PDA

View Full Version : More Road Courses

Roamy
19th September 2009, 07:11
Well ya all know I am new here but have been a member of the forum for years..

I also admit that I am watching NASCAR now that Juan, Speed, JV once in a while and perhaps Danica are now racing here. So I would like to see a greater balance of road courses and ovals. Also I vote for run in the rain with Rain tires on road courses.

But I have to say running 200 mph 3 abreast is getting pretty damn exciting.

What say all you regulars about more road courses???

Thanks

steve_spackman
19th September 2009, 08:12

I also admit that I am watching NASCAR now that Juan, Speed, JV once in a while and perhaps Danica are now racing here. So I would like to see a greater balance of road courses and ovals. Also I vote for run in the rain with Rain tires on road courses.

Thanks

No
Abilty
Save
Cornering
Around
Repeatedly

Before people get upset it, just messing around..

Sure more road races would make it more exciting

cgs
19th September 2009, 10:18
no. ovals are much more interesting, except perhaps Pocono!

harvick#1
19th September 2009, 16:05
Pocono went to crap when Nascar changed the gear rule.

but your preaching to the choir, alot of us here have been wanting more road courses for years.

but there are not that many road courses that could not hold 43 cars on pitroad.

I'd like to see Nascar run at Miller Motorsport Park

Jonesi
19th September 2009, 20:16
There's been several threads on this here. Most posters would like to see another road race or two. Portland is frequently mentioned, also classic mid west courses of RA & Mid-Ohio as well as the newer Miller & VIR.

philipbain
20th September 2009, 16:50
NASCAR at Road America would be ace, the track would suit the cars too, generally fast and flowing, Road Atlanta would also be a great venue for NASCAR. A road course in the chase would be nice, to give more variety and make diversity in driving skills count for the championship. Space could easily be found in the schedule by eliminating repeated visits to the same venues, I think that the only places that should get 2 visits a year are Daytona & Talladega, simply because of the nature of the venues as they are the only restrictor plate tracks out there.

Shifter
20th September 2009, 21:12
I've personally been to Mid-Ohio, forget it, too tight, half the race would be under caution. I think us road-course fans' best hope is actual Montreal, by the looks of NASCAR'S insistance that the Busch cars run rain tires there when it gets wet instead of calling the end of the race off. Road Atlanta would work too, if there's enough grandstands? Are there?

race aficionado
21st September 2009, 02:23

Thanks

Yep fousto, it's darn exciting. These guys are nuts and Juan is now back to his old racing and take no prisoners attitude.

I really enjoy the road races with these heavy big fast cars.

If Nascar is happy with only 2 road courses before the Chase starts, they should then add another one for the Chase.
:s mokin:

call_me_andrew
21st September 2009, 03:09
I think we had a thread about this last month. 99% of regulars here favor more road races.

Mark in Oshawa
21st September 2009, 05:50
You guys of course miss the whole reason NASCAR races on road courses. It isn't to give the drivers a new challenge. It is because in a couple of key markets that NASCAR wanted to serve, there was no appropriate oval available, and there was a road course. Actually, the key market is the Bay area and that is why Infineon has been part of NASCAR for the last 20 years. The Glen was added because it isn't economical for the teams to build a car for just one race a year on a road course, so a second race was always part of the sched. NASCAR is an oval racing series. I wish they ran road courses more often, don't get me wrong, but you forget they don't do this road course thing to fill any agenda of making the boys turn right, they do it to be in that Bay area market, which until Fontana came along, replaced Riverside as the only race in the west.

Would Road America work? Yup...but they don't have a garage setup. Cup venues for the most part have garages of some form for all the teams. A pit lane with 43 boxes is required also. That would put a few tracks into heavy retro fit mode and would kill any shot of a street course making the sched.

Montreal is too tight in the complex of curves after the start finish, and I think over time, you might see NASCAR move the starts back up track before the pit area if they can figure a way of doing it. The original start/finish and pits at Montreal were back by the north hairpin and I wonder if NASCAR might look at doing the restarts back up there to spread the cars up before the demolition derby that is the first 3 curves.

They wanted to race in Canada by the way, but Montreal was the only track with the infrastructure to make it happen. If the proposed oval for Niagara Falls/St. Catharines/Fort Erie area was built, Montreal would have never seen that race.

NASCAR isn't into roadcourses, and I doubt we will see one in the chase. The role they play in determining who gets into the chase tho, does mean they do have an influence on the champion.

I want another roadcourse in Cup, and if there is one, it likely will be in Montreal, but that is to really take advantage of a great attraction that has been built there, and to tap the Canadian market, not because Mike Helton, David Houts and Brian France all the sudden love road courses.

Roamy
21st September 2009, 17:50
Yep fousto, it's darn exciting. These guys are nuts and Juan is now back to his old racing and take no prisoners attitude.

I really enjoy the road races with these heavy big fast cars.

If Nascar is happy with only 2 road courses before the Chase starts, they should then add another one for the Chase.
:s mokin:

yep add Laguna !!

call_me_andrew
22nd September 2009, 05:05
Laguna is just down the road from Sears Point. Bruton Smith would never let them have a Cup date.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd September 2009, 00:07
Andrew, it must be also said there is no logical reason for NASCAR to run there.

It is just like the mentality of having 2 races at Rockingham, 2 at North Wilkesboro and 2 at Charlotte. As the sport grew, it made ZERO sense to saturate the Charlotte area market with 6 races when the had fans in Chicago, the Midwest and the North east to bring into the sport.....

call_me_andrew
23rd September 2009, 03:20
California is a much bigger market than North Carolina.

wedge
24th September 2009, 12:26
California is a much bigger market than North Carolina.

Either NASCAR are dumb or uncompromising because California Speedway has been a tough place to fill in recent years when it had 2 races a year.

jeffmr2
24th September 2009, 19:44
Switch to the road course at Indy or Pocono,they are 2 of the duller races during the season.

Jonesi
24th September 2009, 20:32
Either NASCAR are dumb or uncompromising because California Speedway has been a tough place to fill in recent years when it had 2 races a year.

Up until this year the track had dates in the two worst times of year for the area. Middle of the rainy season and tail end of hot summers. The new mid October date should help.