PDA

View Full Version : Outside chance of NBC/Verses deal?

MDS
1st October 2009, 15:28
There have been numerous reports of Comcast buying some or all of NBC Universal. The rumors in the trade publications have gotten loud enough now that main stream media sources have begun picking up on the story. If Comcast were to buy NBC it could open up a massive window for the IRL to crawl through.

Versus has invested (Some would say over-invested) in the Indy Car Series, but in order to grow the network it must also grow the profile of the the ICS. If Comcast were to buy NBC it would certainly open the window for NBC to take over from ABC as the broadcast network of choice for the Indy 500 and the rest of the season.

The theory is that if NBC were to brodcast 7-10 races (Because outside of football and golf they have no sunday sports programing since NASCAR left) they could cross promote between verses and the IRL, showing qualifying on Verses while promoting the races on NBC and then NBC promoting the verses races and qualifying. These negotations have been gone on for the better part of a year, and probably explains why Versus paid to get the IRL.

If this were to happen, it could save the IRL from oblivion.

SarahFan
1st October 2009, 15:44
that's a big "IF" stretch armstrong.....

but here's hopin'

Chamoo
1st October 2009, 19:47
The more I think of this, the more I think it's a possibility.

One of the selling points by Versus when trying to attract the IRL might had included 'off-the-record' talks where Versus higher ups had mentioned that they are looking at buying NBC?

If Comcast ended up buying NBC, it would open up a whole new world to the IRL. I would assume Versus would play the role ESPN does for ABC, where sporting events would be billed as "Versus on NBC", thus advertising the Versus channel, as well as getting the major sporting events on NBC.

I have thought that IRL would be good for NBC, and NBC would be good for the IRL. It would also give the IRL the option to cross promote it's drivers on various NBC programs like SNL and day time talk shows.

If this happens, the IRL will have gained a massive amount of support from NBC/Versus. Perhaps the IRL brass will be seen as making a very good choice?

NickFalzone
1st October 2009, 20:21
If Comcast buys NBC, then there's a realistic possibility. But the articles I've seen today suggest that they are far from a deal, and Comcast is denying they're even interested right now.

Chamoo
1st October 2009, 20:29
If Comcast buys NBC, then there's a realistic possibility. But the articles I've seen today suggest that they are far from a deal, and Comcast is denying they're even interested right now.

Well to be fair, Toyota has been denying they are leaving F1, and let's see how that turns out.

I think it's probably just company policy to deny until it's official. That might mean nothing is happening, or it could mean everything is happening.

MDS
1st October 2009, 21:34

Standard Operating Proceedure

garyshell
1st October 2009, 21:35

Standard Operating Proceedure

Called due diligence.

Gary

disko
3rd October 2009, 00:56
i still cant get vs on direct tv......

peasant
3rd October 2009, 06:18
It'd would probably be the best thing that could happen as far as TV goes, problem is I can't see how it will ever prosper while the cars are both spec, ugly and slow, and the series is associated with TG, The IMS and the IRL. Remember american openwheel doesn't need to grow new fans to grow and prosper, but start regaining the masses of old ones. I can't see how it's current set up can do that,especially given the monumental bad will.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd October 2009, 16:41
It'd would probably be the best thing that could happen as far as TV goes, problem is I can't see how it will ever prosper while the cars are both spec, ugly and slow, and the series is associated with TG, The IMS and the IRL. Remember american openwheel doesn't need to grow new fans to grow and prosper, but start regaining the masses of old ones. I can't see how it's current set up can do that,especially given the monumental bad will.

IN a very crude way, you may be right. The smell of the IRL's previous management, the smoke from the war with Champ Car, and the millions of fans that used to watch not being there has put this series in a hole.

The solutions all cost money, and they cannot generate much of that with this current TV contract. IF VS ends up in a deal with NBC through Comcast buying NBC (a very good possiblity, GE is bleeding red ink and Jeffrey Immelt has put the machine off the road, selling off NBC could happen..)then the IRL may catch a break. Big may there tho.....

chuck34
6th October 2009, 13:33

This is probably going to be cruel. So forgive me in advance, or not, whatever. And please forgive the rant.

But the way I see it YOU, and people like you, are a very big part of the problem. You, and people like you, have let the WAR be your life. Now that the war is over you can't enjoy the very thing that you have claimed to love all these years (if you look at it objectively, the current IRL is almost exaclty the same type of racing as CART was in the 90's).

But you, and people like you, only want to b!tch and moan about something. For you, and people like you, there is no longer a sport called Indy car racing, or for that matter CART or ChampCar. It's only the war. That's it. You, and people like you, CAN NOT see anything else except WAR.

Tony George is an @ss, so everything around him is crap. Anything he's ever touched is tainted. I bet you, and people like you, probably won't even buy Clabber Girl Baking Soda (or powder?).

You, and people like you, say things like: Spec racing is horrible. Why would anyone ever have a spec series? No one will ever be interested in spec racing? How will you ever attract sponsors with spec racing? How will you ever attract manufacturers with spec racing? And on, and on. All the while forgetting that you, and people like you, thought that spec racing was the greatest idea ever and that it would save the sport back when ChampCar did it.

And it goes on. It is all about the WAR. It is no longer about the SPORT.

Any you, and people like you, go out there on message boards, and talking to your friends etc. spewing all this stuff. It just turns people off. The casual fans must think to themselves, "Man, this guy is a fan and he doesn't even like the series. Why would I watch it?"

So it is YOU, and people like you, those that claim to be fans of the SPORT but are really only fans of the WAR that are doing their part, maybe just as big a part as TG and the IRL managment, to drive fans away.

So either **** and enjoy the racing, as you claim you are a fan. Or **** and just go away.

Just my 2 cents worth, and I'm sure you think I'm wrong. Frankly I don't care.

Mark in Oshawa
6th October 2009, 15:15
Tell us how you really feel Chuck....

Actually, I have always enjoyed the war when it was there to be fought, since the whole reason it started was stupidity, but we should be past that now for sure.

SarahFan
6th October 2009, 15:16

Actually, I have always enjoyed the war when it was there to be fought, since the whole reason it started was stupidity, but we should be past that now for sure.

we may be past the war.... but the fallout is still being felt....2010 is going to be rough

chuck34
6th October 2009, 23:17

You think we should be past that now. Others CAN NOT get past it for many and varied reasons known only to them. But do you deny that there are those still out there fighting it?

chuck34
6th October 2009, 23:18
we may be past the war.... but the fallout is still being felt....2010 is going to be rough

You probably don't see it, but you keep feeding the WAR mentality. Especially with your ratings posts.

I know, I know, you post them without comment / Never said anything bad about them. Aren't you an angel.

garyshell
6th October 2009, 23:22
You think we should be past that now. Others CAN NOT get past it for many and varied reasons known only to them. But do you deny that there are those still out there fighting it?

Sure there are all those "Japanese soldiers in caves" who didn't get the word that the war was over, so they battle on.

Gary

chuck34
6th October 2009, 23:42
Sure there are all those "Japanese soldiers in caves" who didn't get the word that the war was over, so they battle on.

Gary

Yeah, but I'm thinking these "cave dewellers" are more effective.

But that's just my hair-brained idea, and it's probably wrong. Perhaps I'm projecting (Ken's favorite word, do you think he got a psych. book for his b-day or something?) my frustrations, but all the bashing the IRL takes on the boards, etc. is really starting to bring me down. And when I, a racing nut especially open wheel, am thinking about not looking at the internet stuff anymore because of it ... Well there's a problem. And if I'm thinking about "tuning out" (at least to a degree) what do you think the more casual fan is doing?

Look at Danica Fan. For as unreasonable as he was about Danica, at least he had passion. Isn't that what being a fan is all about? I gave the guy my share of ribbings, but some went "over the top". That drove him away from here. I hope not the sport.

It's sort of the same with me and this board. I've always been a fan of Indy first, and open wheel second. I've never minded the road/street stuff too much, but ovals are my thing. I watched just as many CART/ChampCar races as I have IRL races. But my heart has always been with the IRL because of Indy. I guess having said that, my loyalties shade my judgment a bit, but who's don't? Anyway, I'm thinking about not comming here because of all the bashing the series gets. I'm tired of it. I'm tired of defending the leauge to people who wouldn't care if the leauge started handing them money. I'm tired of it. If I'm tired of it, how do the "casual fans" not get tired of it. They might have watched a few races, heard about this place (or many others like it), saw the bashing the IRL took from "fans of the sport", and said to heck with this, the fans don't even like it, I've go better things to do with my time.

Maybe you all are right and we're just rearranging chairs on the Titanic. But I don't think so, and I don't think I'm alone. So if you are going to come here claiming to be a fan, be a fan. Critisism is fine, but what many are doing is just bashing. It's clear that some are not now, nor ever have been fans of the IRL. And even though the IRL is now pretty much what they claim to love, they won't allow themselves to see anything good in it. It, the IRL, must die so that CART can rise from the ashes. But some are too myopic to see that that is what has happened ... exactly ... right down to the spec chassis (Dallara/Lola,Panoz), spec engine (Honda/Ford,Mazda), non-existent street courses (Rio?/Ansan,etc), and pack racing (Texas/Hanford tracks).

So maybe, just maybe, I'm talking myself into it. After all theres always a 10 hour NASCAR marathon of boredom every Sunday that I could devote more time and energy to. Goooooooooo, Juuuuuuuniorrrrrr! Right, isn't that the thing?

SarahFan
7th October 2009, 00:09
You probably don't see it, but you keep feeding the WAR mentality. Especially with your ratings posts.

I know, I know, you post them without comment / Never said anything bad about them. Aren't you an angel.

Call it whatever you like.... Even take a few personal shots ...no biggie to me....

But some of us seem to be a bit more realistic about the state of things......

The first step in recovery is admitting there is a problem.....

chuck34
7th October 2009, 00:54
The first step in recovery is admitting there is a problem.....

The IRL did that when they found a new TV partner, and you've done nothing but bash that decision from day one. Perhaps it is you that needs to admit there is a problem.

SarahFan
7th October 2009, 00:59
The IRL did that when they found a new TV partner, and you've done nothing but bash that decision from day one. Perhaps it is you that needs to admit there is a problem.

you are really missing the big picture...

Enjoy the race this weekend.... The championship batttle should be exciting

Jag_Warrior
7th October 2009, 01:23
Look at Danica Fan. For as unreasonable as he was about Danica, at least he had passion. Isn't that what being a fan is all about? I gave the guy my share of ribbings, but some went "over the top". That drove him away from here. I hope not the sport.

Speaking of DanicaFan, I found his brother from another mother at the Speed Forums. Only his name is Danica@Ferrari. Nice fellow. Passionate fan. Equally delusional about The Danica (Danica buys a Ferrari? OK - but Danica AT Ferrari?! Come on now!!!)... but people like them are the type of fans that the sport needs. Just like NASCAR has the Earnhardt fans, the IRL needs this type of fan(atics) too.

chuck34
7th October 2009, 13:34
you are really missing the big picture...

Am I now? Explain it to me then.

Enjoy the race this weekend.... The championship batttle should be exciting

I will. You too.

SarahFan
7th October 2009, 14:14
the TV deal isnt the problem..... its a direct result of the problem

beachbum
7th October 2009, 14:17
Tell us how you really feel Chuck....Yeah, just how do you feel? Perhaps you had one too many cups of coffee.......

BUT.

I agree with you. The war is over, but some are still fighting the battles. It seems like some who once posted on their own insular forum have now wandered into other racing forums to spread their hate (even they admit it is hate). Some of the more infamous catch phases and insults are now showing up everywhere.. Their goal is to destroy the IRL. I can't understand why a real race fan would desire that, but most of the war never made sense anyway.

There is a reason many of the "old timers" on some of these forums have stopped posting. A handful of posters who never have anything good to say about anything seem to dominate. Instead of long threads on the recent testing at Homestead and Indy, we get negative threads on ratings, TG's home, and "ugly" cars. Very "uplifting".

The war is over in reality, but still alive in the minds of some disgruntled race "fans" who can't handle reality. Some just want to go back to a past that never was.

SarahFan
7th October 2009, 15:35
Yeah, just how do you feel? Perhaps you had one too many cups of coffee.......

BUT.

I agree with you. The war is over, but some are still fighting the battles. It seems like some who once posted on their own insular forum have now wandered into other racing forums to spread their hate (even they admit it is hate). Some of the more infamous catch phases and insults are now showing up everywhere.. Their goal is to destroy the IRL. I can't understand why a real race fan would desire that, but most of the war never made sense anyway.

There is a reason many of the "old timers" on some of these forums have stopped posting. A handful of posters who never have anything good to say about anything seem to dominate. Instead of long threads on the recent testing at Homestead and Indy, we get negative threads on ratings, TG's home, and "ugly" cars. Very "uplifting".

The war is over in reality, but still alive in the minds of some disgruntled race "fans" who can't handle reality. Some just want to go back to a past that never was.

answer me this....

do you not find it frustrating that after outlasting CART/CCWS and haveing a 'merger' under the IRL banner that current (recently past) ownership/leadership seems hellbent on following the Biz model of the side that failed... twice!

NickFalzone
7th October 2009, 18:12
answer me this....

do you not find it frustrating that after outlasting CART/CCWS and haveing a 'merger' under the IRL banner that current (recently past) ownership/leadership seems hellbent on following the Biz model of the side that failed... twice!

Ken, I don't agree with a lot of the choices they've made, tv package, adding streets and roads, foreign races, etc. but I think the assumption was that the SPLIT was why the Biz model failed that side twice, and with unification, that biz model has a better chance at succeeding. It seems like that assumption was wrong, but we're only realizing that now, it takes quite a while for these things to play out. And some would actually say that it has not played out, and still has a chance for succeeding. That's where the disagreement comes in, that you're kind of the boy who cried wolf. Eventually you may be right, and there's been some wolf sightings by others, but right now it still isn't in the camp attacking everyone. The direction this series is going is definitely questionable, and debatable, but a lot of people do not like know-it-alls, especially when it's not possible to know-it-all unless you actually work inside the organization. Short of hard facts, which this debate is somewhat short on, we're in the realm of opinion, and opinions presented as facts are annoying.

SarahFan
7th October 2009, 18:30
Ken, I don't agree with a lot of the choices they've made, tv package, adding streets and roads, foreign races, etc. but I think the assumption was that the SPLIT was why the Biz model failed that side twice, and with unification, that biz model has a better chance at succeeding. It seems like that assumption was wrong, but we're only realizing that now, it takes quite a while for these things to play out. And some would actually say that it has not played out, and still has a chance for succeeding. That's where the disagreement comes in, that you're kind of the boy who cried wolf. Eventually you may be right, and there's been some wolf sightings by others, but right now it still isn't in the camp attacking everyone. The direction this series is going is definitely questionable, and debatable, but a lot of people do not like know-it-alls, especially when it's not possible to know-it-all unless you actually work inside the organization. Short of hard facts, which this debate is somewhat short on, we're in the realm of opinion, and opinions presented as facts are annoying.

well heres a fact(s)

Cart/CCWS failed twice

the current IRL biz model more closely resembles them than the vision

here we are

MDS
7th October 2009, 20:37
Ken,

Basically you can make the argument that every open wheel model tried in America has failed. CART failed, Champ Car failed, and since the IRL hasn't turned a profit in 13 years, it too has failed.

That said, I believe CART only failed because it had to endure the longest strike in the history of sports. I believe the CART model of 24-28 cars, a fairly open rulebook and a diverse slate of tracks with some international stops can be successful, but only with the Indy 500 as a crown jewel and a strong broadcast partner with multi-platform support.

As it is now asking $7 million from a sponsor with these kinds of ratings is just not going to work. The IRL needs one of the big four to push it, hopefully this deal will go through and it will become "Versus on NBC," if not, I think its the endgame.

Maybe if the IRL doesn't make it into next year it might not be such a bad thing. Maybe after this war scaring and driving off fans four/five years worth of rest, new ownership and new energy is the only thing that will save the league. Look what the new Star Trek film did for the franchise. Maybe its time AOWR goes away until people forget about all the bad.

garyshell
7th October 2009, 20:41
If it dies, AOWR is dead, kaput, gone. There will be no resurrection. Who in their right mind would attempt a startup in the face of the France family mafia? Nope. That ain't happenin'.

Gary

Jag_Warrior
8th October 2009, 03:32
Look what the new Star Trek film did for the franchise. Maybe its time AOWR goes away until people forget about all the bad.

I agree with the overall sentiments in your post, MDS. But with the Star Trek example, something that has had a solid, devoted, near fanatical fanbase for decades was just made MORE popular with the latest movie. I don't think the Star Trek franchise has been in any real trouble since the late 60's/early 70's, has it? If the IRL had more fans that were like the Trekkies (or DanicaFan :D ), even NASCAR Sprint Cup would be worried about the IRL right now. As it is, Grand Am and the IRL seem to be drawing similar TV numbers right now.

I don't think Comcast taking an interest in NBC would hurt the IRL. But I'm not sure that it would lead to much more than Comcast having a stronger hand in its battle with DirecTV. Unless the Indy 500 went to NBC as well, I can't see why they'd bend over backwards to get IRL races on network under the same deal that Versus made. NBC Universal owns the (newly revamped) SyFy channel. And the shows there either sink or swim on their own. If a show isn't making it on SyFy (or SciFi), they don't switch it to NBC primetime. So I don't know about that. But I agree, I can't see anything about this rumored deal being bad for the IRL.

Chamoo
8th October 2009, 05:27
If it dies, AOWR is dead, kaput, gone. There will be no resurrection. Who in their right mind would attempt a startup in the face of the France family mafia? Nope. That ain't happenin'.

Gary

The France Family Mafia might?

beachbum
8th October 2009, 12:12
answer me this....

well heres a fact(s)

Cart/CCWS failed twice

here we areYes, here we are. But the whole "argument" centers on the assumption (not fact) that the business models are the same. We have learned from bankruptcy files and other facts that the failed series hemorrhaged money so severely they couldn't even pay their bills. There is no evidence the IRL is even close to that situation. All reports indicate it remains solvent.

The last failed series forced the teams to buy all new equipment at a time the teams were facing financial problems. The IRL has postponed new equipment as they indicate it isn't economically viable at this time.

The last series used a primary sponsorship concept of the drivers being the main sponsors. Bring bucks - get ride. At least most of the IRL teams have real sponsors.

The failed series did very little to support the teams. The IRL has used the TEAM money in place of prize money to spread the support around to help the smaller teams.

The IRL has INDY.

The failed series bought TV time on networks like Spike or in limited time slots where they often got preempted or had to cut races short. The IRL is getting paid for the TV coverage and we get more than we ever did.

Does the racing "look" a lot like the early CART with a diversity of tracks? Yup. Is the series facing serious financial and marketing issues? Yup, and so is every other racing series today. Is the IRL the same business as the failed series? IHMO, no. It may have a similar competition model but that is a different topic.

But don't worry about facts. They just cloud opinion. Trash talking apparently is more fun, so fire away.

SarahFan
8th October 2009, 16:28
Yes, here we are. But the whole "argument" centers on the assumption (not fact) that the business models are the same. We have learned from bankruptcy files and other facts that the failed series hemorrhaged money so severely they couldn't even pay their bills. There is no evidence the IRL is even close to that situation. All reports indicate it remains solvent.

The last failed series forced the teams to buy all new equipment at a time the teams were facing financial problems. The IRL has postponed new equipment as they indicate it isn't economically viable at this time.

The last series used a primary sponsorship concept of the drivers being the main sponsors. Bring bucks - get ride. At least most of the IRL teams have real sponsors.

The failed series did very little to support the teams. The IRL has used the TEAM money in place of prize money to spread the support around to help the smaller teams.

The IRL has INDY.

The failed series bought TV time on networks like Spike or in limited time slots where they often got preempted or had to cut races short. The IRL is getting paid for the TV coverage and we get more than we ever did.

Does the racing "look" a lot like the early CART with a diversity of tracks? Yup. Is the series facing serious financial and marketing issues? Yup, and so is every other racing series today. Is the IRL the same business as the failed series? IHMO, no. It may have a similar competition model but that is a different topic.

But don't worry about facts. They just cloud opinion. Trash talking apparently is more fun, so fire away.

thats a long post that boils down to

the IRL has I500... the rest, not so different

well i have news for you..... the others died without it.... and the IRL is dyeing with it....

*and to you last line..... the IrL runs a commercial during race weekends that encourages fans to go to there website and join the forum to 'talk some smack'......oh the irony

garyshell
8th October 2009, 16:36
thats a long post that boils down to

the IRL has I500... the rest, not so different

Really? That's all you saw in that post? And you accuse others of not seeing the big picture.

Nevermind the bit about sponsors versus ride buyers. Nevermind the bit about TEAM money. Nevermind the bit about TV buy versus being paid for TV coverage. Nevermind the bit about paying the bills. Nevermind the bit about postponing the new equipment intro in the light of teams facing financial the same economic crisis the rest of us. Yep, you're right the ONLY difference was the IRL has Indy. ...shakes head...

Gary

SarahFan
8th October 2009, 16:49
Really? That's all you saw in that post? And you accuse others of not seeing the big picture.

Nevermind the bit about sponsors versus ride buyers. Nevermind the bit about TEAM money. Nevermind the bit about TV buy versus being paid for TV coverage. Nevermind the bit about paying the bills. Nevermind the bit about postponing the new equipment intro in the light of teams facing financial the same economic crisis the rest of us. Yep, you're right the ONLY difference was the IRL has Indy. ...shakes head...

Gary

come on gary..... there are ridebuyers in the current indycar.... there were more sponsors in CART (maybe not so many in the CCWS)....time buy or a few mil, still the lowest ratings in AOWR history provideing zero ROI for teams ....the reynards, like the current honda/dallara had run it's run its coarse....the current 'spec' is a symptom of the problem certainly not a solution

yet ignored is the systematic drop in ovals.... chaseing foriegn venues when domestic that want them are being ignored....zero promotion of the league and its personalities.......talkin terry over promiseing and underdeleivering at every turn..... seeking a title sponsor for the dollars rather than activation.....

do I really need to go on

give a me a list of actual tangible reasons the biz surrounding the sport will improve in 2010?

I'll start..

Tony is no longer in charge

anybody else want to add anything...how about you gary

garyshell
8th October 2009, 20:49
come on gary..... there are ridebuyers in the current indycar.... there were more sponsors in CART (maybe not so many in the CCWS)....time buy or a few mil, still the lowest ratings in AOWR history provideing zero ROI for teams ....the reynards, like the current honda/dallara had run it's run its coarse....the current 'spec' is a symptom of the problem certainly not a solution

yet ignored is the systematic drop in ovals.... chaseing foriegn venues when domestic that want them are being ignored....zero promotion of the league and its personalities.......talkin terry over promiseing and underdeleivering at every turn..... seeking a title sponsor for the dollars rather than activation.....

do I really need to go on

give a me a list of actual tangible reasons the biz surrounding the sport will improve in 2010?

I'll start..

Tony is no longer in charge

anybody else want to add anything...how about you gary

All of that is irrelevant to my question to you regarding the dismissive way you replied to beachbum's post. You said that message came down to just the fact that the IRL had Indy. Clearly there were a lot more facts in beachbum's message than that. I asked if all you saw was the part about Indy and wonder why you ignored those other facts. I continue to ask that question. I won't participate in you lame attempt to divert.

This discussion was about the business models and your assertion that they were the same. When someone else posted to discuss that, you brushed them off dismissing all they said. When asked why you did that, you want to divert and talk about what's wrong with the IRL.

Gary

Blancvino
8th October 2009, 20:53
But that's just my hair-brained idea, and it's probably wrong. Perhaps I'm projecting (Ken's favorite word, do you think he got a psych. book for his b-day or something?) my frustrations, but all the bashing the IRL takes on the boards, etc. is really starting to bring me down. And when I, a racing nut especially open wheel, am thinking about not looking at the internet stuff anymore because of it ... Well there's a problem. And if I'm thinking about "tuning out" (at least to a degree) what do you think the more casual fan is doing?

Is the board bringing you down or in the back of your mind you realize the series may be deep sixing?

The guy/gal made a lot of [fill in the blank] statements - I think he dove himself off.

It's sort of the same with me and this board. I've always been a fan of Indy first, and open wheel second. I've never minded the road/street stuff too much, but ovals are my thing. I watched just as many CART/ChampCar races as I have IRL races. But my heart has always been with the IRL because of Indy. I guess having said that, my loyalties shade my judgment a bit, but who's don't? Anyway, I'm thinking about not comming here because of all the bashing the series gets. I'm tired of it. I'm tired of defending the leauge to people who wouldn't care if the leauge started handing them money. I'm tired of it. If I'm tired of it, how do the "casual fans" not get tired of it. They might have watched a few races, heard about this place (or many others like it), saw the bashing the IRL took from "fans of the sport", and said to heck with this, the fans don't even like it, I've go better things to do with my time.

I got a lot of this for defending Champcar to the end ... not too different now. Thicken up your skin and watch the stuff fly as things get worse.

Maybe you all are right and we're just rearranging chairs on the Titanic. But I don't think so, and I don't think I'm alone. So if you are going to come here claiming to be a fan, be a fan. Critisism is fine, but what many are doing is just bashing. It's clear that some are not now, nor ever have been fans of the IRL. And even though the IRL is now pretty much what they claim to love, they won't allow themselves to see anything good in it. It, the IRL, must die so that CART can rise from the ashes. But some are too myopic to see that that is what has happened ... exactly ... right down to the spec chassis (Dallara/Lola,Panoz), spec engine (Honda/Ford,Mazda), non-existent street courses (Rio?/Ansan,etc), and pack racing (Texas/Hanford tracks).

All I can say is I am done with the Indianapolis 500 and the never was a fan of the IRL. What comes next seems to me to be a dubious continuation of the series, long term.

Better plan for life after IndyCar.

chuck34
8th October 2009, 21:08
All I can say is I am done with the Indianapolis 500 and the never was a fan of the IRL.

That statement pretty much says it all. You are still fighting the WAR.

You are not a fan, never have been, by your own admission. Yet you still post here. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that you are a WARRIOR, not a fan. That's all I need to know about you.

nigelred5
8th October 2009, 21:13
well heres a fact(s)

Cart/CCWS failed twice

here we are

Some would argue that the "Vision" failed long before CART/CCWS, as evidenced by the IRL's transformation into CART v.2. TG simply had more money to carry a faulty product longer.

SarahFan
8th October 2009, 22:11
G..... Didn't ignore any of it..... Simply don't see any of that as being signifacantly different

beachbum
8th October 2009, 22:39
All of that is irrelevant to my question to you regarding the dismissive way you replied to beachbum's post. You said that message came down to just the fact that the IRL had Indy. Clearly there were a lot more facts in beachbum's message than that. I asked if all you saw was the part about Indy and wonder why you ignored those other facts. I continue to ask that question. I won't participate in you lame attempt to divert.

This discussion was about the business models and your assertion that they were the same. When someone else posted to discuss that, you brushed them off dismissing all they said. When asked why you did that, you want to divert and talk about what's wrong with the IRL.

GaryGary, there are many forums on the internet that are overrun with people who have just one credential - the ability to type, and often badly. As you accurately point out, there seems to be little desire to discuss facts and logical deductions based on what is known. Instead, it is an opportunity to attempt to force a singular viewpoint by attacking all who disagree and dismissing any "inconvenient" accepted facts.

There is one response to this that seems to be gaining momentum in this forum and others. Just ignoring the poster or putting them on the ignore list.

SarahFan
8th October 2009, 23:09
Oh now come on beach ..... Do you honestly deepdown believe you made a resonanable argument

besides the i500 none of what you presented is all that different ..... Not to mention all you conveniently ignored

*and the ignore feature is only a click away .... Feel free to use it

SportscarBruce
11th October 2009, 00:01
Some random thoughts on the topic;

Dick Ebersol, the current head honcho of NBC Sports, was part of ABC Sports during the heyday of Indy Car on ABC. Among the curent crop of sports broadcasting executives he's a stand-up guy among weasels. So, given the opportunity I feel he has both the capability and motovation to take Indy Car back up the public recognition ladder.

OTOH one can't underestimate NASCAR's influence within Madison Ave's sports marketing infrastructure. Due to established relationships, both personal and financial, they have the leverage to sabotage or infiltrate every network's move to promote a competitor series. For example, take CNBC's NASCAR biz promo series "Refuelling the Business of NASCAR". It's just incredible how blindly skewed and unobjective this TV show really is. The realize NASCAR's leverage also extends into print and cyber media. So, just as Versus has found out, NBC will be fighting an uphill battle against entrenched interest.

Then there's the negative perception web troops as addressed earlier. Sometimes I wonder if some of these self-described fan posters are taking a check under the table! If so it's money well spend.

In all I'ld like to see NBC take over IndyCar and give it a national major network platform. Based on the product and NBC sports management I believe such a project has potential, however there's so much working against it behind the scene I doubt it'll ever happen.

SoCalPVguy
13th October 2009, 17:30
Quoting stick/ball sports radio host Colin Cowherd yesterday, discussing ESPN....

"Versus does the best job covering their sports, but nobody can find it.... it's about visibility... getting themaximum exposure..."

Indaycar must get out of the versus contract at any cpots and et on a network people can actually get, even at the cost of a poorer in-race broadcast... it's aboutthenuber or eyeballs available to watch

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 00:30
Yes, here we are. But the whole "argument" centers on the assumption (not fact) that the business models are the same. We have learned from bankruptcy files and other facts that the failed series hemorrhaged money so severely they couldn't even pay their bills. There is no evidence the IRL is even close to that situation. All reports indicate it remains solvent..

All reports? Since the IRL is a private company owned by the Hulman family, you have NO CLUE of how many millions the George/Hulman cabal have lost. CART didn't really start to lose money until they built a business model without the Indy 500 and spent money like crazy searching for a way to kill George's fledgling IRL off. If ABC didn't back Tony, they likely would have done so.

The last failed series forced the teams to buy all new equipment at a time the teams were facing financial problems. The IRL has postponed new equipment as they indicate it isn't economically viable at this time..

The supply of Lola's and Reynards was finite, and the chassis were becoming wore out. New Cars were not a luxury, they were a necessity. Also grasp all OW forumlas are flaying around trying to get cars to race closer together and be less aero dependent. We saw how much attention the IRL has paid attention to that this year with that parade at Richmond.

The last series used a primary sponsorship concept of the drivers being the main sponsors. Bring bucks - get ride. At least most of the IRL teams have real sponsors..

Really? In the early days of the IRL, they didn't. The Indy 500 was/is the holygrail in the eyes of advertisers and the reason why Penske ended up going back and Ganassi ended up going back. It wasn't for Tony's personality....

The IRL has INDY..

Champ Car and CART did too. It is the reason CART went broke, and while Champ Car didn't give much away, any one only has to look at the desparate deals done to keep 18 cars on the grid has to guess KK was doing some financial assistance. The IRL was subsidizing poorer teams. THAT says to me while it is noble, it is a failed business model, just like CART tossing money around like crazy was a bad plan.

The failed series bought TV time on networks like Spike or in limited time slots where they often got preempted or had to cut races short. The IRL is getting paid for the TV coverage and we get more than we ever did..

The racing doesn't look like CART at all. Sorry, I saw better racing in CART than I have in the IRL. The car is the problem. It isn't that I want to bash the IRL, for there is a lot good I could say about it. An emphasis on growing sponsors for the teams and using their TV more effectively is a plus the IRL has over the old CCWS BUT lets still grasp the reality that the ABC/ESPN support the IRL never lost, even in the first 3 years with no name drivers and 3rd rate equipment and THAT is the key that helped them stay alive, keep the Indy 500 alive and eventually get Roger Penske and Chip Ganassi back in the fold. The problem they now face however is the series has been stagnant. When the merger happened, THAT is when changes to the rules and chassis maybe should have been looked at. Start opening up the field to new ideas, new cars, and new competition. No spec series really thrives without some innovation.

Now..lol..getting back to the topic? VS does a great job...but man do they need to find away on to more TV's. Right now....the IRL is trapped....

MDS
15th October 2009, 04:50
I'm in the advertising industry and I'm hearing more and more about a deal between Comcast and NBC. Apparently talks of a Comcast buyout were wrong, but there seems to be some significant talk of a merger, or joint project of some sort where the two would work together on their sports properties.

If a deal happens, and I'm hearing some kind of arrangement is becoming more and more likely, then look for NBC and Versus to work together to co-promote the series and the network and for NBC to pick up the Indy 500 from ABC when their contract runs out at the end of 2010/11(?). This would allow them to cross-promote the IRL with the next two Olympics, give Versus access to NFL games and a Superbowl, which would raise the profile of the channel and would start the migration of the casual fan in that direction.

I believe there is a good chance that a deal will happen now based on what I've heard out of New York, and for the first time since the merger I'm hopeful about the future of the IRL.

Here's the Wall Street Journal's take on an NBC/Comcast deal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052748704882404574463712075917016.html

Or they might be buying Vivendi's stake and gain access that way
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2009/10/french-media-company-vivendi-mum-on-possible-nbc-universal-sale.html

Chamoo
15th October 2009, 16:45
I'm in the advertising industry and I'm hearing more and more about a deal between Comcast and NBC. Apparently talks of a Comcast buyout were wrong, but there seems to be some significant talk of a merger, or joint project of some sort where the two would work together on their sports properties.

If a deal happens, and I'm hearing some kind of arrangement is becoming more and more likely, then look for NBC and Versus to work together to co-promote the series and the network and for NBC to pick up the Indy 500 from ABC when their contract runs out at the end of 2010/11(?). This would allow them to cross-promote the IRL with the next two Olympics, give Versus access to NFL games and a Superbowl, which would raise the profile of the channel and would start the migration of the casual fan in that direction.

I believe there is a good chance that a deal will happen now based on what I've heard out of New York, and for the first time since the merger I'm hopeful about the future of the IRL.

Here's the Wall Street Journal's take on an NBC/Comcast deal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052748704882404574463712075917016.html

Or they might be buying Vivendi's stake and gain access that way
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2009/10/french-media-company-vivendi-mum-on-possible-nbc-universal-sale.html

On top of that, NBC and Versus both show NHL hockey as well in the USA so they would be able to cross promote that as well. Is this the groundwork for Versus on NBC much like ESPN on ABC? If so, thank the good lord.

MDS
17th October 2009, 16:58
There continues to be more positive news along the NBC/Comcast front. I'm starting to believe this deal is going to happen and its going to be made public during late November early December when Vivendi has an opportunity to divest its shares, and that seems to be what the deal is hinging on.

One of the things that all the experts are saying is that it would be good Comcast can take some of the content it's developed and bring that to NBC, and I can't believe that wouldn't include ICS races.

The deal seems to hinge on Vevindi selling their stake, and they've not been interested in the past, but they could use the cash and the Comcast offer is very rich.

While everything I've read would suggest that Comcast would clean house, undo Leno's new deal and bring some of its programing from its cable networks to NBC in order to cross promote and I can't imagine a deal that wouldn't include moving some of the IRL races to NBC, given Comcast's massive investment in the series.

The TV schedule for next year isn't out, and I have to wonder if one reason why isn't this deal. I wouldn't be surprised if ABC keeps Indy, Toronto, Watkins Glen, Iowa, and NBC grabs Long Beach, Edmonton, St. Pete, and maybe Brazil with the rest of schedule on Versus. If this happens it could save the league.

Jeff Immelt is now talking about a 49/51 percent deal with Comcast being the majority shareholder.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-nbc17-2009oct17,0,2005013.story

Liberty Media has dropped out, meaning their won't be a bidding war:
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091016-712807.html

Newscorp is interested, but would probably run afoul of regulators.
http://losangeles.bizjournals.com/losangeles/stories/2009/10/12/daily6.html

MDS
11th November 2009, 16:19
A deal is expected to be announced soon between NBC and Comcast. While a complete merger wouldn't be finished for over a year with the regulatory processes and whatnot, a 51-49 percent deal with Jeff Zucker in charge could announced as soon as the end of this week.

Everything I've seen points to cross promoting sports over NBC and Comcast networks like the Golf Channel and Versus, unless as some rumors suggest Comcast is going after NBC just for the cable channels, which seems unlikely.

I have to believe that one reason the broadcast schedule is not out yet is because of this deal and the potential that NBC could pick up a few of the Versus races, most likely Long Beach at a minimum.

NickFalzone
11th November 2009, 17:23
They're saying that Zucker will head up this new Comcast-NBC, but as you said the majority of programming and management changes will probably not take place until late next year. I doubt that the IRL schedule is being held back due to this deal, it's more likely a situation of ABC picking and choosing which dates it wants. They didn't finalize the ABC/VS split for the 09 season until Jan or Feb.

Jag_Warrior
12th November 2009, 19:12
In what year does the ABC contract for the Indy 500 end? And does ABC hold an option?

Chamoo
12th November 2009, 22:47
In what year does the ABC contract for the Indy 500 end? And does ABC hold an option?

The latest number I heard was that it was a 2 year deal with options by both the IRL and ABC. That was from Robin Miller or Curt Cavin a while ago.

indyracefan
13th November 2009, 06:21
The latest number I heard was that it was a 2 year deal with options by both the IRL and ABC. That was from Robin Miller or Curt Cavin a while ago.

Yeah, I thought I remembered when the deal was announced that ABC had the Indy 500 through 2011.

MDS
13th November 2009, 14:10
I want to say 2011 too, but I'm not sure

Jag_Warrior
2nd December 2009, 03:07
A little late night reading for the crew:

For years, competitors have tried to challenge ESPN. Their efforts failed or never advanced beyond big talk.

Comcast’s impending acquisition of NBC Universal will certainly set off an effort to turn Versus into a viable alternative, if not a full-fledged competitor, to ESPN. Under Comcast’s ownership, Versus has transformed from the Outdoor Life Network to OLN, then, in 2006, into its current incarnation.

But Versus is a second-tier network whose highest-profile sports, the N.H.L. and the Tour de France, aren’t blockbusters. It lacks a studio show that would give it identity, like ESPN’s “SportsCenter,” or an announcer who is its defining personality.

Versus (and its sister network, the Golf Channel) will be turned over to NBC for an overhaul, assuming regulators approve the deal, a process that could take 12 to 18 months. Versus will probably be renamed something like NBC Sports Cable to reflect a more defined sports brand. On-air and production talent would migrate from NBC, to a certain extent, although Bob Costas would not be hosting IndyCar races.

With NBC, Comcast Dials Up Versus (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/business/media/02sandomir.html)

NickFalzone
2nd December 2009, 03:15
I'm just impressed the IndyCar was mentioned a few times in that article. Usually it gets forgotten completely.

As far as the deal, it looks very likely to happen, but whether this will be good or not so good news for the IRL is tbd. I didn't read that whole article in detail but down near the end they mention things like IRL being in a 2nd tier of the VS sports, along with Bull Riding, college football, and MMA. This Times writer does not consider it to be on the same level as Tour De France and the NHL. So that's something to be wary of when NBC decides to do their big sports thing.

But with the Indy 500 rights up for bidding again by 2011 (or 12) I could definitely see NBC wanting to go for that, and maybe with that race on their network they'll see some reason to try and grow the IRL into more of a 1st tier property. It's an interesting situation at least, and a little less depressing than being stuck on Versus-only for 10 more years.

anthonyvop
2nd December 2009, 05:17
First off it is Comcast that is buying NBC not the other way around. Vs. will not be available in more households because of the deal.
The only sport on Versus that currently would be of any interest to NBC sports is the NHL and perhaps the Tour de France.
To put it in perspective.........This weekend Vs has scheduled for prime-time the movie "Bloodsport" on Saturday and "The Karate Kid III" for Sunday.

If ICS does get more exposure on NBC it will be a few years down the line. At the same time Network TV ratings will continue their lose of audience share across the board as well.

NBC also has the Olympics in 2012 so any event during the summer can just accept the fact they will operate in obscurity during that time.

nigelred5
2nd December 2009, 12:40
What would prevent Comcast shifting/cross promoting NBC/Versus programming to NBC Broadcast TV under the current versus deal? It certainly wouldn't be anyone at the IRL. Comcast owning NBC gives them even more leverage against competetors. You want to broadcast NBC?, you put NBCVersus in basic cable packages, just like USA, MSNBC and CNBC. Nothing would prevent Comcast from shifting VERSUS sports to NBC broadcast in the future, especially with digital broadcasting where over the air broadcasters now have three bands to broadcast on, not a single channel. i predict a quick re-branding of Versus to include/ merge the NBC sports name if hte deal goes through, which I expect it will.
It's clear that Comcast wants an even larger share of the ESPN sports entertainment market. NBC SPORTS and Comcast will both now have something they haven't had. Comcast will now own a major over the air Network, and NBC will have numerous additional cable outlets, including a vast sports network of regional and local sports channels and broadcast contracts and naming rights deals. NBC SPORTS will now have the entire Comcast SportsNET to tie all levels of sports from local to top international broadcast coverage. sub-A ball to the Olympics. There's HUGE potential for a sports fan there in this deal.

champcarray
3rd December 2009, 13:30
It's official: Comcast is buying a controlling interest in NBC:

Comcast to buy controlling stake in NBC Universal
By DEBORAH YAO, AP Business Writer - Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:39AM EST

PHILADELPHIA - Comcast Corp. announced Thursday it plans to buy a majority stake in NBC Universal for $13.75 billion, giving the nation's largest cable TV operator control of the Peacock network, an array of cable channels and a major movie studio.

Although the deal could mean that movies could reach cable more quickly after showing in theaters, and that TV shows could appear faster on cell phones and other devices, it was already raising concerns that Comcast would wield too much power over entertainment.

Indeed, if the deal clears regulatory and other hurdles, Comcast would rival the heft of The Walt Disney Co. — which Comcast CEO Brian Roberts already tried to buy.

Comcast, which already serves a quarter of all U.S. households that pay for TV, would gain control of the NBC broadcast network, the Spanish-language Telemundo and about two dozen cable channels, including USA, Syfy and The Weather Channel. It also would get regional sports networks, Universal Pictures and theme parks.

In agreeing to buy 51 percent of NBC Universal from General Electric Co., which has controlled NBC since 1986, Comcast hopes to succeed in marrying distribution and content in a way Time Warner Inc. could not. AOL and Time Warner are undoing their ill-fated marriage Dec. 9. Time Warner has already shed its cable TV operations.

EagleEye
3rd December 2009, 15:28
It's official: Comcast is buying a controlling interest in NBC:

Comcast to buy controlling stake in NBC Universal
By DEBORAH YAO, AP Business Writer - Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:39AM EST

PHILADELPHIA - Comcast Corp. announced Thursday it plans to buy a majority stake in NBC Universal for $13.75 billion, giving the nation's largest cable TV operator control of the Peacock network, an array of cable channels and a major movie studio.

Although the deal could mean that movies could reach cable more quickly after showing in theaters, and that TV shows could appear faster on cell phones and other devices, it was already raising concerns that Comcast would wield too much power over entertainment.

Indeed, if the deal clears regulatory and other hurdles, Comcast would rival the heft of The Walt Disney Co. — which Comcast CEO Brian Roberts already tried to buy.

Comcast, which already serves a quarter of all U.S. households that pay for TV, would gain control of the NBC broadcast network, the Spanish-language Telemundo and about two dozen cable channels, including USA, Syfy and The Weather Channel. It also would get regional sports networks, Universal Pictures and theme parks.

In agreeing to buy 51 percent of NBC Universal from General Electric Co., which has controlled NBC since 1986, Comcast hopes to succeed in marrying distribution and content in a way Time Warner Inc. could not. AOL and Time Warner are undoing their ill-fated marriage Dec. 9. Time Warner has already shed its cable TV operations.

Too many people have anointed this as the saving grace for the IRL, but not so fast….

There remains a huge industry battle amongst cable/sat providers that could actually get bigger. There is quite a bit of fear that Comcast will use this deal to restrict access to other NBC channels, similar to what transpired with Versus and DTV. If Comcast is looking to make Versus the ESPN of the NBC family, as the NY Times indicates, they would need to go after some top level sports instead of the Bull Riding, Hockey and Indycar series they currently have. Say, doesn’t NBC have NASCAR? You think the NASCAR take over of the Speed channel was bad, just wait until we get an equal does of NASCAR 24/7 on Versus or what ever they intend to call it. NBC has about ten times the investment in NASCAR than Versus has in the IRL. And, DTV still does not have Versus. And, there may be a day when DTV does not have NBC….there remains too many unanswered questions.

In the end, it could be good news if things fall in place and the series is viewed as an asset, and not a liability. Certainly having Izod onboard is a tremendous help, but there still remains one little thing that determines programming….ratings! Unless the ratings improve, and I mean REALLY improve, the IRL may be faced with obscurity or have to go back to buying time.

Hopefully, there will be some sponsor activation over the next few months leading up to the first race which will generate buzz and the ratings will go up significantly. That, and not the Comcast/NBC deal, is the only way to solidify the future.

NickFalzone
3rd December 2009, 16:07
Too many people have anointed this as the saving grace for the IRL, but not so fast….

There remains a huge industry battle amongst cable/sat providers that could actually get bigger. There is quite a bit of fear that Comcast will use this deal to restrict access to other NBC channels, similar to what transpired with Versus and DTV. If Comcast is looking to make Versus the ESPN of the NBC family, as the NY Times indicates, they would need to go after some top level sports instead of the Bull Riding, Hockey and Indycar series they currently have. Say, doesn’t NBC have NASCAR? You think the NASCAR take over of the Speed channel was bad, just wait until we get an equal does of NASCAR 24/7 on Versus or what ever they intend to call it. NBC has about ten times the investment in NASCAR than Versus has in the IRL. And, DTV still does not have Versus. And, there may be a day when DTV does not have NBC….there remains too many unanswered questions.

In the end, it could be good news if things fall in place and the series is viewed as an asset, and not a liability. Certainly having Izod onboard is a tremendous help, but there still remains one little thing that determines programming….ratings! Unless the ratings improve, and I mean REALLY improve, the IRL may be faced with obscurity or have to go back to buying time.

Hopefully, there will be some sponsor activation over the next few months leading up to the first race which will generate buzz and the ratings will go up significantly. That, and not the Comcast/NBC deal, is the only way to solidify the future.

Well, I was with you until you mentioned NASCAR, can't remember when NASCAR was on NBC, if ever. (They're on Fox, ABC, and TNT along with Speed). I do agree though that this is no slam dunk. If it was just the series races itself, I would not be hugely optimistic. That being said, I think the 500 will be the sticking point that will get the races on NBC. Maybe not the whole season, but I imagine a scenario of the 500 and 5-7 races on NBC, the rest on Versus/Sportsnet, and good cross promotion between the two.

Chamoo
3rd December 2009, 16:50
Basically, Comcast buying NBC can't do any harm to the IRL. With this purchase, the IRL isn't hurt at all, but only has potential to grow.

MDS
3rd December 2009, 17:03

As one of the first people to hail this as the savior of the IRL I thought I should respond. The deal is now down and short of some regulatory halt the two companies should be fully merged by mid next 2011. The sports department is going to be merged and there is going to be an effort to make the most out of every property, including the IRL. The notion that the Comcast/NBC is somehow going to let the ICS wither on the vine doesn't make any business sense. If anything I expect NBC to get the rights to the the Indy 500 and probably start broadcasting 8 or more races in 2011/12, if not sooner.

NBC lost its NASCAR rights after 2006 to ABC, it doesn't have a strong NFL presence and while it holds rights to Golf and Tennis, my bet is PGA ratings are about to take a hit in the wake of this Tiger scandal. There was even a joke on 30-Rock this year about NBC sports not having any sports to broadcast.

Yes Izod activation is wonderful, and yes there is a chance the DTV/Comcast feud will accelerate now rather than slow down, but I honestly believe things are looking up for the league. One of my clients recently requested we put together a info packet on the IRL and price out sponsorship options for both car and league options.

EagleEye
3rd December 2009, 20:59
Well, I was with you until you mentioned NASCAR, can't remember when NASCAR was on NBC, if ever. (They're on Fox, ABC, and TNT along with Speed). I do agree though that this is no slam dunk. If it was just the series races itself, I would not be hugely optimistic. That being said, I think the 500 will be the sticking point that will get the races on NBC. Maybe not the whole season, but I imagine a scenario of the 500 and 5-7 races on NBC, the rest on Versus/Sportsnet, and good cross promotion between the two.

I rarely watch anything but the road races, and forgot they lost the deal.

EagleEye
3rd December 2009, 21:24
As one of the first people to hail this as the savior of the IRL I thought I should respond. The deal is now down and short of some regulatory halt the two companies should be fully merged by mid next 2011. The sports department is going to be merged and there is going to be an effort to make the most out of every property, including the IRL. The notion that the Comcast/NBC is somehow going to let the ICS wither on the vine doesn't make any business sense. If anything I expect NBC to get the rights to the the Indy 500 and probably start broadcasting 8 or more races in 2011/12, if not sooner.

NBC lost its NASCAR rights after 2006 to ABC, it doesn't have a strong NFL presence and while it holds rights to Golf and Tennis, my bet is PGA ratings are about to take a hit in the wake of this Tiger scandal. There was even a joke on 30-Rock this year about NBC sports not having any sports to broadcast.

Yes Izod activation is wonderful, and yes there is a chance the DTV/Comcast feud will accelerate now rather than slow down, but I honestly believe things are looking up for the league. One of my clients recently requested we put together a info packet on the IRL and price out sponsorship options for both car and league options.

The long and short of what I was saying is that it is too early to tell how this will impact the IRL. My bad on the NBC/NASCAR thing, as I rarely watch them any more.

There are concerns that Comcast will restrict programming, so that any Versus/NBC Sports channel would be available only to Comcast (ala, DTV and Versus) and would lead to a reduction of households.

Then again, if Comcast plays fair, and embraces the Versus/NBC Sports approach while viewing the IRL as an asset, that would be a great thing. It is just too early to tell. I just returned from the IMIS in Indy, and you are right, there is a degree of optimism with this as long as things play out in the IRL's favor.

And, regardless of what shakes out, the ratings of the IRL will dictate its future. The IRL and Izod need to get the drivers, teams and series represented on commercials in prime time.

As for the Tiger situation having a negative impact on the PGA’s ratings, I respectfully disagree. I think you will see just the opposite for events Tiger is in, especially the first few, depending on how long this saga plays out. The Yankees had a ratings boom when one of their own players went through a similar situation. We are a strange breed, indeed.

Jag_Warrior
3rd December 2009, 21:45
As for the Tiger situation having a negative impact on the PGA’s ratings, I respectfully disagree. I think you will see just the opposite for events Tiger is in, especially the first few, depending on how long this saga plays out. The Yankees had a ratings boom when one of their own players went through a similar situation. We are a strange breed, indeed.

Yeah, you nailed that. If anything, the PGA's ratings will be through the roof, at least for awhile. Controversy creates ratings. I mean, let's be honest. The catfight between Danica and Milka was one of the highlights for the IRL.

A huge number of the fans who watch golf are following Woods. Like me... I hate golf. But I watch the kid. He is an amazing talent, even though it's in a sport that I don't give two farts about. I don't like what he's done in his private life, but I'll be watching next year to see if a gang of waitresses come running out of the gallery with their tops off or something. Or maybe a bunch of hairy legged feminazis will protest at the events he plays in. Gloria Allred might be struck dead by an errant golf shot. :up: What will happen? What will be said, by him or others? Yeah, I ain't missin' that! :bounce:

I suggest that Danica cheat on her husband and try to get some attention for the IRL! Do it with Carrie Prejean and get a twofer! :D

But no, the PGA only has to be concerned if the sponsors start getting cold feet after the next 10 girls come out of the woodwork, or if the topic of domestic violence creeps up.

EagleEye
3rd December 2009, 22:02
I suggest that Danica cheat on her husband and try to get some attention for the IRL! Do it with Carrie Prejean and get a twofer! :D

That would be incredible TV!

nigelred5
3rd December 2009, 22:15
The long and short of what I was saying is that it is too early to tell how this will impact the IRL. My bad on the NBC/NASCAR thing, as I rarely watch them any more.

There are concerns that Comcast will restrict programming, so that any Versus/NBC Sports channel would be available only to Comcast (ala, DTV and Versus) and would lead to a reduction of households.

Then again, if Comcast plays fair, and embraces the Versus/NBC Sports approach while viewing the IRL as an asset, that would be a great thing. It is just too early to tell. I just returned from the IMIS in Indy, and you are right, there is a degree of optimism with this as long as things play out in the IRL's favor.

And, regardless of what shakes out, the ratings of the IRL will dictate its future. The IRL and Izod need to get the drivers, teams and series represented on commercials in prime time.

Comcast didn't RESTRICT Versus programming, DTV REFUSED to pay Comcast's increased fees to carry their channels, So DTV was forced to remove the comcast owned programming when they wouldn't pay. It was DTV's choice. Granted, Comcast has dramatically over valued Versus at this time, but they definitely anticipate demand for the network to increase in the future and contracts were up.

anthonyvop
4th December 2009, 03:08

Never happen. I don't think Carrie Prejean is into 12 year old Korean boys.

EagleEye
4th December 2009, 03:32
Comcast didn't RESTRICT Versus programming, DTV REFUSED to pay Comcast's increased fees to carry their channels, So DTV was forced to remove the comcast owned programming when they wouldn't pay. It was DTV's choice. Granted, Comcast has dramatically over valued Versus at this time, but they definitely anticipate demand for the network to increase in the future and contracts were up.

Comcast wanted more for Versus than the ratings for the network dictated, and DTV did not want to pay thay. DTV balked becuae the rate was much higher than the going rate for similar channels. Now, Comcast could do the same for other channels.

Read the NY Times article, as others in the industry are afraid that Comcast will do the same with other channels. Ask un-rereasonsable rates for channels.

garyshell
4th December 2009, 03:43
Never happen. I don't think Carrie Prejean is into 12 year old Korean boys.

She turned you down, huh?

Gary