sounds good to me and cant wait

http://msn.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5510683,00.html

truefan72
24th August 2009, 22:55
where have you been? lol

its fairly old news

Saint Devote
25th August 2009, 01:59
I like Suzuka and prefer it for a modern Japanese Grand Prix but am nostalgic over Fuji because it was new and dramatic in 1976 when James Hunt won his championship - he was actually the last to know in pitlane.

And James being James blew-up in a temper before with Teddy Mayer trying to calm him down telling him that he had won :-]

ShiftingGears
25th August 2009, 03:17
I hope there is still the gravel trap at Turn one. It takes away some of the challenge of circuits if drivers know they can mess up such challenging corners and continue the race.

F1boat
25th August 2009, 06:37
I like Suzuka and prefer it for a modern Japanese Grand Prix but am nostalgic over Fuji because it was new and dramatic in 1976 when James Hunt won his championship - he was actually the last to know in pitlane.

And James being James blew-up in a temper before with Teddy Mayer trying to calm him down telling him that he had won :-]

haha, wish I could see that.

UltimateDanGTR
25th August 2009, 07:39
old news, but hey, this is just an excuse to celebrate a great circuit in suzuka, certainly the best circuit asia has to offer, and one of the best in the world IMO, only out done by the likes of de la sarthe, spa, bathurst, nurburgring nordschleife, silverstone etc.

cant wait for this years japanese grand prix then! IMO, much better than the current fuji

WSRfan82
25th August 2009, 08:45
well since the deal was only made this weekend gone i think its pretty new as afar as me knowing.

yeah i cant wait for the Japanese gp now. i liked Fiji as i watch the SuperGT and brough out some great racing but for F1 Suzuka is more challenging and in my eyes one of the classics in the F1 calendar. cant wait

DexDexter
25th August 2009, 10:51
well since the deal was only made this weekend gone i think its pretty new as afar as me knowing.

yeah i cant wait for the Japanese gp now. i liked Fiji as i watch the SuperGT and brough out some great racing but for F1 Suzuka is more challenging and in my eyes one of the classics in the F1 calendar. cant wait

The Japanese gp was always going to be at Suzuka this year.

Saint Devote
25th August 2009, 11:48
I hope there is still the gravel trap at Turn one. It takes away some of the challenge of circuits if drivers know they can mess up such challenging corners and continue the race.

You make an interesting point - but is it better and more interesting to have tarmac allowing the driver to spin and then continue - always the probability of flat-spotting the tyres.

To be caught in the gravel or have the gravel get into air ducts I think is not ideal because he can be eliminated from the race.

Also, with reasonable tarmac and run-off the driver can try harder and that is always good too!

Saint Devote
25th August 2009, 11:50
haha, wish I could see that.

Actually I think you still can - some time ago I recall there was footage on You Tube and it shows Hunt getting out of teh car in a rage with people smiling around him - James totally unawares - while little Mayer attempts to tell Hunt.

Just type in Hunt and Fuji.....
:-]

Saint Devote
25th August 2009, 11:55
old news, but hey, this is just an excuse to celebrate a great circuit in suzuka, certainly the best circuit asia has to offer, and one of the best in the world IMO, only out done by the likes of de la sarthe, spa, bathurst, nurburgring nordschleife, silverstone etc.

cant wait for this years japanese grand prix then! IMO, much better than the current fuji

Absolutely agree. Suzuka is the best Asian circuit although I am partial to Sepang.

Fuji had the view of the mount but is is one of those circuits that was suited for its time only.

The Japanese Nippon series rules [beautiful new cars] are far better than the GP2 because the races are not messed up with stupid sprint events and the races are almost the length of grands prix. Great.

UltimateDanGTR
25th August 2009, 12:28
Absolutely agree. Suzuka is the best Asian circuit although I am partial to Sepang.

Fuji had the view of the mount but is is one of those circuits that was suited for its time only.

The Japanese Nippon series rules [beautiful new cars] are far better than the GP2 because the races are not messed up with stupid sprint events and the races are almost the length of grands prix. Great.

your username reminded me SD-I forgot to mentio monte carlo in that list of classic circuits. shame on me... :)

ShiftingGears
27th August 2009, 03:14
You make an interesting point - but is it better and more interesting to have tarmac allowing the driver to spin and then continue - always the probability of flat-spotting the tyres.

To be caught in the gravel or have the gravel get into air ducts I think is not ideal because he can be eliminated from the race.

Also, with reasonable tarmac and run-off the driver can try harder and that is always good too!

I like gravel run-off areas over tarmac because they punish mistakes.

Saint Devote
27th August 2009, 03:28
your username reminded me SD-I forgot to mentio monte carlo in that list of classic circuits. shame on me... :)

I will try and get over it!

:-]

Saint Devote
27th August 2009, 03:34
I like gravel run-off areas over tarmac because they punish mistakes.

But what if the car becomes stuck in the gravel?

By going off and spinning - maybe flat spotting the tyres the driver is punished, but we get to see hiim to continue to race.

It used to always rain at Fuji and I remember clearly, one of my absolutely favorite drivers, Vittorio Brambilla spinning right behind Hunt in 1976.

Anyone here remember the layers of catch-fencing that was planted in the gravel? Amazing how something at the time can appear to be so safe and today looks so unsafe!

And in those days everyone just accepted the danger of the driver getting trapped in the fencing.

The fencing did work, but it was dangerous.

ShiftingGears
27th August 2009, 03:35
But what if the car becomes stuck in the gravel?

Well, then they are out of the race.