PDA

View Full Version : Are motorsport fans only fans of guitar music?

wedge
22nd September 2009, 00:25
I enjoy indie/rock but also jazz, soul/funk, leftfield music, various forms of dance/electronic music, non-mainstream hip hop and so forth

Am I the only guy on this forum who has a very eclectic taste in music?

harvick#1
22nd September 2009, 03:15
I'll stick to rock,

dance/electro just seems to be the exact same beat with different lyrics and they ruin a bunch of great songs by doing remixes of them.

I do listen to anything, but I prefer to stick to mainly rock when I have a choice

Rudy Tamasz
22nd September 2009, 07:40
I started with hard rock when I was about fourteen years old and it's still close to half of all the music I listen to. But over the years I expanded my tastes to softer forms of rock and also jazz and funk. It was made easier by the fact that many funk and jazz bands feature guitars. But yesterday I enjoyed the whole CD of Dave Holland's big band, which only has horns and keyboards in addition to the rthythm section.

Oh yeah, and the glorious synth pop of the eighties, where some bands proudly displayed guitars on stage but you could hear only synthesizers! I still listen to that a bit, recalling my school memories. :)

BeansBeansBeans
22nd September 2009, 08:41
Music and motorsport don't seem to mix. The soundtrack to any televised motorsport is usually dire (the crown goes to Eurosport's WTCC coverage) and most motorsport fans listen to godawful widdly nonsense like Muse.

Storm
22nd September 2009, 09:13
I mainly stick to different forms of rock/metal music although I do listen (or have listened) to all forms of music ranging from Western to Indian Classical but I guess the "guitar" is indeed the most important factor in music to me.

MrJan
22nd September 2009, 09:55
Am I the only guy on this forum who has a very eclectic taste in music?

No :p : My last.fm profile shows this lot as my top artists:

1 Buck 65
2 Orchestra Baobab
3 Daft Punk
4 Radiohead
5 The Prodigy
6 Muse
7 Half Man Half Biscuit
8 Pink Floyd
9 Dreadzone
10 Major Lazer
10 Coldplay
12 Flight of the Conchords
13 RJD2
14 Jimi Hendrix
15 DJ Signify

and these as my top tracks:

1 Nawfel – Why Can't We Live Together
2 Neil Young – Cortez the Killer
3 7 Seconds Of Love – Love Me Like You Used To full track
3 The Who – Eminence Front full track
5 Buckwheat Zydeco – I'm on the Wonder
6 Radiohead – Fake Plastic Trees full track
6 Robert Cray – I Wonder
8 Daft Punk – Robot Rock / Oh Yeah (Live)
8 Beau Jocque – What Ya Gonna Do
8 DJ Signify – Winter's Going Featuring Buck 65
8 La Roux – In For The Kill (Skream's Let's Get Ravey Remix)
8 Flight of the Conchords – If You're Into It
13 LeeDM101 – Super Massive Black Lamb
13 Buck 65 – Riverbed 4
15 Muse – Map of the Problematique

At the moment though my favourite track is probably a mix that was on a Mark Lamarr show of Gun Fever by Pablo Gad with the Martin Luther King 'I Have a Dream' speech over the top :up: Well into my reggae at the minute but also starting to listen to more Dubstep and the sort of stuff Annie Mac plays on a Friday :)

Sleeper
22nd September 2009, 11:51
The more "out there" forms of rock/metal are definitely for me but I also like a fair bit of jazz and classical (mainly 20th century). I am very picky though, as Muse, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the only commercially succesful acts I'll listen to as I cant stand indie, rap, R&B, dance and pop music.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd September 2009, 13:52
Music and motorsport don't seem to mix. The soundtrack to any televised motorsport is usually dire (the crown goes to Eurosport's WTCC coverage) and most motorsport fans listen to godawful widdly nonsense like Muse.

:eek: You may have to be added to my ignore list.

I am very much into all types of music. If you search through my CD collection you will find artists ranging from La Roux, to Led Zeppelin, to Beethoven.

When it comes to guitar music I like anything that utilizes the full potential of the instrument, e.g. Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrix, Matt Bellamy (Muse) :p I can't really get into most of the indie bands because all they ever play are barre chords.

Piano music is my favourite though. A piano has far much more potential and power than a guitar. Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy and Rachmaninov are the best.

MrJan
22nd September 2009, 16:02
I like Matt Bellamy and Muse but his name shouldn't be alongside Page and Hendrix.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd September 2009, 16:08
I like Matt Bellamy and Muse but his name shouldn't be alongside Page and Hendrix.

Did it to deliberately annoy beansbeansbeans :p

Wade91
22nd September 2009, 16:20
i like pop/rock music,

i like artists/bands such as: Avril Lavigne, Paramore, Hey Monday, Linkin Park, Cobra Starship, The Veronicas, Kelly Clarkson, etc......

harsha
22nd September 2009, 16:27
Genre's not that big for me...but I'm a big fan of guitar oriented music alright...

huge fan of prog rock,hard rock - heavy metal,guitar oriented jazz,blues...

pino
22nd September 2009, 16:42
I love all types of music but prefere hard-rock music from Pink Floyd, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits etc..etc.. and when I get tired of that I switch to modern Jazz (Weather Report, Herbie Hancock, Bob James, Chick Corea) Finally my fave instruments are Guitar, Flute and Saxophone :s mokin:

F1boat
22nd September 2009, 17:43
I can listen everything.

Hazell B
22nd September 2009, 18:12
Much as I like my rock, I'm a Classic FM listener for the most part. Motorsport fans like anything, just like everyone else.

slinkster
22nd September 2009, 19:50
I like lots of music for lots of different moods. I don't think I've ever noticed a trend towards guitar music here, or with motorsport fans. You always get a very mixed crowd at events- not that you can judge purely on the look of people of course ;)

Sleeper
23rd September 2009, 11:48
You know, I've never understood the fuss over Jimmy Page, good guitarist but not great, I could real of a list of guitarists from just the 70's that were much better than him.