PDA

View Full Version : Has Montezemolo let the cat out of the bag? Alonso to Ferrari part-confirmation?

Giuseppe F1
25th September 2009, 15:46
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090925102842.shtml

Contracts can be broken admits Raikkonen’s manager
25/09/09 10:28

The signs are increasing that Kimi Raikkonen is set to leave Ferrari after November's 2009 season finale.

The Finn remains under contract for the 2010 season, but it is believed that the Italian team would prefer Fernando Alonso to be Felipe Massa's team-mate next year.

Previously, when asked about the rumours, Raikkonen would wearily refer only to his contract, and even the headline of an interview with F1's official website on Thursday insisted that Kimi is "fully committed to Ferrari for 2010".

But to the Finnish broadcaster MTV3 on the same day, Raikkonen acknowledged that the agreement alone "does not mean that I will drive next year for Ferrari."

"Perhaps they want to talk about something," he added.

Raikkonen's manager Steve Robertson added: "Kimi has a contract with Ferrari, but as everyone knows, contracts can be broken.

"We are talking with Ferrari but we are also listening out for other offers," he admitted. "At the moment we do not know 100% that Kimi will stay with Ferrari.
"

Moreover, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo now rarely mentions the name of the team's Finnish driver, and on Thursday the Italian came tantalisingly close to letting the cat out of the bag.

Speaking with Spanish reporters at an event in Madrid, he said in a video posted on the website of the sports newspaper Marca: "We are very happy about having so many fans in Spain, and next year, with Alonso..."

Montezemolo stopped himself, laughed, and pointed a finger at the similarly-amused ranks of pressmen.

Later, he said: "I can confirm that Massa will be the first driver, and the third driver will be Giancarlo Fisichella.

"After Singapore, Stefano Domenicali and I will meet and decide who will be (in the) second car. Soon we will make the announcement," said Montezemolo.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

ioan
25th September 2009, 15:59
Yep.
This was one of the worst guarded secrets in F1. His arrival to Ferrari was obvious one year in advance, his demise too.

veeten
25th September 2009, 16:01
And ths was discussed during the 2nd Practice in Singapore by the Speed TV race broadcasters. It's looking more and more like Kimi's contract will be dust, Alonso will be #2, and that will be the end of it.

The real question will be: Who will Kimi sign with for '10?

Giuseppe F1
25th September 2009, 16:09
The real question will be: Who will Kimi sign with for '10?

Can only be McLaren IMO

Giuseppe F1
25th September 2009, 16:15
Heres the video:

http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1.html?a=5d134d80511019aece750b7576f850f0&t=1253891442

Look at the right of the page and theres a video link, its the second video!

I am evil Homer
25th September 2009, 16:33
Not exactly a classy move but seemingly confirmation of what everyone expected. I agree that really Kimi's best option in McLaren.....Toyota would be a huge error.

Sonic
25th September 2009, 16:40
Its a shame for Kimi as he has been on cracking form recently but perhaps that's the whole reason for the need to change. Kimi is too unpredictable regarding his pace. Some weeks he's on it, others not. Alonso if nothing else will always be in the mix.

I'd be interested to see how Massa and Alonso work together.

ioan
25th September 2009, 17:09
Not exactly a classy move ...

I wouldn't call it that.
As far as I know it has been reported in the Italian media that Ferrari were not happy with Kimi already last year but he decided to take up a clause in his contract that allowed him to prolong his contract with Ferrari until the end of 2010.
What is even more interesting is that the said clause was not based on his own performance but on the team performance so even though he was underperforming he had the possibility to say I want to have my contract extended until the end of 2010.
This move was probably orchestrated by his manager who saw the possibility to make money out of Kimi being ousted by Ferrari and I suppose that Ferrari didn't appreciate the situation back than and they do have even less simpatico for Kimi and his management team right now.

Ferrari will probably pay out his whole contract if needed.

emporer_k
25th September 2009, 17:44
I wish they'd just get on and announce it.

donKey jote
25th September 2009, 17:51
Fact is they might announce it after Singapore ;) :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

gloomyDAY
25th September 2009, 17:59
Ferrari will probably pay out his whole contract if needed.Well someone is getting a new boat in the off-season.

ioan
25th September 2009, 18:06

:D ;)

keysersoze
25th September 2009, 19:52

Fact is . . . they might? :confused:

Let me try that in another context:

"The FACT is my wife and I MIGHT go out to a Mexican restaurant tonight."

Well, I GUESS that could make sense. :dozey:

Robinho
25th September 2009, 20:22

you should have the Enchiladas ;)

donKey jote
25th September 2009, 20:39

:arrows:
:laugh:
:dozey:
:D

ioan
25th September 2009, 20:43

He was kidding. ;)

donKey jote
25th September 2009, 21:04
so was I, hence the final :D
;)
:laugh:
:andrea:

Koz
25th September 2009, 21:37
What do they mean Fisi will be the third driver?
As a backup they have now? Or will they run 3 cars?

Sonic
25th September 2009, 21:58
They do seem intent on 3 cars don't they?

Koz
25th September 2009, 22:12
Frank Williams will not be happy and he'll do everything to stop 3 cars. :s mokin:

ioan
25th September 2009, 23:51
Frank Williams will not be happy and he'll do everything to stop 3 cars. :s mokin:

First he'll need an engine for his cars, maybe even a competitive engine. Guess where can he get one?

passmeatissue
26th September 2009, 00:31
First he'll need an engine for his cars, maybe even a competitive engine. Guess where can he get one?

From a manufacturer who'll let him compete fairly with them ;)

Forget 3 cars, not going to happen, and forget MS coming back to be humiliated, he's done the test and smelled the coffee.

ioan
26th September 2009, 00:39
From a manufacturer who'll let him compete fairly with them ;)

Forget 3 cars, not going to happen, and forget MS coming back to be humiliated, he's done the test and smelled the coffee.

Not sure what this all has to do with MS.
If there will be 3 cars it will be to have young drivers that need to find their foot in F1.

And BTW a good engine for Williams will only be from one of the big manufacturers, you know those who want to run 3 car teams. ;)

passmeatissue
26th September 2009, 00:50
If there will be 3 cars it will be to have young drivers that need to find their foot in F1.

And BTW a good engine for Williams will only be from one of the big manufacturers, you know those who want to run 3 car teams. ;)

Give us a quote from someone else besides Ferrari then :laugh:

Monte wants a third car for MS, family values in his head atm, no-one else is interested.

Koz
26th September 2009, 04:24

Renault? :D

Who other than Ferrari want to run three cars?

And if they do run three cars, will everyone else have to run three cars? That would be a horror for all involved.

UltimateDanGTR
26th September 2009, 08:18
alonso and massa is a dead cert for next year at Ferrari IMO. I think they could move kimi to the new sauber team, with alot of ferrari backing and help going there, including engines, to make what would virtually be a ferrari b team. this would seem logical.

ioan
26th September 2009, 12:20
Who other than Ferrari want to run three cars?

Most probably McLaren and Toyota would be happy to have this chance. Renault will probably look into it too as it is a good chance for getting more advertisement and having young drivers tested.

Anyway none of the FOTA teams spoke against it, but Williams who is using it as a bargaining tool, like always.