PDA

View Full Version : BMW finds buyer

ArrowsFA1
15th September 2009, 12:37
BMW has announced that the Qadbak Investments company has agreed to purchase the Formula 1 team based in Hinwil.

On Tuesday, BMW said it had signed the contract to sell the team to Qadbak, a Swiss-based foundation which represents the interests of certain Middle East and European-based families.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78655

ioan
15th September 2009, 12:40
Good news!
But no word about Sauber being involved?! He still owns a part of the team if I'm not mistaken.

Ranger
15th September 2009, 12:43
Good news!
But no word about Sauber being involved?! He still owns a part of the team if I'm not mistaken.

IMO they'd be foolish not to keep him as at least an adviser of sorts.

Looks like a 28-car grid for 2009, excellent. :up:

Storm
15th September 2009, 12:52
Yes Sauber should definitely be on board..so what name will this team have?

Mark
15th September 2009, 13:15
Hopefully Sauber!

Knock-on
15th September 2009, 13:18
Great news and I will bet Peter is in the mix ;)

ArrowsFA1
15th September 2009, 13:23
Yes Sauber should definitely be on board..so what name will this team have?
Vanwall :p :

ioan
15th September 2009, 13:31
Great news and I will bet Peter is in the mix ;)

As a shareholder he should be, unless he sold his part too.

VkmSpouge
15th September 2009, 13:39
Great news that Sauber will be able to keep going in a 28 car grid! I just hope the move to expand the number entries to 14 teams is given the green light.

Big Ben
15th September 2009, 13:51
IMO they'd be foolish not to keep him as at least an adviser of sorts.

Looks like a 28-car grid for 2009, excellent. :up:

I undestand they will only fill any vacancy that might arise.

N. Jones
15th September 2009, 13:53
I believe that this team will only fill any vacancies and will not automaticaly be part of the grid.

christophulus
15th September 2009, 13:53
I undestand they will only fill any vacancy that might arise.

Odd that they've nominated a reserve team. Though with the question marks over Renault and Toyota, plus the other three new teams, they probably still have a good chance to make it in 2010.

Robinho
15th September 2009, 14:01
looks good for a deinfite 24 cars, decent chance of 26 if Renault and Toyota and all the new boys actually turn up, outside chance of 28 if they all turn up and allow BMW Team Sauber Notts County to play as well - is this Max's legacy? much as i hate him we've had one of the most interesting and competitive years for a long time with a chance of 28 cars next year :eek:

N. Jones
15th September 2009, 14:11
What engines do this new team use? Surely BMW is not going to supply them?

Robinho
15th September 2009, 14:20
from what i've read it seems the new boys have bough the lot, including Saubers share

N. Jones
15th September 2009, 14:36
I just read here: http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5560647,00.html that the FIA will allow the BMW-Sauber team onto the grid as the 14th team but they have to ask the teams if they are okay with it.

It sounds good to me, sign 'em up!

Big Ben
15th September 2009, 14:43
We are discussing about 28 cars now but I hope we'll have at least 20.

ClarkFan
15th September 2009, 15:07
I believe that this team will only fill any vacancies and will not automaticaly be part of the grid.
I suppose that this gives the FIA the capacity to boot Renault and/or for one of the new teams to not make it.

Wonder is some sort of fix is in on Renault? Otherwise, buying the BMW team and preparing a 2010 car will give the new owners the chance to spend tens of millions of euros to watch their cars not race.

ClarkFan

Sonic
15th September 2009, 15:27
I suppose that this gives the FIA the capacity to boot Renault....

This was my first thought too (my I am getting cynical in my old age ;) ). Why nominate a "reserve" team at all if you have a full grid unless you have already made up your mind that one of th current crop will not be returning next year.

N. Jones
15th September 2009, 19:00
Does this mean that Kubica and Heidfeld can stay at this new team if there contracts do not end this season?

truefan72
15th September 2009, 20:04
lets hope we see 28 cars on the grid.

IMO though it seems Mosley is going after renault and hopes he can get them to leave with this stupid crashgate thing. The sooner moosley is gone the sooner we can get the sport back to some respectability.

I also lay serious blame on Thiessen who neither had the foresight or the intelligence to secure their place on the grid for 2010 before their announcement.

ioan
15th September 2009, 21:25
I also lay serious blame on Thiessen who neither had the foresight or the intelligence to secure their place on the grid for 2010 before their announcement.

Maybe you can tell you how you would have done it in his place. Keep in mind that the decision was down to the BMW board not Theissen and that he learned about it just days before us because BMW had told him that their stint in F1 will be at least 5 years and right now it's only the 4th season.