PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Pentti Airikkala

niko
30th September 2009, 23:24
After a long illness dad lost his fight today. He took his last stage peacefully.

I know how much he enjoyed reading and writing on this forum, I for one certainly miss his comments.

Kind regards to you all,

Niko
http://pentti-airikkala.gonetoosoon.org/

DonJippo
30th September 2009, 23:26
R.I.P. Pentti you will be missed :(

urabus-denoS2000
30th September 2009, 23:30
A true rallying legend,can't believe it

R.I.P. Pentti Airikkala

Tomi
30th September 2009, 23:39
Feels kind of empty, to loose a good friend is always tough.
Osanottoni siskosi ja sinun perheellesi Niko.

raybak
30th September 2009, 23:43
R.I.P. Pentti, you will be missed by the whole rally community.

Ray

noel157
30th September 2009, 23:44
Sad, sad news. A big loss to our sport. I spent many years watching him, an incredible guy and a driver with an amazing talent who maybe didn't get all the breaks he deserved.
Thoughts with his family and friends.

turves
30th September 2009, 23:50
RIP Pentti. I have many fond memories of you over the years and they will be remembered forever.

My condolences to friends and family.

Mirek
30th September 2009, 23:57
Rest in peace, Pentti :(

C64WDU
30th September 2009, 23:58
RIP Pentti, thanks for the memories. Thoughts are with the family at this time.

J4MIE
1st October 2009, 00:05
Sad news to read, was a nice cheerful funny guy and I was glad to meet him in Finland.

RIP Pentti :(

sollitt
1st October 2009, 00:22
Very sorry to read your news Niko. Only yesterday I was looking at the picture of Pentti overtaking Mikkola high up on the banking at the Western Springs speedway in Auckland in 1979 RNZ. Surely one of the most spectacular photographs, and pieces of driving, in the history of the sport.

I will always remember his very exciting drives on both the '79 & '80 events.

Condolences to you and your family.

m.lowe
1st October 2009, 00:23
Such a sad lost to one of Britain's and Rallying's entertainers
RIP Pentti
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8213/servicea68.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5904/mintex1.jpg

Josti
1st October 2009, 00:23
How sad :(

He used to share some great stories here on the forum, he will be missed. Rest in Peace.

Daniel
1st October 2009, 00:29
RIP Pentti :(

Your insights will be sorely missed .

WRCfan
1st October 2009, 01:41
R.I.P Pentti you will be sorely missed.

tmx
1st October 2009, 01:43
This is sad news, Pentti is a one of a humble driver whom I respect.

gloomyDAY
1st October 2009, 02:09
Many thanks.I have been batling with my ilness for long time now.But it looks like the worst is over.I have been following this forum of course but in my hospital they do not allow computers plus their tv is awfull! It was interesting to see how oversteering all Fords were again in New Zealand. The team claims it's because the rear diff.I don't buy that.They are just not having enough rear toy in.Only 2 millimeters.I have found that some times you need even 4-5 millimeters total.So not only Citroen have the most powerfull engine, they also have a lot more grip at rear.Also they do not have a spare wheel in the silly location as Focus. Pirellies beeing now even heavier than before that 35 kg matters.Well it took over two years for Ford to change that silly gear change-hand brake system.I wonder how long this spare wheel nonsense will carry on.Without that Mikko would have won in Finland and New Zealand.Also Jari-Matti would have not made those accidents.
Another thing I have noticed that FIA in their wisdom have made it compulsary to have seat supports in work cars.So in Focus this driver side support is against side window.Great! I wait a next rule from FIA.
Bring back rear wheel drive cars I wish! :(

LastDitchRacing
1st October 2009, 03:05
RIP Pentti. I'll think of you every time I LFB. :-)

Helstar
1st October 2009, 03:44
Sad day ... his anecdotes were the best. RIP Pentti, forever in our hearts.

Rally Hokkaido
1st October 2009, 03:59
Shocked to hear of Pentti's passing. Like others, I enjoyed his wise words here on the forum. Sincere condolences to Niko and the rest of his family.

Carlo
1st October 2009, 04:26
Another tall tree from the forest of rallying has fallen, sincere condolences to Niko, family and friends.

Like Bruce I well remember that effort at Western Springs speedway track when he went around the outside of Hannu using the banking and part of the wall. Boy it sure did set the tone for the future for all us Kiwi drivers who were watching them. That moment redefined our definition of a rally superstar

pino
1st October 2009, 05:52
What a terrible news, I too have had the chance to meet him a few times and shared a couple of beers, at Neste Rally. What a great and funny guy he was, no to mention his driving skills. It was an honour to have him on this forum...

R.I.P Pentti :(

bowler
1st October 2009, 05:55
Dear Niko,

Thank you for posting the sad news.

A sad loss of a legend.

RIP Rentti

A.F.F.
1st October 2009, 06:03
Oh my god :(

My very sincere condolences to Pentti's family and love-ones. I'm very sad to hear this. True rallymaster from head to toe and very very funny and nice man in person and here on forum.

RIP Pentti.

Brother John
1st October 2009, 06:41
Dear Niko , we will all missing Pentti here on the forum.
Condolences to you and your family.
RIP Pentti

Dingardo
1st October 2009, 07:08
thats really sad to hear, i loved reading his messages on here and he always proved to be a wealth of knowledge!

condolences to you and your family

RIP Pentti

teufel
1st October 2009, 07:49
It's a sad day, our forum community has a big loss with him passing away. I'll miss his advices on driving and other techniques!
My deepest condolences to his family!
Rest in peace Pentti!

morganmilan
1st October 2009, 07:49
RIP Pentti. For me a whole rallying legend with his old Vauxhall. Very sad news. I was very intrigated with that picture about Pentti and Hannu at 1979 RNZ at Western Springs. I´ve never seen it. Would it be possible in this thread to be published as hommage to that spectacular driver? Many thanks anyway

cali
1st October 2009, 08:02
This is very sad news. What a nice guy and a driver he was - i loved his every comment here in the forum.

My condolences to family.

RIP Pentti

ProRally
1st October 2009, 08:40
Very sad news.

Still visualize him on the old airfield in UK giving instructions.

May he rest in peace

My condolences to the family and friends

bt52b
1st October 2009, 08:41
Never met him, but loved meeting him here. So sad to lose another hero.

miksu
1st October 2009, 08:49
R.I.P. Pentti.

I remember when i joined this forum, i was reading his posts and they struck me instantly. I started looking for his videos from youtube right away, and he was the one whose posts i tried to look for. His way of writing was so honest and straight forward. Humour was always there too, bit hard to get i guess, but typical for finns.

Kevyet mullat, Pentti.

bennizw
1st October 2009, 09:04
Rest in Peace. A great legend who always gave us forum members interesting insights in the sport. He will be missed.

AndyRAC
1st October 2009, 09:05
RIP Pentti.

A fantastic and entertaining driver, who can for get scaring Harry Carpenter in the snow, driving the Chevette? A well deserved RAC win in 1989 was the least his talents deserved.
His technical and other insights into current World Rallying were always welcomed and well made.

MrJan
1st October 2009, 09:07
I've only just seen this and it's a bit of a shock, I love seeing old interviews with him because he had an interesting sense of humour.

RIP, another rallying hero has left us.

GallardoGT
1st October 2009, 09:12
RIP Pentti. Have sweet driving in heaven.

bassist
1st October 2009, 09:13
Such sad news of Pentti, a charismatic fun loving driver who always gave it all! One of my all time memories is that of Pentti in the BT Manta Broadside at the end of Cymasagwen, discs glowing in the dark!! Oh and does anyone remember when he took Harry Carpenter for a ride in the Chevette HSR for the programme `Sportsnight`.I think Harry , so used to squaring up to Muhamid Ali met his match that day-he was terrified!!! Another one of Rallyings great characters lost to the forests up above! Deepest sympathy to all his family and many many freinds.......... It was always a `Goose Bump` feeling watching you Pentti! R.I.P.

Maui J.
1st October 2009, 09:14
Very sad news.
Will miss his very wise comments here on the forum.
It was great to have a real WRC legend to share his thoughts and ideas with us all.
Our thoughts are with you Niko and the rest of Pentti's family. Kia Kaha!
Thank you Pentti, you will always be remembered here and in the rallying world.

sal
1st October 2009, 09:16
RIP. A very sad loss. He was very much the "British" Finn with a wicked sense of humour and obviously his driving skills were legendary. Condolences to family and his many friends.

Juha_Koo
1st October 2009, 10:02
:( Terrible news.

My sincere condolences to Pentti's relatives and loved-ones.

Lepää rauhassa, Pentti.

Wim_Impreza
1st October 2009, 10:05
R.I.P. Pentti.

I will never lose the poster that I have of your win in the RAC 1989.

Woodeye
1st October 2009, 10:06
Really sad news. :(

I as one of the many I had the privilege reading his posts here in the forum and enjoy his knowledge and comments about rally and especially driving techiques.

RIP - Lepää rauhassa, Pentti.

niko
1st October 2009, 10:30
Thank you for all the very kind words and memories, we appreciate reading them very much.

Dads first rally, his fathers pride and joy. I dont think grandad ever knew he used it for rallying. When he noticed a rev counter installed on the dashboard, Penttis reply was "..its for better fuel consumption!" Grandad like that :) .

Mark
1st October 2009, 10:37
I have to admit I didn't know him during his rallying days. But I very much enjoyed his insights on the forums and he is already greatly missed :( R.I.P

Donney
1st October 2009, 10:38
WHAT?¿?¿? I just can't believe it, I was not ready for this, not that anyone is....

Such a sad day.....

If there's a heavenly SS he'll be there right now showing his amazing skills.

R.I.P.

m.lowe
1st October 2009, 11:01
Posted on behalf of Gus McAnallen of rallyretro.com
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/561/s1c3penttiairikkala.jpg

A tribute of pics from Gus @ rallyretro.com

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee173/rallyretro/Pentti_RIP/

Viking
1st October 2009, 11:03
R.I.P. Pentti.

A sad loss for the rally community...

m.lowe
1st October 2009, 11:18
Pentti scaring Harry Carpenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9kPy_0xA94&feature=player_embedded

Shirk
1st October 2009, 11:23
Sad news indeed, condolences to his family & friends. I immediately came here after spotting the short obituary on Autosport, thinking back how nice it was to have Pentti's serene and qualified comments from a former competitor's point of view amidst all the madness that often ensues when overly-committed fans start quarrelling among themselves, often without knowing the first thing about the subject matter at hand.

euskalteam
1st October 2009, 12:10
Very sad day for the rallye comunity , and for this forum, because we lost also a member of it. :( :(

I will never forgot pentti's posts, and the victory of the RAC.

A legend is gone!

kleisj
1st October 2009, 14:24
I was shocked and very sad to read the terrible news in wrc.com. It is a very sad day for the Rally society.
I had the privilege of meeting him once 10 years ago at his school at the old airfield. It was a day never to forget.
Amazing person, great driver , great teacher.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends

He will be missed by all of us

jiipee64
1st October 2009, 14:28
R.I.P. Pentti

Met him a few times allways a gentleman...
His sence of humour will be missed!

AndiG
1st October 2009, 14:38
I met him at my first WRC rally in finland 2001 at the shakedown! For me as a young rally fan it was very impressive to talk to him!
RIP

Wasted Talent
1st October 2009, 14:40
Very, very sad news.

I have been entertained by Pentti for many years - in the Chevette, Starion, Galant, Sapphire and Astra etc, then chatting as a fellow spectator, and finally getting his wisdom on here. He will be missed by a hell of a lot of people.

Condolances to his family and friends

RIP Pentti - one of the fastest good guys

dimviii
1st October 2009, 14:41
Rip :(

I am evil Homer
1st October 2009, 15:04
What a shock and sad news to hear. My condolences to the Airikkala family and his fans all over the world.

Terrible news :(

N.O.T
1st October 2009, 15:32
Damn, that was the worst shock i had in some time now....didn;t even know he was ill.....

he will be missed .... may the people he left behind remember him for the great person he was.

alleskids
1st October 2009, 15:36
Very sad news to hear, words are not enough to express the loss. condolences to his family & friends.

niko
1st October 2009, 15:36
Not sure why the photo didnt show properly, trying again (forum rookie)
Thank you for all the very kind words and memories, we appreciate reading them very much.

Dads first rally car, his fathers pride and joy. I dont think grandad ever knew he used it for rallying. When he noticed a rev counter installed on the dashboard, Penttis reply was "..its for more efficient fuel consumption!" Grandad like that :) .
http://www.webtechconsultancy.co.uk/images/mersu.jpg

jparker
1st October 2009, 16:03
Hard to believe he's gone, I'll miss his comments very much.
RIP Pentti, you will be missed.

GigiGalliNo1
1st October 2009, 16:31
I spoke to him on here a few times and didn't realized who he was until maybe a few months later.... perhaps a year! He will be missed, and know he was on the forum here..... wondered where he went.... and now he's up there with the greats!

Tomi
1st October 2009, 16:47
Not sure why the photo didnt show properly, trying again (forum rookie)
http://www.webtechconsultancy.co.uk/images/mersu.jpg

Niko, is that the same Mercedes he was training on ice as well?

OldF
1st October 2009, 17:05
R.I.P. Pentti
Lepää rauhassa.

L5->R5/CR
1st October 2009, 17:10
Pentti was one of the reasons I joined and followed this forum.

RIP Pentti, you will be missed more than you would have ever thought.

Rally Power
1st October 2009, 19:13
A sad day for rally sport.

R.I.P. Pentti

Francis44
1st October 2009, 19:15
R.I.P Pentti!!!!

Macd
1st October 2009, 19:30
R.I.P Pentti :(

Cloverleaf
1st October 2009, 19:55
I will always remember him with his outspoken attitude.
Pentti Airikkala, Rest In Peace.

1990 BBC TopGear. Tiff Nedell understands how different rally driving is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOqbMJ407c

inimitablestoo
1st October 2009, 20:02
I don't often look in on the rally forum, but I had to today. Pentti was a legend on the stages and a legend on these boards. A shame his like aren't the ones running the sport...

Somewhere up there tonight, there's a Finnish gentleman drifting a cloud sideways... :)

wotaguy
1st October 2009, 20:18
R.I.P. Pentii, sadly missed a lovely man to chat to , both on here and on the stages , one of the legends for sure......

BDunnell
1st October 2009, 20:42
What terribly sad news. Pentti was one of the drivers I grew up watching in the period when I came to love the sport, and his RAC win, so well-deserved after so many years of trying, will always remain a favourite memory.

And so will this — a typically spirited, hard-trying performance in not the best car. Pentti's performance on the 1987 Manx International is, to me, one of those that proves you don't need a lot of power to be spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZT8FNGIv5c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lbTdnjrZY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe-7jEf7Xy4

TMorel
1st October 2009, 21:22
Due to a slight "incident" between me, Pentti and a bit of gravel, my left eye was slightly damaged many moons ago, so if anyone asks, that's what is causing it to look a bit like the odd tear tonight.

I never did get round to finishing my conversation about my VR4. Kept thinking "I must reply tomorrow" and now wont get the chance :(

Pentti... a rolemodel, childhood hero and a thoroughly nice chap. RIP

driveace
1st October 2009, 21:26
R.I.P. Pentti met you on many occassions at many events,and you always had time for a few words.I think the first time was in 78/79 in the Vauxhall days.Then in Helsinki where you were using a Mercedes 190 in Maroon as your runaround .On the dash was a silver plate with the inscription "You can tell the men from the boys by the size of their toys"
I knew you had an illness from an ex Bray resident landlord,and the fact that you were no longer posting on this site.You will be sorely missed..
Kiitos !

Halvis
1st October 2009, 21:33
RIP Pentti - it was always interesting to read his insightful posts in here - been missing them for a while already.

driveace
1st October 2009, 21:37
In the Vauxhall Astra Days in the Isle of man
R.I.P. Pentti

MJW
1st October 2009, 21:37
R.I.P Pentti - Allways freindly and interesting to talk to. The man who brought electric kettles to Finland.

ste898
1st October 2009, 21:39
Another true legend passes away and we are left more and more with the robots of today

Brynmor Pierce
1st October 2009, 21:58
Was gutted to hear the news this morning, grew up with a poster of him in the Manta above my bed. RIP to a real legend

4Regioni
1st October 2009, 22:03
R.I.P. Pentti

CABAIO E'LONA
1st October 2009, 22:37
R.I.P. Pentti :(

janvanvurpa
2nd October 2009, 01:08
Rest in Peace, Pentti.
I met him only once at 1987 Rocky Mountain Rally, in Pincher Creek, Alberta. 1st round of Canadian Championship.
A crazy Canadian had arranged to fly Pentti over to do a little school and then drive this guys own car with the normal driver co-driving.
Let us be nice and say the car was pretty rough for a piece of crap Mazda RX3.
Pentti was very cheerful, very polite when I asked about the car (Holy sheeet poiki you're driving THAT????!!!) and FLEW. Killed the car, blew everything up and flipped.

I saw the owner later and he said he had cramps from smiling so long and hard "2 gears higher everywhere than I can drive, sideways everywhere, I can't co-drive, winning stages till we killed the car. Best time rally I ever had!!!!"
Maybe now that he has infinite time somebody can explain to him why "motor-bike gearshifts" are so nice.

Bye bye.

rx-guru
2nd October 2009, 01:19
Godspeed, Pentti!

Koz
2nd October 2009, 06:54
RIP Pentti!

It was great having you on the forums here!
You will be dearly missed by us all.

SanjayKumar
2nd October 2009, 08:52
Pentti you were great to have around on the forums and were willing to answer any and all questions. You had a successful rally career and you will be dearly missed!

Rest in Peace Pentti.

Miika
2nd October 2009, 14:08
So long, Pentti.

tmx
2nd October 2009, 14:29
Well this is hypocritical to bash crash.net before and post this, but this is the interview I could find on Google of Pentti. I remembered he said something about race drivers vs rally drivers that may be controversial, but is also a really great point that earned my respect even more: http://www.crash.net/World+Rally/News/122109/1/pentti_airikkala_qa_-_exclusive.html

bf1_IRL
2nd October 2009, 15:22
Rip :(

janneppi
2nd October 2009, 16:17
Sad news :(

dyfi1
2nd October 2009, 16:56
I`ve been off line for a few days, and I just logged on to this....... RIP Pentti, I`m stunned.

Zep
2nd October 2009, 22:20
:( Very sad news. R.I.P.

Nenukknak
2nd October 2009, 22:20
Very sad news indeed. I always enjoyed reading his anecdotes and insights. And sometimes great discussions. Discussing rally with a WRC-rally winner, how cool was that.

His stories about the Pepsi-Yamaha group B car, and how spectators would lose their fingers on the air-intakes of the Peugeot 205t16, how Mikkola said that he will drive the tractor if Audi want to pay him for that, how Markku Alen stole his set-up in Finland 1985. These were just some of the great anecdotes Pentti shared with us on this forum. For that I'm greatfull.

He will be sorely missed, R.I.P. Pentti and condolences to his family and loved ones.

steve_spackman
2nd October 2009, 22:39
RIP Pentti. My condolences to friends and family.

DonJippo
3rd October 2009, 12:37
Great video Pentti's first year with Chevette

part I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L022omgZrWU

part II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuVdGFQFk8o&NR=1

ciarang
3rd October 2009, 12:40
Very sad news, he was a very skilled driver and a very friendly character. A great loss for his family and motorsport. RIP

Daniel
3rd October 2009, 17:41
A tribute to Pentti on Italiaspeed which is written by a forum member here (MartiniLancia)

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2009/motorsport/rally/other/pentti_airikkala/0110.html

noel157
3rd October 2009, 20:14
Great video Pentti's first year with Chevette

part I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L022omgZrWU

part II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuVdGFQFk8o&NR=1

Thanks Don, great videos of an artist in his natural element. Brings back many memories, saw the video at a rally night (remember them?) when I was a pup. Maybe produced by Barry Hinchcliff. Edit - Yes it was.
Thanks Pentti.

FRED05
3rd October 2009, 21:34
RIP Pentti. For me a whole rallying legend with his old Vauxhall. Very sad news. I was very intrigated with that picture about Pentti and Hannu at 1979 RNZ at Western Springs. I´ve never seen it. Would it be possible in this thread to be published as hommage to that spectacular driver? Many thanks anyway

RIP Pentti. Sure is a spectacular shot going around the outside of Mikkola at Western Springs Speedway track, ss1 of 1979 RNZ.

pino
4th October 2009, 04:58
...un vero grande pilota...
un compagno di squadra stupendo
un umile che si è seduto più volte al mio fianco per imparare a guidare meglio sull'asfalto...
a me ha insegnato molto su come affrontare i dossi finlandesi e le foreste inglesi...
...un vero grande pilota...
Franco Cunico

...a true great driver...
a wonderful team-mate
an humble driver whom sat many times side by side with me, in order to improve his skills on tarmac...
he was the one whom teached me how to drive on the finnish jumps and in the english forest...
...a true great driver...
Franco Cunico

wwbroe
4th October 2009, 08:03
I have been abroad for a few days, just came back this night. I read this terrible news just now. I remember him especially from the times he drove in Belgium with the Pepsi Escort MK2 and from the early RAC days with the Mitsu, what a generous driving style. Also appreciated him very much for his comments here on the forum. They were allways clear, interesting and full of humor. He will be sorely missed by so many people.
R.I.P. Pentti and my toughts are going to his family and friends all over the world.

NeverKnow
4th October 2009, 10:07
R.I.P. Pentti. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Talbot
7th October 2009, 17:03
RIP Pentti,

I had the privilege of being taught left foot braking and the Scandinavian flick by the master himself.
I met with him on a few occasions to chat about rallying and loved the immense detail he could recount about so many rallying incidents.

A great talent and rallying personality.

Pentti - you'll be missed.

My thoughts and prayers go with you and your family.

Micke_VOC
8th October 2009, 21:29
RIP Pentti, a real legend...

ettelbruck
9th October 2009, 02:02
R.I.P Pentti

One of my oldest rally memories is Pentti driving Isuzu Bellet, just like one my cousin did those days.

maksimi
9th October 2009, 09:28
R.I.P Pentti, i have awesome memories of our times together, your jokes, your talent, your willingness to share your experiences to help develop others. I learnt more with you than can be imagined. My thoughts are with your family in this sad time.

Daniel
15th October 2009, 11:21
I hope it's OK to post this but I did get it in a press release (it's also been posted on other websites) so assume it's OK for public posting.

For the family of Pentti Airikkala and his many friends who
might wish pay their respects, the funeral will take place at
14:30 on Monday 19 October at the Chiltern Crematorium,
Whielden Lane, Amersham, Buckinghamshire HP7 0ND
(tel 01494 724263).

Flowers should be sent to: E Sargeant & Son, 61 St.
Leonards Road, Windsor, SL4 3BX before 11am on 19
October.

Donations should be sent to Swan Life Line (a charity
which Pentti supported), or online at
http://www.swanlifeline.org.uk/donate (http://www.swanlifeline.org.uk/donate)

Langdale Forest
24th October 2009, 11:09
Rip Pentti