PDA

View Full Version : Have RBR got to make a decision?

Knock-on
26th August 2009, 11:33
Crunch Time

RBR are safe in 2nd 50 odd points ahead of 3rd place with Ferrari looking likely to be overtaken by McLaren.

They have nobody behind and are 30 odd points behind Brawn with 5 races to go meaning they will have to outscore Brawn by 6 points a weekend. Can’t see that happening.

So, they are 2nd in the Constructors with slim to no chance of change this season so why not take a punt on Webber to try and get him at least above Rubens?

He has a reasonable lead on Vettel and is not in such a dire engine situation. Also, Webbers attraction for bad luck seems to have deserted him for his team mate.

Should they go for it at Spa onwards?

Poll please Pino :D

Sonic
26th August 2009, 11:54
It does seem logical to get behind Webs. So clearly it won't happen! Vettel won't stand for second class treatmentr until a mathematical chance of the title has gone. IMO that will loose them any chance of the drivers title at least. With Webs, Rubens, Hamilton, Vettel all taking points freom each other all Button has to do is keep scoring to win.

Ranger
26th August 2009, 11:59
I'd rather they didn't until either has no mathematical chance to win the title.

It's Vettels lack of spare engines that are looking the most detrimental to his chances at the moment, 4 drivers can still win the title.

F1boat
26th August 2009, 12:05
It does seem logical to get behind Webs. So clearly it won't happen! Vettel won't stand for second class treatmentr until a mathematical chance of the title has gone. IMO that will loose them any chance of the drivers title at least. With Webs, Rubens, Hamilton, Vettel all taking points freom each other all Button has to do is keep scoring to win.

I agree, although if they decide to stay behind Mark, I think that he has a chance.

ioan
26th August 2009, 12:48
IMO they already took a decision and Vettel's new and well remunerated contract was what he got in exchange of helping Webber.

Garry Walker
26th August 2009, 13:17
IMO they already took a decision and Vettel's new and well remunerated contract was what he got in exchange of helping Webber.

Do humour me and tell me how he has helped Webber so far?

By all accounts, Vettel is the golden boy of the team and Webber is the outsider.

Knock-on
26th August 2009, 13:26

By all accounts, Vettel is the golden boy of the team and Webber is the outsider.

I wouldn't say that Webber is an outsider but Vettel does seem to have a rather shiney set of Man fruit as far as Red Bull are concerned.

In what seems to be Red Bulls coming of age, Mark has stepped his game up. I wonder how many people would have expected that?

As much as I am a fan of Marks and think he is one of the most honest and engaging drivers on the grid, I did expect Seb to end this season on top. We can all quote specifics why that hasn't happened but over a season, the luck seems to even out and Mark is doing the bizzo as far as I'm concerned.

ioan
26th August 2009, 13:37

The decision was taken before Valencia, how was he going to help Webber when he had plenty of reliability troubles.

PS: Your post was very funny, to say the least! :D

woody2goody
26th August 2009, 13:41
Garry is right though.

It does seem that Vettel's the one who they really have confidence in for the championship, despite Mark's recent superior efforts.

Garry Walker
26th August 2009, 13:44
The decision was taken before Valencia, how was he going to help Webber when he had plenty of reliability troubles.

PS: Your post was very funny, to say the least! :D

What decision? Proof?

Are you denying Vettel is the golden boy of the team?

I have read of how dissapointed people (at least some, for example Helmut Marko) within Red Bull were when Webber beat Vettel for example at Spain.

Ranger
26th August 2009, 13:56
I've read in several places that Helmut Marko is quite le douche when it comes to drivers who didn't originate from Red Bull's driver program.

ShiftingGears
26th August 2009, 14:00
What decision? Proof?

I have read of how dissapointed people (at least some, for example Helmut Marko) within Red Bull were when Webber beat Vettel for example at Spain.

Where did you read this?

ShiftingGears
26th August 2009, 14:11
Links?

ioan
26th August 2009, 14:26

Why do you put words in others mouth?!

Garry Walker
26th August 2009, 14:30
Why do you put words in others mouth?!
I was asking you, answer it now please.

Also, I asked for proof for your claim that Vettel is helping Webber.

Knock-on
26th August 2009, 14:33
Come on chaps. This is easy if we apply a bit of common sense and don't get anal.

Vettel is seen by Red Bull as the strong hope for the future over Mark and there has been no suggestion or evidence of Vettel helping Mark up to this point.

That's why we are asking if he should do?

Now, put the little fella's away. Peeing contest over :D

ShiftingGears
26th August 2009, 14:39
I was asking you, answer it now please.

Also, I asked for proof for your claim that Vettel is helping Webber.

Can you provide solid evidence for your claim about Helmut Marko?

jens
26th August 2009, 16:00
I don't think RBR is 'favouring' one driver over another, maybe they like Vettel more on personal level, but that could be largely because he is over 10 years younger than Webber and RBR obviously sees its long-term future with the German.

This season reminds me actually a bit of 2007 - four drivers of two top teams are all having a shot at the title. Shame that this time Button has got a bit of an advantage in the championship, in 2007 it was closer.

F1boat
26th August 2009, 19:29
I don't think RBR is 'favouring' one driver over another, maybe they like Vettel more on personal level, but that could be largely because he is over 10 years younger than Webber and RBR obviously sees its long-term future with the German.

This season reminds me actually a bit of 2007 - four drivers of two top teams are all having a shot at the title. Shame that this time Button has got a bit of an advantage in the championship, in 2007 it was closer.

Not really much closer, Lewis had big advantage and look what happened... but I hope that this time Jenson will stay on top!

CNR
26th August 2009, 21:57

this would be like mclaren picking alonso over lewis
redbull have backed vettel for a few years now

ClarkFan
27th August 2009, 02:09
Come on chaps. This is easy if we apply a bit of common sense and don't get anal.

Vettel is seen by Red Bull as the strong hope for the future over Mark and there has been no suggestion or evidence of Vettel helping Mark up to this point.

That's why we are asking if he should do?
He should work to help Webber, but he won't. Significant advantage to Brawn.

Vettel's shot is pretty much gone. With 6 races left, at some point he is going to end up with a high mileage banger behind him or giving up 10 grid slots. That makes seriously competing really tough.

ClarkFan

Saint Devote
27th August 2009, 03:23
Mateschitz in Autosport has said sevarl times and only recently that his interest is to win the constructors title - so as long as the drivers do not take each other out but gain maximum points itis not important to the team owner whether Vettel or Webber would win the title.

Although in addition Chris Horner is given pretty wide range in actually managing the team so I guess if the times comes he will decide on any driver to be favored.

ShiftingGears
27th August 2009, 03:28
I think they should.