PDA

View Full Version : Loeb rumors rumble on

Sonic
29th September 2009, 14:24
Seb is set to test for GP2 team DPR in a group test in preparation for a possible drive with Torro Rosso at Abu.

Should be really interesting to see his pace in relation to some young tallent, but IMO having seen how tough Luca, Luizzi, Fisi and to a lesser extent Jamie's seasons have been after stepping into a new car mid-year I can't see a possible Loeb drive going well.

Knock-on
29th September 2009, 14:42
I'm sure if they put him in the 2nd Ferrari seat for the rest of the season then he'd kick Kimi's ass as the other 2 were supposed to do :D

Mark
29th September 2009, 14:53
It would certainly make rallying more interesting without him around :p

gloomyDAY
29th September 2009, 16:02
I guess Loeb is getting sick of rallying too.

It would certainly make rallying more interesting without him around :p Oh, burn! :laugh:

Wait.................... :(

Sonic
9th October 2009, 15:19
Well the test went ahead. In the rain 18th, but 25th and last once the track was dry. Please, please, please don't get in a Torro Rosso Seb.

ShiftingGears
9th October 2009, 15:41
He ain't ready.

Saint Devote
10th October 2009, 02:56
Ready?

So much is made of Loeb - his GP2 outing says much. It also indicates that those miniature sedans - surely the most pathetic looking rally cars ever - when compared to the fanatastic Group B cars of years ago cannot in any way prepare a driver for f1.

So, Loeb is slow and he had better stick to rallying. It really is no comparison in any way to f1 or probably f3.

raybak
10th October 2009, 09:21
Saint Devote, have you ever been in a World Rally Car? Have you ever driven an open wheeler? Unless you have how can you make a comment about Loeb. He is one of the most talented drivers of this era, of any form of motorsport. Give him a few solid days of testing in an open wheeler and he will be quite competent.

You just can't compare the Group B cars to the WRC's of today. The WRC's are so much quicker yet are still quite hard to drive right on the limit. Just like a F1 car of today is quite a difficult thing to drive, especially with the muscular fitness you need for the G forces.

Ray
PS yes I have been in a World Rally car and have driven competitively in open wheelers for many years.

Sonic
10th October 2009, 09:31
I'm with Ray on this one. IMO Seb shouldn't step into an F1 car at Abu as he'd be woefully of the pace. However that doesn't mean he couldn't become decent at F1; Racing drivers of all types are able to get in any car and be pretty quick straight away, give them a week and they'll be within a few tenths per lap/km/etc. Its those last few tenths that are difficult to find (and make all the difference) which is why I'm still of the opinion that Loeb should not bother with F1 at this stage of his career, but to suggest he is a poor driver because he drive WRC is a bit much StD

jimakos
10th October 2009, 09:43
What the f**k he asks from F1 now :confused:
I can't stand watching him in WRC and now I'm obligated to do the same in F1??
Because of his age I hope to do something like Badoer and go home :mad:

TMorel
10th October 2009, 10:05
Kimi and Mika Häkkinen were both F1 drivers champs but never set the stages alight on their rally excursions so comparisons between the two are pointless.
Personally, I say good on them all for getting out of their comfort zones and trying other forms of motorsport and if you're sad enough to buy into the hype and get all wound up then more fool you.

ShiftingGears
10th October 2009, 11:35
Kimi and Mika Häkkinen were both F1 drivers champs but never set the stages alight on their rally excursions so comparisons between the two are pointless.

Raikkonen was very impressive - 3rd in his class if i remember correctly.

maximilian
10th October 2009, 15:49
Still won't do much worse than Algaesuckharry, or whatever the heck his name is...

Doon
10th October 2009, 18:47
Personally i think if a WRC driver gets out of the bottom 5 on a circuit test day, race, whatever....he's done well. Put a GP2 driver in a WRC car and it would be hard for him to finish, let alone set the stage times board alight! Those boys have been track racing for years....give Loeb a year in a GP2/F1 car and he'd be right up there!

Take the view of Martin Brundle, a decent F1 driver, he respects rally drivers so much because he actually had a go and failed on 2 Rally GB's. So the crap sedan comment was well off the mark......its like comparing football and rugby! The are all good drivers....but Seb IS something special, no question!!!!

Doon
10th October 2009, 18:49
Raikkonen was very impressive - 3rd in his class if i remember correctly.

Kimi had already done 4 rallies and alot of testing though! ...and Tommi had sat in the car and given him much tuition! But yes he is very quick in any car.

F1boat
10th October 2009, 21:10
Wasn't Loeb fast in a Le Mans Prototype? IMO if he wants closed course racing LMS is better option than F1, he will be far more competitive there.

LiamM
10th October 2009, 21:59
Isn't there a ruling this year that teams arent allowed to test with current drivers straight away (ie they have to use drivers who havent driven an F1 before or for a while) so surely it would be better for them if to put Loeb in the car in the off season so he can get more time at the wheel

Saint Devote
10th October 2009, 23:24
Saint Devote, have you ever been in a World Rally Car? Have you ever driven an open wheeler? Unless you have how can you make a comment about Loeb. He is one of the most talented drivers of this era, of any form of motorsport. Give him a few solid days of testing in an open wheeler and he will be quite competent.

You just can't compare the Group B cars to the WRC's of today. The WRC's are so much quicker yet are still quite hard to drive right on the limit. Just like a F1 car of today is quite a difficult thing to drive, especially with the muscular fitness you need for the G forces.

Ray
PS yes I have been in a World Rally car and have driven competitively in open wheelers for many years.

Let Loeb prove himself then, but until then he has shown nothing. Comparing an f1 car to the WRC cars cannot be done - they are totally different disciplines and f1 is the highest level of motor racing.

Loeb has shown no reason at all with his GP2 outing why Alguersuari should have to make way in Abu Dabi.

Saint Devote
10th October 2009, 23:39
Personally i think if a WRC driver gets out of the bottom 5 on a circuit test day, race, whatever....he's done well. Put a GP2 driver in a WRC car and it would be hard for him to finish, let alone set the stage times board alight! Those boys have been track racing for years....give Loeb a year in a GP2/F1 car and he'd be right up there!

Take the view of Martin Brundle, a decent F1 driver, he respects rally drivers so much because he actually had a go and failed on 2 Rally GB's. So the crap sedan comment was well off the mark......its like comparing football and rugby! The are all good drivers....but Seb IS something special, no question!!!!

Yes, but in this case a WRC driver being compared is a world champion, not one of, and Brundle was nowhere near that level in f1, ever.

If Loeb is that good let him try but there must be no excuses and no crying if it is demonstrated he does not make the single seater grade at the higher levels.

Saint Devote
10th October 2009, 23:44
Still won't do much worse than Algaesuckharry, or whatever the heck his name is...

His name is Jaime Alguersuari and he is a formula 1 driver - who the hell are you? Show some respect to the man :devil:

TMorel
11th October 2009, 01:36
haaahaaaahaaaa

showing respect

haaaaahaaahaaaa

oh you crack me up. that's so cute

maximilian
11th October 2009, 17:05
haaahaaaahaaaa

showing respect

haaaaahaaahaaaa

oh you crack me up. that's so cute
Indeed :p :

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 17:44
To the above TWO cracked-pots, its my pleasure :D

But I am really not THAT cute. I am a proud veteran Israeli paratrooper and rubbed up the wrong way my tempered reaction is anything but cute :s mokin:

Shalom!

DexDexter
11th October 2009, 18:09
His name is Jaime Alguersuari and he is a formula 1 driver - who the hell are you? Show some respect to the man :devil:

Can you tell me who is qualified enough to comment on most of the things here? Nobody. So let's stop writing all together since we are nobodies.

Josti
11th October 2009, 19:14

Yet, you show so little respect to drivers of different categories. :rolleyes:

ioan
11th October 2009, 19:35
To the above TWO cracked-pots...

Buy yourself a mirror.

Koz
11th October 2009, 20:14
But I am really not THAT cute. I am a proud veteran Israeli paratrooper and rubbed up the wrong way my tempered reaction is anything but cute :s mokin:

Oh! Everything makes perfect sense now!

So you jumped out of a plane, your parachute didn't open and you fell on your head?
All along I was think you were just an a$$hat. But now I understand and you have my sympathies.

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 21:19

So you jumped out of a plane, your parachute didn't open and you fell on your head?
All along I was think you were just an a$$hat. But now I understand and you have my sympathies.

:eek: :D

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 21:25

:eek: :D

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 21:29
Buy yourself a mirror.

I see besides your constant bad mood, your bitterness and vitriolic postings, you also have no sense of humor.

ioan
11th October 2009, 22:34
I see besides your constant bad mood, your bitterness and vitriolic postings, you also have no sense of humor.

I have plenty of sense of humor, obviously different from yours.
But hey we are all different, luckily I shall say. :D

ioan
11th October 2009, 22:35

:rotflmao: :up:

BDunnell
11th October 2009, 23:26
What an excellent, insightful thread this is thanks to the comments of the forum's two most reasonable, level-headed contributors.

maximilian
12th October 2009, 01:16
Hey, this is great, some one else is fighting my flame war for me... thanks :D :D

Ari
12th October 2009, 01:28
Underestimate Loeb at your own peril.

The guy would come to F1 and likely make a few mistakes but has the ability to clean up. Make no mistake of that.

He has already shown pace and understanding while testing for RBR.

macksrallye
12th October 2009, 05:02
I think what we all must realise is that the drivers in F1 & WRC have the talent to be fairly competative in the other form of motorsport. The thing that makes the big difference is that fact that rally drivers are trained to react in particular ways to the what the car underneath them is doing (as are F1 drivers) and it becomes like a 6th sense for them. As this starts from a very young age by the time they become successful in their chosen area it is very hard to break those habits/reactions & learn the new ones relevent to the other disipline. This doesn't mean they can't be quick or competative but I don't believe we will ever see an F1 & WRC champion in the one person.