PDA

View Full Version : Brawn joins bidding queue for Rosberg in F1 2010

CNR
4th September 2009, 13:47
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/151852/1/brawn_joins_bidding_queue_for_rosberg_in_f1_2010.h tml

Though it has been widely assumed that he will either switch to McLaren-Mercedes or else stay put at Williams for another season in 2010, it now transpires that another party has joined in the bidding process for the services of Nico Rosberg, one of Formula 1's hottest young properties, next year – current world championship leaders Brawn GP.

According to German newspaper Bild, Brawn GP has made an offer to Rosberg – with speculation that Rubens Barrichello will not be retained alongside Jenson Button – but the publication added that McLaren remains the 24-year-old's first choice, where he would replace Heikki Kovalainen. The Finn has largely failed to live up to expectations during his two seasons at the Woking-based outfit in 2008 and 2009, triumphing just once to team-mate Lewis Hamilton's six victories over the same period, and generally proving unable to get close to the 2008 F1 World Champion's pace.

ShiftingGears
4th September 2009, 13:54
Rosberg has driven well this year. He needs a fast teammate again.

DexDexter
4th September 2009, 13:54
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/151852/1/brawn_joins_bidding_queue_for_rosberg_in_f1_2010.h tml

I think the main question is how competitive is Brawn going to be? I'm sure Rosberg is wondering about the same thing. Number two at Mclaren or equal number one at Brawn? Hamilton or Button?

Sonic
4th September 2009, 13:59
Very tough choice for the lad. I think the nod would have to go to Macca who have proven that they have the resources and man power to make a bad car half decent whereas will Brawn strike gold twice? Possible but far from certain. From a selfish POV I want him in one of sir franks cars next year.

keysersoze
4th September 2009, 14:03
Look at the history, Nico. It's really not that difficult of a decision.

JasonD
4th September 2009, 14:09
Number two at Mclaren or equal number one at Brawn? Hamilton or Button?

While I think we can all agree that he would be No. 2 at Mclaren I dont think we can say for certain that he would be placed on equal footing with Button at Brawn. If Button becomes world champion does that not automatically place Button in the No. 1 seat?

Though I guess there could be the old Ferrari analogy of a 1A and 1B driver. :rolleyes:

ioan
4th September 2009, 14:18
And now people are taking Bild for a source reliable enough to comment on what they write?

christophulus
4th September 2009, 15:36
Joining Brawn alongside Button would mean displacing Barrichello, who could very feasibly become world champion this year based on recent performances. Besides, I'm sure Brawn has gone on record saying he'd like to keep his current driver line up.

truefan72
4th September 2009, 21:12
Joining Brawn alongside Button would mean displacing Barrichello, who could very feasibly become world champion this year based on recent performances. Besides, I'm sure Brawn has gone on record saying he'd like to keep his current driver line up.

yep

Saint Devote
5th September 2009, 01:16
It depends how afraid of Hamilton he is. If he drives for Mclaren and fails against Hamilton his career in a top team is over as is Kovaleninen's now.

He might be enticed by the glamor of Mclaren and believe he will beat Hamilton, but I think he should stay with Williams. They know how to win and as the cost structure of f1 is reduced the ability of Williams to produce winning cars will be an advantage.

And providing the FIA do not trigger a Renault witdrawal, he will have a Renault engine in the back rather than the Toyota.

ShiftingGears
5th September 2009, 03:10
He might be enticed by the glamor of Mclaren and believe he will beat Hamilton, but I think he should stay with Williams. They know how to win and as the cost structure of f1 is reduced the ability of Williams to produce winning cars will be an advantage.

Williams still won't win. Sam Michael is no Adrian Newey - the only time Williams has won under his technical direction was in a car that he did not design. Not to mention that the Williams strategists are hopeless.

Saint Devote
5th September 2009, 03:50
Williams still won't win. Sam Michael is no Adrian Newey - the only time Williams has won under his technical direction was in a car that he did not design. Not to mention that the Williams strategists are hopeless.

Never say never - Rosberg is currently 6th in the championship and is now consistently scoring points.

While it has been SIX years since their last win, the changes in f1 are positive for the team.

Many teams spend some time in the racing wilderness or even lose their way even Ferrari imploded until Schumcher turned them around.

This is a team that understand what it takes to win races and championships and I think we could even see a podium before 2009 runs out.

They have a star new driver that they ought to promote to f1, Nico Hulkenberg. My main point that Rosberg is not likely to beat Hamilton in the Mclaren but he could reach a level that would enable him to beat Mclaren for example with Williams.

Maybe Williams with Renault and the new rules in 2010 [no fuel stops] will further equal out the field of competition.

I just think that Mclaren is a real risk for Rosberg that will end up hurting his career quite quickly - Hamilton takes no prisoners and Mclaren are orientated towards him primarily.

ShiftingGears
5th September 2009, 04:35
They have a star new driver that they ought to promote to f1, Nico Hulkenberg. My main point that Rosberg is not likely to beat Hamilton in the Mclaren but he could reach a level that would enable him to beat Mclaren for example with Williams.

Williams, like any team, can only win if the quality of their team is exceptional. I can't see them winning again under less than exceptional circumstances without changing their staff.

Hiring Jean Todt was the first key step in helping Ferrari out of their lack of success. Williams isn't going to turn into a championship winning team with the same staff that they currently have.

I am evil Homer
5th September 2009, 10:54
It's a total no-brainer IMO. If the Mac option is there you take it - he and Hamilton get on pretty well by all accounts. Also good for Mac I think as Rosberg is better than Kovi.

I like Williams but they're not on the same level as Mac and I see no way for them to bridge that gap. Even with a budget cap I don't think they have the staff to create a genuine contender.

Saint Devote
6th September 2009, 21:26
Both of you make a valid point - but the question is would you agree whether it is better for Rosberg?

Nico is wanted as the number 1 at Williams and if they produce a reasonable car he could win a grand prix and have a multiple year contract with the team concentrating on him primarily under even better regulations from 2010.

Alternatively, going to Mclaren may ensure a car that can win but in a car that will be secondary to anything that Hamilton wants. So in a winnable car, if he does not beat Hamilton, it will essentially be circumstancial if he wins.

Hence my point that yes the car is likely to be better at Mclaren, but if he does move to Mclaren he is stating that he can beat Hamilton.

The only driver in the same team that has been competitive with Hamilton has been Alonso and Nico is no Fernando.

It is a high stakes decision for Rosberg that if he beats Hamilton will make his career - if he does not, then he will not last long at Mclaren and it will not do his career any good at all.

I say he should stick with Williams. With the Renault engine and maybe Hulkenberg it will be better.

And honestly, the way Barrichello is currently driving, there is no reason for Ross to change his driver line-up to include Rosberg.

Saint Devote
6th September 2009, 21:33
Rosberg has driven well this year. He needs a fast teammate again.

There is the possibility that Kubica may drive for Williams. But if Rosberg requires a quick teammate to light the fire under his seat can he be considered top line? I say no.

CNR
7th September 2009, 07:32
I think the main question is how competitive is Brawn going to be? I'm sure Rosberg is wondering about the same thing. Number two at Mclaren or equal number one at Brawn? Hamilton or Button?

Mercedes-Benz set to become a shareholder in Brawn GP F1 team
should have the money to deliver a fast car

DexDexter
7th September 2009, 09:05
Mercedes-Benz set to become a shareholder in Brawn GP F1 team
should have the money to deliver a fast car

IMO that's bad news, I hope it is not a big share.

V12
11th September 2009, 15:10
It would be a gamble to move to Brawn IMO... We don't know how the rest of the season is going to pan out for them and the funding for next year (apart from the Mercedes) is still undecided. A team like Mclaren would be a better test of his ability. Lewis may be number one at present but its down to Rosberg if he's hired to make his mark. He wouldn't be the first driver to go to Mclaren and try and take number one status.. :)

Yes, McLaren was long considered "Prosts team", until Senna came along. But Rosberg, as good as he is, is no Senna. Also, McLaren had not nurtured Prost since age ten.

I guess there's two ways of looking at it. Going to McLaren would probably on the face of things give him a better chance of winning a Grand Prix in 2010. But staying at Williams, provided he continues to put in the performances he has this year, will probably prove better for his reputation and standing in the paddock than if he goes to McLaren and "does a Kovalainen".

Or the new rules for next year could produce another total shake up in the order and make our comparisons of competitiveness between McLaren, Williams and Brawn totally worthless :)