PDA

View Full Version : Are Red Bull going to stick with Renault?

gloomyDAY
25th August 2009, 17:45
Doubt it! I think the Renault engine is solid, but the option of using a Mercedes engine is just too tempting. I also think that Vettel's engine woes during Valencia are going to play into the minds of the Red Bull engineers.

Who else is available?

Ferrari - Not sure why Newey/Red Bull isn't sizing them as an option.
Toyota - I don't think they have any takers.
BMW - Nonexistent after 2009.
Renault - Not performing to expectations.
Cosworth - :o

Only real option is Mercedes.

Tazio
25th August 2009, 17:51
I know Fettel only has two new engines left!
Could someone tell me how many Webber has?

Sonic
25th August 2009, 17:52
No. Next question.

gloomyDAY
25th August 2009, 17:59
No. Next question.It's already up fool!

Who's the next option?

Tazio
25th August 2009, 17:59
No. Next question.
Next question:
Could somebody else please tell me?

jens
25th August 2009, 18:02
Interesting thing is that almost all private teams want Mercedes engines. But who will get them? Next year an engine manufacturer can supply as many as 4 teams on the grid, so who will get MB? I guess besides McLaren also Brawn and Force India (5-year-deal) will continue with Mercedes engines, so is RBR going to be the additional fourth?

If so, it looks like Williams could very likely end up with Renault engines next year.

gloomyDAY
25th August 2009, 18:07
Next question:
Could somebody else please tell me?Good question. Anyone know how many engines Webber has left?

Someone posted on a different thread that maybe the problem lies with the engineers, who are not tuning the engine to their driver's driving style. Vettel is very hard on Kate.

ioan
25th August 2009, 19:53
Vettel is very hard on Kate.

Kate? :confused:
I thought it was Kate's dirty sister. :D

ioan
25th August 2009, 19:57
Good question. Anyone know how many engines Webber has left?

Not really, but if you have the patience to read all the FIA technical reports after this season's races than I'm sure it is all in there. Really, it's just that I'm not interested enough to do the research.

Someone posted on a different thread that maybe the problem lies with the engineers, who are not tuning the engine to their driver's driving style. Vettel is very hard on Kate.

The problem lies with Adrian Newey who believes that the engine and it's ancillaries should be as small as possible and he also finds it a pity to leave enough opening on the body work to let the air in and out to the radiators to properly cool that engine.

Sonic
25th August 2009, 20:41
Next question:
Could somebody else please tell me?

Sorry Tazio. I was trying to be funny in response to the thread title but it looks like I'm replying to you (that'll teach me to be a smart a$$).

Anyway as to how many mark has left. Having done some research the answer seems to be 3 left.

All the drivers have used at least 5, with Vettel and Kubica worst placed of all as far as I can work out.

Tazio
25th August 2009, 21:54
Sorry Tazio. I was trying to be funny in response to the thread title but it looks like I'm replying to you (that'll teach me to be a smart a$$).

Anyway as to how many mark has left. Having done some research the answer seems to be 3 left.

All the drivers have used at least 5, with Vettel and Kubica worst placed of all as far as I can work out.Thanks Sonic That puts me in the pound seats in my little wager with Gloomyday! :up:

woody2goody
25th August 2009, 22:47
Well in response to the thread question, I think they should either stay put or get Ferrari engines like STR.

ioan
25th August 2009, 23:03
Apparently it will all be decided until the end of august, so it's probably this coming week end that they will hold talks with Haug.

Oli_M
25th August 2009, 23:51
My understanding was the initial switch by Red Bull from Ferrari to Renault was due to cooling issues with the Ferrari engine. Yes they are strong engines but they couldn't run the aero package they wanted to and provide sufficient cooling.

I'm sure I heard soon after the start of the European season (most likely on BBC Five Live practise coverage seems to ring a bell) that they were attempting to get Merc engines for 2010.

I know the Renault engines were "equalised" for 2009, they don't seem to be down on power anymore, I can't see Merc being cheaper.....

ClarkFan
26th August 2009, 00:50
Doubt it! I think the Renault engine is solid, but the option of using a Mercedes engine is just too tempting. I also think that Vettel's engine woes during Valencia are going to play into the minds of the Red Bull engineers.

Who else is available?

Ferrari - Not sure why Newey/Red Bull isn't sizing them as an option.
Toyota - I don't think they have any takers.
BMW - Nonexistent after 2009.
Renault - Not performing to expectations.
Cosworth - :o

Only real option is Mercedes.

I think they are chasing a will-o-the-wisp. There is abolsutley no certainty that they will not face the same issues with Mercedes, Ferrari, or Toyota.

Red Bull cars have been highly competitive with Renault engines. Renault engines have been quite reliable in Renault chassis. Perhaps RB need to look at how they use those engines.

Mercedes is locked to McLaren, likely to stay with Brawn, and would probably stay with Force India for marketing reasons. Mercedes owns a chunk of McLaren, which Brawn and Red Bull have been caning until the last couple of races. Why would Mercedes want to sign up another team to beat one in which they own an expensive stake? :confused:

ClarkFan

gloomyDAY
26th August 2009, 02:32
Why would Mercedes want to sign up another team to beat one in which they own an expensive stake? :confused:

ClarkFanMercedes would make a chunk of cash! McLaren aren't slow pokes any longer as evidenced in the last three GPs (Germany, Hungary, Europe). I think Red Bull will have a hard time beating McLaren in any race next year regardless of their engine choice.

ClarkFan
27th August 2009, 02:14
Mercedes would make a chunk of cash! McLaren aren't slow pokes any longer as evidenced in the last three GPs (Germany, Hungary, Europe). I think Red Bull will have a hard time beating McLaren in any race next year regardless of their engine choice.
Not that much cash - payments to engine suppliers are limited, and they do have some net expenditure to supply a new team. Their investment in Mac is probably worth well over 100 million - degrade that by 20-30% and the cash from a new engine supply is well past gone.

ClarkFan

Saint Devote
27th August 2009, 03:51
Only if they are nuts!

The Mercedes High Performance Engine facility is located centrally in Britain and they currently produce the best engine in f1.

Their engine production has been refined to a point that any difference is marginal and given the quality and that from 2010 only FIVE engines will be allowed before penalties the MB choice is a no-brainer.

Also, the way the assisted Brawn over the winter so close to the new season demostrates what super people they are.

gloomyDAY
2nd November 2009, 05:14
What's taking so long? Red Bull have not decided on an engine supplier for 2010.

L5->R5/CR
2nd November 2009, 05:45
What's taking so long? Red Bull have not decided on an engine supplier for 2010.

I believe that I read that Mclaren was trying to block a move to allow Red Bull to have Mercedes engines and that Red Bull was going to exhaust all options before renewing with Renault...

jens
2nd November 2009, 15:46
Red Bull has just announced that they will race with Renault engines next year. :p :

truefan72
2nd November 2009, 16:45
From last I heard, Mclaren has veto power and they exerted it so no Mercedes to RBR. I think that Renault just proved how good their engines are when Vettel had to use older engines and unlike BMW's did not blow up and actually got him a race win and a 2nd place in the last 2 races. While Webber got a race win and 2nd place in the last two races as well. Their engine woes in valencia, etc can squarly be blamed at the departure of one of they key engineers and Newy as usual compromising the engine with some ridiculous aero packages. As soon as that situation got sorted out they were good to go again.

It would be madness for them to give up the renault engines. But I don't put anything past the RBR management who have never been that competent IMO.

Trust me, Renault will be supplying the new Sauber team next year if they can't rescue the BMW engine.

jens
2nd November 2009, 16:51
Trust me, Renault will be supplying the new Sauber team next year if they can't rescue the BMW engine.

IIRC Mario Theissen has already announced the Hinwil-based team will be racing with Ferrari engines next year if they make it onto the grid.

ioan
2nd November 2009, 19:11
IIRC Mario Theissen has already announced the Hinwil-based team will be racing with Ferrari engines next year if they make it onto the grid.

Yep.

Garry Walker
2nd November 2009, 19:40
Lets hope they will suck next year :D

UltimateDanGTR
2nd November 2009, 19:57
Red Bull has just announced that they will race with Renault engines next year. :p :

link?

truefan72
3rd November 2009, 02:36

Yep.

hmm ok :)

gloomyDAY
3rd November 2009, 17:14
Lets hope they will suck next year :D Shuddup.

link?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79998