PDA

View Full Version : Petty/Yates merge will run Fords

Jonesi
10th September 2009, 20:55
http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/cup/09/10/rpetty.yates.ford/index.html?eref=/rss/news/headlines/cup

Lee Roy
10th September 2009, 21:02
Cool. I can remember Petty enterprises running Fords in 1969.

http://jayski.com/cupnews.htm#news43thu

Richard Petty Motorsports to run Fords in 2010, merge w/Yates: Richard Petty Motorsports and Yates Racing announced today they have signed a letter of intent to merge operations in time for the 2010 season. The four-car team will race Fords under the Richard Petty Motorsports banner.
Richard Petty: "This is a pretty big deal for us. We're thrilled to partner with Ford. We've talked with a lot of folks, but in the end it came down to the success the Gilletts and I think we can achieve with Ford Racing. Right now this deal is real new. There are lots of details still left to be ironed out so we don't have a lot of answers for anyone right now. We'll be working on all that in the coming days, weeks and months, but we do intend to have everything in place before the start of next season. I've won races with Ford and plan to again."
Team Managing Partner Foster Gillett: "Richard and Kasey (Kahne) showed us Sunday night in Atlanta that they like winning quite a bit and Ford is going to provide the support that we need to go to victory lane more often. If you are going to compete with the other teams in this sport you need a lot of support. We bring a lot to this relationship as well. We've won twice this season and the power of Richard Petty is hard to beat, plus we have the support of some of the biggest names in corporate America."
Yates Racing Co-owner Max Jones: "This is certainly a great opportunity for both Yates Racing as well as Ford Racing. I have had a long-term relationship with Ford and look forward to continuing that relationship at Richard Petty Motorsports. Over the coming weeks we will continue to work with Ford and Richard Petty to lay out the best plan for Paul Menard and all of the employees at Yates Racing. We will continue to field both the #98 and #96 Ford Fusions for the remainder of the season and look forward to continued success on the track with Paul, Bobby Labonte and Erik Darnell."
Yates Racing Co-owner Doug Yates: "This plan is clearly in the best interest of the Ford Racing community. On a personal level, I am excited about the opportunity to focus my full energy on building Ford horsepower. We look forward to working with Richard Petty Motorsports to produce power second to none. There are many details to be worked out with Richard Petty Motorsports and as we finalize those details we will keep everyone informed."
Director of Ford North America Motorsports Brian Wolfe: "I am very pleased that Richard Petty Motorsports has made the decision to switch to Ford for the 2010 season. They had choices to consider other than Ford and it's gratifying to us that they have enough faith in the Ford Motor Company and what we're doing to make the switch. We believe we can provide them with superior analytical tools and powertrain, and we will work with them closely on the technical front to help them become even more competitive than they are. What's also really cool to me is the chance to have someone with the class and the legacy of Richard Petty involved with Ford. Combine that with the chance to work with the Gillett family, who we have great respect for, and add some great drivers to the Ford camp, well, it's hard not to be excited about this opportunity."

Jonesi
10th September 2009, 22:08
They are going with the drivers that are signed for next year and the one that brings a fully sponsored car:
#9 Kasey Kahne, Bud & Allstate signed for next year.
#19 Elliott Sadler, Best Buy, Stanley & McDs some sponsorship is thru '10
#44 AJ Allmendinger, obviously Dodge Dealers sponsorship goes away, don't know about Valvoline.
#98? Paul Menard Brings Menards sponsorship which can attract other building/tool sponsorship.

#43 Reed Sorenson only signed thru '09, Someone will get this number.
#96 Bobby Labonte only signed thru '09, HOF goes where? Ask.com has 5 year partial sponsor deal, but is it with Yates or HOF?

#26 5th car from Roush no place to be transfered to, so I guess shut down.

This leaves Ford with a solid 8 car, 2 team setup.
This leaves Dodge with just 3 car Penske team, and ?

Jag_Warrior
10th September 2009, 23:02
Has there been an announcement that the Dodge Dealers sponsorship is going away? Seems like they'd want to maintain a presence.

Jonesi
11th September 2009, 01:44
Has there been an announcement that the Dodge Dealers sponsorship is going away? Seems like they'd want to maintain a presence.

No, I meant that it's a safe bet they won't pay to advertise on a Petty Ford.

Jag_Warrior
11th September 2009, 04:06
Ah, yeah.

call_me_andrew
11th September 2009, 05:55
Where does this leave Ernie Elliott?

nigelred5
11th September 2009, 18:22
Where does this leave Ernie Elliott?

i don't know, but hopefully workin with Doug Yates concentrating on building some bad a$$ Fords???

Jonesi
12th September 2009, 19:33
More of a buyout than merger.
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4466212

Mark in Oshawa
13th September 2009, 17:32
This just aint right....Petty and Mopar go together like Peanut Butter and Jam.

AS for Ernie Elliot, he may be looking for work. Yates racing will all but disappear inthe larger organization, BUT Doug Yates is going to be running the engine shop and apparently the boys making those potent R6's that Kasey has employed to great effect will be looking for work. I hope there is room for Ernie with the Yate's crew....the Fords need more oooph...

The instant classic
13th September 2009, 22:35
the last great team Yates had was Rudd and DJ. but now Yates has fallen off the map of racing. i hate to see it i was a big fan of yates when he pick up Rudd in 2000 and had such a great power team in 2001, but now if Yates was to leaving nascar tomorrow none wolud even know it :/

Roush is fine. HMS, is fine and gibbs is fine,
but the rest of the teams i could see more merges, my pick next on the list is RCR to join with....who knows?

Jonesi
13th September 2009, 23:40
This just aint right....Petty and Mopar go together like Peanut Butter and Jam.

AS for Ernie Elliot, he may be looking for work. Yates racing will all but disappear inthe larger organization, BUT Doug Yates is going to be running the engine shop and apparently the boys making those potent R6's that Kasey has employed to great effect will be looking for work. I hope there is room for Ernie with the Yate's crew....the Fords need more oooph...

Roger Penske is pretty sharp. The guys at RPM that were putting more HP in KK's Dodge motors, than KuB's will probably end up working for him next year.

Got to wonder if Dodge is going to be happy with only a three car presence in Cup next year?

Mark in Oshawa
15th September 2009, 22:25
Roger Penske is pretty sharp. The guys at RPM that were putting more HP in KK's Dodge motors, than KuB's will probably end up working for him next year.

Got to wonder if Dodge is going to be happy with only a three car presence in Cup next year?

It is Dodge's fault. Petty basically said he wasn't going to run Dodge's for nothing when Ford was going to pay him to run Fords. Dodge knew damned well RPM was fishing for more support. When they chose to keep finding ways to pay Penske while not paying RPM this year, that was the end of the story.

A dumb decision on Dodge's part, but I always thought Acevetti was a doofus.

BobbyC
25th September 2009, 02:20
This is in all actuality George Gillett. Obama and Pelosi ran down car companies that refused to make what they wanted, and we see the price now.

call_me_andrew
25th September 2009, 07:50
Did you just blame the recession that started 12 months ago, and the longterm decline of profits for U.S. automakers over the last 2 decades on Obama?

I am evil Homer
25th September 2009, 10:07
Yep clearly it's Obama's fault that US carmakers can't make decent quality, well priced cars like Nissan, Honda and Toyota manage...

Sparky1329
25th September 2009, 15:33
This is in all actuality George Gillett. Obama and Pelosi ran down car companies that refused to make what they wanted, and we see the price now.

Oh, I see. You belong to that fringe group that thinks the president isn't an American citizen, is a "Muslin" (sic) and wants to indoctrinate our children. :rolleyes:

Wade91
25th September 2009, 19:09
this is pretty bad for dodge, the only big dodge team that will be left is penske

i guess this is why Kasey has been able to run a toyota in the Nationwide series

Jonesi
25th September 2009, 22:12
this is pretty bad for dodge, the only big dodge team that will be left is penske

i guess this is why Kasey has been able to run a toyota in the Nationwide series

Yes, now that RPM is a lame duck with Dodge (and not getting any new tech from them) there's no reason to stop KK from running another brand in NW.