PDA

View Full Version : Car stereo locked..any ideas?

steve_spackman
16th September 2009, 22:42
Silly me left lights on car. Battery dies, but when recharged, the stereo is locked...Any ideas as to how it can be unlocked?

MrJan
16th September 2009, 22:52
I've been told that putting them in the freezer can sometimes sort out the coding issue but nolt sure whether or how it would work.

Daniel
16th September 2009, 22:55
Is it factory fit? See the dealer with proof of ownership and they'll give you the code.

donKey jote
16th September 2009, 23:03
I've been told that putting them in the freezer can sometimes sort out the coding issue but nolt sure whether or how it would work.
I heard the same, but with the microwave. If that fails, steal another one :p : :devil:

MrJan
16th September 2009, 23:18
Is it factory fit? See the dealer with proof of ownership and they'll give you the code.

Better yet is to check an owner's club or something to see how people have got around the problem. Dealer is always a last resort for me because it's only going to cost a fortune and be carried out by a to the letter wrench monkey, rather than someone with years of exerience who actually knows how to fix things and not just replace them

steve_spackman
17th September 2009, 01:19
Thanks for the advice..another happy customer on the forums!! :)

steve_spackman
17th September 2009, 01:20
I heard the same, but with the microwave. If that fails, steal another one :p : :devil:

:D

Dave B
17th September 2009, 09:01
Depends on the make. Ford ones and many otehrs can be calculated from the serial number, assuming the user hasn't changed it from the default. Others are scrap metal. You could always go to Halfords and pay over the odds for a work experience trainee to botch fitting a replacement :p

Mark
17th September 2009, 09:11

In return for a fee of course!

My Ford Fiesta doesn't have a radio code. It's so built in to the dash you'd literally have to take the entire dashboard apart to extract it, and then it would only work in another Ford Fiesta. So they didn't bother coding it!

Daniel
17th September 2009, 09:26
Well they should be able to do it for free but yes some will charge for it.

driveace
17th September 2009, 21:20
If its a Ford ,ring the dealer (preferably the supplying dealer) give him the registration and they will give you the code free.There is also a place in the service book to record the code too

Daniel
17th September 2009, 21:37
If its a Ford ,ring the dealer (preferably the supplying dealer) give him the registration and they will give you the code free.There is also a place in the service book to record the code too
Most times though they will need you to go in with proof of ownership otherwise it could be the car thief.

Our 500 is registered with the international security register which means the windows are marked which makes it less likely to be stolen as it's easier to trace and you can also register things like locking wheelnut codes and radio codes with them which we've done so it makes things a lot easier and you can leave the handbook at home :) Linky -> http://www.retainagroup.com/fr_ISR.htm

Mark in Oshawa
19th September 2009, 06:01
My Chevy had the same issue when they replaced the alternator. Or rather HAS the issue, I have been radioless for a month or so. Then again, I only drive 2 times a week and for 10 mins or so at a time, so I have put up with it. Miss my talk radio fix, gotta hear the Blue Jays lose.....