PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye rap ?!??

A.F.F.
21st September 2009, 21:11
Anybody watched VMA's last week? Well, I did and I was glad to notice that there weren't but one rapper on stage performing. Could it be that mainstream FINALLY wants something different than hip hop or rap ??? I have waited and waited for rock to raise it's head... please let this be the turning point.

Azumanga Davo
21st September 2009, 21:16
The trend at the moment is to have European dance producers feature in your songs, so that's changed mainstream for the moment.

Plus I guess there's only so many money, drug, alcohol and turf violence they can rap about. :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
21st September 2009, 21:27
Hip hop is still very much in the mainstream. Just listen to the radio or look at the single charts. But there is a trend for dance producers colaborating with hiphop stars. Dizzee Rascals lastest work is an example of this.

Rock still rules the album charts though. The latest album from Muse (The Resistance) came out last week and outsold the next top 5 albums combined sales!

A.F.F.
21st September 2009, 21:37
Muse especially was great at the VMA's.

Anybody know the name of that song their performed?

BeansBeansBeans
21st September 2009, 21:42
Muse especially was great at the VMA's.

Anybody know the name of that song their performed?

Cosmic Undulations Above the Skies of Valhalla

Brown, Jon Brow
21st September 2009, 21:49
Cosmic Undulations Above the Skies of Valhalla

:laugh:

I've not seen the performance but i'm guessing they either played Uprising, The Resistance or United States of Eurasia.

A.F.F.
21st September 2009, 21:57
Uprising it was. Great song indeed.

Daniel
21st September 2009, 22:45
I hope you're right AFF

Mark in Oshawa
21st September 2009, 22:53
Rap dead? we can only hope so....

wedge
22nd September 2009, 00:20
Hip hop is still very much in the mainstream. Just listen to the radio or look at the single charts. But there is a trend for dance producers colaborating with hiphop stars. Dizzee Rascals lastest work is an example of this.

Dizzee is a sell out. He wants to be pop.

Mark
22nd September 2009, 09:48
Dizzee is a sell out. He wants to be pop.

So what? I get very tired of people saying music has to exist inside a little box and should never stray outside of that. If Mr. Rascal wishes to cross over to another genere in his music, then good luck to him.

BDunnell
22nd September 2009, 09:54
So what? I get very tired of people saying music has to exist inside a little box and should never stray outside of that.

Quite right. Although I do look forward to the day when Cliff Richard exists inside a little box.

Daniel
22nd September 2009, 10:12
So what? I get very tired of people saying music has to exist inside a little box and should never stray outside of that. If Mr. Rascal wishes to cross over to another genere in his music, then good luck to him.
I think that's a load of rubbish. Sure a litle bit of a crossover is great but when an artist starts mixing incompatible stuff or trying to mix it too much then it just becomes crap. It's like Porsche making an SUV or something ridiculous like that.

BDunnell
22nd September 2009, 10:15
I think that's a load of rubbish. Sure a litle bit of a crossover is great but when an artist starts mixing incompatible stuff or trying to mix it too much then it just becomes crap.

But they are perfectly within their rights to do so. And why does this only apply to music? You don't hear people saying 'comedy writers should never write drama', do you?

BeansBeansBeans
22nd September 2009, 10:20
Dizzee Rascal has a great voice. I loved that single he did with Calvin Harris.

Eki
22nd September 2009, 10:54
FkG31SiTERI

Sleeper
22nd September 2009, 11:55
The difference is whether he's doing it for artistic reasons or whether he's doing it just to appeal to a wider audiance and make more money. The former tends to lead to some great music, the latter to some banel dross.

BeansBeansBeans
22nd September 2009, 12:06
The difference is whether he's doing it for artistic reasons or whether he's doing it just to appeal to a wider audiance and make more money. The former tends to lead to some great music, the latter to some banel dross.

I used to feel the same way when I was younger, but not now. Some of the best music of all-time has been written to appeal to a mass market. Holland / Dozier / Holland, Bacharach & David, Lennon & McCartney. None of those guys were 'keeping it real, man'.

wedge
22nd September 2009, 13:56

Exactly

Quite frankly, Dizzee Rascal's rapping has been mediocre by his standards from earlier work.

Eminem and Jay Z still top of their game with great beats and rhymes and still have mainstream appeal.

U2 have been boring for over decade, the Stones have not done anything of interest since the 70s.

I used to feel the same way when I was younger, but not now. Some of the best music of all-time has been written to appeal to a mass market. Holland / Dozier / Holland, Bacharach & David, Lennon &
Spector is one of the greatest influential producers of all time.

Beatles were very clever. They doing things way ahead of their time, experimental songs and yet still not alienate their huge fan base - Revolver being a brilliant example. McCartney. None of those guys were 'keeping it real, man'.

Bacharach wrote terrific pop tunes

Spector is one of the greatest influential producers of all time.

Beatles were very clever. They doing things way ahead of their time, experimental songs and yet still not alienate their huge fan base - Revolver being a brilliant example.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd September 2009, 13:57
This made me giggle.

When Britney Spears, pop's biggest star, insists on lip-synching her way across the world, you could be forgiven for thinking all our music icons are cowards who can't sing live. Not the case with Muse, judging by their appearance on Italian TV show "Quelli Che Il Calcio" recently, where they were apparently asked to mime their new single, "Uprising". The band were so outraged by the request that they decided to play a practical joke on producers.

Drummer Dom Howard was sent out to front the group and do "vocals", while singer Matt Bellamy took over stick duties. The comical results can be seen below, alongside the subsequent interview with the show's glamorous host, who makes it clear she has no clue who is actually in Muse, as Howard plays his frontman role to perfection while she blunders through question after question and an interpreter booms the responses in the background. Surely not even Fearne Cotton could make such a monumental blunder?

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/touchingthevoid/8233/muse-fool-italian-tv/

schmenke
22nd September 2009, 14:30
... the Stones have not done anything of interest since the 70s....

You're not seriously expecting the Stones to continue to produce albums in similar quantities to what they were doing in the 60's and 70's? :s

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd September 2009, 14:33
You're not seriously expecting the Stones to continue to produce albums in similar quantities to what they were doing in the 60's and 70's? :s

They haven't tried to progress though. The same can be said about AC/DC. They've stuck to the same formula for every album and it has become a little bit samey/boring.

schmenke
22nd September 2009, 14:43
They haven't tried to progress though. ....

:s hock:

The band members' are all +60 years old. Their career has spanned 5 decades. Their music has been ground-breaking and their success is by what all subsequent rock performers are judged. They have earned the respect to take their music into whichever direction they want.

And you lot are moaning...?! :s

Daniel
22nd September 2009, 14:55
They haven't tried to progress though. The same can be said about AC/DC. They've stuck to the same formula for every album and it has become a little bit samey/boring.
Sometimes music is what it is. When I listen to AC/DC I don't want them to develop or progress. The music they've been making since day dot has been great :)

A.F.F.
22nd September 2009, 15:29
I agree. AC/DC is a kind of band I don't expect them to change.

U2 however is different. Today I expect them to change. And with change I mean to produce good music for a change. :mozey:

wedge
22nd September 2009, 15:29
Sometimes music is what it is. When I listen to AC/DC I don't want them to develop or progress. The music they've been making since day dot has been great :)

I must admit Oasis are a slight guilty pleasure but I just can't help thinking things would've been so much better had they released the Death in Vegas co-produced album.

Amorphous Androgynous remix of 'Falling Down' is the sort of stuff Oasis should've attempted instead of a decade of MOR rock n roll.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd September 2009, 15:35
:s hock:

The band members' are all +60 years old. Their career has spanned 5 decades. Their music has been ground-breaking and their success is by what all subsequent rock performers are judged. They have earned the respect to take their music into whichever direction they want.

And you lot are moaning...?! :s

My point is that The Rolling Stones could have stopped making 'new' material 25 years ago and they still would be just as big and well known as they are now. Look at Led Zeppelin, they are bigger than ever.

I'd just prefer to listen to an AC/DC greatest hits compilation rather than their new stuff.

harsha
22nd September 2009, 16:28
I'd just prefer to listen to an AC/DC greatest hits compilation rather than their new stuff.

what greatest hits,all the songs of AC/DC sound the same to me

Mark in Oshawa
22nd September 2009, 23:12
When it comes to any band, sooner or later they realize they cannot have as much success with ground breaking stuff as they did with their standard sound. AC/DC figured it out after 2 albums, U2 hasn't figured it out yet, and to their credit have done a pretty good job changing without losing their old fans, and in the case of the Stones...well they really cannot change...

I am of the opinion, most bands really only have about 4 good albums in them....

as for Rap, it must be dead...we are talking rock...but that could be a function of our age...

wedge
23rd September 2009, 00:04
My point is that The Rolling Stones could have stopped making 'new' material 25 years ago and they still would be just as big and well known as they are now. Look at Led Zeppelin, they are bigger than ever.

Zep split at the right time.

Robert Plant has superb career post Zep. He could've lived with pay checks with stadium MOR rock if he wanted to but has sought to refreshen himself.
Dabbled with hard rock to folk and now bluegrass with critical acclaim with Alisson Krauss.

Garry Walker
23rd September 2009, 20:37
RAP=retards attempting poetry.

Sleeper
23rd September 2009, 22:10

Steve Hackett is still producing excellent albums now, 38 years after he joined Genesis. And the same will efinitely be said about King Crimson, if and when Robert Fripp decides that its time to record a new album.

There are a lot of artists and bands that can and do create new and inovative music, 30 odd years after they started. They just dont tend to appeal to the mainstream music fan.

schmenke
23rd September 2009, 22:22
Steve Hackett is still producing excellent albums now, 38 years after he joined Genesis. And the same will efinitely be said about King Crimson, if and when Robert Fripp decides that its time to record a new album.

There are a lot of artists and bands that can and do create new and inovative music, 30 odd years after they started. They just dont tend to appeal to the mainstream music fan.

That is exactly my point. Expectations of a band who has had huge success in the past shouldn't necessarily be to continually produce "fan-favourite" music. They have had their limelight and may want to now take their music in a different direction, possibley alienating a part of their previous fan-base.

BTW, I haven't heard much from Steve Hackett recently. Is he still actively recording? (I was once a HUGE Genesis fan :) )

Sleeper
24th September 2009, 22:10
That is exactly my point. Expectations of a band who has had huge success in the past shouldn't necessarily be to continually produce "fan-favourite" music. They have had their limelight and may want to now take their music in a different direction, possibley alienating a part of their previous fan-base.

BTW, I haven't heard much from Steve Hackett recently. Is he still actively recording? (I was once a HUGE Genesis fan :) )
He has a new album, Out of the Tunnels Mouth, out in a couple of weeks and I'll be seeing him about a week after that in his first electric band performance in the UK for 5 years. He seems to have a new album out every two years, sometimes quicker than that.

ShiftingGears
25th September 2009, 04:16

A little bit similar? Quite an understatement :p :

I'm sick to death of people saying we've made 11 albums that sounds exactly the same, Infact, we've made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.

harsha
25th September 2009, 07:49
He has a new album, Out of the Tunnels Mouth, out in a couple of weeks and I'll be seeing him about a week after that in his first electric band performance in the UK for 5 years. He seems to have a new album out every two years, sometimes quicker than that.

yeah,really looking forward to Hackett's releases...

and I don't think you can compare Hackett,Fripp et all to the conventional more mainstream rock/metal acts

Sleeper
25th September 2009, 13:29
^Well, no, you've got a point there.