PDA

View Full Version : Too Much being made of Renault anitcs...

Hondo
18th September 2009, 17:41
I really think way too much is being made of these "F1 scandals". Especially when the conditions of the competition are a factor in their cause. When you force each team to field 2 drivers, sooner or later that internal competition is going to cause problems. I also don't think anbody involved with team management should also be allowed to act as an active driver's agent. By active driver I mean one currently racing in F1 or one seeking a seat in F1. Too much conflict there.

I have been told teams have to field 2 cars because there is not enough paddock space at most venues for 20 or more teams to set up and run cars from. Maybe so, I don't know. F1 always comes back to the teams. The team provides the hardware, the teams for the most part hustle up the sponsors, and the teams decide who drives and why they drive. Bernie sells the product the teams produce to TV and venues and Max and the FIA fine the teams when they need "walkin around money". The Constructor's Championship is the only thing that matters to the profitability of the team and I don't have any problem with the teams manipulating events within their teams to obtain a result that is better for the team. If I had a driver that was capable of chasing the down the field caught behind my other driver that was slower, but not easy to pass, I'd order the slower guy to allow the pass immediately. Don't like it? Drive faster.

I don't see the Renault incident as race fixing. To me, race fixing would be an act that guarantees a certain outcome. Renault's ploy improved Alonso's position immediately but there was still a whole lot of race left and we have all seen many "sure things" go wrong in a very short period of time in F1. Although a one car accident is kind of expensive and extreme, it has probably been done before by men that would honor a deal and keep their mouths shut. I have a feeling when Rubens finally retires, he is going to write a hell of a book.

Maybe instead of getting flared up over these silly incidences, the FIA should do a better job of closing loopholes within their rules, write better rules for things like safety car periods, and quit throwing gasoline on fires they started like "no team orders" on the situations they created, that require a team order from time to time.

Maybe the best solution is to acknowledge F1 as a team sport and make the Driver's Championship a split award, bestowed equally upon the drivers of the team that won the Constructors Championship.

tinchote
18th September 2009, 17:58
:up:

donKey jote
18th September 2009, 19:21
hey tin how goes it :wave:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

F1boat
18th September 2009, 21:35
I agree. People who are vipers play the role of puritans. Preposterous.

Sleeper
18th September 2009, 23:48
Oh, theres no doubt about it that these "scandals" keep getting blown up out of proportion, but its the fault of the FIA and whoever in there keeps making those partial leaks to the press. Look at last thursday before the GP, not everything that was in Piquet's statement was leaked to the press, just the stuff that looked particularly damning without the rest, resulting in a media trial.

Oh, and the CC is very important to get TV money but its always been a case of the DC being the big selling point to sponsors as thats what the majority of the public take interest in.

Valve Bounce
19th September 2009, 00:12
I agree. People who are vipers play the role of puritans. Preposterous.

Absolutely. Why not just fix races, (but let me in on the secret) so that I can bet on the fixed results too!

BDunnell
19th September 2009, 00:22
As I remarked in another thread, this does beg the question of how many motor races have been fixed without it being found out, given the apparent relative simplicity of doing so unless someone blows the whistle.

As an enthusiast, though, I would prefer it if teams desisted from actual race-fixing.

Valve Bounce
19th September 2009, 00:56
As I remarked in another thread, this does beg the question of how many motor races have been fixed without it being found out, given the apparent relative simplicity of doing so unless someone blows the whistle.

As an enthusiast, though, I would prefer it if teams desisted from actual race-fixing.

Ordering team mates to "pull over" is one thing, but contriving a convoluted scheme which involves fuel loads and refueling strategies, and then getting a team mate to crash his car into the wall at a specific location on a certain lap so that it cannot be retrieved by a crane or wheeled away in order to get the Safety Car deployed is something else.

Of course, the most obvious way is to get a team mate to crash into a leader is another way, but that alone may not ensure victory. Pat Symonds plan was foolproof, and produced a sure win for Alonso. " Foolproof?" did I say? Well, they didn't allow for Sleazy Flav firing the fool driver, that was the problem.

But yeah!! why not just give Renault, Sleazy Flav and Pat Symonds a slap on the wrist, and make them promise to let Bernie know before hand next time. Now that's fair!!

CNR
19th September 2009, 01:48
http://www.canada.com/Piquet+senior+raised+concerns+over+Singapore+Grand +Prix+last+year+report/2009315/story.html

"Anyway, in Brazil I talk to Charlie," he continued.
"I got him and said ’Look what could happen to Nelson if I bring this up? And I was afraid to screw up the career of Nelson."
Piquet added later: "In the race in Brazil I called Charlie and I told the whole story to Charlie."

i think the whole lot needs looking it right down to the fia

tec4
20th September 2009, 01:35
This all sounds like a very bad movie script written by addicts.

Balancing the current consequence to enable Alonso to win a single race? does not compute -- perhaps deserving unbelivable actions like PiquetJR telling "anyone"; knowing that he would get burned severely.

That the Renault team was involved to win a single race, also could never compute.