09 MIKE BLISS
36 MICHAEL McDOWELL
37 KEVIN HAMLIN (1st cup attempt?)

Steve2009
2nd October 2009, 20:41
Montoya 3rd fastest in practice!

Jonesi
2nd October 2009, 23:41
Crazy old man gets his 7th pole of the year!
5 MARK MARTIN
88 DALE EARNHARDT JR
25 BRAD KESELOWSKI
26 JAMIE McMURRAY
14 TONY STEWART
9 KASEY KAHNE
87 JOE NEMECHEK
33 CLINT BOWYER
24 JEFF GORDON
82 SCOTT SPEED
--
48 JIMMIE JOHNSON
83 BRIAN VICKERS
00 DAVID REUTIMANN
42 JUAN P MONTOYA
44 AJ ALLMENDINGER
21 BILL ELLIOTT
99 CARL EDWARDS
20 JOEY L0GANO
09 MIKE BLISS
98 PAUL MENARD
--
1 MARTIN TRUEX JR
11 DENNY HAMLIN
17 MATT KENSETH
66 DAVE BLANEY
6 DAVID RAGAN
71 BOBBY LABONTE
47 MARCOS AMBROSE
43 REED SORENSON
55 MICHAEL WALTRIP
39 RYAN NEWMAN
--
16 GREG BIFFLE
12 DAVID STREMME
77 SAM HORNISH JR
18 KYLE BUSCH
31 JEFF BURTON
07 CASEY MEARS
7 ROBBY GORDON
29 KEVIN HARVICK
2 KURT BUSCH
34 JOHN ANDRETTI
--
96 ERIK DARNELL
19 ELLIOTT SADLER
13 MAX PAPIS

DNQ:
36 MICHAEL McDOWELL
37 KEVIN HAMLIN
04 DAVID GILLILAND

Mark in Oshawa
3rd October 2009, 05:40
What amazes me is Kahne being up there with the old R5 motor. Seems the old motor isn't so bad after all......

Jonesi
3rd October 2009, 08:41
What amazes me is Kahne being up there with the old R5 motor. Seems the old motor isn't so bad after all......

At some tracks it's been the equal of all the others and at other tracks it's off the pace. I think it's the power curve rather than top hp.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd October 2009, 16:02
At some tracks it's been the equal of all the others and at other tracks it's off the pace. I think it's the power curve rather than top hp.

I have heard it is something with the torque curve so a track where you can keep the momentum moving like a mile and a half cookie cutter with lots of corner will work for this motor, but I do also think I have heard the motor was down a few hp too.

I think they should have put the R6 in and let fly. Kahne is 180 odd points out at this point, he needs to run up front and win if possible if he is to have any shot in the last 8 races.

NickFalzone
4th October 2009, 01:39
I have heard it is something with the torque curve so a track where you can keep the momentum moving like a mile and a half cookie cutter with lots of corner will work for this motor, but I do also think I have heard the motor was down a few hp too.

I think they should have put the R6 in and let fly. Kahne is 180 odd points out at this point, he needs to run up front and win if possible if he is to have any shot in the last 8 races.

I agree that they should throw the hail mary and go with the R6, they gotta win SEVERAL races to still even have a shot at the championship right now. Johnson and Martin are not unbeatable, but unfortunately the only guys that pose even a decent threat right now are JPM, Stewart, and Gordon. And Montoya is the only one that seems to be up at the 5 and 48's level.

Mark in Oshawa
5th October 2009, 05:57
I agree that they should throw the hail mary and go with the R6, they gotta win SEVERAL races to still even have a shot at the championship right now. Johnson and Martin are not unbeatable, but unfortunately the only guys that pose even a decent threat right now are JPM, Stewart, and Gordon. And Montoya is the only one that seems to be up at the 5 and 48's level.

Today, Kahne did ok with that weaker motor, but the only place he was really hurt by it apparnently was on restarts. He just couldn't get going...and that may not have been an engine thing. He didn't say, but he did say he was slow getting up to speed...and I wonder if that is a gearing thing..or a traction issue.

Great job by Smoke and winning, and in the 48 finishing 9th, allowing the chase to tighten up. It is about a 5 horse race but Gordon needs to keep running well to even get close now.....

Steve2009
5th October 2009, 14:25
It is about a 5 horse race but Gordon needs to keep running well to even get close now.....I think that is a very good analysis :up:
I think Gordon is up for the challenge. JPM picks up 14 points on Martin.
If he beats Mark and JJ next weekend these guy are going to be seriously looking over their shoulders.
I think the biggest improvement that JPM has made is he is egually fast up high, or down low!

willracefan
8th October 2009, 22:48
oh please jj isnt gonna lose to bugtoya lol.