PDA

View Full Version : McLaren target 3rd place

Knock-on
30th September 2009, 14:53
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8281526.stm

Who would have thought that after Germany, they would even be able to joke about overtaking Ferrari this year. Back then, McLaren only had 14 points to Ferrari's 32 and the car was struggleing.

However, although Kimi is doing a spectacular job in the Ferrari and pretty much matching Lewis, Kovy is picking up points as well. Moreover, do Ferrari need to keep an eye on Toyota?

How much will Ferrari rue not having a strong 3rd driver to secure points by the end of this season.

gloomyDAY
30th September 2009, 15:36
Stop being such a McLaren fan.

You just wait, just wait until next year.
No one will have any excuse when Princesa de Asturia Alonsita beats everyone down in the Ferrari for an entire season.

Garry Walker
30th September 2009, 15:50
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8281526.stm

Who would have thought that after Germany, they would even be able to joke about overtaking Ferrari this year. Back then, McLaren only had 14 points to Ferrari's 32 and the car was struggleing.

However, although Kimi is doing a spectacular job in the Ferrari and pretty much matching Lewis, Kovy is picking up points as well. Moreover, do Ferrari need to keep an eye on Toyota?

How much will Ferrari rue not having a strong 3rd driver to secure points by the end of this season.

Hopefully McLaren overtakes Ferrari in the run for the 3rd place overall.

SGWilko
30th September 2009, 16:36

No one will have any excuse when Princesa de Asturia Alonsita beats everyone down in the Ferrari for an entire season.

It'll probably end in tears.

woody2goody
30th September 2009, 17:04

If Massa has been unaffected then he'll definitely give Alonso something to worry about.

F1boat
30th September 2009, 17:35
It will be very funny if after all the noise about great battle between Ferrari and McLaren, Brawn GP ends even stronger :-)

harsha
30th September 2009, 19:21
atleast the season has not ended in failure for a Mercedes team :p :

jens
30th September 2009, 21:46
Funnily enough Kovalainen's efforts in the duel of second drivers might be decisive and just enough to bring McLaren that P3, because although he hasn't scored big points, he has been scoring at least some points on a consistent basis, whereas Ferrari's replacements are yet to get into the points.

Sonic
30th September 2009, 21:49
I'm sure Kimi will be turning down his rev's and not pushing too hard after todays news, as he might want to help his possible future employer... ;)

You old cynic you :p

TMorel
30th September 2009, 21:56
I'd actually be disapointed if Kimi didn't push all out to help Ferrari, I'm really coming round to the guy (as a driver no question, but the public face has taken a *lot* of warming to) and would like the think he'd see it thru till the end - and then next season try and destroy them *g*

Steve2009
30th September 2009, 22:08
I'd actually be disapointed if Kimi didn't push all out to help Ferrari, I'm really coming round to the guy (as a driver no question, but the public face has taken a *lot* of warming to) and would like the think he'd see it thru till the end - and then next season try and destroy them *g*Being the professional that he is I would be very surprised if Kimi doesn't give his best.
However:
Ferrari doesn’t have the car or the #2 to hold off McLaren.
They'll take the 3rd place consolation in a cakewalk

Sonic
30th September 2009, 22:14
Being the professional that he is I would be very surprised if Kimi doesn't give his best.
However:
Ferrari doesn’t have the car or the #2 to hold off McLaren.
They'll take the 3rd place consolation in a cakewalk

Not so sure. Suzuka is an aero track; an area McLaren still lag behind in. I'd be very surprised if Lewy sticks it on pole and wanders of into the sunset but Ferrari are hardly going to set the world on fire in the final races either. Whoever gets third place they'll limp to it.

Steve2009
30th September 2009, 22:25
Not so sure. Suzuka is an aero track; an area McLaren still lag behind in. I'd be very surprised if Lewy sticks it on pole and wanders of into the sunset but Ferrari are hardly going to set the world on fire in the final races either. Whoever gets third place they'll limp to it.
That's a good point. plus I think Ferrari are in slightly better shape in the engine use department. Not a full three races worth. But I read last week That Ferrari, and STR were leading in that department. It could come in handy at interlagos were Hp's are a premium at altitude.
I still pick Mclaren though!

Sonic
30th September 2009, 22:31
That's a good point. plus I think Ferrari are in slightly better shape in the engine use department. Not a full three races worth. But I read last week That Ferrari, and STR were leading in that department. It could come in handy at interlagos were Hp's are a premium at altitude.
I still pick Mclaren though!

I agree - McLaren by a nose. But only because they have two drivers scoring at the moment.

speeddurango
1st October 2009, 02:31
McLaren is only fast at slower circuits, meaning there not really lying great chances of surpassing Ferrari in points in the next 3 races.

Valve Bounce
1st October 2009, 03:12

Yep!! I fully concur. :bigcry:
It remains to be seen how many in the team will be pulling their hair in frustration.

woody2goody
1st October 2009, 03:36
I can't see McLaren winning at Suzuka. In my predictions I put him 6th. This track should suit Red Bull, especially Webber as Vettel, like Hamilton, hasn't raced there in F1 before.

Toyota and Raikkonen have traditionally gone well there. Here's what I predicted for Japan if anyone's interested:

1. Barrichello
2. Webber
3. Button
4. Raikkonen
5. Vettel
6. Hamilton
7. Trulli
8. Alonso

F1boat
1st October 2009, 05:52
If the whole track is like the second sector in Spa, Red Bull should score 1-2. But I don't know how will the engine situation with Vettel unfold.

F1boat
1st October 2009, 09:42
A question to F1 experts here. What type of circuit Suzuka is? Is it like Silverstone, all fast corners? Or is it like Spa, different sectors? Or like Monza, fast with slow corners? I can see the graphic for myself, but I am not sure what to make of the track...

ShiftingGears
1st October 2009, 09:51
A question to F1 experts here. What type of circuit Suzuka is? Is it like Silverstone, all fast corners? Or is it like Spa, different sectors? Or like Monza, fast with slow corners? I can see the graphic for myself, but I am not sure what to make of the track...

It's quite fast. The average speed in 2006 was 220 kph. Which is slightly less than the average speed at Silverstone this year.

DexDexter
1st October 2009, 09:57

There are always excuses. By the way, blind faith is never a good thing.

F1boat
1st October 2009, 10:09
Out of the three I would say its more like Silverstone :)

Oh, crap. RBR snorefest, then.

Knock-on
1st October 2009, 10:12
Not really. Think McLaren have improved a lot since then and fingers crossed Brawn are nearly there with their low downforce package.

F1boat
1st October 2009, 10:14
Not really. Think McLaren have improved a lot since then and fingers crossed Brawn are nearly there with their low downforce package.

I hope that you are right... However, at Spa neither Brawn, nor McLaren were too impressive and Suzuka will obviously be worse than Spa.

F1boat
1st October 2009, 10:30
BMW, however, were fast at Monza and Spa, so I expect them to be fighting for points. Force India may also show promise again. They excel on fast tracks. Toyota may or may not be strong, with them, it is always impossible to predict. Renault and Williams will struggle badly in my opinion.

Steve2009
4th October 2009, 08:03
I agree - McLaren by a nose. But only because they have two drivers scoring at the moment.Ferrari managed to hold on to the lead. :erm:
No thanks to Fiszizzle :laugh:

Dave B
4th October 2009, 08:05
Ferrari managed to hold on to the lead. :erm:
No thanks to Fiszizzle :laugh:
In fairness, Heikki wasn't exactly helping McLaren either.

DexDexter
4th October 2009, 08:06
In fairness, Heikki wasn't exactly helping McLaren either.

But he did pass sleeping Fizzy after the stop...

Dave B
4th October 2009, 08:12
But he did pass sleeping Fizzy after the stop...
True enough, but didn't it remind you of two bald men fighting over a comb?

Daniel
4th October 2009, 08:15
:rotflmao: Nice one Dave. Comment of the day surely!

Steve2009
4th October 2009, 08:18
True enough, but didn't it remind you of two bald men fighting over a comb? :up: :laugh:

DexDexter
4th October 2009, 08:53
True enough, but didn't it remind you of two bald men fighting over a comb?

Yep, Heikki is performing very badly, no excuses. I'm very amazed about it, he was a better driver than this at Renault.

AndyL
4th October 2009, 09:14
Yep, Heikki is performing very badly, no excuses. I'm very amazed about it, he was a better driver than this at Renault.

He's not the first talented young driver to have his morale broken as a result of coming up against an even more talented teammate. I think he still has a good chance of recovering his reputation with another team.

ioan
4th October 2009, 13:46
Having a team with 2 driver beat one with only one race driver for half a season is such an 'accomplishment' to be proud of if you are a McLaren fan! :D

UltimateDanGTR
4th October 2009, 14:04
Having a team with 2 driver beat one with only one race driver for half a season is such an 'accomplishment' to be proud of if you are a McLaren fan! :D

id argue both ferrari and mclaren are 1 driver teams-as only 1 driver in each has a driver capable of good results at the moment IMO :D

but without massa's crash, ferrari would have walked to second place, to be fair.

ShiftingGears
4th October 2009, 14:15

If Ferrari were in the same situation you wouldn't be humming the same tune :D

ioan
4th October 2009, 14:28
If Ferrari were in the same situation you wouldn't be humming the same tune :D

Really? What else than bias you have to prove what you claim?

DexDexter
4th October 2009, 14:49

:) Ioan is truly back.

Steve2009
4th October 2009, 15:01
Mr Ioan untill just recently this has been a good-spirited rather light-hearted thread.
Why are you being so defensive. The financial difference is not going to break either team.
And winning third will still be the second loser ;)

ShiftingGears
4th October 2009, 15:04

Are you honestly saying you wouldn't think Ferrari securing third if they were in McLaren's position would be something you would be proud about?

Dave B
4th October 2009, 15:13

It's hardly McLaren's fault that Ferrari had such pee-poor contingency planning and consequently no halfway decent reserve driver (well okay, they do have one other good driver on their payroll, but he wasn't physically prepared to step in). That's as much a part of running a successful team as building a quick car or having a decent race strategy.

ioan
4th October 2009, 19:59
Are you honestly saying you wouldn't think Ferrari securing third if they were in McLaren's position would be something you would be proud about?

I'm just saying that I wouldn't see anything to brag about it.

It's hardly McLaren's fault that Ferrari had such pee-poor contingency planning and consequently no halfway decent reserve driver...

That I agree with. It's the attitude and tone of some fans that irked me.