PDA

View Full Version : New Sporty Toyota?

Captain VXR
6th October 2009, 20:36
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/10/06/new-cars-gt-gt-toyota-ft86-concept.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage
http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Jacco%20Willemsen/News/FT86%20Concept/SHFT864.jpg
http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Jacco%20Willemsen/News/FT86%20Concept/SHFT861.jpg
Hopefully, if it is made, it will be proper wheel drive and not fwd/4wd and a return to good, sporty Toyotas of old

Robinho
6th October 2009, 20:49
it is rear wheel drive, 2.0l sports car, joint venture with Subaru (known as the "Toyobaru" and should go head to head with Hondas new CRX

harvick#1
6th October 2009, 21:14
I see the map in the steering wheel the car is at Fuji Speedway :laugh:

the exterior looks cool, but the interior is rubbish, hate the future styles of these cars, what happened to keeping it simple, but elegant

Jag_Warrior
6th October 2009, 21:32
Turbo?

The last Celica wasn't a bad car. But being a FWD with that 1.8 N.A. didn't give it enough oomph! So it became what its predecessor (eventually) became: a "secretary's car".

I'd like to see them fit the Suby 2.5 liter, turbo flat 4 in it and tune it to at least 275 horspepower. Truly, I'd like to see another Toyota like the Celica All-Trac (GT4 in Europe?) from the early 90's. Until then, I'll stick with the WRX or look at an Evo.

jimakos
6th October 2009, 21:38
Looks great thanks for the information :)

tannat
6th October 2009, 22:47
Looks like a sharpened Ferrari 456....

Rollo
6th October 2009, 23:56
Hopefully, if it is made, it will be proper wheel drive and not fwd/4wd and a return to good, sporty Toyotas of old

Not a 4wd? So in your opinion the Celica GT-Four was an abject failure?

wedge
7th October 2009, 00:20
Turbo?

The last Celica wasn't a bad car. But being a FWD with that 1.8 N.A. didn't give it enough oomph! So it became what its predecessor (eventually) became: a "secretary's car".

Decent car. Too bad they didn't make an effort to take on the Integra Type R

gloomyDAY
7th October 2009, 01:20
Too bad that this car has been around since the early 2000's.

http://www.mazdapedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/mazda-rx8-exterior.jpg

These French designers probably surrendered and decided to copy Mazda.

leopard
7th October 2009, 10:18
hehe this might be prototype of RX-8 which is used to confirm and verify consumer interest in a proposed design whereas other newer model will attempt to verify the performance or suitability of a specific design approach.

The new RX-8 have its performance in tie or close to fairlady, for some reason the mazda looks enticing more. These two cars I have no choice, they are all great.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th October 2009, 10:56
It looks alright but if I had one every time I looked at the badge on the steering wheel it would remind me that I was driving a Toyota. Not what I need.

Daniel
7th October 2009, 11:43
Turbo?

I'd like to see them fit the Suby 2.5 liter, turbo flat 4 in it and tune it to at least 275 horspepower. Truly, I'd like to see another Toyota like the Celica All-Trac (GT4 in Europe?) from the early 90's. Until then, I'll stick with the WRX or look at an Evo.

The 2 litre Subaru engine is a much better engine than the 2.5 so i hope they stick with the 2 litre engine. Subaru easily gets near on 300 horsies out of the 2l turbo and it's also lighter of course.

I'd love to see if being 4wd as well and being another GT4. The GT4 was the only Toyota I've ever really liked.

Captain VXR
7th October 2009, 17:40
Not a 4wd? So in your opinion the Celica GT-Four was an abject failure?

No of course it wasn't, I just prefer rwd cars

wedge
8th October 2009, 11:47
It's named FT-86

successor to the AE-86! I hear ricers rejoicing!

MrJan
8th October 2009, 12:37
It looks alright but if I had one every time I looked at the badge on the steering wheel it would remind me that I was driving a Toyota. Not what I need.

Oi!!! :p :

I'm most shocked by Jag's comment about getting 275bhp from 2.5l, don't Subaru get in excess of that from their 2l boxer?

Daniel
8th October 2009, 14:21

I'm most shocked by Jag's comment about getting 275bhp from 2.5l, don't Subaru get in excess of that from their 2l boxer?
Remember this is a non-turbo.

MrJan
8th October 2009, 14:28
Remember this is a non-turbo.

Makes it slightly better then but generally, only IMO of course, most things above 2.0l with only a 4 pot is pissing in the wind, far better to whack a V6 in it and listen to the thing sing :D :D

Jag_Warrior
8th October 2009, 16:45

Yeah, I'm talking about the turbo versions.

The 2.0 liter EJ205 engine, in the WRX sold here through 2005, made 227 hp. You can (safely) tune them to make well over 300hp (Stage 3). I've heard of radical tunes going to 500hp+, but we're talking about fully worked (virtual) race engines. I believe the 2.0 liter JDM EJ207 is tuned to just shy of 300hp stock - I'm not sure. Mine is an EJ205 and doesn't have a radical tune (Stage 2), and makes 280-290hp, according to the shop.

The 2.5 liter EJ255/EJ257's... I haven't really kept up with. But I believe the turbo version of that engine is now in the Baja(?), Legacy, Impreza GT, WRX and the STI. I don't know anything about Bajas and Legacys, but in the WRX the 2.5 is tuned to 265hp, and in the STI it's tuned (built) to 300hp+ for North America. AFAIK, no Subaru is currently sold in North America with the EJ205/207 (2.0 liter) turbo. Maybe Toyota could/would use it? I dunno.

If Toyota went with any of the Subie turbo 4 engines, the hp figures would depend on how they chose to build and tune it. The biggest advantage that the 2.5's have over similarly tuned 2.0's is torque.

Reaching back in time, I believe the Celica All-Trac (GT 4) that was sold here in the early 90's made 205 horsepower (advertised). I ended up with a Celica GTS, but really wanted the All-Trac (my insurance agent did not agree :p ). The All-Trac, for the time, was a little monster of a car. I'd like to see Toyota come back with something along those lines for an ultra sport version of the concept above. And yeah, with that, AWD, 300+ hp... whatever.

MrJan
8th October 2009, 17:06
We must have different models over here, I'm fairly sure that the normal 2.0 Impreza is fairly close to the Evo which puts out circa 300 brake. Might just be schoolboy figures though, not something I pay too much attention to as we all know that most manufacturer figures are pie in the sky :)

Robinho
8th October 2009, 20:04
We must have different models over here, I'm fairly sure that the normal 2.0 Impreza is fairly close to the Evo which puts out circa 300 brake. Might just be schoolboy figures though, not something I pay too much attention to as we all know that most manufacturer figures are pie in the sky :)

no suh thing as a standard 2.0l UK impreza these days, have been 2.5l for a few years now - in factory STI tune your looking at Circa 300hp, the base wrx is something closer to 250 i believe. the Japanese model still uses a 2.0l and is considered a better engine in many respects

Daniel
8th October 2009, 20:06
Yeah, I'm talking about the turbo versions.

The 2.0 liter EJ205 engine, in the WRX sold here through 2005, made 227 hp. You can (safely) tune them to make well over 300hp (Stage 3). I've heard of radical tunes going to 500hp+, but we're talking about fully worked (virtual) race engines. I believe the 2.0 liter JDM EJ207 is tuned to just shy of 300hp stock - I'm not sure. Mine is an EJ205 and doesn't have a radical tune (Stage 2), and makes 280-290hp, according to the shop.

The 2.5 liter EJ255/EJ257's... I haven't really kept up with. But I believe the turbo version of that engine is now in the Baja(?), Legacy, Impreza GT, WRX and the STI. I don't know anything about Bajas and Legacys, but in the WRX the 2.5 is tuned to 265hp, and in the STI it's tuned (built) to 300hp+ for North America. AFAIK, no Subaru is currently sold in North America with the EJ205/207 (2.0 liter) turbo. Maybe Toyota could/would use it? I dunno.

If Toyota went with any of the Subie turbo 4 engines, the hp figures would depend on how they chose to build and tune it. The biggest advantage that the 2.5's have over similarly tuned 2.0's is torque.

Reaching back in time, I believe the Celica All-Trac (GT 4) that was sold here in the early 90's made 205 horsepower (advertised). I ended up with a Celica GTS, but really wanted the All-Trac (my insurance agent did not agree :p ). The All-Trac, for the time, was a little monster of a car. I'd like to see Toyota come back with something along those lines for an ultra sport version of the concept above. And yeah, with that, AWD, 300+ hp... whatever.

I think that Subaru have canned the turbo EJ20's for all but STI's made for homologation. Caroline's Subaru has an EJ20G in it I think which is the first of the EJ20 turbo's. It only gives 200 horsies though :(

Daniel
8th October 2009, 20:08
no suh thing as a standard 2.0l UK impreza these days, have been 2.5l for a few years now - in factory STI tune your looking at Circa 300hp, the base wrx is something closer to 250 i believe. the Japanese model still uses a 2.0l and is considered a better engine in many respects
That's what I said :p

Rollo
8th October 2009, 23:49
It's named FT-86

successor to the AE-86! I hear ricers rejoicing!

In name only.

The AE-86 was specifically...
A - the engine code being either a 3A or 4A
E - model, which is the Corolla
86 - being the sixth revision of the E80

Logically it follows that the current successor if it was rear wheel drive would be:

ZE-155
Z - the engine code which would likely be a 3ZR
E - model, which is the Corolla
155 - being the fifth revision of the current E150

Mark in Oshawa
10th October 2009, 01:23
It looks too much like the Hyundai Genesis coupe....but that said, a good loooking car on the outside, not sure I like the inside.

Rollo
23rd October 2009, 00:40
Am I the only person in the world to have noticed that the Lexus LFA is pretty much in the same design spirit as the Toyota FT-86?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/lexuslfalive_lead.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/toyotaft86live_01_opta.jpg

I can't help but think that one has influenced the other. Considering that both Toyota and Lexus are both Toyota Motor Corporation marques, is this possible, or am I clutching at straws?

(PS: I am fully aware of Scooby-Doo's effort in all of this.)