PDA

View Full Version : Teflonso

SteveA
27th September 2009, 15:54
Did I really hear Martin Brundle refer to Alonso as Teflonso during his grid-walk? ;)

UltimateDanGTR
27th September 2009, 15:57
you did indeed steve. as did i. well done that man (Brundle)

SGWilko
27th September 2009, 16:02
Well, so far nothing sticks to that guy.

As we all know however, the longer you use and abuse teflon, the more likely it is to have stuff stick to it......

Dave B
27th September 2009, 16:08
Alonso has dedicated (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78965) his Singapore podium to Flavio Briatore. At least this year is wasn't achieved through blatent cheating I guess, but it seems a bit classless to laud someone who sent a man out to fix last year's race by deliberately crashing :s

F1boat
27th September 2009, 16:32
Alonso has dedicated (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78965) his Singapore podium to Flavio Briatore. At least this year is wasn't achieved through blatent cheating I guess, but it seems a bit classless to laud someone who sent a man out to fix last year's race by deliberately crashing :s

I disagree. Flavio helped Fernando and gave him a seat in a strong team, made him race winner in 2003, world champion in 2005 and 2006 and welcomed him back in "Renault" after 2007. To me Alonso showed class when he remained supportive to his boss even after he was disgraced, unlike Hamilton, who I think didn't even visit Ron's farewell party. That was classless IMO.

Dave B
27th September 2009, 16:55
I disagree. Flavio helped Fernando and gave him a seat in a strong team, made him race winner in 2003, world champion in 2005 and 2006 and welcomed him back in "Renault" after 2007. To me Alonso showed class when he remained supportive to his boss even after he was disgraced....
Then support him in private. The fans at Singapore paid good money to watch a fixed race last year, and to bring up memories of the instigator is a slap in the face to them.

SGWilko
27th September 2009, 16:56
Ron's farewell party. That was classless IMO.

Shoot, has Ron left McLaren? When did that bombshell drop? Thought he was still heading the road car division. :bigcry:

F1boat
27th September 2009, 18:52
Then support him in private. The fans at Singapore paid good money to watch a fixed race last year, and to bring up memories of the instigator is a slap in the face to them.

Support him in private is spineless IMO. Accept that not everyone is against Flavio. To some fans, like me, Alonso was cool because of what he said. Alonso supported his friend and mentor. Kudos for him about that!

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 18:57

There has NEVER been a fixed race in f1 :D Lets not get all high and mighty - what about all those races that were fixed because Ferrari had a secret veto over the regulations?

Not a peep from anyone - but then it was the governing body in collusion with the Bernie brigade and upsetting a capricous and viscious entity such as the FIA is just not on.

And what about all the years where Shcumacher "won" races that his teammates would have, or the times when Chapman would deliberately have mechanics put extra fuel in the Peterson Lotus until the mechanics themselves revolted.

And the Flavio issue was not settled in a court it was doen by a power, the FIA.

Nobody is arguing that anyone guilty of anything go free - whoops! forgot about Nelsinho Piquet - in Flavio's case it is the severity of the punishment that is unjust just as the "immunity" given Piquet is unjust.

Unfortunately there are a lot of long knives drawn in the FIA against Briatiore and mostly, aside from Tony Dodgins, a cowardly media and so on....

F1boat
27th September 2009, 18:59
Also I want to add that fixed or not, I enjoyed last year's race tremendously.

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 19:01
Support him in private is spineless IMO. Accept that not everyone is against Flavio. To some fans, like me, Alonso was cool because of what he said. Alonso supported his friend and mentor. Kudos for him about that!

Exactly right! Well said :D

Garry Walker
27th September 2009, 21:04
There has NEVER been a fixed race in f1 :D Lets not get all high and mighty - what about all those races that were fixed because Ferrari had a secret veto over the regulations? Do elaborate on what races were fixed because of Ferrari veto power and how?

And what about all the years where Shcumacher "won" races that his teammates would have, Examples please, list at least a few. Austria 2002 we all know, but that was repaid at Indy 2002. So give me more examples, that you so obviouslly think happened in abundance.

Nobody is arguing that anyone guilty of anything go free - whoops! forgot about Nelsinho Piquet - in Flavio's case it is the severity of the punishment that is unjust just as the "immunity" given Piquet is unjust. Like talking to a wall.
Piquet was given immunity to catch the bigger and guiltier fish. Without him, no case against any of them. Nothing. Zilch.

Jag_Warrior
27th September 2009, 21:10
Well, back to the Teflonso thing, I agree with that. Here's the second cheating scandal that he's been right in the middle of. And yet he walks out of the bank, past the police, with bags of money under his arm... and not a peep said.

anthonyvop
28th September 2009, 04:21
I disagree. Flavio helped Fernando and gave him a seat in a strong team, made him race winner in 2003, world champion in 2005 and 2006 and welcomed him back in "Renault" after 2007. To me Alonso showed class when he remained supportive to his boss even after he was disgraced, unlike Hamilton, who I think didn't even visit Ron's farewell party. That was classless IMO.

Fernando Alonso: A great driver and a true gentleman.

It would have been easy to disavow his friend and mentor but he did what he knew was right.
From a PR standpoint I am sure most would disagree but Alonso has garnered more of my respect in my book.

Steve2009
29th September 2009, 17:05

It would have been easy to disavow his friend and mentor but he did what he knew was right.
From a PR standpoint I am sure most would disagree but Alonso has garnered more of my respect in my book.
Well stated Mr VOP

ArrowsFA1
30th September 2009, 09:43
Examples please, list at least a few. Austria 2002 we all know, but that was repaid at Indy 2002.
That makes me chuckle. Correcting one wrong with another does not cancel both out.

ioan
1st October 2009, 08:05
Also I want to add that fixed or not, I enjoyed last year's race tremendously.

I guess you already told this countless times.

ioan
1st October 2009, 08:07
That makes me chuckle. Correcting one wrong with another does not cancel both out.

I guess it depends on one's POV.
I could find something criticize for any driver in any race, but is it worth the hassle?

F1boat
1st October 2009, 10:11

So it's OK to bash it endlessly, but if you are happy, is bad to repeat yourself?

Saint Devote
1st October 2009, 10:39

Your complaining and finger pointing is something that YOU do "countless times" as well. So your crochety type of message to the poster is the pot calling the kettle black.

In fact moaning and grumbling and being bent all out of shape is YOUR specialty on this board and probably constitutes most the gazillion messages you have posted without saying anything at all.

F1boat
1st October 2009, 10:44
It is pointless, St. Devote. No matter how many insults ioan throws on fellow members, no matter how spam messages, no matter pointless and venomous remarks, he will stay here.

Dave B
1st October 2009, 10:44
Teflioan.

F1boat
1st October 2009, 10:46
And now we'll be the bad guys, mark my word, Dave...

Saint Devote
1st October 2009, 10:51

Public relations is the antithesis of its name because it involves engineering the truth. The arrival of PR coincided with that of the auto manufacturers who have think that motor racing fans are stupid.

It is about time, in agreement here with Jax NewHouse, that the drivers acted like men and refused to bow to political speak.

Of course it will not happen.

Knock-on
1st October 2009, 11:03
Teflioan.

:laugh:

Classic :D

Garry Walker
3rd October 2009, 16:48

So I am still waiting for those many examples from our resident mr.intelligent, saint devote.