PDA

View Full Version : F1 safety take2

CNR
12th September 2009, 01:08
http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17122&Itemid=219

Kimi Raikkonen was fined 7600 Euros by stewards at the Italian Grand Prix for speeding in the pitlane during afternoon practice at Monza.
Driving his Ferrari, the Finn broke the 60 kph speed limit by 37.2 kph, it was confirmed in a stewards' statement.

they need to look at a points system on the super licence

call_me_andrew
12th September 2009, 02:19
Sounds like a good idea to me.

gloomyDAY
12th September 2009, 04:08
Since when did free practice give you free reign to break the rules :?:

Not just picking on Kimi, but pit lane safety is a paramount priority.

UltimateDanGTR
12th September 2009, 07:39
breaking it by 37.2 kph? In britain he'd be locked up for a thousand years and would be treated as a murderer!

Pitlane safety is very important, but this is just taking the mick...

Personally, I think points on a super license would work and is a good idea. also, it would also be the only thing that Yuji Ide would ever had won on points, has the system existed back then! :D

Dave B
12th September 2009, 09:28
That's far too lenient. €7600 is nothing to a driver like Kimi, there's no disincentive whatsoever.

As has been said, over a certain margin it needs to be either points on a racing licence or a grid penalty. Maybe both.

How about a 1 place grid penalty for every kph over the limit? In this instance it would mean Kimi starting from Basingstoke, but usually transgressions are merely a couple of kph too fast.

UltimateDanGTR
12th September 2009, 10:06
How about a 1 place grid penalty for every kph over the limit? In this instance it would mean Kimi starting from Basingstoke, but usually transgressions are merely a couple of kph too fast.

:D Brilliant line, well done that man. but you make a good point, a grid penalty for every 1 kph over the limit would work, plus a large monetry fine for every kph over the limit, something like 20, 000 euros. plus points on his super license, just to make sure.

ioan
12th September 2009, 10:36
Way to little punishment for driving 60% faster than allowed, especially when you think about it compared with a paycheck of 50 millions a year.

SGWilko
12th September 2009, 12:27
Can i just make a small point here.....

Do the cars still have a digital readout showing speed?

If not, do the drivers solely rely on the pit limiter button?

Can you gauge your speed accurately if the limiter goes for a Burton?

Not making excuses here, but lets look at road cars - drivers have a speedometer, speeds are clearly marked.

If you go over the speed limit, it is because;

1. You are an idiot, or

2. You were not paying attention - see above, or

3. the speedo is faulty - the car is then not legal, see 1 above.

But, to answer the thread author, points is a good system, as the fines are clearly insignificant.

Nikki Katz
12th September 2009, 12:34
How fast???? It should be more like on the road where penalties get higher the worse the offense (speed) is. I don't think that points on a superlicence will help for ordinary speeding in the pitlane though, as there's usually one driver per weekend that manages to do it. But that far above the limit should have a harsher penalty.

Dave B
12th September 2009, 12:48
Can you gauge your speed accurately if the limiter goes for a Burton?
If there was a genuine fault then that might excuse Kimi being a few kph over the limit. But 37? He's better than that.

SGWilko
12th September 2009, 12:58
If there was a genuine fault then that might excuse Kimi being a few kph over the limit. But 37? He's better than that.

I agree, and as I said - not making excuses. ;)

ioan
12th September 2009, 14:26
Can i just make a small point here.....

Do the cars still have a digital readout showing speed?

Did they ever have one?
Do they even need one?
I bet you can say what speed your car is traveling even without looking to your speedometer, so should Kimi if he wouldn't have forgotten about the speed limit that is. ;)

SGWilko
12th September 2009, 14:42
Did they ever have one?
Do they even need one?
I bet you can say what speed your car is traveling even without looking to your speedometer, so should Kimi if he wouldn't have forgotten about the speed limit that is. ;)

Never really tried tbh. But not with any accuracy I shouldn't think.

Ever checked your cars speedo against sat nav speed - car is very often surprisingly innacurate.

markabilly
12th September 2009, 16:34
Depends on where he was going so fast---If it was coming in and exiting and got caught at the line, but otherwise was in the limit, that would be one matter, but if it were more inside the pit lane, then a far more severe penalty should have been imposed--ten places for an engine or transmisson change, but 7600 euros for actions that could easily kill people walking around in the pits, esp those who might have seen him but stayed in the zone of danger without realizing how fast he was going---would seem to be a little dumb

Opps, here will come the usual crew of wilco, henners dunnel and such, who never raced, screaming, well no one made them do it, they knew the risk......people die in airplane crashes everyday...you only think that because you are american and think u r superior

christophulus
12th September 2009, 17:01
Isn't it 60kph in practice but 100kph in the race? Seems odd to have two different speed limits for the same place. But yes, one and a half times the limit is ridiculous - a fine for 3/4 kph is fair enough but there should be a harsher punishment for this.

Sonic
12th September 2009, 17:27
It depends on the circumstances. If he blazed into the pits, missed his braking point (there are dozens of lines painted on the track) locked up and crossed into the zone way too fast but slowed quickly I can't see a problem. The "active" pit lane where there are people wandering around is several dozen meters further down the road after all. However if it is a consistent 30 odd KPH over the limit he requires more than a slap on the wrist.

Dave B
12th September 2009, 17:41
Never really tried tbh. But not with any accuracy I shouldn't think.
I tried it once when I was the passenger on a long journey: the driver covered the speedo and I had to estimate the car's speed on command. Not once was I more than 5mph out. It's surprisingly easy with experience.

This is partly why I have little sympathy with those who say that speed cameras are dangerous as they require you to take your eye off the road.

SGWilko
12th September 2009, 17:45
I tried it once when I was the passenger on a long journey: the driver covered the speedo and I had to estimate the car's speed on command. Not once was I more than 5mph out. It's surprisingly easy with experience.

Dave, was he sticking to the speed limits, covered the speedo so he could see it, you couldn't, and all you had to do was look at the road signs? ;) :p

Dave B
12th September 2009, 17:46
She was pathalogically incapable of sticking to a speed limit :p

SGWilko
12th September 2009, 17:55
She was pathalogically incapable of sticking to a speed limit :p

I see ;) , did SHE even have her eyes on the road....... :p

Knock-on
13th September 2009, 11:50
There really is no excuse.

How often do drivers speed in the race where they would get a drive through. Virtually never!

How about a fine up to 10kph for the first 2 cases in a year and then points on your licence as well. 6 instances in a 12 month period = 1 race ban.

Over 10 KPH = 1 grid place per 10kph + 1 instance per 10kph.

Do you think this would sort out the problem :D