PDA

View Full Version : Kidnapped girl held captive for 18 years rescued in California

Jag_Warrior
28th August 2009, 22:03
This story is so strange it's almost unreal. Kidnapped at 11, had kids with this character and was only rescued on a fluke... and what's more, he had a wife who knew all about this!!!

People are crazy and times are strange. But it makes you wonder how many other kids are out there somewhere, living this sort of existence? And as bad as I feel for Jaycee Dugard (the girl), can you imagine what it's going to be like for the kids she had with Phillip Garrido?! Talk about growing up in the pits of Hell!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,544020,00.html

wedge
28th August 2009, 23:05
Mental isn't it?

Hate to think what paedophile rings are up to right now... *shudders*

Drew
28th August 2009, 23:07
Think, there've been a few cases recently discovered, I'd hate to think how many more there could be out there.

BDunnell
28th August 2009, 23:37
Does this sorry affair not demonstrate how little value laws allowing people to know if a convicted sex offender is living in the vicinity actually have, other than for feeding paranoia?

chuck34
29th August 2009, 01:57
Does this sorry affair not demonstrate how little value laws allowing people to know if a convicted sex offender is living in the vicinity actually have, other than for feeding paranoia?

I think the laws have gotten much stricter since '91. Plus the "law" only does so much. As sad and tragic as it is, the law (aka. police) can only be in so many places at once.

I don't know what the solution is, but better rehabilitation for pedofiles (man I can't spell) MUST be part of it. What we are doing now, and certainly what we did in '71, wasn't enough.

chuck34
29th August 2009, 01:59

Wait. Taking that another way, are you suggesting that convicted sex offenders should be allowed to live in an area WITHOUT alerting their neighbors?

steve_spackman
29th August 2009, 03:48
At the end of the day, it has turned into a happy ending. Most cases like this dont end on a good note..we should be thankful she is able to return to her family.

BDunnell
29th August 2009, 17:44
Wait. Taking that another way, are you suggesting that convicted sex offenders should be allowed to live in an area WITHOUT alerting their neighbors?

Yes, of course. There is no such law in the UK; I doubt there is in most of Europe. Despite what the media might have us think, there is no greater greater danger posed by paedophiles now than there has ever been. I agree with you that rehabilitation probably needs to be better; however, I am convinced that there is no need to let people know their whereabouts. There have been calls for this in the UK, but as an over-emotional reaction to certain cases.

Wade91
29th August 2009, 18:15
of cource they should, why should anybody have to go around knocking on everybodys door giving everyone info on their ciminal record when they move into a certan area? that would be the sillyest law ever lol

Dave B
30th August 2009, 18:04
But won't you think of the poor old News of the World editors, desperate for a lead story on a Friday lunchtime before they down tools and go to the pub for the weekend, who otherwise wouldn't have any "Paedos In YOUR Town" headlines to scare their readers with? You barbarian. :p

BDunnell
30th August 2009, 21:30
But won't you think of the poor old News of the World editors, desperate for a lead story on a Friday lunchtime before they down tools and go to the pub for the weekend, who otherwise wouldn't have any "Paedos In YOUR Town" headlines to scare their readers with? You barbarian. :p

In many ways, I'm as bad as them.

I seem to recall one newspaper having a headline that read 'A PAEDO ON EVERY CORNER', which sounded like a special 'collect the tokens' offer.

Garry Walker
30th August 2009, 21:53
If I am not mistaken, this guy was released by an idiot judge before he had done his time in jail, so another victory for liberals and their "rehabilitation"
The reality is that
1)All peddys should rot in jail (well, preferably I would shoot them) after their first offence already, they cannot be cured, they will always be a danger to the society, no matter what idiot liberals think.
2)If released, everyone should have the right to know that there is a peddy living nearby. You talk about the rights of the peddy and that he cannot live safely, well I place the rights of children far higher than the rights of a convicted criminal paedophile. The unhappier the life such a person has, the better.

BDunnell
30th August 2009, 21:59
If I am not mistaken, this guy was released by an idiot judge before he had done his time in jail, so another victory for liberals and their "rehabilitation"
The reality is that
1)All peddys should rot in jail (well, preferably I would shoot them) after their first offence already, they cannot be cured, they will always be a danger to the society, no matter what idiot liberals think.
2)If released, everyone should have the right to know that there is a peddy living nearby. You talk about the rights of the peddy and that he cannot live safely, well I place the rights of children far higher than the rights of a convicted criminal paedophile. The unhappier the life such a person has, the better.

No-one has mentioned anything about 'rights'. It is clear that such laws are of little practical use in protecting anyone, and that all it does is feed the sort of ridiculous hysteria in local communities that rears its head whenever the word 'paedophile' is mentioned, and which had its ugliest expression in Portsmouth several years ago.

Garry Walker
30th August 2009, 22:07
It is clear that such laws are of little practical use in protecting anyone, and that all it does is feed the sort of ridiculous hysteria in local communities that rears its head whenever the word 'paedophile' is mentioned, and which had its ugliest expression in Portsmouth several years ago.

If I was a parent and lived in the city, I sure would be interested in knowing if there is a convicted child molestor living nearby or not. Of course, it would not give 100% protection, nowhere close to it, but it at least would be of some help.

What happened at portsmouth?

BDunnell
30th August 2009, 22:16
What happened at portsmouth?

Such delightful incidents as the hounding out of her home of a paediatrician, because local residents got this confused with 'paedophile'. The attacks on her home were accompanied by similar incidents involving the homes of five other people who were not paedophiles, and not even suspected of so being, but whose addresses were wrongly published by the News of the World as part of its campaign to 'name and shame' sex offenders following the death of Sara Payne. A paedophile had, if I remember rightly, lived at at least one of those addresses in the past, but not at the time. All of this proves to me that people simply cannot be trusted with such information and that its release, whether by a newspaper or the police, who are not known for being 100 per cent competent at the best of times, is an awful idea.

jimakos
31st August 2009, 09:29
Really unbelievable story!
Men like him have to punish very hard...
He managed to destroy a girl's life for ever :mad:

emporer_k
31st August 2009, 12:47
Such delightful incidents as the hounding out of her home of a paediatrician, because local residents got this confused with 'paedophile'. The attacks on her home were accompanied by similar incidents involving the homes of five other people who were not paedophiles, and not even suspected of so being, but whose addresses were wrongly published by the News of the World as part of its campaign to 'name and shame' sex offenders following the death of Sara Payne. A paedophile had, if I remember rightly, lived at at least one of those addresses in the past, but not at the time. All of this proves to me that people simply cannot be trusted with such information and that its release, whether by a newspaper or the police, who are not known for being 100 per cent competent at the best of times, is an awful idea.

Such incidents would likely see peadophiles live "off map" if their names and adresses were published, making them more difficult to find in the event of the authorities wanting to question them.

A.F.F.
31st August 2009, 16:36
Unfortunately there's nothing unbelievable in this story as it seems these incidents take place all over the world all the time. God only knows how many more victims there are suffering at this very moment.

schmenke
31st August 2009, 18:16
Such incidents would likely see peadophiles live "off map" if their names and adresses were published, making them more difficult to find in the event of the authorities wanting to question them.

A National Sex Offender Registry has existed in Canada for some time now that lists the names and current addresses of all convicted sex offenders. I believe DNA data is also available. The list is not posted publically but I believe is made available upon request to the local police department.

Jag_Warrior
31st August 2009, 18:24
What is surprising (or rather amazing) about this story as I've heard it so far, Jaycee was apparently under the spell of this guy to the degree that she had open access to outsiders and even worked for him. One psychologist says that the use of the term "Stockholm Syndrome" doesn't really apply in this case. With her, as he sees it, she just became a part of this (rather weird) family unit. So she had no reason to want to run away or tell anyone about the situation. At some point, this crazy situation may have become her "normal" way of living. Her step dad(?) says this is the reason she's having such a really hard time dealing wth her feelings of closeness and empathy for Garrido.

Let me ask this, has anyone here seen the movie The Night Porter? It's a movie from the mid 70's about a woman who was once a captive in a Nazi camp and then, years later, meets one of her tormentors after the war... and begins a romance with him. Not the exact same circumstances as this. But somehow when I read about this sad story of Jaycee, it made me think of The Night Porter. Hopefully this one will have a happier ending than that movie.

And those kids thought that Jaycee was their sister. Had no idea that she was actually their mother. Wow! This whole thing just boggles my mind.

A.F.F.
31st August 2009, 18:41
I've seen The Night Porter and I wouldn't call it a romance they had :mark:

Or else Max Mosley is the most romantic fella in the world ;)

Jag_Warrior
31st August 2009, 19:45
I've seen The Night Porter and I wouldn't call it a romance they had :mark:

Or else Max Mosley is the most romantic fella in the world ;)

Well, I was trying to be delicate, given the topic of this thread. But that actually does go to the point: we may see relationships such as these one way, while the people involved may see them in a different way.