Mark Twain, who denounced Roosevelt and criticised the war, nor to William James, leader of the anti-imperialist league.

You really should read up on T. Roosevelt. He wasn't the blood thirsty guy many histories try to portray him as. I mean really go back and read his own words. Sure it can sound a bit racist at times, but he really did have the best interests of the Cubans and Filipinos at heart.

But I suppose that is a bit outside of this discussion.

wedge
13th October 2009, 00:15
I suppose I could goggle this but didn't Kissinger's Vietnamese counter-part also get the award? Wasn't that a split award?

The Vietnamese counter part refused to accept it. The peace talks and the outcome were a sham.

Hondo
13th October 2009, 05:58
The Vietnamese counter part refused to accept it. The peace talks and the outcome were a sham.

Most are.

anthonyvop
13th October 2009, 06:02
This was a man who actively advocated some appalling policies while serving two Republican presidents. I would have thought that such a person would be a subject of your typically considered admiration.
Kissinger was an appeaser and one of the creators of detente with the Soviets. He also served 2 Presidents who were in know way conservative.

Roamy
13th October 2009, 06:53
Who give a rat's ass about a award that a couple of Moose Herders have previously given to Gore, Arifat, and the weasel Carter. These guys didn't want to miss hunting season again so they just gave the award out again.

Garry Walker
13th October 2009, 07:58
Laughable, completely laughable. But not that unexpected.

Rather shocking isnt it.

Indeed, it is quite tiring reading his idiotic ramblings about Bush all the time

Storm
14th October 2009, 08:07
So you get Nobel awards for not doing anything (yet) and just because you are president of the USA and say a few well meaning things?

Hondo
14th October 2009, 09:00
So you get Nobel awards for not doing anything (yet) and just because you are president of the USA and say a few well meaning things?

No, as has always been the case, you get the award because 5 people in Norway decide to give it to you.

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 14:59

Or did he not consider doing his bit for the dear leader as part of his patriotic duty and he wanted no part in a bourgeous capitalist sham?

The Nobel prize is given a lot more ink than it deserves. THe more I learn about how it is picked, the more I realize it is Norway's joke on the world.....

Roamy
14th October 2009, 18:09
BREAKING NEWS: This just in...!!! Obama wins the Heisman Trophy after
watching a college football game.

Hondo
14th October 2009, 22:35

I knew he could do it.

AAReagles
14th October 2009, 22:36
:eek: My God! He's done it! He's come full circle of modern awards.

And on the seventh day, he rested.

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 23:45
If he wants to impress me, let him win the Hart trophy in the NHL.....

race aficionado
15th October 2009, 00:03
I don't mind if president Barack Obama won the frign' Nobel Peace Prize.
They gave it to him - What's the fuss?
Why do so many just find this a reason to get all agitated and riled up? Thousand of fellow human beings are dying of hunger as I type. Now THAT is a frign' reason to get all agitated and riled up.

What a bunch of whiners!

geeesh!!

Mark in Oshawa
15th October 2009, 00:43
I don't mind if president Barack Obama won the frign' Nobel Peace Prize.
They gave it to him - What's the fuss?
Why do so many just find this a reason to get all agitated and riled up? Thousand of fellow human beings are dying of hunger as I type. Now THAT is a frign' reason to get all agitated and riled up.

What a bunch of whiners!

geeesh!!

If it is no big deal, explain to me why someone in the US nominated this prize, which used to be a big deal for Obama, when he had been in office for 2 weeks!!!! Someone obviously thinks it is a big deal. Obama's ego wont let him decline it.

The prize should be and near as I can figure used to be given to people who promoted and did things, sometimes couraageously in the face of oppression to promote a more peaceful world. The Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, Dag Hammerskold being 3 notables. Now it is given out for "future work"?

Sad dropping of standards. As I said above, it would be like giving Jack Nicholson an Oscar for a movie he hasn't made yet, and hasn't even been cast in a role for.

race aficionado
15th October 2009, 01:10
If it is no big deal, explain to me why someone in the US nominated this prize, which used to be a big deal for Obama, when he had been in office for 2 weeks!!!! Someone obviously thinks it is a big deal. Obama's ego wont let him decline it.

The prize should be and near as I can figure used to be given to people who promoted and did things, sometimes couraageously in the face of oppression to promote a more peaceful world. The Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, Dag Hammerskold being 3 notables. Now it is given out for "future work"?

Sad dropping of standards. As I said above, it would be like giving Jack Nicholson an Oscar for a movie he hasn't made yet, and hasn't even been cast in a role for.

Mark.
I'd quote what Arrows posted a couple of pages ago where you can read what president Obama said when accepting the honor but why repeat what was already said?

It is not about not accepting it because of his alleged "big ego".
The fact is that they gave it to him and he accepted it on his countries' behalf and recognizing that he knew that others deserved it more than him.

You can conspire and come up with any type of scenarios as to why they gave it to him but the bottom line is that our new president, Barack Obama, has brought in a totally new approach towards world peace, he is opening doors that some would like to keep closed and is bringing hope to many of us that believe that we can get out of this big mess we are all in - one that the Nobel prize "givers' deemed worthy of recognizing.

I'm sure - and thank God - that there are many other worthy candidates out there talking the talk and walking the walk when it comes to achieving world peace.

Bottom line, this is not about the prize, it is about doing the job that needs to be done and I personally think that my president is one of those doing it so.

Let's move on.

peace Mark

race

Steve2009
15th October 2009, 01:21
Mark.
I'd quote what Arrows posted a couple of pages ago where you can read what president Obama said when accepting the honor but why repeat what was already said?

It is not about not accepting it because of his alleged "big ego".
The fact is that they gave it to him and he accepted it on his countries' behalf and recognizing that he knew that others deserved it more than him.

You can conspire and come up with any type of scenarios as to why they gave it to him but the bottom line is that our new president, Barack Obama, has brought in a totally new approach towards world peace, he is opening doors that some would like to keep closed and is bringing hope to many of us that believe that we can get out of this big mess we are all in - one that the Nobel prize "givers' deemed worthy of recognizing.

I'm sure - and thank God - that there are many other worthy candidates out there talking the talk and walking the walk when it comes to achieving world peace.

Bottom line, this is not about the prize, it is about doing the job that needs to be done and I personally think that my president is one of those doing it so.

Let's move on.

peace Mark

race
Very eloquently put!
Peace my man! :up:

Rudy Tamasz
15th October 2009, 07:46
Remember Al Gore's prize? I sense a trend here. I guess pretty much every American top politician with leftist views has a chance to get it.

Garry Walker
15th October 2009, 11:13
Remember Al Gore's prize? I sense a trend here. I guess pretty much every American top politician with leftist views has a chance to get it.
Seems so.
Next thing they will be giving it to Al Sharpton.

Rudy Tamasz
15th October 2009, 12:42
I also bothered to do some basic research and found Jimmy Carter on that list, too.

BDunnell
15th October 2009, 13:05

I'm surprised you haven't suggested that Silvio Berlusconi is awarded it, given your admiration for him.

anthonyvop
15th October 2009, 13:56
The prize should be and near as I can figure used to be given to people who promoted and did things, sometimes couraageously in the face of oppression to promote a more peaceful world. The Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, Dag Hammerskold being 3 notables.

The Dali Lama? Courageous?

Ha. All he does is fly around in a private jet meeting with celebrities while his people suffer and die.

wedge
15th October 2009, 14:45

Ha. All he does is fly around in a private jet meeting with celebrities while his people suffer and die.

Would help if wasn't in exile

You don't think him spreading the message of peace & love isn't as effective?

AAReagles
15th October 2009, 17:10
Seems so.
Next thing they will be giving it to Al Sharpton. :laugh:

anthonyvop
15th October 2009, 18:55
Would help if wasn't in exile

You don't think him spreading the message of peace & love isn't as effective?
Nope!

What has Peace and Love done for the people of Tibet?

BDunnell
15th October 2009, 18:58

The Dali Lama? Is he the surrealist spiritual leader of Tibet?

Tomi
15th October 2009, 20:17

lol, funny

ShiftingGears
15th October 2009, 23:39

Ha!

Roamy
16th October 2009, 06:42
I'm surprised you haven't suggested that Silvio Berlusconi is awarded it, given your admiration for him.

I vote for him - anyone who drives around in ferraris and pounds 18 yr olds is definitely into "Piece" I mean Peace !

Oh christ what have I said - Daniel will be reporting me to the "don't hurt the children police"

AAReagles
16th October 2009, 19:31
Nope!

What has Peace and Love done for the people of Tibet?

New wardrobe inside a Chinese prison. If they were lucky... I suppose...

steve_spackman
16th October 2009, 23:52
http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=15636

The Nobel Committee's tradition is long and inglorious, but for the well-informed no surprise. Consider its past honorees:
-- Henry Kissinger;

-- Shimon Peres;

-- Yitzhak Rabin;

-- Menachem Begin;

-- FW de Klerk;

-- Al Gore;

-- The Dalai Lama, a covert CIA asset;

-- Kofi Annan, a reliable imperial war supporter;

-- UN Peacekeeping (Paramilitary) Forces that foster more conflicts than they resolve;

-- Elie Wiesel, a hawkish Islamophobe;

-- Norman Borlaug, whose "green revolution" wheat strains killed millions;

-- Medecins Sans Frontieres, co-founded by rabid war hawk Bernard Kouchner, now France's Minister of Foreign and European Affairs;

-- Woodrow Wilson who broke his pledge to keep "us out of war,"

-- Jimmy Carter who backed an array of tyrants and drew the Soviets into its Afghan quagmire that took a million or more lives;

-- George C. Marshall, instrumental in creating NATO and waging war against North Korea;

-- Theodore Roosevelt who once said "I should welcome almost any war, for I think this country needs one;" and other undeserving winners...."War is peace," what Orwell understood and why the award legitimizes wars and the leaders who wage them.

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=15622

Granting the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama provides legitimacy to the illegal practices of war, to the military occupation of foreign lands, to the relentless killings of civilians in the name of "democracy".

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=15622

AAReagles
17th October 2009, 00:09
:up: Excellent post as I was unaware of its' honorees.

Wasn't Yasser Arafat a recipient as well?

anthonyvop
17th October 2009, 03:38
The Dalai Lama, a covert CIA asset
With all due respect.....That is the dumbest thing I have read here since you posted that video blaming 9/11 on the US government.

-- George C. Marshall, instrumental in creating NATO and waging war against North Korea;

And what was so bad about that? In case you have forgotten it was North Korea who invaded the south.

You forgot such winners as:
Algore: Has made millions of his lie

Rigoberta Menchú: Entire life is a lie

International Atomic Energy Agency: Supporter of Terrorist nations

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: Anti-Business, Anti- Freedom organization.

Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev: Last leader of a regime that has killed more people than any other entity in the history of man......100 million +

BDunnell
17th October 2009, 13:00
And what was so bad about that? In case you have forgotten it was North Korea who invaded the south.

The rest of your post is, typically, bonkers right-wing nut-job nonsense for the most part, but I agree with you about Marshall. His contribution to the security of post-war Europe was significant, at a time when it would have been easy for the US to just walk away.

AAReagles
17th October 2009, 19:50
With all due respect.....That is the dumbest thing I have read here since you posted that video blaming 9/11 on the US government...

I think he did however make a good point with:

Granting the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama provides legitimacy to the illegal practices of war, to the military occupation of foreign lands, to the relentless killings of civilians in the name of "democracy".

And....

Yes, I agree with going after Saddam & Bin Laden]The rest of your post is, typically, bonkers right-wing nut-job nonsense for the most part, but... [/QUOTE] :laugh: :up: Please, don't restrict your words. Tell us how you really feel.

Not laughing at the agitation involved, just your expression; reminds me of myself describing non-conformists (such as the young & healthy ones who refuse to get a job).

Anyways back to topic... Yeah I agree about Marshal with what you mentioned already.

Mark in Oshawa
18th October 2009, 17:37

Tony..what is he supposed to do? Go back to China and get gunned down while his supporters get a bill for the bullet? You really are out on the limb on this one. The Dalai Lama is the poster boy for peaceful resistance, which the last time I looked was what the Left is all gung ho for. IN his case, it is the right path since getting killed and martyred by the butchers of Beijjing would be a waste. He is the guy reminding the world who the exactly the Chinese REALLY are.....

I thought you were a bit smarter than that Tony.

Mark in Oshawa
18th October 2009, 17:41

I said Silvio was a slimeball at least 2 times Ben. I just demanded you prove in some form your accuasations of his criminal deeds, or at least show me where someone has a story in the press where there is enough smoke to see the fire. I also pointed out part of the reason people hate him so much is because Italy despite his creepy personality is a better country now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. Maybe the guy is doing something right, albeit being a right winger you hate his guts on principle since they are all just crooks right?

Obama was given this prize for things he hasn't done, which is just as wrong as accusing and convicting someone of misdeeds not proven. Both are wrong....but you only see it as intentions being all that is required...

Thought crime I believe Orwell called it....

BDunnell
18th October 2009, 17:56
Obama was given this prize for things he hasn't done, which is just as wrong as accusing and convicting someone of misdeeds not proven.

I'm sorry, but that's pompous nonsense based once again on your own political bias.

AAReagles
26th October 2009, 21:15
I'm sorry, but that's pompous nonsense based once again on your own political bias.

Well then, is it not possible that there's a hidden (European) agenda for Obama to receiving the prize ? Not necessarily any particular obvious interests at the moment (that we know of anyways), but for later perhaps?

Eki
26th October 2009, 21:46
Obama was given this prize for things he hasn't done, which is just as wrong as accusing and convicting someone of misdeeds not proven. Both are wrong....but you only see it as intentions being all that is required...

Do you also think that shortened prison sentences because of good behaviour are wrong? They are rewarded for not doing anything bad during their sentences.

AAReagles
26th October 2009, 22:10
What in Heaven's name are you talking about?

Prisoners are released early due to good behavior only on the conditions that they comply with what is demanded of them; obey all commands and rules. Which is what they’re suppose to do anyways.

Mark In Oshawa’s point was about how the hollowed foundations of an award was prematurely presented to someone who has yet to accomplish much, as compared to those who have spent more time and dedication to their respective causes.

Eki
26th October 2009, 22:12
What in Heaven's name are you talking about?

Obama hasn't invaded anyone (yet), unlike his predecessor. That's good behaviour.

AAReagles
26th October 2009, 22:16
Give him time. He is American.

Translation: This country's corporate powers that run this country, are not inclined to give up their majestic (profitable) imperialism for the sake of any humanity.

AAReagles
16th November 2009, 02:51
Here's the real tragedy in all of this.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1929395,00.html

"Compare this to Greg Mortenson, nominated for the prize by some members of Congress, who the bookies gave 20-to-1 odds of winning. Son of a missionary, a former army Medic and mountaineer, he has made it his mission to build schools for girls in places where opium dealers and tribal warlords kill people for trying. His Central Asia Institute has built more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan — a mission which has, along the way, inspired millions of people to view the protection and education of girls as a key to peace and prosperity and progress."...

:up: Good example of what a Nobel should be intended for.

Here's another of worthy mention, Somaly Mam:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1894410_1894289_1894268,00.html

'....12-year-old Mam was sold into sexual slavery by a man who posed as her grandfather. She eventually ended up in a Phnom Penh brothel, beginning a decade of horrific rape and torture. She describes this period of her life simply: "I was dead. I had no affection for anyone."

Terror is the weapon of choice for those who hold women in sexual bondage. They depend on their victims' being frozen with fear. Traffickers hope that with enough pain and degradation, women will simply accept their fate as inescapable.

But Mam was able to escape. With the help of an aid worker from France, she fled Cambodia in 1993.

The fact that she escaped makes her unique, but what makes her truly extraordinary is that she went back. While, understandably, most people would spend the rest of their lives quietly recovering from their wounds, Mam decided to confront the system that continues to victimize Cambodian girls.

In 1996, Mam created a nonprofit organization called AFESIP (Agir pour les Femmes en Situation Précaire, or Acting for Women in Distressing Circumstances) that works with local law enforcement to raid brothels and reintegrate the trafficked women into society. It is estimated that between 1.2 million and 2 million people are currently being held as sex slaves around the world. Mam, now 38 or 39 (she does not know her birthday), has established a model for addressing this issue and has already helped more than 4,000 women escape the brothels.
She has paid a terrible personal price for doing so, enduring death threats and assaults. In an effort to deter her work, brothel owners even kidnapped, drugged and raped Mam's then 14-year-old daughter in 2006.

Most people would have walked away. Mam continues to fight back so that others can be spared the pain she once suffered.'

Roamy
16th November 2009, 15:50

Yes he should get one - He loves people especially 18 yr old girls!!
Course the may have to change it to the Nobel Piece Award

Mark in Oshawa
21st November 2009, 03:27
Obama hasn't invaded anyone (yet), unlike his predecessor. That's good behaviour.

So when the Russians come over the border, you want Obama to stick to his guns and let Finland be over run?

Roamy
21st November 2009, 06:19
So when the Russians come over the border, you want Obama to stick to his guns and let Finland be over run?

EKI is a communist why would he care - he would house and feed them!!

Eki
21st November 2009, 08:23
"When"? I'd say "if". And he'd do it anyways, just like his predecessors let Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania to be run over during and after WW2 and didn't do much in 1939 when the Soviets invaded Finland and Finland pleaded for help.

Eki
21st November 2009, 08:25
EKI is a communist why would he care - he would house and feed them!!
Even if I were a communist, most of the Russians aren't.

Camelopard
21st November 2009, 13:10

You know that this has about as much chance of happening as I have of winning the Lottery.

Finland may be over run by the Russians, but it will be by the Russian mafia and oligarchs and their ill gotten gains. It will not be by the Russian military which couldn't even scratch it's self to save it's self at the moment.

This take over will be ok coz the billionaires and the mafia have earned their money by fair and legal means, just like our friend Madoff! ho hum....

Eki
21st November 2009, 15:03
You know that this has about as much chance of happening as I have of winning the Lottery.

Finland may be over run by the Russians, but it will be by the Russian mafia and oligarchs and their ill gotten gains. It will not be by the Russian military which couldn't even scratch it's self to save it's self at the moment.

This take over will be ok coz the billionaires and the mafia have earned their money by fair and legal means, just like our friend Madoff! ho hum....

That's true. Rich Russians have been buying land and property in Finland, and there have been discussions on the media whether Russians should be allowed to buy land in Finland or not. I think Finns may only rent land and property in Russia.

Mark in Oshawa
21st November 2009, 15:43
"When"? I'd say "if". And he'd do it anyways, just like his predecessors let Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania to be run over during and after WW2 and didn't do much in 1939 when the Soviets invaded Finland and Finland pleaded for help.

As per usual, most of you missed the point. The point is, If The Russians invaded Finland (unlikely but it did happen once as we all know. and the Finn's did fight them off), the whole world would look at the US immediately and expect them to do something about it.

Being the US becomes a constant target. If a small underdog nation with a democracy is overrun, the US is expected to do something about it. If it DOES do something, it is termed as interfering by other critics. Eki has always been highly critical of the US for their Iraq adventure, but the point has always been that the US was an isolationist power for most of its history for the most part. They stood out of the most moral war in history for almost 2 and a half years before being pushed into it by the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor and Hitler declaring war against them. The Americans are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Should they involve themselves in any police actions or wars? Eki would argue no, I would argue stupidity in this world will continue on no matter what the US does. At least tho with the Americans, The motives of the people of the country are ones I can more or less understand and agree with. When Iraq invaded Kuwait, only an idiot would argue Hussein was going to give the Kuwaití's a better life.

If Venezuela goes to war with Colombia tomorrow, I have little or no faith that Chavez's motives are anything good. Just as I would condemn the Colombians invading Venezuela. However, the Americans would get involved if Venezuela did invade at some level, and Eki would condemn them for it, and I wouldn't. As with most arguments on here, it all comes down to who do you really trust. And despite Eki's naive assumptions, I suspect if he was actually confronted with being on the receiving end of the regimes he routinely supports, there would be a part of him that would hope to be rescued from it, even if it was the evil Americans. So if the Russians invade, he better hope the Finn's get some form of assistance from the West and US in particular.

As for the invasion of the Baltic nations in the 40's and the West doing nothing, he condemns the UK and US for NOT stopping the Russians...but gee...isn't that what I am pointing out? Damned if you do...damned if you don't.

Eki
21st November 2009, 17:22
When Iraq invaded Kuwait, only an idiot would argue Hussein was going to give the Kuwaití's a better life..
In 2003 Iraq hadn't invaded anyone but were minding their own business with one if not both hands tied behind their backs.

As for the invasion of the Baltic nations in the 40's and the West doing nothing, he condemns the UK and US for NOT stopping the Russians...but gee...isn't that what I am pointing out? Damned if you do...damned if you don't.
I didn't say they should have done something, I just pointed out that they didn't as a precedent from history when you seemed to believe the US would help Finland in case of a Russian invasion and I don't.

Roamy
21st November 2009, 18:53
Well we would probably help you but only after they put YOU in Stalag 13 :)

Eki
21st November 2009, 21:56
Well we would probably help you but only after they put YOU in Stalag 13 :)
Stalag 13 was in Germany (Hollywood), CA, not in Russia, Europe.

Mark in Oshawa
21st November 2009, 22:23
In 2003 Iraq hadn't invaded anyone but were minding their own business with one if not both hands tied behind their backs. . Iraq refused to comply with sanctions made by the UN and were enforceable by member states of that body as their conditions of their cease fire in 1991. Iraq was not some damsel tripping through a field of daisy's attacked by the big bad wolf. We have gone down this road before Eki and you just refuse to admit Hussein was a thug, a killer and playing a game of poker against someone not willing to buy his bluff. Iraq is better off without him.

I didn't say they should have done something, I just pointed out that they didn't as a precedent from history when you seemed to believe the US would help Finland in case of a Russian invasion and I don't.

Oh right...so if they shouldn't do something when a country invades another, then don't be one of these internationalists who insist the US should be involved in what goes down in places like Darfur, Somalia or wherever, then complain when they get involved directly with their military to change things on the ground.

In the VERY unlikely event Finland was invaded by the Russians, I suspect the US would find a way to aid Finland somehow, either covertly or directly. It is of course the reason most of the Eastern Bloc nations joined NATO about 10 minutes after they shed the yokes of Communism. THey unlike you know who the greater threat is to their survivial. You going to tell someone in Prague or Warsaw the US is a greater threat to the world than Russia? You can try, but they KNOW who they had to spend 3 generations trying to rid themselves of.

American aint perfect, but they are not and never HAVE been the threat to the world's safety you always like to claim.

Mark in Oshawa
21st November 2009, 22:27
Lets just put this another way Eki. Whether it is Bush or Obama, No one in Canada nor Mexico is worried about invasion from the US. Ask the Chinese why they put a lot of troops on their border with Russian and ask people in nations such as Poland or the Ukraine how much they trust the Russians. Ask the Georgians. Maybe you in Finland should be wary......although The Russians seem to be more concerned with sublte covert ways of undermining a nation rather than driving in the tanks. We saw how well THAT went in 1980 don't we?

Eki
21st November 2009, 22:34
It is of course the reason most of the Eastern Bloc nations joined NATO about 10 minutes after they shed the yokes of Communism.
They were just desperate, just like some abused desperate divorcees are eager to shack up with anyone who wants them so that they won't end up being alone.

Mark in Oshawa
21st November 2009, 22:35
They were just desperate, just like some abused desperate divorcees are eager to shack up with anyone who wants them so that they won't end up being alone.

You as usual don't have a rational counterpoint do you? When you have no facts..it is best to just move on Eki....

Eki
21st November 2009, 22:51
You as usual don't have a rational counterpoint do you? When you have no facts..it is best to just move on Eki....
I think I know my neighbors better than you do, Mark.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd November 2009, 11:04
I think I know my neighbors better than you do, Mark.

That's right Eki...you know all about the Eastern bloc nations. You are Eki, judge of judge's, man of men. Your argument's usually are empty when you just take shots.....

janvanvurpa
23rd November 2009, 00:03
American aint perfect, but they are not and never HAVE been the threat to the world's safety you always like to claim.

Clearly you have forgotten about M.A.D. and the trillions spent, and millions killed by the US or by our proxies to 'contain' Communism.
If you understand nothing else, understand that your statement is only valid from the side on which you stand.

Your 'America can do no wrong' belief blinds you to the realities of the post WWII world for many on 'the other side' and makes you say absurd things.

Come on try thinking a bit...

Roamy
23rd November 2009, 05:06
Clearly you have forgotten about M.A.D. and the trillions spent, and millions killed by the US or by our proxies to 'contain' Communism.
If you understand nothing else, understand that your statement is only valid from the side on which you stand.

Your 'America can do no wrong' belief blinds you to the realities of the post WWII world for many on 'the other side' and makes you say absurd things.

Come on try thinking a bit...

Hey cool - does this mean we are no longer "your" country??

janvanvurpa
23rd November 2009, 06:15
Hey cool - does this mean we are no longer "your" country??

You've never been in "my" country. Even when you lived up here.

And as for your good buddy Vop, well it's obvious he knows nothing about this country's values and traditions. At least he has an excuse coming from a culture we can only politely describe as Authoritarian/Totalitarian.

Roamy
23rd November 2009, 06:40
So you must be referring to the "Left" country.

Eki
10th December 2009, 05:52
Obama learnt from the "bowgate". Now he's too proud to have lunch with the Norwegian King after recieving the prize. Norwegians are pissed off.

Hondo
10th December 2009, 06:19

Actually, this sounds accurate to me, objectively speaking. They had to snuggle up to something for protection, including protection from each other.

Hondo
10th December 2009, 06:23
Obama learnt from the "bowgate". Now he's too proud to have lunch with the Norwegian King after recieving the prize. Norwegians are pissed off.

They ought to wait until he gets there and then give the prize to Pino for his moderation peacekeeping.

At least Obama has agreed to come inside to receive it instead of using the drive-thru window.