PDA

View Full Version : How much power does the current engines have?

Lennat
15th September 2009, 19:46
Seems that some has coped better with the "reliability" upgrades and lower rev limits than others... How much does the different engines have these days, and how much differs between say a Renault and a Mercedes for example? I think i remember hearing that most engines had about 750 bhp when the 2.4 litre V8s were introduced, but things might have changed?

Sonic
15th September 2009, 20:53
Jackie Stewart was speaking over the Monza weekend and mentioned a figure of 780bhp. I assume he would be quoting Williams Toyota with that.

Lennat
15th September 2009, 21:21
Jackie Stewart was speaking over the Monza weekend and mentioned a figure of 780bhp. I assume he would be quoting Williams Toyota with that.

Sounds reasonable, but why would he specifically be quoting Williams Toyota? Is he involved with them somehow?

waitey
16th September 2009, 02:12
in my opinion the best engines would be developing close to 800bhp.
Probably a bit less but I think by next season we will see the best engine
generate a figure of around 800bhp.
I just wish the dropped the engine freeze!!!!

Any chance ever of going back to v10's? Everyone would like the idea but
of course there is the costs in changing back from v8's to v10's.

F1 worked in the late 90's and early 2000's with v10's, less aero etc. Could we ever see perhaps a new FIA president pushing this idea? I will pray!

Lennat
16th September 2009, 08:14
Unfortunately I don't see them going back to V10s, even though they should have been kept in the first place.

But I would still prefer V12s, been watching some races from 1995 lately and damn, the Ferraris sounds amazing... Actually I like the mix of V8, V10 and V12 engines back then. :)

Sonic
16th September 2009, 09:37
Sounds reasonable, but why would he specifically be quoting Williams Toyota? Is he involved with them somehow?

He is involved with RBS so would spend a fair amount of time in the Williams garage.

Lennat
16th September 2009, 09:47
He is involved with RBS so would spend a fair amount of time in the Williams garage.

Oh, forgot about that, thanks. :)