PDA

View Full Version : Kimi's future - No racing in 2010?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Big Ben
8th October 2009, 10:13
Maybe :) .. and yes - :) I heard that Luca di Montezemolo said that - and i have no problems with that - the only reason that it will be difficult remain as Ferrari supporter is that Ferrari break their promises and Kimi's contract ..

They don’t care of Kimi or his fans that simple is it.

And, it happen - as I can see - without any other reason than big money ... it's not fair.. so why remain there you are undesirable. I think it will be very difficult to many Kimi fans.. but of course Ferrari gets many more fans with Alonso.. so they are pleased anyway .. I can think.. :)

However it will be interesting to follow how Alonso and Felipe can work together (and I must say I have my doubts) – But if some one of them will win the title some day I hope it will be Felipe.

I would be glad to receive millions of euros from my boss just to leave. Actually I would even stop feeling the need to punch him in the face if that happened. However in my case I could get the boot in my a$$ and not even receive all the money for the work already done... However I don't have any use for pity and I don't really pity KR either... Him being 'fired' by Ferrari looks better than all my achievements put togheter... not to mention that he actually doesn't really give a $h1t.

Dzeidzei
8th October 2009, 10:58
Webber fans wont the only livid one I can guarentee your - he's very popular up and down pit lane

I hear you mate, but since when did F1 turn into a popularity contest? If theres anything to learn from the Alonso-Santander-Ferrari move it is that money talks and bs walks.

Of course the beauty with Kimi is that he really doesnt give a rats ass what other people think. You cant please them all so why even try?

jas123f1
8th October 2009, 13:56
I would be glad to receive millions of euros from my boss just to leave. Actually I would even stop feeling the need to punch him in the face if that happened. However in my case I could get the boot in my a$$ and not even receive all the money for the work already done... However I don't have any use for pity and I don't really pity KR either... Him being 'fired' by Ferrari looks better than all my achievements put togheter... not to mention that he actually doesn't really give a $h1t.

If we start to compare people in world then we have lot of to do.. :)

And don'r forget - you are not one of the best drivers in world - so I don't like to compare you with Kimi - ok – it’s known that F1-drivers sometimes make big money - but only during a short time - there is people who are making even more money whole their life.

I don't see that Kimis salary has anything to do whit what's going on - he and Ferrari had their contract – and Ferrari break it .. and that’s it.. Kimi has always doing a good work and his cool personality is well know everywhere..

I hope he will continue in F1and take a title 2010… but if he don’t want then ok .. no F1 and no new contract no new big salary .. :) and even you will be satisfied.. :)

Big Ben
8th October 2009, 14:19
And don'r forget - you are not one of the best drivers in world

Well, that's what you think.

I was talking more about breaking the contract thing. I don't think any contract was broken. I don't see him as a victim, as you seem to make him look.

Knock-on
8th October 2009, 15:25
I agree with you Henners.

It was a commercial decision to oust Kimi but he's not going to lose out financially. He may feel a little dissapointed after helping Ferrari to 3 Championships but he's a big boy. The best way to get even is to join McLaren (if his contract allows) and stick it back to Ferrari.

Personally I think Ferrar may very well have shot themselves in the hoof.

Firstgear
8th October 2009, 20:47
Personally I think Ferrar may very well have shot themselves in the hoof.
Yup, if Kimi wins with Mac next year, Ferrari will look dummer for letting him go than Honda looked for pulling out just before the success of Brawn.

Giuseppe F1
8th October 2009, 21:54
Does Kimi own his black Ferrari Enzo or was it a 'company car'?.....Will he have to give it back?? :)

Koz
9th October 2009, 02:23
I think RB will be most realistic.
But will he have a chance to test the cars before signing up? Will that even matter?
If he could do a test or two would be wise to wait, and see after the end of the season.

It would be sad if he went for RB though, it would undoubtedly be the end of Webber's career.

driveace
9th October 2009, 20:19
looks like Red bull !
With Webber upsetting the team by sticking up for manager Flavio,SO kimi and Vettel,with Webber going to Torro Rosso

TMorel
9th October 2009, 20:47
Wait a minute,
Alonso sticks up for Flav and woohooo hero, give him a red car
Webber sticks up for Flav and booooo hisss, throw him to the wolves.

or did we throw Alonso to the wolves? I've lost track. Flav is still sleazy right?

DexDexter
9th October 2009, 21:39
I must be hard for Kimi to decide which team to drive for next year, so maybe a drink or too will help. According to Finnish sources, Kimi went to see his pal Matti Nykänen( world's greatest ski jumper) and the pair spent a nice evening: sauna and bar hopping with few White Russians (about 100) :beer: Very much his own man, Kimi. :up:

http://www.mtv3.fi/ohjelmat/sivusto2008.shtml/viihde/f1_backstage/taustaa_uutiset/2009/10?971749

Ranger
9th October 2009, 23:29
looks like Red bull !
With Webber upsetting the team by sticking up for manager Flavio,SO kimi and Vettel,with Webber going to Torro Rosso

Sounds like nothing more than paddock musings.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091009095324.shtml

"There is only a connection (with Red Bull is) as a beverage partner," Raikkonen's manager Steve Robertson told the Finnish broadcaster MTV3.

The 2007 world champion is linked with teams including Toyota and McLaren.

"We are talking with several teams and Red Bull is not among them," Robertson added.

ozrevhead
10th October 2009, 07:44
Sounds like nothing more than paddock musings.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091009095324.shtml
Good to hear that from KR managment BUT why hasnt Horner come out and refuted the claims yet? You think if it was total BS he would of done so by now

:look:

TMorel
10th October 2009, 08:58
I think if team managers had to refute all the BS we see posted here they'd never do any other work.

I'm still hoping for Kimi to join McLaren. Despite my loathing for all attached to that team I've been impressed with how they've kept plugging away this season and very impressed with how Kimi has handled himself on/off track the last few races. Not sure I'd ever be able to force myself to cheer at any podiums for them if he does end up there but hey, I'm old bitter and irrational.

Infact, if Kimi does go there, Massa is up to speed and Redbull keep their guys, next season could be pretty damn awesome!

ShiftingGears
10th October 2009, 09:30
Good to hear that from KR managment BUT why hasnt Horner come out and refuted the claims yet? You think if it was total BS he would of done so by now

:look:

Don't worry about it - he'll be fine.

wacho
10th October 2009, 11:00
I heard he had a wild party with Matti Nykanen lately. 150 drinks on the table at one time. :D

Steve2009
10th October 2009, 16:34
I heard he had a wild party with Matti Nykanen lately. 150 drinks on the table at one time. :D
Party on Wayne! :o

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 01:40
Personally I dont think it will happen

Webber fans wont the only livid one I can guarentee your - he's very popular up and down pit lane and I dont think they will few there that will take it too kindly :mad:

Could of left when they were jaguar and were s-house but didnt

I doubt Webber will be ousted from his contract but it is for one year because Red Bull have reservations. He has been with the team for a long time and he is a known quantity.

But if Mclaren do not sign Kimi and he wants to remain in racing how can anyone blame a team like Red Bull for not hiring him?

The goal of Dietrich Mateschitz, his stated aim is the Constructors championship. The drivers title is not as important to him - and he blamed Renault for the WCC loss to Brawn.

But surely unsaid is the glaring fact that Webber underperformed Vettel. And that the Australian driver was as much responsible because he could not keep up with Vettel.

Since Hungary Webber has not scored a single point whereas Vettel has scored 22 points including a win and has caught up with Barrichello.

The Webber fans may become restless but what case could they bring that would mitigate against the signing of Raikkonen and the retention of Webber?

Webber himself said several months ago that this year would be the now or never year for a world title. It looks like it will be never.

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 01:44

Hearsay is about as reliable as any other gossip.

Ranger
11th October 2009, 03:23
I doubt Webber will be ousted from his contract but it is for one year because Red Bull have reservations. He has been with the team for a long time and he is a known quantity.

But if Mclaren do not sign Kimi and he wants to remain in racing how can anyone blame a team like Red Bull for not hiring him?

Why wouldn't McLaren sign Kimi? That would be unintelligent if money isnt an obstacle.

Besides, as I've said before, Kimi would be well sick of Newey's cars anyway.

But surely unsaid is the glaring fact that Webber underperformed Vettel. And that the Australian driver was as much responsible because he could not keep up with Vettel.

Since Hungary Webber has not scored a single point whereas Vettel has scored 22 points including a win and has caught up with Barrichello.

You'll hopefully recall that little of this has to do with actual driver performance.

The Webber fans may become restless but what case could they bring that would mitigate against the signing of Raikkonen and the retention of Webber?

Webber himself said several months ago that this year would be the now or never year for a world title. It looks like it will be never.

Just as it looked like Jenson would never win a world title (he still mightn't).

Moral of the analogy = wait and see what happens because anything can.

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 03:32
Why wouldn't McLaren sign Kimi? That would be unintelligent if money isnt an obstacle.

Besides, as I've said before, Kimi would be well sick of Newey's cars anyway.

You'll hopefully recall that little of this has to do with actual driver performance.

Just as it looked like Jenson would never win a world title (he still mightn't).

Moral of the analogy = wait and see what happens because anything can.

Why would Raikkonen be sick of Newey's cars? They have won championships before and Kimi does not strike me as being the superstititous type.

Driver performance? Jackie Stewart when asked about drivers "bad luck" commented that for example Amon used to run over curbs and do things that he would not. The affect on the car was that the car did not finish or had prblems that would lose Amon the position. Drivers have a lot to do with it.

I have confidence in Stewart's judgement.

Well of course we do not know what will happen, but if we waited all the time there would be no discussion.

And it was Webber himsef that declared it was 2009 or it would be over.

Ranger
11th October 2009, 07:35
Why would Raikkonen be sick of Newey's cars? They have won championships before and Kimi does not strike me as being the superstititous type.

Kimi wants a car that can win championships, not break down in the process of trying. (see: 2005)

You would also like to look at years 2002, 2004 and 2006 when some people claimed it was Kimi "the carbreaker" Raikkonen's fault for the many mechanical failures during races.

Driver performance? Jackie Stewart when asked about drivers "bad luck" commented that for example Amon used to run over curbs and do things that he would not. The affect on the car was that the car did not finish or had prblems that would lose Amon the position. Drivers have a lot to do with it.

I have confidence in Stewart's judgement.

Well of course we do not know what will happen, but if we waited all the time there would be no discussion.

Driver performance has nothing at all to do with:

- Drivethrough penalties for unsafe releases. (Belgium)
- Slow pitstops (valencia)
- Headrests needing to be re-attached TWICE during the first two laps of a race. (Japan)

Not to mention Singapore and Italy which were more somewhat related related to the driver, added with some poor luck (ie. brake failure).

...all of which Mark has had since Hungary (where he lost even more points because of an unsafe release).

Seb has been the slightly better driver but this string of Mark's misfortunes are flattering his performance in the later part of this year A LOT.

Mauri A
12th October 2009, 13:04
Last rumour from Spain. Accordin to Spanish newspaper "Sport", if Räikkönen comes, Hamilton goes!

ArrowsFA1
12th October 2009, 13:16
Driver performance? Jackie Stewart when asked about drivers "bad luck" commented that for example Amon used to run over curbs and do things that he would not.
Mario Andretti on Chris Amon: "Unlucky? if he became an undertaker, people would stop dying."

ioan
12th October 2009, 15:11
Last rumour from Spain. Accordin to Spanish newspaper "Sport", if Räikkönen comes, Hamilton goes!

For once I really can't believe them.

pettersolberg29
12th October 2009, 16:51
Impossible that McLaren will get rid of Lewis, but Lewis might have told McLaren that if they get Kimi on board then he will leave perhaps?

ioan
12th October 2009, 16:54
Impossible that McLaren will get rid of Lewis, but Lewis might have told McLaren that if they get Kimi on board then he will leave perhaps?

But where would Lewis go?

Jarno
12th October 2009, 17:04

According to Sport, those were Lewis's words.

I am evil Homer
12th October 2009, 17:28
Yeah of course he said that.....I don't think. Pretty clear Spanish press hate Hamilton - it;s stirring for the sake of it. Not that McLaren or Lewis will care what Sport claims it knows.

gloomyDAY
12th October 2009, 18:26
Last rumour from Spain. Accordin to Spanish newspaper "Sport", if Räikkönen comes, Hamilton goes! :D Sure! lol

I think Kimi at RBR would be an awesome driver line-up.
Vettel has been outperforming Webber all season long.
Look at the qualifying battles. Mark only bested Seb once, once!
Vettel could use a teammate that can keep pace.

Kimi just wants to tear it up on the track. RBR are serious title contenders and not poseurs on the grid. I'm sure that the typical McLaren and Ferrari feud will continue, but Red Bull can be the token team that throws a wrench in their whole championship.

raikk
12th October 2009, 23:24

:biglaugh: fat chance that happens! even if Hamilton did say if Kimi come I'm gone I'd think that they wouldn't even sign Raikkonen at all and keep Kovalainen but I really doubt this scenario is true..(see DC article I posted a few pages back)

jens
13th October 2009, 02:07
I think those Kimi->RBR and Hamilton leaving McLaren are completely empty rumours, created out of nothing. But what can we do - such wild rumours exist in yellow journalism. :)

Garry Walker
13th October 2009, 08:53
Personally I dont think it will happen

Webber fans wont the only livid one I can guarentee your - he's very popular up and down pit lane and I dont think they will few there that will take it too kindly :mad:

Could of left when they were jaguar and were s-house but didnt
No one up and down the pit lane will care if Red Bull dumps Webber for Kimi, they will understand it is a good decision for the team. Kimi simply is a faster driver than Webber.

But, it will not happen. Webber and Vettel for Red Bull next year.

CaptainRaiden
13th October 2009, 13:10
Stupid rumors. Why would Hamilton threaten to leave, when at the start of this year or last year he said he misses the challenge of a good teammate? A tad contradicting these two things, don't you think? Well, we know which one is the confirmed news. ;)

Koz
13th October 2009, 20:13
Stupid rumors. Why would Hamilton threaten to leave, when at the start of this year or last year he said he misses the challenge of a good teammate? A tad contradicting these two things, don't you think? Well, we know which one is the confirmed news. ;)

Maybe he just wanted to piss Heikki off? Could just be his ego?

I still don't quite trust the guy as a person, altough he has proved to be a fantastic driver.

Kimi might just prove to be a handful for him, seeing how long he was with the team, more so now that Kimi will be (slightly) motivated to destroy Alonso and Ferrari.

RBR is still a possibility, I think, seeing as getting Webber to RBR was all to do with Flavio and his engines. Now with him disgraced and gone, and with Webber openly supporting him, will it influence anything?
As much as I love the guy, sadly Webber is not on the same level as Kimi, and RBR would be silly not to take him if they had the chance.
Kimi might even finish ahead of Webber, and that would be horrendous.

Garry Walker
14th October 2009, 08:57
He can say many things in public, it is not like he is a saint and always tells the truth.

Besides, do you have any links to that story. I doubt he would have said something like that, which is quite degrading to HK.

ShiftingGears
14th October 2009, 10:44
:D Sure! lol

I think Kimi at RBR would be an awesome driver line-up.
Vettel has been outperforming Webber all season long.
Look at the qualifying battles.

Look at the races. While he has less points, Webber has still finished ahead of Vettel more times than Vettel has finished ahead of him.

CaptainRaiden
14th October 2009, 17:44
He can say many things in public, it is not like he is a saint and always tells the truth.

Besides, do you have any links to that story. I doubt he would have said something like that, which is quite degrading to HK.

Nope, I don't have the link and I'm not gonna search for one. I read it somewhere or heard it on some F1 special. I could also be mixing up Hamilton with Alonso, who said a similar thing about missing strong teammate battles.

jas123f1
15th October 2009, 10:17
Massa Is Convinced Alonso Knew about the Crash-gate in Singapore last year..

It looks that Felipe Massa doesn't seem too comfortable having Fernando Alonso as a teammate in 2010. Or else he wouldn't make the comments he did this week, regarding the Spaniard's potential involvement in the crash-gate. Being in Brazil and waiting for the start of the Interlagos race this weekend, the Ferrari-an seems convinced Alonso knew about the whole Singapore affair last year...

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/massa-is-convinced-alonso-knew-about-the-crash-gate-12036.html

And I must say -- i agree to that.. :blackeye:

I am evil Homer
15th October 2009, 10:25
Of course he did....hence Brundle's "Teflonso" comment on the grid :D

Garry Walker
15th October 2009, 11:04
Nope, I don't have the link and I'm not gonna search for one. I read it somewhere or heard it on some F1 special. I could also be mixing up Hamilton with Alonso, who said a similar thing about missing strong teammate battles.

So if you have no proof of it, why are you making such comments?

Hondo
15th October 2009, 14:23
Kimi may stay at Ferrari. I don't think Ferrari or any other team is real keen about having Massa in their race car again. Too much "what if..." involved with that. Fisi has already disappointed Ferrari and is not likely to see a race drive after this season. Ferrari may have to keep Kimi.

ShiftingGears
15th October 2009, 23:14

I remember it also.

CaptainRaiden
16th October 2009, 19:35
So if you have no proof of it, why are you making such comments?

So, are you saying you make no comments on this forum without proof? Like thugsquirrel and henners have already mentioned, much like them, I heard or saw Lewis mentioning it during a buildup to some race. Don't have time enough to gather where, when, what time, second or website I saw it on.

Who knows? Maybe Alonso really brought his "six tenths" to Mclaren. There is no proof of it, but some people do believe it and you say it's bull$hit.

DexDexter
16th October 2009, 22:43
Kimi may stay at Ferrari. I don't think Ferrari or any other team is real keen about having Massa in their race car again. Too much "what if..." involved with that. Fisi has already disappointed Ferrari and is not likely to see a race drive after this season. Ferrari may have to keep Kimi.

Did you wake up after a long sleep or something?? The deals are done, Kimi is out and Massa is in, period.

Koz
17th October 2009, 20:03
What was that?

Did the Toyota principal say that they talked to Kimi and he just wants more money than they offered??

Daniel
17th October 2009, 21:51
What was that?

Did the Toyota principal say that they talked to Kimi and he just wants more money than they offered??
Yes. He also said that they have experience of Finns who like to party :p

jens
17th October 2009, 22:14
Yes. He also said that they have experience of Finns who like to party :p

Toyota may have, but Howett certainly doesn't have. :p :

DexDexter
17th October 2009, 22:22
What was that?

Nice way of saying "he wasn't interested". Corporate guy, Howett.

Saint Devote
18th October 2009, 03:39
Massa Is Convinced Alonso Knew about the Crash-gate in Singapore last year..

It looks that Felipe Massa doesn't seem too comfortable having Fernando Alonso as a teammate in 2010. Or else he wouldn't make the comments he did this week, regarding the Spaniard's potential involvement in the crash-gate. Being in Brazil and waiting for the start of the Interlagos race this weekend, the Ferrari-an seems convinced Alonso knew about the whole Singapore affair last year...

www.autoevolution.com/news/massa-is-convinced-alonso-knew-about-the-crash-gate-12036.html (http://www.autoevolution.com/news/massa-is-convinced-alonso-knew-about-the-crash-gate-12036.html)

And I must say -- i agree to that.. :blackeye:

Massa has a short memory. It appears that he is a sore loser contrary to what he said after Interlagos 2008.

So Massa is a hypocrite?

And then how does he know? Maybe Massa KNEW that his fellow Brazilian had conspired.

But this whole issue is not ended yet because Briatore is currently seeking avenues through French the justice system and not the kangaroo court of the FIA.

I think Raikkonen is well rid of the toxic Ferrari environment. The disgrace is that at Suzuka, apart from his engineer the whole team ignored him. Apparently the "fly on the wall" reports that nobody COULD even look him in the eye.

When he entered the teams area including the motorhome everyone suddenly got busy. He then left and went over and spent time with Mclaren including entering the pitlane through the Mclaren garages and not the garages of the Ferrari team.

jas123f1
18th October 2009, 11:40
Massa has a short memory. It appears that he is a sore loser contrary to what he said after Interlagos 2008.

So Massa is a hypocrite?

And then how does he know? Maybe Massa KNEW that his fellow Brazilian had conspired.

But this whole issue is not ended yet because Briatore is currently seeking avenues through French the justice system and not the kangaroo court of the FIA.

I think Raikkonen is well rid of the toxic Ferrari environment. The disgrace is that at Suzuka, apart from his engineer the whole team ignored him. Apparently the "fly on the wall" reports that nobody COULD even look him in the eye.

When he entered the teams area including the motorhome everyone suddenly got busy. He then left and went over and spent time with Mclaren including entering the pitlane through the Mclaren garages and not the garages of the Ferrari team.

Ok Kimi hade birthday yesterday and there were not so many congratulators – maybe?
And it's possible – that some of the staff doesn’t feel that good depending what’s going on..
I don’t know.. But I can’t believe that Alonso who rules at Renault didn’t know why he made that very early pit stop last year in Singapore.. starting 15 on the greed.. I don’t like to be hateful against Alonso (I even have a cat I gave name Alonso :) , but I’m not stupid either.. I can’t believe that Alonso didn’t ask why I must take that yearly pit stop and that they said to him “because”..

But that’s only my opinion :)

ioan
18th October 2009, 12:29

Well he's trying with the wrong justice system, he should try with a corrupted one like the Italian system, the French will not help a cheater with a criminal record.

ioan
18th October 2009, 12:31
Ok Kimi hade birthday yesterday and there were not so many congratulators – maybe?
And it's possible – that some of the staff doesn’t feel that good depending what’s going on..
I don’t know.. But I can’t believe that Alonso who rules at Renault didn’t know why he made that very early pit stop last year in Singapore.. starting 15 on the greed.. I don’t like to be hateful against Alonso (I even have a cat I gave name Alonso :) , but I’m not stupid either.. I can’t believe that Alonso didn’t ask why I must take that yearly pit stop and that they said to him “because”..

But that’s only my opinion :)

Alonso certainly knew however Bernie was not going to throw away a huge fanbase like that of Alonso, so Alonso was cleared, it's as simple as that.

DexDexter
18th October 2009, 12:33
Well he's trying with the wrong justice system, he should try with a corrupted one like the Italian system, the French will not help a cheater with a criminal record.

Flav should have asked advice from Berlusconi, he's got exprerience of law changes and turning things around etc. :D

Daniel
20th October 2009, 14:51
Toyota have made Kimi an offer, please don't take it Kimi its not all about the money..... :)

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=47241
My views are well documented. I think Kimi should go where the money is and then whenever S2000 cars become the premier class he should take his money and go rallying. But that's just my hopes ;)

I am evil Homer
20th October 2009, 14:56
It's really looking like McLaren or nothing for Kimi....Toyota can't even fully commit to F1

Daniel
20th October 2009, 14:56
It's really looking like McLaren or nothing for Kimi....Toyota can't even fully commit to F1
He should go with Toyota. Then he can get paid out for two contracts :cool:

harsha
20th October 2009, 15:00
He should go with Toyota. Then he can get paid out for two contracts :cool:

you really want him to go rallying don't ya :D

Daniel
20th October 2009, 15:02
you really want him to go rallying don't ya :D
Yup :D

Langdale Forest
20th October 2009, 18:31
At least he will not melt as easy in the WRC. :p

christophulus
20th October 2009, 19:38
I can't believe Raikkonen is seriously considering a move to Toyota. Eight years and several billion pounds and they still haven't won a race.

Is it that McLaren just haven't got the money? I can see why, paying Raikkonen and Hamilton several million when they've lost their title sponsor, (and possibly Mercedes) might not be affordable.

keysersoze
20th October 2009, 19:58
Kimi has already proven himself as a winner as well as a WDC. But except for his first year at Sauber, he's ONLY been in the best two teams.

I'm not saying he should go to Toyota, but if he does he truly has an opportunity to put a stamp on his legacy--to prove (if he cares to) that he can elevate a team--only the great ones can. I'm talking about putting himself in the same category as the modern giants: Stewart, Lauda, Prost, Senna, and Schumacher, Alonso . . . perhaps Piquet.

(As brilliant as he was, I cannot put Mika in that category, having won all his races with McLaren.)

MJW
20th October 2009, 19:59
Kimi to Toyota might just work out fine for KR if Toyota decide to quit after 2010 and re-enter the WRC in 2011. Kimi will be well placed at Toyota then.

Langdale Forest
20th October 2009, 20:26
Toyota should re-entre the WRC because there is a lack of manufactures there.

Giuseppe F1
20th October 2009, 21:26
Is it that McLaren just haven't got the money? I can see why, paying Raikkonen and Hamilton several million when they've lost their title sponsor, (and possibly Mercedes) might not be affordable.

Huh??? Who said McLaren are losing Vodafone?? Haven't heard that anywhere?

DexDexter
20th October 2009, 21:30
I can't believe Raikkonen is seriously considering a move to Toyota. Eight years and several billion pounds and they still haven't won a race.

I think Kimi is asking Mclaren to pay him the same amount of money they pay Lewis, and there is really no reason why Kimi should have a lower salary than Lewis. He doesn't need the money, the amount money they are willing to pay just shows how much they value him and want him.

Koz
20th October 2009, 23:22
Kimi has already proven himself as a winner as well as a WDC. But except for his first year at Sauber, he's ONLY been in the best two teams.

I'm not saying he should go to Toyota, but if he does he truly has an opportunity to put a stamp on his legacy--to prove (if he cares to) that he can elevate a team--only the great ones can. I'm talking about putting himself in the same category as the modern giants: Stewart, Lauda, Prost, Senna, and Schumacher, Alonso . . . perhaps Piquet.

(As brilliant as he was, I cannot put Mika in that category, having won all his races with McLaren.)

Exactly my thoughts!
He needs to make himself a team, a team around him. To win a race and championship with toyota.

I think toyota will definitely stay in F1 if they have Kimi, all they need is one hotshot to play test dummy and eventually succeed Kimi...

raikk
21st October 2009, 04:02
Kimi at Toyota would just take a lot of time that Kimi doesn't have..It takes more then a year to develop a car and Raikko says he was to step into something competitive.. Mclaren is by far the best fit for what he wants.

Koz
21st October 2009, 06:30
Kimi at Toyota would just take a lot of time that Kimi doesn't have..It takes more then a year to develop a car and Raikko says he was to step into something competitive.. Mclaren is by far the best fit for what he wants.

I am not sure if Toyota is really that bad this season... The drivers don't seem too great.

They have had 5 podiums this year, which is the same as McLaren, and one less than Ferrari - both teams who have "superstar" drivers compared to Trulli and Glock. Surely if Lewis or Kimi were in the Toyota, they would have had equal if not better results?

christophulus
21st October 2009, 07:56
Huh??? Who said McLaren are losing Vodafone?? Haven't heard that anywhere?

Sorry, I meant Santander. You're quite right, Vodafone are hanging around as far as I know.

Still, two drivers on £15m a year (I think) is quite a commitment when funds are tight. I reckon McLaren is the best place for Kimi, McLaren surely can't make another dog of a car next year..

gloomyDAY
21st October 2009, 08:08
Kimi should go to McLaren. They need him more than Kimi needs them. Reason? WCC. Alonso is going to take the title next year, but at least McLaren will have the ability to take the WCC with Lewis and Kimi.

Sorry, I meant Santander. You're quite right, Vodafone are hanging around as far as I know.

Still, two drivers on £15m a year (I think) is quite a commitment when funds are tight. I reckon McLaren is the best place for Kimi, McLaren surely can't make another dog of a car next year..I thought Santander were still onboard with McClaren.

SGWilko
21st October 2009, 09:35
I think Kimi is asking Mclaren to pay him the same amount of money they pay Lewis, and there is really no reason why Kimi should have a lower salary than Lewis. He doesn't need the money, the amount money they are willing to pay just shows how much they value him and want him.

Kimi chose to leave McLaren. If he wants to return, I don't see him being in a particularly strong position to call the shots.

Best way is to sign him to a performance contract - as in dangle the triple filtered - to make sure he doesn't go off the boil.

SGWilko
21st October 2009, 09:37
McClaren.

Your bad

http://www.mclaren.co.uk/

Egg + face?

jens
21st October 2009, 20:15

It could be the other way around too - McLaren wants to evaluate, how committed Kimi is to F1 by not paying him a mega-salary. By the way, he gets a lot of money from Ferrari/Santander as compensation anyway, so McLaren's stance of paying "not that much" is completely justified.

raikk
22nd October 2009, 06:35
I am not sure if Toyota is really that bad this season... The drivers don't seem too great.

They have had 5 podiums this year, which is the same as McLaren, and one less than Ferrari - both teams who have "superstar" drivers compared to Trulli and Glock. Surely if Lewis or Kimi were in the Toyota, they would have had equal if not better results?

I'm not so sure about that.. Mclaren came from way behind to become fast in the second half of the season while Toyota have for the most part remained dormant ..Not sure you can give too much credit to Hamilton (but it did help)..The difference between the drivers is not as big of a gap as many would think, it just depends what car your in.

SGWilko
22nd October 2009, 07:37
I'm not so sure about that.. Mclaren came from way behind to become fast in the second half of the season while Toyota have for the most part remained dormant ..Not sure you can give too much credit to Hamilton (but it did help)..The difference between the drivers is not as big of a gap as many would think, it just depends what car your in.

The way I see it is this...

If a relatively average rookie in Kobayashi can come in and do reasonably well against his benchmark - teammate - then the teammate is clearly not that special.

All the teams made vast strides on performance, so Toyota have kept up. Toyota seems to be the Eastbourne of the F1 world, where all the drivers go to finish up their career. Management need to get a proper driver in there. I don't advocate Kimi though, I don't see him keeping his pecker up while the team rebuilds.

ArrowsFA1
22nd October 2009, 07:57
Toyota seems to be the Eastbourne of the F1 world, where all the drivers go to finish up their career.
:laugh: :laugh:

DexDexter
22nd October 2009, 08:48
Kimi chose to leave McLaren. If he wants to return, I don't see him being in a particularly strong position to call the shots.

Best way is to sign him to a performance contract - as in dangle the triple filtered - to make sure he doesn't go off the boil.

But my point is it is very hard for Mclaren to explain to Kimi why they would pay him less than Hamilton, since Kimi is a more succesful driver than Hamilton. Promise of equal treatment doesn't sound very trustworthy if they pay him less than the other driver, who, on the basis of statistical evidence, is not any better.

It could be the other way around too - McLaren wants to evaluate, how committed Kimi is to F1 by not paying him a mega-salary. By the way, he gets a lot of money from Ferrari/Santander as compensation anyway, so McLaren's stance of paying "not that much" is completely justified.

For the first year I could understand it, but if they do a two-year deal, they have to pay Kimi as much as Lewis in the second year. If they want him that is.

Koz
22nd October 2009, 09:26

Both toyota drivers are ahead of Hekki. Glock did not participate in the last two race. And toyota have had back to back podiums.

If drivers aren't that big of a difference, why the huge difference between Kimi and Fisi or Lewis and Heki.

Koz
22nd October 2009, 09:36
But my point is it is very hard for Mclaren to explain to Kimi why they would pay him less than Hamilton, since Kimi is a more succesful driver than Hamilton. Promise of equal treatment doesn't sound very trustworthy if they pay him less than the other driver, who, on the basis of statistical evidence, is not any better.

I totally agree. Obviously if there is even a 1c difference then Kimi will be treated as an equal.
But then if you look at the statistics... Lewis is a better driver. Kimi has 3 times more starts than Lewis and only 7 more wins.

But statistics aren't everything and everyone knows the quality that is Kimi Räikkönen.
Now Mclaren and Lewis are a different story, and chances are if he goes back he will play second fiddle to Hamilton - such a driver can't be wasted in this way.

I am evil Homer
22nd October 2009, 12:02

For the first year I could understand it, but if they do a two-year deal, they have to pay Kimi as much as Lewis in the second year. If they want him that is.

True...but how much does Kimi want to be in F1 in two years time? He also had to commit to McLaren over that period. If he wants money he should go to Toyota, if he wants the chance to compete he should go to McLaren.

McLaren has the bargaining position, not Kimi, because they still have Hamilton and coudl just as easily bring in DiResta or Heidfeld for less money.

DexDexter
22nd October 2009, 13:26
McLaren has the bargaining position, not Kimi, because they still have Hamilton and coudl just as easily bring in DiResta or Heidfeld for less money.

IMO you're underestimating Kimi's market value. I hear all the teams bar Ferrari were/are interested in him.

I totally agree. Obviously if there is even a 1c difference then Kimi will be treated as an equal.
But then if you look at the statistics... Lewis is a better driver. Kimi has 3 times more starts than Lewis and only 7 more wins.

Well, you said it, Kimi has more wins than Lewis, and even if Lewis has much fewer starts, he still has to win those 7 races. The statistics are not important in this matter, I just brought them up as evidence of Kimi being on Lewis' level which probably is the basis for him asking the same money.

Roamy
23rd October 2009, 08:18
has nothing to do with it - Kimi spent many years in a car not capable of winning. Lewis has spent none. If I were Kimi I would take the Toyota deal he would do quite well there. Probably Kubica is wishing he took it with the possibility of Renault leaving now.

Garry Walker
23rd October 2009, 11:05
IMO you're underestimating Kimi's market value. I hear all the teams bar Ferrari were/are interested in him.

It is not the same as Hamiltons, because
1) Kimi is not the most talkative person
2) He is not black
3) Finland is not exactly as big of a player in Financial world as UK.

555-04Q2
23rd October 2009, 11:47
Kimi wont go to McLaren. Button will drive at McLaren in 2010.

snellman
23rd October 2009, 16:52
confirmed? no i thought so

harsha
28th October 2009, 11:58
anyway , Abu Dhabi is gonna be Kimi's last race with the ferrari...hoping for a Kimi win

F1boat
28th October 2009, 15:10

I think that Mercedes will decide this.

Koz
28th October 2009, 18:35
The future of Kimi, I know it is in talks with McLaren, with Brawn, with Red Bull. I know that in 2010 will be a great opponent.

http://club.quotidianonet.ilsole24ore.com/turrini/io_stefano_domenicali_rispondo_che

Boudica
29th October 2009, 01:01
"Team principal Whitmarsh is continuing negotiations with Raikkonen. English F1 Racing asks him who of McLaren's drivers would have been his dream team.

– We had Senna-Prost and that didn't work too well. We had Hamilton-Alonso and that didn't work too well either.

– Perharps the best working pairing from our drivers would have been Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen. With them it would have worked. Both are straightforward drivers who concentrate on the driving. Special personalities but intelligent and clever and can give all the necessary feedback to their engineers, Whitmarsh says."

Boudica
29th October 2009, 02:08
Raikkonen guarantee for the presence of Mercedes

It is considered almost certain that Kimi Raikkonen will be a McLaren driver in 2010. However, the conclusion has been reached after a long time and it will definitely be done after Abu Dhabi. But two obstacles must be overcome.

The first and most worrying, is the relationship between McLaren and Mercedes. The German manufacturer has assured of their presence until the end of their contract, ie until 2011. In fact, Raikkonen got the assurance that the Woking team is fully supported by Mercedes until the end of his contract. This ensures two years of Mercedes's presence in the backing of the Woking team.

The second question is concerning the Mercedes engine, which might lose its dominance in 2010. The Finn is seeking technical guarantees from the manufacturer, guarantees that have been slow to come. On the McLaren side, their charge during 2009 convinced the world champion about their ability to return to the front of the stage.

For the contract, Mercedes-Benz offered the same contract that had been proposed to Kimi Raikkonen in 2006 to keep him in 2007 and 2008 in McLaren alongside Fernando Alonso. A concrete contract, for two seasons, with technical and sporting guaranteed fairness. Which should comfort everyone.

http://www.tomorrownewsf1.com/f1-mclaren-raikkonen-garanti-la-presence-de-mercedes-8624

Dzeidzei
29th October 2009, 12:24
Kimi has now confirmed that his only option is McLaren. Ha hasnt even talked to Toyota. Things should be clear in a few days.

Source: Finnish MTV3

Julle69
29th October 2009, 13:01
So after this weekend we know if Kimi is in F1 business next year or not...

jas123f1
29th October 2009, 14:43
Raikkonen: McLaren the only option..
29.10.2009 13:56

... Kimi Räikkönen told MTV3 that McLaren team is his only option for the employer. (Google translated :b) ...

More info in couple of days (if not earlier) after the Dubai race.. I think the McLaren’s decision will also give info about Kovalainen’s future..

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/f1/2009/10/985468

truefan72
29th October 2009, 15:00
I do want Kimi at Mclaren, but he's got to lower his expectations a bit in terms of salary. he's already getting 27mill from Ferrari and should accept a reasonable salary from the macs. He'd still be the highest paid driver by miles and in championship caliber team.

If his manager continues to play hardball then I think the Mclaren will look elsewhere to fill that slot, possibly sutil, heidfeld or retaining kovy.

harsha
29th October 2009, 15:02
I don't think Kimi's manager can play hardball....he's one of f1's top talents but he needs to have a salary on par with Hamilton...not the unrealistic amount they were paying him @ ferrari

Boudica
29th October 2009, 21:59
The deal is done, Kimi wouldn't say anything about Mclaren being his only option, if the deal wasn't already done he always counts his words very carefully. This is almost as good as a confirmation, you will not get any clearer then that from Kimi. It has been reported that the announcement could be made on Tuesday.

Valve Bounce
29th October 2009, 22:10
I'll believe it when it is reported in The Bild.

Koz
29th October 2009, 23:07
I have a bad feeling...

raikk
30th October 2009, 02:42
Ohh man a Raikkonen Hamilton pairing, for sure the best on the grid! Montreal better get their together ,so that I have the possibility of seeing this power house next year :D

Valve Bounce
30th October 2009, 04:39
Give Kimi a fast car and he will make it go even faster. :eek:

leopard
30th October 2009, 05:32
agree valve

truefan72
30th October 2009, 11:35
I'll be happy if the deal is done,

because that team of Lewis and kimi will be incredibly tough to beat next year.

I still think that Hamilton will have the slighter upper hand, but he has proved before that he is unfazed by who drives the other car and that attitude seems to serve him well. Kimi will be back where he belongs and with a teammate that can match him, without the pressure of being the team leader, testing or other obligations. All he has to do is drive the thing.

snellman
30th October 2009, 23:03
I can picture it now :D
Hamilton: he was in the way :fasttalk:
Kimi: yeah whatever (Taking a stroll to the freezer) :s mokin:

keysersoze
31st October 2009, 01:38
Kimi, I'm put off with your apparent attitude about going to a team like Toyota, saying something to the effect that you don't want to drive a slow car.

What, do you lack confidence in making a car quicker? The current 'Yoter has proven time and again that it is a Q3 car, and has even found its way to the front row several times as well as a pair of 2nd place finishes.

So, there's only two teams you would drive for? That's being an elitist. You clearly don't care about working hard and persevering, challenging yourself to rise above and perhaps shock the world, doing something few drivers could do (win in three different teams) and perhaps ensure your legacy. You want a winning car just handed to you.

I hope someone else gets the other McLaren seat.

harsha
31st October 2009, 01:45
Kimi, I'm put off with your apparent attitude about going to a team like Toyota, saying something to the effect that you don't want to drive a slow car.

What, do you lack confidence in making a car quicker? The current 'Yoter has proven time and again that it is a Q3 car, and has even found its way to the front row several times as well as a pair of 2nd place finishes.

So, there's only two teams you would drive for? That's being an elitist. You clearly don't care about working hard and persevering, challenging yourself to rise above and perhaps shock the world, doing something few drivers could do (win in three different teams) and perhaps ensure your legacy. You want a winning car just handed to you.

why would a WDC like Kimi choose something other than the best alternative :?: ...That was what Alonso did when he went to Mclaren in 2007 and now with Ferrari in 2010

If a driver had a choice between Mclaren and Toyota,any driver for that matter and they were both offering him the same conditions in the contract,who in his right mind would take Toyota ahead of Mclaren

Koz
31st October 2009, 06:37

Kimi has been my favorite driver, since he was in F1. But I totally agree with you on this one. Now I think I understand why Ferrari wanted to ditch him.

We'll see what happens next year, but I have the feeling Hamilton will thrash him, fairly or otherwise, and he just won't care.
In a team like Toyota he would have had to prove himself - I am beginning to think there is some reality to the talk of Kimi being only good because he has always been in the best machinery throughout his career.

We shall see.

Koz
31st October 2009, 06:41
why would a WDC like Kimi choose something other than the best alternative :?: ...That was what Alonso did when he went to Mclaren in 2007 and now with Ferrari in 2010

If a driver had a choice between Mclaren and Toyota,any driver for that matter and they were both offering him the same conditions in the contract,who in his right mind would take Toyota ahead of Mclaren

That's not the issue. The issue is "either McLaren or nothing". That attitude is bull, makes you think the man has done what he came for, he was champion - he made a few hundred million dollars and now just doesn't give a . My way or the highway attitude.

harsha
31st October 2009, 09:28
I am beginning to think there is some reality to the talk of Kimi being only good because he has always been in the best machinery throughout his career.

We shall see.

the Car in 2003 was a dog to drive,probably the third best car in the grid @ that time...2005,the car was unreliable...still Kimi was competing for the world championship

harsha
31st October 2009, 09:33
and for that matter,why would anyone choose Toyota when the Toyota heads @ Japan have given indication that they might pull the plug @ F1 anytime

keysersoze
31st October 2009, 13:02

Koz perfectly answered your question for me.

Alonso could have taken 2008 off; instead, for two years he drove what was clearly not a top car. Alonso perhaps knows there is honor in getting the best out of the car and the team--that winning isn't the only satisfaction.

He also suggested that Brawn wasn't good enough for him, which is suspicious. Does he think they won't be a front-runner next season? Highly unlikely. Dis he find out that they can't pay him what he wants?

JRodrigues
31st October 2009, 15:17

Alonso could have taken 2008 off; instead, for two years he drove what was clearly not a top car. Alonso perhaps knows there is honor in getting the best out of the car and the team--that winning isn't the only satisfaction.

He also suggested that Brawn wasn't good enough for him, which is suspicious. Does he think they won't be a front-runner next season? Highly unlikely. Dis he find out that they can't pay him what he wants?

So why did Alonso choose Ferrari for next year and not USF1, Campos, or Lotus?!? Total BS..

keysersoze
31st October 2009, 15:27
So why did Alonso choose Ferrari for next year and not USF1, Campos, or Lotus?!? Total BS..

Because if you had been watching F1 this season, you may have noticed Ferrari weren't that good. Alonso can get to prove he can elevate a team--again--and make a hatfull of dough. Can't do that at a lesser team. It's also been one of his childhood dreams. In the early part of FA's career, Michael was there, so to switch was impossible, since MS demanded #1 status. Now is the time to realize a career goal.

Another aspect is that Alonso hasn't categorically announced, "I would drive for only these two teams."

JRodrigues
31st October 2009, 15:50
Because if you had been watching F1 this season, you may have noticed Ferrari weren't that good. Alonso can get to prove he can elevate a team--again--and make a hatfull of dough. Can't do that at a lesser team. It's also been one of his childhood dreams. In the early part of FA's career, Michael was there, so to switch was impossible, since MS demanded #1 status. Now is the time to realize a career goal.

Another aspect is that Alonso hasn't categorically announced, "I would drive for only these two teams."

And what has McLaren done this season? They are one point ahead of Ferrari even though they have 2 scoring drivers, agains Ferrari's only one (imagine who that could be)

Dream drive.. bla bla bla.. He wants to be in Ferrari because it's the only place he can win, period. He's not wanted in McLaren, RBR is full and Brawn doesn't seem to like him. Why doesn't he go to Toyota as well?

keysersoze
31st October 2009, 20:15
And what has McLaren done this season? They are one point ahead of Ferrari even though they have 2 scoring drivers, agains Ferrari's only one (imagine who that could be)

Dream drive.. bla bla bla.. He wants to be in Ferrari because it's the only place he can win, period. He's not wanted in McLaren, RBR is full and Brawn doesn't seem to like him. Why doesn't he go to Toyota as well?

What has McLaren done? They have proven, once again, that they more than any team, can make a decent / bad car better. They were completely lost at the beginning of the year, and are undoubtedly the hottest team at the end. Hamilton's 4 poles and 2 wins in the second half is proof. In the first 9 races, Lewis had 8 points; however, in the last 7 races, he has 40 points--well clear of the rest of the field. This is so staggering because Hamilton is NOT a tried-and-true test driver AND there hasn't been any in-testing anyway. Macca's success is all about RESOURCES. No wonder Kimi wants to go there--he doesn't have to develop the car, and be virtually guaranteed that they will have a car that they can unload and be at the front.

Keep bringing that weak "bla bla, BS" attempt to discredit my case. I'm enjoying this.

JRodrigues
31st October 2009, 20:57
What has McLaren done? They have proven, once again, that they more than any team, can make a decent / bad car better. They were completely lost at the beginning of the year, and are undoubtedly the hottest team at the end. Hamilton's 4 poles and 2 wins in the second half is proof. In the first 9 races, Lewis had 8 points; however, in the last 7 races, he has 40 points--well clear of the rest of the field. This is so staggering because Hamilton is NOT a tried-and-true test driver AND there hasn't been any in-testing anyway. Macca's success is all about RESOURCES. No wonder Kimi wants to go there--he doesn't have to develop the car, and be virtually guaranteed that they will have a car that they can unload and be at the front.

Keep bringing that weak "bla bla, BS" attempt to discredit my case. I'm enjoying this.

So Kimi has made the 2nd most points than anyone else, with only him to develop the car. In the first 9 races Kimi had 10 points. In the last 7 he has 38. With the team fully concentrated on the 2010 car (so Mr. Alonso can have a car that's a lot more developed than anyone else).

And what has Mr. Alonso done this year with the Renault?!? Where is mr. ultra-car-developer? Today he said that the Renault was the worst car if the grid.. So why can't mr. ultra-car-developer change that? He started with a 5th place in Australia, so I wasn't such a bad car in the begging of the season.. Where are his ultra-skills?

keysersoze
1st November 2009, 02:38
So Kimi has made the 2nd most points than anyone else, with only him to develop the car. In the first 9 races Kimi had 10 points. In the last 7 he has 38. With the team fully concentrated on the 2010 car (so Mr. Alonso can have a car that's a lot more developed than anyone else).

And what has Mr. Alonso done this year with the Renault?!? Where is mr. ultra-car-developer? Today he said that the Renault was the worst car if the grid.. So why can't mr. ultra-car-developer change that? He started with a 5th place in Australia, so I wasn't such a bad car in the begging of the season.. Where are his ultra-skills?

Kimi has been developing the car? Kimi has pointed out, and so has the team, that they have ceased developing the car. The reason they got more competitive during the season was they developed a double-diffuser after it was deemed legal, then they came to a few tracks that favored the KERS-equipped cars.

The Renault is quite a bad car, which makes it all the more staggering that Fernando has two front row starts, and several grid positions in the 6-8th slots. His teammates have failed to score while he's accrued 26 points with only one podium.

Check out the recent thread about the importance of the car vs the driver--"Perpetual Question"--where I had a lengthy post about Alonso's contributions to his teams. It's pretty clear that he's brought a great deal to whatever team he's gone to. As for this year's sled, I've already pointed out that the testing ban has put paid to any car making great strides--only the double-diffuser has brought about significant change.

Koz
1st November 2009, 03:12

I recall in 2007 Fernando said "I will be in F1 in 2008", didn't he?

He didn't turn into a pansy and say "Oh if Ferrari don't offer me a seat then, then F1 can go to hell." - This is what Kimi has said.

Kimi made his money and now just does not care, simple as that.

IMO, if Alonso had no other choice, he would have gone USF1 or whatever.

F1boat
1st November 2009, 07:56
Brawn doesn't seem to like him.

Ross Brawn invited him in the Honda team last year. He offered him a place in the team for this season. But Fernando was convinced that the Renault will produce a better car, because while Ross invited him he won two races for Renault and Honda still struggled.

DexDexter
1st November 2009, 08:38

His childhood dream was to drive for Mclaren, you know the yellow helmet etc. He said it himself.

Kimi has been developing the car? Kimi has pointed out, and so has the team, that they have ceased developing the car. The reason they got more competitive during the season was they developed a double-diffuser after it was deemed legal, then they came to a few tracks that favored the KERS-equipped cars.

The Renault is quite a bad car, which makes it all the more staggering that Fernando has two front row starts, and several grid positions in the 6-8th slots. His teammates have failed to score while he's accrued 26 points with only one podium.

The major reason why they've had good results in the latter part of the season is the oustanding performance of the Finnish driver in the car. By the way, how good are Roman Grosjean or Nelson Piquet? :) I don't think anyone should boast about beating those two drivers. It's funny how Fernando has to point out that while Kimi has not said anything about the fact that he is simply destroying Fisi. Different characters, you know.

DexDexter
1st November 2009, 08:40

The major reason why they've had good results in the latter part of the season is the oustanding performance of the Finnish driver in the car.

Dzeidzei
1st November 2009, 10:36
He didn't turn into a pansy and say "Oh if Ferrari don't offer me a seat then, then F1 can go to hell." - This is what Kimi has said.

Buhuu. Seems like you dont know sh!t. Both of these points are false.

1st November 2009, 10:37
Different characters, you know.

I agree with you....one is a motivated character determined to get the very best out of the team and the other is a demotivational, lazy overpaid disappointment who has a negative effect on galvanising a team.

I'm delighted that today is the last time we will see Raikkonen in a Ferrari...good riddance Kimi and thank you for your lack of interest.

1st November 2009, 10:46
His childhood dream was to drive for Mclaren, you know the yellow helmet etc. He said it himself.

Erm...that was Hamilton, not Fernando.

BeansBeansBeans
1st November 2009, 10:54
I'm delighted that today is the last time we will see Raikkonen in a Ferrari...good riddance Kimi and thank you for your lack of interest.

Is Raikkonen really disinterested? Or is that just a perception based on a misunderstanding of his personality?

1st November 2009, 11:03
Is Raikkonen really disinterested? Or is that just a perception based on a misunderstanding of his personality?

Well, clearly Ferrari misunderstood his personality when they signed him, and that is their mistake.

Thankfully they have now rectified that error.

1st November 2009, 11:05

Seriously, though.....Misunderstood personality?

This is supposedly a professional top-class Formula One driver, not some teenage emo.

At $45million per annum, Kimi owed a debt to his employers to be understood. The way he let Massa (with Schumacher's support, true enough) lead the development of the F2008 away from Kimi's preferred style was not the actions of a motivated man nor of a man who understood what his role should be.

There is no way that Schumacher, nor Fernando nor Hamilton would have been so lame.

Valve Bounce
1st November 2009, 11:06

Beans!! you're back!! :)

Dave B
1st November 2009, 11:19
Erm...that was Hamilton, not Fernando.

Wrong, it was both. Alonso's words from February 2007:

According to Alonso, racing for McLaren, which will begin in earnest at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 18, had always been his dream.

"When I was a boy, my heroes were Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna and I used to watch them driving McLarens. In fact, I used to play with McLaren toy cars, too. So, to be a McLaren driver now really is a dream come true. I am so happy to be here. If I was a footballer, then I would like to play for Real Madrid, the team I support and love. Driving for McLaren is like playing for Real Madrid."

Source: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-23385927-alonso-driving-for-mclaren-is-like-playing-for-real-madrid.do

1st November 2009, 11:23
Wrong, it was both. Alonso's words from February 2007:

According to Alonso, racing for McLaren, which will begin in earnest at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 18, had always been his dream.

"When I was a boy, my heroes were Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna and I used to watch them driving McLarens. In fact, I used to play with McLaren toy cars, too. So, to be a McLaren driver now really is a dream come true. I am so happy to be here. If I was a footballer, then I would like to play for Real Madrid, the team I support and love. Driving for McLaren is like playing for Real Madrid."

Source: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-23385927-alonso-driving-for-mclaren-is-like-playing-for-real-madrid.do

Then I apologise.

He didn't mention Yellow Helmets though.

Dave B
1st November 2009, 11:26
As outsiders, we'll never really know. It's true that to the outside world Kimi presents a rather bland personality (or lack thereof), but he's won a World Championship with the team and recently bagged several podiums out of a car which has had no development since the summer, so he can't be all that bad!

BeansBeansBeans
1st November 2009, 11:27

This is supposedly a professional top-class Formula One driver, not some teenage emo.

Why can't a professional top-class Formula One driver not have a quiet, unruffled demeanour?

BeansBeansBeans
1st November 2009, 11:33
Beans!! you're back!! :)

And on my best behaviour.

I don't much care for prison food :p

Valve Bounce
1st November 2009, 11:35
And on my best behaviour.

I don't much care for prison food :p :D

snellman
1st November 2009, 11:47

it's just his personality, it's like when you are stupid and retarded.

1st November 2009, 21:07

Oh, I wouldn't go that far....Kimi ain't that.

BDunnell
1st November 2009, 22:49

Very unfair, in my opinion.

CaptainRaiden
2nd November 2009, 07:11
Why can't a professional top-class Formula One driver not have a quiet, unruffled demeanour?

That's because it's unacceptable at Ferrari, and the "tifosis" also are not okay with that. Extensive research has shown that the scarlet team and its "true" fans prefer a driver who absolutely HAS to have these talents below:

1. Has to be a cheat or involved in at least two or more F1 scandals, punt opponents off track to win championships, park in the middle of the track and then shrug his shoulders as if nothing happened. Apparently honesty is not an admired quality, too boring for them.

2. Has to slap the car, beat his chest, jump on the podium, wave around to the fans, have a smile extending beyond his face, a long chin or jaw, kiss and hug every mechanic in the garage, and gift them self-signed posters, and send postcards for Christmas. All this to show he cares, or else they don't feel "appreciated."

3. Do an extremely irritating impression of a concert maestro when the Italian national anthem is playing. *shudders*

Damn, all Kimi had to do was to sell his soul to the devil and take some lessons in acting your a$$ off for the camera. If he ends up at Mclaren, I guess he won't have to do anything extra than driving the pants off that car for the money he is paid........hopefully.

Dzeidzei
2nd November 2009, 07:41

Okay, I wont go for this. But been signed in September, who were you before?

Come on people, you can change name, but if youre lame, you´ll always stay lame.

Valve Bounce
2nd November 2009, 10:24
I think Kimi's performance next year will be the defining factor. All those guys who like to post insults now, well I bet they know nothing about Kimi and have never even spoken to him.

JRodrigues
2nd November 2009, 10:38
That's because it's unacceptable at Ferrari, and the "tifosis" also are not okay with that. Extensive research has shown that the scarlet team and its "true" fans prefer a driver who absolutely HAS to have these talents below:

1. Has to be a cheat or involved in at least two or more F1 scandals, punt opponents off track to win championships, park in the middle of the track and then shrug his shoulders as if nothing happened. Apparently honesty is not an admired quality, too boring for them.

2. Has to slap the car, beat his chest, jump on the podium, wave around to the fans, have a smile extending beyond his face, a long chin or jaw, kiss and hug every mechanic in the garage, and gift them self-signed posters, and send postcards for Christmas. All this to show he cares, or else they don't feel "appreciated."

3. Do an extremely irritating impression of a concert maestro when the Italian national anthem is playing. *shudders*

Damn, all Kimi had to do was to sell his soul to the devil and take some lessons in acting your a$$ off for the camera. If he ends up at Mclaren, I guess he won't have to do anything extra than driving the pants off that car for the money he is paid........hopefully.

Best post ever!! :D :D :D :D

2nd November 2009, 16:06

You forgot

4. Win 5 World titles on the trot, an era of total domination unsurpassed and untouched in the history of Formula One.

DexDexter
2nd November 2009, 18:09
You forgot

4. Win 5 World titles on the trot, an era of total domination unsurpassed and untouched in the history of Formula One.

And add to that, win those titles by hitting other cars if necessary or ordering a teammate to slow down before start/finish line on the final lap. Or stopping deliberately in the middle of the track in quali to gain advantage. We don't have those kinds of people over here, so we'll just have to do with these silent types such as Häkkinen or Kimi who only win one or two championships.

ioan
2nd November 2009, 18:53
Very unfair, in my opinion.

Agreed.

ioan
2nd November 2009, 18:55

I don't remember Senna and JPM ever being Ferrari drivers. :\

I'd like to work with such people. people who show enthusiasm for their work and who appreciate team work.

I can only shudder when I think about how you would have condemned him to death if it would have been the Indian anthem. :D

ioan
2nd November 2009, 19:01
And add to that, win those titles by hitting other cars if necessary...

I suppose you can back this up.

or ordering a teammate to slow down ...

Are you talking about Brazil 2007?!

Or stopping deliberately in the middle of the track
Never proven.

in quali to gain advantage.

What advantage?

Or maybe starting last was what got him 5th place on a track where it's almost impossible to overtake?
Wait he can't be that good. :laugh:

DexDexter
2nd November 2009, 19:08
I suppose you can back this up.

Never proven.

What advantage?

Or maybe starting last was what got him 5th place on a track where it's almost impossible to overtake?
Wait he can't be that good. :laugh:

You're just coming of a ban and I know you see red when discussing a certain German driver, so for the sake of this discussion board, I will not comment on the above. And I don't want to bother our only moderator.

Garry Walker
2nd November 2009, 19:34

A driver cannot make a car quicker, only engineers can do that. There is a reason why top drivers avoid Toyota like plague and that is that for years they have had a massive budget, but they have done nothing.
Going to Toyota would be a sign of a driver taking the easy road and just racing for money. Kimi has refused to do that and cares about winning.
Funny, if I was him, I would do the same.

He had no other choice. If he had taken 2 years off, it would have harmed his career massively. There was no honour involved, just the fact that he was fired by McLaren and wanted to save his career.

I recall in 2007 Fernando said "I will be in F1 in 2008", didn't he?

Kimi cares about only one thing. Winning. Other than that, he is not interested in driving for money in a team that cannot fight for podiums.

IMO, if Alonso had no other choice, he would have gone USF1 or whatever.Thats up to him.

Because if you had been watching F1 this season, you may have noticed Ferrari weren't that good.

But everyone knows next year they will be great again.
Alonso on the other hand, the super-developer he is, has done nothing with Renault for the last two years.

At $45million per annum, Kimi owed a debt to his employers to be understood. The way he let Massa (with Schumacher's support, true enough) lead the development of the F2008 away from Kimi's preferred style was not the actions of a motivated man nor of a man who understood what his role should be.

There is no way that Schumacher, nor Fernando nor Hamilton would have been so lame.
He is obviously a very shy person and not a leader or some to give motivational speeches and talk 24/7. That was obvious to everyone, all the time. If you want someone to cry and talk a lot of nonsense, Alonso is the perfect material. But prepared by get attacked by him, if Massa happens to be faster.
I hope Ferrari will have a disasterous year in 2010, Massa will leave and I can start cheering for him again.

As outsiders, we'll never really know. It's true that to the outside world Kimi presents a rather bland personality (or lack thereof), but he's won a World Championship with the team and recently bagged several podiums out of a car which has had no development since the summer, so he can't be all that bad!

Well, for someone, if you arent like Flavio Briatore and talk a lot of nonsense all the time and say controversial things, you have no personality. But is that really so?

Never proven.

We are both Schumacher fans and we both know what he did at Monaco in 2006. Even Ross Brawn admitted it at the end of the year.
He was always prepared to push the rules to very limit and that was a case of that.

BeansBeansBeans
2nd November 2009, 19:59
Well, for someone, if you arent like Flavio Briatore and talk a lot of nonsense all the time and say controversial things, you have no personality. But is that really so?

I don't think so.

We can't judge drivers on their media appearances.

Valve Bounce
2nd November 2009, 22:06
Look, I'm not a mod, and everyone knows how I felt about SchM. But this thread is about Kimi - so let's keep that diatribes about other drivers out of it guys!! Kimi is MY favourite driver, so lay off that other stuff!!

CaptainRaiden
3rd November 2009, 06:55
You forgot

Heh, let's not even go there. It's gonna open the pandora's box and who knows how many pages added to this thread.

I'll just say this, 7 championships or a 1000, I can't respect a ruthless cheat with no regards for the safety of his fellow drivers (Hill in 94 and Villenueve in 97).

I'd rather respect and cheer for drivers who do it honestly, who cares if they are boring? A driver is exciting in what he does in the car on the track, not what he does in the paddock or with his team. That's just my humble opinion.

We have now entered a new era of Formula 1, where with limited testing, driver input has gotten to a minimum. I would really like to see what the super developer is going to do when he gets his hands on the Ferrari only in February.

IMO there are gonna be some surprises next year.

CaptainRaiden
3rd November 2009, 07:27
I don't remember Senna and JPM ever being Ferrari drivers. :\

A pretty lame way to dodge the bullet. ;)

I'd like to work with such people. people who show enthusiasm for their work and who appreciate team work.

There is enthusiasm and then there is just plain a$$ kissing.

I can only shudder when I think about how you would have condemned him to death if it would have been the Indian anthem. :D

I would puke if he did the symphony maestro hand thingy on the Indian anthem. There shall not be a bigger insult. :D

No, I think he is talking about Austria 2001........or maybe Shanghai 2008? ;)

Valve Bounce
3rd November 2009, 08:14
Still harping on another driver in a thread about Kimi. Can we move back to the topic please?
As an aside, I asked this question in another thread and didn't get a response there, so I ask again: Assuming that Kimi was in that Brawn chasing Mark Webber, would Mark have come second? THAT is the burning question!!

CaptainRaiden
3rd November 2009, 08:28
Still harping on another driver in a thread about Kimi. Can we move back to the topic please?

Agreed. It's just that too much was being made of Kimi's "shy demeanor" and attitude.

As an aside, I asked this question in another thread and didn't get a response there, so I ask again: Assuming that Kimi was in that Brawn chasing Mark Webber, would Mark have come second? THAT is the burning question!!

I think that Kimi would have done it, simply because he is a better overtaker than Button (who IMO is very average). Probably he should have prepared by watching Suzuka 2005 or the Belgian GP this year (even though KERS helped, but it was still mostly Kimi). In fact either one of the three, namely Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel would also have overtaken him driving that Brawn.

I don't know how Button, who was half a second, and at times 7 tenths quicker than Webber during the latter part of the race, couldn't overtake him. Especially after he was given a pretty good lesson in overtaking by Kobayashi driving a Toyota, earlier in the race.

Hondo
3rd November 2009, 12:51

If Kimi had been in the second Brawn, He and Mark would have been DNF. Both of them would make up for lack of clear car advantage with pure, force of will, guts racing. Two seriously bad dogs fighting over a very small bone.

I do think Kimi is going to have to take a major pay cut to drive in F1 next year.

Dzeidzei
3rd November 2009, 13:17
I do think Kimi is going to have to take a major pay cut to drive in F1 next year.

Does that include the 45M compansation he´s getting from Santander?

ioan
3rd November 2009, 18:24
A pretty lame way to dodge the bullet. ;)

What bullet?!
You've got no bullet, only your hatred for the man.

pino
3rd November 2009, 19:29
Please let's keep this on topic...

DexDexter
3rd November 2009, 19:30
What bullet?!
You've got no bullet, only your hatred for the man.

The man is IMO the best F1 driver of all time, by the way.

Does that include the 45M compansation he´s getting from Santander?'

People have forgotten that already. Same goes for the Italian press, they are back to criticising Kimi and Spa is long forgotten.

jas123f1
3rd November 2009, 23:36
I think Kimi is a better all round driver than JB, but I'm not so sure he would have made that pass had he been driving the Brawn in those circumstances.

I think Kimi has done enough this season to impress after his slump in 2008, and I'll be surprised if he doesn't take up the Mclaren offer. :)

Agreed in both cases - I even think that JB would been fighting more if the fight had been about a win – and Webber is not very easy to overtake either.

I hope Kimi take the McLaren offer - I think the most important thing for him is not money but the possibility to get a best possible car to EVERY RACE.

Ferrari was giving Massa the first driver status and I don't think Kimi like to have the same situation one again. Not even with big money - So I believe that if the offer is without problems like that - then Kimi will be in a McLaren possible two year ..

Valve Bounce
4th November 2009, 00:24
Agreed in both cases - I even think that JB would been fighting more if the fight had been about a win – and Webber is not very easy to overtake either.

I hope Kimi take the McLaren offer - I think the most important thing for him is not money but the possibility to get a best possible car to EVERY RACE.

Ferrari was giving Massa the first driver status and I don't think Kimi like to have the same situation one again. Not even with big money - So I believe that if the offer is without problems like that - then Kimi will be in a McLaren possible two year ..

I have to agree with Executioner here. Bunsen was 0.7 seconds per lap faster than Mark, and was overhauling him easily, and caught up with him with many laps to spare. And furthermore, there was no pressure on Bunsen as he had already won the WDC; the heat was on Mark.

Under the circumstances, Kimi would have fought Mark tooth and nail for the last 6 laps, and he would have passed him. Kimi is a racer first of all, and that's what he does!!

And as ioan pointed out, Bunsen is a curbstone.

truefan72
4th November 2009, 01:23
I have to agree with Executioner here. Bunsen was 0.7 seconds per lap faster than Mark, and was overhauling him easily, and caught up with him with many laps to spare. And furthermore, there was no pressure on Bunsen as he had already won the WDC; the heat was on Mark.

Under the circumstances, Kimi would have fought Mark tooth and nail for the last 6 laps, and he would have passed him. Kimi is a racer first of all, and that's what he does!!

lol agreed :up:

airshifter
4th November 2009, 01:31

Kimi would have passed him within the first couple of laps after catching up.

Short of waving him past, Webber was very un-Webber like in that he moved over early, and made one deliberate move with nothing crazy thrown in. Jenson still couldn't stick it. He was probably still shaken up from when Kobay schooled him about outbraking himself. :laugh:

Valve Bounce
4th November 2009, 02:08
What a lot of guys here are bitching about is Kimi's high salary; well, that came about because Ferrari had to stump up those millions to lure Kimi from McLaren where he was showing up as the fastest guy on the track.
Why blame anyone just because he is offered a high salary. Could it be that the car was not ideally suited to Kimi's driving style this year, or more likely not as fast as the opposition?
I just hope that Kimi returns to McLaren, because McLaren will then have two blisteringly fast racers, and one gigantic headache in having the two in one team fighting for one championship. We can't ask for more next year, especially with Massa back teaming up with Alonso, Rosberg with Bunsen, and Webber with Fettel. (I do hope Rosberg is going to Brawn, isn't he?? )

gloomyDAY
4th November 2009, 03:28
I think Kimi's options are pretty much coming to a close.

Renault has Bobby & Timo, Brawn is likely to re-sign Button & bring along Rosberg, Toyota is going to bail from F1, Ferrari kicked Kimi out of the team, and McLaren have a vacancy alongside Hamilton.

F--- it! Kimi should just sign up with McLaren. Screw the salary. That boy isn't going to starve to death anytime soon.

CaptainRaiden
4th November 2009, 06:50
Ferrari kicked Kimi out of the team

Nobody kicked anybody anywhere. Unfortunately sponsor money talked and Kimi had to make way for Alonso, because the Spanish bank Santander wanted a Spanish rider in a team they would be title sponsors of. And of course, they don't want a high caliber driver in the other seat threatening to beat Alonso. The only reason why Santander even went to Mclaren was for Alonso, signing a three year contract, not knowing he was gonna get sacked after an year.

If Nokia, Nordea or any other big Finnish bank cared to be, or have enough money to be Ferrari's title sponsor, Kimi would be the number one driver in the team right now.

Ferrari couldn't sack Massa after his unfortunate accident. They HAD to keep him in the seat, and take a chance on whether he'd be the same after his recovery, or else they'd look like complete villains to the world. And because of all this, Kimi had to make way.

It's disgusting how much sponsor money talks in F1.

F1boat
4th November 2009, 06:53

Very unfair. Jenson overtook a lot of people this season, including Lewis Hamilton in Bahrain and Fernando Alonso in Malaysia. I remember the case with Alonso, Raikkonen was unable to pass him even if the Ferrari was clearly faster than the Renault. So this is very unfair for Jenson. Jenson is a good overtaker. However, he likes to finish races too, so he would not retire in vain attempt to pass a driver when it is not possible a la Raikkonen in Belgium 2008.
Please note that I like both Jenson and Kimi and to be honest, believe that Raikkonen is better than Button. However, to say that Jenson is not a racer, a curbstone, is very unfair and, honestly, stupid.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2009, 08:27
Nice to see some support for Bunsen.
That last statement of mine about what ioan said is really tongue in cheek. I just forgot to add the smilie. But I do feel that Kimi would have passed Mark, and Bunsen didn't. That's all!!

ArrowsFA1
4th November 2009, 08:44
I think Kimi's options are pretty much coming to a close.
It's McLaren or nothing if Kimi wants a chance of winning races.

The sticking point might be salary. Kimi's management have done an extraordinary job for their boy so far but they may find McLaren aren't willing to pay big bucks this time around. Perhaps only Toyota were but that particular door's now shut.

F1boat
4th November 2009, 09:44
It's McLaren or nothing if Kimi wants a chance of winning races.

The sticking point might be salary. Kimi's management have done an extraordinary job for their boy so far but they may find McLaren aren't willing to pay big bucks this time around. Perhaps only Toyota were but that particular door's now shut.

Ross Brawn also commented that Kimi is too expensive.
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/11/03/raikkonen-too-expensive-says-brawn/
"However, what does Ross make of the requested figures from the man who was the highest-paid driver on the grid in 2009? "Too expensive," the Englishman said of Räikkönen. "His management negotiate as if there is no seperation from Ferrari."

Of course, as we see with Jenson, Ross is a bit stingy /he reminds me of Frank Williams/, but if McLaren find Kimi expensive, maybe Brawn has a point with the problem.

Dave B
4th November 2009, 10:37
With Toyota out of the picture it's becoming a buyer's market. Kimi needs McLaren more than they need him, and as such they are well placed to pick up a bargain.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2009, 10:48
Things are different these days. We've had several young drivers break into F1 and do well, like Lewis Hamilton and Fettel, and Sutil is not that bad either. The point is, these young guys are not only good drivers, they start with small salaries. I think GP2 has done budding drivers a world of good. Now Frank has hired Hulkingberg, (or similar), and who knows, Lewis might do even better if he didn't have Kimi as a partner. I'm sure there are many others who would just love a chance at McLaren and might accept a pittance (relatively) to drive there. As some have already pointed out, Kimi's manager may just have priced Kimi out of a seat next year.

Storm
4th November 2009, 11:55
So you would rather have Sutil than Kimi in your car if you were McLaren? :crazy:

get ready for more bone-headed moves and first lap crashes then.

I am evil Homer
4th November 2009, 12:02
You never know...going to McLaren might be the making of Sutil, sometimes a driver and team/car just click. Happened to Frentzen at Jordan and I never thought he was a particualrly outstanding driver, just made the most of what he had at the time.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2009, 12:53
So you would rather have Sutil than Kimi in your car if you were McLaren? :crazy:

get ready for more bone-headed moves and first lap crashes then.

Maybe Lewis would :p :

Then, there's always Jr :D

markabilly
4th November 2009, 13:01
kim makes 50 m doing nothing or 20m from ferrari plus whaever else he gets driving for someone else is the rumor....why should he drive for less than 30m from some team???? Because he is a racer, u say???

Well, something seems to happen to drivers once they start making big dollars....they would rather get 25M like JV and run at the back of the pack, then make 10M in a winning race car

lose 30M by driving? Not if you are in it for the money

rabf1
4th November 2009, 14:22
"Kimi needs McLaren more than they need him"

Not if he gets $50mm from Ferrari if he does not drive but only $20mm if he does. If he really will get $50mm not to drive, he is goig to be sitting out next year.

rabf1
4th November 2009, 18:07
If I were him, I'd pocket the $50mm and go rallying. He had a nice F1 career. But I seriously doubt that Ferrari was retarded enough to pay him $50mm. It would have made far more sense to farm out Massa for a year to another team and pair kimi with Fred than to pay Kimi $50mm for nothing just so Massa could drive next to Fred next year.

keysersoze
4th November 2009, 19:02
If KR would be willing to substantially reduce his asking price, he's the clear choice. If he's making 25,000,000 euros from Ferrari to leave ($37,000,000), I don't see why he can't settle for 5 million euros from Macca--then he'd be quite close to his 2009 salary of $45,000,000.

If not, he can take a hike merely on principle of the matter. Of course it's a gamble, but I'd be willing to take Sutil for the following reasons:

1) Since Adrian and Lewis are pals, that pairing is more likely to foster a healthy team spirit.

2) Adrian costs less--WAY less.

3) Adrian is clearly motivated. According to the reports, he wasn't on retainer (but was probably paid by personal sponsors), and this would be his ONLY opportunity to prove that he belongs in F1 and to be able to earn serious F1 dollars.

4) Based on his Monza performance (as well as his Monaco performance two years ago), Adrian has suggested he can handle the pressure of running up front.

5) Adrian knows what it is like to struggle constantly to get more pace out of the car, whereas Kimi has been given good cars throughout his career.

6) Although I'm a Fisi fan, I have to admit Adrian seemed slightly quicker (yes, I know Fisi had more points and that the qualifying tally was 6-6), and if he can hang with a 3-time GP winner, he can be an asset at McLaren.

ioan
4th November 2009, 21:29

Actually Flavio takes the accolades for that one. ;)

christophulus
4th November 2009, 22:57
If not, he can take a hike merely on principle of the matter. Of course it's a gamble, but I'd be willing to take Sutil for the following reasons:

1) Since Adrian and Lewis are pals, that pairing is more likely to foster a healthy team spirit.

2) Adrian costs less--WAY less.

3) Adrian is clearly motivated. According to the reports, he wasn't on retainer (but was probably paid by personal sponsors), and this would be his ONLY opportunity to prove that he belongs in F1 and to be able to earn serious F1 dollars.

4) Based on his Monza performance (as well as his Monaco performance two years ago), Adrian has suggested he can handle the pressure of running up front.

5) Adrian knows what it is like to struggle constantly to get more pace out of the car, whereas Kimi has been given good cars throughout his career.

6) Although I'm a Fisi fan, I have to admit Adrian seemed slightly quicker (yes, I know Fisi had more points and that the qualifying tally was 6-6), and if he can hang with a 3-time GP winner, he can be an asset at McLaren.

All good points. It'd probably be a good move for Sutil too, McLaren can develop him better as a driver than Force India could - Hamilton has certainly matured this year - and he's at least as fast as Kovalainen was, although not in the same league as Raikkonen.

It's a handy B-option anyway. Plus him bringing some sponsorship wouldn't go amiss :)

markabilly
5th November 2009, 02:41
Okay let me put it this way, you want to drive an F1 car in 2010, and the price is that you have to give up something like 10, 20 million dollars (the drop of $30M from the ferrari paycheck being made up by whatever he gets driving for someone else such as mac)---$10M to 20M, would any of you give up ten million or more????

esp. if u already have one WDC to your name?????

gloomyDAY
5th November 2009, 02:47
Okay let me put it this way, you want to drive an F1 car in 2010, and the price is that you have to give up something like 10, 20 million dollars (the drop of $30M from the ferrari paycheck being made up by whatever he gets driving for someone else such as mac)---$10M to 20M, would any of you give up ten million or more????

esp. if u already have one WDC to your name?????Wait, so Ferrari bought out Kimi's contract with the stipulation that his pay from next year's salary would be slashed if Kimi chose to drive for another team? I think I'm missing something here....

DexDexter
5th November 2009, 08:07
You never know...going to McLaren might be the making of Sutil, sometimes a driver and team/car just click. Happened to Frentzen at Jordan and I never thought he was a particualrly outstanding driver, just made the most of what he had at the time.

Why on earth would Mclaren want to take Sutil who was outraced or qualified many times this year by Fisi, who, it must be said, isn't particularly convincing driver these days.

And how has Fisi raced recently in the Ferrari compared to let's say Kobayashi, another driver with an unfamiliar car? It's so funny how people went on about Massa being faster than Kimi for god knows how long and now they seem to erase Fisi's performance in relation to Kimi in a day, and rate Sutil who, on the basis of results, is not a better driver than the Italian.

Valve Bounce
5th November 2009, 08:31
Hey!! I just used the word Sutil as an example. Let's not get carried away here. :p :

Dzeidzei
5th November 2009, 09:01
Wait, so Ferrari bought out Kimi's contract with the stipulation that his pay from next year's salary would be slashed if Kimi chose to drive for another team? I think I'm missing something here....

I think quite a few are missing something. Ferrari (read Santander) pay Kimi for the breaking the contract. I havent seen any reliable source telling that KR would lose this compansation if he drove for another team.

McL might think that Kimi will drive for free as he already gets that kind of money. I think they are not discussing money at all. Its about pr duties and the possibility to drive some wrc rallyes during the season.

PS. Just a thought... what if Kimi signed with Toyota and the Japs still pull out. Would Kimi be getting compensation from 2 teams and some salary for the McL drive anyway. Now that would certainly be weird..

jens
5th November 2009, 10:40
But I seriously doubt that Ferrari was retarded enough to pay him $50mm.

You shouldn't underestimate current Ferrari management in this respect. :p :

F1boat
5th November 2009, 15:40
You shouldn't underestimate current Ferrari management in this respect. :p :

ROFL

Hondo
5th November 2009, 21:58
Based upon their performance over the last half of the season and their enthusiasm to remain in the game, I'd love to see Kimi drive for Force India next year. They are at the point they could benefit from a balls out, hard charger next year and there aren't many to pick from. He could remake his name there and help put finishing touches on Sutil.

keysersoze
5th November 2009, 23:16
Based upon their performance over the last half of the season and their enthusiasm to remain in the game, I'd love to see Kimi drive for Force India next year.

Now THIS is a funny post! The Iceman wouldn't condescend to spend even one minute under the Force India hospitality tent, much less drive their cars.

Valve Bounce
6th November 2009, 00:28
Based upon their performance over the last half of the season and their enthusiasm to remain in the game, I'd love to see Kimi drive for Force India next year. They are at the point they could benefit from a balls out, hard charger next year and there aren't many to pick from. He could remake his name there and help put finishing touches on Sutil.

The owner is not short of a quid, that's for sure. And the car isn't half bad; with Kimi in the driver's seat, they could win several races next year.

Saint Devote
6th November 2009, 02:35
Ross Brawn also commented that Kimi is too expensive.
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/11/03/raikkonen-too-expensive-says-brawn/
"However, what does Ross make of the requested figures from the man who was the highest-paid driver on the grid in 2009? "Too expensive," the Englishman said of Räikkönen. "His management negotiate as if there is no seperation from Ferrari."

Of course, as we see with Jenson, Ross is a bit stingy /he reminds me of Frank Williams/, but if McLaren find Kimi expensive, maybe Brawn has a point with the problem.

Ross Brawn and Frank Williams are not stingy - get real. They are team bosses negotiating with drivers over MILLIONS. It is clearly debatable whether drivers are worth what they are asking when it comes to arguing millions anyway. I am sure Ferrari are grinding their teeth realizing that Raikkonen cost them over 100 million now over the past 12 months with little to show for it. It is a disgusting thing to observe people with more money that they will ever need being brattish.

As Jackie Stewart noted a few days ago, a driver in Button's position should not quibble over a couple of million because over the next few years he will earn a great deal of money.

As history shows, no team should become dependent on any driver.

Clearly if Raikkonen is holding out over having to make sponsor appearances then Mclaren should shut down negotiations. He is not the only driver available and quite frankly I think that Hamilton would whip his ass.

Actually Mclaren do not need a second driver to win. They need a driver that is good at development and will support the team - Kimi is not a team player.

I think that most likely Raikkonen will retire and we have seen Kimi in his last grand prix.

F1boat
6th November 2009, 07:02
I am sure Ferrari are grinding their teeth realizing that Raikkonen cost them over 100 million now over the past 12 months with little to show for it.
He won the World Championship. This is not little. And I think that champions should be treated with respect. To me not to increase the already small (compared to other drivers) salary of a World Champion is insulting.
About Kimi, he really wants much. Unlike the case with Jenson, he is very well paid. He wants as much money as Michael had and Michael he is not.

Ranger
6th November 2009, 07:14
Well who are the options for the 2nd seat at McLaren?

Kovalainen - He's a nice guy and won't cost a lot, but that's the only thing he's going for him.

Raikkonen - The best option, but he and his management need to get sensible with his salary (unlikely?). He is perhaps the most overpaid driver in history. Ferrari were dumb to pay him as much as they did.

Sutil - Who suggested him? I don't need to explain why he wouldn't be suitable for the job.

Heidfeld - Relatively cheap, consistent. Out-pointed Kubica despite usually anonymous and sometimes unexplainably terrible performances.

If its an option between paying Raikkonen more than $20 million or getting Heidfeld, McLaren should get Heidfeld lickety split.

F1boat
6th November 2009, 07:37
Well who are the options for the 2nd seat at McLaren?

Kovalainen - He's a nice guy and won't cost a lot, but that's the only thing he's going for him.

Raikkonen - The best option, but he and his management need to get sensible with his salary (unlikely?). He is perhaps the most overpaid driver in history. Ferrari were dumb to pay him as much as they did.

Sutil - Who suggested him? I don't need to explain why he wouldn't be suitable for the job.

Heidfeld - Relatively cheap, consistent. Out-pointed Kubica despite usually anonymous and sometimes unexplainably terrible performances.

If its an option between paying Raikkonen more than $20 million or getting Heidfeld, McLaren should get Heidfeld lickety split.

And Button is also an unlikely possibility. He is a world champion and a lot cheaper then Lewis. He will be at least a solid and consistent finisher.

DexDexter
6th November 2009, 07:46
Now THIS is a funny post! The Iceman wouldn't condescend to spend even one minute under the Force India hospitality tent, much less drive their cars.

Yep, and I think the guy was being serious :D :D .

DexDexter
6th November 2009, 08:49
Well, If Kimi doesn't get a ride, he could do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3JgNTnXcbk&feature=related

:D

Valve Bounce
6th November 2009, 08:53

[B]

I don't understand why I have this gut feeling about Sutil. Kimi did cost him a win when he was in an obviously inferior car. I guess he is a fighter more than anything else. God knows he ran into Ant that many times that cost Ant races. Who knows? Maybe he will come good driving for Mallya. Maybe I'm just being silly about this guy, who knows. Some of us are punters and like the outsiders.

keysersoze
6th November 2009, 11:44
Ross Brawn and Frank Williams are not stingy - get real. They are team bosses negotiating with drivers over MILLIONS. It is clearly debatable whether drivers are worth what they are asking when it comes to arguing millions anyway. I am sure Ferrari are grinding their teeth realizing that Raikkonen cost them over 100 million now over the past 12 months with little to show for it. It is a disgusting thing to observe people with more money that they will ever need being brattish.

As Jackie Stewart noted a few days ago, a driver in Button's position should not quibble over a couple of million because over the next few years he will earn a great deal of money.

As history shows, no team should become dependent on any driver.

Clearly if Raikkonen is holding out over having to make sponsor appearances then Mclaren should shut down negotiations. He is not the only driver available and quite frankly I think that Hamilton would whip his ass.

Actually Mclaren do not need a second driver to win. They need a driver that is good at development and will support the team - Kimi is not a team player.

I think that most likely Raikkonen will retire and we have seen Kimi in his last grand prix.

I knew I'd agree with you at some point, SD, although I'm not sure where you got the $100 million figure and I'm not certain Lewis would crush Kimi.

Saint Devote
6th November 2009, 11:45
I was very surprised to see a statement like this from someone who has gushed over Jenson claiming the "ultimate motorsport prize".. If you think winning one WDC and helping a team to 2 WCC is very little in 3 years I might add, then you are seriously devaluing JB's achievements this season.

Yes Raikkonen was on an obscene amount of money, but Ferrari were more than willing to pay that so that was their mistake. Drivers can ask for what they want, but the're only worth what teams are willing to pay for them. :)

I am a Jenson supporter but that does not mean I slavishly support every position he may take.

He is entitled to ask and negotiate for as much as he can, but should not let it trip up the future. Being WDC will earn him many millions in the next couple of years if he manages things well.

Raikkonen won in 2007 but his value is not the same now - in f1 a year is a long time ago and three is eternity.

Kimi on the day is brilliant but as a fan observing a driver he is to me largely an enigma. I am beginning to think that that was why Ferrari made the decision they did.

Given the situation Alonso was a no-brainer and maybe contrary to expectations the relationship will work well.

Saint Devote
6th November 2009, 11:52
I knew I'd agree with you at some point, SD, although I'm not sure where you got the $100 million figure and I'm not certain Lewis would crush Kimi.

I was mistaken about the numbers, by a LOT!! Mclaren are not desparate for Raikkonen thats evident and maybe another driver I have [perhaps] underrrated, Nick Heidfeld would be a better fit for Mclaren.

F1boat
6th November 2009, 15:03

I was mistaken about the numbers, by a LOT!! Mclaren are not desparate for Raikkonen thats evident and maybe another driver I have [perhaps] underrrated, Nick Heidfeld would be a better fit for Mclaren.

From a racing and strategy point of view, Heidfeld is the best choice by far. He is an experienced driver, who will be happy to help Lewis and ger his first victory. He is also consistent and for sure will punish rivals for their mistakes. And he has a McLaren background from F3000.
Kimi is IMO a faster driver, but I do not think that two alpha dogs in one pride is a good idea. On the other hand from a marketing point of view, he is a great choice, the media will go crazy, the two champions, the two stars, the great duel and so on. But Kimi hates PR so this diminishes the media advantage in a way, so Nick remains the best idea.
Button will also be a marketing dream, but as I said, two alpha dogs in one pride is not an ideal situation.

rabf1
6th November 2009, 16:53
There doesn't seem to be another Michael Schumacher out there. Ferrari thought Kimi was, but it turned out he wasn't. Now they think Fred is. I'm starting to think they aren't so smart after all.

F1boat
6th November 2009, 16:54
There doesn't seem to be another Michael Schumacher out there. Ferrari thought Kimi was, but it turned out he wasn't. Now they think Fred is. I'm starting to think they aren't so smart after all.

I think that every team hopes for a new MS but IMO MS is unique. We won't see someone like him soon.

Saint Devote
7th November 2009, 01:14

The cars and tyres have changed significantly over the past three years and in 2010 they will be even more so.

These days ONE tyre company - and maybe in 2011 f1 will race on wooden ones :D - makes control tyres and the driver and team have to adapt.

Some drivers just have such fundamentally opposing styles - such as Sebastien Bourdais - that they cannot.

Others such as Raikkonen eventually adapt to the tyres but if the team has a car suited better to understeer than oversteer - Kimi prefers oversteer like..... LEWIS! there is great difficulty. The two of them at Mclaren would be excellent for the team. The Ferrari F60 was better suited to Massa - who is an understeer driver like Jenson - and when he was out, the car began to be set up towards Raikkonen who still flattered the Ferrari to win at Spa.

A team such as Renault just lost the plot entirely because their basic design was based on the Michelin and they just never caught up.

I do not like the way f1 is that way - it makes finding another Schumacher very unlikely.

I think Schumacher discovered that and is definitely a significant part why he did not return. The GP2 tyres and the car from 2007 - the first year of the 2007 - 2009 period - told him enough.

Boudica
7th November 2009, 13:11
Interview with Kimi

- What is your ideal hour to wake up in the morning?
(Laughs) Eleven.

- Italians are rather open people. Has it been a problem for you in these three years?
No, I have always had a good relationship. It’s true, they are passionate in many ways but I wouldn’t say it has never been a problem.

- How many words have you learned in Italian, not the dirty words?
Well, I say something, but not much (smiles and makes clear that he doesn’t intend to perform).

- Being a F1 driver is great for what reasons?
Because I’ve always loved sports and driving, but driving is the best thing for sure.

- What is your worst nightmare?
Don’t know, I sometimes have nightmares but when they are very bad I wake up. But it usually happens that shortly after you woke up you forget everything.

- Can you tell us something about you that you think people have totally misunderstood?
No, I don’t tell you.

- Is there a category that you hate, journalists apart?
No, there isn’t. And I don’t even hate the journalists, the fact is that I don’t like being with them, because of this job I love the sport, not talking. But I can say that many of them are also interesting people, but simply answering to the questions it’s not something I enjoy.

- If you had to choose to have only one car in your garage, what would it be?
I have one in my mind, but I think it would be a vintage car, maybe of the '60s.

- What drives you crazy?
Many things, but sometimes it depends on whether you're in a bad mood and someone just says the wrong thing and in the end you get angry.

- You had many teammates. Who was the strongest one in your opinion?
I can say that in the past I’ve had very strong ones, but if I have to do a choice I would say Felipe Massa without doubt.

- Over the last two years you received various criticisms, maybe someone didn’t correspond to reality, so which one gave you most trouble?
In Formula 1, people talk, criticize, but I don’t care. If they want to write bad things they do it, nothing changes for me, I mean ... It’s part of life.

- What you will take away from this experience at Ferrari?
The best memory: I won the World Championship.

- What do you think that you will miss?
I met some beautiful people, basically I will miss them.

- Is there anything that scares you?
Nothing.

- What makes you nervous?
Usually I’m always nervous at the start of races, but then it’s a feeling that goes away. In life there are a lot of things that make me nervous.

- You can’t live without...?
Many things ... even if it’s true that to live you really need very little, I mean once you have water and food you'll be ok.

- What is your favorite food?
Pasta (before arriving in Ferrari he was a fan of chicken).

- Do you think Ferrari fans are different from others?
I don’t think they are different, they only have a lot of passion. To have fans is a beautiful thing and however they are, it’s fine for me.

Boudica
7th November 2009, 13:14
Kimi's column - Three years with Ferrari came and went. It was a fabulous time.

My dream came true the first time when we won the championship. We started well at the second time and were third in the final points. About this time there is a little in my toothole because we would have wanted to race for the championship but weren't able to do so at any point. At least there were a few races that made me happy.

I will have only good memories of the team and got some friends forever from there. Thank you to all of them. Ciao Ferrari!

The season and my job-time with the team ended in Abu Dhabi. It wasn't much of a race. We didn't get anywhere on the technical track with our car. And as a track it didn't really fire me up at all. These modern tracks don't seem to be my thing. I dig the old lanes. There's a good thing going on on those tracks. These new tracks just don't offer the same feeling to really really race.

We already knew when going there that Yas Marina is going to be as tricky to us as Singapore was. The more curves, the more our car loses time. We were almost in Q3 in quali. 11th position was a good result. We lost one place in the start and stayed there too.

The gang probably asks what we do next year. I think we can at some point tell what we have decided. I can say that much that the motivation hasn't gone anywhere. Racing interests me as much as it did when I was a kid. Racing is everything!

But now I'm going on a short vacation. The season was hard and we knew it already before we started to race when we were so much behind the lead. Fortunately we at least won in Spa. That is the highlight of this season and the only thing that stays in my mind.

F1 is going through a tough change. The regulations will change again. Let's hope that in the future they will be the same for everyone and in a way so that they can be understood as you want to.

I'm preparing for the next season like before. First I take in a breath of fresh air and then I'll keep the touch alive. Let's wait and see where we will drive. Thank you to all the fans and mates who have supported me. The fight goes on!
(Translation thanks to Nicole)

F1boat
7th November 2009, 13:19
Kimi's column - Three years with Ferrari came and went. It was a fabulous time.

My dream came true the first time when we won the championship. We started well at the second time and were third in the final points. About this time there is a little in my toothole because we would have wanted to race for the championship but weren't able to do so at any point. At least there were a few races that made me happy.

I will have only good memories of the team and got some friends forever from there. Thank you to all of them. Ciao Ferrari!

The season and my job-time with the team ended in Abu Dhabi. It wasn't much of a race. We didn't get anywhere on the technical track with our car. And as a track it didn't really fire me up at all. These modern tracks don't seem to be my thing. I dig the old lanes. There's a good thing going on on those tracks. These new tracks just don't offer the same feeling to really really race.

We already knew when going there that Yas Marina is going to be as tricky to us as Singapore was. The more curves, the more our car loses time. We were almost in Q3 in quali. 11th position was a good result. We lost one place in the start and stayed there too.

The gang probably asks what we do next year. I think we can at some point tell what we have decided. I can say that much that the motivation hasn't gone anywhere. Racing interests me as much as it did when I was a kid. Racing is everything!

But now I'm going on a short vacation. The season was hard and we knew it already before we started to race when we were so much behind the lead. Fortunately we at least won in Spa. That is the highlight of this season and the only thing that stays in my mind.

F1 is going through a tough change. The regulations will change again. Let's hope that in the future they will be the same for everyone and in a way so that they can be understood as you want to.

I'm preparing for the next season like before. First I take in a breath of fresh air and then I'll keep the touch alive. Let's wait and see where we will drive. Thank you to all the fans and mates who have supported me. The fight goes on!
(Translation thanks to Nicole)

From this editorial he seems a really nice guy, and from te interview I get the same impression.

Boudica
7th November 2009, 13:20
There is rumours that Kimi has signed a contract with Mclaren for $3 million plus $200 000 per point and $1 million bonus per win. Many people claim that an announcement will be made on Monday, lets wait and see.

Boudica
7th November 2009, 13:23
From this editorial he seems a really nice guy, and from the interview I get the same impression.

Apparently he writes those Finnish reviews himself, and he is apparently quite clever with words sometimes, according to the Finnish fans.

DexDexter
7th November 2009, 19:10
Apparently he writes those Finnish reviews himself, and he is apparently quite clever with words sometimes, according to the Finnish fans.

Who told you that? To be honest, those reviews don't seem like they are written by him. He's got a vocational school background, so I'm sure he is not a poet.

Boudica
7th November 2009, 22:50
Who told you that? To be honest, those reviews don't seem like they are written by him. He's got a vocational school background, so I'm sure he is not a poet.

I think someone asked him, the English ones was just written by Ferrari and he just give them guidelines about what to write. But the Finnish ones are apparently written by himself, it wasn't just fans who claimed he could be quite clever with words or the using of words, but his own family have also mentioned it. Apparently it a big part of his sense of humour, but people often dont get it. But it is not necessarily in the sense of being poetic or anything, if you understand what I mean.

Saint Devote
8th November 2009, 00:19
Just because he had a vocational education does not mean he cannot string sentences together well.

I think Kimi liking cars from the 60's - he bought a classic American sportscar [don't remember the name] from acress Sharon Staone at a charity auction for a few hundred thousand as I recall, and not liking places like Yas Marina but preferring the old real racing tracks says a lot about him.

In line with that he is the master of Spa and of course won this year!! Kimi is a driver that would have loved past era's. Probably would have been great pals with the likes of Steve Mcqueen, Paul Newman, AJ Foyt, Villeneuve and Mario Andretti!

I know now why I have always like Kimi and indeed it will be a big loss for f1 if he is not on the grid in 2010.

jas123f1
8th November 2009, 00:26

Really? Do you know something or are only speaking b***s*** ?
I can say that looks very much like Kimi "him self" - do you know some other who speaks like that? "I don't care style”.

Boudica
8th November 2009, 04:04
Really? Do you know something or are only speaking b***s*** ?
I can say that looks very much like Kimi "him self" - do you know some other who speaks like that? "I don't care style”.

What do you mean, I dont understand what exactly you are implying here? I said Kimi writes his Finnish column himself, do you agree with that or do you disagree with that statement?

I am sorry, but I just cant quite figure out if you are lashing out because I said it was written by him, or because I said it wasn't written by him? :p :

Koz
12th November 2009, 08:13
Still no news for Kimi?

DexDexter
12th November 2009, 09:10
Ongoing negotiations I hear.

Saint Devote
12th November 2009, 10:24
Still no news for Kimi?

Given the ridiculous testing ban and petulance from teams, no driver may drive until the new year.

I think this drags negotiations out where you have drivers with questionable views of their value.

Essentially teams have to decide what exactly they seek from their drivers too.

Question: is Kimi a worthwhile hire?

Prima donnas in all their manifestations are not welcome in f1 and this term is now coming to mind where Kimi is concerned.

I consider Mclaren to have dropped the ball by not quickly reaching for Nico Hulkenberg. His racing pedigree is every bit equal to that of Hamiltons'. Instead he has been banished to a lower order team alongside an f1 geriatric.

I admit that I have been less than correct about Nick Heidfeld and he has demonstrated this past season that he can deliver and his teammate was Kubica. He does not destroy cars and his experience is valuable - remember his rain tyre decision.

There are more drivers than cars - advantage constructors. There is also no guarantee which Kimi will arrive at Mclaren. Again - it depends what Mclaren are seeking from their other driver.

But given the apparent negotiation impasse - the Woking team should play hardball and declare sign as we want or I say - sign Heidfeld.

They would definitely do no worse than Kovaleinen and the reaction from Heidfeld may be so powerful we will all be surprised.

It is neccessary to stamp out the rising tide of prima donnas and Mclaren have experienced this - they must be looking on with great amusement and no regret the Alonso-Ferrari tie-up.

Malbec
12th November 2009, 10:30
The driver market impasse isn't due to whether Kimi wants to go to McLaren, rather what Mercedes intends to do with BrawnGP. If Merc takes a stake they'll have Rosberg at Brackley, if the deal falls through then perhaps not. Until Haug signs on the dotted line McLaren and Brawn won't be able to fill their second seats and Kimi won't know if he's in at McLaren. I don't know what the holdup with Button is though.

Valve Bounce
12th November 2009, 10:53
Prima donnas in all their manifestations are not welcome in f1 ................

OK! I'll bite! So what's your excuse? :D

I am evil Homer
12th November 2009, 11:23
?

Prima donnas in all their manifestations are not welcome in f1 and this term is now coming to mind where Kimi is concerned.

I consider Mclaren to have dropped the ball by not quickly reaching for Nico Hulkenberg. His racing pedigree is every bit equal to that of Hamiltons'.

As ever your posts make me laugh!

12th November 2009, 13:00
Mclaren are in no rush.

Besides which, Prima Donnas and people who don't like work are only worth employing when they get results.....or take a massive pay cut.

DexDexter
12th November 2009, 19:15
Steve Robertson said to Mtv3 that the negotiations are ongoing but nothing has been decided. He said there is no deadline and they'll continue as long as it takes... He also confirmed that Kimi is not interested in driving for any other team besides Mclaren.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/f1/2009/11/995657

keysersoze
12th November 2009, 20:06
There is rumours that Kimi has signed a contract with Mclaren for $3 million plus $200 000 per point and $1 million bonus per win. Many people claim that an announcement will be made on Monday, lets wait and see.

If true, 80 points and three wins (my modest prediction if he goes to McLaren) means $22,000,000 for the Kimster. With his severance from Ferrari, that's a lot of acquavite.

Boudica
12th November 2009, 23:34
The Robertsons have been spotted around Woking where they met up with Martin Whitmarsh.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091112165603.shtml

Saint Devote
13th November 2009, 00:09
OK! I'll bite! So what's your excuse? :D

I am stuck in a time warp? :s mokin:

Ranger
16th November 2009, 21:43
So...with Button likely to join McLaren, does this mean we've seen the final Grand Prix of Kimi Raikkonen?

raikk
17th November 2009, 00:12
Mclaren do the right thing and sign Raikkonen pleaasee :(

Julle69
17th November 2009, 11:50
So...with Button likely to join McLaren, does this mean we've seen the final Grand Prix of Kimi Raikkonen?
Things are looking tricky for Kimi but I still think there is room for Kimi in F1. It's strange situation if you get more money when not driving than inside the car. I really hope he stay in F1 and keep rallying as a hobby.

N. Jones
17th November 2009, 13:14
I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but why not Kimi at Mercedes GP? Would he not have a good relationship with them from his days at McLaren? If it is indeed Button-Hamilton and McLaren, why not Raikkonen-Rosberg at Mercedes?

rabf1
17th November 2009, 13:53
Maybe the reason Button is going to Maclaren is that Mercedes wants Kimi on their new team. But probably not. I'm guessing Mercedes signs Heidfeld to pair with Rosberg.

Roamy
17th November 2009, 17:40
I say he will take a year off.

gloomyDAY
17th November 2009, 17:43
I say he will take a year off.Yes, and once Button fails to do anything against Hamilton in the McLaren, they'll come begging for Kimi.

truefan72
17th November 2009, 17:49
Yes, and once Button fails to do anything against Hamilton in the McLaren, they'll come begging for Kimi.

yep,

but kimi might end up at Renault.

If he wants to drive in 2010. He might take a year off as well IMo, The money is real good if he does so. Recharge the batteries and see where things play out with RBR, Mclaren, Brawn, and Renault, or even Sauber.

Somebody
17th November 2009, 19:08
Re Meester Jones

I believe the thinking is that: If Russ (and Merc confirmed to Autosport that they've locked Mr Brawn down as team principal for a fair number of years as part of the buyout) wasn't prepared to pay X to Bunsen as part of the budget-balancing, he's not likely to sanction paying twice that to Kimi.[/*:m:1zz467f2] Kimi's publically stated that it's McLaren or nothing for 2010[/*:m:1zz467f2] Kimi's redundancy payout drops by €7m if he drives for another team next year, so he and his 10%ers aren't likely to drop their demands; and[/*:m:1zz467f2] There's a suggestion that the guy Merc REALLY want is Vettel, and he's off-limits for now...[/*:m:1zz467f2]

F1boat
17th November 2009, 19:21
If Kimi takes a year off, it will be over IMO.

MJW
17th November 2009, 19:43
Kimi will be in the World Rally Championship in 2010.

Julle69
17th November 2009, 19:43
Yes in F1 for sure, but I'm sure Kimi is driving next year. If it's not F1 then it is in WRC. In finnish media they are saying today that Kimi is negotiating with Citroen for full season in WRC and then it's all over for formula one and that's a pity!

F1boat
17th November 2009, 19:56
Yes in F1 for sure, but I'm sure Kimi is driving next year. If it's not F1 then it is in WRC. In finnish media they are saying today that Kimi is negotiating with Citroen for full season in WRC and then it's all over for formula one and that's a pity!
Wow. In Citroen? That's very interesting. It will be very surprising if Citroen signs an unknown WRC quantity, but on the other hand the media noise will be awesome and this will be very good for the World Rally Championship.

jens
17th November 2009, 22:15

I'm not so sure about that. We have seen such guys before, who have left F1 and then later suddenly realized that they still want to race. Villeneuve being one of the latest examples. :p : Another question is that what is Kimi ready to accept in 2011 and beyond. If his attitude is continually "only Ferrari or McLaren and nothing else", he is not going to find a drive. But if he is ready to accept driving for other teams, he might be a contender for various seats... for reasonable price, of course.

Anyway, I don't blame Kimi for leaving F1 and if he didn't have 100% will to keep going (didn't want to keep racing at any cost even if it hadn't been financially as beneficial), then taking a break and having a new kind of life regime instead of F1 might do only good for him to realize, what does he really like to do the most. Looking forward to see him in other adventures. :up:

Jarno
17th November 2009, 22:54
It has been announced that Kimi won't drive next year :( :(

N. Jones
17th November 2009, 23:22
Re Meester Jones

I believe the thinking is that: If Russ (and Merc confirmed to Autosport that they've locked Mr Brawn down as team principal for a fair number of years as part of the buyout) wasn't prepared to pay X to Bunsen as part of the budget-balancing, he's not likely to sanction paying twice that to Kimi.[/*:m:29o76rxd] Kimi's publically stated that it's McLaren or nothing for 2010[/*:m:29o76rxd] Kimi's redundancy payout drops by €7m if he drives for another team next year, so he and his 10%ers aren't likely to drop their demands; and[/*:m:29o76rxd] There's a suggestion that the guy Merc REALLY want is Vettel, and he's off-limits for now...[/*:m:29o76rxd]

Ah, thank you.

True about Brawn, but I think Ross was all handcuffed cash-wise and I doubt that Mercedes is in the same boat. They could make and even bigger splash by signing him, especially since the team is a double-winner.

Koz
17th November 2009, 23:53
It has been announced that Kimi won't drive next year :( :(

RIP Kimi Raikkonen's career.

Very sad to see this happen.

He should have accepted Toyota's offer. With a big name like his they would have stayed in the game.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21984.html

Saint Devote
18th November 2009, 00:21
RIP Kimi Raikkonen's career.

Very sad to see this happen.

He should have accepted Toyota's offer. With a big name like his they would have stayed in the game.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21984.html

Raikkonen's career is far from over. I am disappointed that he will not race in 2010 and if Mercedes Benz were apparently not so stuck in the nationalistic groove, he would have been a fine replacement.

There never was a possibility that he would jooin a no hoper team like Toyota was - he is driver that seeks a winning car from the start. Nothing else.

If he joins Red Bull Racing for 2011 - it will be superb and he could become another driver that has taken a sabbatical and returned to win the championship.

maximilian
18th November 2009, 00:50
Good riddance, then... :D

As fast and brilliant as he may often be, his personality is a nightmare for teams, sponsors, and fans, and if he asks exorbitantly huge amounts of money, why WOULD a team hire him in the current climate of cost-saving where not even the reigning world champion can get a substantial pay raise from his own team... (granted, we ARE talking about Jenson Button here, but still...) :p :

jas123f1
18th November 2009, 01:09
Raikkonen's career is far from over. I am disappointed that he will not race in 2010.

The reason is – I think – that Kimi didn't like to pay 2 million only to get a drive and that would be the result if he had accepted the McLaren effort. Ferrari/ (Santander) pays him that much that he still has the biggest salary of all F1 drivers (without to drive a meter). Rally next...

Will see if he is back 2011 – however now we have a F1 circus without Kimi … and I will keep my fingers to Vettel next year.. I like Massa but … never more Ferrari.. first Schumi with all his tricks and now a bank which pay and decide who will be Ferrari driver.. They paid out one of the biggest concurrent they had.. (Rumours are saying - 17 million euro only to Kimi).

Alonso has a good seat - Schumi will not be there next year to help Massa and it will make it a bit more difficult for him next year.. and easier to Alonso..

:wave:

gloomyDAY
18th November 2009, 03:44
Adios Kimi!

See you at Red Bull Racing in 2011.

F1boat
18th November 2009, 07:10
I wish Kimi all the best in his non-F1 career. I'd be very happy if he becomes successful in the WRC.

DexDexter
18th November 2009, 07:35
Good riddance, then... :D

As fast and brilliant as he may often be, his personality is a nightmare for teams, sponsors, and fans, and if he asks exorbitantly huge amounts of money, why WOULD a team hire him in the current climate of cost-saving where not even the reigning world champion can get a substantial pay raise from his own team... (granted, we ARE talking about Jenson Button here, but still...) :p :

You do know that he is actually one of the most popular current F1 drivers? Outside his native country as well. It's a sad day for F1 that a driver like Kimi is not there in 2010. Yes the guy is different, shy, introvert (even for a Finn) but the reason I like him so much is that he does what he wants and cannot be controlled by any corporate types or anybody else. That's rare in F1 these days, most of the drivers are puppets of the teams.

I gotta say that I've followed F1 since 1982 when I was a small kid and for the first time I'm not sure whether I watch it next season. I will probably (when I get over this disappoinment). :(

F1boat
18th November 2009, 08:01
To all the Finns, how serious is Kimi about the WRC?